Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

LAXintl
Topic Author

Compass Airlines relocating all pilots, other jobs to LAX & SEA

Fri Apr 14, 2017 4:33 pm

Compass Airlines, headquartered at Minneapolis-St. Paul International Airport, notified employees it was moving all of its pilots, flight attendants and mechanics from the Twin Cities to the company’s other stations on the West Coast.

A company spokesperson says Compass Airlines will remain headquartered in Minneapolis, but with most of the company's flights taking place on the West Coast, there was no need to maintain the city as its primary crew base.

Delta contractor Compass Airlines relocating pilots, other jobs
http://www.bizjournals.com/losangeles/n ... -jobs.html

=

With virtually entire airline focused on AA and DL flying on the West Coast these days shift makes sense
From the desert to the sea, to all of Southern California

SeaDoo

Re: Compass Airlines relocating all pilots, other jobs to LAX & SEA

Fri Apr 14, 2017 7:15 pm

I am assuming this will be upsetting to a lot of employees and for them, I feel sorry for their lives being uprooted.

DiamondFlyer

Fri Apr 14, 2017 7:23 pm

This is, ultimately, the beginning of the end for Compass
From my cold, dead hands

doug_or

Fri Apr 14, 2017 7:25 pm

Is this a result of DLC 175 flying being reduced in MSP, or the flying shifting to another carrier?
When in doubt, one B pump off

QANTAS747-438

Fri Apr 14, 2017 7:28 pm

I think many pilots will love this. There are such a tremendous amount of pilots who live in SMF, PHX, LAS, RNO, and TUS.
My posts/replies are strictly my opinion and not that of any company, organization, or Southwest Airlines.

drdisque

Fri Apr 14, 2017 7:34 pm

It's not a reduction of flying for DLC, DLC is just using them out west because OO isn't operating any E-Jets for them and they need a carrier to operate E-Jets on the west cost for them. There is little need for E-Jet flying in and out of MSP and any other east coast flying can be covered by Republic.

I imagine Compass was already either deadheading a lot of crew from MSP out to SEA and LAX already or had already shifted the majority of the MSP crew base westward and this is just the final closure of it.

This probably mostly affect maintenance, although some of the mx staff in MSP can likely find jobs at DL, SY, 9E, and OO and stay put.

lavalampluva

Fri Apr 14, 2017 8:44 pm

Surprised this didn't happen sooner, considering that CP also supplies flights out of LAX for AA.
Remind me to send a thank you note to Mr. Boeing.

miaskies

Fri Apr 14, 2017 8:55 pm

YX is taking 6 CP E170's for DL flying, (2) are already flying for April, (2) coming in May, and (2) more in June. Perhaps this will cover some of the MSP E-Jet flying.
Crosscheck Complete :)

Boeing778X

Fri Apr 14, 2017 9:20 pm

lavalampluva wrote:
Surprised this didn't happen sooner, considering that CP also supplies flights out of LAX for AA.

I'm not sure if this means they'll maintain their contract with AA.
United Airlines: $#!ttin' On Everyone Since 1931

DiamondFlyer

Fri Apr 14, 2017 9:53 pm

Remember, MSP is supposed to be down as much as 9% this year as Delta reduces flying in MSP.
From my cold, dead hands

DiamondFlyer

Fri Apr 14, 2017 9:53 pm

QANTAS747-438 wrote:
I think many pilots will love this. There are such a tremendous amount of pilots who live in SMF, PHX, LAS, RNO, and TUS.

Not at CPZ. The top portion of the pilot group, is mostly from the Midwest, from when they had both an MSP and DTW base. All this does is help to drive the experience out of CPZ.
From my cold, dead hands

DiamondFlyer

Fri Apr 14, 2017 9:55 pm

drdisque wrote:
It's not a reduction of flying for DLC, DLC is just using them out west because OO isn't operating any E-Jets for them and they need a carrier to operate E-Jets on the west cost for them. There is little need for E-Jet flying in and out of MSP and any other east coast flying can be covered by Republic.

I imagine Compass was already either deadheading a lot of crew from MSP out to SEA and LAX already or had already shifted the majority of the MSP crew base westward and this is just the final closure of it.

This probably mostly affect maintenance, although some of the mx staff in MSP can likely find jobs at DL, SY, 9E, and OO and stay put.

Skywest will operate 19 175's for Delta by the end of the year, they have all but 6 on property, all on the west coast, so no idea what you're talking about there. In terms of largest DCI carrier (in terms of airplanes), that isn't even Skywest at this point, based on the quarterly reports filed this week, but rather Endeavor.
From my cold, dead hands

SurfandSnow

Fri Apr 14, 2017 10:23 pm

Now that DL will have more terminal space at LAX, I suspect we could see quite a bit more E-175 service! Markets like COS, DSM, ELP, HDN, MEX, MKE, MRY, MSN, OKC, RNO, STL, TUL and/or YYC might just be perfect missions for the type.
Flying in the middle seat of coach is much better than not flying at all!

DiamondFlyer

Fri Apr 14, 2017 10:24 pm

SurfandSnow wrote:
Now that DL will have more terminal space at LAX, I suspect we could see quite a bit more E-175 service! Markets like COS, DSM, ELP, HDN, MEX, MKE, MRY, MSN, OKC, RNO, STL, TUL and/or YYC might just be perfect missions for the type.

How? Sure, there's a slight reduction in MSP flying, but nowhere near enough frames to support that kind of expansion.
From my cold, dead hands

doug_or

Fri Apr 14, 2017 10:28 pm

Quick fact check here:

CZ already had bases in SEA and LAX. They will grow, but are not new.

OO already flies 175s for DL out of SEA and LAX.

MSP has been the most senior base at CZ for quite some time.
When in doubt, one B pump off

PlanesNTrains

Fri Apr 14, 2017 10:32 pm

lavalampluva wrote:

Yep. Flying them on Monday SEA-LAX. Looking forward to it.
-Dave

MAX’d out on MAX threads. If you are starting a thread, and it’s about the MAX - stop. There’s already a thread that covers it.

drdisque

Fri Apr 14, 2017 10:42 pm

DiamondFlyer wrote:
drdisque wrote:

Skywest will operate 19 175's for Delta by the end of the year, they have all but 6 on property, all on the west coast, so no idea what you're talking about there. In terms of largest DCI carrier (in terms of airplanes), that isn't even Skywest at this point, based on the quarterly reports filed this week, but rather Endeavor.

Sorry, missed that. 19 frames is still a fairly small operation. In future schedules will there be no E-jet flying out of MSP or will it all transition to Republic?

PSU.DTW.SCE

Fri Apr 14, 2017 11:18 pm

Compass still operates a handful of flights out of DTW, flown by MSP-based crews.
I know that DTW- DFW, SAT, and SDF still does and/or recently has seen Compass operated flights in 2017.

intotheair

Fri Apr 14, 2017 11:56 pm

SurfandSnow wrote:

I would find many of those to be unlikely. DEN on DL is still all E175 as it is, so I would think DL would want DEN to mature into mainline before trying places like COS. Gate space and capacity at LAX is not easy to come by, and along with lots of competition all around, I don't think DL would want to jump into a lot of those small midwest markets before growing more medium or large western cities. DL seems happy serving MEX all on AM metal with the JV; if they felt the need to put their own metal into MEX, they could easily do it with mainline. I don't see YYC happening either with the somewhat strained Canadian economy, DL's overall weak presence in Canada, and with their WS codeshare taken into consideration.

Besides, let's take a look at what this announcement is — merely a shuffling of CP's crew. This doesn't mean DL is getting more RJs, and the terminal move will just mean that the RJ operations currently using T6 won't have to be bussed from the far side of Sepulveda anymore.
300 319 320 321 332 333 345 346 380 717 733 734 735 73G 738 739 744 752 753 762 763 772 77W 788 789 CR2 CR7 CR9 CRK Q400 E175 DC10 MD82 MD90
AA AF AS AY AZ B6 BA BR DL F9 FI GA HA KF LH MI QX SK SN SQ UA US VY WN

n7371f

Sat Apr 15, 2017 2:51 am

Hopefully this will be the final act that improves Compass reliability on the west. It sucks. And Delta is aware. Have some fun and do a daily check in the afternoon and see how many Compass flights are running behind. Delta basically told Compass fix your west coast ops or else. This is the response.

grbauc

Sat Apr 15, 2017 3:01 am

SurfandSnow wrote:

When in 2020?

grbauc

Sat Apr 15, 2017 3:03 am

n7371f wrote:
Hopefully this will be the final act that improves Compass reliability on the west. It sucks. And Delta is aware. Have some fun and do a daily check in the afternoon and see how many Compass flights are running behind. Delta basically told Compass fix your west coast ops or else. This is the response.

You might be right and is seems plausible is there proof of this? I agree from flying DL and experiencing Compass was wondering where you got your info from though?

fdx320loader

Sat Apr 15, 2017 3:05 am

n7371f wrote:

I'd invite you to take a look at DL mainlane performance or SKW performance and realize that the root issue is the Delta LAX operation. I've ridden on CP Eagle flights out of LA, and I don't recall being delayed more than once or twice for late inbound aircraft from SFO. Bussing people to and from the remote east gates near the Eagle's nest for SKW or CP flights is not conducive to an on time operation. In addition, as we all know the alleyway design at LAX does not allow for a timely arrival of inbound aircraft if there is any sort of delay on any of the aircraft in that alley.

I think we all look forward to the day that the DL operation had moved to the north side of the airport.

dc10lover

Sat Apr 15, 2017 3:06 am

DiamondFlyer wrote:
Remember, MSP is supposed to be down as much as 9% this year as Delta reduces flying in MSP.

Keep me up to speed. Why is that. Thanks in advance.
Why endure the nightmare and congestion of LAX when BUR, LGB, ONT & SNA is so much easier to fly in and out of. Same with OAK & SJC when it comes to SFO.

MeanGreen

Sat Apr 15, 2017 3:36 am

9%? I thought it was less than that? Could you elaborate please? Is CPZ keeping the dispatchers at MSP?

intotheair

Sat Apr 15, 2017 4:24 am

fdx320loader wrote:
n7371f wrote:

I'd invite you to take a look at DL mainlane performance or SKW performance and realize that the root issue is the Delta LAX operation. I've ridden on CP Eagle flights out of LA, and I don't recall being delayed more than once or twice for late inbound aircraft from SFO. Bussing people to and from the remote east gates near the Eagle's nest for SKW or CP flights is not conducive to an on time operation. In addition, as we all know the alleyway design at LAX does not allow for a timely arrival of inbound aircraft if there is any sort of delay on any of the aircraft in that alley.

I think we all look forward to the day that the DL operation had moved to the north side of the airport.

I believe it. I know this is merely anecdotal, but I fly LAX-DEN and back about once a month. It started out 5x mostly on OO CRJ-900s, and I don't remember very many delays on the OO flights. The frequencies gradually shifted to all CP E175s, and it seemed like many of my flights this fall and winter were delayed by anywhere from half an hour to four hours one time recently when they shifted the operation to T6. As of about two weeks ago, DL switched LAX-DEN back to all OO on E175s, and looking periodically, there seem to be fewer delays.

I haven't looked too much at the reliability of AA's 5x LAX-DEN also on CP E175s, but it's interesting that AA also switched this month to 4x mainline on A319s. It could be coincidental, and it could just be that LAX sucks anyway, but I would believe it if DL told CP to get their act in order or else...
300 319 320 321 332 333 345 346 380 717 733 734 735 73G 738 739 744 752 753 762 763 772 77W 788 789 CR2 CR7 CR9 CRK Q400 E175 DC10 MD82 MD90

MSPNWA

Sat Apr 15, 2017 4:40 am

Sad news for the employees at MSP. This is home for so many of them, and this is a big blow for the senior ranks at MSP. I would expect a lot of turnover. Maybe that was part of the point--to purge the veterans.

spudsmac

Sat Apr 15, 2017 5:01 am

n7371f wrote:

A lot of it is DL. They seem to prioritize resources for mainline flights so CPZ flights have longer wait times for gates and flow than mainline. Don't believe me? Wait till a day with long EDCT times to SFO and see who has longer waits, DL or CPZ/OO. There are some preventable maintenance issues though.

B747forever

Sat Apr 15, 2017 5:39 am

DiamondFlyer wrote:

I dont understand this comment. How is it the beginning of the end?
Work Hard, Fly Right

fdx320loader

Sat Apr 15, 2017 10:31 am

intotheair wrote:
fdx320loader wrote:
n7371f wrote:

I believe it. I know this is merely anecdotal, but I fly LAX-DEN and back about once a month. It started out 5x mostly on OO CRJ-900s, and I don't remember very many delays on the OO flights. The frequencies gradually shifted to all CP E175s, and it seemed like many of my flights this fall and winter were delayed by anywhere from half an hour to four hours one time recently when they shifted the operation to T6. As of about two weeks ago, DL switched LAX-DEN back to all OO on E175s, and looking periodically, there seem to be fewer delays.

I haven't looked too much at the reliability of AA's 5x LAX-DEN also on CP E175s, but it's interesting that AA also switched this month to 4x mainline on A319s. It could be coincidental, and it could just be that LAX sucks anyway, but I would believe it if DL told CP to get their act in order or else...

I believe the change from CP to AA mainline on LAX-DEN is due to the significant weight restrictions the 175 takes out of Denver in the spring through fall due to single engine climb performance. This will be a welcome change to both passengers and crew members trying to commute to LA from Denver.

intotheair

Sat Apr 15, 2017 10:40 am

fdx320loader wrote:

I believe the change from CP to AA mainline on LAX-DEN is due to the significant weight restrictions the 175 takes out of Denver in the spring through fall due to single engine climb performance. This will be a welcome change to both passengers and crew members trying to commute to LA from Denver.

Interesting. I suppose that could be true — I'm not really sure why they switched. But DL is flying 5x E175 on LAX-DEN now and throughout the summer, just on OO instead of CP.

My initial guess for why AA upgauged to mainline was to make better use of gate space, but it is interesting that both DL and AA dropped CP on this route in the same month. Could just be a coincidence, though, of course. I haven't flown AA on this in a very long time, so I'm not that familiar with their operations, though I was thinking of booking it for my next trip just to fly AA mainline for the first time ever.

DiamondFlyer

Sat Apr 15, 2017 12:18 pm

B747forever wrote:
DiamondFlyer wrote:

Compass flies for Delta and American, the two carriers which have owned regionals carriers, that they've begun to bring their flying in house to.
From my cold, dead hands

DiamondFlyer

Sat Apr 15, 2017 12:19 pm

dc10lover wrote:
DiamondFlyer wrote:

Keep me up to speed. Why is that. Thanks in advance.

It may not be 9%, but I've heard numbers from 2-9% for how much Delta is going to shrink MSP this year, with a large majority of that cut coming on the RJ side. So it could just me a 9% cut in RJ flying at MSP.
From my cold, dead hands

fdx320loader

Sat Apr 15, 2017 12:36 pm

intotheair wrote:
fdx320loader wrote:

Interesting. I suppose that could be true — I'm not really sure why they switched. But DL is flying 5x E175 on LAX-DEN now and throughout the summer, just on OO instead of CP.

My initial guess for why AA upgauged to mainline was to make better use of gate space, but it is interesting that both DL and AA dropped CP on this route in the same month. Could just be a coincidence, though, of course. I haven't flown AA on this in a very long time, so I'm not that familiar with their operations, though I was thinking of booking it for my next trip just to fly AA mainline for the first time ever.

I don't know for a fact that the change on the AA side was due to aircraft performance, but just had multiple friends that commute from DEN-LAX for both CP and SKW and they avoided the CP flights like the plague due to days where they could only take 50 or so passengers.

I wouldn't doubt that the Delta change was due to performance, and am surprised as well that they are still running the 175 during the summer. I know the route started as a CRJ900, is there a chance that it would return later towards the summer/have better single engine performance than the 175?

bomber996

Sat Apr 15, 2017 12:58 pm

DiamondFlyer wrote:
It may not be 9%, but I've heard numbers from 2-9% for how much Delta is going to shrink MSP this year, with a large majority of that cut coming on the RJ side. So it could just me a 9% cut in RJ flying at MSP.

Is this a 9% reduction in capacity or in operations? Thanks!

Peace :box:
"We've recently upped our standards, so up yours." - Federal Aviation Administration

DiamondFlyer

Sat Apr 15, 2017 1:31 pm

bomber996 wrote:
DiamondFlyer wrote:

Is this a 9% reduction in capacity or in operations? Thanks!

Peace :box:

I'm not sure where the number comes from, its just a number I've heard thrown around on various pilot forums.
From my cold, dead hands

intotheair

Sat Apr 15, 2017 7:55 pm

fdx320loader wrote:
I don't know for a fact that the change on the AA side was due to aircraft performance, but just had multiple friends that commute from DEN-LAX for both CP and SKW and they avoided the CP flights like the plague due to days where they could only take 50 or so passengers.

I wouldn't doubt that the Delta change was due to performance, and am surprised as well that they are still running the 175 during the summer. I know the route started as a CRJ900, is there a chance that it would return later towards the summer/have better single engine performance than the 175?

Maybe. Is the CR9 that much better of a hot and high performer than the E175?

My original guess for why DL shifted from CR9s to E175s was to improve loads by giving passengers a plane with more of a mainline feel. The load factors on some of the first flights I took with them were pretty light. This route is very frequency sensitive and competitive with everyone but AS+VX flying it on all mainline, and I could imagine DL must have thought they could get more repeat customers if they put them into a plane that at least feels like mainline. I don't mind the CR9, but the E175 is sure nice and my choice over most mainline aircraft.

fdx320loader

Sat Apr 15, 2017 11:30 pm

intotheair wrote:
fdx320loader wrote:

Maybe. Is the CR9 that much better of a hot and high performer than the E175?

My original guess for why DL shifted from CR9s to E175s was to improve loads by giving passengers a plane with more of a mainline feel. The load factors on some of the first flights I took with them were pretty light. This route is very frequency sensitive and competitive with everyone but AS+VX flying it on all mainline, and I could imagine DL must have thought they could get more repeat customers if they put them into a plane that at least feels like mainline. I don't mind the CR9, but the E175 is sure nice and my choice over most mainline aircraft.

I agree, 100% would prefer a 175 over a CR9 any day. I don't know if it has better performance than the 175 in the summer or not. Just hadn't heard any issues of weight restricted flights etc on the DL flights from friends trying to get to LA. But like what was mentioned, SKW is running the 175 DEN-LAX for Delta so far through May, and I would guess into the later summer months.

DDR

Sat Apr 15, 2017 11:34 pm

MSPNWA wrote:
Sad news for the employees at MSP. This is home for so many of them, and this is a big blow for the senior ranks at MSP. I would expect a lot of turnover. Maybe that was part of the point--to purge the veterans.

I don't think MSP will be the second largest hub much longer. Makes sense since DTW has much more value.

INFINITI329

Sun Apr 16, 2017 3:18 am

DiamondFlyer wrote:
B747forever wrote:
DiamondFlyer wrote:

Compass flies for Delta and American, the two carriers which have owned regionals carriers, that they've begun to bring their flying in house to.

There were rumors on here that AA may be pulling their E175s from CP and relocating them to MQ and reopen their LAX base. All 20 of AA branded e17s operated by CP are owned by AA.

strfyr51

Sun Apr 16, 2017 4:15 am

drdisque wrote:

It will affect them in a lot of ways, The difference between Housing in MSP and LAX is REALLY Different and a shock in many ways. But! The overall cost of living is pretty comparable, Clothing and Heating costs will drop food costs will drop fresh veggies will be available year around. The downside? housing costs will rise by 50-60% Depending on where they live? Transportation costs might rise as they'll have to still maintain their cars after they deal with the California Smog inspections.
Which really means they'll get annual or bi-annual major tune-ups and quarterly oil changes at the minimum hopefully then can find some nice areas East of LAX on I-10 or North/South on the I-5 or I-205 corridor. That's where I started looking when I worked in Southern California I loved the area but the traffic? Well?? it takes some getting used to. I lived in El Segundo and I enjoyed it

SNCNtry32

Sun Apr 16, 2017 6:07 am

n7371f wrote:

Delta is trying to shove a square peg through a round hole in LAX. The LAX operation is a joke; its destined to fail from the start of the day. Between gating constraints, surface congestion, and just laziness period from anyone who ""supports"" the LAX operation for Delta, no one can do anything as soon as one domino falls be it Delta, Sky West or Compass. Gate holdouts are common.

Delta was on notice that something needed to be done, the terminal move will help. They have admitted the LAX operation is a mess in various Velvet events for employees.

Also if you look at what Compass was flying and still is flying, its Coast to Coast, 4 different timezones. I think closing MSP will help alleviate routing pressure on the planes. It needed to happen.
Long Live Memphis!

n7371f

Sun Apr 16, 2017 6:49 am

fdx320loader wrote:
n7371f wrote:

Yes mainline DL numbers are better (but when isn't a mainline) and AA Eagle is slightly better for Compass in LA. However you're leaving out several variables, one of which is the Compass flying brand new E75 Enhanced for AA yet decade old E75's for DL (owned by Delta). Overall LAX is a mess. I've had numerous delays on OO too.

But Compass' operation has also drawn the ire of SEA & its leaders and there's where Compass' non-LAX issues come out. Placing the MTC operation at SEA and DL allowing Compass to use hangar space has helped.

airtran737

Sun Apr 16, 2017 10:28 am

INFINITI329 wrote:
DiamondFlyer wrote:
B747forever wrote:

There were rumors on here that AA may be pulling their E175s from CP and relocating them to MQ and reopen their LAX base. All 20 of AA branded e17s operated by CP are owned by AA.

I along with my fellow MQ pilots hope that these planes do come back to MQ. While I don't fly the 175, I support bringing as much flying as possible back to the wholly owned carriers. Trans States, Compass, and Air Wisconsin are/were all replaceable.
Nice Trip Report!!! Great Pics, thanks for posting!!!! B747Forever

C767P

Sun Apr 16, 2017 3:10 pm

airtran737 wrote:

I along with my fellow MQ pilots hope that these planes do come back to MQ. While I don't fly the 175, I support bringing as much flying as possible back to the wholly owned carriers. Trans States, Compass, and Air Wisconsin are/were all replaceable.

If you were not paying attention, Envoy is replaceable too.

To hope airplanes leave a carrier is a slippery slope, considering you are experiencing that exact thing. To come back suggest that Envoy had the 175s flying for Compass, and that isn’t the case.

With every airplane that moves around between regionals it changes peoples lives and careers. To wish and hope this happens…wow. Good luck.

StrandedAtMKG

Sun Apr 16, 2017 3:31 pm

This just means there will be more crew deadheading from MSP to LAX/SEA, so more opportunities for paying passengers to be dragged off the plane by law enforcement.

/duck

wedgetail737

Sun Apr 16, 2017 3:39 pm

I was wondering if this move means Compass will take some of SkyWest's CR7 and CR9 routes from SEA, as well as LAX...like SEA-SIT, SEA-EUG, and even the shorter SEA-YVR and SEA-Victoria.

MarkATL

Sun Apr 16, 2017 4:28 pm

StrandedAtMKG wrote:
This just means there will be more crew deadheading from MSP to LAX/SEA, so more opportunities for paying passengers to be dragged off the plane by law enforcement.

/duck

Actually just the opposite. If they're based out of MSP and fly out of LAX or SEA, than they have to be deadheaded. This is where it's the airlines responsibility to get them there. If they're based in LAX or SEA and live in MSP, than it 's the crew members responsibility to get there themselves. They would have have to pass ride space available or buy a ticket.

StrandedAtMKG

Sun Apr 16, 2017 4:36 pm

MarkATL wrote:
StrandedAtMKG wrote:

/duck

Actually just the opposite. If they're based out of MSP and fly out of LAX or SEA, than they have to be deadheaded. This is where it's the airlines responsibility to get them there. If they're based in LAX or SEA and live in MSP, than it 's the crew members responsibility to get there themselves. They would have have to pass ride space available or buy a ticket.

Were you born without a sense of humor, or did you have it surgically removed?

MarkATL

Sun Apr 16, 2017 5:03 pm

StrandedAtMKG wrote:
MarkATL wrote:
StrandedAtMKG wrote:

/duck

Were you born without a sense of humor, or did you have it surgically removed?

Happy Easter!!! Peace!!

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos