Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

Speedy752

Re: Updated ITA/Alitalia News and Discussion Thread

Mon Aug 02, 2021 3:09 am

jbs2886 wrote:
JerseyFlyer wrote:
Speculation about an all-Airbus fleet in Simple Flying:

"The confidential sources, reporting through the Italian media, already have a potential fleet plan. The airline’s future composition may be as follows:

12 Airbus A220-300s
40 Airbus A320neo
Five A321neos
23 A330-900 or A350-900"

https://simpleflying.com/alitalia-repla ... t-options/

Seems unnecessarily complicated - so doesn't look like ITA will really be that much better. Just dump the A223s and A321neos and go all in on A320neos. I can't imagine the benefit of those small fleets exceeds the extra costs (however minimal they may be for the A321neos).

I would think until they prove they’re actually turning a corner they would keep the 77E, renegotiate any a320 leases, get rid of the oldest and buy some a321XLRs and top up a320neos. Or perhaps get the a320s from lessors who repossessed them from other airlines recently. I can’t imagine the credit of new Alitalia will somehow be better than the old Alitalia.

jbs2886

Mon Aug 02, 2021 3:48 am

Speedy752 wrote:
jbs2886 wrote:
JerseyFlyer wrote:
Speculation about an all-Airbus fleet in Simple Flying:

"The confidential sources, reporting through the Italian media, already have a potential fleet plan. The airline’s future composition may be as follows:

12 Airbus A220-300s
40 Airbus A320neo
Five A321neos
23 A330-900 or A350-900"

https://simpleflying.com/alitalia-repla ... t-options/

Seems unnecessarily complicated - so doesn't look like ITA will really be that much better. Just dump the A223s and A321neos and go all in on A320neos. I can't imagine the benefit of those small fleets exceeds the extra costs (however minimal they may be for the A321neos).

I would think until they prove they’re actually turning a corner they would keep the 77E, renegotiate any a320 leases, get rid of the oldest and buy some a321XLRs and top up a320neos. Or perhaps get the a320s from lessors who repossessed them from other airlines recently. I can’t imagine the credit of new Alitalia will somehow be better than the old Alitalia.

Credit is actually probably much better by jettisoning old debt, union contracts, and other obligations, coupled with some government backing. (Yes, I know its not *that* simple, but I anticipate much better finances because its cleaner.) But, I agree seems a full-blown fleet replacement is a bit aggressive.

rove312

Mon Aug 02, 2021 3:55 pm

And for now no website or way of booking ITA flights?

mercure1

Mon Aug 02, 2021 4:17 pm

rove312 wrote:

https://www.alitalia.com

ITA is simply a legal successor company. You can continue booking AZ website

IADFCO

Mon Aug 02, 2021 4:33 pm

mercure1 wrote:
rove312 wrote:

I have spent a few minutes browsing the site and it seems to live in a parallel universe in which Alitalia will continue to exist for years to come. The information about delayed or canceled flights (pages of legalese) only refers to Covid-19 events. The MilleMiglia news link lives in the same parallel universe. For now I'd say: use that web site at your own risk.

Hopefully, ATI will learn the Alitalia lessons on how important it is to care about your customers, and what happens if you don't.

IADFCO

Mon Aug 02, 2021 4:35 pm

IADFCO wrote:
Hopefully, ATI will learn the Alitalia lessons on how important it is to care about your customers, and what happens if you don't.

I obviously meant ITA, but maybe it's a Freudian slip, thinking of days long gone!

dcajet

Mon Aug 02, 2021 11:39 pm

IADFCO wrote:
mercure1 wrote:
rove312 wrote:

I have spent a few minutes browsing the site and it seems to live in a parallel universe in which Alitalia will continue to exist for years to come. The information about delayed or canceled flights (pages of legalese) only refers to Covid-19 events. The MilleMiglia news link lives in the same parallel universe. For now I'd say: use that web site at your own risk.

Indeed, it's a mess. Be careful as ITA is saying it won´t honor tickets sold beyond October 15th. In fact, at stations such as EZE and GRU; where ITA does not plan to return until April 2022 at least, they are refunding the money for outstanding tickets held by travelers.

https://www.ilfattoquotidiano.it/2021/0 ... a/6281529/

ContinentalEWR

Tue Aug 03, 2021 5:59 am

MXP-JFK-MXP on AZ suspended now through the end of the Summer.

dcajet

Tue Aug 03, 2021 5:42 pm

ContinentalEWR wrote:

And so is FCO-BOS-FCO. This means that AZ won't operate them any longer and they will be picked up at some point in the near future by ITA.

On a related note, the cancellation of all outstanding reservations on Alitalia after October 15th may get tied up in court in Argentina.

https://www.lanacion.com.ar/economia/pa ... d03082021/

rove312

Tue Aug 03, 2021 6:44 pm

dcajet wrote:

Indeed, it's a mess. Be careful as ITA is saying it won´t honor tickets sold beyond October 15th. In fact, at stations such as EZE and GRU; where ITA does not plan to return until April 2022 at least, they are refunding the money for outstanding tickets held by travelers.

https://www.ilfattoquotidiano.it/2021/0 ... a/6281529/

As I read that article, ITA will start selling tickets on Aug. 15.

dcajet

Wed Aug 04, 2021 12:22 am

Here is the information that was distributed today to travel agents in Argentina, updating them on the situation as well as instructions on how to process reservations, cancellations and who recognizes what. Millemiglia program members, here's some bad news for you. Your miles are worthless.

El 15/10 comienza a operar ITA, una nueva aerolínea que reemplaza a Alitalia.
Será más pequeña que Alitalia, con menos flota y menos empleados (continuarían los actuales de Alitalia). El dueño del 100% será el estado italiano.
El 14/08 AZ realizará un ‘cutover’: Todas las reservas activas con fecha de vuelo posterior al 15/10 serán canceladas.
AZ no va a endosar a la nueva ITA ni a sus socios de Skyteam. Todos los documentos (tickets y bonos) van a reembolso en la moneda original de emisión, a valor nominal.
ITA es una nueva compañía aérea y distinta a Alitalia, sin embargo, el código 055/AZ para IATA se mantendría.
Las devoluciones involuntarias se pueden solicitar sólo cuando las reservas aparezcan ‘UN’. Las voluntarias se pueden solicitar antes con la penalidad correspondiente.
El 15/08 se abre la venta a los vuelos de ITA.
ITA por el momento no seria parte de la alianza SkyTeam, ni tampoco reconocerá el programa Millemiglia. Los socios Millemiglia perderán sus millas, sin embargo hasta el 14 de agosto se podrian emitir premios con los partners Skyteam.
ATENCION : Los vuelos de AZ siguen abiertos a la venta, NO EMITIR, YA QUE ESOS TICKETS IRÁN A DEVOLUCION y no serán reconocidos por la nueva ITA.

ContinentalEWR

Wed Aug 04, 2021 12:24 am

dcajet wrote:
ContinentalEWR wrote:

And so is FCO-BOS-FCO. This means that AZ won't operate them any longer and they will be picked up at some point in the near future by ITA.

On a related note, the cancellation of all outstanding reservations on Alitalia after October 15th may get tied up in court in Argentina.

https://www.lanacion.com.ar/economia/pa ... d03082021/

Yep. And FCO-BOS-FCO is a long standing route for AZ. It has operated it for decades. Incredible to think AZ can't make JFK-MXP work.

IADFCO

Wed Aug 11, 2021 4:34 pm

First two ITA airplanes: https://www.corriere.it/cronache/21_agosto_11/ita-alitalia-ecco-primo-aereo-nuova-compagnia-l-airbus-a330-tintoretto-d32cf658-faa0-11eb-ba5f-da3c10b6af90.shtml?refresh_ce (in Italian)

A330 EI-EJN, owned by Alitalia, and "borrowed" -- whatever that means -- by ITA, together with an A320, for the tests required to obtain airline certification. Tests should start on August 16. According to the article, it's the only A330 owned by Alitalia.

ContinentalEWR

Wed Aug 11, 2021 5:19 pm

Does the new company keep the Alitalia livery and corporate signage?

Blerg

Wed Aug 11, 2021 7:19 pm

Let's see if they end up introducing new uniforms. ;)

IADFCO

Wed Aug 11, 2021 7:51 pm

ContinentalEWR wrote:

According to the Corriere article, which shows a picture, the two aircraft are in the Alitalia livery with an "ITA -- operated by Alitalia" sign. ITA will have to bid for the livery and the Alitalia brand in general. There has been some speculation in the Italian press on who else may/may not be interested in bidding, but nothing firm.

ContinentalEWR

Wed Aug 11, 2021 8:57 pm

IADFCO wrote:
ContinentalEWR wrote:

According to the Corriere article, which shows a picture, the two aircraft are in the Alitalia livery with an "ITA -- operated by Alitalia" sign. ITA will have to bid for the livery and the Alitalia brand in general. There has been some speculation in the Italian press on who else may/may not be interested in bidding, but nothing firm.

Thank you IADFCO!

davidjohnson6

Wed Aug 11, 2021 10:32 pm

Which other airlines would credibly want the Alitalia brand ? If there is only 1 serious bidder, that tends to have an impact on the price. The administrator of the soon-to-be-dead airline will have an obligation to get money by selling assets... they have no duty to punish the new airline company by denying them assets of the old company

Polot

Wed Aug 11, 2021 10:46 pm

davidjohnson6 wrote:
Which other airlines would credibly want the Alitalia brand ? If there is only 1 serious bidder, that tends to have an impact on the price. The administrator of the soon-to-be-dead airline will have an obligation to get money by selling assets... they have no duty to punish the new airline company by denying them assets of the old company

Plenty of companies may be interested in the Alitalia brand. It is a famous name and logo. Look how many reincarnations of airlines like Pan Am, Eastern, Braniff, etc that there have been. It doesn’t have to be an existing airline, or even an airline at all, that buys it.

OzarkD9S

Wed Aug 11, 2021 10:50 pm

davidjohnson6 wrote:

Michael O'Leary might, just to be...well...Michael O'Leary. Open an Italian airline, call it Alitalia and operate it as Ryanair like the Malta Air setup. I wouldn't put it past him.

intotheair

Thu Aug 12, 2021 5:54 am

OzarkD9S wrote:
davidjohnson6 wrote:

Michael O'Leary might, just to be...well...Michael O'Leary. Open an Italian airline, call it Alitalia and operate it as Ryanair like the Malta Air setup. I wouldn't put it past him.

Alitalia d/b/a Ryanair...I love it!

I really hope the name dies. It's of course iconic, but the new airline needs as much of a fresh start as possible.

LAXintl

Wed Aug 18, 2021 5:40 pm

ENAC (Italian civil aviation authority) issued ITA is AOC.

https://www.corriere.it/economia/aziend ... e6ae.shtml

JerseyFlyer

Thu Aug 19, 2021 11:13 am

The A320 and A330 elements of the new fleet are arriving, from "old" Alitalia.

"In terms of the planes for ITA, we can expect that its seven widebodies will all come from the pool of 10 A330-200s currently in Alitalia’s fleet. The narrowbodies will almost certainly all be A320 family jets and could see ITA an Airbus-only operator going forward."

https://simpleflying.com/ita-air-operators-certificate/

Intriguing to see the livery rendered onto an A340 without comment, but that is Simple Flying for you.

Thibault973

Thu Aug 19, 2021 11:32 am

I can't be the only one wondering about the name conflict with the Brazilian ITA.

Searched on this forum but saw nothing on it.

SA280

Thu Aug 19, 2021 11:56 am

ITA will not be the brand.

They will bid for Alitalia brand and certainly win it (I can't imagine who else would be interested in taking it).

Breathe

Thu Aug 19, 2021 12:59 pm

SA280 wrote:
ITA will not be the brand.

They will bid for Alitalia brand and certainly win it (I can't imagine who else would be interested in taking it).

I could picture Michael O'Leary bidding, just to force ITA to pay for for the brand. :devil: :lol:

AMP44

Thu Aug 19, 2021 2:26 pm

If anyone is curious, the ITA livery on the A340 was done by "Lstcrw Aero Design / La Livery" posted on December 2020. He puts a disclaimer saying it's a fictional livery with 1988 vibes. People using his livery design and not even crediting the artist.

https://twitter.com/la_livery/status/13 ... 94/photo/1

As SA280 said, ITA will bid for the Alitalia brand and get it, as well as the codes and numbers. The same way there's airlines today using the brand of another bankrupt airline, without having anything to do with them.

Crosswind

Thu Aug 19, 2021 3:27 pm

I wouldn’t get too excited about a new livery, the whole business plan for ITA involves buying the Alitalia brand.

davidjohnson6

Thu Aug 19, 2021 3:39 pm

If ITA depends very heavily on buying the Alitalia brand.... then there presumably has to be either
1) a back-up plan in case ITA for some reason cannot buy the brand (e.g. MOL bids more money in the auction process)
or 2) there is some legal loophole which allows licencing of the brand to ITA in case ITA is somehow not the highest bidder...
or 3) there is some kind of gentleman's agreement between all the airline CEOs that might forseeably buy the Alitalia brand that it should be left for ITA to buy it

seansasLCY

Thu Aug 19, 2021 3:52 pm

davidjohnson6 wrote:
If ITA depends very heavily on buying the Alitalia brand.... then there presumably has to be either
1) a back-up plan in case ITA for some reason cannot buy the brand (e.g. MOL bids more money in the auction process)
or 2) there is some legal loophole which allows licencing of the brand to ITA in case ITA is somehow not the highest bidder...
or 3) there is some kind of gentleman's agreement between all the airline CEOs that might forseeably buy the Alitalia brand that it should be left for ITA to buy it

Never underestimate the Italian states ability to keep Alitalia alive. It wouldn’t surprise me if whatever Ryanair was to bid, the Post Office or Health Service would bid plus one Euro and then gift it to ITA. They always find a way.

CWL757

Alitalia enters administration

Tue Aug 24, 2021 4:39 pm

mercure1

Tue Aug 24, 2021 4:49 pm

Following ITA receipt of AOC, tickets are for sale effective August 26 for flights commencing October 14. At same time Alitalia will remove sales of flights from Oct 15 onwards.

https://www.corriere.it/economia/aziend ... 99d1.shtml

Detroit313

Tue Aug 24, 2021 6:28 pm

It will be interesting to see what happens in terms of alliances. ITA wil not be part of SkyTeam right? Or it will at the beginning?

ikolkyo

Tue Aug 24, 2021 6:30 pm

So ITA is literally just scaled down Alitalia under a new name. I don’t understand the point in setting up a whole different company for this. Such a shame that the Alitalia brand will be gone, loved the name and brand.

ContinentalEWR

Tue Aug 24, 2021 6:34 pm

ikolkyo wrote:
So ITA is literally just scaled down Alitalia under a new name. I don’t understand the point in setting up a whole different company for this. Such a shame that the Alitalia brand will be gone, loved the name and brand.

To get around convoluted EU rules and paper over that AZ has been sucking taxpayer money for decades. Nothing will change. AZ will be the same lovely airline with a poor business plan in its latest reincarnation.

xiaotung

Wed Aug 25, 2021 4:04 am

ikolkyo wrote:

The main point perhaps is to not inherit AZ's massive debt so that the new company can start fresh. The losers are obviously those creditors and employees.

Not saying that they would but this would mean if they did intend to remain in SkyTeam, they would probably need to re-apply for membership. LH got very close in the last round of negotiation with the Italian government so I can see them end up in *A down the road.

FSDan

Wed Aug 25, 2021 5:51 am

ikolkyo wrote:
So ITA is literally just scaled down Alitalia under a new name. I don’t understand the point in setting up a whole different company for this.

I believe part of the reasoning is to allow the new company to have many fewer employees (probably virtually impossible at the original company given the unions, etc.).

ojjunior

Wed Aug 25, 2021 3:16 pm

Found this livery online, not sure if it's real.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CS94Z8dsZ-0/?utm_medium=copy_link

ContinentalEWR

Wed Aug 25, 2021 3:48 pm

ojjunior wrote:
Found this livery online, not sure if it's real.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CS94Z8dsZ-0/?utm_medium=copy_link

Seems unlikely. It does seem that the Alitalia brand, but not all of its entities, will carry over to the new company for a variety of reasons. I do not see the new airline ultimately being called "ITA". It will be a slimmed down, Alitalia.

AMP44

Wed Aug 25, 2021 3:54 pm

Brief history of the S.p.A. behind Alitalia:

16 September 1946 - 12 January 2009
Linee Aeree Italiane S.p.A. (LAI)

13 January 2009 - 31 December 2014
Compagnia Aerea Italiana S.p.A. (CAI)

1 January 2015 - 14 October 2021
Società Aerea Italiana S.p.A. (SAI)

15 October 2021 onwards.
Italia Trasporto Aereo S.p.A. (ITA)

The current situation is the similar as when Alitalia-LAI was shut down and CAI took over. CAI had to bid for the assets from Alitalia-LAI, then when that was done it rebranded as Alitalia-CAI and carried on. The EU was fine with the process and Alitalia-CAI accepted being a totally new and different company than Alitalia-LAI. Now ITA has to bid for the assets of Alitalia-SAI, to then rebrand as Alitalia-ITA and act as a new company with no connection to the old one. Big difference now is how the bidding is set up and split, one example being ITA not allowed to bid for MilleMiglia.

What we will see on 15 October 2021 is similar to what happened on 12 January 2009, when AZ329 flew the last Alitalia-LAI flight, and AZ676 flew the first flight of Alitalia-CAI the 13th.

UA444

Wed Aug 25, 2021 4:00 pm

So are they buying the AZ brand? Or is this really truly the end?

AMP44

Wed Aug 25, 2021 4:25 pm

UA444 wrote:
So are they buying the AZ brand? Or is this really truly the end?

They are bidding for the Alitalia brand and several assets. ITA's management said the Alitalia brand is an essential element for the relaunch plan.

LAXintl

Wed Aug 25, 2021 4:47 pm

AZ announcement they are offering schedule changes, or refunds for all reservations after October 15.

https://www.alitalia.com/en_it/fly-alit ... tober.html

aemoreira1981

Wed Aug 25, 2021 8:11 pm

Are there any plans to separate the LIN operation from ITA?

cityshuttle

Wed Aug 25, 2021 8:34 pm

Has an ITA website been launched yet ?

Or their IATA code ?

DELTA777

Wed Aug 25, 2021 9:14 pm

cityshuttle wrote:

Or their IATA code ?

http://www.itaspa.com

FSDan

Thu Aug 26, 2021 12:42 am

aemoreira1981 wrote:
Are there any plans to separate the LIN operation from ITA?

I think upthread it was mentioned they're losing a few LIN slots, but keeping the majority. But there have been so many announcements and changes that I'm not sure if that's still accurate...

Detroit313

Thu Aug 26, 2021 3:25 am

I think ITA should join oneworld. Most of the long haul destinations they are starting with are oneworld hubs. Tokyo, JFK, Miami.

Not sure what skyteam does for them in Tokyo, MIA etc..

davidjohnson6

Thu Aug 26, 2021 3:35 am

Do Oneworld want ITA, knowing the repeated bankruptcy history of Alitalia ?

cityshuttle

Thu Aug 26, 2021 8:21 am

DELTA777 wrote:
cityshuttle wrote:

Or their IATA code ?

http://www.itaspa.com

Thanks !

Looking at the new ITA website, flights are still shown with "AZ" code. Will they keep it or get their own IATA code ?

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos