Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

alfa164
Topic Author

United and Dr. Dao reach settlement

Thu Apr 27, 2017 8:33 pm

No terms announced, as would be expected.

An expedited settlement seems like a good move by UA.

http://money.cnn.com/2017/04/27/news/co ... index.html
I'm going to have a smokin' hot body again!
I have decided to be cremated....

ikramerica

Re: uNITED AND dR. dAO REACH SETTLEMENT

Thu Apr 27, 2017 8:35 pm

I'm sure it was for more than he deserved but not as much as he was hoping. Avoiding a trial and all the discovery of his past behaviors being made public was good for him.
Of all the things to worry about... the Wookie has no pants.

BN727227Ultra

Re: United and Dr. Dao reach settlement

Thu Apr 27, 2017 8:50 pm

alfa164 wrote:

Prolly change the name to Dr. Dao Airlines. His picture on the vertical stabilizer of every UA aircraft a la Frontier. Might not be a bad idea, at that...

DarkSnowyNight

Thu Apr 27, 2017 9:00 pm

In a completely unrelated story, United has decided to sell two 737-900s and their lounge at IAD.
"Nous ne sommes pas infectés. Il n'y a pas d'infection ici..."

jakubz

Thu Apr 27, 2017 9:00 pm

BN727227Ultra wrote:
alfa164 wrote:

Prolly change the name to Dr. Dao Airlines. His picture on the vertical stabilizer of every UA aircraft a la Frontier. Might not be a bad idea, at that...

Will the picture be before, during, or after? :duck:
KORD>RJAA>KORD day trip? Why not! The beauty of SA!
Yes, I use ICAO codes
Flown: PA-28, PA-38
Passenger on: A319/A320, A380, 737, 747-400, 757, 767, 777, 787-8/9
Finally got on a 747!

My comment are my own. I don't speak for any company.

OMP777X

Thu Apr 27, 2017 9:13 pm

I am guessing he settled for a very low seven figure number. He is lucky to have the vast majority of public opinion on his side (the potential jury pool likely wasn't going to be pro-United), not to mention the various videos all depicted him as being the victim in this case from every angle, as well as the fact he had the law on his side to begin with.

Those things all managed to gather enough steam for Dr. Dao and company that they forced United's legal team to settle ahead of what could've been a very tedious and emotionally tiresome trial for Dr. Dao and his public image, and would've no doubt been tough on his family and personal life. I am happy for he and his family's sake that they reached an amicable settlement so soon.

Best,

OMP777X
"Happy Flighting!"

slcdeltarumd11

Re: uNITED AND dR. dAO REACH SETTLEMENT

Thu Apr 27, 2017 9:38 pm

ikramerica wrote:
I'm sure it was for more than he deserved but not as much as he was hoping. Avoiding a trial and all the discovery of his past behaviors being made public was good for him.

Oh i think he got more then he imagined, his lawyers were probably setting the number and not budging too much. His legal team holds all the winning cards, united had NOTHING to play. United knows they would loose in court, the publicity would be hurting them everyday. They just want to move on, and this is still a headline grabbing story, his lawyers know they are winning in the end, united wants to move on ASAP. The video of him being dragged down the isle IS the average persons image of United Airlines right now.

I am sure he is not allowed to say as part of the agreement. His lawyers knew this was a slam dunk and would be the worst PR ever to go to trial. I think United dug in really deep here to stay out of court, they have to move on from this story. United didn't settle for cheap, im sure his legal team was extremely confident here, they have already won.

Okie

Thu Apr 27, 2017 9:50 pm

No indication of if or when the City of Chicago is going to settle with the "security guards" bashing Dr. Dao's face and knocking his teeth out at United's directions.

More still to come I am thinking.

Okie

message generated by smoke signal from mobile device

peterinlisbon

Thu Apr 27, 2017 9:58 pm

I thought they had already reached an agreement - they would stop punching him in the face if he got off the plane.

ubeema

Thu Apr 27, 2017 10:15 pm

Next ATM withdrawal - City of Chicago

11725Flyer

Thu Apr 27, 2017 10:17 pm

OMP777X wrote:
I am guessing he settled for a very low seven figure number.

I'm guessing it was higher than you think it was. But, then again, we're all guessing.

Flighty

Thu Apr 27, 2017 10:33 pm

My guess is he opened at 25 million. They replied with a confidentiality agreement and $500,000.

My guess is it was 2-5 million, but it could be more like 8-9. In any case, it is vital that United put this behind them, and the confidentiality suits both parties, we might guess. Both are weary of the attention.

727LOVER

Thu Apr 27, 2017 10:37 pm

Does settlement with United cover Republic?
"We must accept finite disappointment, but never lose infinite hope." - Martin Luther King, Jr.

smokeybandit

Thu Apr 27, 2017 10:38 pm

I'd be happy with free flights for me and my family until all of my family members are dead.

FlyingSicilian

Thu Apr 27, 2017 10:46 pm

UNITED admits all fault, City of Chicago is released and cannot be sued per the agreement.
“Without seeing Sicily it is impossible to understand Italy.Sicily is the key of everything.”-Goethe "Journey to Italy"

PlanesNTrains

Thu Apr 27, 2017 10:47 pm

727LOVER wrote:
Does settlement with United cover Republic?

I have no idea, but based on how everything went down, I don't think he'll be bringing a case against Republic. UA probably accepted full responsibility for the "United"-branded part of it, paid him out, and that's that. Republic really had no direct involvement in it from what we can tell and I doubt at this stage he'd waste his time trying to get blood from that bankrupt turnip.
-Dave

MAX’d out on MAX threads. If you are starting a thread, and it’s about the MAX - stop. There’s already a thread that covers it.

PlanesNTrains

Thu Apr 27, 2017 10:48 pm

smokeybandit wrote:
I'd be happy with free flights for me and my family until all of my family members are dead.

I'm guessing next time he'll fly someone else.
-Dave

MAX’d out on MAX threads. If you are starting a thread, and it’s about the MAX - stop. There’s already a thread that covers it.

PlanesNTrains

Thu Apr 27, 2017 10:49 pm

FlyingSicilian wrote:
UNITED admits all fault, City of Chicago is released and cannot be sued per the agreement.

Smart move on their part. Better to cough up some dough now and get it out of the news cycle than to have it played out all over again when he goes to court with the city.
-Dave

Thu Apr 27, 2017 10:52 pm

I wouldn't have given this clown a dime. Go talk with the City of Chicago PD who did the damage. All this is going to do is encourage others to try the same thing. You should see all the crap airline employee's have to put up with since this happened. Its ridiculous the garbage they now encounter.

PlanesNTrains

Thu Apr 27, 2017 10:55 pm

727200 wrote:
I wouldn't have given this clown a dime. Go talk with the City of Chicago PD who did the damage. All this is going to do is encourage others to try the same thing. You should see all the crap airline employee's have to put up with since this happened. Its ridiculous the garbage they now encounter.

You are obviously not in the legal department or loss prevention. :-)
-Dave

Okie

Thu Apr 27, 2017 10:59 pm

FlyingSicilian wrote:
UNITED admits all fault, City of Chicago is released and cannot be sued per the agreement

Okay, thanks the linked article was short on details.

smokeybandit wrote:

Just a wild guess that the settlement was high enough that the Dr. and his family will be flying NetJets in the future at United's expense.

Okie

message generated by smoke signal from mobile device

OMP777X

Thu Apr 27, 2017 11:09 pm

Flighty wrote:
My guess is he opened at 25 million. They replied with a confidentiality agreement and $500,000.

My guess is it was 2-5 million, but it could be more like 8-9. In any case, it is vital that United put this behind them, and the confidentiality suits both parties, we might guess. Both are weary of the attention.

I would imagine the low end of your first estimate to be accurate, but as we already agree we are all just guesstimating. Keep in mind most cases involving loss of life don't even see awards of $8-9 million. In Chicago when CPD officer Van Dyke shot Laquan McDonald to death the city awarded his family $5 million, IIRC. I hope Dr. Dao has a speedy recovery, and no lasting damage in his sinus cavities, or lingering damage from his concussion. Either way, hopefully whatever amount the settlement was that is awarded to the Dr., I truly hope it is enough to cover his lost wages, past and future pain, and future medical costs or lost income that he sustains from this event.
"Happy Flighting!"

Jerseyguy

Thu Apr 27, 2017 11:43 pm

This was a great settlement it keeps all the news that he was convicted of trading prescriptions for sex away from the national media.

EA CO AS

Thu Apr 27, 2017 11:49 pm

Part of the agreement is UA has to name a plane of their choosing after Dr. Dao.

After which UA will ground it, retire it from service, and send it to VCV to be scrapped. ;)
"In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem - government IS the problem." - Ronald Reagan

Comments made here are my own and are not intended to represent the official position of Alaska Air Group

727LOVER

Fri Apr 28, 2017 12:58 am

This reminds me of how quickly Disney settled with the alligator kid family. But why was there not as much hatred against Disney?
"We must accept finite disappointment, but never lose infinite hope." - Martin Luther King, Jr.

United1

Fri Apr 28, 2017 1:08 am

727LOVER wrote:
This reminds me of how quickly Disney settled with the alligator kid family. But why was there not as much hatred against Disney?

Disney is a very well respected company that has an incredible brand that in all honesty is there actual product they do just about anything to protect it. Also its harder to say that Disney was negligent, even if they were, as the general public kind of looked at the entire situation and went...an alligator in a Florida swamp...who ever would have guessed. Obviously it's horrible what happened in WDW and it should not have but its more understandable.

Overall airlines reputations are just slightly above that of the post office and the cable companies...Even WN, VX and B6 are still just considered a seat and mode of transit from point A to point B in the public's eyes.
I know the voices in my head aren't real but sometimes their ideas are just awesome!!!

PlanesNTrains

Fri Apr 28, 2017 1:11 am

727LOVER wrote:

Because it wasn't an employee that ate the kid, and it wasn't an alligator that dragged Dr. Dao off the airplane.
-Dave

Fri Apr 28, 2017 1:23 am

My guess, having knowledge of some of how this works in real life and the kinds of numbers that get batted around.... His lawyers asked for 10-15 million, and settled for at least 5 million. This is not just about what a court would potentially give Dr. Dao; but, how much avoiding continued massive bad publicity worth to United; and the Lawyers know that - and would try to collect part of that value too (and United understands that cost as well). United was holding a mixed hand of deuces and treys, Dr. Dao's lawyers were holding the Aces and other face cards... and United knew that.

Have a great day,

Flighty

Fri Apr 28, 2017 2:26 am

2175301 wrote:
My guess, having knowledge of some of how this works in real life and the kinds of numbers that get batted around.... His lawyers asked for 10-15 million, and settled for at least 5 million. This is not just about what a court would potentially give Dr. Dao; but, how much avoiding continued massive bad publicity worth to United; and the Lawyers know that - and would try to collect part of that value too (and United understands that cost as well). United was holding a mixed hand of deuces and treys, Dr. Dao's lawyers were holding the Aces and other face cards... and United knew that.

Have a great day,

Yeah, case itself is not worth more than 1-2 million, but as you say, this guy almost assassinated UA's brand forever. They need to pay him his money, some multiple on the value, get him happy and get this out of the papers. The quick end and his silence are pure gold to United.

ubeema

Fri Apr 28, 2017 3:01 am

727LOVER wrote:

I do not recall Disney CEO callously commenting and blaming the family for this terrible accident. Do you?

The American public is used to people killed live on TV or social media every day. TKO onboard UA3411 was not the worst we have ever seen. However it took 48+ hours to Oscar Munoz to wake up and take charge. OM's PR failure paved the way to the fastest and easiest settlement ever. He now most likely lost chairmanship whether voluntarily or not. Glad this is over.

crownvic

Fri Apr 28, 2017 3:22 am

727200 wrote:

Yes, and while I could care less about Dr. Dao, you should see the crap we as passengers, have to put up with crappy flight crews! It is a Two Way Street. Do you know how we have to fear about getting arrested, detained or charged with a felony, because a flight attendant is on a power trip and I dare not complain about the stain on the filthy seat of the airplane? It's one of the reasons I have restricted my flying to essential travel only. It all has to do with the degradation of society (passengers) and crews with bad attitudes because they are either on a power trip or they hate their lousy airline employer. Furthermore, this is not restricted to airlines. People have become inconsiderate everywhere and employees suck almost everywhere. Welcome to the new world and social media!

alasizon

Fri Apr 28, 2017 3:31 am

crownvic wrote:
Yes, and while I could care less about Dr. Dao, you should see the crap we as passengers, have to put up with crappy flight crews! It is a Two Way Street. Do you know how we have to fear about getting arrested, detained or charged with a felony, because a flight attendant is on a power trip and I dare not complain about the stain on the filthy seat of the airplane? It's one of the reasons I have restricted my flying to essential travel only. It all has to do with the degradation of society (passengers) and crews with bad attitudes because they are either on a power trip or they hate their lousy airline employer. Furthermore, this is not restricted to airlines. People have become inconsiderate everywhere and employees suck almost everywhere. Welcome to the new world and social media!

I fully encourage you as a passenger when you have that less than stellar seat experience, or interaction with crew, etc. to ask to speak to a supervisor/manager. The majority of stuff goes unreported and if nobody reports it, we can't fix it. Sure the supervisor and manager sometimes have a bad attitude to but not everyone is that way.

Likely Dr. Dao got a settlement in the 5-8 million range, a NDA and likely some sort of agreement that he would steer clear of UA for at least 12 calendar months in order to prevent any more bad press and retaliation on either side. I'd argue the case itself was worth probably about 3 million and the rest would be what the lawyers were able to agree upon as the fast settlement fee.
Airport (noun) - A construction site which airplanes tend to frequent

FlyHossD

Fri Apr 28, 2017 3:37 am

ubeema wrote:

Or will Chicago file chargers against him for refusing to comply with the orders of a police officer? From everything that I've ever heard about the city, they know how to play hardball.
My statements do not represent my former employer or my current employer and are my opinions only.

FlyHossD

Fri Apr 28, 2017 3:39 am

PlanesNTrains wrote:
727LOVER wrote:

Because it wasn't an employee that ate the kid, and it wasn't an alligator that dragged Dr. Dao off the airplane.

As I understand it, it wasn't an airline employee that dragged Dao off the plane - it was the City of Chicago Department of Aviation Police. Is that incorrect?
My statements do not represent my former employer or my current employer and are my opinions only.

b747400erf

Fri Apr 28, 2017 3:57 am

727200 wrote:

Anet was in need of more pot stirring accounts posting obnoxious and in your face comments! Thank you so much for coming here!

jetblastdubai

Fri Apr 28, 2017 3:58 am

PlanesNTrains wrote:
Smart move on their part. Better to cough up some dough now and get it out of the news cycle than to have it played out all over again when he goes to court with the city.

The downside is we will probably never find out all the actual details of the event when witnesses are under oath. I understand, right or wrong, UA needs to bury this whole episode but it'd be a shame if they caved on a settlement for expediency instead of getting all the facts out in the open that "might" exonerate them.

Unless the UA agent roughed up the passenger before the police arrived, I wouldn't think they'd have much liability for any physical harm.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IORS5Dq0W8s

b747400erf

Fri Apr 28, 2017 4:01 am

jetblastdubai wrote:
PlanesNTrains wrote:

The downside is we will probably never find out all the actual details of the event when witnesses are under oath. I understand, right or wrong, UA needs to bury this whole episode but it'd be a shame if they caved on a settlement for expediency instead of getting all the facts out in the open that "might" exonerate them.

Unless the UA agent roughed up the passenger before the police arrived, I wouldn't think they'd have much liability for any physical harm.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IORS5Dq0W8s

Didn't you see what the dentist was wearing? He deserved it.

Moose135

Fri Apr 28, 2017 4:04 am

FlyHossD wrote:
As I understand it, it wasn't an airline employee that dragged Dao off the plane - it was the City of Chicago Department of Aviation Police. Is that incorrect?

Yes, but at the request of the airline. They didn't just board a random flight and drag off a passenger, they wouldn't have been there if the airline hadn't asked them to remove someone.
KC-135 - Passing gas and taking names!

ubeema

Fri Apr 28, 2017 4:04 am

FlyHossD wrote:
ubeema wrote:

Or will Chicago file chargers against him for refusing to comply with the orders of a police officer? From everything that I've ever heard about the city, they know how to play hardball.

Hardball until a settlement + NDA is reached. And you and I will never know what transpired.

questions

Fri Apr 28, 2017 4:14 am

Given his injuries, I'm sure United paid for all of his medical expenses and I wouldn't be surprised if United pays for full healthcare coverage for life.

Assuming the settlement is not covered by any type of insurance, where/how do these charges appear on United's financial statements?

How are Dr Dao's proceeds from the settlement treated from a tax perspective?

Jerseyguy

Fri Apr 28, 2017 4:16 am

Moose135 wrote:
FlyHossD wrote:

Yes, but at the request of the airline. They didn't just board a random flight and drag off a passenger, they wouldn't have been there if the airline hadn't asked them to remove someone.

Your right they wouldn't have been there but the airline never requested that the police literally drag the passenger off the plane, they just asked to have the passenger removed which they had a right to do. If the police used excessive force to do so after Dr. Dao refused that is their fault not the airlines.

PlanesNTrains

Fri Apr 28, 2017 4:31 am

FlyHossD wrote:
PlanesNTrains wrote:
727LOVER wrote:

That's factually correct, but in the court of public opinion it was UA.
-Dave

alfa164
Topic Author

Fri Apr 28, 2017 4:36 am

questions wrote:
Given his injuries, I'm sure United paid for all of his medical expenses and I wouldn't be surprised if United pays for full healthcare coverage for life. Assuming the settlement is not covered by any type of insurance, where/how do these charges appear on United's financial statements? How are Dr Dao's proceeds from the settlement treated from a tax perspective?

While UA undoubtedly carries a huge umbrella policy, I doubt the settlement was paid by insurance; they would have fought it (and they would have every right to fight it) if it was considered excessive. I would bet that most - if not all - will be paid by UA; that means it might be possible for a really good financial sleuth to determine (at least approximately) the amount paid, once the next public financial reports are filed. On the other hand, it may very well be that the settlement will be paid over an extended period of time; if that is the case, it may be small enough each quarter to be obscured in the mandatory financial filings.

Tax liability will be determined by whether the settlement is structured as compensatory damages (such as damages for medical expenses, pain and suffering, etc) which are not generally taxable, or punitive damages/exemplary damages, which generally are taxable. A good plaintiff's attorney will know how to word the settlement to avoid tax liability.

The one monkey wrench might be that, if the settlement is truly huge, the IRS might want to take a look to see that the damages are actually non-taxable, and not just structured to avoid taxation. They have a habit of being less-friendly than even the group that dragged Mr. Dao off the plane in the first place. ;)
I'm going to have a smokin' hot body again!
I have decided to be cremated....

ubeema

Fri Apr 28, 2017 4:44 am

questions wrote:
Assuming the settlement is not covered by any type of insurance, where/how do these charges appear on United's financial statements?

Most corporations have insurance for legal issues in the normal course of business. Also with NDA in place this will under wrap regardless. They settle/litigate business disputes all the time that's the job of inside Counsel. Would be a different issue if we were talking multiple billion dollars payout a la BP, GM, or VW. In which case they would make provisions ahead and definitely would be disclosed in financial statements.

LAX772LR

Fri Apr 28, 2017 6:14 am

Getting bashed and drag was probably the greatest thing that has/will happen to this dude. Fuggim.

smokeybandit wrote:

Might want to take care to never be on the same plane at the same time then... I mean, insurance would cover deaths in a crash; and that's a lot of potential liability eliminated, with no CapEx required. Just sayin'.
I myself, suspect a more prosaic motive... ~Thranduil

BN747

Fri Apr 28, 2017 6:37 am

One things for sure, whatever the amount, UA made that much (if not more) in profit since the OP started this thread.

The legal knew this when Oscar owned up.

BN747
"Home of the Brave, made by the Slaves..Land of the Free, if you look like me.." T. Jefferson

Fri Apr 28, 2017 6:42 am

FlyHossD wrote:
ubeema wrote:

They were not "Police" and had been told by the City to stop wearing anything that said "police" on it (but, the city knew that some of them still did them). If the ones involved were wearing clothing that said Police... (I don't recall and am not going back to look at the video); not only are they "impersonating a police officer" (and should be charged by the DA for that); but the City has known about this.. (and why has not the DA office previously charged said people). City play hardball... and this lands in court where the City has little chance. Knowingly letting people impersonate police; people not following procedures and protocol, etc. "he swung first" has no legal meaning if the person is defending himself and preventing forced removal (kidnapping?) from people who have no legal right to even ask him to leave (or perhaps theft of ticketed property). I want to watch this go to trial if the City plays hardball...

Now the City of Chicago has a history of blaming the victim and claiming that their employees did no major wrongs; even when they have video taped evidence to the contrary (and even when it took over a year long legal battle to get those video tapes public); and they like to make the appearance of playing hardball... But, put them against real ball players and they embarrass themselves...

No, the City will quickly settle this... as they don't even want it to come even close to a courtroom.

Have a great day,

readytotaxi

Fri Apr 28, 2017 6:56 am

What ever the out come, his legal team could probably put their feet up for the rest of the year down at Key West, sipping a cool one. :dollarsign: :dollarsign: :dollarsign:
you don't get a second chance to make a first impression!
Growing older, but not up.

hilram

Fri Apr 28, 2017 7:47 am

peterinlisbon wrote:
I thought they had already reached an agreement - they would stop punching him in the face if he got off the plane.

Bwaahahaha! Should not read this while drinking coffee! :rotfl: Have to wipe my screen now!
Flown on: A319, 320, 321, 332, 333, 343 | B732, 734, 735, 736, 73G, 738, 743, 744, 772, 77W | CRJ9 | BAe-146 | DHC-6, 7, 8 | F50 | E195 | MD DC-9 41, MD-82, MD-87

xiaotung

Fri Apr 28, 2017 8:07 am

The figure circling in Chinese social media is he got $140 million. Is that even possible?

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos