jetsetterusa
Topic Author

AA A319 DFW-SBA pictures?

Wed Apr 05, 2017 4:44 pm

Did anyone get any pics of the AA 319 in SBA on there first day?
Crazy Day Tripper

ericm2031

Re: DFW-SBA PICS

Wed Apr 05, 2017 5:02 pm

Not the best, but caught a couple. There's also a YV CR9 in the background going to PHX.

ImageImage

GSPSPOT

Wed Apr 05, 2017 5:09 pm

Wonder why it's an old US 319 instead of one of AA's nice new ones?
Great Lakes, great life.

UpNAWAy

Wed Apr 05, 2017 5:22 pm

GSPSPOT wrote:

You haven't sat in the AA 319 Coach, I assume.

WALmsp

Wed Apr 05, 2017 5:24 pm

Thanks for the pics. Nice to have some bigger birds at SBA.
In memory of my Dad, Robert "Bob" Fenrich, WAL 1964-1979, MSP ONT LAX

GSPSPOT

Wed Apr 05, 2017 5:30 pm

UpNAWAy wrote:
GSPSPOT wrote:

I have once, in the first (bulkhead) row of economy, DFW-ATL. At least for that length flight, it was comfortable (and I have a notoriously un-padded rear end). The IFE helped I suppose.
Great Lakes, great life.

BoeingGuy

Wed Apr 05, 2017 6:06 pm

GSPSPOT wrote:
UpNAWAy wrote:
GSPSPOT wrote:

I have once, in the first (bulkhead) row of economy, DFW-ATL. At least for that length flight, it was comfortable (and I have a notoriously un-padded rear end). The IFE helped I suppose.

That's Economy+ (or whatever AA calls it). The main coach cabin is 30" seat pitch. I assume that's what the other poster was referring to. The AA A319s are nice, but coach is inhumanely cramped.

kcrwflyer

Wed Apr 05, 2017 8:16 pm

GSPSPOT wrote:

Because that's the plane that rotated into that spot on the schedule. It's just chance.

alasizon

Wed Apr 05, 2017 8:47 pm

kcrwflyer wrote:
GSPSPOT wrote:

Because that's the plane that rotated into that spot on the schedule. It's just chance.

Actually its not, the LUS and the LAA 319s are separate subfleets and this flight is currently scheduled to be an LUS 319 daily.
Manager on Duty & Tower Planner

wn676

Wed Apr 05, 2017 8:53 pm

kcrwflyer wrote:
GSPSPOT wrote:

Not to say that there won't ever be an LAA 319 on that route from time to time, but it is actually scheduled as an LUS 319 as there is still a differentiation between LUS standard, LUS EOW, and LAA 319s.
Tiny, unreadable text leaves ample room for interpretation.

wn676

Wed Apr 05, 2017 8:54 pm

BoeingGuy wrote:
wn676 wrote:
TWA302 wrote:

Not if the photos are not in the database of AA mainline in SBA.

And especially when they just started operating mainline there yesterday.

AA has flown mainline into SBA before with MD-80s. So not their first every mainline to SBA.

Well, first in a long time. When was the last time AA sent mainline to SBA? The late 80s?

syvjeff

Wed Apr 05, 2017 9:09 pm

Thanks for Sharing. I'm one local Santa Barbara County resident happy to see some mainline action in my area. AA starting yesterday to DFW (still an odd time out at 12:05 PM) and United soon to be adding A319 service to Denver and A320 to SF. In fact I just signed up for AA credit card because this road warrior is tired of driving to and from LAX (especially the from part).

FSDan

Wed Apr 05, 2017 9:12 pm

wn676 wrote:
kcrwflyer wrote:
GSPSPOT wrote:

Not to say that there won't ever be an LAA 319 on that route from time to time, but it is actually scheduled as an LUS 319 as there is still a differentiation between LUS standard, LUS EOW, and LAA 319s.

Is there a way to tell that when booking on AA's website, or is it info that is only available internally? It looks like the seat maps are the same.
This is my signature until I think of a better one.

wn676

Wed Apr 05, 2017 10:11 pm

FSDan wrote:
wn676 wrote:
kcrwflyer wrote:

Is there a way to tell that when booking on AA's website, or is it info that is only available internally? It looks like the seat maps are the same.

The equipment designation is internal, however, LUS flight numbers are still 400-899 and 1630-2174 for the time being.

They are able to swap Airbuses between LAA/LUS for operational need IINM, so every once in a while you may see one subfleet subbing in where the other subfleet normally operates.

Wingtips56

Wed Apr 05, 2017 10:16 pm

BoeingGuy wrote:
AA has flown mainline into SBA before with MD-80s. So not their first every mainline to SBA.

I won't swear to it, but I think they may have sent the F-100 there too.
Worked for WestAir, Apollo Airways, Desert Pacific, Western, AirCal and American Airlines (Retired). Flight Memory: 180 airports, 90 airlines, 75 a/c types, 403 routes, 58 countries (by air), 6 continents. 1,117,006 passenger miles.

Home airport : CEC

910A

Wed Apr 05, 2017 11:54 pm

Wingtips56 wrote:
BoeingGuy wrote:

No..The F-100 never made it to the west coast. I'm thinking COS was as far west they went. I pretty sure all the MD-80 flights out of SBA made a stop enroute to DFW: BFL, BUR, are what I remember.

SurfandSnow

Thu Apr 06, 2017 12:03 am

Great to see some good news out of SBA for a change. I wonder if AA and/or UA could be considering service to ORD now that they operate mainline service to SBA? AS could try some intrastate routes like SJC (IIRC UAX did quite well on the route as a p2p operator) and/or SMF (the economy sucked last time they tried it), and I think even WN could be successful seeing as how 3 daily year round flights seems to be the acceptable minimum threshold for domestic stations these days. WN could offer a business friendly morning and evening schedule on OAK-SBA, while LAS-SBA could be a mid-day operation dovetailing with hotel check out/check in times on the LAS end. I daresay WN could offer year round service at PSP in similar fashion... Also, I have to think Santa Barbara is one of the largest and most important domestic markets missing from the DL route map. If SBA can't be served from SLC, perhaps they could do it from LAS?
Flying in the middle seat of coach is much better than not flying at all!

WALmsp

Thu Apr 06, 2017 1:05 am

Back when the economy was a little better, Delta served SLC from SBA with 2x daily. They dropped the service about the same time that Frontier started 2x daily service to DEN, which also was being served by the UA. Personally, I suspect that they chose not to compete with DEN flights and their East-West traffic at that time, for whatever reason. Frontier has been gone for several years now, the economy is a little better, so I do see some potential for Delta to reopen service. Right now, aside from connecting SFO/LAX, all East-West service runs through DEN or PHX.

Wingtips56

Thu Apr 06, 2017 2:13 am

QX tried SMF-SBA for a while, ending a service drought, but the Q400 is just too much for that market. Way back when (late 70's-early 80's), SBA-based Apollo Airways (ID) connected SBA to SMF, SFO, SJC, FAT, MRY, BFL, LAS, LAX, and OXR with the maintenance-nightmare Handley-Page Jetstreams ....or a collection of Navahoes, Senecas and even a Beech Baron when the HPJ was in the shop. SBA-SMF was 3X daily, plus one over MRY. Loads were good, but the finances were not, and the fleet was a constant source of expenses and aggravation.
Later, OO as DL Connection connected some of the markets, including SMF-SBP (old SwiftAire route) and SMF-SBA, originally with SWM Metros, later going up to Brazilias on some turns.
Other than SFO and LAX, I think the markets today would be right for 30 seats, but not the 70 that QX offers. Even the CRJ-200 might be too big at 50. EMB-135 and -140 might be right-sized for the markets but not economical, and are disappearing fast.

I hope the AA SBA-DFW does well with the 319, with perhaps an upgauge in the future. Maybe they can pull of ORD in the future? It is surprising to me that DL can't manage SBA-SLC with a CRJ to E170.
Worked for WestAir, Apollo Airways, Desert Pacific, Western, AirCal and American Airlines (Retired). Flight Memory: 180 airports, 90 airlines, 75 a/c types, 403 routes, 58 countries (by air), 6 continents. 1,117,006 passenger miles.

Home airport : CEC

ericm2031

Thu Apr 06, 2017 4:56 am

Wingtips56 wrote:
QX tried SMF-SBA for a while, ending a service drought, but the Q400 is just too much for that market. Way back when (late 70's-early 80's), SBA-based Apollo Airways (ID) connected SBA to SMF, SFO, SJC, FAT, MRY, BFL, LAS, LAX, and OXR with the maintenance-nightmare Handley-Page Jetstreams ....or a collection of Navahoes, Senecas and even a Beech Baron when the HPJ was in the shop. SBA-SMF was 3X daily, plus one over MRY. Loads were good, but the finances were not, and the fleet was a constant source of expenses and aggravation.
Later, OO as DL Connection connected some of the markets, including SMF-SBP (old SwiftAire route) and SMF-SBA, originally with SWM Metros, later going up to Brazilias on some turns.
Other than SFO and LAX, I think the markets today would be right for 30 seats, but not the 70 that QX offers. Even the CRJ-200 might be too big at 50. EMB-135 and -140 might be right-sized for the markets but not economical, and are disappearing fast.

I hope the AA SBA-DFW does well with the 319, with perhaps an upgauge in the future. Maybe they can pull of ORD in the future? It is surprising to me that DL can't manage SBA-SLC with a CRJ to E170.

I'm sure 2x daily DFW would come before an upgauge to DFW...could go to A320. There's already 5x to PHX, so maybe those could be consolidated into some mainline too. Not sure you can really upgauge much due to the 6,000 ft runway

Boston92

Re: AA A319 DFW-SBA pictures?

Tue Oct 31, 2017 11:40 pm

Back to CR9 in Jan/Feb. Still says 319 afterwards, though.

And SNA does just fine with larger a/c with a shorter runway.

aviatelife1

Sat Feb 24, 2018 8:23 pm

This is a bit of an old topic lol but I just saw this. I was there the first day and got some pictures, but they are on my hard drive and I've improved a lot since then anyway. Sadly it's back to a CRJ9 for now. They are also on my Instagram but that was from almost a year ago so I won't even really bother lol

AAvgeek744

Sat Feb 24, 2018 8:26 pm

BoeingGuy wrote:
GSPSPOT wrote:
UpNAWAy wrote:

That's Economy+ (or whatever AA calls it). The main coach cabin is 30" seat pitch. I assume that's what the other poster was referring to. The AA A319s are nice, but coach is inhumanely cramped.

I'm 6'2", have no issue with the seat pitch on AA's 319s.

ty97

Sat Feb 24, 2018 8:27 pm

wn676 wrote:
FSDan wrote:
wn676 wrote:

The equipment designation is internal, however, LUS flight numbers are still 400-899 and 1630-2174 for the time being.

They are able to swap Airbuses between LAA/LUS for operational need IINM, so every once in a while you may see one subfleet subbing in where the other subfleet normally operates.

I'm not sure if they swap equipment (or are even able to per contract?) but there a number of trips designed where pmUS planes that start at pmUS hubs get to DFW and then start running DFW-XXX-DFW flights. You can find many examples of that. Those planes will eventually wind up at a pmUS hub for the end of the trip, but it's entirely possible (though not sure if it happens) for a plane or crew to fly PHX-DFW-AAA-DFW-BBB-DFW-CCC-DFW-DDD-DFW-PHX. Similarly, PHX sees a lot of pmAA 737s. So I presume this flight is just schedule as a pmUS plane/crew.

panam330

Sat Feb 24, 2018 9:09 pm

ty97 wrote:
I'm not sure if they swap equipment (or are even able to per contract?) but there a number of trips designed where pmUS planes that start at pmUS hubs get to DFW and then start running DFW-XXX-DFW flights. You can find many examples of that. Those planes will eventually wind up at a pmUS hub for the end of the trip, but it's entirely possible (though not sure if it happens) for a plane or crew to fly PHX-DFW-AAA-DFW-BBB-DFW-CCC-DFW-DDD-DFW-PHX. Similarly, PHX sees a lot of pmAA 737s. So I presume this flight is just schedule as a pmUS plane/crew.

They are able to swap equipment whenever they want. The pilots are totally integrated, and can fly whatever 319/320/321 shows up at the gate. The flight attendants, however, are not scheduled for integration until Fall of 2018, so if they need to swap tails to an LUS aircraft in an LAA FA base, it may prove difficult to find a crew - which is something that's typically worked out before the swap, but YMMV.

AABB777

Sat Feb 24, 2018 9:38 pm

wn676 wrote:
BoeingGuy wrote:
wn676 wrote:

And especially when they just started operating mainline there yesterday.

Well, first in a long time. When was the last time AA sent mainline to SBA? The late 80s?

AA has been using A319 equipment on DFW-SBA for over a year. It may have been downgraded to a CR9 for Jan/Feb due to the Thomas Fire and debris slide which I'm sure impacted traffic to/from SBA.

ericm2031

Sat Feb 24, 2018 9:47 pm

AABB777 wrote:
wn676 wrote:
BoeingGuy wrote:

AA has been using A319 equipment on DFW-SBA for over a year. It may have been downgraded to a CR9 for Jan/Feb due to the Thomas Fire and debris slide which I'm sure impacted traffic to/from SBA.

The downgauge was planned well before the fire and mudslides, but will be coming back. They also cut 1 PHX frequency and downgauged some PHX flights from CR9 to CR7 but the schedule is very sporadic in the upcoming months.

wedgetail737

Sun Feb 25, 2018 2:54 am

910A wrote:
Wingtips56 wrote:
BoeingGuy wrote:

No..The F-100 never made it to the west coast. I'm thinking COS was as far west they went. I pretty sure all the MD-80 flights out of SBA made a stop enroute to DFW: BFL, BUR, are what I remember.

Technically, you're incorrect. AA was flying F-100's on the DAL-LAX route in competition with Legend back in early 1990's.

wedgetail737

Sun Feb 25, 2018 2:56 am

SBA has been getting a lot of Mainline Love lately with AS flying 737-800's and now AA's A319's.

jetsetterusa
Topic Author

Sun Feb 25, 2018 11:49 am

Can anything bigger get into SBA A320/321?
Crazy Day Tripper

WALmsp

Sun Feb 25, 2018 5:05 pm

Yes, but there's no demand. Allegiant used to fly the MD-82 here. Air Force Two (a 757) has visited a few times along with a private 767. Of course, those latter two were carrying a lot less passengers/weight. In fact, you can find some 747s in the database back when SBA at a service center here.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos