Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

77H
Topic Author

UA61 EWR-HNL Encountering Severe Turbulence

Wed May 03, 2017 7:48 pm

Aloha Everyone. It appears that UA61 EWR-HNL has encountered some pretty severe turbulence enroute to Honolulu. The return flight, UA14 HNL-EWR is delayed by 2 hrs so that a maintenance team can perform a "severe turbulence inspection".

I'm sure turbulence inspections are not all that uncommon but I've never personally heard of a flight having to undergo inspections due to turbulence. Must be pretty rough up there. Hope all passengers and crew are okay. Lots of opportunity for injury.

77H

tp1040

Re: UA61 EWR-HNL Encountering Severe Turbulence

Wed May 03, 2017 7:56 pm

Turbulence inspections are not that uncommon. Just like hard landings etc. anything that exceeds certain criteria, requires an inspection.

AA737-823

Wed May 03, 2017 7:58 pm

It's not super common, but we do a few of them a year at my little carrier.
Depending on how bad the turbulence was, it can actually be a pretty extensive check out. Kind of a pain in the neck!

flyguy84

Wed May 03, 2017 7:58 pm

Imagine that, N666UA.
SFO

iahcsr

Wed May 03, 2017 8:11 pm

flyguy84 wrote:
Imagine that, N666UA.

:devil:
Odds are good many didn't have belts fastened
Working Hard, Flying Right Friendly....

BG777300ER

Wed May 03, 2017 8:18 pm

Its been a pretty rough week for turbulence. Had a pretty turbulent descent into EWR on Monday night, flying thru a thunderstorm. I fly a lot, and, that was pretty above average turbulence.

rnav2dlrey

Wed May 03, 2017 8:31 pm

surprised to see that they're still using the 763 on the route. i figured that the 764 downgauge would be temporary.

FlyHossD

Wed May 03, 2017 8:32 pm

BG777300ER wrote:
Its been a pretty rough week for turbulence. Had a pretty turbulent descent into EWR on Monday night, flying thru a thunderstorm. I fly a lot, and, that was pretty above average turbulence.

Why did you fly "thru a thunderstorm"?
My statements do not represent my former employer or my current employer and are my opinions only.

Seabear

Wed May 03, 2017 8:46 pm

Perhaps a "deep cleaning" as well?

BG777300ER

Wed May 03, 2017 8:53 pm

FlyHossD wrote:
BG777300ER wrote:

"I dont know". "Ask the pilot"?

But perhaps this will satisfy your disbelief:
https://flightaware.com/live/flight/UAL ... /KLAX/KEWR

77H
Topic Author

Wed May 03, 2017 9:19 pm

rnav2dlrey wrote:
surprised to see that they're still using the 763 on the route. i figured that the 764 downgauge would be temporary.

From what I've heard UA has opted to consolidate the 763s in EWR and the 764s in IAD for ease of maintenance.

77H

goboeing

Wed May 03, 2017 10:49 pm

BG777300ER wrote:
FlyHossD wrote:
BG777300ER wrote:

I didn't have any belief that you'd gone through a thunderstorm before I read your reply here but now I'm sure you didn't fly through one as there are plenty of holes in that line of weather to navigate around the nasty stuff. The delay in flightaware showing you on the ground vs. when you'd gone through the line of weather has move the storm cells into what had been your route of flight, that's all.

BG777300ER

Wed May 03, 2017 11:27 pm

Well, I find it a losing battle to argue against people on this forum. We (along with all LAX-EWR flights beginning at 9am Monday) were delayed on ground stop in LAX, and all left around 2:30PM, because of this slow moving storm. But I don't know anything, you guys were all there and know exactly how it happened. :bigthumbsup:

LAXdude1023

Thu May 04, 2017 12:19 am

BG777300ER wrote:
Well, I find it a losing battle to argue against people on this forum. We (along with all LAX-EWR flights beginning at 9am Monday) were delayed on ground stop in LAX, and all left around 2:30PM, because of this slow moving storm. But I don't know anything, you guys were all there and know exactly how it happened. :bigthumbsup:

There is a difference between flying through a cumulonimbus vs. going around it. No pilot (not one) will fly through one. Even within fronts there are holes where the planes fly through.
FOR THE LOVE OF GOD BRING BACK THE PAYWALL!!!!

treetreeseven

Thu May 04, 2017 2:34 am

LAXdude1023 wrote:
BG777300ER wrote:

There is a difference between flying through a cumulonimbus vs. going around it. No pilot (not one) will fly through one. Even within fronts there are holes where the planes fly through.

I'm gonna hazard a wild guess that by "through a thunderstorm" he did not mean "directly through the center of towering CBs."

I once flew "through a thunderstorm" on descent into MSP - broken clouds around us, visibly rotating tower of cloud a ways off, sunset lighting, lightning in and around the bulk of the cloud, mild turbulence, etc. And, the hot girl next to me wanted to hold my hand as she was scared, me being about 14 and her being about 16, there were two things to be impressed with :biggrin:

Then about an hour later I was in the terminal and some portion of the storm hit the airport and quite literally collapsed a section of the glass roof/wall/thing. Really intense wind, lightning, and hail. No idea if it was the same supercell or what.

Anyway, I'm sure you can appreciate what most non A.nutters mean by "through" a thunderstorm vs what the grizzled veterans of A.nut mean by it.

flyrocoak

Thu May 04, 2017 2:53 am

LAXdude1023 wrote:
BG777300ER wrote:

"No pilot (not one) will fly through one." I've learned in life not to make absolute statements. It's an almost certainty that there are pilots out there that have done so. Be it, intentionally or not. And no, there is not always a 'hole' present. When the window of a hole closes, you'll see jets turn around. But some still try to push through. I've seen this on radar returns.

I was on an aircraft that either 'went through it' or was at least close enough to one to cause severe turbulence. It was the same situation- at night, a line of storms that were too long to go around. The pilot gave us all a warning that the only choice was to go through it (or go back). We had near constant lightning on both sides of the aircraft that was striking very close. Pouring rain and possibly hail- (hard to tell what we were seeing and hearing). It was the most turbulent flight I have ever been on. Bins popping open, passengers being pushed against their seats and seat belts, heads bobbing, people puking, the plane was making heavy pitches up, down, left, right- almost consecutively. Fun times. I am a frequent flier for 30 years; I know the difference enough to make a reasonable estimate between light, moderate and severe turbulence.

So tell me, does it really matter whether we went through it or around it? Because, from my standpoint, either way it sucked and isn't something I would want to go through again.

Planetalk

Thu May 04, 2017 3:59 am

flyrocoak wrote:
LAXdude1023 wrote:
BG777300ER wrote:

"No pilot (not one) will fly through one." I've learned in life not to make absolute statements. It's an almost certainty that there are pilots out there that have done so. Be it, intentionally or not. And no, there is not always a 'hole' present. When the window of a hole closes, you'll see jets turn around. But some still try to push through. I've seen this on radar returns.

I was on an aircraft that either 'went through it' or was at least close enough to one to cause severe turbulence. It was the same situation- at night, a line of storms that were too long to go around. The pilot gave us all a warning that the only choice was to go through it (or go back). We had near constant lightning on both sides of the aircraft that was striking very close. Pouring rain and possibly hail- (hard to tell what we were seeing and hearing). It was the most turbulent flight I have ever been on. Bins popping open, passengers being pushed against their seats and seat belts, heads bobbing, people puking, the plane was making heavy pitches up, down, left, right- almost consecutively. Fun times. I am a frequent flier for 30 years; I know the difference enough to make a reasonable estimate between light, moderate and severe turbulence.

So tell me, does it really matter whether we went through it or around it? Because, from my standpoint, either way it sucked and isn't something I would want to go through again.

He should have gone back. No-one needs to be anywhere so much to start playing test pilot and risking injuries and worse. There is no need to put your passengers through that when you can turn round. Unfortunately there are many pilots out there who will try their luck. And that's how accidents happen.

oldannyboy

Thu May 04, 2017 10:03 am

BG777300ER wrote:

Agree with you man. You can never win on A.net. Never. There will always be someone who's an inch ahead of you and knows more. :banghead: :wink2:

BG777300ER

Thu May 04, 2017 1:49 pm

oldannyboy wrote:
BG777300ER wrote:

Agree with you man. You can never win on A.net. Never. There will always be someone who's an inch ahead of you and knows more. :banghead: :wink2:

Haha yup, although the past few posts have been very respectful and useful. There are good a.neters and annoying a.neters.

I don't know if we flew threw it, near it, over it, under it, or became one with it. It was the only way to descend into Newark, I saw flashes of lightning outside, it sucked, never wanna go thru that again haha...but, flying over 100K miles a year, I know I will. That's life.

FlyHossD

Thu May 04, 2017 2:36 pm

BG777300ER wrote:
FlyHossD wrote:
BG777300ER wrote:

It was a simple question, please don't read more into it than was stated.

It's one thing to fly through bumpy cumulus clouds or rain showers and something quite different to fly through a thunderstorm (cumulo-nimbus) as you stated your flight had done. In over 30 years of professional flying, we never flew through a thunderstorm and I don't know anyone who did.
My statements do not represent my former employer or my current employer and are my opinions only.

FlyHossD

Thu May 04, 2017 5:05 pm

BG777300ER wrote:
...I don't know if we flew threw it, near it, over it, under it, or became one with it. It was the only way to descend into Newark, I saw flashes of lightning outside, it sucked, never wanna go thru that again haha...but, flying over 100K miles a year, I know I will. That's life.

One more point - you've made an unfortunately common error in (mis)interpreting a weather radar return. Weather radar detects water and that is not necessarily proof of a thunderstorm. For example, many years ago, I flew in a tropical depression and the entire radar was red with solid to heavy rain, but there were no thunderstorms, just a lot of water and there was no chop of turbulence. That is, it was a completely smooth ride.

Lightning is another story. So if you saw some lightning flashes, there were some thunderstorms in the area. Considering how fast the speed of light is, though, they may have been quite some distance away.

Fitlikemin

Thu May 04, 2017 5:17 pm

LAXdude1023 wrote:

Hmm.... perhaps not willingly, but it has happened and does happen. Where you thought there was that hole before.............

usxguy

Thu May 04, 2017 6:21 pm

living in Florida, we get tossed around, A LOT.

I remember landing in FLL one time on USAirways (737-400) on approach into FLL and we had to go around and circle for an hour.. we ended up diverting to PBI and we had ONE HECK of an approach; I don't think I've been tossed around so much before in my life. People were crying, bins open, and some O2 masks popped out. Felt like a hollywood movie, to be honest.

Upon landing, smoothest landing btw, in PBI, we actually stopped on the taxiway coming in to the B concourse. We sat there for about 5 minutes, yet our gate was open, and other AOA traffic was going on. Pilots came on the PA, you could tell they were rattled, and stated that due to what just happened, they are going to cancel the flight to FLL and terminate in PBI. A couple of passengers immediately started whining, and thankfully other passengers told them to be glad they are alive and on the ground.

During deplaning, both pilots were in the galley area, people were shaking their hands. I asked one of them "So, was that red or yellow that we flew thru" and the FO laughed, CA looked at me and said "that was green.." and was surprised. They said this was one of the worst storms they've flown thru.

While on Tri Rail down to Ft. Lauderdale, I was reading the paper and apparently there were tornadoes and water spouts all over the place from this system.
xx

xxcr

Thu May 04, 2017 7:51 pm

Flights in the south pacific near hawaii are super rough today. I just flew back from SYD-SFO and turbulence was terrible.

FBWFTW

Mon May 29, 2017 4:53 am

More importantly on the Uber avgeek-ian front... Does anyone know when/why UA changed the EWR-HNL flight number from UA15 to UA61 (while leaving the return as UA14 for the time being) Also, how dare they! It's been flight 15 since the DC-10's flew it (maybe even -8's from waaaay back)
Noticed the # change right around the time N666UA flew it when I was searching for UA15 on FR24-dunno if it was the same day tho.
Avgeek & Airbus fan
Flown-712 722 732/5/8/9 741 752 762/3ER, L10, DC8/9/10 MD88 E75/90 A320/21 A332/3
Fav Plane(s) A330-243/L10
Fav Airlines-B6/HA
Favorite engine-RR/PW
Favorite Route-BOS-HNL
https://my.flightradar24.com/FBWFTW#

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos