nitepilot79
Topic Author

Bean Queen--QR Sued By Woman Over Coffee Spill

Tue May 02, 2017 4:23 am

A woman from Virginia is suing Qatar Airways after a flight attendant allegedly spilled coffee on her lap causing her to be burned. She wants a jury trial. Jeez, no way! (sarcasm). Here's the story:

http://abcnews.go.com/International/wir ... ns-4712771

Article quote:

"A Virginia woman is suing Qatar Airways over claims a stewardess spilled hot coffee on her.
WAVY-TV reports (http://bit.ly/2pdpQ7t) that Zahra Azizkhani of Virginia Beach is seeking $850,000. She claims a flight attendant dropped 'scalding hot' coffee onto her lap, severely burning her stomach.
Azizkhani is also demanding a jury trial. The airline did not immediately respond to an email seeking comment."

"Azizkhani said she was flying from Virginia to Tehran, Iran, in January. She claims the spilled coffee caused her 'extreme pain' and that the flight attendant did not offer to help her. She also said the company offered little in terms of medical treatment beyond suggesting she not let her clothes touch her burns."

LAX772LR

Re: Bean Queen--QR Sued By Woman Over Coffee Spill

Tue May 02, 2017 5:28 am

Airlines can't seem to figure out how to stop leaving themselves open to this.....

2017 - Korean Air sued over hot coffee spill:
http://klvi.iheart.com/articles/nationa ... -15514442/

2016 - Virgin Australia sued over hot coffee spill:
https://www.theguardian.com/business/20 ... roin-burns

2013 - Delta sued over hot coffee spill:
http://airnation.net/hangar/threads/wom ... -her.5223/

2012 - Southwest sued over hot tea spill:
http://nashvillecitypaper.com/content/c ... ing-flight

2011 - Jetstar sued over hot coffee spill:
http://www.abc.net.au/news/2011-11-25/p ... ns/3693972
I myself, suspect a more prosaic motive... ~Thranduil

Varsity1

Tue May 02, 2017 6:08 am

Mcdonalds lost a multi million dollar law suit over hot coffee.

Welcome to business in the US QR. This is just the tip of the iceberg.
"PPRuNe will no longer allow discussions regarding Etihad Airlines, its employees, executives, agents, or other representatives. Such threads will be deleted." - ME3 thug airlines suing anyone who brings negative information public..

LAX772LR

Tue May 02, 2017 6:13 am

Varsity1 wrote:

As well they should've.

Spend 5 seconds reading the Liebeck case, and you'll know how INCREDIBLY negligent McD's was in the lead-up to that incident.

And before anyone starts calling her greedy, keep in mind that she only sued for her medical bills (approx $70,000) to be covered.... the jury hated McD's so badly after hearing the evidence, that they awarded her $2.8million instead.

Coal

Tue May 02, 2017 6:32 am

LAX772LR wrote:
Varsity1 wrote:

they awarded her $2.8million instead.

Had you spent 5 seconds reading it, you would've known that the judge awarded $640k and that they settled for less than that. While it does seem McDonald's was apparently negligent in terms of how hot the coffee was, the plaintiff should've known better than to put a cup of hot coffee between her legs. You can't fix stupid. Welcome to the United States of Stupidity.
Nxt Flts: KE SIN-ICN-ATL | DL ATL-FLL | AA MIA-ATL | KE ATL-ICN-SIN

BobPatterson

Tue May 02, 2017 6:37 am

LAX772LR wrote:
Varsity1 wrote:

As well they should've.

Spend 5 seconds reading the Liebeck case, and you'll know how INCREDIBLY negligent McD's was in the lead-up to that incident.

And before anyone starts calling her greedy, keep in mind that she only sued for her medical bills (approx $70,000) to be covered.... the jury hated McD's so badly after hearing the evidence, that they awarded her $2.8million instead.

I have no idea how this ultimately turned out:

http://articles.latimes.com/2014/jan/09 ... t-20140109

Judge reduced the award to $640,000.00 and was then settled out of court (sounds kind of weird).
Facts are fragile things. Treat them with care. Sources are important. Alternative facts do not exist.

LAX772LR

Tue May 02, 2017 6:48 am

Coal wrote:
LAX772LR wrote:
Varsity1 wrote:

Had you spent 5 seconds reading it, you would've known that the judge awarded $640k and that they settled for less than that.

Well aware thanks. That does not in any way contradict my statement: McD's was terribly negligent, jury was horrified, and that's why the verdict referenced in the original quote came about.

Coal wrote:
the plaintiff should've known better than to put a cup of hot coffee between her legs.

While the award was ultimately lowered in part for that reason, what she did was still considered likely use... and a big reason McD's was found negligent, is that they knew people were doing that, knew the cup tops deformed at the liquid temp they served, had two prior cases that demonstrated that effect; yet failed to 1) change or 2) warn.

Classic negligence/product liability, and McDonalds should've known wayyyy better.

rbavfan

Tue May 02, 2017 10:14 am

Coal wrote:
LAX772LR wrote:
Varsity1 wrote:

Had you spent 5 seconds reading it, you would've known that the judge awarded $640k and that they settled for less than that. While it does seem McDonald's was apparently negligent in terms of how hot the coffee was, the plaintiff should've known better than to put a cup of hot coffee between her legs. You can't fix stupid. Welcome to the United States of Stupidity.

Agree she did it to herself. Note I was in a fire as a child. Even then I knew not to put a open cup of hot coffee between my legs while driving.

afterburner

Tue May 02, 2017 10:26 am

Solution? No hot coffee onboard an aircraft.

pvjin

Tue May 02, 2017 10:49 am

Hmm, so I could get rich by becoming an US citizen, befriending an airline or an Mcdonalds employee, and then telling him/her to spill coffee on me so I can sue the employer?

Great, now I only need the green card and then I will reach the American dream.
"Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that." - Martin Luther King Jr

BobPatterson

Tue May 02, 2017 6:01 pm

pvjin wrote:
Hmm, so I could get rich by becoming an US citizen, befriending an airline or an Mcdonalds employee, and then telling him/her to spill coffee on me so I can sue the employer?

Please, we have enough nonsensical people here already.

However, my offer of a cup of coffee at BWI when you visit (short term) still stands :-)
Facts are fragile things. Treat them with care. Sources are important. Alternative facts do not exist.

ikramerica

Tue May 02, 2017 6:08 pm

BobPatterson wrote:
LAX772LR wrote:
Varsity1 wrote:

As well they should've.

I have no idea how this ultimately turned out:

http://articles.latimes.com/2014/jan/09 ... t-20140109

Judge reduced the award to $640,000.00 and was then settled out of court (sounds kind of weird).

Nope. Not weird. Common. After a judge reduction, then there are appeals. Appeals take time and money. So a settlement is usually the result, now that a "baseline" is set by the judge and jury (jury finding fault, judge finding fair compensation).

Most non-political cases that don't involve payoffs to states end this way.
Of all the things to worry about... the Wookie has no pants.

ikramerica

Tue May 02, 2017 6:09 pm

pvjin wrote:

Fraud is illegal. Don't think for a minute that the company won't spend money to investigate you and the employee before you cash out...

ikramerica

Tue May 02, 2017 6:11 pm

afterburner wrote:

Solution? Don't pour drinks over other people, overfill drinks, or serve hot drinks without a tray.

I've had plenty of FAs pour things for inside pax in front of my face, and some have spilled on me. "oh, sorry about that" when they shouldn't do that in the first place. Don't cut corners due to laziness.

LAX772LR

Tue May 02, 2017 9:42 pm

rbavfan wrote:
Agree she did it to herself. Note I was in a fire as a child. Even then I knew not to put a open cup of hot coffee between my legs while driving.

She wasn't 1) driving nor 2) even in a moving vehicle.
Facts matter, people.

ikramerica wrote:
I've had plenty of FAs pour things for inside pax in front of my face, and some have spilled on me. "oh, sorry about that" when they shouldn't do that in the first place. Don't cut corners due to laziness.

^This.

Remote pouring, not overfilling, secure lids, product tested to withstand the proper temperature+containment, and (most importantly) warning given. That would go a longgggggg way to cutting back, these such lawsuits; which its why it's stunning that institutions as liability-averse as airlines, haven't all done this yet!

amcnd

Tue May 02, 2017 9:46 pm

People are scamming airlines. Hope airline start charging a $5 legal fee to each ticket... people need to grow up. Stuff happens, sure the FA felt horrible.. but greedy money hungry people want to sue airlines at every chance...

gatechae

Tue May 02, 2017 10:09 pm

Coal wrote:
LAX772LR wrote:
Varsity1 wrote:

She had third degree burns on her inner thighs that required skin grafts,
The trial took place from August 8–17, 1994, before New Mexico District Court Judge Robert H. Scott.[16] During the case, Liebeck's attorneys discovered that McDonald's required franchisees to hold coffee at 180–190 °F (82–88 °C). At 190 °F (88 °C), the coffee would cause a third-degree burn in two to seven seconds

And you were supposed to drink that?!

pvjin

Tue May 02, 2017 10:16 pm

BobPatterson wrote:
pvjin wrote:

Please, we have enough nonsensical people here already.

However, my offer of a cup of coffee at BWI when you visit (short term) still stands :-)

Thanks, I'll keep that in mind when I'll be touring the US some time in the future.
"Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that." - Martin Luther King Jr

afterburner

Tue May 02, 2017 10:33 pm

ikramerica wrote:
afterburner wrote:

Solution? Don't pour drinks over other people, overfill drinks, or serve hot drinks without a tray.

I should show my intention that the comment is a sarcasm. I'm a coffee lover myself. :)

LAX772LR

Tue May 02, 2017 10:47 pm

gatechae wrote:

Not only did it burn her skin nearly completely off, but it melted the fat underneath her skin as well. And this is with only a few seconds of exposure.

Pic link below: ***WARNING*** very graphic, click at your own volition:
http://www.hdforums.com/forum/attachmen ... 24x373.jpg

gatechae wrote:

Not only that, but the trial uncovered evidence that McD's cups deform at temps well below that, causing the then flimsy white lids to pop off more often than not..... and (more importantly) that McDonalds KNEW that, and did nothing to change it, even after settling multiple burn cases prior. Nor did they warn about it.

SLAM DUNK negligence, which is why it's shocking that they ever let this get to trial.

KepiBlanc

Tue May 02, 2017 11:28 pm

rbavfan wrote:
Coal wrote:
LAX772LR wrote:

This is a perfect example of what we discuss in law school as a "false narrative."

The facts are

1) She wasn't driving.
2) She was a passenger in a parked car.
3) The coffee was so hot that it melted the clothes to her skin resulting in substantial third degree burns to her pelvic area.
4) She had put the coffee between her legs so that her nephew (the driver) could pass her a breakfast sandwich
5) During discovery McD's admitted that there were OVER 700 prior complaints about customers being burned by their coffee.

The jury assigned 80% fault to McD's and 20% to Stella Liebeck. The judge reduced the jury's putative damages because it exceeded New Mexico's statutorily established formula (the incident happened in Albuquerque and Liebeck sued McD's in state court) for determining punitive damages.

OA412

Wed May 03, 2017 2:29 pm

LAX772LR wrote:
As well they should've.

The McDonald's hot coffee/Liebeck case is one of my biggest pet peeves because the vast majority of people still parrot the false narrative advanced by the media and tort reform groups.
There's so much more to the case, and McDonald's was absolutely negligent with the respect to the temperature of the coffee they were serving customers.

LAX772LR wrote:
Coal wrote:
the plaintiff should've known better than to put a cup of hot coffee between her legs.

While the award was ultimately lowered in part for that reason, what she did was still considered likely use... and a big reason McD's was found negligent, is that they knew people were doing that, knew the cup tops deformed at the liquid temp they served, had two prior cases that demonstrated that effect; yet failed to 1) change or 2) warn.

Classic negligence/product liability, and McDonalds should've known wayyyy better.

Exactly. That's why comparative negligence exists, to account for a person's own negligence in causing the damage. And let's be honest, all those talking about how greedy and stupid Stella Liebeck was, would have absolutely sued McDonald's as well. NO ONE would've walked away from that situation and said "oh well."

ikramerica wrote:
Fraud is illegal. Don't think for a minute that the company won't spend money to investigate you and the employee before you cash out...

Why tell him? Let OP deal with the 3rd degree burns and skin grafts, since he thinks it's so fun to "game" the system.
Hughes Airwest - Top Banana In The West

AussieCanuck92

Wed May 03, 2017 2:43 pm

This reminds me of a case in the 90's where some clown spilled a cafe latte over himself as he was trying to sneak it into the movies. If I remember correctly, he applied some balm that a maestro gave him and was worried that the coffee company would want to see the burns (which had healed,) so he hastily accepted a settlement of free coffee at any of their locations. Maybe she could settle for unlimited free flights?
I like stuff

AirbusA343

Wed May 03, 2017 4:02 pm

There goes the flight attendant's career...
(It's only a joke... for those who don't get the reference, QR is harsh on their employees and overkill with punishments.)

ikramerica

Wed May 03, 2017 4:09 pm

AussieCanuck92 wrote:
This reminds me of a case in the 90's where some clown spilled a cafe latte over himself as he was trying to sneak it into the movies. If I remember correctly, he applied some balm that a maestro gave him and was worried that the coffee company would want to see the burns (which had healed,) so he hastily accepted a settlement of free coffee at any of their locations. Maybe she could settle for unlimited free flights?

Balm! Who told him to use a balm!

SomebodyInTLS

Thu May 04, 2017 1:42 pm

gatechae wrote:
Coal wrote:
LAX772LR wrote:

The trial took place from August 8–17, 1994, before New Mexico District Court Judge Robert H. Scott.[16] During the case, Liebeck's attorneys discovered that McDonald's required franchisees to hold coffee at 180–190 °F (82–88 °C). At 190 °F (88 °C), the coffee would cause a third-degree burn in two to seven seconds

This topic comes up very regularly. The last time I was called out for lying that my morning cup of coffee is probably as hot - so I tested it and it's actually hotter.

Beverages made with *BOILING WATER* are obviously going to be served close to 100 degrees C. Not just in restaurants but in homes and workplaces all over the world. Regardless of just exceeding their own guidelines in this case, I still find it hard to fault McDonalds that they served coffee in the way almost everyone on Earth serves coffee.

Note that this has no bearing on the rest of the case, but the unbelievably-hot-coffee aspect is way overhyped in my opinion.
"As with most things related to aircraft design, it's all about the trade-offs and much more nuanced than A.net likes to make out."

ThomasCook

Thu May 04, 2017 2:22 pm

Sorry, is this thread about McDonald's or aviation?

Spacepope

Thu May 04, 2017 2:50 pm

OA412 wrote:
LAX772LR wrote:
As well they should've.

The McDonald's hot coffee/Liebeck case is one of my biggest pet peeves because the vast majority of people still parrot the false narrative advanced by the media and tort reform groups.
There's so much more to the case, and McDonald's was absolutely negligent with the respect to the temperature of the coffee they were serving customers.

LAX772LR wrote:
Coal wrote:

Exactly. That's why comparative negligence exists, to account for a person's own negligence in causing the damage. And let's be honest, all those talking about how greedy and stupid Stella Liebeck was, would have absolutely sued McDonald's as well. NO ONE would've walked away from that situation and said "oh well."

ikramerica wrote:

Why tell him? Let OP deal with the 3rd degree burns and skin grafts, since he thinks it's so fun to "game" the system.

This is a pretty well done presentation (with citations) if the Liebeck case for people that prefer not to read.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KNWh6Kw3ejQ
The last of the famous international playboys

OA940

Thu May 04, 2017 3:43 pm

Ok Paris Hilton calm down there.
A350/CSeries = bae

txjim

Thu May 04, 2017 4:32 pm

We need a corollary to Godwins Law (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Godwin%27s_law), EVERY hot beverage burn story will ultimately descend into the McDonald's lawsuit.

edit: Ninja'd on the Adam Ruins Everything link

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos