umichman

Re: Alitalia bankruptcy and selling process discussion thread

Sun May 05, 2019 12:34 am

IADFCO wrote:
Last Thursday Alitalia started its year-round IAD-FCO service, *finally* giving a minimum of competition to the seasonal UA flight, so it cannot go bankrupt until *I* say so.

I hereby nominate you for the position of CEO of Alitalia. It appears you are prepared to run the airline wisely and without any personal self-interest :) You certainly can't do any worse than past CEO's.

AtomicGarden

Sun May 05, 2019 12:45 am

hinckley wrote:
AtomicGarden wrote:
YIMBY wrote:
This thread is two years old.

Should it be treated like other continuous threads, i.e. a new thread every year or so?

Nah, I don't think so. I've been following the thread since its inception and lately it's been no more than sporadic updates that are nonetheless relevant, but nothing to warrant a new thread.

I think YIMBY may have been being facetious. I know I chuckled when I read his post. You know … the continuous "Alitalia's about to shutdown" discussion. ha ha :)

Ah, crap... you are so right. My apologies to NIMBY, it's actually quite an amusing comment. I was probably on the defensive as this is the only thread in my bookmarks!
You killed a black astronaut, Cyril! That's like killing a unicorn!

Phosphorus

Sun May 05, 2019 7:55 am

kitplane01 wrote:

When was the last time a European nation shut down its national airline?

If we talk about THE national airline, then MALEV probably is a recent example; earlier, Swissair and Sabena collapsed spectacularly. Estonian Air and Blue1 were more of managed wind-down, to be replaced with something else.

If we broaden the scope to include the second national airline, recent examples are BMI, Spanair, Air Berlin. History of France is littered with "dead #2 national airlines", no surprise there.
AN4 A40 L4T TU3 TU5 IL6 ILW I93 F50 F70 100 146 ARJ AT7 DH4 L10 CRJ ERJ E90 E95 DC-9 MD-8X YK4 YK2 SF3 S20 319 320 321 332 333 343 346 722 732 733 734 735 73G 738 739 744 74M 757 767 777
Ceterum autem censeo, Moscovia esse delendam

Blerg

Sun May 05, 2019 6:48 pm

Phosphorus wrote:
kitplane01 wrote:

When was the last time a European nation shut down its national airline?

If we talk about THE national airline, then MALEV probably is a recent example; earlier, Swissair and Sabena collapsed spectacularly. Estonian Air and Blue1 were more of managed wind-down, to be replaced with something else.

If we broaden the scope to include the second national airline, recent examples are BMI, Spanair, Air Berlin. History of France is littered with "dead #2 national airlines", no surprise there.

I think MA declared bankruptcy, it wasn't really shut down by the Hungarian government in the classical sense of the word. I think MA's end began when TLV refused to release the plane to fly back to BUD due to unpaid bills. That was the first event in the unfortunate story.

Nola

Wed May 08, 2019 4:44 pm

And the deadline is extended to June. https://www.flightglobal.com/news/artic ... to-457977/

LAXintl

Fri Jun 07, 2019 9:48 pm

As latest June 15th deadline nears, Italian government still trying to firm up the structure of the Italian railway company Ferrovie dello Stato (FS) consortium rescue the bankrupt carrier.

https://atwonline.com/airlines/deadline ... tor-lineup

Delta seems to still be involved.
From the desert to the sea, to all of Southern California

mercure1

Thu Jun 13, 2019 10:19 pm

The chairman of Rome’s S.S. Lazio football club, Claudio Lotito, has become the latest investor to express interest in Italian flag carrier Alitalia.

The offer comes just two days before the latest deadline—June 15—in which Italian railway company Ferrovie dello Stato (FS) is set to present a detailed bid and business plan to lead the revamp of Alitalia in cooperation with the Italian government, which wants to make it the cornerstone of a multimodal transport strategy that will boost Italian tourism, with Atlanta-based Delta Air Lines also taking part.

New bidder emerges for Alitalia; deadline may be delayed again
https://atwonline.com/airlines/new-bidd ... ayed-again
mercure f-wtcc

jfern022

Fri Jun 14, 2019 12:02 am

No matter who picks it up will have the unions to contend with, which won't make matters easy, unless the IT government steps in to handle that.

IADFCO

Tue Jun 18, 2019 3:36 am

Ah, Mercure1 beat me to it!

Yes, Claudio Lotito put in a confidential bid for Alitalia. As an aviation professional and a decades long suffering fan of the Lazio football team, I feel I am uniquely qualified to assess this bid. Claudio Lotito is also known among the Lazio fans as Lotirchio (TheStingy), for his strategy of buying cheap players -- great players well past their prime, players coming off big injuries, players at the end of their contracts, etc. If the team needs defensive players, he will get forwards if it costs him less money. Some end up being really good, but typically Lazio tends to fizzle out toward the end of the season.

Easy to predict what Lotito's Alitalia fleet would look like. First of all, A343s and 344s. Then the early A380s, the weird ones. All the 757s as they are about to be scrapped, and the oldest (cheapest) 744s. If he discovers VCV the sky is the limit. DC-10 and MD-11 fans might enjoy seeing their favorite planes back into service (if there are any left). And, depending on how the grounding goes, MAXes, lots of MAXes!

:rotfl:

dcajet

Efromovich eyes purchasing a stake in Alitalia

Sun Jun 30, 2019 3:11 pm

After being ousted as chairman of Avianca Holdings. German Efromovich has set his eyes on Alitalia and is looking at purchasing 30% of the company. He has been negotiating with Italy's Ferrovie dello Stato.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles ... talia-sole
"Unattended children will be given espresso and a free kitten"

Etheereal

Re: Efromovich eyes purchasing a stake in Alitalia

Sun Jun 30, 2019 3:18 pm

Poor Alitalia..
JetBuddy wrote:
"737 slides off the runway" is the new "Florida man"..

:lol:

mercure1

Sun Jun 30, 2019 3:40 pm

Now former Avianca owner/chairman German Efromovich considering a stake in AZ.

mercure f-wtcc

Pyrex

Sun Jun 30, 2019 8:09 pm

mercure1 wrote:
Now former Avianca owner/chairman German Efromovich considering a stake in AZ.

With what money? Just a few months ago he bankrupted two airlines and lost control of another one.
Read this very carefully, I shall write this only once!

dfpinto

Mon Jul 01, 2019 7:30 am

There was a separate thread for the Efromovich topic and it was closed because it was already being discussed in this 2 year old 19 page thread about Alitalia.

A few weeks back, in this same forum, there was a thread with at least 5 pages, only dedicated at Jetblue's switch from Coke to Pepsi... This is very consistent...

TheEuphorian

Mon Jul 01, 2019 11:22 am

dfpinto wrote:
There was a separate thread for the Efromovich topic and it was closed because it was already being discussed in this 2 year old 19 page thread about Alitalia.

A few weeks back, in this same forum, there was a thread with at least 5 pages, only dedicated at Jetblue's switch from Coke to Pepsi... This is very consistent...

Also don't forget the random 6-page thread about some random airline starting a route to some backwater town in the U.S.

FCOTSTW

Alitalia Gets Nationalized ( again )

Wed Jul 10, 2019 2:53 pm

According to the economic section of the Corriere della Sera, Alitalia is being nationalized again into a new corporation, with a 35% ownership of the national railroad company ( Ferrovie dello Stato ) and a 15 % ownership of the Italian Department of Commerce ( Ministero dell’ Economia ). Probably the most singular stipulation of this project is that the Italian government plans to complete it in five days from now, by July 15, without any possibility of extension. In addition, although Delta Air Lines will own 10 % of the remaining shares, 40 % of ownership, valued at € 300MM, still has not being sold. Potential offerors include Claudio Lotito, owner of the Serie A soccer team S. S. Lazio, the Toto Group, which manages the country’ s autostrade ( the country’ s toll highways ), and Avianca’ s German Efromovich, who recently started bankruptcy proceedings in Brazil. Still, none of these candidates appeal neither to the transaction advisor, Mediobanca, not to the state government. In addition, Delta Air Lines is strongly opposing ownership by German Efromovich.

Overall, the article highlights how AZ is doing overall better, with revenue growth of 4.40 % compared to June 2018, , with an increase of 2.20 % of transported passengers ( the article does not mention the benchmark month ), and with an overall improvement in punctuality.

Source ( in Italian ): https://www.corriere.it/economia/aziend ... ba66.shtml

mwhcvt

Re: Alitalia Gets Nationalized ( again )

Wed Jul 10, 2019 3:00 pm

I’m sure that will only prove to even further upset the EU and their opinion of the current Italian government

I’m sometimes wonder which is the bigger basket case, Alitalia or Air India
Must think up a new one soon, slow moving brain trying to get into gear ;)

jensona6

Wed Jul 10, 2019 3:01 pm

What happens to the stakes belonging to Etihad then?

ScottB

Wed Jul 10, 2019 3:09 pm

mwhcvt wrote:
I’m sure that will only prove to even further upset the EU and their opinion of the current Italian government

Probably, but the EU's position is weaker than it has been in recent years, what with Brexit looming and the surging prospects for Italian politicians who have championed an Italeave. With Alitalia being one of Italy's more recognizable corporate symbols, it would be unwise to throw another log on the fire of Euroskeptic nationalist resentment in Italy.

FCOTSTW

Wed Jul 10, 2019 3:20 pm

jensona6 wrote:
What happens to the stakes belonging to Etihad then?

There is no mentioning of Etihad in teh article. I might speculate that they are just being liquidated.

Bricktop

Wed Jul 10, 2019 4:47 pm

ScottB wrote:
mwhcvt wrote:

Probably, but the EU's position is weaker than it has been in recent years, what with Brexit looming and the surging prospects for Italian politicians who have championed an Italeave. With Alitalia being one of Italy's more recognizable corporate symbols, it would be unwise to throw another log on the fire of Euroskeptic nationalist resentment in Italy.

Yes, the pragmatic and wrong thing to do. Wrong for Alitalia, Italy and the EU.

YIMBY

Wed Jul 10, 2019 5:12 pm

Bricktop wrote:
ScottB wrote:
mwhcvt wrote:

I am not sure how the process goes, if someone in EU initiates an official protest, but when it is in the hands of judges, politics should play no role.

mwhcvt

Wed Jul 10, 2019 6:03 pm

Bricktop wrote:
ScottB wrote:
mwhcvt wrote:

Totally off topic so will probably get me a slap on the wrist but I have to ask, is your user name related to the film Snatch?
Must think up a new one soon, slow moving brain trying to get into gear ;)

ScottB

Wed Jul 10, 2019 6:08 pm

YIMBY wrote:
I am not sure how the process goes, if someone in EU initiates an official protest, but when it is in the hands of judges, politics should play no role.

Except there's a vast gap between the judicial process and the actual enforcement of a judgment. The EU itself has near zero enforcement power against one of its own constituent states.

Bricktop

Wed Jul 10, 2019 11:16 pm

mwhcvt wrote:
Bricktop wrote:
ScottB wrote:

Totally off topic so will probably get me a slap on the wrist but I have to ask, is your user name related to the film Snatch?

If I throw a dog a bone, I don’t want to know if it tastes good or not.
:rotfl:

HighFlyerIT

Sun Jul 14, 2019 6:07 pm

Supposedly the business plan of the new Alitalia, developed by Ferrovie dello Stato (Italian railways) and Delta Airlines (in Italian):

https://www.ilsole24ore.com/art/alitali ... iu-ACeqkFY

Inviato dal mio Redmi Note 7 utilizzando Tapatalk

dcajet

Sun Jul 14, 2019 6:25 pm

HighFlyerIT wrote:
Supposedly the business plan of the new Alitalia, developed by Ferrovie dello Stato (Italian railways) and Delta Airlines (in Italian):

A smaller AZ it seems. According to the article the following 4 long haul destinations from FCO will be cut:'

* Johannesburg
* Santiago de Chile
* Delhi
* Havana

And Male from MXP.

bennett123

Sun Jul 14, 2019 7:02 pm

Does anyone know how profitable/unprofitable these routes were?.

I suspect that HAV would be an issue for DL.

dcajet

Sun Jul 14, 2019 8:26 pm

bennett123 wrote:
Does anyone know how profitable/unprofitable these routes were?.

I suspect that HAV would be an issue for DL.

Why would it be an issue for Delta, if it (DL) operates there too?

enilria

Sun Jul 14, 2019 9:29 pm

“Alitalia Attracts Atlanta-based Delta and Atlantia”. Is this a headline or a tongue twister?

AtomicGarden

Sun Jul 14, 2019 9:35 pm

So in the end the employees get pay cuts, lay offs and a decrease in airplanes and routes. Are these small enough to be accepted by the unions?
You killed a black astronaut, Cyril! That's like killing a unicorn!

Dieuwer

Sun Jul 14, 2019 10:05 pm

HighFlyerIT wrote:

Delusional business plan.
No self-respecting Italian union would agree to ANY pay cuts. And why should they? They can put pressure on the Italian Government for more handouts.

Waterbomber2

Mon Jul 15, 2019 6:54 am

Dieuwer wrote:
HighFlyerIT wrote:

No self-respecting Italian union would agree to ANY pay cuts. And why should they? They can put pressure on the Italian Government for more handouts.

The business plan is delusional for sure, but why is DL getting aboard on such a venture?

There isn't much substance to turn AZ around there.
Intermodal is interesting for whatever cities that are within 90 minutes from FCO, but for the rest it's a bit of a stretch.

The unions may accept it because the redundancies are temporary and acceptable.

But AZ needs more than this. Much much more.

bennett123

Mon Jul 15, 2019 7:03 am

dcajet

Doesn’t the US have sanctions on Cuba?.

Phosphorus

Mon Jul 15, 2019 7:57 am

Dieuwer wrote:
HighFlyerIT wrote:

In theory, this is a point, where interests of the union as a self-perpetuating organization, and of the CURRENT membership, could become asymmetrical.
Existing members could, in principle, agree to a lower cost structure with creation of a B-scale pay and benefits for all newly hired past certain date (for example, September 1, 2019). This would create a financial incentive for any owner (government included) to grow the airline to lower unit cost, rather than shrink it. Current membership should feel more secure in this scenario.

Of course, the unions would hate this scenario like poison. So, the airline would continue to shrink, laying off staff and losing money...
AN4 A40 L4T TU3 TU5 IL6 ILW I93 F50 F70 100 146 ARJ AT7 DH4 L10 CRJ ERJ E90 E95 DC-9 MD-8X YK4 YK2 SF3 S20 319 320 321 332 333 343 346 722 732 733 734 735 73G 738 739 744 74M 757 767 777
Ceterum autem censeo, Moscovia esse delendam

GianiDC

Mon Jul 15, 2019 11:29 am

dcajet wrote:
HighFlyerIT wrote:

A smaller AZ it seems. According to the article the following 4 long haul destinations from FCO will be cut:'

* Johannesburg
* Santiago de Chile
* Delhi
* Havana

And Male from MXP.

Didn´t they start JNB just a year or so ago? Seems to have been a brilliant idea...

hinckley

Mon Jul 15, 2019 1:20 pm

Waterbomber2 wrote:
The business plan is delusional for sure, but why is DL getting aboard on such a venture?

Without a doubt, the biggest question of this whole restructuring plan. Everything else is classic Italy/Alitalia.

MIflyer12

Mon Jul 15, 2019 1:31 pm

hinckley wrote:
Waterbomber2 wrote:

Without a doubt, the biggest question of this whole restructuring plan. Everything else is classic Italy/Alitalia.

DL knows the revenue it gets from DL metal/AZ-coded tickets to/from MXP/FCO/VCE, and it knows the revenue at risk from Italy destinations and origins that are served by AZ but not AF/KL.

hinckley

Mon Jul 15, 2019 2:17 pm

MIflyer12 wrote:
hinckley wrote:
Waterbomber2 wrote:

DL knows the revenue it gets from DL metal/AZ-coded tickets to/from MXP/FCO/VCE, and it knows the revenue at risk from Italy destinations and origins that are served by AZ but not AF/KL.

That's a fair comment, and an economic rationale that makes sense if the numbers work. And I think we all agree that DL knows how to do the math.

dcajet

Mon Jul 15, 2019 3:32 pm

GianiDC wrote:
dcajet wrote:
HighFlyerIT wrote:

* Johannesburg
* Santiago de Chile
* Delhi
* Havana

And Male from MXP.

Didn´t they start JNB just a year or so ago? Seems to have been a brilliant idea...

All of them were (not sure about DEL) started within the last 2 years, during the Etihad administration.

IADFCO

Tue Jul 16, 2019 4:26 pm

https://www.ilsole24ore.com/art/alitali ... re-ACKMezY
(sorry, in Italian only)

It's going to be: Ferrovie dello Stato (Italian Railways) 35%, MEF--Ministero Economia e Finanze (Italian Government) 15%, Delta 10-15%, and Atlantia about 35%. The business plan is being finalized, for a presentation of the final binding offer to the Alitalia administrators in September.

Atlantia is the Benetton family's (those of the clothing business) holding company. It runs Rome airports and it is a major shareholder of the company that manages a big chunk of the Italian (toll) highways. In fact, according to some commentators, they had no interest in saving Alitalia, but wanted to improve their standing (or get a bargaining chip) with the government following the controversy over the collapse of a highway bridge in Genova last year, which killed almost 50 people, and for which the government threatened to terminate the highway management contract.

TropicalSky

Tue Jul 16, 2019 9:02 pm

jsfr

Tue Jul 16, 2019 9:21 pm

jsfr wrote:
Mega deja-vu.

Inevitable, and hilarious. Alitalia will outlive all of us and never make a cent in profit… The old white male Italian clans will keep passing it from one to another which will at least ensure that Airliner.net gets new threads on a regular basis. Trigger the following threads (organised by year):

2020 - Trenitalia seeks to offload loss-making airline division

2022 - Lombardy government looks for Alitalia buyer

2024 - Pirelli results plumment n Alitalia performance, looking for a buyer

2026 - Sicilian state votes independance and Alitalia privatisation

2028 - ENI decide to focus on core business and look for buyer of loss-making airline

2030 - Venezia can no longer cover airline debts

2032 - Benetton sell Alitalia to state....

Around 2040 they may sell the maintenace division to the Autostrada per l'Italia, in the meantime Berlusconi will have been appointed administrator in charge of PNC recruitment and training....

Seems when I made the above hypothesis almost a year ago I got the order slightly wrong, sorry.

Waterbomber2

Tue Jul 16, 2019 9:28 pm

hinckley wrote:
MIflyer12 wrote:
hinckley wrote:

That's a fair comment, and an economic rationale that makes sense if the numbers work. And I think we all agree that DL knows how to do the math.

A 10-15% stake would still cost DL 100-150 million USD.
You need a lot of revenues and resulting margins to make up for that IMO.

Well good, for once the Benetton family is giving back.
I can live with this ownership setup, but the business plan should be a lot more than a few stones thrown into the river, which is what this is.
They need to carve out a niche that they can be successful in.

coronado

Tue Jul 16, 2019 9:53 pm

It strikes me that Delta can advise the new board how to reconfigure Alitalia as a 2 hub or actually I would prefer the term a two focus city airline (Milan and Rome), Italy's geography and economic distribution makes a one hub solution problematic. Delta is certainly accustomed to analyzing flows & yields over a multiple hub operation and have proven able to develop successful focus cities, and integrate the Amsterdam hub for certain transaltantic flows.
The Original Coronado: First CV jet flights RG CV 990 July 1965; DL CV 880 July 1965; Spantax CV990 Feb 1973

Blerg

Fri Jul 19, 2019 6:27 am

Not only was JNB recently launched but it will also get a 5th weekly frequency this winter. Maybe the route is not unprofitable, maybe it's just not profitable enough.

https://www.routesonline.com/news/38/ai ... e-in-ns19/

bennett123

Fri Jul 19, 2019 7:16 am

With a 15% share how much influence will DL have?.

spannacomo

Fri Jul 19, 2019 8:28 am

bennett123 wrote:

not enough to prevent another failure

MrBren

Fri Jul 19, 2019 8:33 am

spannacomo wrote:
bennett123 wrote:

not enough to prevent another failure

As if having DL on board with a larger stake would avoid a failure.

lesfalls

Fri Jul 19, 2019 9:25 am

Blerg wrote:
Not only was JNB recently launched but it will also get a 5th weekly frequency this winter. Maybe the route is not unprofitable, maybe it's just not profitable enough.

https://www.routesonline.com/news/38/ai ... e-in-ns19/

If AZ is dropping JNB alongside IB then something just doesn't make sense as the flights for both carriers have been full but the yield supringly also is low then which is what doesn't make sense to me as JNB is quite a buisness city with good yield according to other network EU carriers which serve the city.
Lufthansa: Einfach ein bisschen mehr.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos