Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

 
yoni
Topic Author
Posts: 221
Joined: Sat Nov 28, 2015 7:39 am

AFKLM narrowbody fleet renewal

Wed Apr 26, 2017 6:24 am

AFKLM will order new narrowbody aircrafts by 2018 as indicated on the link below:
http://aviationweek.com/commercial-aviation/air-france-anticipates-2018-narrowbody-aircraft-decision

Currently, AF has 18 A318, 28 A19, 42 A320 and 20 A321. And KLM has 18 737-700, 27 737-800 and 5 737-900. Transavia Netherlands has 8 737-700 and 33 737-800 (some of them are quite recent)

I wouldn't be surprised if the order is divided between Airbus and Boeing, unless they intend to use only one manufacturer for both.

Who will get this huge order ? Has Bombardier got any chance, especially to replace the A318s ? Will they order the 737-10 ? or the A321 neo LR ?
 
chiki
Posts: 368
Joined: Sat Apr 13, 2013 4:32 pm

Re: AFKLM narrowbody fleet renewal

Wed Apr 26, 2017 6:41 am

Will be interesting and not sure they will also include the WB will give them good leverage when negotiating. However i see a split decision as they have always done.
 
User avatar
seahawk
Posts: 9674
Joined: Fri May 27, 2005 1:29 am

Re: AFKLM narrowbody fleet renewal

Wed Apr 26, 2017 6:43 am

Go MAX!! The classic 737s in AF livery were always a pleasure to spot.
 
User avatar
mercure1
Posts: 4847
Joined: Sun Jul 13, 2008 5:13 am

Re: AFKLM narrowbody fleet renewal

Wed Apr 26, 2017 6:44 am

Yes old news. AFKL has been in process of analysis for narrowbody fleet group order for 2-years.
As CFO recently stated order must be placed by 2018 at latest to manage new delivery and coordinate retirement of older frames.
mercure f-wtcc
 
User avatar
reidar76
Posts: 529
Joined: Sun Sep 27, 2015 5:16 pm

Re: AFKLM narrowbody fleet renewal

Wed Apr 26, 2017 7:24 am

yoni wrote:
AFKLM will order new narrowbody aircrafts by 2018 as indicated on the link below:
http://aviationweek.com/commercial-aviation/air-france-anticipates-2018-narrowbody-aircraft-decision

Currently, AF has 18 A318, 28 A19, 42 A320 and 20 A321. And KLM has 18 737-700, 27 737-800 and 5 737-900. Transavia Netherlands has 8 737-700 and 33 737-800 (some of them are quite recent)

I wouldn't be surprised if the order is divided between Airbus and Boeing, unless they intend to use only one manufacturer for both.

Who will get this huge order ? Has Bombardier got any chance, especially to replace the A318s ? Will they order the 737-10 ? or the A321 neo LR ?


KLM ordered quite a few Embraer 175/190 a few of years ago. The Embraer aircraft are replacing Fokkers.

So maybe Embraer also has a chance in this competition? I don't think Air France KLM wants to significantly increase available seats on their short haul or domestic flights, so I don't think it is likely that the A318/A319/737-700 can be replaced by the A320 or the 737-8. We are talking very short flights, many under 1 hour. The A319neo and the 737-7x MAX might not be competitive.

I could also see these combinations as a possibility:

Embraer 195-E2 and Boeing 737-8 (most likely for the KLM part of Air France KLM)
Bombardier CS100/CS300 and A320/A321 (most likely for Air France)

I don't see any chance for the 737-9 MAX. KLM is one of the very few EU airlines, if not the only one, that has the 737-900 in service. They have 5 if them, and they hardly have any more seats on the -900, probably do to the performance of the aircraft.
 
User avatar
Channex757
Posts: 2407
Joined: Sat Jun 18, 2016 7:07 am

Re: AFKLM narrowbody fleet renewal

Wed Apr 26, 2017 7:58 am

The real scrap is going to be the bottom end of the orders. Both KLM (73G and Embraers) and AF (A318, A319 and Embraers) could work a deal for one aircraft family to cover everything by massaging a few requirements. That would put the CS100 and CS300 on track and even be a possibility for the CS500 as a launch order if it can be financed.

The top end will break as it has been operating well so far. 737-8MAX for KLM and Transavia, A320/A321NEO with CFM engines for Air France.
 
User avatar
AviatorW6
Posts: 64
Joined: Sat Dec 05, 2015 11:05 pm

Re: AFKLM narrowbody fleet renewal

Wed Apr 26, 2017 8:45 am

reidar76 wrote:
I don't see any chance for the 737-9 MAX. KLM is one of the very few EU airlines, if not the only one, that has the 737-900 in service. They have 5 if them, and they hardly have any more seats on the -900, probably do to the performance of the aircraft.


KLM has the early generation (non-ER) of the 737-900 which has the same exit limit as the 737-800. According to my knowledge, there are 192 seats installed in them out of which 4 are permanently blocked in J to meet with the exit limits. I guess they would install more seats if they could.
 
User avatar
KarelXWB
Posts: 26968
Joined: Sun Jul 15, 2012 6:13 pm

Re: AFKLM narrowbody fleet renewal

Wed Apr 26, 2017 8:48 am

I can see a split order with A320s for AF and 737s for KLM.
What we leave behind is not as important as how we've lived.
 
User avatar
intotheair
Posts: 1895
Joined: Sun Aug 31, 2014 12:49 pm

Re: AFKLM narrowbody fleet renewal

Wed Apr 26, 2017 9:35 am

KarelXWB wrote:
I can see a split order with A320s for AF and 737s for KLM.


That would seemingly make the most sense, wouldn't it? The full article says that this is primarily an order to replace some of AF's older A320s and that there isn't any rush to replace the whole fleet. It also says they're not looking to replace any of KL's 737s just yet. To me, this sounds like it'll be a simple top-up of A320s for AF to gradually swap out older frames, likely with the A320neo. This doesn't sound like anything too shocking.

I don't really see a place for BBD to come in here either unless if they come up with some plan to add the CSeries in place of the A318 and/or HOP! on the larger end.
300 319 320 321 332 333 345 346 380 717 733 734 735 73G 738 739 744 752 753 762 763 772 77W 788 789 CR2 CR7 CR9 CRK Q400 E175 DC10 MD82 MD90
AA AF AS AY AZ B6 BA BR DL F9 FI GA HA KF LH MI QX SK SN SQ UA US VY WN
 
User avatar
BawliBooch
Posts: 1489
Joined: Mon Nov 28, 2016 4:24 am

Re: AFKLM narrowbody fleet renewal

Wed Apr 26, 2017 9:38 am

KLM choice of 737 was made in another era under different circumstances.

As a European airline group, AFKLM must show a preference to home-grown products, especially when they are matching or superior in every way.

I would say drop the A319/737-700 out of the mix and place a combined order for 115 A320's and 25 A321's. The A318 is more dicey. Are there routes that specifically need the A318? I am sure addl A319's or A320's could fill in.

The benefits of fleet commonality & inter-operability would be enormous. Plus Airbus might be willing to give a discount for such a large (150+ frame) order. European politicians would be happy too given the jobs it creates within the EU.
Mr.Kapoor's favorite poodle!
 
User avatar
BobleBrave
Posts: 34
Joined: Sun Jan 29, 2017 1:26 pm

Re: AFKLM narrowbody fleet renewal

Wed Apr 26, 2017 10:02 am

yoni wrote:
Currently, AF has 18 A318, 28 A19, 42 A320 and 20 A321. And KLM has 18 737-700, 27 737-800 and 5 737-900. Transavia Netherlands has 8 737-700 and 33 737-800 (some of them are quite recent)

I wouldn't be surprised if the order is divided between Airbus and Boeing, unless they intend to use only one manufacturer for both.

Who will get this huge order ? Has Bombardier got any chance, especially to replace the A318s ? Will they order the 737-10 ? or the A321 neo LR ?


Let's not forget HOP! fleet : 15 E145, 16 E170, 10 E190, 4 CRJ100, 13 CRJ700, 13 CRJ1000, 24 ATR72/42, any news about fleet renewals on that front ?
Bob le Brave
 
User avatar
FlyRow
Posts: 853
Joined: Mon Mar 21, 2016 10:05 pm

Re: AFKLM narrowbody fleet renewal

Wed Apr 26, 2017 10:32 am

BawliBooch wrote:
KLM choice of 737 was made in another era under different circumstances.

As a European airline group, AFKLM must show a preference to home-grown products, especially when they are matching or superior in every way.

I would say drop the A319/737-700 out of the mix and place a combined order for 115 A320's and 25 A321's. The A318 is more dicey. Are there routes that specifically need the A318? I am sure addl A319's or A320's could fill in.

The benefits of fleet commonality & inter-operability would be enormous. Plus Airbus might be willing to give a discount for such a large (150+ frame) order. European politicians would be happy too given the jobs it creates within the EU.


Then again, retraining all KLM pilots (and ground staff) for use op the AirBus NB will cost a .... load op money. I think a split order will work fine. Maybe only 737-8 for KLM, larger is just not justified.

I Would love to see KLM with some A321eo LR , Could open some very interesting routes in the Middle East / America / Africa.
F70-F100-RJ85-RJ70-E190-319-320-321-733-734-735-737-738-752-753-763-764-772-744-380
 
User avatar
ikolkyo
Posts: 2992
Joined: Tue Nov 05, 2013 8:43 pm

Re: AFKLM narrowbody fleet renewal

Wed Apr 26, 2017 10:57 am

Probably going to be a split order, keep both sides happy and it makes financial sense.
 
DfwRevolution
Posts: 9305
Joined: Sat Jan 09, 2010 7:31 pm

Re: AFKLM narrowbody fleet renewal

Wed Apr 26, 2017 11:02 am

BawliBooch wrote:
As a European airline group, AFKLM must show a preference to home-grown products


Says who?
I have a three post per topic limit. You're welcome to have the last word.
 
MIflyer12
Posts: 8261
Joined: Mon Feb 18, 2013 11:58 pm

Re: AFKLM narrowbody fleet renewal

Wed Apr 26, 2017 11:22 am

ikolkyo wrote:
Probably going to be a split order, keep both sides happy and it makes financial sense.


How does it make financial sense? Even across the entire group it's not a particularly large narrowbody fleet. Compare it to Delta - about 700 mainline narrowbody aircraft, and AA, with ~800.
 
Kikko19
Posts: 681
Joined: Sat Apr 22, 2017 4:45 pm

Re: AFKLM narrowbody fleet renewal

Wed Apr 26, 2017 11:29 am

doesn't the backlog times of the models a32x and 73x will play in the game? what about cs100/300/500?
 
n5u
Posts: 33
Joined: Fri Mar 18, 2016 12:49 pm

Re: AFKLM narrowbody fleet renewal

Wed Apr 26, 2017 11:46 am

Klm has already said that they want a all Boeing main line fleet. 737's,787's,777's replacing the 747;s. City Hopper will stick with the Ejets. This is old news. As far as Air France well of course they will go Airbus DUH!
 
Scorpio
Posts: 5043
Joined: Thu Oct 04, 2001 3:48 am

Re: AFKLM narrowbody fleet renewal

Wed Apr 26, 2017 11:57 am

n5u wrote:
Klm has already said that they want a all Boeing main line fleet.


Where or when have they said that?
 
User avatar
KarelXWB
Posts: 26968
Joined: Sun Jul 15, 2012 6:13 pm

Re: AFKLM narrowbody fleet renewal

Wed Apr 26, 2017 12:02 pm

n5u wrote:
Klm has already said that they want a all Boeing main line fleet. 737's,787's,777's replacing the 747;s.


KLM recently confirmed the arrival of the A350 in 2020.

https://www.flightglobal.com/news/artic ... 20-432952/
What we leave behind is not as important as how we've lived.
 
User avatar
Momo1435
Posts: 1165
Joined: Sat Aug 25, 2012 2:33 pm

Re: AFKLM narrowbody fleet renewal

Wed Apr 26, 2017 12:03 pm

n5u wrote:
Klm has already said that they want a all Boeing main line fleet. 737's,787's,777's replacing the 747;s. City Hopper will stick with the Ejets. This is old news. As far as Air France well of course they will go Airbus DUH!

The 1st A350 delivery to KLM is currently scheduled for Q1 2020

The 'talk' that KLM would go all Boeing came at the same time as the talk that Air France would not be getting the 787. KLM will not go all Boeing.

But I do expect a split order for the narrowbody fleet.
 
FGITD
Posts: 1037
Joined: Wed Jun 15, 2016 1:44 pm

Re: AFKLM narrowbody fleet renewal

Wed Apr 26, 2017 12:18 pm

BawliBooch wrote:
KLM choice of 737 was made in another era under different circumstances.

As a European airline group, AFKLM must show a preference to home-grown products, especially when they are matching or superior in every way.



I think history shows that this is far from being the case. AF clearly has shown a strong loyalty to both, as long as the aircraft fits their requirements.

They've operated every Boeing except the 717 and 757, and as far as I recall, every Airbus.

I'm sure politics play into it a bit as it does with every purchase, but they seem quite committed to finding the right aircraft, regardless of who builds it.
 
User avatar
ikolkyo
Posts: 2992
Joined: Tue Nov 05, 2013 8:43 pm

Re: AFKLM narrowbody fleet renewal

Wed Apr 26, 2017 12:24 pm

MIflyer12 wrote:
ikolkyo wrote:
Probably going to be a split order, keep both sides happy and it makes financial sense.


How does it make financial sense? Even across the entire group it's not a particularly large narrowbody fleet. Compare it to Delta - about 700 mainline narrowbody aircraft, and AA, with ~800.


Changing KLM to A320neo or AF to the MAX isn't going to be cheap. it could require mass retraining of the pilots, flight attendants and maybe even ground crew. You also have to keep in mind Transavia is partnered with KLM and operates nearly 40 737s, some very new at that. Not going to be cheap to switch them over as well.

Edit: I also left out Transavia France which operates 28 more 737-800s..
Last edited by ikolkyo on Wed Apr 26, 2017 12:30 pm, edited 2 times in total.
 
User avatar
intotheair
Posts: 1895
Joined: Sun Aug 31, 2014 12:49 pm

Re: AFKLM narrowbody fleet renewal

Wed Apr 26, 2017 12:51 pm

People keep missing the details in the article. I know some of it is behind a semi-paywall, but you can even see this above the fold. Here's what you're missing:

Air France operates an all-A320 family narrowbody aircraft fleet. A part of it is aging and needs to be replaced fairly soon, but the airline has continued to take delivery of new A320s over the past years. It does not have to renew its entire short- and medium-haul fleet within a short period of time. The airline is taking another new A320 in June, and has two more on order that will arrive by 2018.

According to Bertrand, it is not clear whether the narrowbody aircraft acquisition campaign will be done jointly with KLM, the other legacy airline brand in the Air France-KLM Group. KLM operates a much younger fleet of Boeing 737NGs that are not in need of replacement soon.

Air France-KLM typically places the orders on behalf of its operating carriers, but the A320 replacement order may at least initially be fully allocated to Air France. A larger order including later requirements of KLM would put the group into a better negotiating position vis-a-vis Airbus and Boeing. But it could require major costs later should KLM be required to switch to Airbus (or Air France to Boeing) for the short- and medium-haul operation.


It doesn't sound like KLM's fleet is under consideration here. The key issue is replacing some older A320s in AF's fleet. If they're going to gradually replace older A320s but still operate plenty of them, then it would be very surprising and unlikely (though not impossible) if AF were to suddenly switch back to 737s.
300 319 320 321 332 333 345 346 380 717 733 734 735 73G 738 739 744 752 753 762 763 772 77W 788 789 CR2 CR7 CR9 CRK Q400 E175 DC10 MD82 MD90
AA AF AS AY AZ B6 BA BR DL F9 FI GA HA KF LH MI QX SK SN SQ UA US VY WN
 
r2rho
Posts: 3096
Joined: Tue Feb 27, 2007 10:13 pm

Re: AFKLM narrowbody fleet renewal

Wed Apr 26, 2017 12:53 pm

reidar76 wrote:
I don't see any chance for the 737-9 MAX. KLM is one of the very few EU airlines, if not the only one, that has the 737-900 in service. They have 5 if them, and they hardly have any more seats on the -900, probably do to the performance of the aircraft.

KLM has the early generation (non-ER) of the 737-900 which has the same exit limit as the 737-800. According to my knowledge, there are 192 seats installed in them out of which 4 are permanently blocked in J to meet with the exit limits. I guess they would install more seats if they could.

Indeed, KL is using the few 739 as a more premium configured aircraft, not for higher density. Unlike other EU majors, KL does not have a 200+ seat narrowbody in its lineup. The -9MAX could cover that.

A split order NEO / MAX will surely be what happens. Where it gets more interesting is on the lower end, with the A318s and A319s. If a direct replacement is envisioned, CSeries, but also E195-E2, could have a chance. It will also depend on where the Hop! / mainline boundary is set. The newly redesigned 737-7.5MAX could also have a chance at KL.
I could see them getting E195-E2s for both airlines, 7.5MAX's for KL, and leaving the the A319 size at AF simply uncovered.
 
User avatar
frigatebird
Posts: 1789
Joined: Thu Jun 05, 2008 7:02 pm

Re: AFKLM narrowbody fleet renewal

Wed Apr 26, 2017 1:12 pm

intotheair wrote:
KarelXWB wrote:
I can see a split order with A320s for AF and 737s for KLM.


That would seemingly make the most sense, wouldn't it? The full article says that this is primarily an order to replace some of AF's older A320s and that there isn't any rush to replace the whole fleet. It also says they're not looking to replace any of KL's 737s just yet. To me, this sounds like it'll be a simple top-up of A320s for AF to gradually swap out older frames, likely with the A320neo. This doesn't sound like anything too shocking.

I don't really see a place for BBD to come in here either unless if they come up with some plan to add the CSeries in place of the A318 and/or HOP! on the larger end.

Agree with most of your post. The article says it's not certain KLM would be involved in the acquisition - but not ruled out either. So we might see an order to replace KL's oldest 738/9 (17 aircraft now 16-18 year old).
It will be interesting to see which aircraft actually are to replaced. Actually, AF has already phased out the bulk of their older A320s, most of them are not older than 14 years. AF does have a bunch of 20 year old A319s and A321s though. So I guess A320/A321neo would be likely IMO.

Can't see BBD or Embraer in the running either. KL's 73G are less than 10 years old, and the PW engines of the CSeries and E2 are not in their favor.

MIflyer12 wrote:
ikolkyo wrote:
Probably going to be a split order, keep both sides happy and it makes financial sense.


How does it make financial sense? Even across the entire group it's not a particularly large narrowbody fleet. Compare it to Delta - about 700 mainline narrowbody aircraft, and AA, with ~800.

You don't need 700-800 aircraft for a split order to make sense. A little less will do fine.

Momo1435 wrote:
n5u wrote:
Klm has already said that they want a all Boeing main line fleet. 737's,787's,777's replacing the 747;s. City Hopper will stick with the Ejets. This is old news. As far as Air France well of course they will go Airbus DUH!

The 1st A350 delivery to KLM is currently scheduled for Q1 2020

The 'talk' that KLM would go all Boeing came at the same time as the talk that Air France would not be getting the 787. KLM will not go all Boeing.

But I do expect a split order for the narrowbody fleet.

Well, there were indeed (unofficial) reports KL would standardize on Boeing for their WB fleet (777/787). But these plans must have been dropped. As for AF and the 787, it was actually a close call whether they would actually accept them. I think production was already underway, and deferral/cancellation was way too costly.
146,318/19/20/21, AB6,332,333,343,345,346,359,388, 722,732/3/4/5/G/8,9, 742,74E,744,752,762,763, 772,77E,773,77W,788 AT4/7,ATP,CRK,E75/90,F50/70
 
FrancisBegbie
Posts: 151
Joined: Wed Oct 19, 2016 7:22 am

Re: AFKLM narrowbody fleet renewal

Wed Apr 26, 2017 1:19 pm

r2rho wrote:
A split order NEO / MAX will surely be what happens. Where it gets more interesting is on the lower end, with the A318s and A319s. If a direct replacement is envisioned, CSeries, but also E195-E2, could have a chance. It will also depend on where the Hop! / mainline boundary is set. The newly redesigned 737-7.5MAX could also have a chance at KL.
I could see them getting E195-E2s for both airlines, 7.5MAX's for KL, and leaving the the A319 size at AF simply uncovered.


I think you're right on the split fleet. (AFKL may threaten a while to go all NEO fleet wide, KL will want to keep flying 737 so KL could be required to give up something in return to AF.)

My 2 cents:
For KL: E(2)195s to replace the 73G, 738Max, perhaps a few 739Max for busiest routes. Someone mentioned 739Max performance issues, but KL will only use them between big city pairs in Europe, so range, altitude and heat are no issues.

AF will go NEO. Maybe a rationalization with Embraers together with HOP for the A318/A319 size bracket.

As for the C-series: I don't know how they are priced compared to Embraers. Their extra range should not be a selling point within Europe and I don't see AF or KL flying deep into Africa with anything smaller than a A320NEO.
 
LewisNEO
Posts: 250
Joined: Thu Jan 05, 2017 12:08 pm

Re: AFKLM narrowbody fleet renewal

Wed Apr 26, 2017 1:52 pm

BawliBooch wrote:
KLM choice of 737 was made in another era under different circumstances.

As a European airline group, AFKLM must show a preference to home-grown products, especially when they are matching or superior in every way.

I would say drop the A319/737-700 out of the mix and place a combined order for 115 A320's and 25 A321's. The A318 is more dicey. Are there routes that specifically need the A318? I am sure addl A319's or A320's could fill in.

The benefits of fleet commonality & inter-operability would be enormous. Plus Airbus might be willing to give a discount for such a large (150+ frame) order. European politicians would be happy too given the jobs it creates within the EU.


I agree, I'd love to see KL switch to the A320neo family but that is a personal opinion. Maybe it's because I enjoy flying KLs A3303s more than its wB Boeings because those are so cramped.

However the article mentions it concerns at first AFs first A320s that would need replacement. It does not mention KL as such. That would mean a smaller order. On the other hand, if AF/KL would be able to negotiate one large order (firm/option) they would have a better position to negotiate and place an order that can be fullflilled over a larger time frame. This would reduce the costs to train pilots from the 737 to the A320 (or vice versa).

As with everything: we can speculate, time will tell the answer, eventually.
You are the wind beneath my wings.

Fokker 27, Bombardier Dash 8, Embraer 175 & 195, 727-200, 737-200 & -300 & -400 & -800, 747-400, 767-300, 767-400, DC 10-30, A320-200, A330-200, A330-300, A380.
 
User avatar
frigatebird
Posts: 1789
Joined: Thu Jun 05, 2008 7:02 pm

Re: AFKLM narrowbody fleet renewal

Wed Apr 26, 2017 1:55 pm

r2rho wrote:
reidar76 wrote:
I don't see any chance for the 737-9 MAX. KLM is one of the very few EU airlines, if not the only one, that has the 737-900 in service. They have 5 if them, and they hardly have any more seats on the -900, probably do to the performance of the aircraft.

KLM has the early generation (non-ER) of the 737-900 which has the same exit limit as the 737-800. According to my knowledge, there are 192 seats installed in them out of which 4 are permanently blocked in J to meet with the exit limits. I guess they would install more seats if they could.

Indeed, KL is using the few 739 as a more premium configured aircraft, not for higher density. Unlike other EU majors, KL does not have a 200+ seat narrowbody in its lineup. The -9MAX could cover that.

A split order NEO / MAX will surely be what happens. Where it gets more interesting is on the lower end, with the A318s and A319s. If a direct replacement is envisioned, CSeries, but also E195-E2, could have a chance. It will also depend on where the Hop! / mainline boundary is set. The newly redesigned 737-7.5MAX could also have a chance at KL.
I could see them getting E195-E2s for both airlines, 7.5MAX's for KL, and leaving the the A319 size at AF simply uncovered.

AMS is running out of slots, KL needs larger aircraft to grow because an increase of frequencies seems to be very difficult. So I do believe KL may want larger narrowbody aircraft. The 737-9 or even -10 may interesting for them. I wouldn't rule out the A321neo at KL either.

KL's 73G fleet is still very young, they will soldier on with these well into the next decade. So I don't expect a CSeries, E2 or 737-7 order.
146,318/19/20/21, AB6,332,333,343,345,346,359,388, 722,732/3/4/5/G/8,9, 742,74E,744,752,762,763, 772,77E,773,77W,788 AT4/7,ATP,CRK,E75/90,F50/70
 
anstar
Posts: 3289
Joined: Sun Nov 23, 2003 3:49 am

Re: AFKLM narrowbody fleet renewal

Wed Apr 26, 2017 2:00 pm

ikolkyo wrote:

Changing KLM to A320neo or AF to the MAX isn't going to be cheap. it could require mass retraining of the pilots, flight attendants and maybe even ground crew. You also have to keep in mind Transavia is partnered with KLM and operates nearly 40 737s, some very new at that. Not going to be cheap to switch them over as well.

Edit: I also left out Transavia France which operates 28 more 737-800s..

Whilst it may cost some money in training crews - much like changing to the 787 and soon to be A350... from a long term financial view it must make sense to streamline their joint fleets? IAG have even gone as far as harmonising alot of the the A320 fleets so they can be interchanged between group airlines in days... jumpseats, emergency equipment all harmonised across the group.
 
User avatar
ikolkyo
Posts: 2992
Joined: Tue Nov 05, 2013 8:43 pm

Re: AFKLM narrowbody fleet renewal

Wed Apr 26, 2017 2:15 pm

anstar wrote:
ikolkyo wrote:

Changing KLM to A320neo or AF to the MAX isn't going to be cheap. it could require mass retraining of the pilots, flight attendants and maybe even ground crew. You also have to keep in mind Transavia is partnered with KLM and operates nearly 40 737s, some very new at that. Not going to be cheap to switch them over as well.

Edit: I also left out Transavia France which operates 28 more 737-800s..

Whilst it may cost some money in training crews - much like changing to the 787 and soon to be A350... from a long term financial view it must make sense to streamline their joint fleets? IAG have even gone as far as harmonising alot of the the A320 fleets so they can be interchanged between group airlines in days... jumpseats, emergency equipment all harmonised across the group.


Well if that is what they want to do which aircraft would be better to use? I'd say 737 MAX, 3/4 of the groups airlines operate 737 NG. But I don't think it will happen, AF won't turn their back on the A320neo and I still believe it will be split.
 
VSMUT
Posts: 4571
Joined: Mon Aug 08, 2016 11:40 am

Re: AFKLM narrowbody fleet renewal

Wed Apr 26, 2017 2:19 pm

IMHO, it will be A320NEO all the way, maybe with HOP! taking over the lower end of the fleet [A318 and some A319] with more Embraers or other 100+ seater RJs.
KLM will end up being A320NEO as well, probably with a lot of A321NEOs in particular. 737-700s to be replaced with E-jets operated by Cityhopper or upsized to A320NEOs. The rest of the 737-800 fleet to eventually be passed on to Transavia. 737-900s will be scrapped on retirement.

:smile:
 
LY777
Posts: 2577
Joined: Fri Nov 25, 2005 6:58 pm

Is there a chance that AF goes for the 737MAX?

Tue May 02, 2017 8:53 pm

Given that KLM and Transavia uses 737NGs, do you think that the whole AF/KL group goes for 737MAX?
Flown:717,727,732,733,734,735,738,73H,742/744/748,752,753,762/2ER/763/3ER,772/77E/773/77W, 788, 789, DC8,DC10,E190,E195,MD83,MD88, L1011, A3B2,A319,A320-100/200,A321,A332/A333,A343,A388
 
gregn21
Posts: 277
Joined: Wed Jan 06, 2016 10:27 pm

Re: Is there a chance that AF goes for the 737MAX?

Tue May 02, 2017 9:17 pm

In my opinion, AF would never go all 737. That being said, I personally do think that will operate the 737 MAX. AF has a sort of obligation to operate Airbus planes, and because of that, they will order the A320NEO. It is odd that they have not ordered the NEO yet, so I think that they are unimpressed with it. Basically, if Boeing gives them a good deal, I think AF will go for the MAX.
 
TransGlobalGold
Posts: 248
Joined: Fri Feb 10, 2017 10:40 pm

Re: Is there a chance that AF goes for the 737MAX?

Tue May 02, 2017 9:37 pm

gregn21 wrote:
In my opinion, AF would never go all 737. That being said, I personally do think that will operate the 737 MAX. AF has a sort of obligation to operate Airbus planes, and because of that, they will order the A320NEO. It is odd that they have not ordered the NEO yet, so I think that they are unimpressed with it. Basically, if Boeing gives them a good deal, I think AF will go for the MAX.


I'm not sure obligation is the correct word. Pressure might be better, at least for narrow bodies. I suspect Airbus isn't terribly happy that AF flies seventy 777's and only 34 Airbus widebodies. Not including the 787s coming online.
 
User avatar
MrHMSH
Posts: 2676
Joined: Sat Oct 12, 2013 7:32 pm

Re: Is there a chance that AF goes for the 737MAX?

Tue May 02, 2017 10:08 pm

LY777 wrote:
Given that KLM and Transavia uses 737NGs, do you think that the whole AF/KL group goes for 737MAX?


Unlikely, but not impossible. KL is definitely the better run, but I don't think that's down to fleet choices.

gregn21 wrote:
In my opinion, AF would never go all 737. That being said, I personally do think that will operate the 737 MAX. AF has a sort of obligation to operate Airbus planes, and because of that, they will order the A320NEO. It is odd that they have not ordered the NEO yet, so I think that they are unimpressed with it. Basically, if Boeing gives them a good deal, I think AF will go for the MAX.


AF, like BA, LH and IB tend to hang on to planes for a while. I'm not sure AF not ordering the A320neo yet means they're unimpressed with it.
 
VSMUT
Posts: 4571
Joined: Mon Aug 08, 2016 11:40 am

Re: Is there a chance that AF goes for the 737MAX?

Tue May 02, 2017 10:20 pm

Unlikely, even the MC-21 has better chances. IMHO, it would more likely be KLM that transitions to the A320NEO.
 
User avatar
Dutchy
Posts: 11889
Joined: Sat Nov 03, 2007 1:25 am

Re: Is there a chance that AF goes for the 737MAX?

Tue May 02, 2017 10:25 pm

I think this one is an interesting to watch. If is a winner takes all order, then I would give the 737 a good chance, why not? My feeling is that this will be a split order, the fleets are large enough and there is cost associated with changing equipment. So that gives the A320NEO a head start with Air France and the MAX with Transavia and KLM, KLM might switch though, although they seem to prefer Boeing a/c.
Many happy landings, greetings from The Netherlands!
 
727200
Posts: 633
Joined: Fri Mar 17, 2017 5:31 pm

Re: Is there a chance that AF goes for the 737MAX?

Tue May 02, 2017 11:00 pm

I don't know, Airbus is just a short hop down the road. I would think with nationalism and EU concerns its Airbus to lose.

Who is online

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos