Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

dcaord
Topic Author

United ORD-MDW

Mon Apr 10, 2017 10:45 pm

Just saw a united A320 on final into MDW. After further research, turns out it's UA2545 from ORD-MDW. Anyone know what this is about??

Q

Re: United ORD-MDW

Mon Apr 10, 2017 11:21 pm

Probably charter sports or military flight to pick up or drop off at MDW. Or possible I assume that it has to land low fuel due storms in ORD. I don't know what is result in MDW today for United A320.

Q

compensateme

Mon Apr 10, 2017 11:23 pm

Positioning flight to take the White Sox to Cleveland.
We don’t care what your next flight is.

drdisque

Tue Apr 11, 2017 2:03 am

Yes, for some reason the Sox insist on using MDW, but United is the official airline of the Sox, so UA has to position an aircraft to/from MDW for every Sox charter. Oh well, I'm sure they get compensated for it and from their perspective it's better than a lot of college charters which require much longer positioning flights.

Beardown91737

Tue Apr 11, 2017 5:16 am

North Side vs. South Side. It is a real thing. White Sox would be betraying their fan base if they flew from ORD.
135 hrs PIC (mostly PA-28) - not current. Landings at MDW, PIA, JAN.

stlgph

Tue Apr 11, 2017 5:22 am

And seniority on parking! :0
if assumptions could fly, airliners.net would be the world's busiest airport

wnflyguy

Tue Apr 11, 2017 11:45 am

SOX charters seen at MDW all the time during Baseball season.

Flyguy
My Wings are clipped just another Retired Airline person. The Ultimate Armchair out of the loop airline industry geek. Aloha Mr Hand!

mbm3

Tue Apr 11, 2017 5:10 pm

Not only did the charter use MDW instead of ORD, but it also landed at BKL instead of CLE and returned to ORD after dropping off the White Sox. Much easier for teams to use BKL given the quick in/out plus proximity to the the team hotel. The Miami Dolphins have even used a 752.

http://flightaware.com/live/flight/UAL2 ... /KMDW/KBKL

http://flightaware.com/live/flight/UAL2 ... /KBKL/KORD
Let Me Tell You, Landing A 772ER Is Harder Than It Looks!

sw733

Tue Apr 11, 2017 5:45 pm

drdisque wrote:
for some reason the Sox insist on using MDW

For some reason? Perhaps because US Cellular Field is 9 miles from MDW but 20 miles from ORD...

KFLLCFII

Tue Apr 11, 2017 8:11 pm

Is Cleveland so far from Chicago that they have to fly? If they're already on the team bus (with maybe another truck for the equipment), why not just drive the few hours east?
"About the only way to look at it, just a pity you are not POTUS KFLLCFII, seems as if we would all be better off."

sw733

Tue Apr 11, 2017 8:33 pm

KFLLCFII wrote:
Is Cleveland so far from Chicago that they have to fly? If they're already on the team bus (with maybe another truck for the equipment), why not just drive the few hours east?

It's more than a few hours...with any kind of traffic, and as bus speeds, it's 6 hours from Chicago to Cleveland.

But come on...these guys are professional baseball players and the team (even a bad one like the White Sox) make more money each year than you or I could image. They're not going to take a bus. Not to mention the fact that it would be hard to attract talented players when you tell them you are putting them on a bus to Cleveland.

Even the Indians got a DC-3.

StuckinCMHland

Tue Apr 11, 2017 8:54 pm

sw733 wrote:
KFLLCFII wrote:

It's more than a few hours...with any kind of traffic, and as bus speeds, it's 6 hours from Chicago to Cleveland.

But come on...these guys are professional baseball players and the team (even a bad one like the White Sox) make more money each year than you or I could image. They're not going to take a bus. Not to mention the fact that it would be hard to attract talented players when you tell them you are putting them on a bus to Cleveland.

You are wrong, after getting to game 7 of the Series the team charter moved up to a Ford Trimotor :bouncy:

ucdtim17

Tue Apr 11, 2017 9:02 pm

United flew the Angels charter 738 from SFO-OAK to pick them up last week. I guess between UA and the Angels they'd rather pay the cost of that flight than having the whole team bussed over to SFO.

WorldFlier

Tue Apr 11, 2017 9:11 pm

KFLLCFII wrote:

Driving is the most dangerous things Americans do on a daily basis. I would prefer the team fly whenever possible, if I were the owner (and the life insurance company)...

Also, it can take over an hour to get from White Sox stadium to just Indiana if there's traffic...let alone Cleveland which is probably around 6 hours.

hOMSaR

Tue Apr 11, 2017 9:19 pm

sw733 wrote:

IIRC, they were eventually downgraded to a bus when they weren't losing enough.

That, or when they ran out of enough duct tape to repair the propellor.
I was raised by a cup of coffee.

StuckinCMHland

Tue Apr 11, 2017 11:21 pm

hOMSaR wrote:
sw733 wrote:

IIRC, they were eventually downgraded to a bus when they weren't losing enough.

That, or when they ran out of enough duct tape to repair the propellor.

Thanks for straitening that out, I thought that happened after their last horse died.

stlgph

Wed Apr 12, 2017 12:46 am

KFLLCFII wrote:

There's also the issue of crazed fans chasing them down the road.
if assumptions could fly, airliners.net would be the world's busiest airport

SkyVoice

Wed Apr 12, 2017 1:48 am

Hey, what's wrong with the Sox flying into & out of Midway anyway? Baseball is a game of tradition, and whether the White Sox intend to or not, they are following in the footsteps of the first major league baseball team to travel by air. That was the Cincinnati Reds! In June, 1934 the Reds chartered an American Airlines DC-2 to take the team from Lunken Field (LUK/KLUK) in Cincinnati to MDW, with an intermediate stop in Indianapolis.

Here's more details . . . http://flyingwithfish.boardingarea.com/2012/07/21/baseballs-aviation-history/
"Tough times never last. Tough people do." - Dr. Robert H. Schuller

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos