Arion640
Topic Author

BA Considering Long Haul Buy on Board

Sun Apr 09, 2017 1:13 pm

Sadly, the title says it all.

Times article: https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/5f61 ... de1d6b4791
223 319 320 321 333 346 359 388 733 73G 738 744 752 753 763 764 772 77E 773 77W 788 789 MD83 E145 E175 E195 RJ85 F70 DH8C DH8D AT75

Brexit - It’s time for global Britain.

PatrickZ80

Re: BA Considering Long Haul Buy on Board

Sun Apr 09, 2017 1:31 pm

They're turning more and more into a LCC, only the fares don't. No wonder Norwegian gets a strong foot on the ground in Gatwick. Same product, but much cheaper. If BA gets into financial trouble because nobody flies them anymore they can only blame themselves.

There's two things BA can do to survive. Either lower the price of their tickets and become a full LCC or improve service and become a legacy airline again. High fares and low service just can't sustain.

Alexsing

Sun Apr 09, 2017 1:36 pm

Complimentary services and products are the last thing differentiating BA and LCCs. Dropping them will only benefit LCCs in this war, as BA simply can't compete on rock-bottom fares offered by the competition.

redroo

Sun Apr 09, 2017 1:43 pm

You can be cheaper or better than your competition. You can't be both.

SCQ83

Sun Apr 09, 2017 2:03 pm

I saw this coming.

Norwegian has set the new standard in long-haul like Ryanair did years ago in short haul.

If BA goes paying (also I assume checked luggage and one-way fares); Iberia and Aer Lingus should follow suit. And then who else?

Interesting times ahead in long-haul.

Osiris

Sun Apr 09, 2017 2:13 pm

If people still pay a premium to fly BA Y with their new short haul BOB and then a potential long haul BOB they're out of their minds.

I have a feeling the aspirational lower middle class types will still pay a premium for the image, whereas everyone with a brain cell will be flying Norwegian or paying a premium to fly VS, etc.
Last edited by Osiris on Sun Apr 09, 2017 2:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

nadavatar64

Sun Apr 09, 2017 2:14 pm

redroo wrote:

Say that to JetBlue :)

Eindhoven

Sun Apr 09, 2017 2:21 pm

redroo wrote:

BA is neither. They won't last.

LHRFlyer

Sun Apr 09, 2017 2:24 pm

You won't see a full Buy on Board on BA long-haul in the same form as short-haul, not when everyone else from LHR is offering complimentary dining.

You might see a trial of a new "basic" economy fare at LGW to compete against Norwegian with the option to purchase a hot meal.

Btblue

Sun Apr 09, 2017 2:27 pm

They should offer free drinks and snacks but a meal should be charged for. That would be a compromise and a way of testing the the water. Bring your own packed lunch (minus liquids) and away you go. You would want to see this reflected in the ticket cost however... But I doubt that would happen. IAG are on a mission to generate as much profit and reduce waste.

Eindhoven

Sun Apr 09, 2017 2:29 pm

LHRFlyer wrote:
You won't see a full Buy on Board on BA long-haul in the same form as short-haul, not when everyone else from LHR is offering complimentary dining.

You might see a trial of a new "basic" economy fare at LGW to compete against Norwegian with the option to purchase a hot meal.

Have you read the article? A full BOB on long haul in the same form as short haul is exactly what they are going to do. No basic economy fare, just regular high fares and bad service. If you don't believe me, read the article.

kimimm19

Sun Apr 09, 2017 2:33 pm

As the airplanes supposedly get better, legacy airlines see that as prompt to degrade their service... I wouldn't complain if the prices followed the same trend but no indication there... The worrying thing is if they don't lower their prices and people still fly them, then that's just fuel for LCCs to up their prices closer...

MrHMSH

Sun Apr 09, 2017 2:34 pm

DY have really rattled BA. It was one thing for the ME3 to shuffle them out of Asia and Australia as a force, but DY are competing on their bread and butter routes. If BA don't lower their prices accordingly I'll definitely be avoiding them, and I suspect people will catch on.

LHRFlyer

Sun Apr 09, 2017 2:42 pm

Eindhoven wrote:
LHRFlyer wrote:

Have you read the article? A full BOB on long haul in the same form as short haul is exactly what they are going to do. No basic economy fare, just regular high fares and bad service. If you don't believe me, read the article.

Since when were press articles 100% accurate and not sensationalised?

The article is based on comments Alex Cruz made at a press event and I've seen a video of the Q&A.

There's no way BA would scrap free meals network wide in economy.

As I said, what you'll probably get is a trial of a basic unbundled fare at LGW which Aer Lingus have said they are considering on their network.

Arion640
Topic Author

Sun Apr 09, 2017 3:06 pm

Osiris wrote:
If people still pay a premium to fly BA Y with their new short haul BOB and then a potential long haul BOB they're out of their minds.

I have a feeling the aspirational lower middle class types will still pay a premium for the image, whereas everyone with a brain cell will be flying Norwegian or paying a premium to fly VS, etc.

I have to admit i'm flying to MAD with them in September to get there 767 before retirement but apart from that it will be easyjet for me. I took BA back from LAX, a few weeks ago and I was considering taking them to NYC in a few months time. But It was a very poor service performance for an 11 hour flight so it will be AA or VS for that trip too.

I think they may go down the road for baggage charges @ LGW but wouldn't charge for food. Its clear there going to try to fight off Norwegian. There not wanting to lose like they did to Easyjet and the ME3.
223 319 320 321 333 346 359 388 733 73G 738 744 752 753 763 764 772 77E 773 77W 788 789 MD83 E145 E175 E195 RJ85 F70 DH8C DH8D AT75

BrianDromey

Sun Apr 09, 2017 3:24 pm

The article doesn't confirm long haul BoB one way, or another. BA will be closely watching IAG data from the LEVEL experience, BA could do a "Hand Baggage Only" type log haul fare, an "all in fare" and have a movable divider to differentiate between the zones on board.

Ugly51

Sun Apr 09, 2017 3:33 pm

British Airways are now really clutching at straws. From being one of the top legacy carriers they are now in the mix with LCC carriers from the UK and across Europe. My last flight with BA was Business Class LHR-ACC return I was not impressed with a 3 hr delay at LHR and when we got airborne the service was no great shakes either.
Gone are the great days of BA. Charging for hold luggage,charging for meals on board.
Where is it going to stop??

boeingguy1

Sun Apr 09, 2017 3:51 pm

My experience is completely anecdotal, but was recently planning a trip to Portugal from London. After filtering out flight times, BA and Ryanair were the last two standing.

After adding up seat and baggage fees, Ryanair actually came out the winner because we could select seats with extra legroom. If this is the way BA wants to roll in the future, they might have some tough times ahead.
"...Gatwick South!? Id rather crash in Brighton!"

cv990Coronado

Sun Apr 09, 2017 3:53 pm

With DY and others taking all the Y pax maybe the A350 may even be too big to replace the 747. The Y class cabins are going to become very small.
This might well be profitable but the long-term effect of losing so many passengers must surely have many negative cognitions. The large corporate contracts pay nowhere near the price one sees on the website. I am not so close to it now, but some years ago the J class large corporate contract were below 50% of the published rates.
SSC-707B727 737-741234SP757/762/3/772/WA300/10/319/2/1-342/3/6-880-DAM-VC10 TRD 111 Ju52-DC8/9/10/11-YS11-748-VCV DH4B L

OA260

Sun Apr 09, 2017 3:58 pm

Arion640 wrote:
Sadly, the title says it all.

Times article: https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/5f61 ... de1d6b4791

While this is speculation it will come in some shape or form in future. Just like I said BOB was coming to S/H a few years ago and many said there was no way it would. BA will offer a HBO fare no frills with the option to pay for food on board similar to S/H. They will most likely keep meals/drinks on all other fares though. I expect the free bar to be streamlined too. BA have shown with their S/H roll out that they are not budging even with the public outcry in the first months of introduction.

IPFreely

Sun Apr 09, 2017 4:00 pm

The article says it's being "considered" with words like "may" and "could". Which seems like pure speculation on the author's part. The interesting thing is it looks like many posters just scanned the headline and assumed it's a done deal.

9w748capt

Sun Apr 09, 2017 4:02 pm

Only a matter of time until meals and drinks aren't included in CW as well. Haha what a joke of an airline.

Iluvtofly

Sun Apr 09, 2017 4:13 pm

IPFreely wrote:
The article says it's being "considered" with words like "may" and "could". Which seems like pure speculation on the author's part. The interesting thing is it looks like many posters just scanned the headline and assumed it's a done deal.

Finally a logical comment, at least someone else is reading the article properly !
Flown - B707 727 737 747 757 767 777 787 A300 310 319 320 321 330 340 Concorde BAC111 TU154 VC10 F27 F28 F100 DC3 DC8 DC9 DC10 L1011 L188 DHC6 DHC7 DHC8 E135 E145 HS748 MD11 ST27 CV580 S340 ATR42 J31

OA260

Sun Apr 09, 2017 4:28 pm

9w748capt wrote:
Only a matter of time until meals and drinks aren't included in CW as well. Haha what a joke of an airline.

Actually it seems to be the opposite. They seem to want to drive a bigger gap between Premium and low cost products. So that you can clearly see a major difference between CW and Y or CE and Y. The new CE changes over the last few weeks seem to suggest that too. Nothing down the back and what was a Y meal in days gone past now up front ;) You would be surprised how many were outraged when they ripped out the comfortable CE seats yet as we have seen CE is still a popular product and those that said they would never fly CE again are indeed flying it. Personally I think the only big gain in CE catering in this recent move has been the former Band 4 flights. Most of the others are nothing to get excited about.

ltbewr

Sun Apr 09, 2017 4:52 pm

Sorry, but if on a flight for more than 4-5 hours you should be given a hot meal inclusive with your fare no matter the class, especially if the flight is over the time of your a normal meal time from your departure time.
Some may not have the time to get food at the airport or don't want to risk spoilage of food from home (especially with the long time you need to get to the airport, security and boarding waiting times). Let us also not forget some may have diabetes or other medical issues where regular eating is necessary. BOB has it's issues too, what if they run out of your preference or food you can eat, especially if have allergies. Most airline food is not good in terms of quality, often has too much salt, carbs or fats, highly processed or subject to cross-contamination or improper processing.

tonystan

Sun Apr 09, 2017 5:34 pm

ltbewr wrote:
Sorry, but if on a flight for more than 4-5 hours you should be given a hot meal inclusive with your fare no matter the class, especially if the flight is over the time of your a normal meal time from your departure time.
Some may not have the time to get food at the airport or don't want to risk spoilage of food from home (especially with the long time you need to get to the airport, security and boarding waiting times). Let us also not forget some may have diabetes or other medical issues where regular eating is necessary. BOB has it's issues too, what if they run out of your preference or food you can eat, especially if have allergies. Most airline food is not good in terms of quality, often has too much salt, carbs or fats, highly processed or subject to cross-contamination or improper processing.

If you have allergies you bring your own food. If you are diabetic you cater for yourself. It is only common sense to bring provisions in the chance that the food onboard may not be suitable and careless should one forget same goes for those who fail to bring baby food and distraction for kids). BOB and traditional complimentary catering share no differences in these cases. In fact with traditional catering you tend to have fewer choices and with far greater risk to allergies unless you manage to book a special meal for dietary requirements.

And how does your arguement work toward those Longhaul Loco carriers who do already charge for food?

Now, knowing this airline as I do, I doubt they will introduce a complete charge for all catering in economy. What I do foresee is a charge for alcoholic items. A significantly cut back but complimentary main meal (possibly a second meal for longer flights) and for those who want a little more an enhancement of the upgraded pre order meals which currently exist out of LHR but which in my experience are almost never ordered. I also see a M&S style buy on board snack menu being introduce for those who wish to snack throughout a flight in Y.

I do know plans are afoot to enhance the WT+ offering further however Iv no idea in what guise that will appear and with BA calling the SH BOB introduction an "Enhancement" I'm reluctant to say it will be much better but I think we will know better in a few months time once the Club World relaunch is fully underway.

Personally I despise the way BA is going but I have resigned myself to it.
My views are my own and do not reflect any other person or organisation.

TurnaroudUK

Sun Apr 09, 2017 6:49 pm

Osiris

Sun Apr 09, 2017 8:32 pm

Arion640 wrote:
Osiris wrote:

I have to admit i'm flying to MAD with them in September to get there 767 before retirement but apart from that it will be easyjet for me. I took BA back from LAX, a few weeks ago and I was considering taking them to NYC in a few months time. But It was a very poor service performance for an 11 hour flight so it will be AA or VS for that trip too.

I think they may go down the road for baggage charges @ LGW but wouldn't charge for food. Its clear there going to try to fight off Norwegian. There not wanting to lose like they did to Easyjet and the ME3.

If there was an option of an intra-Europe widebody I'd have done the same, don't worry ;-)

Osiris

Sun Apr 09, 2017 8:38 pm

boeingguy1 wrote:
My experience is completely anecdotal, but was recently planning a trip to Portugal from London. After filtering out flight times, BA and Ryanair were the last two standing.

After adding up seat and baggage fees, Ryanair actually came out the winner because we could select seats with extra legroom. If this is the way BA wants to roll in the future, they might have some tough times ahead.

We're currently doing exactly that right now - checking flights from London to either Lisbon or Faro, and currently it's looking like TAP from LHR or easyJet from LGW.

However, £100 + 51,000 avios gets me two Club Europe returns, and that is the only way I'd be able to justify BA. Their outright ticket prices are just too high - hilariously so in some instances.

Incidentally, TAP have a ton of flights from Heathrow with times all over the day and competitive prices.

Arion640
Topic Author

Sun Apr 09, 2017 8:43 pm

Osiris wrote:
Arion640 wrote:
Osiris wrote:

If there was an option of an intra-Europe widebody I'd have done the same, don't worry ;-)

Well its out on the 767 and returning the next day on the A340 of Iberia :)

Osiris

Sun Apr 09, 2017 8:47 pm

Arion640 wrote:
Osiris wrote:
Arion640 wrote:

Damn, I'd have been all over that! The A340 (preferably the -600) has been on my hit-list for a while, but I can't seem to get my holidays/excuses to line up!

nicholasjet

Sun Apr 09, 2017 9:18 pm

It seems that even their recent upgrades are receiving criticism.

https://thedesignair.net/2017/04/08/is- ... -up-to-be/

When will this airline stop putting themselves on self-destruct.

PEK777

Mon Apr 10, 2017 1:21 am

Can people seriously not endure 6 hours without a meal? I am sick of the whining. I can regularly go 36 hours without a meal. Eat something after you land.

Scooter

Mon Apr 10, 2017 3:04 am

At the very least, it's been interesting watching BA go from being a world class airline to basically what amounts to an LLC. It's a race to the bottom, unfortunately.
My name is Scott, and I am addicted to writing obnoxiously-detailed trip reports.

ytz

Mon Apr 10, 2017 5:28 am

PEK777 wrote:
Can people seriously not endure 6 hours without a meal? I am sick of the whining. I can regularly go 36 hours without a meal. Eat something after you land.

What you can do is irrelevant. If I'm paying a certain price, I expect a certain level of service. If I'm paying more than Norwegian, I want more service than Norwegian. Or are you suggesting that there's something wrong with people voting with their wallets.

PlanesNTrains

Mon Apr 10, 2017 6:55 am

The World's Favourite Airline.
-Dave

MAX’d out on MAX threads. If you are starting a thread, and it’s about the MAX - stop. There’s already a thread that covers it.

LHRFlyer

Mon Apr 10, 2017 7:47 am

These quotes provide a lot more substance behind the issue:

https://londonairtravel.com/2017/04/09/ ... l-economy/

I do not mind admitting that we looked at some things Norwegian did, and I said this publicly and I said, ‘Wow, that is interesting.’ They have actually demonstrated that consumers will accept some things that people questioned whether they would work on long-haul. Willie Walsh, CEO International Airlines Group

When we look at economy, we are looking at a commodity product, without a doubt. We are going to continue looking at some opportunities for unbundling to really provide a very cheap fare, a very cheap price, a very competitive price Alex Cruz, CEO British Airways

We know our customers better than we have ever known them before. That has enabled us to understand what those customers want better than we have ever understood before. It is very clear that through that, we can understand where we can stretch the brand and where the breaking points are. I think one of the successes that BA has is that it can operate an aircraft with four different products on board a single aircraft and provide the right product to the people in the right place at the right time. Now, it is certainly difficult but without question, we understand what is driving customer demand in different cabins on the aircraft. Through that knowledge that we have attained through the Know Me project, which is now real in real-life, we have been able to understand it in a way that enables us to make these changes without putting the brand at risk.Willie Walsh

Thus, IAG and BA clearly see there is some scope to follow Norwegian and introduced an “unbundled” economy fare, albeit they acknowledge there is a risk of damage to the brand.

Furthermore, IAG and BA clearly see that they must be able to compete in the marketplace on price:

As Willie was saying, we have a lot of data from customers. We know by class, by tier, by point of sale, by a number of factors, what are the reasons why people buy tickets in the different classes and at what stage, because sometimes we buy it for business, for leisure, etc. Everything indicates that the number one criteria over and over and over again, beyond flight schedule and availability of the destination, of course, for buying economy tickets, certainly in short-haul – no doubt about it – and increasingly in long-haul, is price.

We must be able to have a price proposition. Now from there, it is a build-up and we already have it. We are convinced, as Ryanair and easyJet have been building up a premium product over the last few years, copying another great airline in the group. We would expect any others that are coming into this place to continue building up the premium-ness. We are there already. It is an option. You have access to it. Being able to segment and unbundle the product in a way in which you have options, that is what our customers are telling us they are looking after.Alex Cruz

Noshow

Mon Apr 10, 2017 7:47 am

How much does catering cost them? If you buy by the thousands and see how cheap fastfood can be sold to the end customer the savings will never outweight the frustration on the customer side.
On the other hand: Is buy on board so profitable or is it creating tips as income for flight attentands so that their salaries can be cut to save the company some more? I don't see the gain of this project.
Flying for hours and being locked into a tiny seat eating is one of the last human pleasures left.

upwardfacing

Mon Apr 10, 2017 7:50 am

The World's Favourite Low-Cost Carrier?

Osiris

Mon Apr 10, 2017 8:47 am

Noshow wrote:
On the other hand: Is buy on board so profitable or is it creating tips as income for flight attentands so that their salaries can be cut to save the company some more?

I'm not sure that would apply to BA, since most of their passengers will be British and arbitrary tipping isn't part of the culture. Moreover, since FAs are more than likely to be British too, being tipped wouldn't enter their heads.

As far as I'm aware, pretty much all of Europe has the same mentality too. That automatic tipping people for just carrying out their duties is an American thing.

BawliBooch

Mon Apr 10, 2017 8:57 am

excusez moi Messieurs! Has anyone read the denial?

British Airways denies long-haul buy-on-board plans

Too many speculative threads these days!
Mr.Kapoor's favorite poodle!

Noshow

Mon Apr 10, 2017 9:13 am

Denial? Well this is what they said according to your source:

BA’s press office has issued a statement denying that is has any “current” plans to do so, although it stopped short of ruling out the idea in the future.

BawliBooch

Mon Apr 10, 2017 9:28 am

Headline in news item 1:
"BawliBooch to go on shooting spree against qtiya's in Delhi mall".

news item 2:
"BawliBooch has issued a statement denying that he has any current plans to shoot qtiya's, although he stopped short of ruling out the idea in the future."
Mr.Kapoor's favorite poodle!

Spiderguy252

Mon Apr 10, 2017 9:34 am

PEK777 wrote:

People can go hours and days without eating if they're in the midst of a famine. Flying trans-continental on expensive British Airways metal is not it.
Vahroone

Arion640
Topic Author

Mon Apr 10, 2017 9:40 am

BawliBooch wrote:
excusez moi Messieurs! Has anyone read the denial?

British Airways denies long-haul buy-on-board plans

Too many speculative threads these days!

Theres nothing really wrong with speculative threads, its all interesting to hear other peoples thoughts and ideas on a matter.

concordeforever

Mon Apr 10, 2017 11:44 am

Arion640 wrote:
Osiris wrote:
Arion640 wrote:

Hope you're on the afternoon flight as the morning Madrid departure from Heathrow is now a 777....

raffik

Mon Apr 10, 2017 11:47 am

Interesting article. Didn't BA also deny rumours of Buy on Board for short haul flights in the early days?
I don't think it is unlikely in the near future but who knows, the airline seems to be on a course of stripping back the "luxuries" customers have been used to
- Alec

Aquila3

Mon Apr 10, 2017 12:08 pm

I'm not sure that would apply to BA, since most of their passengers will be British and arbitrary tipping isn't part of the culture. Moreover, since FAs are more than likely to be British too, being tipped wouldn't enter their heads.

As far as I'm aware, pretty much all of Europe has the same mentality too. That automatic tipping people for just carrying out their duties is an American thing.

Not only American. While in Italy we do not tip so much, in Austria or Vienna at least tips are very common.
chi vola vale chi vale vola chi non vola è un vile

seahawk

Mon Apr 10, 2017 12:21 pm

Is that not what they now have Level for? One brand and one product will never be able to compete with Norwegian on one side and EK/EY on the other.

Aquila3

Mon Apr 10, 2017 12:21 pm

Btblue wrote:
They should offer free drinks and snacks but a meal should be charged for. That would be a compromise and a way of testing the the water. Bring your own packed lunch (minus liquids) and away you go. You would want to see this reflected in the ticket cost however... But I doubt that would happen. IAG are on a mission to generate as much profit and reduce waste.

Why minus liquids?
In most civilized nations (and GB is surely one of them) the water at the gates toilets is perfectly drinkable. In the US usually there are separate fountains with this precise scope. I have taken it in a small plastic bottle many times. It is probably better than many low quality purified water you can buy at 25 time their market price at the airport.
That said I think the ME3 are loving this BA approach. Good luck.
chi vola vale chi vale vola chi non vola è un vile

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos