Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

keesje

Re: AA 757 go-around at Saint Maarten

Mon Apr 17, 2017 7:10 pm

Of course uninformed media should overreact. On the other hand uninformed media shouldn't under react. That could be damaging for the aviation safety culture.
"Never mistake motion for action." Ernest Hemingway

kgaiflyer

Mon Apr 17, 2017 7:34 pm

"What is that triangle supposed to be for?"

Might be representing the holdng AA1753 did before trying to land. A number of flights were placed in holding patterns between 11am and 4pm AST (I tried to follow it on Flightaware). Btw, AF498 reportedly diverted to Guadeloupe for fuel after holding for some time..

http://flightaware.com/live/flight/AAL1 ... /KCLT/TNCM

Meltshopmax

Mon Apr 17, 2017 8:04 pm

What I see or rather hear is very early in the upset the engines start to spool. Like go around??? Then they come up and climb. Go around!!!!. Its the second from" we might have an issue" to "we Have an ISSUE!!" I think it was a gust and they did the right thing. Good job guys.

FlyMKG

Mon Apr 17, 2017 8:56 pm

Aircraft are certified to be in a specific approach category. However, the minimums that are used depend on the actual speed the aircraft is flying on the approach. My current jet is certified as a Category C (121-140 KIAS) aircraft. There are many times where our calculated approach speed puts us into Category D speeds (141-165 KIAS) due to additives. Ice accumulation or gusty conditions with a heavy jet almost always lead to a higher speed approach and thus Category D minimums.

catiii

Tue Apr 18, 2017 1:18 am

Q wrote:
I just heard Westjet is interesting in merger with American Airlines next month. Just kidding.. LOL!

Q

What's the joke here?

Q

Wed May 03, 2017 5:24 am

catiii wrote:
Q wrote:
I just heard Westjet is interesting in merger with American Airlines next month. Just kidding.. LOL!

Q

What's the joke here?

Don't you see or hear the news that Westjet 738 almost went down into water before touchdown? 738 went go around before landing same location at SXM a few weeks later it happened again AA 757 go around. That's why I joked about this.

Q

catiii

Wed May 03, 2017 6:15 pm

Q wrote:
catiii wrote:
Q wrote:

Q

What's the joke here?

Don't you see or hear the news that Westjet 738 almost went down into water before touchdown? 738 went go around before landing same location at SXM a few weeks later it happened again AA 757 go around. That's why I joked about this.

Q

I'm aware of both go arounds. Not sure how that relates into a joke about a merger. A DL captain hit a passenger, and the Chicago police forcefully dragged a UA passenger off a flight. Does that mean they're merging (jokingly too?

Passedv1

Wed May 03, 2017 8:20 pm

By the time you visually detect the airplane is going around, the decision
was made at least 2 or 3 seconds before. Pilot's practice go-arounds even later than this. The mains never came close to touching the ground.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos