AirbusMDCFAN
Topic Author
Posts: 497
Joined: Sun Nov 27, 2016 10:51 am

British Airways A318 and LCY operations

Sat Apr 29, 2017 8:45 pm

Link/Source: http://www.skyliner-aviation.de/regdb.main?LC=nav4

According to the link above, G-EUNB was ferried from LHR to CBG before returning to the leasing company.
How A318s for the LCY Trans Atlantic operation are left, and is/will this part of BA transatlantic operations be discontinued.
 
ScottishDavie
Posts: 216
Joined: Fri Feb 25, 2011 10:48 pm

Re: British Airways A318 and LCY operations

Sat Apr 29, 2017 9:21 pm

Assuming you're asking how many A318s are left, the answer is one. BA only ever used two A318s - NA and NB. As you say, NB has gone. NA remains in the fleet at least for the moment. This isn't a recent development. BA reduced LCY-JFK to once daily from the end of October 2016 rendering one of the A318s surplus to requirements

viewtopic.php?t=1341869
 
TheGeordielad
Posts: 905
Joined: Fri Jan 13, 2017 5:08 pm

Re: British Airways A318 and LCY operations

Sat Apr 29, 2017 10:19 pm

I believe in a year or 2 this service will be discontinued just because I've heard load factors aren't that good.
 
Beatyair
Posts: 856
Joined: Mon Feb 10, 2014 9:09 pm

Re: British Airways A318 and LCY operations

Sat Apr 29, 2017 10:31 pm

For a business person, what is the cost difference of flying out of London City to JFK vs. taking a cab to Heathrow and catching a flight (with many more time options) to JFK? I would think the business traveler, by and large, would be flying into Heathrow. Virgin Atlantic cater to the business traveler and they don't fly into London City.
 
GSTBA
Posts: 426
Joined: Wed Apr 07, 2010 3:20 am

Re: British Airways A318 and LCY operations

Sat Apr 29, 2017 11:47 pm

Titan Airways will be the new owner/leaser of G-EUNB. I
 
goldorak
Posts: 1460
Joined: Sat Sep 09, 2006 5:29 am

Re: British Airways A318 and LCY operations

Sun Apr 30, 2017 1:45 am

Beatyair wrote:
For a business person, what is the cost difference of flying out of London City to JFK vs. taking a cab to Heathrow and catching a flight (with many more time options) to JFK? I would think the business traveler, by and large, would be flying into Heathrow. Virgin Atlantic cater to the business traveler and they don't fly into London City.

It's not a problem of cost, but of convenience and time. Considering the City and Canary wharf, flying to/from LCY is so much more convenient than LHR which is far. And LCY is a small airport with minimal walking from entrance to gates and not prone to delays as LHR is.
 
b747400erf
Posts: 3135
Joined: Wed Jun 19, 2013 4:33 am

Re: British Airways A318 and LCY operations

Sun Apr 30, 2017 4:36 am

Took them long enough. They had been ferrying one of the A318's to sit at LHR for a month at a time as the other operated the only routing left. A nice waste of money.
 
skipness1E
Posts: 4630
Joined: Sun Aug 19, 2007 9:18 am

Re: British Airways A318 and LCY operations

Sun Apr 30, 2017 6:25 am

Willie Walsh said if LCY-JFK was dropped they would reconfigure the aircraft to short haul. Seemingly not, this route's a goner IMHO
 
rutankrd
Posts: 3025
Joined: Mon Sep 08, 2003 6:08 am

Re: British Airways A318 and LCY operations

Sun Apr 30, 2017 6:42 am

skipness1E wrote:
Willie Walsh said if LCY-JFK was dropped they would reconfigure the aircraft to short haul. Seemingly not, this route's a goner IMHO



With the Elizabeth line completion in sight and the actual trains being delivered this service is almost certainly going away.

As a Mancunian perhaps we can have our stolen JFK slot back !
 
workhorse
Posts: 673
Joined: Sun Jul 10, 2005 11:35 pm

Re: British Airways A318 and LCY operations

Sun Apr 30, 2017 7:17 am

Are there any other 32S routes that absolutely REQUIRE a 318 (ie cannot be flown with a 319)?
 
CRJ900
Posts: 2367
Joined: Wed Jun 02, 2004 2:48 am

Re: British Airways A318 and LCY operations

Sun Apr 30, 2017 7:30 am

A pity if they close LCY-JFK now that the CS100 is certified for LCY. I think maybe a 20J/25Y-configured CS100 would be a nice option LCY-JFK non-stop. They'll have to clear immigration at JFK but they'll save 60-90 minutes by flying non-stop westbound instead of stopping at SNN. And the aircraft can serve other select destinations too, DME, LCA etc.
Come, fly the prevailing winds with me
 
b747400erf
Posts: 3135
Joined: Wed Jun 19, 2013 4:33 am

Re: British Airways A318 and LCY operations

Sun Apr 30, 2017 7:45 am

CRJ900 wrote:
A pity if they close LCY-JFK now that the CS100 is certified for LCY. I think maybe a 20J/25Y-configured CS100 would be a nice option LCY-JFK non-stop. They'll have to clear immigration at JFK but they'll save 60-90 minutes by flying non-stop westbound instead of stopping at SNN. And the aircraft can serve other select destinations too, DME, LCA etc.

Another airline should give it a go, either a British or American airline. Although continued uncertainty of financial markets after Brexit might make this a money losing route even if a C-series can get better economics.
 
User avatar
Channex757
Posts: 2373
Joined: Sat Jun 18, 2016 7:07 am

Re: British Airways A318 and LCY operations

Sun Apr 30, 2017 7:46 am

The unique selling points of this route were that LCY is in central London and pretty small, so it was fast to get there and faster to get through. So later check-in was possible then no huge queues for security. The stop in SNN meant it arrived in JFK as a domestic US flight so no massive queue for immigration.

The second daily flight was screwed as soon as CBP announced the second flight would not receive preclearance.

This return has been on the cards for some time now. Titan was due to pick up an A318 in executive fitout and it's been on their fleet page at Jethros for a while. It does mean flexibility on the route has effectively been lost so like others I can also see it not lasting long.
 
TheGeordielad
Posts: 905
Joined: Fri Jan 13, 2017 5:08 pm

Re: British Airways A318 and LCY operations

Sun Apr 30, 2017 9:05 am

b747400erf wrote:
CRJ900 wrote:
A pity if they close LCY-JFK now that the CS100 is certified for LCY. I think maybe a 20J/25Y-configured CS100 would be a nice option LCY-JFK non-stop. They'll have to clear immigration at JFK but they'll save 60-90 minutes by flying non-stop westbound instead of stopping at SNN. And the aircraft can serve other select destinations too, DME, LCA etc.

Another airline should give it a go, either a British or American airline. Although continued uncertainty of financial markets after Brexit might make this a money losing route even if a C-series can get better economics.

Odyssey airlines?
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Odyssey_Airlines
They have similar plans like in operation to BA LCY-JFK Service
 
TheGeordielad
Posts: 905
Joined: Fri Jan 13, 2017 5:08 pm

Re: British Airways A318 and LCY operations

Sun Apr 30, 2017 9:06 am

GSTBA wrote:
Titan Airways will be the new owner/leaser of G-EUNB. I

Are they? Have there been any announcements?
 
Cunard
Posts: 2512
Joined: Fri Nov 11, 2016 6:45 pm

Re: British Airways A318 and LCY operations

Mon May 01, 2017 9:28 pm

Odyssey Airlines is still a virtual airline with no real credibility except a nice website and dreams of flying non stop LCY to JFK with the C Series, considering they first announced those plans about four years ago they haven't really been in any rush to purchase the C Series or indeed have they even made any further announcements regarding it.

I think we can all agree that we won't be seeing any C Series in Odessey Airlines livery at either LCY of JFK in the forseable future.
94 Countries, 327 Destinations Worldwide, 32 Airlines, 29 Aircraft Types, 182 Airports, 335 Flights.
 
Cunard
Posts: 2512
Joined: Fri Nov 11, 2016 6:45 pm

Re: British Airways A318 and LCY operations

Mon May 01, 2017 9:31 pm

[url]v[/url]
TheGeordielad wrote:
GSTBA wrote:
Titan Airways will be the new owner/leaser of G-EUNB. I

Are they? Have there been any announcements?


It is already confirmed by both British Airways and Titan Airways, G-EUNB is currently at Marshalls Cambridge.
94 Countries, 327 Destinations Worldwide, 32 Airlines, 29 Aircraft Types, 182 Airports, 335 Flights.
 
TheGeordielad
Posts: 905
Joined: Fri Jan 13, 2017 5:08 pm

Re: British Airways A318 and LCY operations

Tue May 02, 2017 5:48 am

Cunard wrote:
[url]v[/url]
TheGeordielad wrote:
GSTBA wrote:
Titan Airways will be the new owner/leaser of G-EUNB. I

Are they? Have there been any announcements?


It is already confirmed by both British Airways and Titan Airways, G-EUNB is currently at Marshalls Cambridge.

Thanks.
 
User avatar
flyingphil
Posts: 277
Joined: Wed May 16, 2007 2:56 am

Re: British Airways A318 and LCY operations

Tue May 02, 2017 7:22 am

Odessey Airlines is still listed as an active company in the UK and has raised a lot of money from investors.
But as noted above, nothing has been heard from them for a long while. http://www.flyody.com/
They are supposed to have the C-Series on order for operations from LCY.
Anyone have any updates?

Jethros and the BA Source also confirm the departure of G-EUNB to Titan Airways http://thebasource.com/british-airways- ... tenance-5/
I cant see the LCY - JFK route being sustainable with just G-EUNA.
 
oldannyboy
Posts: 2508
Joined: Wed Jun 15, 2016 8:28 am

Re: British Airways A318 and LCY operations

Tue May 02, 2017 8:36 am

I think this might be sadly spelling the beginning of the end for LCY-JFK service....
 
User avatar
LAX772LR
Posts: 12782
Joined: Sun Nov 09, 2014 11:06 pm

Re: British Airways A318 and LCY operations

Tue May 02, 2017 8:47 am

Be interesting to see what becomes of the BA001/002 flight numbers if this ends.

Personally, I wished they'd retired them in 2003 in honor of Concorde. Wonder what they'll do now: another JFK service?
I myself, suspect a more prosaic motive... ~Thranduil
 
oldannyboy
Posts: 2508
Joined: Wed Jun 15, 2016 8:28 am

Re: British Airways A318 and LCY operations

Tue May 02, 2017 9:05 am

CRJ900 wrote:
A pity if they close LCY-JFK now that the CS100 is certified for LCY. I think maybe a 20J/25Y-configured CS100 would be a nice option LCY-JFK non-stop. They'll have to clear immigration at JFK but they'll save 60-90 minutes by flying non-stop westbound instead of stopping at SNN. And the aircraft can serve other select destinations too, DME, LCA etc.


Sorry if I come across as abrasive -and I am not responding JUST to you- but this A.net fixation-equation "BA+LCY+CS100" is becoming a bit obsessive... and I really mean it in the best possible way...but, seriously, not a chance BA would want to go with the CS (WW has already ruled the plane out) and no way they are going to expand long/mid-haul of LCY anyway. If JFK has failed, then business-wise (J-class wise I mean) noting else will make it. And BTW, of all likely candidates... DME is under-performing and shrinking as is, and LCA is purely leisure...
 
BHXLOVER
Posts: 212
Joined: Mon Feb 23, 2015 2:20 pm

Re: British Airways A318 and LCY operations

Tue May 02, 2017 9:35 am

Cunard wrote:
[url]v[/url]
TheGeordielad wrote:
GSTBA wrote:
Titan Airways will be the new owner/leaser of G-EUNB. I

Are they? Have there been any announcements?


It is already confirmed by both British Airways and Titan Airways, G-EUNB is currently at Marshalls Cambridge.


So BA will actually still be able to use this aircraft as a spare.
 
Luxair747SP
Posts: 647
Joined: Fri May 21, 2010 2:24 pm

Re: British Airways A318 and LCY operations

Tue May 02, 2017 10:29 am

Does anyone know what Titan will do with the aircraft?
Reconfigure it to a standard Y cabin, keep it like it is as executive charter with the occasional lease to BA?
 
Andy33
Posts: 2522
Joined: Tue Sep 15, 2009 9:30 am

Re: British Airways A318 and LCY operations

Tue May 02, 2017 10:35 am

Luxair747SP wrote:
Does anyone know what Titan will do with the aircraft?
Reconfigure it to a standard Y cabin, keep it like it is as executive charter with the occasional lease to BA?


Everything I've heard says it will be kept as an executive charter aircraft, with occasional leases to cover maintenance on BA's remaining A318. Titan is BA's go-to ACMI airline.
It's difficult to see who would want to lease or spot-hire a shorthaul A318 in Western Europe, apart from Air France, but there's definitely a market for 32-seat all business planes for executive charter.
 
Luxair747SP
Posts: 647
Joined: Fri May 21, 2010 2:24 pm

Re: British Airways A318 and LCY operations

Tue May 02, 2017 10:54 am

Andy33 wrote:
Luxair747SP wrote:
Does anyone know what Titan will do with the aircraft?
Reconfigure it to a standard Y cabin, keep it like it is as executive charter with the occasional lease to BA?


Everything I've heard says it will be kept as an executive charter aircraft, with occasional leases to cover maintenance on BA's remaining A318. Titan is BA's go-to ACMI airline.
It's difficult to see who would want to lease or spot-hire a shorthaul A318 in Western Europe, apart from Air France, but there's definitely a market for 32-seat all business planes for executive charter.


Thanks Andy! Makes complete sense, although they must have got it rather cheap, as they need to certify also their crew now for LCY.
 
User avatar
flyingphil
Posts: 277
Joined: Wed May 16, 2007 2:56 am

Re: British Airways A318 and LCY operations

Wed May 03, 2017 2:50 pm

Confirmed by Titan http://www.titan-airways.com/news/comin ... -a318.html

Seems a smart move for them.. and BA can always lease it back when G-EUNA is not avialable.
 
User avatar
readytotaxi
Posts: 6873
Joined: Mon Dec 11, 2006 2:09 am

Re: British Airways A318 and LCY operations

Wed May 03, 2017 3:06 pm

Yes a good move, can see this being popular with sports clubs, Chelsea and the like.
you don't get a second chance to make a first impression!
Growing older, but not up.
 
User avatar
ClassicLover
Posts: 4748
Joined: Tue Mar 09, 2004 12:27 pm

Re: British Airways A318 and LCY operations

Wed May 03, 2017 7:15 pm

Quite pleased it's G-EUNB that was returned as that's the one I flew on when I did the service. It means I can still get on G-EUNA.

The price for the BA001 and BA002 are the same as Business Class on the normal routes out of Heathrow - they were when I was booking my flights anyway.
I do enjoy a spot of flying, especially when it's not in economy!
 
LHRFlyer
Posts: 1028
Joined: Sun Apr 11, 2010 12:50 pm

Re: British Airways A318 and LCY operations

Wed May 03, 2017 8:14 pm

LAX772LR wrote:
Be interesting to see what becomes of the BA001/002 flight numbers if this ends.

Personally, I wished they'd retired them in 2003 in honor of Concorde. Wonder what they'll do now: another JFK service?


The BA1-4 flight numbers were retired when Concorde was withdrawn from service. They were only reinstated when LCY-JFK launched.

I'd be sad to see this service go. It is unique on the London - New York route and the service is a notch above Club World on LHR-JFK.
 
Clydenairways
Posts: 1244
Joined: Thu Jan 11, 2007 8:27 am

Re: British Airways A318 and LCY operations

Wed May 03, 2017 9:16 pm

The only way i can see this route remaining is if BA outsourced it to another operator in their behalf.... With only one A318 left it is nearly gone anyway.
Either Titan could operate the whole route for them, with the two A318's.... and then a CS100 operator could be sourced to take over with a non stop operation..... Maybe someone like Privat Air, who specialize in this premium market already.
 
User avatar
Devilfish
Posts: 6684
Joined: Tue Jan 24, 2006 7:52 am

Re: British Airways A318 and LCY operations

Wed May 03, 2017 9:33 pm

Andy33 wrote:
It's difficult to see who would want to lease or spot-hire a shorthaul A318 in Western Europe, apart from Air France, but there's definitely a market for 32-seat all business planes for executive charter.

PM & D Royals when the Voyager is too big and a regular business jet is too small for the trip? :duck:
"Everyone is entitled to my opinion." - Garfield
 
mwhcvt
Posts: 1002
Joined: Sun Oct 05, 2008 2:01 pm

Re: British Airways A318 and LCY operations

Tue May 23, 2017 9:07 pm

I regularly see and it's been raised in this thread about a CS100 taking over from the A318 on the route and then being able make the route non stop in both directions, but as range isn't the limiting factor for the a318 on the route but ability to take of with enough fuel out of LCY would a CS100 really be able to take off from LCY with enough fuel to make JFK?
Must think up a new one soon, slow moving brain trying to get into gear ;)
 
SyracuseAvGeek
Posts: 526
Joined: Wed Apr 26, 2017 8:37 pm

Re: British Airways A318 and LCY operations

Tue May 23, 2017 10:34 pm

b747400erf wrote:
CRJ900 wrote:
A pity if they close LCY-JFK now that the CS100 is certified for LCY. I think maybe a 20J/25Y-configured CS100 would be a nice option LCY-JFK non-stop. They'll have to clear immigration at JFK but they'll save 60-90 minutes by flying non-stop westbound instead of stopping at SNN. And the aircraft can serve other select destinations too, DME, LCA etc.

Another airline should give it a go, either a British or American airline. Although continued uncertainty of financial markets after Brexit might make this a money losing route even if a C-series can get better economics.


That's true. Are the CS300 certified for LCY? Because then we could see Delta possibly start the service with the CS300 once they get them. Hopefully they wouldn't do all business, that way more people would fly it.
"I haven't been everywhere yet, but it's on my list."
 
SFOATLFlyer
Posts: 130
Joined: Fri May 12, 2017 9:51 pm

Re: British Airways A318 and LCY operations

Tue May 23, 2017 10:40 pm

LAX772LR wrote:
Be interesting to see what becomes of the BA001/002 flight numbers if this ends.

Personally, I wished they'd retired them in 2003 in honor of Concorde. Wonder what they'll do now: another JFK service?


If they use these numbers. I'd expect it would be JFK/LHR.
 
SyracuseAvGeek
Posts: 526
Joined: Wed Apr 26, 2017 8:37 pm

Re: British Airways A318 and LCY operations

Tue May 23, 2017 10:48 pm

TheGeordielad wrote:
I believe in a year or 2 this service will be discontinued just because I've heard load factors aren't that good.


That's true, how many people could or would spend $32,000 on a seat for a 6hr flight.
"I haven't been everywhere yet, but it's on my list."
 
Menzenski
Posts: 31
Joined: Sun Jul 17, 2016 11:19 pm

Re: British Airways A318 and LCY operations

Tue May 23, 2017 11:20 pm

mwhcvt wrote:
I regularly see and it's been raised in this thread about a CS100 taking over from the A318 on the route and then being able make the route non stop in both directions, but as range isn't the limiting factor for the a318 on the route but ability to take of with enough fuel out of LCY would a CS100 really be able to take off from LCY with enough fuel to make JFK?


Bombardier demonstrated the CS100 flying LCY-JFK earlier this year.
 
stratacruiser
Posts: 232
Joined: Thu Dec 08, 2011 7:07 pm

Re: British Airways A318 and LCY operations

Tue May 23, 2017 11:46 pm

Crossrail will remove much of the justification for this service once it opens.

Dave
 
mwhcvt
Posts: 1002
Joined: Sun Oct 05, 2008 2:01 pm

Re: British Airways A318 and LCY operations

Wed May 24, 2017 9:06 am

Menzenski wrote:
mwhcvt wrote:
I regularly see and it's been raised in this thread about a CS100 taking over from the A318 on the route and then being able make the route non stop in both directions, but as range isn't the limiting factor for the a318 on the route but ability to take of with enough fuel out of LCY would a CS100 really be able to take off from LCY with enough fuel to make JFK?


Bombardier demonstrated the CS100 flying LCY-JFK earlier this year.


Impressive, makes you wonder just how short the babybus is taking off from LCY on fuel if they fuelled to the max possible for taking off on that runway
Must think up a new one soon, slow moving brain trying to get into gear ;)
 
vv701
Posts: 5895
Joined: Fri Aug 19, 2005 10:54 am

Re: British Airways A318 and LCY operations

Wed May 24, 2017 10:47 am

Never say never.

However there is a listing of BA aircraft currently scheduled for repainting this year and next year in the current 'BA LHR Paint Shop' thread. Listed as 20th and last of those aircraft scheduled to be repainted at DUB this year is 318 G-EUNA. So it is a reasonably safe assumption to say that today BA are not considering discontinuing their BA001/02 LCY JFK rotation. But, of course, everything could change tomorrow.

However on this evidence my GUESS is that G-EUNA, effectively backed up by 'NB, will be operating LCY-SNN-JFK-LCY for several years yet.
 
Andy33
Posts: 2522
Joined: Tue Sep 15, 2009 9:30 am

Re: British Airways A318 and LCY operations

Wed May 24, 2017 11:31 am

Well, certainly until 2020, a few months after Crossrail/Elizabeth Line opens in 2019. At that point BA will find out if there is enough leakage of passengers currently using LCY-JFK to flights from LHR to make the route non-viable. Of course the leakage could be towards the LCY-JFK service instead, but the almost hourly AA/BA JV service out of LHR is a powerful draw.
 
User avatar
TedToToe
Posts: 626
Joined: Mon Dec 08, 2014 11:43 pm

Re: British Airways A318 and LCY operations

Wed May 24, 2017 2:05 pm

For Crossrail, there is still the issue of track access to be sorted out with HAL. Even then, it is due to terminate at T4 and not T5. Both issues are to protect the lucrative Heathrow Express!
 
SelseyBill
Posts: 713
Joined: Wed Jul 17, 2013 7:38 pm

Re: British Airways A318 and LCY operations

Wed May 31, 2017 11:13 am

Andy33 wrote:
Well, certainly until 2020, a few months after Crossrail/Elizabeth Line opens in 2019. At that point BA will find out if there is enough leakage of passengers currently using LCY-JFK to flights from LHR to make the route non-viable. Of course the leakage could be towards the LCY-JFK service instead, but the almost hourly AA/BA JV service out of LHR is a powerful draw.


.......yes, 'Crossrail' will have an impact on LCY; but at present there is the small problem that currently LCY will not have a railway station on 'Crossrail/ 'ElizabethLine'. The original plans (deliberately?) excluded a rail station @ LCY, firstly because under Mayor Johnsons 'Boris island' proposal; local politicians wanted LCY closed for housing expansion, and under the current mayor TfL wants LCY themselves to fund the new station. A year ago, LCY said they will self-fund the new station, but they say TfL has refused planning permission; which they deny, saying that LCY had not submitted a 'feasibility study'.

I think there is still strong local political thinking that LCY should be closed altogether.

Don't know what the latest news is, but I doubt when 'Crossrail' opens LCY will be served. Rail users transferring from LCY to LHR will have to change trains at Canary Wharf I guess, probably until the mid 2020's....... train journey time from Canary Wharf to LHR is projected at 40 minutes

Any Londoners know the latest on this ?
 
User avatar
JannEejit
Posts: 1420
Joined: Sat Jun 18, 2016 4:04 pm

Re: British Airways A318 and LCY operations

Wed May 31, 2017 11:19 am

vv701 wrote:
.

However on this evidence my GUESS is that G-EUNA, effectively backed up by 'NB, will be operating LCY-SNN-JFK-LCY for several years yet.


That sounds like BA have a special deal with Titan to lease 'NB' when required, would that be the case, or are we simply talking about normal ad-hoc cover when required ?
 
SelseyBill
Posts: 713
Joined: Wed Jul 17, 2013 7:38 pm

Re: British Airways A318 and LCY operations

Wed May 31, 2017 11:25 am

Clydenairways wrote:
The only way i can see this route remaining is if BA outsourced it to another operator in their behalf.... With only one A318 left it is nearly gone anyway. Either Titan could operate the whole route for them, with the two A318's.... and then a CS100 operator could be sourced to take over with a non stop operation..... Maybe someone like Privat Air, who specialize in this premium market already.




.......struggling to think of another LCY operator with a large Bombardier fleet who might look at flying a CS100 for BA, who flies with and for plenty of other airlines and operates in the 'Avios' programme !!! (Sarcasm detectors switched on please ?)

'FlyB........ no wait......!!!
 
User avatar
hOMSaR
Posts: 2254
Joined: Tue Jan 19, 2010 4:47 am

Re: British Airways A318 and LCY operations

Wed May 31, 2017 11:41 am

SelseyBill wrote:
.......yes, 'Crossrail' will have an impact on LCY; but at present there is the small problem that currently LCY will not have a railway station on 'Crossrail/ 'ElizabethLine'.

Don't know what the latest news is, but I doubt when 'Crossrail' opens LCY will be served. Rail users transferring from LCY to LHR will have to change trains at Canary Wharf I guess, probably until the mid 2020's....... train journey time from Canary Wharf to LHR is projected at 40 minutes


That's not a problem, as LCY-LHR transfers aren't really that relevant of a market. Someone arriving at LCY to connect to go to New York (how many connections are there on BA1/2, anyway?) will have a choice of, almost literally, every other European gateway to connect to New York (or nonstops from their own home city).

The point is that Crossrail would make LHR more convenient for people who are in parts of London where LCY is currently more convenient. Those folks aren't starting/ending their trip at LCY, so there's no need for the train to directly serve LCY for it to have an effect on the LCY-JFK market.
The plural of Airbus is Airbuses. Airbii is not a word.
There is no 787-800, nor 787-900 or 747-800. It's 787-8, 787-9, and 747-8.
A321neoLR is also unnecessary. It's simply A321LR.
Airplanes don't have isles, they have aisles.
 
vv701
Posts: 5895
Joined: Fri Aug 19, 2005 10:54 am

Re: British Airways A318 and LCY operations

Thu Jun 01, 2017 1:49 pm

JannEejit wrote:

That sounds like BA have a special deal with Titan to lease 'NB' when required, would that be the case, or are we simply talking about normal ad-hoc cover when required ?


Titan is usually BA's first port of call for additional capacity. The frequency and length of routine maintenance of 'NA is totally predictable. So to me it would be surprising if BA did not contract to wet lease 'NB from Titan well in advance to cover planned, routine maintenance. Equally it is likely that Titan would welcome such a contract. After all when flown in the current all-J configuration there is little if any alternative to ad hoc charters for 'NB from any other source.

Cover for unscheduled maintenance and other problems impacting 'NA would be a different matter. But it is likely that Titan would give BA priority wherever 'NB was needed and available. Note here that a significant source of ad hoc work for 'NB would likely be from Premier League and other major sports teams. Their demand would likely be higher at weekends when LCY is closed and BA001/02 is not operating.
 
APYu
Posts: 490
Joined: Fri Sep 21, 2007 10:23 pm

Re: British Airways A318 and LCY operations

Thu Jun 01, 2017 2:00 pm

vv701 wrote:
JannEejit wrote:
.
Cover for unscheduled maintenance and other problems impacting 'NA would be a different matter. But it is likely that Titan would give BA priority wherever 'NB was needed and available. .


Cover for unscheduled maintenance would be pretty much impossible / pointless for Titan. Whilst they could soon probably get the a/c and crew to LCY to operate an outbound - they would have no crew in JFK to operate the more popular return service until the following day
We'd like to welcome in particular our Executive Club members and those joining us from our Oneworld alliance partners.
 
User avatar
hongkongflyer
Posts: 738
Joined: Tue Oct 28, 2014 8:23 am

Re: British Airways A318 and LCY operations

Thu Jun 01, 2017 3:15 pm

APYu wrote:
vv701 wrote:
JannEejit wrote:
.
Cover for unscheduled maintenance and other problems impacting 'NA would be a different matter. But it is likely that Titan would give BA priority wherever 'NB was needed and available. .


Cover for unscheduled maintenance would be pretty much impossible / pointless for Titan. Whilst they could soon probably get the a/c and crew to LCY to operate an outbound - they would have no crew in JFK to operate the more popular return service until the following day


Even BA keeps the "B" plane as a spare plane, if "A" goes tech in JFK, they will have to wait for the "B" to fly all the way from LCY to cover the return service.
For the crews, some of them can be dead head to JFK onboard the flight to JFK and do the return service.
For the worst case, I believe it is not that difficult to rebook those passangers into other BA's flights unless it happened during the peak traveling period.
 
TUGMASTER
Posts: 1062
Joined: Wed Jul 07, 2004 8:56 pm

Re: British Airways A318 and LCY operations

Thu Jun 01, 2017 4:51 pm

"NB" has been at LHR since last weekend, albeit in an all white scheme.
I suspect it is because if BA need it very quickly , they can use the relevant Qualified BA flight crew from LHR as per usual.
I also wonder if "NB" was STN based whether Titan would have the relevant crew to fly into LCY.
OTH, if Titan has work for the 318, it would be well planned in advance. So they could easily send a crew from STN to LHR to pick up the aircraft.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos