User avatar
LAXintl
Topic Author
Posts: 24107
Joined: Wed May 24, 2000 12:12 pm

World Airways - proposed longhaul ULCC start up

Wed Apr 05, 2017 8:21 pm

Former relaunched Eastern Airlines CEO Ed Wegel seems to be attached to a new project.

The Miami/Fort Lauderdale area based World Airways is proposing to be certified as a "wide body long haul scheduled ULCC."

Ed Wegel is listed as the companies founder and was issued trademark for World Airways in March.

Lets see where this idea goes (if anywhere) ....


Image

=
From the desert to the sea, to all of Southern California
 
User avatar
dabpit
Posts: 845
Joined: Tue May 01, 2012 10:19 am

Re: World Airways - proposed longhaul ULCC start up

Wed Apr 05, 2017 8:24 pm

Is this some kind of late April Fools Day joke? Is there a link?
Carpe Diem
 
User avatar
AerolineasAR343
Posts: 78
Joined: Wed Aug 17, 2016 2:43 pm

Re: World Airways - proposed longhaul ULCC start up

Wed Apr 05, 2017 8:28 pm

LCC airlines today are like the sportscars of the mid 00s, everyone and their dog "has a brilliant idea" and is trying to build their own because the big players "have forgotten their heart and core": I wish this startup all the luck in the world but 99,7% of me is certain that it won't ever fly. I hope I'm wrong.
 
PlanesNTrains
Posts: 9524
Joined: Tue Feb 01, 2005 4:19 pm

Re: World Airways - proposed longhaul ULCC start up

Wed Apr 05, 2017 8:28 pm

I like the A330neo over the 787 for several reasons, though I know that's just an artist's rendering. I don't think it's the worst idea in the world but Norwegian is already putting a good-sized dent in the market. The flip-side is that they could also do things like JFK-HNL or MIA-LAX (for example) to fill in gaps or utilize the downtime of their equipment.

Feed would help. "Paging Dr. Ryanair and Dr. Southwest, please meet your party at the gate."
-Dave


MAX’d out on MAX threads. If you are starting a thread, and it’s about the MAX - stop. There’s already a thread that covers it.
 
User avatar
enilria
Posts: 9973
Joined: Fri Feb 22, 2008 7:15 pm

Re: World Airways - proposed longhaul ULCC start up

Wed Apr 05, 2017 8:29 pm

Now that Wegel has gotten rich on his first airline, he's ready to start another. No wait, that's Neeleman. Attach him to the project and I'll be more excited.
 
User avatar
PatrickZ80
Posts: 4088
Joined: Tue Jul 13, 2010 5:33 am

Re: World Airways - proposed longhaul ULCC start up

Wed Apr 05, 2017 8:31 pm

Sounds good, but they put themselves in a difficult position by choosing a hub with a significant competitor already present (Norwegian). While long haul LCCs can benefit from the presence of short haul LCCs (feeder functionality) having another long haul LCC around is mostly not a good idea.

Another thing is that to me the name World Airways doesn't exactly sound like an LCC, more like a legacy carrier. A bit dull maybe. As an LCC you got to have a name that grabs the attention, a name that sounds cool and cheap at the same time. Personally I've always favoured the name "Sheep" for an LCC (sheep sounds just like cheap when you pronounce it). It sounds cool and tells you exactly what to expect.
 
User avatar
LAXintl
Topic Author
Posts: 24107
Joined: Wed May 24, 2000 12:12 pm

Re: World Airways - proposed longhaul ULCC start up

Wed Apr 05, 2017 8:31 pm

No not April fools. Here are some public sites with info.

Trademark filing:
https://trademarks.justia.com/872/56/wo ... 56314.html

Ed Wegel's Linkedin page:
https://www.linkedin.com/in/ed-wegel-9127a710/

=
From the desert to the sea, to all of Southern California
 
eal
Posts: 276
Joined: Wed Mar 11, 2015 7:51 pm

Re: World Airways - proposed longhaul ULCC start up

Wed Apr 05, 2017 8:38 pm

LAXintl wrote:
No not April fools. Here are some public sites with info.

Trademark filing:
https://trademarks.justia.com/872/56/wo ... 56314.html

Ed Wegel's Linkedin page:
https://www.linkedin.com/in/ed-wegel-9127a710/

=


Hmmm that logo looks awfully similar to another South Florida airline.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/World_Atlantic_Airlines
 
Birdwatching
Posts: 3709
Joined: Sat Sep 06, 2003 10:48 am

Re: World Airways - proposed longhaul ULCC start up

Wed Apr 05, 2017 8:51 pm

What's all that resurrecting old airline brands? Is there any precedent in another industry? It seems to be an American thing. I've seen the relaunch of Pan Am, Eastern, PeoplExpress, I'm sure there are more, and none of them has ever been successful. From a pure nostalgia point of view I like the idea, but I fail to understand the business case behind this. What's next, ValuJet? Ford bringing back the Edsel? The Wells Fargo bank transporting passengers in stage coaches?
All the things you probably hate about travelling are warm reminders that I'm home
 
User avatar
usxguy
Posts: 1795
Joined: Wed Jan 25, 2006 1:28 pm

Re: World Airways - proposed longhaul ULCC start up

Wed Apr 05, 2017 9:35 pm

Um. the logo looks exactly like the last one World Airways had???
xx
 
roadpilot
Posts: 84
Joined: Thu Dec 15, 2016 11:31 pm

Re: World Airways - proposed longhaul ULCC start up

Wed Apr 05, 2017 9:38 pm

I like Ed and I thought he had a good vision for Eastern but I think this idea is a reach too far. It's one thing to start a 121 supplemental, a side of flying that the legacy don't particularly care about and a long haul LCC, where you're gonna have legacy carriers and the two other long haul ULCCs after you. I always want to see new airlines start and succeed but I would rather not see this come to fruition. Ed needs to go back to Miami and clean up the mess at Eastern
 
User avatar
TWA772LR
Posts: 7060
Joined: Thu Nov 17, 2011 6:12 am

Re: World Airways - proposed longhaul ULCC start up

Wed Apr 05, 2017 9:47 pm

roadpilot wrote:
I like Ed and I thought he had a good vision for Eastern but I think this idea is a reach too far. It's one thing to start a 121 supplemental, a side of flying that the legacy don't particularly care about and a long haul LCC, where you're gonna have legacy carriers and the two other long haul ULCCs after you. I always want to see new airlines start and succeed but I would rather not see this come to fruition. Ed needs to go back to Miami and clean up the mess at Eastern

There's not many LCCs going across the Americas these days. Maybe that's what he's going for?

As for Eastern, IMO he expanded too quickly. They should've started out in another Florida airport for one. MIA is extremely competitive and expensive to operate from 121 supplemental or not, not to mention the rapid Cuba expansion. RSW or JAX should have been where Eastern is/was based as those cities have a lot less competition. That and they should've cranked up the cruise charters.
When wasn't America great?


The thoughts and opinions shared under this username are mine and are not influenced by my employer.
 
User avatar
OzarkD9S
Posts: 5516
Joined: Tue Oct 23, 2001 2:31 am

Re: World Airways - proposed longhaul ULCC start up

Wed Apr 05, 2017 9:51 pm

Birdwatching wrote:

What's all that resurrecting old airline brands? Is there any precedent in another industry? It seems to be an American thing. I've seen the relaunch of Pan Am, Eastern, PeoplExpress, I'm sure there are more, and none of them has ever been successful. From a pure nostalgia point of view I like the idea, but I fail to understand the business case behind this. What's next, ValuJet? Ford bringing back the Edsel? The Wells Fargo bank transporting passengers in stage coaches?


Much more:
Braniff (twice)
Ozark
Western
National (twice)
Midway
Southern Airways Express (sort of)
Air South
...and more I'm sure.

Still better names than some newer ones like Peach, Hop, Scoot, Level etc...What's next? Plop, Plunk, Frump?
"True, I talk of dreams,
Which are the children of an idle brain." -Mercutio
 
airtran737
Posts: 3448
Joined: Mon Apr 05, 2004 3:47 am

Re: World Airways - proposed longhaul ULCC start up

Wed Apr 05, 2017 9:58 pm

As a former World Airways employee I truly hope that this idea doesn't come to fruition. World was a great company because of the people who we had working there, and yet another bastardization of a once proud name is not what we want to see.
Nice Trip Report!!! Great Pics, thanks for posting!!!! B747Forever
 
grbauc
Posts: 1469
Joined: Sat Mar 28, 2015 9:05 pm

Re: World Airways - proposed longhaul ULCC start up

Wed Apr 05, 2017 10:03 pm

OzarkD9S wrote:
Birdwatching wrote:

What's all that resurrecting old airline brands? Is there any precedent in another industry? It seems to be an American thing. I've seen the relaunch of Pan Am, Eastern, PeoplExpress, I'm sure there are more, and none of them has ever been successful. From a pure nostalgia point of view I like the idea, but I fail to understand the business case behind this. What's next, ValuJet? Ford bringing back the Edsel? The Wells Fargo bank transporting passengers in stage coaches?


Much more:
Braniff (twice)
Ozark
Western
National (twice)
Midway
Southern Airways Express (sort of)
Air South
...and more I'm sure.

Still better names than some newer ones like Peach, Hop, Scoot, Level etc...What's next? Plop, Plunk, Frump?


LOL LOL thanks for some reason that made me laugh out loud for sure.
 
maxpower1954
Posts: 1067
Joined: Thu Sep 25, 2008 1:14 am

Re: World Airways - proposed longhaul ULCC start up

Thu Apr 06, 2017 12:17 am

One exception to the "re-launched airline names never succeed" mantra...Frontier.
The original lasted from 1950 to 1986, and today's Frontier has managed to last 20 years plus.
 
wjcandee
Posts: 8397
Joined: Mon Jun 05, 2000 12:50 am

Re: World Airways - proposed longhaul ULCC start up

Thu Apr 06, 2017 2:25 am

airtran737 wrote:
As a former World Airways employee I truly hope that this idea doesn't come to fruition. World was a great company because of the people who we had working there, and yet another bastardization of a once proud name is not what we want to see.


Roger that! (PS How's Clipper doing?)
 
wjcandee
Posts: 8397
Joined: Mon Jun 05, 2000 12:50 am

Re: World Airways - proposed longhaul ULCC start up

Thu Apr 06, 2017 2:29 am

OzarkD9S wrote:
Still better names than some newer ones like Peach, Hop, Scoot, Level etc...What's next? Plop, Plunk, Frump?


Bang, Ding, Ow

And "Flush", for how they start out, and later for what happens to the investors' cash.

(I was always partial to the lavish saloon in Dallas that the proprietor decided to name "Other People's Money". I'm thinkin' OPM Airways has a nice ring.)

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos