Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

LAXintl
Topic Author

AA adjust MIA hub operations

Fri Apr 14, 2017 3:45 pm

Per employee newsletter, in order to position the Miami hub for improved customer convenience and operational reliability, AA has rolled out number of changes with the April 4th schedule.

o Increased bank structure from 9 to 10 to help alleviate gate compression and congestion.
o Spread mix of regional flying across more banks.
o Utilize E-satellite gates all day long, as opposed to primarily only evenings prior. Primarily northeast markets and OW partners will utilize E-gates.
o Terminal area split into 4 operational sectors to maximize staff and resources. Concentrate equipment types and certain destinations into specific sectors.
o With new gating strategy minimize number of maintenance tows which negatively impacted reliability while maximizing turnaround flights.
o Landside increase signage to emphasis for customers there are multiple drop-off and security points to help access their flights faster.

For background on this, during 2014-2015 AA rebanked several hubs including MIA, but saw particular decline in ontime performance and need for additional staffing to make MIA work. These newly implemented changes are are meant to alleviate some of these operational struggles.

FlightGlobal had a story on this also.
American makes further changes to its Miami hub
http://dashboard.flightglobal.com/app/#/articles/436242

=
From the desert to the sea, to all of Southern California

FSDan

Re: AA adjust MIA hub operations

Fri Apr 14, 2017 3:54 pm

LAXintl wrote:
o Terminal area split into 4 operational sectors to maximize staff and resources. Concentrate equipment types and certain destinations into specific sectors.

I'm interested in what this will look like. It seems like 50+% of flying from MIA is on 738s, but perhaps they'll split them into domestic and international sectors? Then concentrate the dwindling 757 ops into one sector and the growing airbus ops into another (or possibly the same) sector with one more sector for widebody ops?

A few questions:
o How many of AA's gates at MIA have access to FIS facilities? Do they all?
o My impression (from Google Maps since I've never actually flown through MIA) is that widebody capable gates are spread out throughout AA's facilities. Is that correct, or is there an area where they'll be able to concentrate most/all 767 and 777 flights?
This is my signature until I think of a better one.

LAXintl
Topic Author

Fri Apr 14, 2017 4:06 pm

Well the 4 terminal sectors are:

East D - predominately narrowbody turnarounds
Central D - widebody & Flagship
West D - predominately narrowbody turnarounds
E - primarily for Northeast routes + OW partners
From the desert to the sea, to all of Southern California

ahj2000

Fri Apr 14, 2017 4:39 pm

So the E satellite will be used but what about the e gates attached to the terminal?
-Andrés Juánez

B752OS

Fri Apr 14, 2017 6:11 pm

LAXintl wrote:

Why put the Northeast routes together? I am going to assume that refers to BOS/JFK/EWR/LGA/PHL?

How much traffic does MIA see that is connecting? I am going to guess not are much as say CLT or ATL.

Do people connect through MIA on an international-international connection? Example: LHR-MIA-SAL, or SCL-MIA-LHR?

OB1504

Fri Apr 14, 2017 6:28 pm

The operational adjustments are a definite improvement and have certainly made my job easier. AA is also now able to keep two gates open as spares to prevent inbound flights from holding for long periods of time if their gates are still occupied.

LAXintl wrote:
o Landside increase signage to emphasis for customers there are multiple drop-off and security points to help access their flights faster.

I think right now the signs divide the terminal into D1-D17, D19-D34, and D36-D51.

The divisions are a little odd (D17 and D19 are directly adjacent, and D34 and D36 are down the same hall); I'd personally direct passengers to Checkpoint 1 for D1-D23, Checkpoint 3 for D24-D29 & D41-D51 (via skytrain), and Checkpoint 4 (when open) for D30-D40.

FSDan wrote:
I'm interested in what this will look like. It seems like 50+% of flying from MIA is on 738s, but perhaps they'll split them into domestic and international sectors? Then concentrate the dwindling 757 ops into one sector and the growing airbus ops into another (or possibly the same) sector with one more sector for widebody ops?

A few questions:
o My impression (from Google Maps since I've never actually flown through MIA) is that widebody capable gates are spread out throughout AA's facilities. Is that correct, or is there an area where they'll be able to concentrate most/all 767 and 777 flights?

All of AA's gates at MIA can handle international arrivals. The majority of the widebody gates are concentrated toward the center of the terminal. There are also some dual gates on the east side where three narrowbody gates can be used as two widebody gates, but gating widebodies there is rare because you lose a gate by doing so.

IIRC, the widebody gates are:

• D1A (closes D2)
  • D2 (767 max)
  • D3
  • D4A (closes D6)
  • D5A (closes D7)
  • D8A (closes D6)
  • D9A (closes D7)
  • D11 (767 max)
  • D14
  • D16 (767 max)
  • D21
  • D22 (767 max)
  • D23
  • D25 (777-200 max)
  • D27
  • D28 (767 max) / D28A (closes D29)
  • D30 (767 max) / D30A (closes D29)
  • D37 (777-200 max)
  • D40 (767 max)
  • D44 (767 max)
  • D50 (767 max)
  • E11
  • E21
  • E23
  • E24
  • E25
  • E31

In practice, D1, D4, D8, and E11 don't see use by widebody aircraft, but the rest do.

Widebodies (not counting the LUS A330s) only started being used at high E last week so I'm not sure what the largest aircraft type for the gates there are.

ahj2000 wrote:
So the E satellite will be used but what about the e gates attached to the terminal?

They're still being used, although E8 is used by BA in the afternoon for their 747 and E6A (closes E8) is used in the evening for their A380. E10 is used by airberlin in the afternoon, by Qatar in the early evening, and by Finnair in the late evening.

Iberia also uses E23 for their two flights.

B752OS wrote:
How much traffic does MIA see that is connecting? I am going to guess not are much as say CLT or ATL.

Do people connect through MIA on an international-international connection? Example: LHR-MIA-SAL, or SCL-MIA-LHR?

MIA has more O&D traffic than ATL or CLT but there's still plenty of ITI traffic.

FSDan

Fri Apr 14, 2017 7:23 pm

Thanks for the great info, OB1504!
This is my signature until I think of a better one.

miaskies

Fri Apr 14, 2017 8:57 pm

Any update on regional flying? what changes we have coming our way for Eagle flying?
Crosscheck Complete :)

jeffh747

Fri Apr 14, 2017 9:21 pm

LAXintl wrote:

That makes sense. I've noticed that the operations have been divided into those sectors for a while now. I guess this just makes it official.

On a side note, when are we gonna start seeing the LUS A319/320/321 in the D gates? As of right now they exclusively go to the former US Airways gates and it seems weird they're kinda just confined to that specific area.
ATR-72-600, A318 A319 A320 A320neo A321 A321neo A332 A333 B717 B727 B734 B73G B738 B739 B752 B762 B763 B772 B788 CRJ2 DHC6 DHC8-300 E145 E190 MD82 MD83 MD90 SF340B

spinkid

Fri Apr 14, 2017 10:52 pm

B752OS wrote:
LAXintl wrote:

Why put the Northeast routes together? I am going to assume that refers to BOS/JFK/EWR/LGA/PHL?

I assume the Northeast routes are put together because they see more O&D than most destinations and have less connecting passengers who would have to make the longer walk to connecting gates. Also if you need to reaccomodate people, some will fly to LGA or EWR instead of JFK if given the option.

chepos

Fri Apr 14, 2017 11:37 pm

LUS has been using low D gates for a while.now, I have flown in from CLT and PHX and arrived into D. LUS is no longer confined to E.
Fly the Flag!!!!

Varsity1

Sat Apr 15, 2017 2:37 am

miaskies wrote:
Any update on regional flying? what changes we have coming our way for Eagle flying?

I hope YX is pulled back for an MQ resurgence.

grbauc

Sat Apr 15, 2017 3:06 am

Ive flown through MIA a lot last year and It needs help. During rush hour its seems stressed during IRROPS it falls down hard and I've experienced some of my worst airlines experiences last year in MIA.

grbauc

Sat Apr 15, 2017 3:10 am

OB1504 wrote:
The operational adjustments are a definite improvement and have certainly made my job easier. AA is also now able to keep two gates open as spares to prevent inbound flights from holding for long periods of time if their gates are still occupied.

LAXintl wrote:

I think right now the signs divide the terminal into D1-D17, D19-D34, and D36-D51.

The divisions are a little odd (D17 and D19 are directly adjacent, and D34 and D36 are down the same hall); I'd personally direct passengers to Checkpoint 1 for D1-D23, Checkpoint 3 for D24-D29 & D41-D51 (via skytrain), and Checkpoint 4 (when open) for D30-D40.

FSDan wrote:

A few questions:

All of AA's gates at MIA can handle international arrivals. The majority of the widebody gates are concentrated toward the center of the terminal. There are also some dual gates on the east side where three narrowbody gates can be used as two widebody gates, but gating widebodies there is rare because you lose a gate by doing so.

• D1A (closes D2)
  • D2 (767 max)
  • D3
  • D4A (closes D6)
  • D5A (closes D7)
  • D8A (closes D6)
  • D9A (closes D7)
  • D11 (767 max)
  • D14
  • D16 (767 max)
  • D21
  • D22 (767 max)
  • D23
  • D25 (777-200 max)
  • D27
  • D37 (777-200 max)
  • D40 (767 max)
  • D44 (767 max)
  • D50 (767 max)
  • E11
  • E21
  • E23
  • E24
  • E25
  • E31

In practice, D1, D4, D8, and E11 don't see use by widebody aircraft, but the rest do.

Widebodies (not counting the LUS A330s) only started being used at high E last week so I'm not sure what the largest aircraft type for the gates there are.

ahj2000 wrote:

They're still being used, although E8 is used by BA in the afternoon for their 747 and E6A (closes E8) is used in the evening for their A380. E10 is used by airberlin in the afternoon, by Qatar in the early evening, and by Finnair in the late evening.

B752OS wrote:

MIA has more O&D traffic than ATL or CLT but there's still plenty of ITI traffic.

:bigthumbsup: :bigthumbsup: :bigthumbsup: Good new for sure.. I really Like MIA hub.

OB1504

Sat Apr 15, 2017 11:56 am

miaskies wrote:

Eagle gained two gates: E20 and E22. They're quite a distance from the rest of the Eagle gates, but at least they doubled their jet bridge gates from 2 to 4.

chepos wrote:
LUS has been using low D gates for a while.now, I have flown in from CLT and PHX and arrived into D. LUS is no longer confined to E.

The LUS flights were fully integrated right around the new year. The only LUS flights AA keeps on a specific set of gates are the A330s, which almost always use high E.

grbauc wrote:
Ive flown through MIA a lot last year and It needs help. During rush hour its seems stressed during IRROPS it falls down hard and I've experienced some of my worst airlines experiences last year in MIA.

The true trial by fire will come in the summer once we start getting those afternoon thunderstorms.

mercure1

Sun Apr 16, 2017 3:41 pm

Has Miami done anything to improve the immigration experience?

Seems last couple years has been a bottleneck with many transit passengers taking very long time for clearance.
mercure f-wtcc

Chele737

Sun Apr 16, 2017 4:28 pm

OB1504 wrote:

LAXintl wrote:

FSDan wrote:

A few questions:

• D1A (closes D2)
  • D2 (767 max)
  • D3
  • D4A (closes D6)
  • D5A (closes D7)
  • D8A (closes D6)
  • D9A (closes D7)
  • D11 (767 max)
  • D14
  • D16 (767 max)
  • D21
  • D22 (767 max)
  • D23
  • D25 (777-200 max)
  • D27
  • D37 (777-200 max)
  • D40 (767 max)
  • D44 (767 max)
  • D50 (767 max)
  • E11
  • E21
  • E23
  • E24
  • E25
  • E31

ahj2000 wrote:

B752OS wrote:

On a side note my sister took pm flight MIA to SAP AA1452/14APR, last FRI and she left out from a satellite E gate, E21 to be specific. Remembered my childhood years back in early 90s when I was with my finger cross waiting if my TX/SH (TAN Airlines then SAHSA) flight departs from any of the gates E20-35. The satellite was the newest thing around and very excited took the TRAM train

N62NA

Sun Apr 16, 2017 7:26 pm

Last month I was on an AA 772 from DFW and we came in at one of the high E gates.

nomorerjs

Mon Apr 17, 2017 1:59 am

While I love South Florida, I avoid MIA like the plague. Even with Global Entry, I've missed connections due to congestion. MIA CBP makes DFW look competent, and that's not saying much.

grbauc

Mon Apr 17, 2017 3:49 am

mercure1 wrote:
Has Miami done anything to improve the immigration experience?

Seems last couple years has been a bottleneck with many transit passengers taking very long time for clearance.

I had a lot of good luck I was using the Mobil entry and flying through faster then the Global entry guys. I took about 7 or more International trip through MIA last year.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos