Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

txjim
Topic Author

"The Air Stewardess in Advertising" at Flashbak.com

Sat Apr 22, 2017 4:37 pm

I ran cross a great collection of airline (and related) advertising featuring flight attendants from 1934 onward.

http://flashbak.com/the-air-stewardess-in-advertising-1934-1989-378134/

A couple of my favorites are from United. About 3/4 of the way down there is an ad quoting the VP of united stating the greatness of Chesterfield cigarettes and that these are exclusively offered on their Stratocruiser Honolulu flights.

Toward the bottom, United also has an ad stating that the stewardesses are so awesome that they typically only work 21 months before they get married (and presumably leave the profession.) Look for the photo of a young woman with the caption "Old Maid."

Hope you enjoy...

Seabear

Re: "The Air Stewardess in Advertising" at Flashbak.com

Sat Apr 22, 2017 6:19 pm

Ahhh...when the skies were friendly, and the cabin filled with acrid carcinogens.

Truly cringe-worthy.

LightningZ71

Sat Apr 22, 2017 11:44 pm

Wow, was the world ever a different place...

JetBuddy

Sun Apr 23, 2017 8:42 am

Love them! Different times.

joeycapps

Sun Apr 23, 2017 9:45 am

I'm surprised there wasn't any Hawaiian Airlines or Pan Am "Fly To The South Sea Isles" vintage posters (that I've seen). Being a fanatic of both airlines and anything vintage Hawaii, I've been looking to get my hands on an original poster like that for awhile, I'd love to have them in my office, but no such luck. Just reprints that are (hardly) worth the $500 they're asking.

Sure, the smoking thing wasn't the best part of air travel, but it is symbolic of the times. Even at my age, I remember flying on smoking flights (albeit I was very young) and that isn't what stuck with me in the bigger picture. There was also a time where you would go into the grocery store or doctor's office and people smoked. We've evolved... And an unintended consequence of that evolution is pajamas and loose t-shirts on flights, as opposed to watching my parents get ready for our flight (Alitalia to FCO) as if they were going to an invite only affair...

Sometimes we get so lost in the weeds that we lose focus of the big picture. A lot of history in these posters, and proof that as a society, we've progressed on many fronts and in some ways lost touch with social 'norms'. Airplanes in some respect were social clubs in the sky; people talked, laughed, rested, whatever - now we're all stuck with headphones and AVOD or PED's in our face, the majority ignorant to the fact that they are traveling on what once was considered the impossible...

Rant over.... Sorry, I had to.

Aesma

Sun Apr 23, 2017 1:07 pm

For the smoking part, people were in denial at that time, a pretty known fact.

About the extreme misogyny, I don't know though, didn't anybody think "maybe that's too much ?" when making some of these ads ? I guess no women in these meetings. Women weren't second class citizen, they were cattle it seems.
New Technology is the name we give to stuff that doesn't work yet. Douglas Adams

nitepilot79

Sun Apr 23, 2017 4:54 pm

[quote="Aesma"]For the smoking part, people were in denial at that time, a pretty known fact.[/quote

I realize that having burning material on an airplane could potentially cause a serious problem, but I can't recall any aircraft actually being brought down by a cigarette.
Last edited by nitepilot79 on Sun Apr 23, 2017 4:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

nitepilot79

Sun Apr 23, 2017 4:57 pm

nitepilot79 wrote:
Aesma wrote:
For the smoking part, people were in denial at that time, a pretty known fact.[/quote

I realize that having burning material on an airplane could potentially cause a problem, but I can't recall any aircraft actually being brought down by a cigarette.

They would have been dropping like flies a few decades ago.

RetiredWeasel

Sun Apr 23, 2017 5:07 pm

nitepilot79 wrote:
nitepilot79 wrote:
Aesma wrote:
For the smoking part, people were in denial at that time, a pretty known fact.[/quote

I realize that having burning material on an airplane could potentially cause a problem, but I can't recall any aircraft actually being brought down by a cigarette.

If you mean brought down as in crashed -- no. But there were several emergency landings due to a lav fires where smokers started a fire while smoking and dumping.

Aesma

Sun Apr 23, 2017 5:08 pm

Actually I was only talking about the health consequences of smoking.
New Technology is the name we give to stuff that doesn't work yet. Douglas Adams

nitepilot79

Sun Apr 23, 2017 5:26 pm

RetiredWeasel wrote:
nitepilot79 wrote:
nitepilot79 wrote:

If you mean brought down as in crashed -- no..

Yes that's what I meant.

I agree with aesma that there are health risks involved with smoking, but the risks weren't widely advertised until much later, of course.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos