FlyPNS1

Re: AA to increase 737 capacity

Thu May 04, 2017 12:31 pm

commavia wrote:
Uh, how about tickets to virtually any time-specific event on earth? I can't examine the seat in the baseball stadium before I show up for the game, nor the seat at the theater when I go see a concert or play. And, in almost all cases, I can't cancel said purchases and get refunds for that stuff, either.

But in most cases, I can resell the product if I decide I don't want it or don't like it. That's not allowed with airline tickets.

ckfred

Tue May 09, 2017 6:49 pm

grbauc wrote:
ckfred wrote:
Let's look at it this way. If AA were to give all 16 F seats in the current configuration as upgrades to AAdvantage elites, that is still 16 seats in Y that get sold, above the actual seat count.

I'm curious as to who actually buys first class tickets. Most people I know who fly for business can't buy a domestic F ticket on a corporate expense account. People I know tell me that they can only book a premium cabin for travel to Europe, Asia, and some parts of South America.

Here's some irony to think about. Back in the 1990s, the MD-80s often had 12 seats in F. Then, they were standardized at 14, before eventually getting 16 seats. Meanwhile, the 737s were originally delivered with 20 seats in F. Then, when AA started to put some seats back while scaling back MRTC, AA went to 16 F, maintaining MRTC even though 2 rows of Y were added.

Lots of us buy first. Airlines have brought fares down out of the stratosphere and I think DL said 51% FC sell and by 2018 they expect 80%

Last fall, my wife and a friend of hers flew ORD-SFO-ORD on AA. The fare for F was around $825. We were looking to fly ORD-SNA-ORD this summer. Fares were north or $1050, to as high as $1500. The fares were even worse for SAN and LAX.

We would up buying OW tickets and using miles (PlanAAhead) for the other direction.

The reason I asked who buys F is because businesses have become stingier and stingier with air travel, as well as allowing employees to fly in a premium cabin. When my wife first started working what was then Cincinnati Bell (now Convergys) in 1991, you could book F for ORD to the west coast. Over time, it got to be that only people in Cincinnati or east could fly to the West Coast in F. Then it got to be that it had to be coast-to-coast for F. By the time my wife left in 2006, there was no domestic F travel, except for Alaska and Hawaii. At the same time, the number of hours increased for travel to Europe, South America, and Asia, to be able to buy F tickets, rather than J.

My wife's current employer, as well as friends of mine at various Fortune 500 companies, have strict limits on travel. It often takes 2 or 3 layers of supervisors to approve travel. With that kind of restrictions, about the only way people get into F is via the upgrade because of F/F status

cledaybuck

Tue May 09, 2017 7:10 pm

FlyPNS1 wrote:
commavia wrote:
Uh, how about tickets to virtually any time-specific event on earth? I can't examine the seat in the baseball stadium before I show up for the game, nor the seat at the theater when I go see a concert or play. And, in almost all cases, I can't cancel said purchases and get refunds for that stuff, either.

But in most cases, I can resell the product if I decide I don't want it or don't like it. That's not allowed with airline tickets.
Not to mention when I got to a performance I buy a specific seat at a specific price. If I could go the seat map and purchase a specific seat (with know dimensions) at a specific price, I think there would be a lot less pushback.
As we celebrate mediocrity, all the boys upstairs want to see, how much you'll pay for what you used to get for free.

ILNFlyer

Tue May 09, 2017 7:22 pm

AA747123 wrote:
Just got out of a meeting and we were told that starting with the 737 max the AA 737s will go from 160 seats to 174. Not sure of the breakdown of F/Y. As other 737s cycle through service their seating will be increased as well.
:crowded: :grumpy:

drdisque

Tue May 09, 2017 8:57 pm

Maybe 12F makes sense if they're keeping their existing upgrade policy. However, assuming the UA -9MAX keeps 20F then I can see that swaying a lot of elites.

AA used to have a big advantage over UA in terms of domestic F seat counts (due to the "long tube" of the MD-80 essentially giving them a row of F that only cost them 1 Y seat). That's why UA originally created E+.

In the future, the opposite will be the case.

grbauc

Tue May 09, 2017 11:08 pm

WOW I just took a BA intra Europe flight LHR - AMS A-321 and was seated in Row 2 and I can't believe that the seats are that close. US airlines are 100% first class compared to the awful seats I experienced on BA. On the return to LHR we were in a 767 with all coach seats and the distance seemed a tad better but I can't really say I moved to bulkhead and aisle seat. I'm 6.0 ft and If I had 1 or 2 inches longer legs there is no way that it wouldn't almost impossible sit in. Are the coach seats even tighter?

Ryefly

Wed May 10, 2017 5:55 am

I flew on four AA 737 flights over the past 4 days. My lower back and tailbone is sore thanks to the clown car seating. The new seats are hard as a rock. I try to avoid the 737 because of the awful seating but sadly a lot of airbus routes are getting switched out with this junk in CLT.

Most passengers are paying for the schedule these days and that it. The couldn't care less what airline or type of plane they are on because they know all airlines offer the same incredibly uncomfortable seats, stupid fees, and lousy customer service. So why pay more then you absolutely need to?

ikolkyo

Tue Jun 13, 2017 4:15 pm

Looks like AA is getting rid of the 3 - 29" pitch rows by removing 1 row of MCE to have all MC seats be at least 30" of pitch, seat count of 172 remains.

https://twitter.com/AirlineGeeks/status ... 0536225792

commavia

Tue Jun 13, 2017 4:50 pm

ikolkyo wrote:
Looks like AA is getting rid of the 3 - 29" pitch rows by removing 1 row of MCE to have all MC seats be at least 30" of pitch, seat count of 172 remains.

Cool. Yet again reaffirms that competition, of course, does still exist and that airlines do, of course, still respond to customer behavior.

KarelXWB

Tue Jun 13, 2017 5:19 pm

Indeed, plans are off.

In May, the airline said that in order to add more seats to its new jet, it would shrink the distance between seats from 31 inches to 29 inches on three rows of the airplane, and down to 30 inches in the rest of its main economy cabin.

The airline told employees in an internal message that it has scrapped plans to have three tighter rows. Instead, all the seats in its main economy class cabin will be separated by 30 inches of space, down from 31 inches.

http://money.cnn.com/2017/06/13/news/co ... index.html
What we leave behind is not as important as how we've lived.

AAlaxfan

Tue Jun 13, 2017 7:59 pm

deleted
Grumpy. Not a dwarf, not an attitude. It's a lifestyle.

AAlaxfan

Tue Jun 13, 2017 8:11 pm

So is it going to be F 12 @ 40-42", Y+ 24 @ 35-37", Y 114 @ 31", & Y- 18 @ 30"?
Grumpy. Not a dwarf, not an attitude. It's a lifestyle.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos