Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

CriticalPoint

Re: Delta pilot hits female passenger

Sun Apr 30, 2017 2:22 am

77H wrote:
Planetalk wrote:
CriticalPoint wrote:

When at a cross road you can choose to act like a child or act like an adult. Had Dao gotten up and got off the jet he wouldn't have been hurt. He could have written a letter, complained even tried to sue United for being removed later. But his decision to be a child got him hurt.

I'm not defending United or the security company, I'm simply saying that grown ups don't act the way he did. You don't have to agree with authority or the rules but you do need to listen. There avenues to take to change the rules or remove s person from authority but being a brat is not it.

So you get on a plane, sit in your seat, someone asks you to leave for no good reason and you'd just get up and go? Really? I mean good for you but some of us have a spine.

How was that being a child? They had no right to remove him. Do you regularly let people walk all over you and say nothing? It wasn't his decision that got him hurt, it was people assaulting him without any cause. Jeez, in your world the authorities can go round assaulting anyone they like if they don't follow illegal requests and it will always be that person's fault. Did you ever consider retiring in North Korea?

You realize the authorities assault people and trample on their rights everyday in the United States don't you ? In today's US, it's better to comply with authorities and fight it in the courts rather than get the crap beat out of you.

^^^^^THIS.

Be an adult and pick your battles. Critical thinking is key, what are the consequences at this crossroad?

77H

Sun Apr 30, 2017 2:22 am

Planetalk wrote:
CriticalPoint wrote:
jumbojet wrote:

With the exception of the United debacle, these incidents happen more often than we care to think its just that the main stream news media is now writing about all of these insane incidents.

Really? The lady getting dragged down the aisle of a Delta jet a few months ago in DTW wasn't similar to the United incident???

Com'on man!!!!

Jumbo it's ok buddy not everything needs to be compared to United. But I agree this stuff is very common because society is falling apart. Adults are forgettting how to be grown ups and are acting like children. Civilized society is crumbling and it's being caught in Camara. Whether it's Dao acting like a spoiled entitled brat, a woman crying because she couldn't get her way with a stroller, a grown man that doesn't know when to go to the bathroom or 2 women having a brawl in a jet bridge. Adults no longer have any respect for authority or themselves........that's the sad truth in all of this.

Yes it's all the passengers fault and never authority?! Are you really that subservient to any kind of authority? Seems to be a comment trait in a lot of posts from USA lately and it's quite alarming, as it goes with certain very undesirable political systems.

So a guy gets assaulted, dragged off a plane, illegally by the way, and you blame him. At the point united decided to remove him it was them behaving unlawfully. It actually should have been him calling the cops and them intervening on his behalf. Why do you automatically defend authority even when it behaves unlawfully? I'm glad Dr. Dao took a stand, someone has to when authority overstretches. No doubt you'd have called Rosa Parks an entitled brat as well.

It was the airline staff who have no respect, for the law, or their customers, in many of these cases. And they need to be reminded they are not above the law, and cannot have citizens beaten up because the airline screwed up and now they need to get rid of someone to fix it. That is borderline facism for god's sake.

I really hope you aren't truly trying to compare Dr. Dao To Rosa Parks. Vastly different situations. Rosa Parks was standing up against discriminatory law aimed at preventing equality. Dr. Dao was a passenger on a commercial airline who decided he wasn't getting the short straw. We can all agree UA could have handled the situation differently but comparing him to Rosa Parks is a stretch too far.

Planetalk

Sun Apr 30, 2017 2:26 am

77H wrote:
Planetalk wrote:
CriticalPoint wrote:

When at a cross road you can choose to act like a child or act like an adult. Had Dao gotten up and got off the jet he wouldn't have been hurt. He could have written a letter, complained even tried to sue United for being removed later. But his decision to be a child got him hurt.

I'm not defending United or the security company, I'm simply saying that grown ups don't act the way he did. You don't have to agree with authority or the rules but you do need to listen. There avenues to take to change the rules or remove s person from authority but being a brat is not it.

So you get on a plane, sit in your seat, someone asks you to leave for no good reason and you'd just get up and go? Really? I mean good for you but some of us have a spine.

How was that being a child? They had no right to remove him. Do you regularly let people walk all over you and say nothing? It wasn't his decision that got him hurt, it was people assaulting him without any cause. Jeez, in your world the authorities can go round assaulting anyone they like if they don't follow illegal requests and it will always be that person's fault. Did you ever consider retiring in North Korea?

You realize the authorities assault people and trample on their rights everyday in the United States don't you ? In today's US, it's better to comply with authorities and fight it in the courts rather than get the crap beat out of you.

Yeh I don't disbelieve you, a sad state of affairs though, no? Sadly I suspect just writing letters as another suggested is probably not going to tip the balance of power back to a fair level.

Planetalk

Sun Apr 30, 2017 2:28 am

77H wrote:
Planetalk wrote:
CriticalPoint wrote:

Really? The lady getting dragged down the aisle of a Delta jet a few months ago in DTW wasn't similar to the United incident???

Com'on man!!!!

Jumbo it's ok buddy not everything needs to be compared to United. But I agree this stuff is very common because society is falling apart. Adults are forgettting how to be grown ups and are acting like children. Civilized society is crumbling and it's being caught in Camara. Whether it's Dao acting like a spoiled entitled brat, a woman crying because she couldn't get her way with a stroller, a grown man that doesn't know when to go to the bathroom or 2 women having a brawl in a jet bridge. Adults no longer have any respect for authority or themselves........that's the sad truth in all of this.

Yes it's all the passengers fault and never authority?! Are you really that subservient to any kind of authority? Seems to be a comment trait in a lot of posts from USA lately and it's quite alarming, as it goes with certain very undesirable political systems.

So a guy gets assaulted, dragged off a plane, illegally by the way, and you blame him. At the point united decided to remove him it was them behaving unlawfully. It actually should have been him calling the cops and them intervening on his behalf. Why do you automatically defend authority even when it behaves unlawfully? I'm glad Dr. Dao took a stand, someone has to when authority overstretches. No doubt you'd have called Rosa Parks an entitled brat as well.

It was the airline staff who have no respect, for the law, or their customers, in many of these cases. And they need to be reminded they are not above the law, and cannot have citizens beaten up because the airline screwed up and now they need to get rid of someone to fix it. That is borderline facism for god's sake.

I really hope you aren't truly trying to compare Dr. Dao To Rosa Parks. Vastly different situations. Rosa Parks was standing up against discriminatory law aimed at preventing equality. Dr. Dao was a passenger on a commercial airline who decided he wasn't getting the short straw. We can all agree UA could have handled the situation differently but comparing him to Rosa Parks is a stretch too far.

No I'm not comparing him to Rosa Parks, but rather the unquestioning belief that authority should never be questioned. And it does feel to me that actually maybe we are at a point where we need a few Rosa Park's because we are definitely on a slippery slope...

Mayday111

Sun Apr 30, 2017 2:37 am

flymia wrote:
This is ridiculous. This is the world we live in now, just click bait headlines and racist comments. Pilot did nothing wrong, these days it's all about taking a camera out and doing nothing. One women was held in a choke hold. Pilot tried to resolve the situation, unlike anyone else there.

Ridiculous media coverage and ridiculous thread title.

What's happened to the world.

I agree.

CriticalPoint

Sun Apr 30, 2017 2:37 am

Planetalk wrote:
77H wrote:
Planetalk wrote:

No I'm not comparing him to Rosa Parks, but rather the unquestioning belief that authority should never be questioned. And it does feel to me that actually maybe we are at a point where we need a few Rosa Park's because we are definitely on a slippery slope...

We do need more Rosa Parks moments I'm in full agreement with you. But again choose your battles, civil rights was worth fighting for. Rosa acted like an adult and had dignity and self respect........these children the last few weeks had non of that.

If you choose to resist and stand up against authority be prepared to get a busted nose an/or arrested, Rosa was arrested and fined.

Planetalk

Sun Apr 30, 2017 3:47 am

CriticalPoint wrote:
Planetalk wrote:
77H wrote:

We do need more Rosa Parks moments I'm in full agreement with you. But again choose your battles, civil rights was worth fighting for. Rosa acted like an adult and had dignity and self respect........these children the last few weeks had non of that.

If you choose to resist and stand up against authority be prepared to get a busted nose an/or arrested, Rosa was arrested and fined.

I hoped we'd moved on from then. But OK, authorities can do what they want, bust you up, break your bones, illegally by the way, and you can write a letter afterwards. Seems fair?

I don't see how Dr. Dao was anything but decent. There was no legal reason for him to leave his seat. Would you let police into your house without warrant or reason? Honestly? Or would you tell them to come back when they have a warrant? Does that make you a child? I don't think so, it means you're upholding the values your country is supposed to be founded on.

catiii

Sun Apr 30, 2017 3:50 am

jumbojet wrote:
sadiqutp wrote:
The drama is just insane these days :banghead:

The captain might have no business to be involved, but to ignore the obscene behavior by the passengers and turn the spotlight into the captain who clearly just wanted to break up the fight is nothing short of ridiculous

With the exception of the United debacle, these incidents happen more often than we care to think its just that the main stream news media is now writing about all of these insane incidents.

Really? Delta pilots smack around passengers on a regular basis? Good to know.

Don't worry Jumbo, Gil has it ALL under control. Funny though how when something happens at Delta, you suddenly fall into the "business as usual at Delta" narrative. By the way, has Ed come back from Palm Beach yet?

CriticalPoint

Sun Apr 30, 2017 3:56 am

Planetalk wrote:
CriticalPoint wrote:
Planetalk wrote:

I hoped we'd moved on from then. But OK, authorities can do what they want, bust you up, break your bones, illegally by the way, and you can write a letter afterwards. Seems fair?

I don't see how Dr. Dao was anything but decent. There was no legal reason for him to leave his seat. Would you let police into your house without warrant or reason? Honestly? Or would you tell them to come back when they have a warrant? Does that make you a child? I don't think so, it means you're upholding the values your country is supposed to be founded on.

The police wont show up at my door or anyone else's door without a warrant or a reason.......so it's irrelevant.

Dao was screaming like a child and told the police they were going to have to drag him off the plane.....childish.....certainly not an adult that is acting descent.

Planetalk

Sun Apr 30, 2017 4:03 am

CriticalPoint wrote:
Planetalk wrote:
CriticalPoint wrote:

The police wont show up at my door or anyone else's door without a warrant or a reason.......so it's irrelevant.

Dao was screaming like a child and told the police they were going to have to drag him off the plane.....childish.....certainly not an adult that is acting descent.

So you wouldn't? That's all you needed to say. I assume that Dao screaming like a Child he would have to be dragged off the plane is the same as someone screaming like a child that the police would have to force their door down if they tried to enter unlawfully? Why is one different to the other?

I'm genuinely intrigued that you would just accept being taken off a plane for absolutely no legal reason. However important your journey? And accept assault as the logical consequence of upholding your legal rights?

rbavfan

Sun Apr 30, 2017 4:10 am

usflyguy wrote:
727200 wrote:
maybe WN, especially if you see who fly's on them?

Well, it happened on UA, DL, and AA already so that tells you more about their class of passenger than anything.

Wait till AA's new 17 seat 737-8/8max replaces the 160 seats there now. Welcome to 29/30" seat on the major airlines.

CriticalPoint

Sun Apr 30, 2017 4:12 am

Planetalk wrote:
CriticalPoint wrote:
Planetalk wrote:

So you wouldn't? That's all you needed to say. I assume that Dao screaming like a Child he would have to be dragged off the plane is the same as someone screaming like a child that the police would have to force their door down if they tried to enter unlawfully? Why is one different to the other?

I'm genuinely intrigued that you would just accept being taken off a plane for absolutely no legal reason. However important your journey? And accept assault as the logical consequence of upholding your legal rights?

If the cops want to come in my house they are going to come in my house it doesn't matter how much I kick or scream that's just the way it is. Sure I can fight back but what's the point I'm just going to get hurt........Might as well just let it happen and fight it in the courts later.

Anyways this is my last statement on this subject as we are way off the tracks. What ever happened to the old adage "life isn't fair"? What ever happened to "suck it up butter cup"? Sometimes life sucks, not everybody is going to like you and you can't always have your way. Get up shake it off rub some dirt in it and move on.

I stand by my original statement GROW UP AND ACT LIKE ADULTS. Maybe then you will be treated like adults.

Also I have no legal right to be on an airplane. I have no right to be on an airplane at all. The airlines are businesses you are buying a service from and as a business airlines have the right to refuse you service. You are NOT entitled to travel across the country in 6 hours. You have the right to drive, walk, fly, canoe or ride a horse. Pick anyone but you are not entitled to a seat on an aircraft.
Last edited by CriticalPoint on Sun Apr 30, 2017 4:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

rbavfan

Sun Apr 30, 2017 4:13 am

clrd4t8koff wrote:
No, no, no! I don't care what's happening. A pilot never has a reason to hit a female (or male) passenger!

https://www.google.com/amp/www.nydailyn ... -1.3116907

So slapping her "which they do to calm down hysterical people" as it takes their mind off what they are doing stupid is worse than them nearly knocking the person out of the wheelchair? Did you notice after it happened they quit the fight!

Planetalk

Sun Apr 30, 2017 4:23 am

CriticalPoint wrote:

Also I have no legal right to be on an airplane. I have no right to be on an airplane at all. The airlines are businesses you are buying a service from and as a business airlines have the right to refuse you service. You are NOT entitled to travel across the country in 6 hours. You have the right to drive, walk, fly, canoe or ride a horse. Pick anyone but you are not entitled to a seat on an aircraft.

Go and read your conditions of carriage and come back. That's like saying you have no legal right to an apple you just bought at the store, and staff can just take if off you without reason. I guess you wouldn't react You're deliberately conflating there being no human right to fly, with your rights when you have purchased the product, and the legal reasons a company can then take if off you.
Last edited by Planetalk on Sun Apr 30, 2017 4:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

IPFreely

Sun Apr 30, 2017 4:24 am

rbavfan wrote:
Did you notice after it happened they quit the fight!

Just because the video ended doesn't mean the fight did.

Max Q

Sun Apr 30, 2017 4:31 am

Not your job to get involved and a really bad idea, doesn't look like he hit anyone to me but his job is to fly
the plane, getting mixed up in an issue like this will rarely work out well.
The best contribution to safety is a competent Pilot.

GGg

TWA772LR

Sun Apr 30, 2017 4:38 am

clrd4t8koff wrote:
No, no, no! I don't care what's happening. A pilot never has a reason to hit a female (or male) passenger!

Unless a person is putting the pilot's life/well being, or anyone else's life/well being or the airplane, in jeopardy. Yes I red the article and it happened in the terminal. Just being semantic.
When wasn't America great?

The thoughts and opinions shared under this username are mine and are not influenced by my employer.

C767P

Sun Apr 30, 2017 4:42 am

Planetalk wrote:

I challenge you to stand near a gate podium for ONE flight to hear the stuff gate agents have to put up with.

So many people seem to think that all of these cases are airlines picking on perfect angels. The reason why the idiot doctor gets blamed for being dragged off the airplane is because he was asked to do something multiple times and told the police to drag him off. He said it to the wrong person, not that any of that makes it right but I understand how it gets to that point.

The Delta passenger last week with the bathroom ordeal was likely told multiple times to sit back down due to them being on a taxiway.

People do not list. Period. They are in their own little world and everything and anything they want to do is ok because they want to do it. Someone tells them otherwise and its THEM who we need to blame.

In this latest mess the Delta pilot should have just gone back into the flight deck. If the world wants to beat itself up, I intend to let them do it.

CriticalPoint

Sun Apr 30, 2017 4:52 am

C767P wrote:
Planetalk wrote:

I challenge you to stand near a gate podium for ONE flight to hear the stuff gate agents have to put up with.

So many people seem to think that all of these cases are airlines picking on perfect angels. The reason why the idiot doctor gets blamed for being dragged off the airplane is because he was asked to do something multiple times and told the police to drag him off. He said it to the wrong person, not that any of that makes it right but I understand how it gets to that point.

The Delta passenger last week with the bathroom ordeal was likely told multiple times to sit back down due to them being on a taxiway.

People do not list. Period. They are in their own little world and everything and anything they want to do is ok because they want to do it. Someone tells them otherwise and its THEM who we need to blame.

In this latest mess the Delta pilot should have just gone back into the flight deck. If the world wants to beat itself up, I intend to let them do it.

Well said

edmaircraft

Sun Apr 30, 2017 5:08 am

ozark1 wrote:
What a pathetic society we are . If the pilot had just ignored it all, it would be "DELTA PILOT IGNORES FIGHT!!". Keep on with your National Enquirer like beliefs.

Second...
Let me up!

Q

Sun Apr 30, 2017 5:52 am

It can be anywhere at Amtrak, Train metro, Greyhound, Cruises, airports and shopping malls almost everyday people are act so dumb things!

Q

77H

Sun Apr 30, 2017 6:53 am

Planetalk wrote:
CriticalPoint wrote:
Planetalk wrote:

Correct me if I'm wrong but I believe you brought up the Dao incident by comparing him to Rosa Parks.

Additionally, no one is arguing the legality of police overreach and brutality. I was simply stating the reality of our country today. And I hope you realize you have more recourse to combat police overreach or perceived company wrongdoing than write a letter. But, what most people are arguing is that 9/10 it's better to just comply in the moment and battle it later.

You know what the difference between the UA incident with Dr. Dao and the DL incident with the gentleman who got up to use the bathroom ? The latter customer eventually got up when asked. It was nothing that DL did differently. As a matter of fact DL refunded part of his ticket and left him to find his own way to where he was going. I understand the circumstances were different but make no mistake that if that gentleman hadn't gotten up it would have likely ended in the same way.

77H

scbriml

Sun Apr 30, 2017 7:49 am

jagraham wrote:
You would rather the employees stand by and do nothing until the cops show up???

I wouldn't have an issue with that at all. More times than not, getting involved in someone else's fight is a bad idea. :shakehead:

Then again, I don't feel the need to hit a woman to validate my manhood.
Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana!
There are 10 types of people in the World - those that understand binary and those that don't.

art

Sun Apr 30, 2017 8:45 am

grbauc wrote:
Oh for hecks sake the drama these days. He was trying to break the fight up how ever not in a good way. It wasn't even a punch it was him trying to break the grip of one of the fighters off the other so they can break the fight up... No need for a 100 page lets all weigh are judgement on the situation tread..

Agree with your comments. I would have a lower opinion of the pilot if he had just walked past without physically intervening to try to curtail a highly undesirable situation (2 people fighting in an airport).

Planetalk

Sun Apr 30, 2017 9:24 am

77H wrote:
Planetalk wrote:
CriticalPoint wrote:

Correct me if I'm wrong but I believe you brought up the Dao incident by comparing him to Rosa Parks.

Additionally, no one is arguing the legality of police overreach and brutality. I was simply stating the reality of our country today. And I hope you realize you have more recourse to combat police overreach or perceived company wrongdoing than write a letter. But, what most people are arguing is that 9/10 it's better to just comply in the moment and battle it later.

You know what the difference between the UA incident with Dr. Dao and the DL incident with the gentleman who got up to use the bathroom ? The latter customer eventually got up when asked. It was nothing that DL did differently. As a matter of fact DL refunded part of his ticket and left him to find his own way to where he was going. I understand the circumstances were different but make no mistake that if that gentleman hadn't gotten up it would have likely ended in the same way.

77H

I don't think most people outside of the USA are arguing that at all. I think most reasonable people consider it fairly ridiculous that the starting position. Is :let the state assault you, complain afterwards. And then americans call Europe 'state run'.its hilarious. In Europe people actually stand up to this crap. Maybe we're not as soft as you think.

You think Dr Dao should have just politely gotten up, without given a reason, and vacated his seat, because he was told to. I don't actually believe you would do the same if a particular flight was important to you, and never mind if it was or wasn't it was the AIRLINE that broke that law. They admitted it, the city admitted it, you do realise you have absolutely nothing to back up your position that the passenger was wrong? It's been settled , the airline screwed up, and it lost a lot of money. And it seems it's actually made some positive policy changes for passengers. Society decided you can't beat people up for not giving up their seat. Welcome to society.

Planetalk

Sun Apr 30, 2017 9:27 am

77H wrote:
Planetalk wrote:
CriticalPoint wrote:

77H

And no, it's not better 'to just comply'. You really know nothing about what a lot of people in your country put up with do you?

77H

Sun Apr 30, 2017 9:51 am

Planetalk wrote:
77H wrote:
Planetalk wrote:

77H

And no, it's not better 'to just comply'. You really know nothing about what a lot of people in your country put up with do you?

As a minority in the United States I think I'm well aware and quite qualified on just what "a lot of people in my country put up with", based on personal experience. For many, the majority of whom are minority, noncompliance can land you in the morgue quite quickly. Until such a time were people in the United States take a real stand against police overreach, brutality as well as the twisted justice system, you can bet your bottom dollar I'd get off the plane, out of the car, etc.

I used to have the same mentality you speak of. Stand up in the now, push back against the overreaching authorities. Then I saw week after week another civilian gunned down in the streets, choked to death and the list goes on and on.

In a country where noncompliance ends far too often with a citizen in a body bag, a cop on paid leave and a prosecutor and jury unwilling to indict and get justice my stance will remain as such. Many people in this country were equally as quick to defend the police on the UA flight as there were people in outrage. It's better to be alive and inconvenienced than be right and dead. That does me no good. What does me good, and a host of other people who have found themselves in the crosshairs of the police is to record everything. Record, make it public and get people talking about the subject. Dr. Dao could have made a positive impact without getting the crap beat out of him.

I am not saying any of it is right, it is however the reality we Americans live in.
Anything else you need me to clarify surrounding the police in modern America?

As we are getting off topic feel free to send me a private message if you'd like to discuss further.

77H

Aptivaboy

Sun Apr 30, 2017 4:25 pm

What a pathetic society we are . If the pilot had just ignored it all, it would be "DELTA PILOT IGNORES FIGHT!!". Keep on with your National Enquirer like beliefs.
:checkmark:

You said it. The pilot is damned if he does, damned if he doesn't. And, as far as slaps or strikes go, that was nothing. I've been slapped harder by my cat when she's demanding kitty treats. I hardly think that that "hit" is as bad as some are making it out to be. If you want to see some real hits, come to my martial arts class later this afternoon. My broken collarbone has finally healed...
Last edited by Aptivaboy on Sun Apr 30, 2017 4:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

SFOformerFA

Sun Apr 30, 2017 4:30 pm

i'm sure this event will be barely noticed by the press and social media compared to the UA incident. Funny how that happens.

gzm

Sun Apr 30, 2017 4:43 pm

In my humble opinion a pilot's job is to fly airplanes which entails a lot of responsibilities and not to get involved in situations so much beneath him. It's none of his business whether you agree or not.

thepinkmachine

Sun Apr 30, 2017 5:07 pm

gzm wrote:
In my humble opinion a pilot's job is to fly airplanes which entails a lot of responsibilities and not to get involved in situations so much beneath him. It's none of his business whether you agree or not.

Not so. The captain's duty is first and foremost, to ensure the safety of his passengers and enforce order if necessary. We may discuss the minutiae ad nauseum, i.e. whether at the jetbridge the said women (stupid cows is a better description, though) were under his jurisdiction, or not.

The bottom line is, however, that in case of an altercation or other conflict on board, the captain has not only the authority, but an obligation to intervene - either himself, or via other crew members, or security personnel. One just CANNOT turn a blind eye the an open fight between two passengers! He has to use all the available means to stop it, especially if it endangers the safety of others (as it did in the video)

Those to fighting females should be arrested and fined severely. A sa Captain myself, I've had police drag people off board for less serious offences - though these decisions are never taken lightly, nor we ever do it for fun.

As for a man slapping a woman - if they want to be treated like a lady, they first need to behave like one.
"Tell my wife I am trawling Atlantis - and I still have my hands on the wheel…"

BravoOne

Sun Apr 30, 2017 5:10 pm

If only the news told the bigger story....the trash of our society who can't act mature and civil in public, do what they do, and fight like dogs and cats. Stupid DL pilot steps in to break the strangle hold that one of said trash had on other trash. The pilot did not hit the woman in the face as he was striking her arm in a feeble attempt to have her stop choking the other piece of trash involved in the fight. I would simply stood back and hope that they both succumbed to their injuries, thus getting rid of one more problem. Remember these folks are all around in the airports and may be sitting next to soon.

Caspian27

Sun Apr 30, 2017 5:27 pm

Planetalk wrote:
CriticalPoint wrote:
Planetalk wrote:

The problem with your analogy is that an airline seat doesn't belong to you at all. You don't "own" the seat like you own a house. The seats belong to the airline and a passenger is just borrowing them. It doesn't become an inviolate space like your home.
Meanwhile, somewhere 35,000 ft above your head...

Planetalk

Sun Apr 30, 2017 5:36 pm

Caspian27 wrote:
Planetalk wrote:
CriticalPoint wrote:

The problem with your analogy is that an airline seat doesn't belong to you at all. You don't "own" the seat like you own a house. The seats belong to the airline and a passenger is just borrowing them. It doesn't become an inviolate space like your home.

Well actually most people are renting their house, and there are laws about when the landlord is allowed to enter, and under what circumstances the landlord can ask someone to leave. Well in the UK at least. So actually, very similar. Even for most owners it's actually the bank who owns the house.

Why are people continuing to defend the airline long after it admitted culpability, and the city itself said the officers behaved incorrectly? It's quite staggering how far people will go to defend corporations above people.

Planetalk

Sun Apr 30, 2017 5:40 pm

77H wrote:
Planetalk wrote:
77H wrote:

77H

As a minority in the United States I think I'm well aware and quite qualified on just what "a lot of people in my country put up with", based on personal experience. For many, the majority of whom are minority, noncompliance can land you in the morgue quite quickly. Until such a time were people in the United States take a real stand against police overreach, brutality as well as the twisted justice system, you can bet your bottom dollar I'd get off the plane, out of the car, etc.

I used to have the same mentality you speak of. Stand up in the now, push back against the overreaching authorities. Then I saw week after week another civilian gunned down in the streets, choked to death and the list goes on and on.

In a country where noncompliance ends far too often with a citizen in a body bag, a cop on paid leave and a prosecutor and jury unwilling to indict and get justice my stance will remain as such. Many people in this country were equally as quick to defend the police on the UA flight as there were people in outrage. It's better to be alive and inconvenienced than be right and dead. That does me no good. What does me good, and a host of other people who have found themselves in the crosshairs of the police is to record everything. Record, make it public and get people talking about the subject. Dr. Dao could have made a positive impact without getting the crap beat out of him.

I am not saying any of it is right, it is however the reality we Americans live in.

As we are getting off topic feel free to send me a private message if you'd like to discuss further.

77H

I appreciate your response, and I feel for you. I am fortunate purely through accident of birth not to have experienced this, or sexism, and know I am lucky. I can only know from accounts from from friends, family just how much crap people put up with.

I don't see how that means someone who does stand up for their rights, and is shown afterwards to have been completely correct, should be insulted and judged negatively though?

scbriml

Sun Apr 30, 2017 5:41 pm

thepinkmachine wrote:
The bottom line is, however, that in case of an altercation or other conflict on board, the captain has not only the authority, but an obligation to intervene - either himself, or via other crew members, or security personnel.

Well, they weren't on the plane, so why not just let security deal with them?

thepinkmachine wrote:
As for a man slapping a woman - if they want to be treated like a lady, they first need to behave like one.

The 1970s called. They're missing you.
Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana!
There are 10 types of people in the World - those that understand binary and those that don't.

BravoOne

Sun Apr 30, 2017 5:48 pm

clrd4t8koff wrote:

https://www.google.com/amp/www.nydailyn ... -1.3116907

Actually it turns out he did as she had a choke hold on the other scumbag. The woman was unable to breath. So very typical of he ANET crowd to jump all over something without the facts then turn it into racist event to boot.

thepinkmachine

Sun Apr 30, 2017 5:57 pm

scbriml wrote:
Well, they weren't on the plane, so why not just let security deal with them?

If they were there, then of course, it's their job to sort it out (and probably they'd be even less gentle than the said pilot). Before they arrive, however, it's still the captain's obligation to use all available means enforce order - even resorting to restraint.

The 1970s called. They're missing you.

It's not the 1970's. It's called 'common sense' - something that often appears to be missing these days...
"Tell my wife I am trawling Atlantis - and I still have my hands on the wheel…"

CriticalPoint

Sun Apr 30, 2017 6:43 pm

Planetalk wrote:
77H wrote:
Planetalk wrote:

77H

I appreciate your response, and I feel for you. I am fortunate purely through accident of birth not to have experienced this, or sexism, and know I am lucky. I can only know from accounts from from friends, family just how much crap people put up with.

I don't see how that means someone who does stand up for their rights, and is shown afterwards to have been completely correct, should be insulted and judged negatively though?

United cut off its toe to save its foot. As I said pick your battles. United decided it was cheaper and better for the company to admit fault and pay out than drag this out and fight.

Have you ever just agreed with your wife to end the disagreement? even though she was wrong? Or do you have too much of a spine and dig your heels in to prove you are correct?

Planetalk

Sun Apr 30, 2017 7:00 pm

CriticalPoint wrote:
Planetalk wrote:
77H wrote:

77H

United cut off its toe to save its foot. As I said pick your battles. United decided it was cheaper and better for the company to admit fault and pay out than drag this out and fight.

Have you ever just agreed with your wife to end the disagreement? even though she was wrong? Or do you have too much of a spine and dig your heels in to prove you are correct?

OK, you know best, United were actually right. You even know the law better than the city authorities. Please quote the lawful reason they had to remove the man from the plane and which part of his contract of carriage he had broken? Or do airlines operate in a seperate world from the rest of everything?

I shouldn't really carry on this debate, your position is clear, anyone on a plane is fair game for assault for no reason, and airlines and the authorities are above the law for some strange reason. Please tell me if that's not right?

In the meantime, flying will probably get a little bit nicer for the rest of us because of what this man did, so I am rather grateful to him, and the passengers who filmed what happened. Maybe he was too stubborn, but it has resulted in actual policy changes at the corporation. Well done that man, if he'd done as you said, none of that would have happened. So maybe he picked the right battle for the rest of us?

manny

Sun Apr 30, 2017 7:04 pm

He is trying to separate them and not assaulting anyone.

CriticalPoint

Sun Apr 30, 2017 7:44 pm

Planetalk:

Have you ever seethe Ron White comedy skit where he talks about being thrown out of a bar? He says four big bouncers square off with him in the parking lot "Im not sure how many of them it would have taken to whoop my ass.....but I knew how many they were going to use. And that is a valuable piece of information."

If the police come on the plane to remove you there is no situation where they will leave without you. And that is a valuable piece of information.

777PHX

Sun Apr 30, 2017 8:52 pm

scbriml wrote:
FlyUSAir wrote:
Also, typical a.net bashing the pilot who did absolutely nothing wrong.

So a man slapping a woman is OK where you come from? :eyepopping:

I'm all for equal rights........and lefts.

Seriously though, anyone with half a brain realizes what that captain was trying to do. That wasn't a, "I'm trying to knock you out" sort of hit, that was a, "Hey, I'm trying to get your attention, here. Stop it!" sort of tap. That's why Delta isn't disciplining him and is supporting him.

Planetalk

Sun Apr 30, 2017 9:57 pm

CriticalPoint wrote:
Planetalk:

Have you ever seethe Ron White comedy skit where he talks about being thrown out of a bar? He says four big bouncers square off with him in the parking lot "Im not sure how many of them it would have taken to whoop my ass.....but I knew how many they were going to use. And that is a valuable piece of information."

If the police come on the plane to remove you there is no situation where they will leave without you. And that is a valuable piece of information.

No doubt, that doesn't mean they're right. Please make your mind up whether the passenger did something wrong, or actually, and this is your analogy not mine, the police turned into the equivalent of some nightclub bouncers looking for a ruck and had no authority to behave as they did? I note you didn't answer my question.

CALTECH

Sun Apr 30, 2017 10:04 pm

Delta Pilot cleared....

http://www.upi.com/Top_News/US/2017/04/ ... 493502521/

Maybe some should refresh on the rules of overbooking.....

https://www.transportation.gov/airconsumer/fly-rights
Last edited by CALTECH on Sun Apr 30, 2017 10:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
You are here.

CriticalPoint

Sun Apr 30, 2017 10:06 pm

Planetalk wrote:
CriticalPoint wrote:
Planetalk:

No doubt, that doesn't mean they're right. Please make your mind up whether the passenger did something wrong, or actually, and this is your analogy not mine, the police turned into the equivalent of some nightclub bouncers looking for a ruck and had no authority to behave as they did? I note you didn't answer my question.

I can't make my opinion on the matter any clearer to you if you can't figure it out then that's on you.

kiowa

Sun Apr 30, 2017 10:06 pm

zeke wrote:
Wonder if alcohol played a part here, it's odd behavior.

No, theDelta pilot did not appear intoxicated but I am glad to see he kept his hat on:)

SeaDoo

Sun Apr 30, 2017 10:25 pm

So the link didn't work for me, but I found it on youtube. I don't have any knowledge to what company policies are, but who cares if he did this? Are we becoming so inane as a society that a pilot can't chose to try and break up a fight between two people? Did he handle it how I would have, no. Should Delta get terrible publicity from this, no. We are becoming such a lame society that we don't want anyone to get involved. There are obviously risks involved, but do we want a society of neutered men who do nothing?

CALTECH

Sun Apr 30, 2017 10:59 pm

Took the blame and responsibility, but.....

https://www.transportation.gov/airconsumer/fly-rights
You are here.

surfdog75

Sun Apr 30, 2017 11:29 pm

Nice that someone had the cajones to step in before these two morons really hurt each other.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos