alfa164
Topic Author
Posts: 3020
Joined: Sat Oct 06, 2012 2:47 am

Aeroflot FA's say work being reduced because they are fat

Mon May 01, 2017 3:32 am

For everyone who complains about US-based airlines having "aunties" for crew... perhaps it is time to book a ticket on SU:

http://www.cnn.com/videos/world/2017/04 ... ay-pkg.cnn
Last edited by SQ22 on Mon May 01, 2017 4:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Typo fixed
I'm going to have a smokin' hot body again!
I have decided to be cremated....
 
Varsity1
Posts: 1955
Joined: Mon May 02, 2016 4:55 am

Re: Aeroflot FA's say work being reduce because they are fat

Mon May 01, 2017 3:44 am

I'm still amazed at how little work protections exist outside the US in 'developed' countries.
"PPRuNe will no longer allow discussions regarding Etihad Airlines, its employees, executives, agents, or other representatives. Such threads will be deleted." - ME3 thug airlines suing anyone who brings negative information public..
 
Flighty
Posts: 9963
Joined: Thu Apr 05, 2007 3:07 am

Re: Aeroflot FA's say work being reduce because they are fat

Mon May 01, 2017 3:55 am

You can't have it both ways. Either you have a completely fair professional work environment through age 65 and beyond... or you have a physical appearance-based workplace. Which is fine too.

I think that sometimes, you're past your prime in your career, whether it is waitressing, laying concrete, or being a Realtor, etc. There comes a time when you move on, the world waits for no one. Yes, in the US it is illegal to fire someone for being too old. But not, as far as I recall, for being ugly or fat. Those are valid reasons, (they are not protected classes), so far as I know.

The woman in the report looked nice and I am sure she must have been good at her job. Aeroflot should be civilized about this.
 
User avatar
MillwallSean
Posts: 945
Joined: Tue Apr 08, 2008 3:07 pm

Re: Aeroflot FA's say work being reduce because they are fat

Mon May 01, 2017 4:16 am

I think its not just the US which have aunties, Europe sees a fair bit of it too. I flew Thai recently and I doubt there was a single staff member under 40.
But the US is extreme with having senior OAPs, working the flights. I know people say they are very friendly, knowledgeable and more energetic than the average flying staff member (and I have no reason to doubt it) and I am sure they are amazing people. BUT I still don't think OAPs are appropriate as flying personnel. There should be a mandatory cut off age, say 60 or 65, just as there is for pilots.

The Aeroflot contract is nicer than that of most Middle eastern or Asian airlines. We see the extreme ones like Qatar, where I seem to recall that if there was a weight increase of 2-3kg the employee had to diet or face loosing their job. We have seen it with Air India, that under their new professional management, raised the issue of very large/heavy flying staff.

Its a tough philosophical choice that the airlines have to make. Is a flying career a lifetime commitment or is it a transitional job that you enjoy when younger and then move on.
I feel for those who get discriminated against because of age.
However, I think the Singapore approach where after 2 or 3 contracts (normally 5 years each), flying staff is domesticated and work at the airport or in office or support functions. However such expectations needs to be made clear from the start of someones career. That their profession is a transient profession, don't expect more than ten, fifteen years of flying service, after that we hope we can channel your commitment to the organisation into a ground-based position. That keeps the talent in-house but it also allows the airline to have have fresh, beautiful, energetic and fit flying staff.
In Singapore ex SQ staff is held in quite high regard and many obtain good jobs within the hotel, property or F&B sectors. A stepping stone.
No One Likes Us - We Dont Care.
 
User avatar
BawliBooch
Posts: 1348
Joined: Mon Nov 28, 2016 4:24 am

Re: Aeroflot FA's say work being reduce because they are fat

Mon May 01, 2017 4:50 am

Weight MAY affect an FA's ability to do her primary job - assist in evacuations.

So purely from that perspective, it may be in the passengers interest to have healthy crew manning the doors.
Mr.Kapoor's favorite poodle!
 
ASFlyer
Posts: 1653
Joined: Sat May 28, 2005 1:25 pm

Re: Aeroflot FA's say work being reduce because they are fat

Mon May 01, 2017 6:39 am

oh look, more men (probably overweight themselves) saying that it's okay for workers in a largely female dominated career to be discriminated against because of their weight and/or age. Go figure.
 
ASFlyer
Posts: 1653
Joined: Sat May 28, 2005 1:25 pm

Re: Aeroflot FA's say work being reduce because they are fat

Mon May 01, 2017 6:42 am

MillwallSean wrote:
diet or face loosing their job.


It's losing - with one o. As in, "you would be losing your job if spelling were a requirement".
 
b747400erf
Posts: 3135
Joined: Wed Jun 19, 2013 4:33 am

Re: Aeroflot FA's say work being reduce because they are fat

Mon May 01, 2017 6:52 am

alfa164 wrote:
For everyone who complains about US-based airlines having "aunties" for crew... perhaps it is time to book a ticket on SU:

http://www.cnn.com/videos/world/2017/04 ... ay-pkg.cnn

Why do I care? I'm not immature and I definitely do not view flying on an airline like going to a strip club. Welcome to the 21st Century where overcompensating machoism is dying.
 
b747400erf
Posts: 3135
Joined: Wed Jun 19, 2013 4:33 am

Re: Aeroflot FA's say work being reduce because they are fat

Mon May 01, 2017 6:53 am

BawliBooch wrote:
Weight MAY affect an FA's ability to do her primary job - assist in evacuations.

So purely from that perspective, it may be in the passengers interest to have healthy crew manning the doors.

An excuse that falls apart when pilots are not held to any weight standards.
 
Osiris
Posts: 97
Joined: Tue Aug 23, 2016 6:53 pm

Re: Aeroflot FA's say work being reduce because they are fat

Mon May 01, 2017 9:21 am

ASFlyer wrote:
oh look, more men (probably overweight themselves) saying that it's okay for workers in a largely female dominated career to be discriminated against because of their weight and/or age. Go figure.


Better than being forced to die for arbitrary causes purely because of your age and gender, though, right? I know which type of discrimination I'd rather face.
 
BallsUp
Posts: 13
Joined: Tue Mar 21, 2017 11:37 pm

Re: Aeroflot FA's say work being reduce because they are fat

Mon May 01, 2017 10:12 am

ASFlyer wrote:
oh look, more men (probably overweight themselves) saying that it's okay for workers in a largely female dominated career to be discriminated against because of their weight and/or age. Go figure.


Yep, this. Because being a flight attendant is 100% about decorating the cabin. Oh and because there are worse airlines to work for, this is totally okay too.

The last time I looked an aircraft door was significantly wider than a person, most of them are electronically assisted as well in the event of an emergency. In any case even the ones that aren't, are not particularly difficult to open in an emergency. I know, I did it twice a year and I'm tiny. If anyone's worried about the over wing exits, don't be. The fat guy that normally sits there (I've seen some enormous individuals squeeze themselves into a regular seatbelt) for the legroom is going to be a significantly larger barrier to your exit, than any FA regardless of size or age would ever be. Especially as he probably didn't bother listening to the briefing because he flies all the time and he has as good a chance as anyone of panicking or blanking out in an emergency situation. Then there are the passengers who will insist on retrieving an item of luggage from the overhead locker in their stupidity and clogging up the aisle.

Trust me, in an emergency situation, the last person you need to consider as being a safety risk is a geriatric FA, who has trained annually for all kinds of emergency procedures and proven her ability to perform them in real time, just in order to keep that job. The biggest concern are the hundreds of passengers between you and an exit because they are all untrained, unaware and have no protocol to follow in an emergency situation. Don't count on any of them having studied the safety card, because no-one does. Most people talk or text through the safety demo as well. Some of them will panic, some will do totally stupid things, that is why FA's exist, to get those people out so they don't stand between you and an exit. No matter how old, nor how fat, any FA is going to be ten times better at exiting an aircraft in an emergency than you or any passenger.
 
rbavfan
Posts: 3239
Joined: Fri Apr 17, 2015 5:53 am

Re: Aeroflot FA's say work being reduce because they are fat

Mon May 01, 2017 10:51 am

MillwallSean wrote:
I think its not just the US which have aunties, Europe sees a fair bit of it too. I flew Thai recently and I doubt there was a single staff member under 40.
But the US is extreme with having senior OAPs, working the flights. I know people say they are very friendly, knowledgeable and more energetic than the average flying staff member (and I have no reason to doubt it) and I am sure they are amazing people. BUT I still don't think OAPs are appropriate as flying personnel. There should be a mandatory cut off age, say 60 or 65, just as there is for pilots.

The Aeroflot contract is nicer than that of most Middle eastern or Asian airlines. We see the extreme ones like Qatar, where I seem to recall that if there was a weight increase of 2-3kg the employee had to diet or face loosing their job. We have seen it with Air India, that under their new professional management, raised the issue of very large/heavy flying staff.

Its a tough philosophical choice that the airlines have to make. Is a flying career a lifetime commitment or is it a transitional job that you enjoy when younger and then move on.
I feel for those who get discriminated against because of age.
However, I think the Singapore approach where after 2 or 3 contracts (normally 5 years each), flying staff is domesticated and work at the airport or in office or support functions. However such expectations needs to be made clear from the start of someones career. That their profession is a transient profession, don't expect more than ten, fifteen years of flying service, after that we hope we can channel your commitment to the organisation into a ground-based position. That keeps the talent in-house but it also allows the airline to have have fresh, beautiful, energetic and fit flying staff.
In Singapore ex SQ staff is held in quite high regard and many obtain good jobs within the hotel, property or F&B sectors. A stepping stone.



Please be nice enough to say what you consider OAPs to be?
 
Osiris
Posts: 97
Joined: Tue Aug 23, 2016 6:53 pm

Re: Aeroflot FA's say work being reduce because they are fat

Mon May 01, 2017 11:02 am

BallsUp wrote:
I know, I did it twice a year and I'm tiny. If anyone's worried about the over wing exits, don't be. The fat guy that normally sits there (I've seen some enormous individuals squeeze themselves into a regular seatbelt) for the legroom is going to be a significantly larger barrier to your exit, than any FA regardless of size or age would ever be.


There could be a myriad of reasons why an overweight gentleman has chosen to sit in the extra legroom seats. He doesn't need FAs attacking his physical appearance any more than old FAs need passengers attacking theirs.

What a vile comment and a complete double standard.
 
MIflyer12
Posts: 5819
Joined: Mon Feb 18, 2013 11:58 pm

Re: Aeroflot FA's say work being reduce because they are fat

Mon May 01, 2017 1:45 pm

BawliBooch wrote:
Weight MAY affect an FA's ability to do her primary job - assist in evacuations.

So purely from that perspective, it may be in the passengers interest to have healthy crew manning the doors.


FAs have regular retraining and have to demonstrate proficiency. Can you point to a study that shows thin people performing the evacuation job better?

b747400erf wrote:
BawliBooch wrote:
Weight MAY affect an FA's ability to do her primary job - assist in evacuations.

So purely from that perspective, it may be in the passengers interest to have healthy crew manning the doors.

An excuse that falls apart when pilots are not held to any weight standards.


U.S. pilots have to obtain and retain medical certifications. That's a lot more focused and more relevant than height/weight standards.

Models can be held to appearance standards in the U.S. because appearance is an essential part of their job. Try arguing that extra years and a few extra pounds impede an FA's ability to tell you to check for the exits and serve you a beverage. You're going to look pretty silly against U.S. law. That someone needs FA eye candy says a lot more about him than it does the carrier employing older/heavier FAs. It's been ~sixty years since the U.S. Supreme Court ruled that job qualifications have to be pertinent to the job to be performed.
 
edgaren
Posts: 115
Joined: Sun Feb 05, 2006 3:52 am

Re: Aeroflot FA's say work being reduce because they are fat

Mon May 01, 2017 2:58 pm

Unbelievaly in this day and age it´s still common practice to have flight attendants weighted. I had a FA who works for a major Souh American Star Alliance airline told me not long ago, that as part of their recurrent training, they were asked to step on a scale and if above the weight they had on their previous weight check, they were "suggested" lose weight "for their own health", I mean that what the anual medical should be there for !!!!!...Coincidentally Ive seen plenty of overweight pilots in that same airline.
 
Kiwirob
Posts: 12236
Joined: Mon Jun 13, 2005 2:16 pm

Re: Aeroflot FA's say work being reduce because they are fat

Mon May 01, 2017 7:00 pm

Varsity1 wrote:
I'm still amazed at how little work protections exist outside the US in 'developed' countries.


I could be said that the US has piss all work protections compared to most of Europe and especially the Scandinavian countries.
 
Flighty
Posts: 9963
Joined: Thu Apr 05, 2007 3:07 am

Re: Aeroflot FA's say work being reduce because they are fat

Mon May 01, 2017 7:45 pm

MIflyer12 wrote:
BawliBooch wrote:
Weight MAY affect an FA's ability to do her primary job - assist in evacuations.

So purely from that perspective, it may be in the passengers interest to have healthy crew manning the doors.


FAs have regular retraining and have to demonstrate proficiency. Can you point to a study that shows thin people performing the evacuation job better?

b747400erf wrote:
BawliBooch wrote:
Weight MAY affect an FA's ability to do her primary job - assist in evacuations.

So purely from that perspective, it may be in the passengers interest to have healthy crew manning the doors.

An excuse that falls apart when pilots are not held to any weight standards.


U.S. pilots have to obtain and retain medical certifications. That's a lot more focused and more relevant than height/weight standards.

Models can be held to appearance standards in the U.S. because appearance is an essential part of their job. Try arguing that extra years and a few extra pounds impede an FA's ability to tell you to check for the exits and serve you a beverage. You're going to look pretty silly against U.S. law. That someone needs FA eye candy says a lot more about him than it does the carrier employing older/heavier FAs. It's been ~sixty years since the U.S. Supreme Court ruled that job qualifications have to be pertinent to the job to be performed.


Not a lawyer here, but, plenty of jobs require a certain look. Television presenters, bartenders, hostesses AND hosts. When you apply for a job like that, you will be judged on your looks. And that's not illegal. If you are overweight, you won't get certain jobs. And, that too is not illegal. Where I work, overweight and non-beautiful people enjoy career paths. It is possible. Just to play devil's advocate, just because an employee's needs and desires change over time, does not mean the employer needs to adjust expectations. Maybe get a different job.
 
WesternA318
Posts: 4603
Joined: Sun Oct 17, 2004 11:55 am

Re: Aeroflot FA's say work being reduce because they are fat

Mon May 01, 2017 8:06 pm

b747400erf wrote:
BawliBooch wrote:
Weight MAY affect an FA's ability to do her primary job - assist in evacuations.

So purely from that perspective, it may be in the passengers interest to have healthy crew manning the doors.

An excuse that falls apart when pilots are not held to any weight standards.



Well...someone has to be the ballast with 2-ton Tina in the back...
 
IPFreely
Posts: 2418
Joined: Sun Dec 24, 2006 8:26 am

Re: Aeroflot FA's say work being reduce because they are fat

Mon May 01, 2017 8:53 pm

MIflyer12 wrote:
Try arguing that extra years and a few extra pounds impede an FA's ability to tell you to check for the exits and serve you a beverage. You're going to look pretty silly against U.S. law.


Talk about looking silly -- Try arguing about U.S. law with Aeroflot. The U.S. obsession with political correctness is not shared by all other countries.
 
User avatar
OA412
Moderator
Posts: 4678
Joined: Thu Dec 28, 2000 6:22 am

Re: Aeroflot FA's say work being reduce because they are fat

Mon May 01, 2017 9:09 pm

Varsity1 wrote:
I'm still amazed at how little work protections exist outside the US in 'developed' countries.

This is Russia. Work protections are quite stringent in the rest of the developed world and often surpass those in the US.
Hughes Airwest - Top Banana In The West
 
User avatar
Aeroflot777
Posts: 3165
Joined: Mon Mar 22, 2004 2:19 pm

Re: Aeroflot FA's say work being reduce because they are fat

Mon May 01, 2017 9:16 pm

OA412 wrote:
This is Russia. Work protections are quite stringent in the rest of the developed world and often surpass those in the US.


Another typical anti-Russian slur on A.net. One could argue there is a bit much "over-protection" in many parts of the world.
 
alfa164
Topic Author
Posts: 3020
Joined: Sat Oct 06, 2012 2:47 am

Re: Aeroflot FA's say work being reduce because they are fat

Mon May 01, 2017 11:09 pm

Flighty wrote:
MIflyer12 wrote:
BawliBooch wrote:
Weight MAY affect an FA's ability to do her primary job - assist in evacuations.
So purely from that perspective, it may be in the passengers interest to have healthy crew manning the doors.

FAs have regular retraining and have to demonstrate proficiency. Can you point to a study that shows thin people performing the evacuation job better?
b747400erf wrote:
An excuse that falls apart when pilots are not held to any weight standards.

U.S. pilots have to obtain and retain medical certifications. That's a lot more focused and more relevant than height/weight standards.
Models can be held to appearance standards in the U.S. because appearance is an essential part of their job. Try arguing that extra years and a few extra pounds impede an FA's ability to tell you to check for the exits and serve you a beverage. You're going to look pretty silly against U.S. law. That someone needs FA eye candy says a lot more about him than it does the carrier employing older/heavier FAs. It's been ~sixty years since the U.S. Supreme Court ruled that job qualifications have to be pertinent to the job to be performed.


Not a lawyer here, but, plenty of jobs require a certain look. Television presenters, bartenders, hostesses AND hosts. When you apply for a job like that, you will be judged on your looks. And that's not illegal. If you are overweight, you won't get certain jobs. And, that too is not illegal. Where I work, overweight and non-beautiful people enjoy career paths. It is possible. Just to play devil's advocate, just because an employee's needs and desires change over time, does not mean the employer needs to adjust expectations. Maybe get a different job.

Television presenters have sued - and won - over issues regarding their age and looks. As far as bartenders and hostesses and hosts are concerned, I have never seen any lack of protection for them, either.

Models, obviously, are protected. But even Hooters was sued for discrimination over the issue of a waitress reaching 132 pounds (they settled), albeit in a state that specifically barred weight discrimination. (they also settles a lawsuit over their refusal to hire male waiters... but that is another issue). Here is a good analysis:

https://www.thebalance.com/hooters-weig ... it-2892016
I'm going to have a smokin' hot body again!
I have decided to be cremated....
 
alfa164
Topic Author
Posts: 3020
Joined: Sat Oct 06, 2012 2:47 am

Re: Aeroflot FA's say work being reduce because they are fat

Mon May 01, 2017 11:14 pm

Aeroflot777 wrote:
OA412 wrote:
This is Russia. Work protections are quite stringent in the rest of the developed world and often surpass those in the US.

Another typical anti-Russian slur on A.net. One could argue there is a bit much "over-protection" in many parts of the world.

I will rephrase it for the original poster:

"This is Russia. Just because they lie about invading Crimea... sending troops into Eastern Ukraine... shooting down a civilian airliner... lie about trying to influence the US and European elections...destroy freedom of the press... violently stifle dissent... and manage to kill all critics of their regime... doesn't meant they don't have any work protections at all. But, in reality, they still don't."

Is that better? ;)
I'm going to have a smokin' hot body again!
I have decided to be cremated....
 
User avatar
Aeroflot777
Posts: 3165
Joined: Mon Mar 22, 2004 2:19 pm

Re: Aeroflot FA's say work being reduce because they are fat

Mon May 01, 2017 11:30 pm

alfa164 wrote:
Is that better? ;)


Nope ;) Same culprits and same broken record.
 
LHRXXXLHR
Posts: 34
Joined: Tue Jun 23, 2009 5:23 pm

Re: Aeroflot FA's say work being reduce because they are fat

Mon May 01, 2017 11:55 pm

BallsUp wrote:
ASFlyer wrote:
oh look, more men (probably overweight themselves) saying that it's okay for workers in a largely female dominated career to be discriminated against because of their weight and/or age. Go figure.


Yep, this. Because being a flight attendant is 100% about decorating the cabin. Oh and because there are worse airlines to work for, this is totally okay too.

The last time I looked an aircraft door was significantly wider than a person, most of them are electronically assisted as well in the event of an emergency. In any case even the ones that aren't, are not particularly difficult to open in an emergency. I know, I did it twice a year and I'm tiny. If anyone's worried about the over wing exits, don't be. The fat guy that normally sits there (I've seen some enormous individuals squeeze themselves into a regular seatbelt) for the legroom is going to be a significantly larger barrier to your exit, than any FA regardless of size or age would ever be. Especially as he probably didn't bother listening to the briefing because he flies all the time and he has as good a chance as anyone of panicking or blanking out in an emergency situation. Then there are the passengers who will insist on retrieving an item of luggage from the overhead locker in their stupidity and clogging up the aisle.

Trust me, in an emergency situation, the last person you need to consider as being a safety risk is a geriatric FA, who has trained annually for all kinds of emergency procedures and proven her ability to perform them in real time, just in order to keep that job. The biggest concern are the hundreds of passengers between you and an exit because they are all untrained, unaware and have no protocol to follow in an emergency situation. Don't count on any of them having studied the safety card, because no-one does. Most people talk or text through the safety demo as well. Some of them will panic, some will do totally stupid things, that is why FA's exist, to get those people out so they don't stand between you and an exit. No matter how old, nor how fat, any FA is going to be ten times better at exiting an aircraft in an emergency than you or any passenger.


:checkmark: :checkmark:
 
c933103
Posts: 3822
Joined: Wed May 18, 2016 7:23 pm

Re: Aeroflot FA's say work being reduced because they are fat

Tue May 02, 2017 12:29 am

I wonder if there are any airlines attempted to poses weight restriction onto their employees onboard of their planes because of economy.
When no other countries around the world is going to militarily stop China and its subordinate fom abusing its citizens within its national boundary, it is unreasonable to expect those abuse can be countered with purely peaceful means.
 
User avatar
MillwallSean
Posts: 945
Joined: Tue Apr 08, 2008 3:07 pm

Re: Aeroflot FA's say work being reduce because they are fat

Tue May 02, 2017 4:33 am

I don't think this has so much to do with the legislative context of the airlines.
Instead I think this is about perception. Many of our American posters seem to perceive the profession of cabin staff as one focusing on operational safety and as a longtime career. The middle eastern and Asian airlines seem to perceive the position as cabin staff as one that focus on service and is a profession done when young, attractive and energetic. The European airlines are sometimes in between depending on airline and their legislative environment. Aeroflot, being European, sees an environment where the local perception is that cabin attendant is more about service than safety and it is recognised in their talent management manuals and employment contracts.

And before we turn this into a "only in Russia" discussion. Having legal departments coming up with employment contracts that are within the law but still ensure that the cabin-attendant is a transient profession is not that hard if you want to. Not many 60 year olds in the cabins at Ryanair or Norwegian...

I also fail to see the link between pilot and cabin attendants. One group flies the plane and has the accountability for the organisations asset while the other is a frontline position that is customer facing?
Why should the weight and fitness of pilots be linked to the weight and fitness of cabin-staff.
Two very different positions with very different position descriptions...

Question is, should we perceive cabin attendant as a lifetime career or should it be a transient profession?
For me who strongly believe that cabin attendants main role is that of service I like the Singaporean approach where after 10 or 15 years flying service the expectation is that you progress towards a landbased position within the organisation. I think that allows the organisation to provide both young, energetic service in the air but also provide a good career for its commited employees. The added benefit of such talent transition being that the knowledge learnt from 10 or 15 years flying is kept within the airline allowing better understanding and shorter distance between flying and ground based employee groups.
But that's my personal perspective and I respect that many think differently.

I would also state that I feel that the continuing published altercations between staff and passengers that is occurring at primarily the US majors is linked to their employees perception that their number one focus is safety and not service.
I also think part of that comes from the notion that cabin attendant is a lifetime position with certain entitlements. There is a bit of "fall in line and do as your told" vocabulary, even on these forums, and that is not a sign of an organisational culture where service is the primary focus of frontline employees.

rbavfan wrote:

Please be nice enough to say what you consider OAPs to be?


Not sure what you mean here, the age of the OAP depends on the jurisdiction where they are employed ?
OAP is an abbreviation for the term "Old Age Pensioner".

That age differ between legislative environments, 60 in Malaysia, 65 in most of Europe (going up to 67 soon) etc etc, its stated in the legislation what the OAP age is and this tend to be linked to government retirement funds.
No One Likes Us - We Dont Care.
 
User avatar
mercure1
Posts: 4464
Joined: Sun Jul 13, 2008 5:13 am

Re: Aeroflot FA's say work being reduced because they are fat

Thu Sep 07, 2017 10:41 pm

Case is over. Court found Aeroflot did not discriminate, but yet said airline can't tell its crew maximum uniform size they can wear.

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-41182543
mercure f-wtcc
 
User avatar
LAXintl
Posts: 23823
Joined: Wed May 24, 2000 12:12 pm

Re: Aeroflot FA's say work being reduced because they are fat

Thu Sep 07, 2017 11:15 pm

The babushka's win..
From the desert to the sea, to all of Southern California
 
bennett123
Posts: 8944
Joined: Sun Aug 15, 2004 12:49 am

Re: Aeroflot FA's say work being reduced because they are fat

Fri Oct 20, 2017 7:23 am

Depends HOW big surely.

People who are really obese clearly move and react more slowly. You can see that in the street.

Also consider the internal dimensions of an airliner.
 
KentB27
Posts: 476
Joined: Fri Oct 02, 2015 2:20 pm

Re: Aeroflot FA's say work being reduce because they are fat

Fri Oct 20, 2017 8:42 am

b747400erf wrote:
BawliBooch wrote:
Weight MAY affect an FA's ability to do her primary job - assist in evacuations.

So purely from that perspective, it may be in the passengers interest to have healthy crew manning the doors.

An excuse that falls apart when pilots are not held to any weight standards.


They are in a roundabout way. Being overweight or obese can greatly increase a pilot's chances of failing their medical exams.
 
User avatar
XLA2008
Posts: 411
Joined: Mon May 30, 2016 8:53 pm

Re: Aeroflot FA's say work being reduced because they are fat

Fri Oct 20, 2017 9:21 am

There are actually size and weight restrictions imposed by aviation regulators... you must be slim enough to fit in a crew jump seat comfortably without adapted harnesses and be able to buckle yourself in... if you cannot do that, you cannot operate onboard an aircraft safely... do I believe in discrimination... no, but I do believe flight attendants are the faces of the airline, and sometimes the faces that represent a country, how you look has always been a major factor within the airline industry when it comes to flying... it isn’t anything new!!! I do think their should be an age limit to retire from service, as great of service an old OAP might be able to give, their ability to be able to safely evacuate, operate, and handle situations onboard are reduced with age, that’s a fact of life in any industry! When Airlines recruit new crew they discriminate ALL the time, you just don’t know they are doing it, you didn’t get the job because you weren’t qualified enough, or didn’t have a strong enough interview, when in actual fact you didn’t get it because you didn’t conform to the company image! It’s the airline industry, yes times have changed, but unfortunately being slim and pretty has always been something airlines want and will continue to want. Image is everything when it comes to being a flight attendant, why do you think they have strict uniform standards! Many airlines require you to have your uniform a specific way, you can’t be seen smoking in uniform, you can’t have visible tattoos, you can’t wear earrings over a certain size, you can’t wear rings on certain fingers, you can’t wear your hair how you like, females have a minimum amount of makeup they must wear... Every airline I’ve flown for had and does have strict guidelines on your appearance! So this is of no surprise to me!

From a health stand point, flying is unhealthy for even the most healthiest slimmest of people, it messes up your body and has a lot of bad effects on you, so I can only imagine being larger in size your health risks are increased, not only that but if you are allowing yourself to gain weight (if it isn’t due to a medical issue) then you are doing that of your own cause and desire, and choosing to be unhealthy, so don’t be suprised when people discriminate against you... onboard an aircraft I don’t want to be operating with a crew member that’s obese and in an emergency is out of breath or struggling to move quickly because of it, that situation is dangerous and can put others at risk! Though many of you may disagree or argue with me, that’s my view point and my comment is based on both a mix of facts and personal opinion!
“For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards, for there you have been and there you will long to return.“
 
tommy1808
Posts: 10865
Joined: Thu Nov 21, 2013 3:24 pm

Re: Aeroflot FA's say work being reduce because they are fat

Fri Oct 20, 2017 10:45 am

Varsity1 wrote:
I'm still amazed at how little work protections exist outside the US in 'developed' countries.


Russia isn't really a developed country and the statement is funny, in the EU we pretty much think the same about the USA. Many things workers in the US don't have, are withheld from workers in very few other places.

Best regards
Thomas
This Singature is a safe space......
 
LISCGN
Posts: 6
Joined: Sun Aug 28, 2016 9:12 am

Re: Aeroflot FA's say work being reduce because they are fat

Fri Oct 20, 2017 11:34 am

Varsity1 wrote:
I'm still amazed at how little work protections exist outside the US in 'developed' countries.


what kind of US protections are so unique in comparison to other 'developed' countries? Your 5 PTO days including sickness or the risk of being fired within a minute without explanation? My company has an office in Chicago and the pressure my counterparts work under is beyond appalling. There are quite a bunch of not so developed countries guaranteeing better work protection than the US. I am obviously not thinking of Russia.
 
User avatar
OA940
Posts: 1908
Joined: Fri May 20, 2016 6:18 am

Re: Aeroflot FA's say work being reduce because they are fat

Fri Oct 20, 2017 11:47 am

Varsity1 wrote:
I'm still amazed at how little work protections exist outside the US in 'developed' countries.


You do know that the US isn't the only country that has work protections. Europe sees a lot of it as well (idk about everywhere else but I live in Europe so I know about that). Plus FA's in the US are WAY too overpowered and abusive of their powers
A350/CSeries = bae
 
tommy1808
Posts: 10865
Joined: Thu Nov 21, 2013 3:24 pm

Re: Aeroflot FA's say work being reduce because they are fat

Fri Oct 20, 2017 1:28 pm

OA940 wrote:
(idk about everywhere else but I live in Europe so I know about that).


at least 20 days paid vacation, which is a human right btw, maternity leave, your employer having almost no say in how you life your private life (or what color of hair/haircut you can/can´t have), paid maternity leave, no hire & fire, ...... much of which is the norm in the majority of nations on this planet, for example 100 nations on this Planet have 20 or more days paid vaca (plus Holidays), while only 8 have zero.

While Russia ain´t one on the glowing beacons, they do have 20 days paid vaca and 12 paid holidays/year, maternity leave (20 weeks, full pay) and parental leave (3 years, 1.5 years at 40% pay).

Labor rights in Russia are not that bad in a whole: http://www.xperthr.co.uk/topics/international/russia/
However, is the story is true, they may lack protections against being discriminated against over weight.

best regards
Thomas
This Singature is a safe space......
 
DLPMMM
Posts: 2262
Joined: Wed Apr 20, 2005 12:34 am

Re: Aeroflot FA's say work being reduce because they are fat

Fri Oct 20, 2017 1:42 pm

MillwallSean wrote:
Not sure what you mean here, the age of the OAP depends on the jurisdiction where they are employed ?
OAP is an abbreviation for the term "Old Age Pensioner".



I was wondering what you meant by OAP .... I was thinking "Other Airline Pilot"?,..."Obese Aged Professional?..."Obnoxious Ancient Pedophile"?

This must be some unique UK acronym. It is really that widely used in the UK? I have never seen it before.

As an international site and in order to help get your point across, it might be helpful to spell out things instead of using regional or generational acronyms...that was people will focus on your point, instead of spending time trying to discern what you are talking about.
 
WIederling
Posts: 8888
Joined: Sun Sep 13, 2015 2:15 pm

Re: Aeroflot FA's say work being reduce because they are fat

Fri Oct 20, 2017 3:16 pm

tommy1808 wrote:
Labor rights in Russia are not that bad in a whole: http://www.xperthr.co.uk/topics/international/russia/
However, is the story is true, they may lack protections against being discriminated against over weight.


Are there actually places beyond the US where the employer can f*ck with your health plan and pension moneys?
Murphy is an optimist
 
User avatar
SheikhDjibouti
Posts: 1759
Joined: Sat Sep 30, 2017 4:59 pm

Re: Aeroflot FA's say work being reduce because they are fat

Fri Oct 20, 2017 3:52 pm

alfa164 wrote:
Television presenters have sued - and won - over issues regarding their age and looks.

Television presenters who are good at their job, deserve to stay in their job, just as long as the viewing public continue to tune-in to their programme.
Notice this concept applies both to attractive young presenters, and older less attractive ones.

It is a function of the viewing public, both male and female, that sometimes they will watch a program just because of an attractive presenter. When that presenter, male or female, loses their looks, and the public elect to switch channels, it is the public deciding whether that presenter will remain in employment, not the employer. Of course the TV company could continue to do what is right, supporting the aged presenter, and they can carry on right up to the moment they enter bankruptcy.

Now simply substitute "Flight Attendant" for TV Presenter.
If it can be demonstrated that passengers will not book with an airline because their FA's are "too old" or "too ugly", how should we deal with this?
A mass education programme to teach customers right from wrong? Good luck with that!

p.s. I've suffered discrimination all my life because I'm not a super-model. Life is unfair; it always has been.
Nothing to see here; move along please.
 
irelayer
Posts: 1115
Joined: Wed Jul 06, 2005 4:34 pm

Re: Aeroflot FA's say work being reduced because they are fat

Fri Oct 20, 2017 4:55 pm

I've actually gotten used to the "motherly" nature of US flight attendants. It's like my grandma is serving me dinner at home. Very warm and comforting feeling.

But seriously, who cares. That's their country. Let's not fall prey to moral relativism here. If you don't want to cater to this type of behavior, don't fly Aeroflot.

We must ask ourselves this question, do we buy that FAs are there ONLY for our safety (I don't because I've asked, and the general consensus is they are there for more than that) or do we want to admit to ourselves that FAs are there partly for aesthetics as WELL as a variety of other roles, and they should be at least in shape and appealing to the eye, even if they are older. This includes males AND females by the way.

I'm sure I'll get an answer, just not the one I was expecting...

-IR
 
continental004
Posts: 381
Joined: Sat Sep 13, 2014 11:53 pm

Re: Aeroflot FA's say work being reduced because they are fat

Fri Oct 20, 2017 7:51 pm

I’m disgusted by all the male privilege and toxic masculinity I’ve seen in some of these posts in this topic.
 
User avatar
zelalemon
Posts: 18
Joined: Sun Sep 03, 2017 5:51 pm

Re: Aeroflot FA's say work being reduce because they are fat

Fri Oct 20, 2017 10:32 pm

tommy1808 wrote:
OA940 wrote:
(idk about everywhere else but I live in Europe so I know about that).


at least 20 days paid vacation, which is a human right btw,

20 days paid vacation is not a human right. It is a civil right.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos