SunsetLimited
Topic Author

New MSY Terminal Food/Retail Vendors Announced

Wed Apr 19, 2017 10:42 pm

I figured this deserves its own thread because this is a pretty big deal for the entire Gulf South region.

The aviation board has completed the selection process for both the food and retail vendors which will be part of the new 35-gate North Terminal (scheduled to open now in February, 2019). It's a pretty decent mix of local and national brands. Certainly, far and away better than what the airport has now. As for the food offerings, some big name chefs are joining the lineup.

Retail/Convenience:

TripAdvisor store (I've never seen one of these)
CNBC store
The Advocate market (Southeast Louisiana newspaper)
Brother's Food Mart (local convenience store)
Spanx store
Crescent City Provisions market
The New Stand (""a complete reinvention of the typical newsstand"...whatever that means)
Dylan's Candy Bar
NOLA Couture
Fleurty Girl
Tabasco Country Store
EJE Travel Retail duty-free
Hattie Sparks boutique
Dirty Coast T-shirt purveyors
Pulp and Grind juice and coffee bar.
Lolli & Pops
Preservation Hall retail/performance space and ticket sales for nightly shows in the French Quarter
InMotion Entertainment
The Scoreboard (Louisiana college/pro sports store)

Restaurants:

* Leah's Kitchen
* Folse Market (seafood, po'boys, charcuterie, coffee and wine)
* Bar Sazerac (cocktails)
* Heritage School of Music Stage and Wine Bar (live music)
* NOLA Food Expo (food hall featuring three restaurants)
* Pizza Domenica by chefs John Besh and Alon Shaya
* Johnny Sanchez by chefs John Besh and Aaron Sanchez
* Angelo Brocato (old school New Orleans Italian desert parlor)
* PJ's Coffee
* Mondo, by Chef Susan Spicer
* Cure (local cocktail bar)
* The Munch Factory
* Emeril's Table, by Chef Emeril Lagasse
* Lucky Dogs
* AuntieAnne's pretzels
* Starbucks,
* Burger King
* The Great American Bagel
* Panda Express.

For further reading...

http://www.nola.com/business/index.ssf/2017/01/armstrong_airport_food_new_ter.html

http://www.theadvocate.com/new_orleans/news/business/article_a171dcb4-2476-11e7-800d-8325f00cb332.html
Spread hope like fire.

PanzerPowner

Re: New MSY Terminal Food/Retail Vendors Announced

Wed Apr 19, 2017 10:50 pm

God bless there are no McDonald's in that terminal.
Well uh, I obviously decided to refine this but i dont know how.

spinkid

Wed Apr 19, 2017 10:55 pm

Thanks GAWD there will be a Spanx store. lol

It sounds like a nice upgrade, but unless they have a place I can buy a bottle of water for less than $4 it won't be much of a change for most travelers. I try to buy as little as possible post security because of price gauging.

Nola

Wed Apr 19, 2017 10:55 pm

Interestingly, Coaxum owns and operated McDonald's franchises in New Orleans, but the concessionaire in which he is a joint venturer will have a Burger King.

SunsetLimited
Topic Author

Wed Apr 19, 2017 11:11 pm

spinkid wrote:
Thanks GAWD there will be a Spanx store. lol

It sounds like a nice upgrade, but unless they have a place I can buy a bottle of water for less than $4 it won't be much of a change for most travelers. I try to buy as little as possible post security because of price gauging.

Supposedly one of the stipulations was that the products sold in the retail/convenience stores can't be more than 10% higher that what you could buy on the street. So hopefully, no $4 waters!
Spread hope like fire.

n471wn

Thu Apr 20, 2017 12:00 am

How sad---no Popeyes Chicken which we have now!!

elmothehobo

Thu Apr 20, 2017 12:08 am

Any word on any airline lounges being opened in the new terminal? Will Delta keep a SkyClub in MSY?

SunsetLimited
Topic Author

Thu Apr 20, 2017 12:13 am

elmothehobo wrote:
Any word on any airline lounges being opened in the new terminal? Will Delta keep a SkyClub in MSY?

DL is going to open a new SkyClub. I've heard it's going to be a two-story club.

Not sure about AA or UA. Hoping for AA so that BA customers can use it.
Spread hope like fire.

LAX772LR

Thu Apr 20, 2017 12:44 am

....but no Smoothie King.

Shame on them. All of them!

I myself, suspect a more prosaic motive... ~Thranduil

GSPSPOT

Thu Apr 20, 2017 1:43 am

I don't know if its' still there, but a while back the current terminal had an outpost of Cafe du Monde serving beignets. Will those delightful greasy, pillowy, sweet pieces of Heaven be available in the new terminal?
Great Lakes, great life.

LightningZ71

Thu Apr 20, 2017 3:41 am

Looks a bunch better than we have now. Now, as long as they don't cherry pick their "on the street" prices (hint: if they pick CBD based establishments that are tourist heavy, you can absolutely wind up with $4 bottles of water...) and leave prices affordable, it will all do quite well.

dbrady737

Thu Apr 20, 2017 4:12 am

Would've liked to have seen a local brewer in there, maybe a "NOLA" or "Urban South" brew pub or something along those lines.

LAX772LR

Thu Apr 20, 2017 4:34 am

n471wn wrote:
How sad---no Popeyes Chicken which we have now!!

That Popeyes closed almost a decade ago.....

dbrady737 wrote:
Would've liked to have seen a local brewer in there, maybe a "NOLA" or "Urban South" brew pub or something along those lines.

I'll be shocked if someone (restaurants?) don't manage to sell Abita in there, though.

NolaMD88fan

Thu Apr 20, 2017 5:03 am

A definite improvement over the current airside offerings.

As far as lounges go, it's confirmed about the DL 2-story lounge. It will be on the east side of the arrivals hall post-security just before turning to walk down the east concourse. Looks like it will be pretty nice and a definite improvement over the current lounge.

There is a small international departures lounge also depicted in the schematics on the west facing side of the west concourse. Not too far from the now proposed international concourse. Maybe they will adjust the plans,and push the lounge over to the international gates. The last schematic used in the bid process had it at 988 square feet. Based on concourse naming, this new international concourse will obviously be named Concourse A. BA, CM, DE, DL, UA, and Vacation Express would use these 5 gates for international departures and arrivals. AC would likely continue to use one of the UA gates.

Proposed gate assignments are:

Concourse B: B1 (NOAB), B2 (WN), B3 (NOAB), B4 (WN), B5 (WN), B6 (WN), B7 (WN), B8 (WN), B9 (WN), B10 (AS), B11 (AA), B12 (AA), B14 (AA), B15 (AA), B16 (AA)

Concourse C: C1 (B6), C2 (DL), C3 (NOAB), C4 (DL), C5 (UA), C6 (DL), C7 (UA), C8 (DL), C9 (UA), C10 (DL), C11 (UA), C12 (G4), C14 (NK), C15 (UA), C16 (F9).

Here are the latest schematics that were used in the bid process. The new international concourse design is still ongoing. Scroll down to section 3.

http://www.bidnet.com/bneattachments?/416559812.pdf

LAX772LR

Thu Apr 20, 2017 8:02 am

NolaMD88fan wrote:
http://www.bidnet.com/bneattachments?/416559812.pdf

Interesting that B1 and B3 are still shown attached to a sterile FIS corridor.

Could it be that both A and B will be able to handle int'l ops?
Assuming all gates in A are FIS-capable, that'd give 7 international gates compared to the current 6.

LAX772LR

Thu Apr 20, 2017 8:07 am

Then again, just realized that that's from September 2016... so interesting to see whether they've made the change to B or not.

NolaMD88fan

Thu Apr 20, 2017 2:14 pm

Agreed...it will be interesting to see what they do with B1 and B3, and if they keep the international lounge in the same spot. I do hope the international lounge is run by a lounge operator, and not the airport itself.

I doubt there will be any other significant changes to the design, so the layout in that .pdf file are what we'll see when the terminal opens in 2019. I'm hoping we'll see updated schematics with the new international concourse added on soon.

msyjay

Thu Apr 20, 2017 3:30 pm

The gates that say NOAB, are they overflow common use gates??

N312RC

Thu Apr 20, 2017 3:32 pm

GSPSPOT wrote:
I don't know if its' still there, but a while back the current terminal had an outpost of Cafe du Monde serving beignets. Will those delightful greasy, pillowy, sweet pieces of Heaven be available in the new terminal?

I second this... Right next to the DL ticket counter in the current terminal is a place where you can buy beignets. Anyone know if any of the concessionaires will oblige in the new facility?
My views as expressed above are my views alone and do not constitute the views of my employer.

msycajun

Thu Apr 20, 2017 3:33 pm

Thanks for posting those schematics. It will be very interesting to see if any of that changes with the latest revisions and additions. I like the idea of the two-story lounge and I hope that the AA and UA have made plans to add one. If growth continues as it has, we'd end up being one of, if not the largest station without AA and UA lounges. It is especially annoying since they both have international partners flying to MSY.

One thing that I found interesting is that they have WN down for 7 gates. With them currently in the mid 50s for departures, that would give them room for another 10-15 departures even before the expansion was accounted for. I wonder if we'll see them expand sooner, since the opening was pushed back.

msycajun

Thu Apr 20, 2017 3:45 pm

msyjay wrote:
The gates that say NOAB, are they overflow common use gates??

Yes. It should be noted that NK recently became a signatory carrier, so they will have at least one or two gates to themselves. AS will also be eligible to become a signatory once the SFO flight begins. The airport is currently installing systems to allow more common/shared use in the current terminal as well.

Nola

Thu Apr 20, 2017 4:03 pm

Even with the additional gates, this does not seem big enough. UA just gave up a gate, so five is probably fine for them, but I don't see how five gates (or six including the international gate that will be pretty far away) is enough for DL.

msycajun

Thu Apr 20, 2017 4:13 pm

Nola wrote:
Even with the additional gates, this does not seem big enough. UA just gave up a gate, so five is probably fine for them, but I don't see how five gates (or six including the international gate that will be pretty far away) is enough for DL.

DL is only using 5 gates now and has less than 30 departures per day. They'll be able to use other gates as necessary if they expand. Remember the current rendering/listing only factors in 30 gates, but we'll have 35 once it opens, so they will be extra space. Expect things to shift around in the two years until it opens.

SunsetLimited
Topic Author

Thu Apr 20, 2017 5:54 pm

The big change for the airlines will be the fact that they are now going to have to tow aircraft. For example AA currently has 10 aircraft that RON here. They are supposed to have 5 gates at the new terminal. Even if they have access to one or two common use gates for a RON flight, a few planes would still have to be towed. Same goes for DL, UA, and probably WN.
Spread hope like fire.

Nola

Thu Apr 20, 2017 9:45 pm

msycajun wrote:
Nola wrote:

DL is only using 5 gates now and has less than 30 departures per day. They'll be able to use other gates as necessary if they expand. Remember the current rendering/listing only factors in 30 gates, but we'll have 35 once it opens, so they will be extra space. Expect things to shift around in the two years until it opens.

Aren't they still using C gates for some of the RON aircraft?

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos