Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

SCQ83
Topic Author

Woman Says Man Groped Her On United Flight And Attendants Kept Bringing Him Whiskeys

Wed Apr 12, 2017 9:06 pm

More United...

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/uni ... 7e2046f8bd

Jennifer Rafieyan says she and her 12-year-old daughter were awaiting takeoff on a United Airlines flight from Newark, New Jersey, to Phoenix last month when they watched a flight attendant seat a visibly drunk man in the empty aisle seat next to them.

The man was intoxicated enough that the attendant had to guide him by his hips, Rafieyan recalled, and two attendants warned her about him.

“[One attendant] made some comment to me like, ‘This is going to be an interesting flight,’ and looked at him,” Rafieyan, 47, said. “And then the other flight attendant came up and said, ‘Let me know if you need anything. I mean it’― and she looked at him.”

Over the course of the next five and a half hours, Rafieyan says the 64-year-old repeatedly groped her and sexually harassed her. He rubbed her legs, grabbed her knee, kissed her hands, put his head on her shoulder and snatched her pen and notepad to add “PASIONAT NITE XX” to the to-do list she was writing, she said.

“That really grossed me out,” Rafieyan said. “My daughter was right there.”

Rafieyan, a married mother of two from Warren, New Jersey, said she was too “meek” to confront the man.

“I don’t react well. I freeze,” she said. “When a man is inappropriate with me, I usually just run from it and maybe tell somebody. But I felt trapped. I couldn’t leave the seat because I didn’t trust him near my daughter.”

wenders825

Re: Woman Says Man Groped Her On United Flight And Attendants Kept Bringing Him Whiskeys

Wed Apr 12, 2017 9:12 pm

everyone wants a piece now.

frmrCapCadet

Re: Woman Says Man Groped Her On United Flight And Attendants Kept Bringing Him Whiskeys

Wed Apr 12, 2017 9:31 pm

And United offered four $100 vouchers. Why four, not enough chance they would be molested again with one $400 voucher. So that is three people in about as many days - maybe they can do a class action lawsuit.
Buffet: the airline business...has eaten up capital...like..no other (business)

PlanesNTrains

Wed Apr 12, 2017 10:48 pm

I'm sure we're going to here a lot more stories, and I'm sure there are plenty of stories at other airlines. It's going to be a big story until a bigger one comes along.
-Dave

MAX’d out on MAX threads. If you are starting a thread, and it’s about the MAX - stop. There’s already a thread that covers it.

Eirules

Wed Apr 12, 2017 10:51 pm

I'm kinda sick of all these people crawling out of the woodwork with their anti United stories. They may all be true but they don't happen to any other airline in any other country?
The way you cut your meat reflects the way you live....

PlanesNTrains

Wed Apr 12, 2017 11:25 pm

Well, this could lead to more problems for UA, but I think it could very well numb everyone to the story and people will lose interest.
-Dave

MAX’d out on MAX threads. If you are starting a thread, and it’s about the MAX - stop. There’s already a thread that covers it.

caliboy93

Wed Apr 12, 2017 11:28 pm

There are good flight attendants on United too! I flew to ORD many years ago and some of them were giving me random fist bumps. So you can't blame a whole airline for the irresponsible actions of a few, as unfortunate as these occurrences are.

johns624

Wed Apr 12, 2017 11:34 pm

caliboy93 wrote:
There are good flight attendants on United too! I flew to ORD many years ago and some of them were giving me random fist bumps.
Huh?

BG777300ER

Wed Apr 12, 2017 11:39 pm

Wow, how many other 'stories' will come out now.

transswede

Wed Apr 12, 2017 11:41 pm

Eirules wrote:
I'm kinda sick of all these people crawling out of the woodwork with their anti United stories. They may all be true but they don't happen to any other airline in any other country?

Of course they do, but not as common. Perhaps it is time to wonder if there is some systemic problem in the United corporate culture? Over the years I've had my own unpleasant United encounters, just as maaany others have. There are of course lots of good people who work for United too (I know one), but in the last decade I have avoided them whenever I can.

TheFlyingDisk

Wed Apr 12, 2017 11:47 pm

Surprised the Untied.com website isn't getting more prominence. That website has been documenting passenger complaints on UA since when the Battleship Grey was only a few years old!
I FLY KLM+ALASKA+QATAR+MALAYSIA+AIRASIA+MALINDO

Wed Apr 12, 2017 11:49 pm

This woman waited an entire month to come out with this story? If it was that bad just maybe she would have said something before, preferably as she was getting off the plane. 15-minutes of fame over.

JannEejit

Thu Apr 13, 2017 12:14 am

727200 wrote:
This woman waited an entire month to come out with this story? If it was that bad just maybe she would have said something before, preferably as she was getting off the plane. 15-minutes of fame over.

Sexual molestation cases can sometimes take decades to be reported by their victims. For many valid and documented reasons too.

ChrisFallon77

Thu Apr 13, 2017 12:19 am

How long will it be before we see all the "air ambulance chasers" lawyers come out of the woodwork.

ltbewr

Thu Apr 13, 2017 12:29 am

ChrisFallon77 wrote:
How long will it be before we see all the "air ambulance chasers" lawyers come out of the woodwork.

I bet those vultures are already getting out ads to get clients to sue for every little issue they had with UA, and other airlines.

OSUk1d

Thu Apr 13, 2017 12:59 am

11725Flyer wrote:

This guy must have asked for free flights in exchange for good press and been denied or something. His opinion pieces start with "bash United" and fill in the details later.

Midwestindy

Thu Apr 13, 2017 1:46 am

If these types of stories continue to come out it will be interesting to see whether these allegations will cause people to lose interest, or whether they will add fuel to the fire. The interesting thing is most other airlines have situations like these happen just as much as United, but they aren't getting leaked to the press.
ORD & IND

AA & DL

sxf24

Thu Apr 13, 2017 3:10 am

Wait, you're complaining about being harassed but we're too meek to speak up? If there's a problem, it is your responsibility to tell the crew so they can address it!

Summary: I am upset at United because they didn't stand next to my seat to insure I was ok.

ikramerica

Thu Apr 13, 2017 3:10 am

"I'm too meek" to defend myself.

No sympathy. The first time he touches intentionally like that you yell at him and call the FA.

It's a public environment. You aren't in danger of escalating. And you would set a strong example for your daughter.
Of all the things to worry about... the Wookie has no pants.

ytz

Thu Apr 13, 2017 5:17 am

Eirules wrote:

I'm not. This is exactly how PR works. And this is why you jump on the grenade immediately.

Munoz threw gas on the fire with that employee email. I hope he gets "re-accomodated" to the unemployment line.

sw733

Thu Apr 13, 2017 4:06 pm

PlanesNTrains wrote:
I'm sure we're going to here a lot more stories, and I'm sure there are plenty of stories at other airlines. It's going to be a big story until a bigger one comes along.

It's not uncommon for victims to start coming out once one does - they feel more comfortable and that they'll be taken more seriously. Look at Bill Cosby and how many came out after the initial one, once they saw that people actually were taking it seriously and weren't automatically labeled as liars.

I'm sure it does happen on other airlines, but either it's not happening as much, or there isn't something major at AA, DL, WN, or whomever that made victims of those airlines feel comfortable speaking up.

TVNWZ

Thu Apr 13, 2017 4:50 pm

ikramerica wrote:

No sympathy. The first time he touches intentionally like that you yell at him and call the FA.

It's a public environment. You aren't in danger of escalating. And you would set a strong example for your daughter.

There are varying personality types. Not everybody is as macho as you.

dcaviation

Thu Apr 13, 2017 5:36 pm

ikramerica wrote:

Yes its public environment, and the doctor got shit kicked out of him.

Most of the flight attendants don't give a shit. You tell them that somebody is unruly next to you and all they will do is tell you 'tough luck'.
Or FA will tell you to be quiet, otherwise you will be arrested upon landing for disobeying flight crew.

Obviously that drunk passenger was GS or 1K. FA would be on his side. That's the sad truth.

hoya

Thu Apr 13, 2017 5:37 pm

So given everything that has happened, and all the arguments for the doctor, did UA have the right to kick this drunk guy off the flight? What were they to do? He wasn't a threat to the safety of the aircraft. He was in his seat, he boarded. So, now that UA pledged not to have LEOs come on aircraft and forcibly remove passengers, what's the recourse? At the moment he sat down, he wasn't belligerent or committing any crimes (sexual harassment came later, during the flight). In the future, if the same situation happens, what should an airline do?
Hoya Saxa!!

ltbewr

Thu Apr 13, 2017 5:58 pm

What should have happened is the woman should have firmly asked for either the drunk be moved or they be moved and if necessary to stand in the aisle until something was done. Sadly due to the pricing of seats, more packed flights, few wanting to move from preferred seats and fear of getting arrested or put on a no-fly list few will want to go far enough. Sorry, but if someone was acting improperly with my child, friend or spouse, I would take the firmest actions I could short of ending up being arrested.
This of course brings up the serious issue of passengers being under influence of drugs or alcohol and safety if an emergency. An intoxicated passenger, by that a level that would make it illegal to drive in most countries, could put themselves and others at risk if an emergency, especially on take off and landing and being able to escape safely from the aircraft.

alexinwa

Thu Apr 13, 2017 6:19 pm

I'm pretty sure I was abducted by a NOT-OF-THIS-WORLD space craft on my last flight to Indy. Or was it the Jack?
You mad Bro???

frmrCapCadet

Thu Apr 13, 2017 6:28 pm

The second time a drunk, or anyone else, sexually assaults someone should be time for a flight emergency to be declared. But police can be radioed, flight officer can declare that person is arrested and police will be meeting the plane. Obviously if you are mid ocean and no marshals aboard asking several husky guys is about all you can do.
Buffet: the airline business...has eaten up capital...like..no other (business)

Thu Apr 13, 2017 7:13 pm

hoya wrote:
So given everything that has happened, and all the arguments for the doctor, did UA have the right to kick this drunk guy off the flight? What were they to do? He wasn't a threat to the safety of the aircraft. He was in his seat, he boarded. So, now that UA pledged not to have LEOs come on aircraft and forcibly remove passengers, what's the recourse? At the moment he sat down, he wasn't belligerent or committing any crimes (sexual harassment came later, during the flight). In the future, if the same situation happens, what should an airline do?

Just post it on social media and let the clowns who don't work, have nothing to do but troll, and sure don't have any responsibility decide since they are the ones who are making such a mess on social media. I hope some drunk, pervert, sexual deviant sits next to them and then they will want something done.

PlanesNTrains

Thu Apr 13, 2017 8:03 pm

dcaviation wrote:
ikramerica wrote:

Yes its public environment, and the doctor got shit kicked out of him.

Most of the flight attendants don't give a shit. You tell them that somebody is unruly next to you and all they will do is tell you 'tough luck'.
Or FA will tell you to be quiet, otherwise you will be arrested upon landing for disobeying flight crew.

Obviously that drunk passenger was GS or 1K. FA would be on his side. That's the sad truth.

Two separate flight attendants told her to call them if there were problems.

hoya wrote:

I drunk guy that has to be physically led to a seat should never be put on a plane.
-Dave

ASFlyer

Thu Apr 13, 2017 8:05 pm

I want some money too. I'm gonna have to come up with a good story of my own.

gregn21

Thu Apr 13, 2017 11:31 pm

This is such a joke. Just shows how corrupt and horrible the media is. They are willing to destroy the fate of an entire company for more views.

scbriml

Thu Apr 13, 2017 11:40 pm

gregn21 wrote:
This is such a joke. Just shows how corrupt and horrible the media is. They are willing to destroy the fate of an entire company for more views.

United are doing a pretty damn good job of that all on their own!
Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana!
There are 10 types of people in the World - those that understand binary and those that don't.

IPFreely

Thu Apr 13, 2017 11:55 pm

dcaviation wrote:

Very doubtful that a GS or 1K, especially a GS, would be sitting in coach.

PlanesNTrains wrote:

They did?

Midwestindy

Fri Apr 14, 2017 12:06 am

hoya wrote:

Oh boy! I can't wait for the moment where United actually actually has to get LEOs to take a belligerent passenger off the plane, Munoz is going to eat his words soon or later.
ORD & IND

AA & DL

Midwestindy

Fri Apr 14, 2017 12:08 am

gregn21 wrote:

The media wouldn't have anything to report on if United did the right thing. That's the media's job, they report on current events, they would be doing a disservice if they didn't report on it.
ORD & IND

AA & DL

PlanesNTrains

Fri Apr 14, 2017 1:09 am

IPFreely wrote:
dcaviation wrote:

Very doubtful that a GS or 1K, especially a GS, would be sitting in coach.

PlanesNTrains wrote:

They did?

The man was intoxicated enough that the attendant had to guide him by his hips, Rafieyan recalled, and two attendants warned her about him.

“[One attendant] made some comment to me like, ‘This is going to be an interesting flight,’ and looked at him,” Rafieyan, 47, said. “And then the other flight attendant came up and said, ‘Let me know if you need anything. I mean it’― and she looked at him.”

You got me. One said "Call me if...", the other showed "concern". :-)
-Dave

IPFreely

Fri Apr 14, 2017 1:31 am

PlanesNTrains wrote:

Sorry but I'm not taking her word for that when she was quoted by the Huffington Post, attributing a quote to a flight attendant about an incident she suddenly remembered that happened weeks ago. Pretty low credibility.

PlanesNTrains

Fri Apr 14, 2017 4:21 am

IPFreely wrote:
PlanesNTrains wrote:

Sorry but I'm not taking her word for that when she was quoted by the Huffington Post, attributing a quote to a flight attendant about an incident she suddenly remembered that happened weeks ago. Pretty low credibility.

Well, that's your choice. I'm sure if there's proof, it'll come out. There were obviously other passengers around, a record of who was next to her, her daughter's statements, interviews with the F/As, receipts from his debit/credit card showing alcohol purchases, receipts from the drinks he ordered on the flight, etc. I don't care one way or the other, though. I'm just sharing what was stated in the article in answer to your query.
-Dave

IPFreely

Fri Apr 14, 2017 5:02 am

PlanesNTrains wrote:
Well, that's your choice. I'm sure if there's proof, it'll come out. There were obviously other passengers around, a record of who was next to her, her daughter's statements, interviews with the F/As, receipts from his debit/credit card showing alcohol purchases, receipts from the drinks he ordered on the flight, etc. I don't care one way or the other, though. I'm just sharing what was stated in the article in answer to your query.

Normally when there are crimes or potential crimes on board, police are notified and meet the plane at the gate on arrival. In extreme cases the plane might divert so the passenger can be removed and dealt with by police sooner. In this case the woman said the FA threatened to have the plane diverted because of his behavior. If his behavior was bad enough to warrant such a threat -- not something done lightly -- it was surely bad enough to have the police meet the plane on arrival in Phoenix. To at least take statements and document the incident in a report, if not to make an arrest. But no such thing happened. The more one looks at the details, the less believable this story becomes.

PlanesNTrains

Fri Apr 14, 2017 5:38 am

IPFreely wrote:
PlanesNTrains wrote:

Normally when there are crimes or potential crimes on board, police are notified and meet the plane at the gate on arrival. In extreme cases the plane might divert so the passenger can be removed and dealt with by police sooner. In this case the woman said the FA threatened to have the plane diverted because of his behavior. If his behavior was bad enough to warrant such a threat -- not something done lightly -- it was surely bad enough to have the police meet the plane on arrival in Phoenix. To at least take statements and document the incident in a report, if not to make an arrest. But no such thing happened. The more one looks at the details, the less believable this story becomes.

Well, again, it's up to you if you believe it. As she said, she's non-confrontational and just sort of froze up on the whole thing. Not everyone knows how to deal with crap - if they did, we wouldn't have people coming out of the woodwork later. That doesn't mean it's legit - but just because she didn't follow a script on how to deal with uncomfortable situations doesn't mean it didn't happen.
-Dave

zippy

Fri Apr 14, 2017 6:42 am

IPFreely wrote:

Or, when someone who has been sexually assaulted comes forward they get responses like this. You get the doubters, the whatabouters, and so-on. Perhaps this woman, rather than have to defend herself against the drunkard, his lawyers, United's lawyers, and folks like you, perhaps she decided that she'd prefer it all go away. Or perhaps she didn't want to scare her child in the heat of the moment. Plenty of reasons to not come forward until later.

b747400erf

Fri Apr 14, 2017 7:20 am

ikramerica wrote:

Great to see the usual players come in to victim blame and cheerlead for their favorite airline. Nothing ever changes.

vrbarreto

Fri Apr 14, 2017 7:28 am

ASFlyer wrote:

Claim the pilot asked if you had ever seen a grown man naked or been to a Turkish prison.

peterinlisbon

Fri Apr 14, 2017 8:17 am

vrbarreto wrote:
ASFlyer wrote:

Claim the pilot asked if you had ever seen a grown man naked or been to a Turkish prison.

They will just say that you asked for it because you said you wanted to go into the cockpit.

b747400erf

Fri Apr 14, 2017 8:26 am

peterinlisbon wrote:
vrbarreto wrote:
ASFlyer wrote:

They will just say that you asked for it because you said you wanted to go into the cockpit.

accusations of sexual assault are hilarious. Maybe your spouse/signifiant other/friend/family gets to experience sexual assault in the future and then you might change your attitudes.

vrbarreto

Fri Apr 14, 2017 8:35 am

b747400erf wrote:
peterinlisbon wrote:
vrbarreto wrote:

accusations of sexual assault are hilarious. Maybe your spouse/signifiant other/friend/family gets to experience sexual assault in the future and then you might change your attitudes.

Stop being a snowflake

rbavfan

Fri Apr 14, 2017 9:20 am

IPFreely wrote:
PlanesNTrains wrote:

Really have you ever been molested. Do you know what goes through your mind, including blacking it all out for years before it all comes back.

rbavfan

Fri Apr 14, 2017 9:22 am

vrbarreto wrote:
ASFlyer wrote:

Sorry old lines out of the movie Airplane are very dated.

CanadaFair

Fri Apr 14, 2017 9:35 am

vrbarreto wrote:
b747400erf wrote:
peterinlisbon wrote:

Stop being a snowflake

No he's right, only if someone from your family experiences such things will it matter to you or any one calling the Dr. and this woman a loon and all kinds of things in the other thread, put your family in that position before posting, unless ofcourse you dont care for them either.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos