Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

krisyyz
Topic Author

BUD targets flights to the US for S18

Wed Apr 26, 2017 2:21 am

While nothing concrete has been announced, it sounds like BUD is closer to establishing direct flights to NYC or Chicago for the 2018 summer season. The article mentions AA and DL, as well as European carriers and 5th freedom carriers, I'm assuming QR and EK both which currently serve BUD, as possible airlines which could operate the new flights. A new pier and a new terminal are being constructed at BUD as well. AC rouge has doubled its seasonal YYZ-BUD-YYZ flights for the summer, while TS as backed away. CA also has seasonal service to PEK from BUD.

Could BUD become a HUB for central Europe? With no national airline, certain geographical advantages, lots of LCC options of connections to vacation destination, and an airport that has found its place after the collapse of MA, which had 40% if flights at BUD, seems like the future may be bright.

https://www.flightglobal.com/news/articles/budapest-targets-2018-for-us-route-relaunch-436470/

KrisYYZ

FSDan

Re: BUD targets flights to the US for S18

Wed Apr 26, 2017 2:59 am

Both DL and AA have operated JFK-BUD before. I believe DL pulled out at a similar time to when they ended JFK-KBP, and AA pulled the plug when Malev went under. I think DL would be more likely to resume their service out of those two, although with the direction TATL revenue is heading I'm not sure they'll jump...
This is my signature until I think of a better one.

lavalampluva

Wed Apr 26, 2017 3:02 am

JFK would be a safe assumption.
Remind me to send a thank you note to Mr. Boeing.

flyfresno

Wed Apr 26, 2017 3:18 am

This would be AMAZING. Budapest is one of the best cities in Europe!

yoplait

Wed Apr 26, 2017 6:22 am

krisyyz wrote:
With no national airline,
KrisYYZ

Isn't WizzAir their new national airline?

Luisvalero

Wed Apr 26, 2017 8:00 am

yoplait wrote:
krisyyz wrote:
With no national airline,
KrisYYZ

Wizz Air is an hungarian airline and has one of it's biggest bases in BUD, but it's not The flag carrier of Hungary. As far as I know, LCC aren't flag cariiers

konkret

Wed Apr 26, 2017 11:34 am

krisyyz wrote:
Could BUD become a HUB for central Europe?

No. In your own words: no national airline and lots of LCC options (plus other factors such as lack of premium traffic).

TWA772LR

Wed Apr 26, 2017 12:54 pm

Would DXB-BUD-JFK be a good EK 5th freedom route?
When wasn't America great?

The thoughts and opinions shared under this username are mine and are not influenced by my employer.

LGAviation

Wed Apr 26, 2017 1:13 pm

TWA772LR wrote:
Would DXB-BUD-JFK be a good EK 5th freedom route?

With the electronics ban that might indeed be something they are looking at, anyone aware of how their DXB-ATH-EWR is doing, markets would be comparable
2018: ADD CPH DAR DEN DME DUB FRA HAH HAM IST JIB KEF LYR MEL OSL PEK PKC PVG RAK STN SVO SYD YVR

jimbo737

Wed Apr 26, 2017 1:27 pm

What the heck is a "flag" carrier?

It may have meant something 30 or 40 years ago but today? Isn't it a term used by nostalgia-ridden airline junkies?

Does the term have any official relevance in this day and age or is it simply a marketing term implying some sort of archaic former designation?

krisyyz
Topic Author

Wed Apr 26, 2017 2:42 pm

jimbo737 wrote:

It may have meant something 30 or 40 years ago but today? Isn't it a term used by nostalgia-ridden airline junkies?

Does the term have any official relevance in this day and age or is it simply a marketing term implying some sort of archaic former designation?

No, it's a term used quite frequently, http://www.marketwatch.com/story/media-advisory---air-canada-to-unveil-the-future-of-canadas-flag-carrier-at-events-in-toronto-montreal-and-vancouver-2017-02-03
Not to get political, but with the rise of nationalism, I bet it's something we'll see more often.

yoplait wrote:

While its HQ is in Budapest, its CEO is a former MA exec, most of its fleet carries Hungarian registration and BUD is of major focus, Wizz has bases, crews and aircraft based across Europe.

However, what I could see happening is Wizz making a move on capturing some of the TATL, Asian or Middle Eastern traffic for onwards connections. It wouldn't be the first time a LCC and a legacy carrier had code sharing agreements (i.e KLM and WS)

KrisYYZ

dubaiamman243

Wed Apr 26, 2017 2:46 pm

DXB-BUD-ORD would be a better idea than JFK
The next airline CEO :crossfingers:

wenders825

Wed Apr 26, 2017 5:33 pm

interest is gaining in BUD and Hungary as a whole. would love to see AA give this a shot, but it would certainly be DL if anything.

haye5377

Wed Apr 26, 2017 5:48 pm

I would think summer flights from the US would work well to BUD. I flew DTW-AMS-BUD on DL/KL last week and the KL flights to/from AMS were full of Americans, especially the AMS-BUD return was nearly full of a group of Americans returning from a Danube cruise.

jimbo737

Wed Apr 26, 2017 6:03 pm

I get it that some airlines like to trot out the term as if it actually implies some importance and relevance in this day and age, but other than it suggesting it is government owned and subsidized, which, a least overtly, they aren't, what does it exactly mean outside of marketing lingo?

It's hard to be sympathetic to airlines that use the term " Flag Carrier" believing that it implies some sort of official very important government designation deserving of heightened respect and represents some sort of government "stamp of approval", when sophisticates who spend real money on high yield fares know better.

The same airlines vigorously lament the fact that the other 95% of their customers and the public in general are absolutely certain the airline is owned by the government because of the use of the term and the insinuation it carries, and disrespect it accordingly. Perception is reality. Why foster it by bandying about archaic terms?

Mapleflot comes to mind, but there are others.

stlgph

Wed Apr 26, 2017 6:16 pm

haye5377 wrote:
I would think summer flights from the US would work well to BUD. I flew DTW-AMS-BUD on DL/KL last week and the KL flights to/from AMS were full of Americans, especially the AMS-BUD return was nearly full of a group of Americans returning from a Danube cruise.

On this notion, the idea makes sense. Viking, Emerald and Avalon are all increasing their scheduling out of Budapest as an end and beginning point. It would be interesting to see what kind of demand it would bring across the board, although as my friends who work on/with the ships say the scheduling is becoming a lot more open to starting cruises on Mondays, Tuesdays and Wednesdays.

While I know many Viking passengers are routed on Star Alliance and many Vantage travelers are routed on Delta/KLM/Air France, I am sure there is a fair amount of business spread out across the carriers by all.
if assumptions could fly, airliners.net would be the world's busiest airport

raylee67

Wed Apr 26, 2017 6:25 pm

Norwegian possible?
319/20/21 332/33 342/43/45 359/51 388 707 717 732/36/3G/38/39 74R/42/43/44/4E/48 757 762/63 772/7L/73/7W 788/89 D10 M80 135/40/45 175/90 DH1/4 CRJ/R7 L10
AY LH OU SR BA FI LX
AA DL UA NW AC CP WS FL NK PD
CI NH SQ KA CX JL BR OZ TG KE CA CZ NZ JQ RS

TWA772LR

Wed Apr 26, 2017 6:29 pm

wenders825 wrote:
interest is gaining in BUD and Hungary as a whole. would love to see AA give this a shot, but it would certainly be DL if anything.

Seems like a perfect MoM route for both airlines... :scratchchin: :duck:
When wasn't America great?

The thoughts and opinions shared under this username are mine and are not influenced by my employer.

wenders825

Wed Apr 26, 2017 6:59 pm

TWA772LR wrote:
wenders825 wrote:

Seems like a perfect MoM route for both airlines... :scratchchin: :duck:

I'd be curious to see if either airline would go for it with a 767, but the question will definitely be "what comes after this?"

even with increased competition and lower fares to Europe I think we're going to see more places like BUD, PRG, even NAP or NCE start to appear on route maps. more people than ever are headed over the atlantic during the summer, and it's not hard to make money if you get a few tour operator contracts and the like. look how much lift AA is bringing into FCO and BCN this summer, for example.

VS4ever

Wed Apr 26, 2017 7:03 pm

i'm making an appointment to see my optician, when i first read this, i swore the title said
"BUD targets flights to the US for $18", i thought wow, that would be an awesome deal, although a massive loss leader (would put DY's $69 one way fares to shame), but then i saw it was Summer 18.
Oh well, exciting none the less.
That feeling when you sit at the end of a runway, brakes are released and the raw power takes over. Now that is a thing of beauty and it never gets old.

PatrickZ80

Wed Apr 26, 2017 7:05 pm

jimbo737 wrote:

It might not mean anything in America, but in Europe a flag carrier still means something. Malev was the flag carrier of Hungary, but they went bankrupt. LCCs quickly jumped in the hole that Malev left behind.

Today Budapest is a real low-cost airport and therefor the most success will be with a LCC. Largest airlines in Budapest are Wizzair, Ryanair and EasyJet, but none of them got any long haul division. Norwegian does, but they're not very active at Budapest. Still that wouldn't stop them, they've opened long haul bases before at airports with no significant presence. Besides, they might be able to make a feeder deal with Ryanair.

As far as flights to Asia are concerned, I can see Scoot start operations to Budapest. They're already flying to Athens and said they're looking into other European destinations as well. Budapest can just be their next European destination. Air Asia is focussing too much on London and therefor missing the boat at Budapest. Too bad since Budapest is a good transfer airport with plenty of feeder flights to London and the rest of Europe.

panamair

Wed Apr 26, 2017 7:30 pm

wenders825 wrote:
even with increased competition and lower fares to Europe I think we're going to see more places like BUD, PRG, even NAP or NCE start to appear on route maps. .

NCE and PRG are already being served nonstop from JFK by Delta, albeit seasonally. JFK-NCE restarted on Apr 14 while JFK-PRG will be starting up on May 15 for this summer.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos