lesfalls
Topic Author

Norwegian was looking to start BCN-TYO

Sat Apr 08, 2017 7:40 pm

Norwegian has criticized the Spanish government for the new Spain-Russia bilateral agreement signed earlier this year as flights can only orginate from MAD to Japan:

http://ch-aviation.com/portal/news/5493 ... o-hampered

Your thoughts? Surprises me why they don't start OSL-TYO first as they have sort of fixed the biliteral problem between Russia and Norway.
Lufthansa: Einfach ein bisschen mehr.

TheGeordielad

Re: Norwegian was looking to start BCN-TYO

Sat Apr 08, 2017 7:44 pm

I think it's unlucky for Norwegian but mainly for the passengers as this route has good demand.

PatrickZ80

Sat Apr 08, 2017 9:01 pm

And they can't operate this flight out of Madrid? I know Madrid is no base for them, but they can do it with Barcelona based aircraft. Just fly Barcelona - Madrid - Tokyo - Madrid - Barcelona. After all Barcelona - Madrid is a very busy route with a huge demand so flying it with a bigger aircraft won't hurt them.

TheGeordielad

Sat Apr 08, 2017 9:35 pm

PatrickZ80 wrote:
And they can't operate this flight out of Madrid? I know Madrid is no base for them, but they can do it with Barcelona based aircraft. Just fly Barcelona - Madrid - Tokyo - Madrid - Barcelona. After all Barcelona - Madrid is a very busy route with a huge demand so flying it with a bigger aircraft won't hurt them.

Norwegian does have a base at Madrid but I'm guessing you mean a no base for 787s then you are correct plus I see your point of view.Why can't they operate Barcelona - Madrid - Tokyo - Madrid - Barcelona?

TWA772LR

Sat Apr 08, 2017 9:41 pm

So Spain and Russia worked out only one daily Trans-Siberian flight originating from Madrid? What does this mean for other potential MAD-Asia flights? So there will be no BCN-Japan/Korea/China on any airline?
When wasn't America great?

The thoughts and opinions shared under this username are mine and are not influenced by my employer.

Cunard

Sat Apr 08, 2017 9:47 pm

If Norwegian do eventually fly from Spain to Tokyo they definitely wouldn't fly BCN-MAD-TOKYO it will be either direct, not at all or if the bilaterals are changed direct from either BCN or MAD.
94 Countries, 327 Destinations Worldwide, 32 Airlines, 29 Aircraft Types, 182 Airports, 335 Flights.

TheGeordielad

Sat Apr 08, 2017 9:49 pm

TWA772LR wrote:
So Spain and Russia worked out only one daily Trans-Siberian flight originating from Madrid? What does this mean for other potential MAD-Asia flights? So there will be no BCN-Japan/Korea/China on any airline?

50-50. Airlines could go under Russia into Georgia,Azerbaijan,Kazakstan and Mongolia however I don't think airlines will do so.

Cunard

Sat Apr 08, 2017 10:03 pm

That's not really very cost affective for any airline taking that long lower routing to Japan from Europe, it's either over Russian airspace for a shorter flying distance or like airlines used to do go the other way via Alaska to Japan.
94 Countries, 327 Destinations Worldwide, 32 Airlines, 29 Aircraft Types, 182 Airports, 335 Flights.

HeeseokKoo

Sat Apr 08, 2017 10:14 pm

TWA772LR wrote:
So there will be no BCN-Japan/Korea/China on any airline?

KE is launching nonstop ICN-BCN from later this week, 3/w. CA is flying BCN-VIE-PEK right now and launching BCN-PVG from next month, 3/w.

It could be a way Spain gov protects Iberia from competitors by allowing Japanese flights out of MAD only.

chrisp390

Sat Apr 08, 2017 10:24 pm

Just wondering why Russia gets to dictate where flights between Spain and Japan originate?

dcajet

Sat Apr 08, 2017 10:31 pm

Well, not my intention to stir the pot, but if Catalonia gets its way, this may not be a problem in the not too distant future.
"Unattended children will be given espresso and a free kitten"

albertocsc

Mon May 29, 2017 2:26 am

It seems that Norwegian has denied claims by some media that the lack of Russian rights for their possible BCN-TYO route was part of a Spanish veto.
https://twitter.com/norwegian_es/status ... 6655596544
This garnered some disputes with those media, especially with pro-independence Ara newspaper.

LuxuryTravelled

Mon May 29, 2017 8:49 am

I know Norwegian were also planning Gatwick to Tokyo, although couldn't get overflight clearance from Russia - so launched Denver and Seattle instead.

VRHNM

Mon May 29, 2017 9:06 am

TWA772LR wrote:

CX has been operating a 77W between HKG and MAD for some time now, 4 weekly.

r2rho

Mon May 29, 2017 12:50 pm

It seems that Norwegian has denied claims by some media that the lack of Russian rights for their possible BCN-TYO route was part of a Spanish veto.

It's a bit more than denying, they are explicitly calling it "media manipulation" and effectively writing it off as fake news.

rebr

Mon May 29, 2017 1:06 pm

lesfalls wrote:
as they have sort of fixed the biliteral problem between Russia and Norway.

Don't want to go off topic here, but I missed this. What has changed? Sure enough I checked and DY7201 is now flying over Russian airspace (https://www.flightradar24.com/data/flig ... 01#d7edf05)
Still a bit weird turn south in the route, but at least it doesn't go all the way south of Russia anymore.

lesfalls
Topic Author

Mon May 29, 2017 9:28 pm

rebr wrote:
lesfalls wrote:
as they have sort of fixed the biliteral problem between Russia and Norway.

Don't want to go off topic here, but I missed this. What has changed? Sure enough I checked and DY7201 is now flying over Russian airspace (https://www.flightradar24.com/data/flig ... 01#d7edf05)
Still a bit weird turn south in the route, but at least it doesn't go all the way south of Russia anymore.

The Norwegian government was able to find a resolution with the Russians but the problem still is that they are only allowed to overfly Russia from Norway as it is the companys home turf. That is what annoys Norwegian as it doesn't permit them to start other routes from Scandinavia to Asia. Thats the reason why Norwegians LGW-SIN flight for example will be operated with their UK company and not their Norwegian based one.
Lufthansa: Einfach ein bisschen mehr.

Tdan

Mon May 29, 2017 10:05 pm

LuxuryTravelled wrote:
I know Norwegian were also planning Gatwick to Tokyo, although couldn't get overflight clearance from Russia - so launched Denver and Seattle instead.

This is 100% true. Heard it from Norwegian directly. Seems that Norwegian has a Russia issue, therefore more transatlantic capacity. Will be interesting to see if this persists and if they run into additional bilateral challenges.
We will ride this thunderbird, silver shadows on the earth, a thousand leagues away our land of birth... -Captain Bruce

JayBCNLON

Tue May 30, 2017 1:37 am

dcajet wrote:
Well, not my intention to stir the pot, but if Catalonia gets its way, this may not be a problem in the not too distant future.

Recent polls suggest that won't happen as 61% Of Catalonians are against independence
http://ccaa.elpais.com/ccaa/2017/05/23/ ... 4.amp.html

Softaero

Tue May 30, 2017 1:44 am

VRHNM wrote:
TWA772LR wrote:

CX has been operating a 77W between HKG and MAD for some time now, 4 weekly.

Avoiding Russian airspace adds very little to the HKG-MAD great circle distance, so it hardly affects profit.
According to all known laws of aviation, there is no way a bee should be able to fly

dcajet

Tue May 30, 2017 2:12 am

JayBCNLON wrote:
dcajet wrote:

Recent polls suggest that won't happen as 61% Of Catalonians are against independence
http://ccaa.elpais.com/ccaa/2017/05/23/ ... 4.amp.html

According to the article you quoted, 61% of Catalonians are against an unilateral declaration of independence from the rest of Spain. If this would be achieved through negotiations, I am sure that the percentage that supports an independent Catalonia is higher than that.
"Unattended children will be given espresso and a free kitten"

Kikko19

Tue May 30, 2017 10:26 am

what about DY opening a base in Finland? they'd copy AY model and likely with lower costs. of course finns might not give permits (FR and friends never really had many routes to SF and never to HEL). maybe TLL? the airport is expanding continously.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos