Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

justplanesmart
Topic Author

Spirit's N535NK & N536NK

Mon Apr 17, 2017 4:47 am

These two second-hand A319 aircraft were acquired by Spirit, painted in their banana colors, and flown to Tampa earlier this year. They have been there for over three months now. Any information as to what is keeping them from entering service?

http://flightaware.com/photos/view/1158 ... ttype/A319

http://flightaware.com/photos/view/1158 ... ttype/A319
"So many planes; so little time..."

CATIIIevery5yrs

Re: Spirit's N535NK & N536NK

Mon Apr 17, 2017 6:18 am

It's taking a long time to check out the pilots on flight deck foot warmer SOP. Only two planes in the fleet with foot warmers. No one likes cold feet.

tb727

Mon Apr 17, 2017 1:30 pm

CATIIIevery5yrs wrote:
It's taking a long time to check out the pilots on flight deck foot warmer SOP. Only two planes in the fleet with foot warmers. No one likes cold feet.

Very exciting feature.
Too lazy to work, too scared to steal!

wrongwayup

Mon Apr 17, 2017 3:13 pm

My guess would be interior mods. Volaris has a pair of lavatories forward of the rear doors and a full rear galley in their A319s while Spirit has only a half-galley and one lav aft of the doors. That's a pretty significant change if Spirit and CIT/Avolon are going to go through with it. The combination of lead time of parts and down time for install could easily be three months.

TWA302

Mon Apr 17, 2017 3:41 pm

Asking this out of curiosity. Would it have been financially feasible to retro-fit these two frames to mimic their current fleet rather than having them sit dormant for four months? I know WN does this with planes they have acquired from other airlines/lessors. Thought I'd pose the question for the betterment of my knowledge.

32andBelow

Mon Apr 17, 2017 4:16 pm

TWA302 wrote:
Asking this out of curiosity. Would it have been financially feasible to retro-fit these two frames to mimic their current fleet rather than having them sit dormant for four months? I know WN does this with planes they have acquired from other airlines/lessors. Thought I'd pose the question for the betterment of my knowledge.

Aircraft conformity can take a long time when going between operators. A lot of times lease payments don't start until the aircraft are fully on the certificate. My guess is they need these frames for extra summer lift and are fine without them now

Newbiepilot

Mon Apr 17, 2017 8:18 pm

32andBelow wrote:
TWA302 wrote:

Aircraft conformity can take a long time when going between operators. A lot of times lease payments don't start until the aircraft are fully on the certificate. My guess is they need these frames for extra summer lift and are fine without them now

I think Spirit has a pair of A320neos parked and configured for long term storage at DFW while leasing in capacity from Miami Air so I assume they need the extra planes soon.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos