AviationRhys
Topic Author

Future Routes/Airlines at Gatwick

Mon Apr 10, 2017 3:11 pm

What do you think about Lufthansa resuming Frankfurt service or starting MUC service or KLM starting an Amsterdam service. Obviously these flights would be mainly for transfer traffic through their respective hubs.

Some other potentials:

MIA (BA, VS or DY)
BKK (BA or DY)
SIN (SQ)
AUH (EY) or DOH (QR)
PEK (HU or CA) or PVG
ORD (DY)
BWI (DY)

anshabhi

Re: Future Routes/Airlines at Gatwick

Mon Apr 10, 2017 3:15 pm

DEL (UK & SG)

TheGeordielad

Mon Apr 10, 2017 3:43 pm

I wouldn't say BA will launch MIA because they're launching FLL.
I think Norwegian will launch
Baltimore or Washington
Tokyo,Providence,Hartford,A Chicago airport.

SCQ83

Mon Apr 10, 2017 3:56 pm

According to Airliners.net, Norwegian to everywhere.

nadavatar64

Mon Apr 10, 2017 4:04 pm

KLM seems like a good option when they can add more flights from AMS and run out of LHR slots (did they?). Also BA launching LAX-LGW is a possibility.

jeffh747

Mon Apr 10, 2017 4:21 pm

As TheGeordielad stated, I don't see BA starting LGW-MIA since they're already bringing a 777 to FLL come this summer. And for that reason as well, I don't see DY starting LGW-MIA since they already fly a 787-9 to FLL I think either 3-5 times a week. Maybe VS might add a higher density aircraft such as the A330 to MIA in the Winter, but I wouldn't count on it.
A318 A319 A320 A320neo A321 A321neo A332 A333 B717 B727 B734 B73G B738 B739 B752 B762 B763 B772 B788 CRJ2 DHC6 DHC8-300 E145 E190 MD82 MD83 MD90 SF340B

LHRFlyer

Mon Apr 10, 2017 4:47 pm

Many years ago BA did say they were looking at leisure destinations in Asia from LGW but nothing really came of it.

Perhaps the "densified" Boeing 777 might rekindle their interest.

Osiris

Mon Apr 10, 2017 5:07 pm

Agree on BKK. I would've thought a route like that would be better served from LGW, as it's primarily a tourist destination.

PatrickZ80

Mon Apr 10, 2017 5:12 pm

Norwegian to:
- Amsterdam
- Paris (CdG or Orly)
- Bangkok
- Delhi
- Chicago

AviationRhys
Topic Author

Mon Apr 10, 2017 5:25 pm

I was also thinking about easyJet as they serve a wide range of destinations from Gatwick and expansion from them is minimal, with the most recent addition being Granada, Spain with Varna, Bulgaria being added in the summer. Are there any routes that are missing from easyJet's Gatwick network that would be viable?

lavalampluva

Mon Apr 10, 2017 5:33 pm

PatrickZ80 wrote:
Norwegian to:

- Chicago

I think that Norwegian will start from an un-served or underserved city before Chicago.
Remind me to send a thank you note to Mr. Boeing.

klm617

Mon Apr 10, 2017 5:49 pm

Detroit on DY
the truth does matter, guys. too bad it's often quite subjective. the truth is beyond the mere facts and figures. it's beyond good and bad, right and wrong...

787fan8

Mon Apr 10, 2017 5:53 pm

British Airways to HAV
Atlanta is an incredibly cool city - Andrew Lincoln

Future Auburn graduate

TheGeordielad

Mon Apr 10, 2017 6:59 pm

AviationRhys wrote:
I was also thinking about easyJet as they serve a wide range of destinations from Gatwick and expansion from them is minimal, with the most recent addition being Granada, Spain with Varna, Bulgaria being added in the summer. Are there any routes that are missing from easyJet's Gatwick network that would be viable?

Stockholm.EasyJet serve Stockholm from Lyon,Luton and Milan M

Eindhoven

Mon Apr 10, 2017 7:14 pm

DY to AMS, BKK, EDI, MUC, ORY, VIE
MT to MLA
U2 to BRU, CGN, DTM, DUS, EIN, GOA, MUC, SAW, VKO
VY to LPA

PatrickZ80

Mon Apr 10, 2017 7:18 pm

TheGeordielad wrote:
AviationRhys wrote:

Stockholm.EasyJet serve Stockholm from Lyon,Luton and Milan M

But Stockholm is being served intensively by Norwegian from Gatwick, I doubt there's room for competition by EasyJet. Mostly EasyJet isn't any cheaper than Norwegian and Norwegian has the feeder function for their long haul flights so even if EasyJet is cheaper people might still prefer Norwegian because of that.

BigTexFlyer

Mon Apr 10, 2017 9:41 pm

If DY is at LAX and JFK, ORD seems a good choice to get into the 3rd largest US market. I would also think BWI would fit in nice to get the D.C. area. Both are big markets that have leisure traffic.

Hopefully we will see them in Texas. DFW and Houston are big markets while Austin is also booming. Real long shot would be SAT.

TWA772LR

Mon Apr 10, 2017 9:47 pm

BigTexFlyer wrote:
If DY is at LAX and JFK, ORD seems a good choice to get into the 3rd largest US market. I would also think BWI would fit in nice to get the D.C. area. Both are big markets that have leisure traffic.

Hopefully we will see them in Texas. DFW and Houston are big markets while Austin is also booming. Real long shot would be SAT.

DFW would see DY before IAH. But AUS or SAT would see DY before DFW.
When wasn't America great?

The thoughts and opinions shared under this username are mine and are not influenced by my employer.

glfblz59

Mon Apr 10, 2017 10:00 pm

"A" Chicago airport? Ah, ORD is the only CHI airport that can handle long-haul Int'l aircraft.
Midway(MDW)does have service to Mexico & Canada, but no "heavy" A/C. Besides, MDW
has become the discount airport of the CHI area. SW "owns" MDW, so other carriers are
hard pressed to make inroads into the SW markets. It is far for the more affluent travelers
from the N & NW part of the CHI area, but now LYFT & UBER offer discounted fares to get
to the airport.

AviationRhys
Topic Author

Mon Apr 10, 2017 10:06 pm

Eindhoven wrote:
MT to MLA
VY to LPA

U2 have in recent years stopped serving BRU, CGN, DUS & DME so I don't think they will be back anytime soon. Also U2 already serves MUC.

I could however see U2 operating to EIN & GOA.

I was also thinking that LPA could be served by BA, and even PMI which is a major gap in their network from Gatwick IMO.

Cunard

Mon Apr 10, 2017 10:29 pm

As this is a post about Future Routes/Airlines at Gatwick and not necessarily a post about how Norwegian will fly XY and Z I will just add the following.

New routes/airlines already confirmed and scheduled for Gatwick in the near future.

China Airlines-Taipei
Georgian Airlines-Tbilisi
Rwandair-Kigali

Long haul expansion by existing airlines to new destinations.

Norwegian-Denver, Seattle (possible contenders for future long haul expansion Baltimore, Bangkok, Buenos Aires, Cape Town, Chicago, Dallas or Houston)
Tainjin Airlines-Xi'an

Possible new additions in the future could be

Air India-Delhi (additional capacity to the airlines London market)
Air Seychelles-Mahe (with no direct UK link and a recent return to Paris there could be a possibility of a return to LGW at some point)
Air Asia X-Kuala Lumper (will they or won't they)
Air Tanzania-Dar es Salam (the airline has already publicly stated that LGW will served once they obtain their B788 in Q3 2018)
Air Zimbabwe-Harare (there have been numerous discussions from the airline about restarting LGW but I'll believe it when I see it)
Goldstar Air-Accra (the airline has stated that it intends to be in operation by Q3 2017 although it has had many setbacks up to now)
Qatar-Doha (the airline has only recently stated that may look into a resumption of service to LGW)
Scoot-Bangkok or Singapore (depending on whether the airline wants to expand their European service to London but a possible contender)
94 Countries, 327 Destinations Worldwide, 32 Airlines, 29 Aircraft Types, 182 Airports, 335 Flights.

Cunard

Mon Apr 10, 2017 10:46 pm

AviationRhys wrote:
What do you think about Lufthansa resuming Frankfurt service or starting MUC service or KLM starting an Amsterdam service. Obviously these flights would be mainly for transfer traffic through their respective hubs.

Some other potentials:

MIA (BA, VS or DY)
BKK (BA or DY)
SIN (SQ)
AUH (EY) or DOH (QR)
PEK (HU or CA) or PVG
ORD (DY)
BWI (DY)

When KLM closed their AMS to Manston flight a couple of years ago I was half expecting them to make a return to LGW to compensate, I am also rather surprised that Lufthansa have never resumed their flight from Frankfurt and as well as adding Munich. I would have thought that both airlines could have done ok at LGW especially with them feeding their respective hubs and maintaining a larger and wider presence in the London market.
94 Countries, 327 Destinations Worldwide, 32 Airlines, 29 Aircraft Types, 182 Airports, 335 Flights.

AV8AJET

Mon Apr 10, 2017 10:49 pm

Norwegian:

LGW-ATL???

Long shot I know
"To fly or not to fly there is no question!"

Cunard

Mon Apr 10, 2017 10:53 pm

AviationRhys wrote:
Eindhoven wrote:
MT to MLA
VY to LPA

U2 have in recent years stopped serving BRU, CGN, DUS & DME so I don't think they will be back anytime soon. Also U2 already serves MUC.

I could however see U2 operating to EIN & GOA.

I was also thinking that LPA could be served by BA, and even PMI which is a major gap in their network from Gatwick IMO.

I totally agree with you regarding LPA and PMI, with all the recent additions to the BA short haul network over the last couple of years I have always been surprised by the lack of Palma, the transfer of LPA from LHR makes sense going forward, regardless of the fact that there are numerous airlines flying these routes they are both a major gaps in their short haul network from Gatwick.

AviationRhys
Topic Author

Mon Apr 10, 2017 10:53 pm

AV8AJET wrote:
Norwegian:

LGW-ATL???

Long shot I know

I'm sure there are other US markets that would come before but Atlanta could work especially if Norwegian expanded their European network and offered connections at LGW.

BigTexFlyer

Tue Apr 11, 2017 12:06 am

I still think ORD-OSL is a likely route. SK/UA have had years to this. DY seems likely.

Cunard

Tue Apr 11, 2017 12:13 am

BigTexFlyer wrote:
I still think ORD-OSL is a likely route. SK/UA have had years to this. DY seems likely.

This a thread about future routes/airlines at Gatwick not a 'where will Norwegian fly to next' thread, why does everyone always lean towards Norwegian in every discussion.

We are not discussing future routes from ORD or OSL we are discussing GATWICK.

dcajet

Tue Apr 11, 2017 12:27 am

PatrickZ80 wrote:
Norwegian to:
- Amsterdam
- Paris (CdG or Orly)
- Bangkok
- Delhi
- Chicago

Add Buenos Aires/EZE to the list. According to DY, they are looking to start the route in November, around the same time they'd start domestic and regional operations in Argentina.
"Unattended children will be given espresso and a free kitten"

Cunard

Tue Apr 11, 2017 12:49 am

dcajet wrote:
PatrickZ80 wrote:
Norwegian to:
- Amsterdam
- Paris (CdG or Orly)
- Bangkok
- Delhi
- Chicago

Add Buenos Aires/EZE to the list. According to DY, they are looking to start the route in November, around the same time they'd start domestic and regional operations in Argentina.

I've already listed Buenos Aires in my post 21.

PatrickZ80

Tue Apr 11, 2017 6:19 am

AV8AJET wrote:
Norwegian:

LGW-ATL???

Long shot I know

Problem with that is that Atlanta hardly sees any O/D traffic, it's not popular as a destination. I know it's a large airport, but by far most passengers are connecting there. Norwegian doesn't have a connecting partner in Atlanta. Looking at their current destinations in the USA, they're all destinations that see a lot of O/D traffic.

LuxuryTravelled

Tue Apr 11, 2017 7:40 am

Norwegian had applied for Tokyo and Singapore this winter - but there is a problem with them overflying Russia, so have abandoned them for Denver and Seattle. I also think the 737MAX could make an appearance on something like a Providence or Stewart . It also leaves the Washington market - which I'm sure they will cover at some point.

Regarding other routes, given BA has upped Mauritius to 5x week, which I personally think is a bit too much, wouldn't be surprised to see that split with a 2x weekly Seychelles.

northsouthnomad

Wed Apr 19, 2017 12:34 pm

Cunard wrote:
As this is a post about Future Routes/Airlines at Gatwick and not necessarily a post about how Norwegian will fly XY and Z I will just add the following.

New routes/airlines already confirmed and scheduled for Gatwick in the near future.

China Airlines-Taipei
Georgian Airlines-Tbilisi
Rwandair-Kigali

Long haul expansion by existing airlines to new destinations.

Norwegian-Denver, Seattle (possible contenders for future long haul expansion Baltimore, Bangkok, Buenos Aires, Cape Town, Chicago, Dallas or Houston)
Tainjin Airlines-Xi'an

Norwegian have announced that Cape Town and Durban are their target cities in Souh Africa for new routes from Gatwick. This will provide Durban's first non top flight to London

Luisvalero

Wed Apr 19, 2017 1:11 pm

787fan8 wrote:
British Airways to HAV

Why all BA South american new services except Brazil/Argentina/Chile should be launched from LGW instead of LHR? I Think this is one of the main reasons LIM and SJO aren't performing good from LGW, because they need Also LHR connections. AF flies from CDG to LIM SJO and HAV, not from ORY

Cunard

Wed Apr 19, 2017 6:29 pm

northsouthnomad wrote:
Cunard wrote:

Norwegian have announced that Cape Town and Durban are their target cities in Souh Africa for new routes from Gatwick. This will provide Durban's first non top flight to London

British Airways previously served Durban with a direct non stop flight twice weekly from LHR during the 1980s with 747s.

South African Airways also flew a direct twice weekly Heathrow to Durban via Johannesburg flight during the same period using Boeing 747-300, I flew this route twice.

northsouthnomad

Thu Apr 20, 2017 3:43 pm

Cunard wrote:
northsouthnomad wrote:
Cunard wrote:

British Airways previously served Durban with a direct non stop flight twice weekly from LHR during the 1980s with 747s.

South African Airways also flew a direct twice weekly Heathrow to Durban via Johannesburg flight during the same period using Boeing 747-300, I flew this route twice.

Was not aware of the BA non stop. It has always been made to seem that all went via Joburg

Cunard

Thu Apr 20, 2017 8:52 pm

No I can assure you that during the mid to late 80s BA operated LHR to DUR non stop, for example in 1986 the shipping company I was working for at the time had an allocation of blocked seats for crew joining the ship in Durban, I had to fly SAA Heathrow to Durban via Johannesburg (same plane service) as there was not enough seats for all the crew on the direct BA flight to Durban especially as I was flying business class which I was entitled to being a 'very young 20yo' British Merchant Navy Petty Officer serving with the CUNARD LINE.

SkyVoice

Sun May 07, 2017 3:37 am

LGW was the original nonstop TATL destination from CVG. Service began in 1985 with a Delta L-1011 TriStar 5X/week, which was upgraded to daily 777 service by 1998. If Delta is not going to restore that service, then DY, BA, or some other carrier should seriously consider serving CVG. The market is there and the gate space is available at CVG right now!
"Your talents may take you where your character can not keep you." - Terry Nelson

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos