metaldirtnskin

Re: United outlines changes to make flying "friendly" again

Thu Apr 27, 2017 7:35 pm

lightsaber wrote:
United is inflexible currently. That is an issue. Since UA is inflexible with employees, they do not feel empowered to be flexible with passengers.

There is a culture issue at UA. I stopped flying them in 2005 after 3 flights with the worst service, ironically after my 4th to last flight with them.

Reality is, with the US3, unless you are triple Platinum Uber tier, you aren't a customer of value. It is why many customers like B6, WAN, and AS/VX.

Yes, NK and G4 have horrid complaint rates, but the use too many gotcha fees and sell a minimal product.

This is it in a nutshell for me. All those Platinum Uber tier people weren't born with 50 million miles; if an airline/hotel/whatever burns you while you're still working your way there, you're not coming back. The question is whether UA's culture will really change, and whether the change will be felt where it counts.

I suspect the "empowering employees to solve problems" part was the missing piece, and is what will solve this going forward (if anything can). And, no, all 80,000 employees are not rotten, and neither are all of the millions of passengers entitled jerks. But (as either employee or customer) if you go in assuming the best and are treated like you are nothing, it won't be an experience you remember fondly.

ILUVDC10S

Thu Apr 27, 2017 7:43 pm

aviationjunky wrote:
Quite honestly, I hope my UA/DL flights are overbooked so I can rack up 10's of thousands of dollars in free travel. That would be amazing! Get denied boarding on a $150 LAX-SEA flight, only to get $10,000 for it? I'll take one for the team!

Wonders on how long before the IRS gets their hands into this matter and classify this Taxable income. or taxed as a gift tax.
And the paperwork the airlines will have to fill out for transactions of 10,000 per passenger. this will get costly on the back office wont it?

VC10er

Thu Apr 27, 2017 7:47 pm

I am sure many of you got this today. I believe that (while very long) it is a high quality admission of wrong doing, I believe Mr Munoz has sincere feelings of contrition and "shame" (on top of being concerned about money, which as CEO he needs to be mindful of, it's a business). However, I believe I got this because I am 1k. I think this should have gone to every email in their database, in the appropriate languages. EVERYBODY. I wrote to them and spoke to them saying exactly that. I think until every person with a MP number gets something like this...it will just fester even longer.

Dear VC10er,

Each flight you take with us represents an important promise we make to you, our customer. It's not simply that we make sure you reach your destination safely and on time, but also that you will be treated with the highest level of service and the deepest sense of dignity and respect.

Earlier this month, we broke that trust when a passenger was forcibly removed from one of our planes. We can never say we are sorry enough for what occurred, but we also know meaningful actions will speak louder than words.

For the past several weeks, we have been urgently working to answer two questions: How did this happen, and how can we do our best to ensure this never happens again?

It happened because our corporate policies were placed ahead of our shared values. Our procedures got in the way of our employees doing what they know is right.

Fixing that problem starts now with changing how we fly, serve and respect our customers. This is a turning point for all of us here at United – and as CEO, it's my responsibility to make sure that we learn from this experience and redouble our efforts to put our customers at the center of everything we do.

That’s why we announced that we will no longer ask law enforcement to remove customers from a flight and customers will not be required to give up their seat once on board – except in matters of safety or security.

We also know that despite our best efforts, when things don’t go the way they should, we need to be there for you to make things right. There are several new ways we’re going to do just that.

We will increase incentives for voluntary rebooking up to $10,000 and will be eliminating the red tape on permanently lost bags with a new "no-questions-asked" $1,500 reimbursement policy. We will also be rolling out a new app for our employees that will enable them to provide on-the-spot goodwill gestures in the form of miles, travel credit and other amenities when your experience with us misses the mark. You can learn more about these commitments and many other changes at hub.united.com.

While these actions are important, I have found myself reflecting more broadly on the role we play and the responsibilities we have to you and the communities we serve.

I believe we must go further in redefining what United's corporate citizenship looks like in our society. If our chief good as a company is only getting you to and from your destination, that would show a lack of moral imagination on our part. You can and ought to expect more from us, and we intend to live up to those higher expectations in the way we embody social responsibility and civic leadership everywhere we operate. I hope you will see that pledge express itself in our actions going forward, of which these initial, though important, changes are merely a first step.

Our goal should be nothing less than to make you truly proud to say, "I fly United."

Ultimately, the measure of our success is your satisfaction and the past several weeks have moved us to go further than ever before in elevating your experience with us. I know our 87,000 employees have taken this message to heart, and they are as energized as ever to fulfill our promise to serve you better with each flight and earn the trust you’ve given us.

We are working harder than ever for the privilege to serve you and I know we will be stronger, better and the customer-focused airline you expect and deserve.

With Great Gratitude,
Oscar Munoz
Oscar Munoz
CEO
To Most the Sky is The Limit, For me, the Sky is Home.

Mir

Thu Apr 27, 2017 7:48 pm

aviationjunky wrote:
Quite honestly, I hope my UA/DL flights are overbooked so I can rack up 10's of thousands of dollars in free travel. That would be amazing! Get denied boarding on a $150 LAX-SEA flight, only to get $10,000 for it? I'll take one for the team!

You're going to lose money on that scheme.
7 billion, one nation, imagination...it's a beautiful day

jumbojet

Thu Apr 27, 2017 7:51 pm

flyguy84 wrote:
[Empower employees to immediately resolve customer service-issues. United will roll out a new app that will allow employees to provide passengers with compensation (financial and otherwise) directly from their company issued iPhones. Flight attendants are expected to have this capability by July while the app will be available to gate agents later in the year.

FYI Delta FA's have had this capability for years now. I have been on a few Delta flights, some even dating back 3 or 4 years ago, that involved some customer service issues and after talking to one of the flight attendants about it, what I am guessing was some sort of a handheld tablet was able to immediately issue me my choice of miles or a voucher.

Why this has taken UA so long to come up with speaks volumes of the inept state of customer service that has plagued UA for years and years.

If customer service mattered to UA, something like this or equivalent to it would have been introduced a long time ago. This is not something for the fanboys to get all excited about. UA still has a lot of rough seas to navigate through.

manny

Thu Apr 27, 2017 7:57 pm

At the rate at which United is apologizing for all these PR nightmares, I hope they have an app that issues apologies.

jumbojet

Thu Apr 27, 2017 7:58 pm

VC10er wrote:
I am sure many of you got this today. I believe that (while very long) it is a high quality admission of wrong doing, I believe Mr Munoz has sincere feelings of contrition and "shame" (on top of being concerned about money, which as CEO he needs to be mindful of, it's a business). However, I believe I got this because I am 1k. I think this should have gone to every email in their database, in the appropriate languages. EVERYBODY. I wrote to them and spoke to them saying exactly that. I think until every person with a MP number gets something like this...it will just fester even longer.

Dear VC10er,

Each flight you take with us represents an important promise we make to you, our customer. It's not simply that we make sure you reach your destination safely and on time, but also that you will be treated with the highest level of service and the deepest sense of dignity and respect.

Earlier this month, we broke that trust when a passenger was forcibly removed from one of our planes. We can never say we are sorry enough for what occurred, but we also know meaningful actions will speak louder than words.

For the past several weeks, we have been urgently working to answer two questions: How did this happen, and how can we do our best to ensure this never happens again?

It happened because our corporate policies were placed ahead of our shared values. Our procedures got in the way of our employees doing what they know is right.

Fixing that problem starts now with changing how we fly, serve and respect our customers. This is a turning point for all of us here at United – and as CEO, it's my responsibility to make sure that we learn from this experience and redouble our efforts to put our customers at the center of everything we do.

That’s why we announced that we will no longer ask law enforcement to remove customers from a flight and customers will not be required to give up their seat once on board – except in matters of safety or security.

We also know that despite our best efforts, when things don’t go the way they should, we need to be there for you to make things right. There are several new ways we’re going to do just that.

We will increase incentives for voluntary rebooking up to $10,000 and will be eliminating the red tape on permanently lost bags with a new "no-questions-asked" $1,500 reimbursement policy. We will also be rolling out a new app for our employees that will enable them to provide on-the-spot goodwill gestures in the form of miles, travel credit and other amenities when your experience with us misses the mark. You can learn more about these commitments and many other changes at hub.united.com.

While these actions are important, I have found myself reflecting more broadly on the role we play and the responsibilities we have to you and the communities we serve.

I believe we must go further in redefining what United's corporate citizenship looks like in our society. If our chief good as a company is only getting you to and from your destination, that would show a lack of moral imagination on our part. You can and ought to expect more from us, and we intend to live up to those higher expectations in the way we embody social responsibility and civic leadership everywhere we operate. I hope you will see that pledge express itself in our actions going forward, of which these initial, though important, changes are merely a first step.

Our goal should be nothing less than to make you truly proud to say, "I fly United."

Ultimately, the measure of our success is your satisfaction and the past several weeks have moved us to go further than ever before in elevating your experience with us. I know our 87,000 employees have taken this message to heart, and they are as energized as ever to fulfill our promise to serve you better with each flight and earn the trust you’ve given us.

We are working harder than ever for the privilege to serve you and I know we will be stronger, better and the customer-focused airline you expect and deserve.

With Great Gratitude,
Oscar Munoz
Oscar Munoz
CEO

wow, what a bunch of BS. First off, not one word of this was actually thought out by OM. You can thank the high priced, high powered attorneys at UA. 2nd, he says,

UA's corporate policies are to screw the passenger at all cost. UA doesn't have any shared values and if they think that's going to change overnight, they got another thing coming to them. But hey, at least OM didn't start out this letter by addressing everyone as 'Team' :roll:

AirKevin

Thu Apr 27, 2017 8:01 pm

VC10er wrote:
I am sure many of you got this today. I believe that (while very long) it is a high quality admission of wrong doing, I believe Mr Munoz has sincere feelings of contrition and "shame" (on top of being concerned about money, which as CEO he needs to be mindful of, it's a business). However, I believe I got this because I am 1k.

Must be, as I haven't gotten any e-mails, and although I have a Mileage Plus number, I am not 1K.
Captain Kevin

jetmatt777

Thu Apr 27, 2017 8:03 pm

jumbojet wrote:
VC10er wrote:

Dear VC10er,

With Great Gratitude,
Oscar Munoz
Oscar Munoz
CEO

wow, what a bunch of BS. First off, not one word of this was actually thought out by OM. You can thank the high priced, high powered attorneys at UA. 2nd, he says,

UA's corporate policies are to screw the passenger at all cost. UA doesn't have any shared values and if they think that's going to change overnight, they got another thing coming to them. But hey, at least OM didn't start out this letter by addressing everyone as 'Team' :roll:

jumbojet, if you have nothing nice to say don't say anything at all. Frankly, your consistent, relentless crapping on every United topic is getting very, very old and is turning good discussions into bad discussions.
Lighten up while you still can, don't even try to understand, just find a place to make your stand and take it easy

DIRECTFLT

Thu Apr 27, 2017 8:23 pm

SFOtoORD wrote:
The initial list of changes was always likely to be modest. The real test is what they change in 3 months, 6 months, a year and multiple years in the future. Broken culture isn't changed with a few new policies. If they are serious it will need to be a sustained effort.

Personally I'd prefer a modest start where they fulfill all of their promises and add more later rather than making big promises that can't be fully kept.

It's a good start. Yes, let's see the trajectory of all this 6 months down the road.
Smoothest Ride so far ~ AA A300B4-600R ~~ Favorite Aviation Author ~ Robert J. Serling

BobPatterson

Thu Apr 27, 2017 8:26 pm

The list of actions being taken by United constitute a good start toward correcting numerous problems. But there is one glaring "improvement" that is less than one-half of the corrective action that is needed. From the article linked to by the OP:

["Ensure crews are booked onto a flight at least 60 minutes prior to departure." In situations where no open seats are available, all crew members traveling for work must be booked 60 minutes before departure. This policy went into effect April 14.]

This change in policy is merely to ensure that, in a situation where a flight has been fully booked, the airline's own employees can continue to bump booked passengers, but at the gate rather than after boarding. The airline continues to say, "The passenger is not as valuable to us as our own internal needs. The customer does not come first with us".

To ensure that seats are available for airline crew movements, airlines should block off some seats, on every flight. If those seats are not needed by one hour before flight time, they may be released to stand-by passengers, nor-revs, or whomever.

With the exception of an unavoidable down-gauge of aircraft, there should NEVER be a situation where a fully booked passenger does not get to fly.

If necessary, this requirement should be embodied in LAW.

Period.
Facts are fragile things. Treat them with care. Sources are important. Alternative facts do not exist.

ILUVDC10S

Thu Apr 27, 2017 8:27 pm

jumbojet wrote:
flyguy84 wrote:
[Empower employees to immediately resolve customer service-issues. United will roll out a new app that will allow employees to provide passengers with compensation (financial and otherwise) directly from their company issued iPhones. Flight attendants are expected to have this capability by July while the app will be available to gate agents later in the year.

FYI Delta FA's have had this capability for years now. I have been on a few Delta flights, some even dating back 3 or 4 years ago, that involved some customer service issues and after talking to one of the flight attendants about it, what I am guessing was some sort of a handheld tablet was able to immediately issue me my choice of miles or a voucher.

Why this has taken UA so long to come up with speaks volumes of the inept state of customer service that has plagued UA for years and years.

If customer service mattered to UA, something like this or equivalent to it would have been introduced a long time ago. This is not something for the fanboys to get all excited about. UA still has a lot of rough seas to navigate through.

Question How does that employee do that with a tablet or I Pad/Phone without having a printer to print the voucher or miles voucher off? I do not think that a FA is going to have a portable ATB printer to print off vouchers. I know NWA used to give its employees SRP ( Service Recovery Packs) to give out. And NWA issued blank checks to the ATC's to compensate passengers with. I remember in PVD I was given a check for damage to one of my checked bags. Was nice to be able walk across the street to the bank and cash the check in matter of minutes and go up the street to Ann & Hope and get a new bag and replacement clothing damaged and /or missing . Also issued a check once in DTW for a ticket dispute- ah the times where NWA gave local control of issuance of things like that sadly someone came into NWA and changed that so everything went thru MSP and a over thought process had to take place before a check or compensation was given to you .

jumbojet

Thu Apr 27, 2017 8:33 pm

jetmatt777 wrote:
[, .

jumbojet, if you have nothing nice to say don't say anything at all. Frankly, your consistent, relentless crapping on every United topic is getting very, very old and is turning good discussions into bad discussions.

I have plenty of nice things to say just that none of them can be said about UA. Unfortunately, just about every discussion regarding UA in the past few weeks has been bad from the get go, not because I turned a good discussion into a bad one. And if you think this is a good topic, that remains to be seen but there are plenty of us, me included, who are very skeptical about anything coming out of the UA wheelhouse.

DCA-ROCguy

Thu Apr 27, 2017 8:34 pm

Not reading through the 61 replies on this thread or the 2,100 on the other, just my .02.

Airlines should compensate bumped passengers with *cash* credited to the card used to pay for the airfare. Period. NOT vouchers, travel credit, etc. The passenger, not the airline, gets to value their time, sorry. That means *money* the passenger can spend as they please.

If the airlines don't make this change, Congress should make it for them.

Jim
Need a new airline paint scheme? Better call Saul! (Bass that is)

ojjunior

Thu Apr 27, 2017 8:38 pm

flyguy84 wrote:
Provide employees with additional annual training.
Empower employees to immediately resolve customer service-issues.

So, make the employees do what they are paid for is some sort of change in what world??

DIRECTFLT

Thu Apr 27, 2017 8:40 pm

ILUVDC10S wrote:
As far as boarding YES you board the front first then middle then the back this way you have no passenger in 38-A placing his or her bag above seat 12-A You ensure each section is seated and bags stowed before next section touches the plane.

BUSTED !!! :blush:

That was what I used to do. I'd put my heavy carry on in an overhead near the front of the plane, so I wouldn't have to lug it on my back as far, when I deboarded.
Smoothest Ride so far ~ AA A300B4-600R ~~ Favorite Aviation Author ~ Robert J. Serling

CriticalPoint

Thu Apr 27, 2017 8:40 pm

jumbojet wrote:
jetmatt777 wrote:
[, .

I have plenty of nice things to say just that none of them can be said about UA. Unfortunately, just about every discussion regarding UA in the past few weeks has been bad from the get go, not because I turned a good discussion into a bad one. And if you think this is a good topic, that remains to be seen but there are plenty of us, me included, who are very skeptical about anything coming out of the UA wheelhouse.

Then why do you even care? Why do you even read a United thread? We know you hate United I'm not sure if it is because seat 80K is different or what. .....

Keith2004

Thu Apr 27, 2017 8:54 pm

Don't feed the troll!

I won't even mention who it is but I think they are honestly joking to get reactions with nonsense posts about fictitious aviation industry notions :spin:

On topic good for United, I wonder if the $10,000 max was influenced by delta 8-)

United1

Thu Apr 27, 2017 9:02 pm

If anyone is interested here is the full document UA released today regarding changes they either have made or will be changing.

http://apps.washingtonpost.com/g/docume ... port/2418/
I know the voices in my head aren't real but sometimes their ideas are just awesome!!!

Blimpie

Thu Apr 27, 2017 9:06 pm

flyguy84 wrote:
ILUVDC10S wrote:
1. What would have been better would have been elimination of the carry on sizers at the TSA checkpoints. Since those sizers force most FAA Authorized carry on bags made by the manufacturers not allowed to pass thru the x ray machine That was a United mandated item as you ALL know!
2. Also elimination of checked bag fees.
3. Bring back the 70 pound bag limit.
4. Bring back free meals for all flights more than 1 hour during normal meal times and yes in economy (coach class) - There is no need to be fancy a meat and taters meal that fills you up to keep you sane yes I would go for that !
5. Bring back the 2 carry on plus personal item for carry on baggage and 50 pound limit per bag .
6. Bring back giving full cans of soda inflight and please do not open the can IF i wanted it opened I would open it myself I am not a invalid!
7. By all means please put your soda cans thru a washer before placing then in the catering coolers Tired of having filthy soda cans from restocking the carts with dirty items YUCK !
8. Instead of mandating that employees are checked in 60 minutes before the flight have it be 24 hours- notify employees you may be subjected to removal for a fare paying passenger so plan accordingly for alternate travel plans Removal would happen 180 minutes prior to departure since yes most connecting flights are in the air and yes you will know what you have coming inbound so there is NO excuses period !
9. End the practice of charging for seats such as aisle window or front of the plane since I have been subjected to on AA where I was buying a ticket from ORD-MSP and was ofered the low fare and no seats to assign me at that fare so I was forced to buy a seat - Thats bait and switch and double charging!.
10. increase seat width and leg space .
11. take out those entertainment systems that hog the under seat storage space you can place then elsewhere in the aircraft and not in a overhead bin also those plastic spacers in the overhead bins need to be removed you know those at the front of the bin that prevent you from sliding in your roller bag without a fight !
12. Bring back the rectangle overhead bins with no partitions between bins internally get rid of those oval or strange angle shaped bins You want to know why you have issues with carry ons and getting flights out on time that is one of your answers period plain and simple !
13. Use my process for Overbooking end of story.
14. Bring back the seat number boarding scheme end the group numbers and just board in 3 waves for coach do front of coach first then middle then back - one wave for first. If you do not board when your boarding wave is called you loose your seat ! that will end the wandering around the terminal or loitering for the last minute to board and will force connecting flight to get a sense of urgency to get to the hub on time so you can get your connections to their gates on time for boarding when they need to board.
15. Work with local ATC to get their act together act with sense of urgency to get planes in and out as quickly as possible.
16. By all means Ramp workers please clean up the gate after you do that flight so the next plane can get in without waiting for you to remove carts , bag loaders and bin loaders and company owned cars or vans ! that ticks me off like no end!
17. Management please act proactive ensure that you have staff ready to service a early arrival . If you have to change the fricken gate to get that plane in - for those fuel saving people well here is one place that you can work on right ? why be so inflexible to only place that plane at THAT gate if you have a open gate use that one let the one coming in next use the other one easy enough huh ?
This is just a partial list more can come later depending on feedback .

A majority of this is not feasible. Pretty laughable in my opinion.

To be honest, I thought he was being sarcastic.
Now get the hell off of my lawn your dang kids!

Tango-Bravo

Thu Apr 27, 2017 9:08 pm

slcdeltarumd11 wrote:
Empower employees to immediately resolve customer service-issues.

...Lets see if this is just corporate talk, or if they actually allow them to resolve issues.

My vote goes to the former.

ojjunior

Thu Apr 27, 2017 9:08 pm

Meanwhile doctor Dao's pocket suddenly became full...
http://fortune.com/2017/04/27/david-dao-united-airlines-settlement/

ILUVDC10S

Thu Apr 27, 2017 9:15 pm

DIRECTFLT wrote:
ILUVDC10S wrote:
As far as boarding YES you board the front first then middle then the back this way you have no passenger in 38-A placing his or her bag above seat 12-A You ensure each section is seated and bags stowed before next section touches the plane.

BUSTED !!! :blush:

That was what I used to do. I'd put my heavy carry on in an overhead near the front of the plane, so I wouldn't have to lug it on my back as far, when I deboarded.

Thought that would fish out the Guilty ones LOL. Guess you were the one they called to take your bag back to your seat area to allow that space for the passengers in that seat row.

ILUVDC10S

Thu Apr 27, 2017 9:19 pm

Blimpie wrote:
flyguy84 wrote:
ILUVDC10S wrote:
1. What would have been better would have been elimination of the carry on sizers at the TSA checkpoints. Since those sizers force most FAA Authorized carry on bags made by the manufacturers not allowed to pass thru the x ray machine That was a United mandated item as you ALL know!
2. Also elimination of checked bag fees.
3. Bring back the 70 pound bag limit.
4. Bring back free meals for all flights more than 1 hour during normal meal times and yes in economy (coach class) - There is no need to be fancy a meat and taters meal that fills you up to keep you sane yes I would go for that !
5. Bring back the 2 carry on plus personal item for carry on baggage and 50 pound limit per bag .
6. Bring back giving full cans of soda inflight and please do not open the can IF i wanted it opened I would open it myself I am not a invalid!
7. By all means please put your soda cans thru a washer before placing then in the catering coolers Tired of having filthy soda cans from restocking the carts with dirty items YUCK !
8. Instead of mandating that employees are checked in 60 minutes before the flight have it be 24 hours- notify employees you may be subjected to removal for a fare paying passenger so plan accordingly for alternate travel plans Removal would happen 180 minutes prior to departure since yes most connecting flights are in the air and yes you will know what you have coming inbound so there is NO excuses period !
9. End the practice of charging for seats such as aisle window or front of the plane since I have been subjected to on AA where I was buying a ticket from ORD-MSP and was ofered the low fare and no seats to assign me at that fare so I was forced to buy a seat - Thats bait and switch and double charging!.
10. increase seat width and leg space .
11. take out those entertainment systems that hog the under seat storage space you can place then elsewhere in the aircraft and not in a overhead bin also those plastic spacers in the overhead bins need to be removed you know those at the front of the bin that prevent you from sliding in your roller bag without a fight !
12. Bring back the rectangle overhead bins with no partitions between bins internally get rid of those oval or strange angle shaped bins You want to know why you have issues with carry ons and getting flights out on time that is one of your answers period plain and simple !
13. Use my process for Overbooking end of story.
14. Bring back the seat number boarding scheme end the group numbers and just board in 3 waves for coach do front of coach first then middle then back - one wave for first. If you do not board when your boarding wave is called you loose your seat ! that will end the wandering around the terminal or loitering for the last minute to board and will force connecting flight to get a sense of urgency to get to the hub on time so you can get your connections to their gates on time for boarding when they need to board.
15. Work with local ATC to get their act together act with sense of urgency to get planes in and out as quickly as possible.
16. By all means Ramp workers please clean up the gate after you do that flight so the next plane can get in without waiting for you to remove carts , bag loaders and bin loaders and company owned cars or vans ! that ticks me off like no end!
17. Management please act proactive ensure that you have staff ready to service a early arrival . If you have to change the fricken gate to get that plane in - for those fuel saving people well here is one place that you can work on right ? why be so inflexible to only place that plane at THAT gate if you have a open gate use that one let the one coming in next use the other one easy enough huh ?
This is just a partial list more can come later depending on feedback .

A majority of this is not feasible. Pretty laughable in my opinion.

To be honest, I thought he was being sarcastic.

Actually quite serious like as serious like a heart attack. These items are just the beginning . dang I should send a invoice to the airlines for my services LOL kidding !

dampfnudel

Thu Apr 27, 2017 9:25 pm

TransGlobalGold wrote:
dampfnudel wrote:
Well done. This should be standard practice with all airlines.

It should be regardless of what happened with the recent debacle. "Well done" should have always been the norm in terms of service. Not after your company is crucified in the media.

Unfortunately, it usually takes a fire on the backside to make a company do the right thing with customers.
A313 332 343 B703 712 722 732 73G 738 739 741 742 744 752 762 76E 764 772 AT5 CR9 D10 DHH DHT F27 GRM L10 M83 TU5

AA AI CO CL DE DL EA HA KL LH N7 PA PQ SK RO TW UA YR

delta747tlv

Thu Apr 27, 2017 9:49 pm

You think FAs are underpaid but are advocating for them to be shoved in motels by the airport so you can pay less and get more

ILUVDC10S wrote:
CriticalPoint wrote:
ILUVDC10S wrote:
Respectfully- Those X ray machine barriers were a United thing. NWA/DL/CO/US/TW/AA all balked at UAL for doing this.
Yes you can place multiple 50 plus pound bags in a overhead bin I have gone with 50 pound bags for YEARS not a issue with millions of miles flown on multiple airlines too.
Your choice to live in a far flung city and based in another Odd that the airlines allows such practice.
And Airlines did buy different Overhead bins than the standard Rectangle bins with a rectangle door and some airlines did add a plastic round piece to the front of the bin to limit bags and size open up a 757 bin and you will see the round plastic thing at the edge the FA's claim it makes roller bag storage better UH NO it limits the size of the bag and amount of bags you can place in the bin and yes airlines did add plastic partitions between the bins or ordered seperated bins with tub like bins where you are trying to place a square in a round hole not smart I say huh ?
As far as boarding YES you board the front first then middle then the back this way you have no passenger in 38-A placing his or her bag above seat 12-A You ensure each section is seated and bags stowed before next section touches the plane .
This way of boarding will ensure passenger urgency to get to the gate and be ready for boarding so on and so forth. ensuring a on time departure.
As far as ATC yes they can get planes in faster and get them out quicker there is no need to overthink things and keep safety #1.
Well for instance you are on AA 1445 PVD-ORD and you are scheduled to arrive at gate K-1 in ORD well Gate K-1 is being occupied by a flight that is being delayed due to lack of urgency and there is K-15 open I say take it ! since AA-500 from MIA is still a hour and half out and that plane is to go out again to DFW before MIA plane arrives by all means use gate K-15 instead of keeping that one empty , and do not tell me in all of your travels you have not been subjected to a gate change ! its part of traveling Get used to it I have and I am here to tell you about it .

You should start your own airline. I wish you luck.

I would like airlines to bring back what they took away from us passengers thats all. meanwhile not tightening their belts like each and every business out there Airlines are not exempt from belt tightening cut out expenses on the non passenger items before cutting the passenger side of the equation. I see places where things could be cut and changed. Processes and procedures changed so on and so forth .
I do think that FA's are underpaid though. And I do think that the pay should start once you arrive at the Airport not the way pay is done now.
Onward and Upward .

Boeing778X

Thu Apr 27, 2017 10:34 pm

A huge embarrassment for UA to even have a need to address some of these issues! However, I'm not seeing anything about addressing interaction with the customers. This whole list seems, at best, disingenuous.

They should add this!:

-We will reaffirm our commitment to our customers, work hard to rebuild a culture of dignity and respect, and improve the quality of our products and service through feedback so that the flying public can be better served going forward.

But, I suppose, what I'm proposing is an impracticality. As an FA, I work hard to ensure my customers are safe, comfortable and well cared for, going to extra mile whenever I can. Unfortunately for me, I am probably in a minority of airline employees in this country with such a philosophy. I myself have worked with and interacted with airline employees that do need unions to maintain their positions, as they could not survive on their own, on account of surely, grouchy and indifferent attitudes. The worst cases I've seen are people who otherwise hate people, hate their jobs and don't enjoy what they do. And that's just AA. UA is known, almost legendary, for such interactions.

As such, I see the proposed changes above changing little to nothing in terms to the quality of the service or experience.
Last edited by Boeing778X on Thu Apr 27, 2017 10:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
United Airlines: $#!ttin' On Everyone Since 1931

PlanesNTrains

Thu Apr 27, 2017 10:38 pm

I think to a certain degree you will see change at UA because the employees can see what's going on in the media every bit as much as the public can. Most of them will understand that they need to get onboard, as managers that looked the other way or encouraged the negative behavior will not want to be on the street, so they themselves will be changing their tune.
-Dave

MAX’d out on MAX threads. If you are starting a thread, and it’s about the MAX - stop. There’s already a thread that covers it.

PlanesNTrains

Thu Apr 27, 2017 10:42 pm

jetmatt777 wrote:

What's amazing is how quick he is to jump in with multiple posts on the UA threads - all incredibly negative - yet in the ATL meltdown thread DL did a great job, and in the thread with the poor guy who they banned from Delta for having to use the restroom - well, he's nowhere to be found. lol
-Dave

MAX’d out on MAX threads. If you are starting a thread, and it’s about the MAX - stop. There’s already a thread that covers it.

ILUVDC10S

Thu Apr 27, 2017 11:45 pm

[quote="delta747tlv"]You think FAs are underpaid but are advocating for them to be shoved in motels by the airport so you can pay less and get more

Nothing wrong with Airport hotels nada! Yes I think FA's should be paid more. Staying in a hotel on business has nothing to do with Wages nada . When working on my dime You do not get the Tai Majal ! You get a place to place your head, maybe watch a few minutes of TV grab a bite to eat shower relax get up the next Morning shower grab the continental breakfast in various forms at the hotel and get into the shuttle van post haste and make your way to the airport so you can get going with the next working day. As stated earlier you are not on vacation you are working note the BIG difference. If you want to visit that city on your off time more power to you. I expect a fully rested dry crew not one that has been parting to half past three in the Clubs and expect to be legal to work in a few hours. Again you are on my dime as a passenger and as a employer too. Think there is a air of entitlement that exists. Since you are posting with a DL Handle what base are you at? If I were you I would check out DTW's Fairfield the Choice Hotels Comfort, Quality Inns the Super 8 and the Days Inn. ORD Best Western on Busse Road Elk Grove Village Il, Comfort Inn Revere (BOS) Holiday inn Express Saugas (BOS) those hotels stated above are clean safe and will give you a excellent nights sleep and yes bed bug free to rest yer mind .
I still have not heard a decent reason elsewise. Yes I have seen those private bus limos come in and sweep airline crews up and take you all downtown BOS, NYC etc etc.
And yet when the case for putting up a displaced passenger due to IRROPS or DBC VOL we get the hotels that I stated above and You go to the Ritz? uh okay again see a disconnect here entitlement respectfully whats good for a passenger is good for a airline crew in my eyes.
Passengers getting shafted because of expenses of the airline end of story .
Plenty of things were taken away from us yet more is added to you . And wonders why the passengers are so fricken angry now we are being nickel and dimed or dollared to death for little to no service or passenger benefits I respect and love you all FYI ! Some may not see it that way but I do.
Do not you think its time for the good of all to tighten the belts a little like us passengers have to huh ? Stop cutting things from us passengers and you will have a better behaved traveling public and a better working environment enough of the no you cant do that or this and use positive thinking to get a better result.

jumbojet

Thu Apr 27, 2017 11:51 pm

PlanesNTrains wrote:
I think to a certain degree you will see change at UA because the employees can see what's going on in the media every bit as much as the public can. Most of them will understand that they need to get onboard, as managers that looked the other way or encouraged the negative behavior will not want to be on the street, so they themselves will be changing their tune.

All due respect but its next to impossible to change the culture of a company and that's especially true for those employees who have been with UA for the longest. Its easy to say the things that Munoz came out with will work but lets be honest with each other, these changes should have already been imbedded in UA's blood stream a long time ago. While its great that gate agents will have more at their disposal to offer more money for VDB's, will they be actually willing to actually offer more? Or, will they be fearful of upper management backlash for doling out thousands in VDB $$$. What United really needs to understand is that the passengers are what keeps the company in business and paychecks coming to the employees and the lower elites and the folks flying in coach need to be treated a lot better.

PlanesNTrains

Thu Apr 27, 2017 11:56 pm

jumbojet wrote:
PlanesNTrains wrote:

All due respect but its next to impossible to change the culture of a company and that's especially true for those employees who have been with UA for the longest. Its easy to say the things that Munoz came out with will work but lets be honest with each other, these changes should have already been imbedded in UA's blood stream a long time ago. While its great that gate agents will have more at their disposal to offer more money for VDB's, will they be actually willing to actually offer more? Or, will they be fearful of upper management backlash for doling out thousands in VDB $$$. What United really needs to understand is that the passengers are what keeps the company in business and paychecks coming to the employees and the lower elites and the folks flying in coach need to be treated a lot better.

1. Cultures can change. Nobody said it'd be easy, but many things in life aren't.
2. To your second point, what do you think the point of all this is? It's to communicate to everyone inside and outside the airline that things are going to change.
-Dave

jetmatt777

Fri Apr 28, 2017 12:05 am

As someone who works for United.. under Smisek as well as Oscar, I can attest that not only the enthusiasm, but the attitude and culture are in the middle of a positive swing. Things were absolutely dismal under Smisek. Oscar has been a breath of fresh air for the workforce and the culture is indeed changing. Sorry that jumbojet has a personal vendetta against United, but he's flat out wrong on what's going on within United. It will take time, but good change is happening and most importantly the workforce is believing in it and making it happen.
Lighten up while you still can, don't even try to understand, just find a place to make your stand and take it easy

PlanesNTrains

Fri Apr 28, 2017 12:22 am

jetmatt777 wrote:
As someone who works for United.. under Smisek as well as Oscar, I can attest that not only the enthusiasm, but the attitude and culture are in the middle of a positive swing. Things were absolutely dismal under Smisek. Oscar has been a breath of fresh air for the workforce and the culture is indeed changing. Sorry that jumbojet has a personal vendetta against United, but he's flat out wrong on what's going on within United. It will take time, but good change is happening and most importantly the workforce is believing in it and making it happen.

Good to hear.

As a kid, I spent a lot of time at my aunt's house in Tacoma, WA watching the ships enter and exit Commencement Bay. Like any large organization, there is a lot of inertia, and it took a lot of time and distance to get the ships around the point and heading into port. For "some" to say that a company's culture is next to impossible to change, I think it's akin to saying a large ship is next to impossible to maneuver into a tight space. It takes time, and it takes a good captain, but it's definitely doable.

Good luck to UA.
-Dave

danj555

Fri Apr 28, 2017 12:23 am

This is an excellent result. Significant steps towards not being a d***.

jumbojet

Fri Apr 28, 2017 1:42 am

UA needs to change for all fliers, not just the top spending elite extraordinaire super duper ultra million miler. I strategically live between JFK and EWR. I chose Delta many years ago because I feel they value their customers way more so than UA ever has and I have flown both airlines enough to make that decision. Delta continues to sweep me off my feet with its customer service, its soft and hard products. Its hard to believe that half of 2017 is nearly over and still 99% of UA's fleet is not direct aisle in business class. When you think of industry leading, I'm not thinking United. When I think of a customer oriented airline, I am not thinking United. United thinks that POLARIS will win lost customers back. Guess what, its a start but they have to stop treating passengers like dirt. While its nice to hear from one UA employee on this site on how they seem to think Oscar is changing the culture at United, it remains to be seen if the folks that are buying tickets on UA think its genuine or phony..

I actually hope that UA will one day have a hands down, blow me away customer oriented approach. I would gladly try United once again but honestly, I think it will be tough to beat that genuine, southern hospitality that you get from the folks at DL.

PlanesNTrains

Fri Apr 28, 2017 1:45 am

jumbojet wrote:
UA needs to change for all fliers, not just the top spending elite extraordinaire super duper ultra million miler. I strategically live between JFK and EWR. I chose Delta many years ago because I feel they value their customers way more so than UA ever has and I have flown both airlines enough to make that decision. Delta continues to sweep me off my feet with its customer service, its soft and hard products. Its hard to believe that half of 2017 is nearly over and still 99% of UA's fleet is not direct aisle in business class. When you think of industry leading, I'm not thinking United. When I think of a customer oriented airline, I am not thinking United. United thinks that POLARIS will win lost customers back. Guess what, its a start but they have to stop treating passengers like dirt. While its nice to hear from one UA employee on this site on how they seem to think Oscar is changing the culture at United, it remains to be seen if the folks that are buying tickets on UA think its genuine or phony..

I actually hope that UA will one day have a hands down, blow me away customer oriented approach. I would gladly try United once again but honestly, I think it will be tough to beat that genuine, southern hospitality that you get from the folks at DL.

Knock me over with a feather.
-Dave

United1

Fri Apr 28, 2017 2:05 am

PlanesNTrains wrote:
jumbojet wrote:

If he hadn't burried it in so much garbage about DL I might just might have believed he actually meant it. The foe setting on here works great for blocking users posts...just wish they could expand it to include other users replys when they quote.
I know the voices in my head aren't real but sometimes their ideas are just awesome!!!

TheFlyingDisk

Fri Apr 28, 2017 2:57 am

jumbojet wrote:
What United really needs to understand is that the passengers are what keeps the company in business and paychecks coming to the employees and the lower elites and the folks flying in coach need to be treated a lot better.

Depends on the passengers. No doubt folks flying in coach should be treated better - but the whole "I'm paying for your salary and you have to please me by giving me anything I want" attitude rings hollow if you're holding the lowest fare ticket to be honest.
I FLY KLM+ALASKA+QATAR+MALAYSIA+AIRASIA+MALINDO

D L X

Fri Apr 28, 2017 3:02 am

Increase customer compensation incentives for voluntary denied boarding up to $10,000.

Ten thousand dollahs?! Sheeeeeeeeeeit. There are some pilots that might volunteer to take a later flight for that!

D L X

Fri Apr 28, 2017 3:05 am

zionite wrote:
Spiderguy252 wrote:
These are all so generic. Nothing concrete, general guidelines at best.

:yawn:
I thought I would read:

1. Always smile
2. Free meals or better snacks
3. Free checked bags
4. More miles
5. More cash + upgrade in case of denied boarding

Why would you think that? Continental is dead.

77H

Fri Apr 28, 2017 3:11 am

intotheair wrote:
These changes are all nice and good, though I'm sure it won't be enough for some people short of Munoz getting tarred and feathered and UA being liquidated and sold off to Richard Branson. The public probably doesn't care or remember anymore anyway.

77H wrote:
Didn't UA roll out E- and Polaris before DL's E- and Delta One? I was of the understanding AA was the first of the US3 to roll out E-. could be wrong though.

77H

DL came out with Basic Economy in 2014. UA only introduced it in the last few months, with AA following shortly after.

http://news.delta.com/basic-economy

DL also rebranded Business Elite as Delta One starting in late 2014 too. UA didn't come out with Polaris until last year.

http://crankyflier.com/2014/12/09/delta ... -new-ones/

Thanks for the correction.

SFOtoORD

Fri Apr 28, 2017 3:38 am

PlanesNTrains wrote:
jumbojet wrote:

I know. Such a departure from every other post ever for this poster.

alasizon

Fri Apr 28, 2017 4:04 am

Mir wrote:
aviationjunky wrote:

You're going to lose money on that scheme.

Not to mention, the number of 10,000 dollar vouchers issued is likely to be about nil. Farthest I've seen it go up to now is about $1100 on a regular basis. I'm sure there may have been a few that approached 2,000 but certainly not many.

However, the 10k figure has been thrown out and now passengers will expect it right off the bat which is just bad...
Manager on Duty & Tower Planner

jumbojet

Fri Apr 28, 2017 11:07 am

Let me get back on topic. So United wants to make flying friendly again. Question is, why did it become unfriendly to begin with? Answer that question and maybe United will actually figure out how to really make flying friendly again. Once they figure out that secret, they might be actually able to copyright the secret and sell it to all other airlines. First thing UA could do is make flying more comfortable and enjoyable for everyone. At any rate, I said I live almost at equal distance to JFK and EWR. Its actually easier and less expensive for me to traverse to EWR than it is to JFK. I actually look forward to the day I can give United a try again but until the day their customer service ratings improve, the hard product improves (like direct aisle access on ALL international widebody planes) and more viable options to switch airports in the event of 'anticipated' bad weather, there is no incentive to switch.

On a recent flight I took in business, JFK-LAX-PVG-PVG-DTW-LGA , the weather forecast was calling for thunderstorms the morning of my JFK-LAX flight. I had a very tight connection in LAX for the onward flight to PVG. I actually used Twitter to contact Delta and ask to get to LAX the night before the PVG flight instead of the same day. Even though no weather waiver was issued, they had me on an evening flight to LAX and it took no longer than 5 minutes. No need for a supervisor, it was just done. When United can do something like that, when they develop that kind of reputation, than I will consider flying them again.

ILUVDC10S

Sat Apr 29, 2017 12:29 am

jumbojet wrote:
Let me get back on topic. So United wants to make flying friendly again. Question is, why did it become unfriendly to begin with? Answer that question and maybe United will actually figure out how to really make flying friendly again. Once they figure out that secret, they might be actually able to copyright the secret and sell it to all other airlines. First thing UA could do is make flying more comfortable and enjoyable for everyone. At any rate, I said I live almost at equal distance to JFK and EWR. Its actually easier and less expensive for me to traverse to EWR than it is to JFK. I actually look forward to the day I can give United a try again but until the day their customer service ratings improve, the hard product improves (like direct aisle access on ALL international widebody planes) and more viable options to switch airports in the event of 'anticipated' bad weather, there is no incentive to switch.

On a recent flight I took in business, JFK-LAX-PVG-PVG-DTW-LGA , the weather forecast was calling for thunderstorms the morning of my JFK-LAX flight. I had a very tight connection in LAX for the onward flight to PVG. I actually used Twitter to contact Delta and ask to get to LAX the night before the PVG flight instead of the same day. Even though no weather waiver was issued, they had me on an evening flight to LAX and it took no longer than 5 minutes. No need for a supervisor, it was just done. When United can do something like that, when they develop that kind of reputation, than I will consider flying them again.

What did you think of the ease in INTL-DOM Connections in DTW Mc Namrara ? To me its the smoothest and quickest in the USA .

Taco2sDay

Sat Apr 29, 2017 12:57 am

New deal: Cash in miles for "happy travel (ending)!"

Beatyair

Sat Apr 29, 2017 10:38 pm

They may 'Pull' the ad.

Beatyair

Sat Apr 29, 2017 10:39 pm

United Airlines may 'Pull' that ad.

atsiang

Mon May 01, 2017 1:58 am

jumbojet wrote:

I have to agree with jumbojet here...one thing about UA is that they must drastically improve is the intangible which is their customer service on all levels. I don't fly a whole lot as I'm only a Mileage Plus Silver, traveling on UA domestically and I travel quite a bit internationally. But when I travel internationally to HKG from SFO, there are 3 airlines to choose from which fly nonstop, SQ, CX, UA. But I never consider UA when going to HKG. Service on SQ is simply unbeatable. The flight attendants are warm, friendly, courteous. But on UA, I've rarely encountered such a flight attendant. Virtually most of the time, they are stoic, apathetic, rude and just cold. Case in point, sometime ago, I was in economy going to SYD from SFO on UA and asked nicely to a flight attendant whether they had extra toothbrush/paste available and I given an abrupt no with a growl. Really?? Whereas on a SQ flight back to SFO from HKG, my water bottle was confiscated by the HK gate agents (non SQ personel) prior to boarding and when I boarded I complained to one of the male flight attendants in economy and he explained that it was a policy not of SQ but of HK and during the flight, he came by repeatedly to give me water! What a nice gesture! Can't see that happening on UA.

If an airline is short in their hard product, it can be compensated somewhat by their excellent customer service. However, UA is short on both especially for international travels. Until they can raise their customer service levels, it'll be other airlines when traveling overseas to Asia.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos