Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

 
B747forever
Posts: 13847
Joined: Mon May 21, 2007 9:50 pm

Re: Westbound “Redeyes”

Tue Sep 12, 2017 8:12 pm

Cory6188 wrote:
VS and BA both have flights LHR-JFK leaving at 8:10 pm and 7:50 pm, respectively, arriving at ~11 pm EST/4 am GMT; AF has a CDG-JFK flight leaving at 7 pm, arriving at 9:15 pm EST/3:15 am CET.

Those would all definitely as westbound redeyes as well, in my mind (and they're especially tough since you more or less have to force yourself to stay awake the whole flight so that you're actually able to sleep when you land).



AFs late CDG-LAX flight is even worse:

AF76 CDG-LAX departing 1855 and arriving into LAX 2135 (0635 CET).
Work Hard, Fly Right
 
sw733
Posts: 5881
Joined: Wed Feb 25, 2004 6:19 am

Re: Westbound “Redeyes”

Tue Sep 12, 2017 8:50 pm

strfyr51 wrote:
UNITED has a number of redeyes that have been famous throuout my time here SEA/SFO/ LAX-ORD departing at 0020-0032 arriving AT 0624-0639 and Lax/Sea/Sfo- IAD leaving 1030P--1150P- Arr 0621-0755. always good flying..


Isn't that just a normal eastbound redeye?
 
Bobloblaw
Posts: 2406
Joined: Fri Jan 13, 2012 1:15 pm

Re: Westbound “Redeyes”

Tue Sep 12, 2017 8:54 pm

In the 1950s Europe-USA would be possible as westbound red eyes.
 
Yflyer
Posts: 1725
Joined: Sat Feb 17, 2007 4:05 am

Re: Westbound “Redeyes”

Tue Sep 12, 2017 9:11 pm

Western727 wrote:
airbazar wrote:
If you get to sleep in a real bed before going to the airport, it's not a red-eye :)


Agreed. The only "real" red-eyes are the aforementioned North America-Asia flights, the HA LAS-HNL flight and flights like the HKG-JNB. Those 5a departures I don't consider overnight/red-eye flights.

EDIT: Clarification.


Also North America - Australia, which I don't think has been mentioned yet. I've taken an LAX-SYD flight that departed around 10:30pm and arrived early in the morning. Thanks to the quirks of flying across the international date line that would be early in the morning two days later.
 
sw733
Posts: 5881
Joined: Wed Feb 25, 2004 6:19 am

Re: Westbound “Redeyes”

Tue Sep 12, 2017 9:35 pm

Yflyer wrote:
Western727 wrote:
airbazar wrote:
If you get to sleep in a real bed before going to the airport, it's not a red-eye :)


Agreed. The only "real" red-eyes are the aforementioned North America-Asia flights, the HA LAS-HNL flight and flights like the HKG-JNB. Those 5a departures I don't consider overnight/red-eye flights.

EDIT: Clarification.


Also North America - Australia, which I don't think has been mentioned yet. I've taken an LAX-SYD flight that departed around 10:30pm and arrived early in the morning. Thanks to the quirks of flying across the international date line that would be early in the morning two days later.


Was mentioned in Post 11. South America to Australia/New Zealand would also be a westbound redeye.
 
Cory6188
Posts: 2710
Joined: Mon Feb 02, 2004 12:29 am

Re: Westbound “Redeyes”

Tue Sep 12, 2017 9:43 pm

B747forever wrote:
AFs late CDG-LAX flight is even worse:

AF76 CDG-LAX departing 1855 and arriving into LAX 2135 (0635 CET).


Ooof, that is brutal. I thought the JFK flights were tough, but that might take the cake for the worst possible flight that goes directly against your circadian rhythm (and really doesn't allow for much, if any, sleep if you care to be remotely adjusted to Pacific Time when you land). At least other westbound redeye flights that leave at 11 pm and arrive at 5 pm westbound give you a morning arrival; a 9:35 pm arrival literally puts you in LAX right in time for bed.
 
AA747123
Posts: 287
Joined: Wed Dec 14, 2016 5:15 pm

Re: Westbound “Redeyes”

Tue Sep 12, 2017 9:48 pm

I seem to remember a westbound red-eye on short lived Columbia Airlines with a 747 IADLAX, but due to heavy fog in LAX this flights typically diverted to SLC>
 
nry
Posts: 115
Joined: Tue Aug 20, 2013 11:42 pm

Re: Westbound “Redeyes”

Tue Sep 12, 2017 10:07 pm

Just took one: UA 955 TLV-SFO qualifies as a westbound redeye. It departs TLV at 12:55a and arrives in SFO at 6a.
B727, B737, B747, B757, B767, B777, B787, DC9/MD80, DC10, MD11
A319, A320 (+neo), A321, A330, A340
L1011
ATR77, CRJ200, CRJ700, E145, E170, E175
 
B747forever
Posts: 13847
Joined: Mon May 21, 2007 9:50 pm

Re: Westbound “Redeyes”

Tue Sep 12, 2017 10:30 pm

Cory6188 wrote:
B747forever wrote:
AFs late CDG-LAX flight is even worse:

AF76 CDG-LAX departing 1855 and arriving into LAX 2135 (0635 CET).


Ooof, that is brutal. I thought the JFK flights were tough, but that might take the cake for the worst possible flight that goes directly against your circadian rhythm (and really doesn't allow for much, if any, sleep if you care to be remotely adjusted to Pacific Time when you land). At least other westbound redeye flights that leave at 11 pm and arrive at 5 pm westbound give you a morning arrival; a 9:35 pm arrival literally puts you in LAX right in time for bed.


Yeah, this flight will really mess ones circadian rhythm. Must be even worse during winter when you fly 11h40min in complete darkness, and with dimmed cabin lights after the first meal service. Good luck trying to stay awake the whole flight.
Work Hard, Fly Right
 
B747forever
Posts: 13847
Joined: Mon May 21, 2007 9:50 pm

Re: Westbound “Redeyes”

Tue Sep 12, 2017 10:33 pm

nry wrote:
Just took one: UA 955 TLV-SFO qualifies as a westbound redeye. It departs TLV at 12:55a and arrives in SFO at 6a.


While it is a redeye, that is a easy flight and follows your sleep cycle quite well. The late AF CDG-LAX flight is what I would call a tough westbound redeye.
Work Hard, Fly Right
 
User avatar
AI126
Posts: 83
Joined: Thu Nov 17, 2016 2:03 am

Re: Westbound “Redeyes”

Tue Sep 12, 2017 10:40 pm

Most of the India-USA flights are "redeyes" taking off around 12 pm to 2 am and arrive in the US 6-8 am the same day.
 
HJM
Posts: 77
Joined: Sat Aug 19, 2017 11:05 pm

Re: Westbound “Redeyes”

Wed Sep 13, 2017 12:35 am

Long time ago CP operated YYZ-YYC-YVR flight with DC10 equipment that departed YYZ at 2300 and arrived to YVR at 0300.
 
CHI2DFW
Posts: 223
Joined: Wed May 31, 2017 1:44 am

Re: Westbound “Redeyes”

Wed Sep 13, 2017 12:41 am

Kind of westbound (more southbound), but ORD-Mexico sees a few. Good use of planes and VFR traffic could care less if the airfare is cheap!

Who is online

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos