Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

N353SK

Re: Delta employees threaten and harass family; kicked off flight for overbooking

Thu May 04, 2017 10:08 pm

jakubz wrote:
N353SK wrote:
Passedv1 wrote:
There is no requiremnet that passengers be in their assigned seats as far as the FAA is concerned.

Many airlines compute weight and balance info based on seat assignments, so yes, I can guarantee the FAA would like you to sit in your assigned seat.

If that is the case, how does Southwest do W&B? Don't they have open seating (i.e., if there is an open seat, you can sit there?)?

(Serious question, no attitude intended)

I'm sure southwest just counts, but I believe at most of the legacies the weight and balance is done by a load planner remotely and then sent to the aircraft over ACARs.

manny

Re: Delta employees threaten and harass family; kicked off flight for overbooking

Thu May 04, 2017 10:34 pm

The FA is so wrong here on so many levels. I have seen kids in car seats on airplanes before. Either there is a FAA law or there is not. Otherwise this is a just harassment of the paying customers. To make matters worse the FA is threatening this man with it being Federal offense and jail time and that his kids will be sent to foster care. Why is that not criminally punishable. Why should an airline employee be allowed to threaten passengers like that.

That is why we need consumer protection laws.

Tugger

Thu May 04, 2017 10:50 pm

BravoOne wrote:
from Delta,
Delta issued the following statement today regarding Flight 2222 on April 23, 2017:

"We are sorry for the unfortunate experience our customers had with Delta, and we've reached out to them to refund their travel and provide additional compensation. Delta's goal is to always work with customers in an attempt to find solutions to their travel issues. That did not happen in this case and we apologize."

Moral of the story go ahead and create a scene and Delta (any name) will pick up your tab.

That is not true and you know, you are creating your own version of "fake news". The simple truth is the GA mishandled it and Delta is now cleaning the issue up. Sure it would not have gotten "noticed" and very likely nothing would have been done if the video had not surfaced but that is honestly beside the point. The truth is that a little customer service, addressing the situation, getting the customer to understand the issue and then allow the family to continue onward would have solved the entire thing. And if that had been done there would be no viral video (proof the video isn't "the cause") and the airline would not have had to spend one extra penny.

grbauc wrote:
what if I told you 100% I knew the customer and he knows that tickets cant be transferred. And That this is just a case of poor GA public relashions issue. Would you guys still be up in arms.

Would you guys all be up in arms if the united incident hadn't happened?

I really wonder why all the out rage all the sudden.

The "outrage" has been there for years, it has just been allowed to coalesce via online media/communities. And it really is just the public finally able to push back as a group whereas it was always "you're on your own" against the corporation. Now it is a more balance field with the corporation up against a community (some would say mob but as others have noted the vast majority of flights go off without a hitch, there's no one burning anything down etc.).

Tugg

anonms

Thu May 04, 2017 10:50 pm

jakubz wrote:
N353SK wrote:
Passedv1 wrote:
There is no requiremnet that passengers be in their assigned seats as far as the FAA is concerned.

Many airlines compute weight and balance info based on seat assignments, so yes, I can guarantee the FAA would like you to sit in your assigned seat.

If that is the case, how does Southwest do W&B? Don't they have open seating (i.e., if there is an open seat, you can sit there?)?

I remember once being on a flight where the FAs asked people to move around to other seats on a low-load flight so that they could balance the plane, but it's also entirely plausible that I'm making this up since it's been a while since I've flown on Southwest, let alone an emptier flight with them.

BravoOne

Thu May 04, 2017 10:58 pm

As for W&B issue the current crop of airliners have a very wide envelope with significant flexibility. A full airplane is just that ....full. When you have light loads you can get into areas that might require some pax relocation. Delta's W&B is probably done via a computer located in ATL.

AEROFAN

Thu May 04, 2017 10:58 pm

klm617 wrote:
JohnsonRod wrote:
Look, at the end of the day, it is getting ridiculous how the video vigilanti mob is out to get airlines and other businesses. I'm the last to defend DL because of their lunatic fanboys on here, but it's getting out of control. People are constantly trying to break the rules, and then taking to social media when they don't get their way. Or have people video only part of the story so the angry Twitter, spoiled millennial types can whine and cry. Facts and truth have gone out the window these days in favor of sensationalism and bleeding hearts.

Aren't airlines always breaking the rules when it works in their favor. You have been indoctrinated well that the customer doesn't matter if it's good for business
:checkmark: :checkmark:

TerminalD

Thu May 04, 2017 10:59 pm

DLFREEBIRD wrote:
i'm not following your logic, if the child was delayed for 9 hours. of course the voucher would be in their name. It's like a company paying for your ticket and you were delayed 9 hours. you would get the voucher not the company who paid for your ticket.

I paid for ticket. I'm the parent of the child. Giving the child a voucher that can only be used for the child to buy a ticket for themselves is ridiculous. I was told the voucher had to be used for only that person to travel, which by the way I don't think is the law...and it was a mechanical delay obviously.

AEROFAN

Thu May 04, 2017 11:00 pm

Tugger wrote:
BravoOne wrote:
from Delta,
Delta issued the following statement today regarding Flight 2222 on April 23, 2017:

"We are sorry for the unfortunate experience our customers had with Delta, and we've reached out to them to refund their travel and provide additional compensation. Delta's goal is to always work with customers in an attempt to find solutions to their travel issues. That did not happen in this case and we apologize."

Moral of the story go ahead and create a scene and Delta (any name) will pick up your tab.

That is not true and you know, you are creating your own version of "fake news". The simple truth is the GA mishandled it and Delta is now cleaning the issue up. Sure it would not have gotten "noticed" and very likely nothing would have been done if the video had not surfaced but that is honestly beside the point. The truth is that a little customer service, addressing the situation, getting the customer to understand the issue and then allow the family to continue onward would have solved the entire thing. And if that had been done there would be no viral video (proof the video isn't "the cause") and the airline would not have had to spend one extra penny.

grbauc wrote:
what if I told you 100% I knew the customer and he knows that tickets cant be transferred. And That this is just a case of poor GA public relashions issue. Would you guys still be up in arms.

Would you guys all be up in arms if the united incident hadn't happened?

I really wonder why all the out rage all the sudden.

The "outrage" has been there for years, it has just been allowed to coalesce via online media/communities. And it really is just the public finally able to push back as a group whereas it was always "you're on your own" against the corporation. Now it is a more balance field with the corporation up against a community (some would say mob but as others have noted the vast majority of flights go off without a hitch, there's no one burning anything down etc.).

Tugg
:checkmark: :checkmark: :checkmark:

TerminalD

Thu May 04, 2017 11:05 pm

PlanesNTrains wrote:

TerminalD wrote:
THE REAL QUESTION is whether the public views the airline policy as reasonable and I think in the eyes of many they will not view this as reasonable.

While I understand your sentiment, the reality is that when you combine people making their own judgment calls based on what THEY think is reasonable (even when they were not even there) combined with the use of cellphone video being instantly shared worldwide without a clear understanding of the all the facts, you have now opened the door imho to even more of these situations. Instead of people taking accountability, it becomes a social media trial.

Two things are going to happen. One is that in many cases the rules are going to change to reflect this new reality. The second is that this approach to justice is going to come back to haunt a lot of people when it goes to the extreme. Imagine having someone back into you in a parking lot, you get out of your car and three people from their car are videoing you. Perhaps they even were taunting you, but of course that'll be edited out. Good luck with that.

When Google Glass or an offshoot finally gets going EVERYTHING will be on video. A trip to Youtube will show that Russia is already like this for anything involving a car. It's part of the adjustment in society to everything being recorded. Before getting pulled off an airplane with your kid was a story you told at the bar and now its a viral sensation. A lot of things are going to change because of this evolution. Some may be for the worse, but this is just the beginning, not the end. The airline have handed over more and more of the agent's job to a computer program that decides who gets on, who gets upgraded, who should pay more, etc. Now customers are using the same technology to expose "injustices" of these policies. It's a logical evolution and it's going to get "worse", not better.

N353SK

Thu May 04, 2017 11:06 pm

anonms wrote:
jakubz wrote:
N353SK wrote:

I remember once being on a flight where the FAs asked people to move around to other seats on a low-load flight so that they could balance the plane, but it's also entirely plausible that I'm making this up since it's been a while since I've flown on Southwest, let alone an emptier flight with them.

Moving passengers for W&B happens occasionally on 737/A320 sized aircraft and quite frequently on RJs, so rest assured that you remember correctly!

IPFreely

Thu May 04, 2017 11:19 pm

TheFlyingDisk wrote:
Nope. The family had clearly breached the contract of carriage & thus have no rights to the seats whatsoever.

How did they breach it?
1) Delta clearly states that the ticket is NON-TRANSFERABLE. Since they intended to use it for another person, Delta has the right to deny the seat to the passenger.
2) The ticketed passenger did not check-in/no-show. Delta has the right to release that seat to a standby passenger.

You can't rant to kingdom come for all I care - the customer in this case is WRONG. Any attempt to defend the indefensible is futile and I do hope that Delta be more strict in this case & not kowtow to public pressure.

The customer bought three tickets, not one. One of the ticketed passengers did not show. So that ticket can be forfeited based on the fine print on the ticket which nobody reads. Was Delta right to smack the customer with fine print and say ha ha your ticket is no good? Legally, yes. they can sell the seat again and make double money on it. That's good for the quarter's profits; whether it's a good way to create repeat customers is another debate.

The real problem for Delta is the other two tickets. When the passengers were willing to hold their infant -- legally -- how was Delta RIGHT to remove them from the plane after they bought tickets, checked in on time, and boarded? There is no defense for the Delta employee threatening them with jail, threatening foster care for their child, or removing them from the plane.

IPFreely

Thu May 04, 2017 11:24 pm

N353SK wrote:
Moving passengers for W&B happens occasionally on 737/A320 sized aircraft and quite frequently on RJs, so rest assured that you remember correctly!

I've never seen this on 737/A320 although I have moved or seen people moved for weight and balance on RJ's.

I don't know what Southwest does without assigned seats. I would guess they use their knowledge of passenger behaviour. Knowing that most passengers prefer to be as close to the front as possible and that most passengers prefer windows or aisles, if they have 20 empty seats they could probably assume that the middle seats in the last 10 rows are not filled? It would be interesting to know if this is what they do or if they have another method.

N353SK

Thu May 04, 2017 11:28 pm

IPFreely wrote:
N353SK wrote:

I've never seen this on 737/A320 although I have moved or seen people moved for weight and balance on RJ's.

I don't know what Southwest does without assigned seats. I would guess they use their knowledge of passenger behaviour. Knowing that most passengers prefer to be as close to the front as possible and that most passengers prefer windows or aisles, if they have 20 empty seats they could probably assume that the middle seats in the last 10 rows are not filled? It would be interesting to know if this is what they do or if they have another method.

Moving pax on mainline sized aircraft is rare, but it happens. I haven't ridden on SWA lately, but if you watch closely I'd bet the FAs count pax prior to door close. Most aircraft are broken into 2-4 passenger "zones" for weight and balance purposes.

KFLLCFII

Thu May 04, 2017 11:34 pm

If they never checked in the ticket for the 18 year old, and therefore never received a boarding pass for that ticket, then how was the infant able to pass through the TSA checkpoint if it didn't have a boarding pass?

Mir

Thu May 04, 2017 11:35 pm

Tugger wrote:
Mir wrote:
If I were the gate agent, I would have simply asked for the boarding pass for that seat. If he can't produce it, he has no right to the seat.

The interesting thing is, what would have been the thing you would recommend the customer do: A.) pull the ticket he had for his (other) son out and hand it to the GA and proceed from there. Or B.) tell the agent the truth about what had happened and present the other ticket.

Which would you advise? And is the airline harmed (directly) with the situation?

Tugg

I wouldn't accept A. I'd want to know why his other child isn't there and why they didn't check-in for that seat. If he went with B, I'd be more understanding, but the fact remains that the time to sort all this stuff out is before getting on the plane, and now he's infringing on another customer's space. If he offered to hold the lap child early on, I might have accepted. But the longer he argued, the more I would worry about putting another passenger next to the family for a long flight, and removing them would look better and better.

Is the airline harmed? The other passenger certainly is by not getting the seat they should have gotten, and to the extent that the airline is responsible for them, they're harmed as well.

EA CO AS

Thu May 04, 2017 11:39 pm

wn676 wrote:
alfa164 wrote:
EA CO AS wrote:
Not so. Checking in is one act, but the agent would then need to "on" the customer, showing them onboard by scanning or pulling a valid boarding pass for that customer. When that didn't happen, they'd be a no-show, even if they'd checked in.

Well... yes, so. The passenger carrying a youngster hands the gate agent the two boarding passes... one adult, one child boards the aircraft. Parents with kids do this on probably every flight I have ever flown.

What he's saying is, they could have checked in but not scanned the boarding pass at the gate. Those are two separate things. Pax are shown as "checked in" and "seated" based on this. If they checked in but did not scan at the gate, the passenger would show as unseated, or basically, a no-show.

In all honesty, were I in their situation, I would have checked in and scanned the boarding pass to pass it off as the 2-year old. Sure that might not be technically kosher given the name on the ticket, but I doubt anyone would have even noticed the difference since the 18-year old was presumably on a different ticket and different flight entirely.

And I get what others are saying - check in the 18 year old, use the 18 year old's boarding pass for the lap infant, and all is well.

But that 18 year old already flew home on a different flight; didn't they use that ticket already when he was changed to a different flight, or did they purchase a wholly-new ticket for him entirely?

Also, is the child in the car seat under age 2, or are they not? I've heard conflicting reports, and of course, once the child hits age 2, they're no longer able to be a lap child under federal law and would HAVE to occupy a purchased seat.

Tugger

Thu May 04, 2017 11:52 pm

BravoOne wrote:
As for W&B issue the current crop of airliners have a very wide envelope with significant flexibility. A full airplane is just that ....full. When you have light loads you can get into areas that might require some pax relocation. Delta's W&B is probably done via a computer located in ATL.

I dunno, the -800's and -900's.... didn't you see when an A.netter improperly moved seats to the back because "he loved to hear the engine noise":
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JLWxD0gY__A
:bouncy:

(Wait.... it's MD-80's that A.nutters want sit in the back of to enjoy engine noise.... :spin: )

Tugg

Keith2004

Fri May 05, 2017 12:56 am

In this case aside from the harsh words from the flight attendant, I think delta was clearly in the right....

Despite this Delta Apologized, refunded and provided additional compensation...smart PR move I supose,

Pressing the fact that family was against policy would do them no favors, I suppose in the post Dao world such ideas are only for airline and frequent flyer blogs

http://mobile.reuters.com/article/idUSKBN1802SP

"Delta Air Lines Inc (DAL.N) apologized on Thursday to customers, who were forced off its flight last month, and said it would refund them and provide additional compensation"

DIRECTFLT

Fri May 05, 2017 1:16 am

anonms wrote:
jakubz wrote:
N353SK wrote:

I know on a 6 seater (?) flying intro Puerto Rico, I was assigned a seat, but once on board, the pilot asked me to move to another seat for wight balance. I complied.

77H

Fri May 05, 2017 1:17 am

Scorpio wrote:
ua900 wrote:
They were given the option to stay but chose not to..

No they weren't. They were kicked off, and that's a big mistake by DL.

Yes they were. Please watch the video again. The DL agent gives the father to option to hand hold the baby. He continuously exclaims that the seat next to his wife is his seat. He even went as far as to say "you'll have to remove me from the airplane". One could take that as a threat as those words make it sound like the father is staying on the plane until removed by force. After a certain amount of back and forth the airline has to make a decision. It cannot continue to hold up 170+ passengers indefinitely.

Additionally, the father was becoming increasingly agitated and that flight was about to take off and fly for 4.5 hrs over open ocean with no suitable diversion points should things escalate again once airborne. The airline has no way of knowing if the father wouldn't have caused trouble with the passenger who ultimately took the seat the infant was in. I've heard several stories about how other passengers treated the 4 staff members on UA3411 after the Dr. Dao incident. The airline took a better safe than sorry stance which was a good call considering the over ocean nature of the flight.

As for the gate agents for telling the passengers that they would be arrested on federal charges and their children taken away, I agree that it was a little inflammatory and inappropriate but it sounds like the agent was using it as a mere scare tactic hoping that the family would see that this was headed towards a zero win situation for them. Its not unlike a teacher telling a student that they would call their parents if an unwanted behavior continued. In my house growing up, a call from the teacher to my parents meant a hand firmly and swiftly planted on my posterior and a grounding to boot. The scare tactic worked as intended. It seemed to me that the father, who was so wrapped up in thinking he was right, forgot that fact that he had people (infants) in his care that could be negatively impacted by his choices. Should the agent have said it exactly how she did? No. Did the father need a reminder to truly think about the position he was putting his family in? Yes.

77H

777Mech

Fri May 05, 2017 1:21 am

Mods; I'd suggest changing the thread title, as it wasn't due to overbooking, but passenger ignorance.

TheFlyingDisk

Fri May 05, 2017 1:29 am

IPFreely wrote:
The customer bought three tickets, not one. One of the ticketed passengers did not show. So that ticket can be forfeited based on the fine print on the ticket which nobody reads. Was Delta right to smack the customer with fine print and say ha ha your ticket is no good? Legally, yes. they can sell the seat again and make double money on it. That's good for the quarter's profits; whether it's a good way to create repeat customers is another debate.

The customer is at fault & have nobody but himself to blame. If that customer chose not to do business with the airline again, then I doubt the loss is that much, given that another customer who had benefited from the policy would might as well fly with Delta again.

IPFreely wrote:
The real problem for Delta is the other two tickets. When the passengers were willing to hold their infant -- legally -- how was Delta RIGHT to remove them from the plane after they bought tickets, checked in on time, and boarded? There is no defense for the Delta employee threatening them with jail, threatening foster care for their child, or removing them from the plane.

We only saw a part of the story - the video started when LEOs and the ground staff are already at the scene trying to get him to vacate the seat. We don't know how did he act before the video was rolling. He could have been stubbornly clinging to the notion that that seat was his & it's his right to occupy it. Even the start of the video showed that he was still arguing that the seat was his. Just because he didn't raise his voice doesn't mean his conduct wasn't disorderly. If he had agreed to move from the occupied seat as soon as he was asked this wouldn't have happened. Instead, because of his disorderly conduct Delta has a right to eject him & his travel party as outlined by the Contract of Carriage.

The customer is clearly in the wrong, so let's not play the humanity card. That's how you get overentitled whiners who think they can do no wrong.

Keith2004 wrote:
In this case aside from the harsh words from the flight attendant, I think delta was clearly in the right....

Despite this Delta Apologized, refunded and provided additional compensation...smart PR move I supose,

Pressing the fact that family was against policy would do them no favors, I suppose in the post Dao world such ideas are only for airline and frequent flyer blogs

http://mobile.reuters.com/article/idUSKBN1802SP

"Delta Air Lines Inc (DAL.N) apologized on Thursday to customers, who were forced off its flight last month, and said it would refund them and provide additional compensation"

This action only will encourage further bad behaviour from passengers. When will this stop?

Delta corporate has belittled their own staff's decision making as all they did was follow the rules. Instead the rule breaker gets rewarded & the staff gets shamed.

BN747

Fri May 05, 2017 2:07 am

Mir wrote:
BN747 wrote:
Dad paid for that seat! It's his, even if he put his pooch in it!
Nowhere is it stated that DL refunded him for the seat or stated the change caused a forfeiture of funds paid.

It's appalling all the mindless comments from knuckleheads lashing out at this family!

After paying for the seat, he then no-showed..

Nope...not what happened.

On ABC News Tonite -
He checked in for the flight

Explained his son had taken an earlier flight..could he use his son's seat for the baby.

Check-in Agent said yes and issued them boarding passes and boarded them. - Done deal at that point.

Delta has now refunded them and is currently negotiating a settlement for the inconvenience.

Another Bonehead move by the ground crew...

Counter peeps have got to be on the same page - start to finish - or the opportunity for unnecessary payouts increase!

BN747

downdata

Fri May 05, 2017 2:32 am

BN747 wrote:
Mir wrote:
BN747 wrote:
Nowhere is it stated that DL refunded him for the seat or stated the change caused a forfeiture of funds paid.

It's appalling all the mindless comments from knuckleheads lashing out at this family!

On ABC News Tonite -

Explained his son had taken an earlier flight..could he use his son's seat for the baby.

Check-in Agent said yes and issued them boarding passes and boarded them. - Done deal at that point.

Delta has now refunded them and is currently negotiating a settlement for the inconvenience.

Counter peeps have got to be on the same page - start to finish - or the opportunity for unnecessary payouts increase!

BN747

Hmmmm im not sure the agent had the authority to issue a boarding pass for a person who is clearly not boarding the plane unless he actually made changes in the system which he clearly did not.

PEK777

Fri May 05, 2017 2:55 am

Let me put it out there. Overselling has been a thing for a little my time. Back around 96 or so in an oversell our family was separated on an flight from Las or phx to Mke . It was unfortunate, but everyone survived. I have gone on to be one of the world's most accomplished architects of our time. We wrote a letter to complain, and they acknowledged their mistake. That was it. Everyone arrived safely and on time. These days the snowflakes would sue if they had a window seat

reltney

Fri May 05, 2017 2:59 am

Delta not at fault........ Nuff said. End of story.

Next idiotic poor passenger "not my fault because I'm stupid" story. Getting old. Yawn..

GE90man

Fri May 05, 2017 3:07 am

while I can't comment on who was right and who was wrong, I will say that the dad handled the situation extremely calmly

EA CO AS

Fri May 05, 2017 3:07 am

TheFlyingDisk wrote:
Delta corporate has belittled their own staff's decision making as all they did was follow the rules. Instead the rule breaker gets rewarded & the staff gets shamed.

I don't know that I agree; given the current climate, DL was faced with a no-win situation; they chose the option that gave them the least amount of "lose" as possible here. Part of the problem was with their agent mis-quoting federal regulations for lap children, and that confused things further.

It's hard to see where the customer was rewarded; being removed from a redeye flight with a tired, cranky toddler, with no other options available is hardly a reward, and it's not like they were given Dr. Dao money (which I think is what he was angling for, frankly).

mcdu

Fri May 05, 2017 3:09 am

reltney wrote:
Delta not at fault........ Nuff said. End of story.

Next idiotic poor passenger "not my fault because I'm stupid" story. Getting old. Yawn..

Not according the ABC news story. Appears DL agents are clearly at fault and the BS spewed about the the child and the seat are ludicrous.

TheFlyingDisk

Fri May 05, 2017 3:10 am

BN747 wrote:
Mir wrote:
BN747 wrote:

On ABC News Tonite -

BN747

That's what he said. There's no way the seats will be released if they had actually checked in & gotten the boarding pass. In any case, the ticket is non-transferable & since the original passenger is not the one using it, Delta's contract of carriage does state that

The purchaser of a Delta ticket and the passenger intending to use such ticket are responsible for ensuring that the ticket accurately states the passenger's name. Presentation of a ticket for transportation on Delta by someone other than the passenger named thereon renders the ticket void. Such ticket will be subject to confiscation and will be ineligible for any refund.

The only reason they're compensating the passenger is only for the PR angle, nothing more.

Carfield

Fri May 05, 2017 3:15 am

As aviation geeks and frequent fliers, we forget that some of these airline rules are a bit non-sensical to the traveling publics. They are complex and I can sympathize with the father in this case. He bought his teenage son another ticket to travel the day before so he could just use his son's seat. If you don't have that aviation knowledge, you would have thought that it was okay. Of course we knew that name change was a big deal. However after knowing that the check-in agent gave it a "go," it changed the narrative of the story. Now the check-in agent has misled the passengers so Delta is FULLY at fault. No wonder Delta took an apologetic tone.

About the F/A's behavior, it is never okay to go on the power trip. They can't put anyone in jail. You can call police or security, but in this case, I doubt the parents will be put in jail. The gate agent and/or F/A should be suspended immediately and got some new training before working again.

Unfortunately, we will never get to the bottom of this story because Delta is definitely not going to release a report. There are enough bad news about the airlines. All three major airlines have some negative headlines (UA obviously Dr. Dao and the dead rabbit; AA - super cram 737 MAX; and I can't believe Delta now). Delta did the right thing and hopefully this news will be forgotten tomorrow.

Carfield
Last edited by Carfield on Fri May 05, 2017 3:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

BN747

Fri May 05, 2017 3:19 am

TheFlyingDisk wrote:
BN747 wrote:
Mir wrote:

On ABC News Tonite -

BN747

That's what he said. There's no way the seats will be released if they had actually checked in & gotten the boarding pass. In any case, the ticket is non-transferable & since the original passenger is not the one using it, Delta's contract of carriage does state that

I'll take ABC News' word over yours...they said the counter agents authorized the older child swap for the infant and then turned and
issued them boarding passes. If that report is true - they are squarely in the right, even if the DL agent violated policy.
The agents actions are now incumbent upon Delta.

SkyVoice

Fri May 05, 2017 3:20 am

Former Delta Connection (Comair @ CVG) Customer Service Agent (ticketing & gate) here. My wife & I had seen a couple of TV news reports about this incident, then we heard a report about it during a newscast on the big flamethrower AM radio station in Cincinnati while in our car. She says, "I can't understand what happened there, or why." I replied, "I know. The way this story is being reported, it has too many holes in it. But, TV & radio newscasts don't take the time to give you all of the details, and the TV stations don't care about that because they have a hot story here, it's May & they are only interested in ratings now that May sweeps are here!"

LawAndOrder

Fri May 05, 2017 3:43 am

Sightseer wrote:
oldannyboy wrote:
Who said the ticket wasn't transferable ? This is about basic customer service which has gone out the window and I don't understand why people applaud this kind of behavior towards people by corporations.

:checkmark:

You are totally right, so right. But hey, this is Corporational, Institutional, punishing America at its best. Threateningly powerful... "...you and your wife can be arrested and you might have your kids taken away from you".... The single human being must bend backwards and jump through impossible loops to accommodate the greedy needs of large corporations, yet the individual must learn to keep quiet and blindly obey orders, lest he gets arrested for some security breach or federal offence...

There is no evidence the family even tried to change the name on the ticket. They just assumed the seat was still theirs, even though they didn't check in with that ticket, then tried to argue their case when they were told (correctly) that it wasn't.[/quote]

Majority of passengers know the rules of travel. If they weren't trying to beat the system why didn't they buy another ticket on the same flight as the rest of the family in the babies name? I bought a seat for my nephew before he turned 2. We didn't have an issue because we paid for the seat! It just doesn't make common sense. Since the ticket was never checked in or shown onboard whose to say the family couldn't have gotten to their destination and attempt to use the credit for another ticket as it would show unused. This happens all the time but most peoplw comply. But your right I would have just sent the other passenger down with the seat assignment of the seat that was not checked in. Then it would have been a whole different scene with the other PAID stand by passenger there. The flight was not oversold and the son did not leave on the same airline. He flew out earlier on a different airline.

LawAndOrder

Fri May 05, 2017 3:47 am

downdata wrote:
BN747 wrote:
Mir wrote:

On ABC News Tonite -

BN747

Hmmmm im not sure the agent had the authority to issue a boarding pass for a person who is clearly not boarding the plane unless he actually made changes in the system which he clearly did not.

First Check in agent did not board the aircraft so let's start there. Second if he was boarded and a done deal tell me what caused the problem? At this point we don't know what the conversation was had at check in. I'm pretty sure they custome rnever told the counter person of his intent. That's like saying I plan on committing fraud and the agent says sure let me help you.

LawAndOrder

Fri May 05, 2017 3:49 am

SkyVoice wrote:
Former Delta Connection (Comair @ CVG) Customer Service Agent (ticketing & gate) here. My wife & I had seen a couple of TV news reports about this incident, then we heard a report about it during a newscast on the big flamethrower AM radio station in Cincinnati while in our car. She says, "I can't understand what happened there, or why." I replied, "I know. The way this story is being reported, it has too many holes in it. But, TV & radio newscasts don't take the time to give you all of the details, and the TV stations don't care about that because they have a hot story here, it's May & they are only interested in ratings now that May sweeps are here!"

Only problem is they received their boarding passes at the kiosks........so next theory

LawAndOrder

Fri May 05, 2017 3:59 am

The real issue here is that the airlines are being over scrutinized and they are scared to get even a blemish on their name (especially delta and it's intended path to customer service champions). I wish I coulda arrange two things for delta a really good PR team and real good lawyers....

1) PR team: this had to be written up in a incident report it occurred on April 23rd, in Olivia pope fashion it should have been killed way before it got out with the help of a lawyer

2) quickly establish that the parent went against the ticketing contract but offer him $$$ and gag order (confidentiality agreement)......

3) if it did get out, have media talking heads on staff to talk about long established rules. Even explain weight and balance and security issues tied with having the right people checked in and accounted for on board. (Apologize for the employees conduct but not about the rules as they were followed correctly)

Read NUTS: Southwest Airlines crazy recipe for business and personal success "customers are NOT always right"

77H

Fri May 05, 2017 4:32 am

BN747 wrote:
Mir wrote:
BN747 wrote:

On ABC News Tonite -

BN747

Because the news always has the full story on all things aviation.... The news is taking his side of events and running with it because post UA3411 the story that's selling is the big bad airlines versus poor, innocent gen pop.

The news article I read stated DL2222 was overbooked. The flight was not overbooked. There is a shockingly big difference between overbooked and booked full. However, booked full doesn't illicit the same emotions as booked full because overbooked implies the airline was greedy. Popular to contrary belief the UA3411 flight wasn't over sold either. It was booked full at the time the 4 must-rides arrived at the gate.

As others said, the legal owner of the ticket was not present during boarding and the ticket attached to that seat, or any other seat was voided. That seat was then given to another customer. This father took a rather large gamble and lost, and rather than own up, he rather throw a temper tantrum. For all the customer apologists out there put yourselves in the shoes of the person who's seat the infant was occupying. Would you have been peeved or would have forgone a seat on the last flight of night knowing you have no place to return to? Also, the OGG terminal closes so sleeping airside is not an option. It's pony up for a hotel room or sleep under the stars.

77H

Beardown91737

Fri May 05, 2017 4:45 am

I thought I would see a saner discussion on this site than the Trial By Social Media going on in the non-aviation world, but even here there is a lack of familiarity with well known things, like people being required to travel on their own ticket, and how discounted tickets have big restrictions on them. The idea that tickets can be transferred could lead to a day when buying airline tickets on routes with high load factors will mean you have to buy your tickets from a resale site like Stub Hub and the prices will be just as inflated as they are for sports and performances, just because someone had the time and money to buy out tickets with the express intent of flipping them.

IPFreely wrote:
N353SK wrote:

That is a pretty accurate description of how WN flights fill up, with the exception of some front middle seats going empty if the window and aisle are both occupied by XL size people.

mark787

Fri May 05, 2017 5:57 am

I honestly wouldn't believe squat from ABC news or any other news outlet these days. If nobody has picked up on the pattern, something outrageous occurs that stirs the public opinion, then suddenly, that same theme becomes an epidemic. We started with United Airlines vs Dr Dao, and now we have weekly, (almost bi-weekly) events all involving airlines, gate agents or flight attendants, and passengers. Stories are always either exaggerated or told with some information "conveniently" left out. After all is said and done with, we hear multiple versions of the stories, but never a correction from the media that gave you incorrect information. And, while we are in the process of telling a story, we must identify the "villain", the "victim", and we must include video surveillance which consequently never shows the entire event, but only bits and pieces, and serves as absolute proof of what occurred.

That being said, the flight attendant was in the wrong for saying what she said to the father, so here lies Delta's PR mess. Everything aside, the father was in the wrong on this. If there are standbys for this flight, and there are no shows for the flight, those seats will be occupied by the folks standing by. That's how it works for most airlines. When I have flown with my two kids when they were under two, they were on my lap. I went on those flights knowing that my child would be on me or my wife. Even if the seat next to me would miraculously be empty for this flight, I would have not placed my child in that seat most likely for safety purposes as a normal seat belt on any passenger jet does not secure small children in a manner that I feel to be adequate during severe turbulence. And I say this having flown a few months ago with my 4 year old and 3 year old kids occupying seats that we paid for them. So this is not this outrageous story that the media is portraying as the big bad airline vs and innocent family. I agree that if he agreed to hold the child in his hands after the confrontation occurred, then he should have been able to stay on, but again, depended on how confrontational he became before the video started rolling. For the airline, this has some repercussions. By admitting wrong doing, and not specifically mentioning the actions of the flight attendant, we open a can of worms where many "innocent" passengers will learn from this event and apply the same routine on another flight, because lots of Americans are not opportunistic, and won't try to take advantage of something. Some say that social media is the greatest invention to our society, that it is "our" weapon to use against greedy corporations. I see it as the complete opposite. Next week there will be another incident on an airline, (because we haven't got to B6, WN, etc... YET!!), and it will continue until we get bored and move onto the next big story that comes along.

BN747

Fri May 05, 2017 6:04 am

77H wrote:
BN747 wrote:
Mir wrote:

On ABC News Tonite -

BN747

Because the news always has the full story on all things aviation....
The news article I read

77H

Well well look at look at you...trashing the 'news' and then gleefully flying off at the mouth about some other another 'news' source...

Sorry, but your podium is about to crumble from termite infestation...

Kiwirob

Fri May 05, 2017 6:10 am

DLFREEBIRD wrote:

also it turns out that one of the so called lap children had their second birthday, so they couldn't sit on a adult lap anyway. they were scamming the system and got caught. cry me a river.

Try booking a ticket for a child who is an infant when you leave but a child on the return flight. We did this with my daughter 4 years ago, it couldn't be done on line, LH's booking agent was unable to process the ticket when I spoke to them over the phone, it took three days to resolve the problem.

JoeCanuck

Fri May 05, 2017 6:22 am

Sure...the family didn't transfer the ticket to the child. Their bad. On the other hand, somebody let them get on the aircraft with a couple of child's seats, nobody at checkin specifically asked the age of the child in question, counted 4 people and 3 boarding passes, (and again, 2 child seats).

Service is a lot more than following complex rules to the letter. Service is getting difficult stuff done with the least fuss and as quickly and smoothly as possible. It's also being preemptive and asking the right questions at the right time...like counting heads before boarding. ...and having the people attempting to kick seated passengers off of the plane, if the seat they claim is for their baby, is in the baby's name.

This happened partly because Delta people didn't have proper knowledge or control of the situation from the gate. Delta staff SHOULD know their own contract of carriage...but what we heard from the supervisor was a bunch of 'I don't knows'...which didn't help the situation at all. Repeating, "I'm just trying to help", while doing absolutely nothing to help, makes matters worse.

The guy kept on saying that, 'I bought the ticket'. It would have been easy enough to check the name of the child in question with the name on the ticket. That, among other things, may have helped calm the situation and made the guy realize that he screwed up, though that should have been sorted at the gate...not on the plane.

Still, things were fairly calm when the guy finally said that he would hold the child, but Delta got all gestapo, threatening to have people arrested and such...just stupid, stupid PR. Somebody should tell all people who deal with the public that cameras are everywhere. Just being right, isn't always enough.

Example: you are approaching an intersection in your car. You have a green light. You notice that there is a semi truck speeding along from your right, and seems to be going too fast to stop in time, at his obvious red light. Technically, you have right of way.

Would you rather be right, or alive? That's extreme but it goes to show that being right isn't always in your best interest.

By the way, who here has memorized anybody's contract of carriage?

In their defense, kudos to Delta for shutting this down as quickly as possible. They were savvy enough to get as ahead of this as possible in this sound bite world we live in, and hopefully they use this as a lesson of how NOT to deal with customers.

USAirALB

Fri May 05, 2017 6:59 am

The family is in the wrong, but at no point was the FA in the right for making the statements she had said, and IMHO, she needs to be given a corrective action.

That said, it kind of irks my nerve when she said that "at this point this is a federal offense". How is this a federal offense? IIRC, current FAR require passenger compliance to the flight crew with regards to safety onboard. This isn't a safety issue. It may have been in violation of the airline's contract of carriage, but not federal law.

SurlyBonds

Fri May 05, 2017 7:02 am

I've heard several stories about how other passengers treated the 4 staff members on UA3411 after the Dr. Dao incident.

The four staff members deserve every bit of opprobium they got.

As for the gate agents for telling the passengers that they would be arrested on federal charges and their children taken away, I agree that it was a little inflammatory

A little inflammatory? Ya think?

In my house growing up, a call from the teacher to my parents meant a hand firmly and swiftly planted on my posterior

...which explains a thing or two about your world view.

PlanesNTrains

Fri May 05, 2017 7:15 am

IPFreely wrote:
The real problem for Delta is the other two tickets. When the passengers were willing to hold their infant -- legally -- how was Delta RIGHT to remove them from the plane after they bought tickets, checked in on time, and boarded? .

I think once the dad basically challenged them to remove him from the plane rather than give up the seat, it became too late to say "I'll just hold the baby".

KFLLCFII wrote:
If they never checked in the ticket for the 18 year old, and therefore never received a boarding pass for that ticket, then how was the infant able to pass through the TSA checkpoint if it didn't have a boarding pass?

Do infants get boarding passes if they're on a lap? I don't honestly know.

mark787

Fri May 05, 2017 7:27 am

when we flew on Southwest from ISP to FLL in 2014, my son who was a year old was given a boarding pass that has his name on it, and with (I think) Lap child or lap something. I don't know if all airlines do it, or maybe they put it on the boarding pass of one of the parents.

Mir

Fri May 05, 2017 8:32 am

BN747 wrote:

On ABC News Tonite -

It seems strange that's what happened, but if that is the case (and we know how the media can be), then yes Delta is completely in the wrong.

surlybonds wrote:
The four staff members deserve every bit of opprobium they got.

Absolutely not. They didn't ask to be put in that situation. Any attempt to make their life difficult should not be tolerated.

77H

Fri May 05, 2017 9:47 am

BN747 wrote:
77H wrote:
BN747 wrote:

On ABC News Tonite -

BN747

Because the news always has the full story on all things aviation....
The news article I read

77H

Well well look at look at you...trashing the 'news' and then gleefully flying off at the mouth about some other another 'news' source...

Sorry, but your podium is about to crumble from termite infestation...

Sorry to cut short your attempt to insult me. If you took the time to read my post you would have caught that I was giving an example of how the news got it wrong. When I said "the article I read" I was affirming my point that the news wasnt accurate. Nice try though. No termites here...

77H

Adipocere

Re: Delta employees threaten and harass family; kicked off flight

Fri May 05, 2017 1:33 pm

Right or wrong - I am glad that the airlines are being raked over coals in the court of public opinion. I guess this is a taste of their own "calculated misery" medicine. May the airline owners and its employees suffer more...