Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

IPFreely
Topic Author

Family of 12 year old sues Delta

Thu May 04, 2017 5:56 pm

Asking for "unspecified damages". Can probably be settled pretty cheaply.

http://www.foxnews.com/travel/2017/05/0 ... -hand.html

https://www.google.com/amp/www.dailymai ... -hand.html

SonomaFlyer

Re: Family of 12 year old sues Delta

Thu May 04, 2017 6:08 pm

I think we all need to get comfortable with the fact everyone in the U.S. has a video camera. It's just reality. State laws do vary but I doubt it's illegal to record someone making a public announcement in a public airport to board a common carrier.

Be nice to know a bit more about whether the 12 year old (I have one of those at home lol) was silently filming or making a show and being obnoxious. It doesn't necessarily excuse the behavior of the gate agent but could explain things a bit.

727LOVER

Thu May 04, 2017 6:14 pm

What exactly were the damages....to the party?
Child abuse?????? Was there an arrest?
"We must accept finite disappointment, but never lose infinite hope." - Martin Luther King, Jr.

PlanesNTrains

Thu May 04, 2017 6:22 pm

What is wrong with people? Get your friggin' phone out of other people's faces. The fact that we have cameras in our cell phones doesn't make it proper to get up close to people and film their every word. It might be legal but it's just rude.

I won't defend the lady hitting the camera.
-Dave

MAX’d out on MAX threads. If you are starting a thread, and it’s about the MAX - stop. There’s already a thread that covers it.

PlanesNTrains

Thu May 04, 2017 6:23 pm

SonomaFlyer wrote:
I think we all need to get comfortable with the fact everyone in the U.S. has a video camera. It's just reality.

Haha - true. My kids know - if dad gets even a hint of a camera filming him, he snaps awkward photos of them that will instantly be shared on their Facebook and Instagram pages. Amazing how turning the tables on them stops them in their tracks - and they're adults. lol
-Dave

MAX’d out on MAX threads. If you are starting a thread, and it’s about the MAX - stop. There’s already a thread that covers it.

burnsie28

Thu May 04, 2017 6:40 pm

Couldn't someone filming a video of people's faces be in trouble if they did not get said person's permission? Part of the reason why things like google have to blur out peoples faces on maps etc? Though I feel like a lot of that is gray area.

Thu May 04, 2017 6:41 pm

Seems to be a pattern here, was this even a DL flight or DL express?

IPFreely
Topic Author

Thu May 04, 2017 6:53 pm

SonomaFlyer wrote:
Be nice to know a bit more about whether the 12 year old (I have one of those at home lol) was silently filming or making a show and being obnoxious.

I don't know of many 12 year old boys who aren't obnoxious and giving one an iPhone usually doesn't help the situation. But as much as we might like to bash them with a stick and lock them up for a year or ten, adults need to be adult and not lower themselves to the same level as a 12 year old.

BobPatterson

Thu May 04, 2017 7:04 pm

727200 wrote:

Does it matter? In either case, DL is in control of policies and responsible for actions. Using a "subcontractor" is not an escape hatch.
Facts are fragile things. Treat them with care. Sources are important. Alternative facts do not exist.

Sancho99504

Thu May 04, 2017 7:05 pm

It's amazing that behavior that used to get a kid a talking to is now accepted as "kids just being kids". It is never acceptable to get up in someone's personal space and shove a phone/camera in another's face. The parents of this child should have stepped in and told their child why this isn't okay and why it isn't. Unfortunately, it ended this way. I don't condone the actions of the agent, but at the same time, I don't blame them.
kill 'em all and let God sort 'em out-USMC

IPFreely
Topic Author

Thu May 04, 2017 7:08 pm

727200 wrote:

The article says Delta 2370 which is mainline (MD90) from LGA to PBI.

Polot

Thu May 04, 2017 7:18 pm

Sancho99504 wrote:
It's amazing that behavior that used to get a kid a talking to is now accepted as "kids just being kids". It is never acceptable to get up in someone's personal space and shove a phone/camera in another's face. The parents of this child should have stepped in and told their child why this isn't okay and why it isn't. Unfortunately, it ended this way. I don't condone the actions of the agent, but at the same time, I don't blame them.

It is not entirely clear from the video and narrative about the events that the kid was actually in the agent's personal space with the phone/camera in her face versus the agent approaching the kid after noticing she was being filmed.

twincessna340a

Thu May 04, 2017 7:24 pm

"The Boggans filed their suit last year but Matthew said the recent incident when a Kentucky doctor was bloodied while being dragged off an over-booked United flight in Chicago to make room for airline employees brought back terrible memories."

Yeah, memories on missing out on a payday multiplier without publicity....

Tugger

Thu May 04, 2017 7:27 pm

twincessna340a wrote:
"The Boggans filed their suit last year but Matthew said the recent incident when a Kentucky doctor was bloodied while being dragged off an over-booked United flight in Chicago to make room for airline employees brought back terrible memories."

Yeah, memories on missing out on a payday multiplier without publicity....

Winner!

They are just trying to breath life into a dead lawsuit.

Tugg
I don’t know that I am unafraid to be myself, but it is hard to be somebody else. - W. Shatner
There are many kinds of sentences that we think state facts about the world but that are really just expressions of our attitudes. - F. Ramsey

Sancho99504

Thu May 04, 2017 7:51 pm

Polot wrote:
Sancho99504 wrote:

It is not entirely clear from the video and narrative about the events that the kid was actually in the agent's personal space with the phone/camera in her face versus the agent approaching the kid after noticing she was being filmed.

Sadly, in 99% of these caught on video cases, you only ever get one of side of it. We've seen Delta step up when they've clearly been wrong and we've seen them hold their ground when they're right in a lot of situations. It's more telling that this lawsuit is over a year old and hasn't been settled or been to litigation. Even with the AA stroller situation, we only saw the aftermath.....I'm around people enough to see the sad reality of what people are becoming and sadly, it's getting worse. Hell, I watched a guy last night in SEA open a secure door trying to board a flight to YEG that he clearly missed because he was stuck in traffic, the flight boards showed the wrong gate, there was a huge line at security, and he even tried to tell the Red Coat that his connecting flight arrived late before he opened the door and tried to head down the jet bridge. Loud and obnoxious.
kill 'em all and let God sort 'em out-USMC

diverdave

Thu May 04, 2017 8:40 pm

Tugger wrote:
Winner!

They are just trying to breath life into a dead lawsuit.

Tugg

I love the part about how the family was forced to sleep on the floor. Too bad the kid didn't get footage of Delta's goons forcing passengers to sleep on the floor at gunpoint. :hissyfit:

747d10

Thu May 04, 2017 9:00 pm

I like the caption on the Fox News picture of the Delta planes stating that a flight attendant knocked the phone out of the kid's hand. I'm surprised that the picture is of currently flown aircraft. I would have expected to see a 727 or an L1011. :D
E145 E190 F100 L10/15 DC8 D8S D10 M11 D91/S/5 M80 M90 717 727/S 732/3/4/5/G/8/9 741/42/43/44 752 762/3/4 77E/L 788 A300 310 319 320 321 333 Concorde
AA AC AF AL AQ AS BN CI CO CX DL EA FL HA HU HY KL MC MU MX NA NC NW OZ PA PI QH RC SQ TI TW UA US WA 9K

N415XJ

Thu May 04, 2017 9:08 pm

burnsie28 wrote:
Couldn't someone filming a video of people's faces be in trouble if they did not get said person's permission? Part of the reason why things like google have to blur out peoples faces on maps etc? Though I feel like a lot of that is gray area.

It's absolutely, 100% legal to film someone in a public place where they have no expectation of privacy anywhere in the US whether they give you permission or not. This includes airports, even if these airports are private property, unless the airport's owner (not an airport employee) asks someone to stop filming (see "The Photographer's Right" by Burt Krages) It might not be "respectful" or "polite", but being disrespectful and rude is a right protected in the US. Making money off the footage is a different matter, and is a legal gray area depending on how the footage is used and what jurisdictions are involved AFAIK. So, instead of dealing with an avalanche of lawsuits they might not win, TV shows and online map providers like Google decide to blur people's faces if they don't give explicit permission to be on camera.

727LOVER

Fri May 05, 2017 4:44 am

747d10 wrote:
I like the caption on the Fox News picture of the Delta planes stating that a flight attendant knocked the phone out of the kid's hand. I'm surprised that the picture is of currently flown aircraft. I would have expected to see a 727 or an L1011. :D

I was wondering what airport that was.
"We must accept finite disappointment, but never lose infinite hope." - Martin Luther King, Jr.

lijnden

Fri May 05, 2017 11:51 am

The next no-no items in aircraft are all electronics and cell phones... that way there will not be any evidence on how the airlines 'handle' things.
Be kind to animals! Next trip: ORF-ATL-HND-ATL-ORF

Calder

Fri May 05, 2017 1:18 pm

Ridiculous.

I hope they get out lawyer-ed by Delta
C. T.

FSDan

Fri May 05, 2017 1:39 pm

747d10 wrote:

Actually, the aircraft in the background is a DC-9, which DL has not flown for years.
This is my signature until I think of a better one.

lightsaber

Fri May 05, 2017 2:08 pm

There is much, too much, missing from this story. A phone was knocked out of a hand? OK. Not good, but 'just as started recording?' Please have the family submit the prior movies.

As to sleeping on the floor and stuff, that sounds contrived. Great public service? No. A lawsuit? No.

Lightsaber
4 months without TV. The best decision of my life.

JohnsonRod

Fri May 05, 2017 2:17 pm

I've said many times (usually in previous accounts since I've been banned about 5 times) that we are reaching a slippery slope in society now that everyone has a video camera on their phone. The initial part of the incident never gets captured. Usually where the so-called "victim" has made an arse of themself. You only see the aftermath where they are being responded to for their previous behavior. And it all gets put up on social media for everyone to see the reactions to moronic behavior by airline employees. And of course the millennial type mob jumps on it and takes to Twitter to react without facts. Be careful folks. This could happen to you. It is happening a lot in America. You can jump onboard the mob now. But you may be part of the feast someday.

747d10

Fri May 05, 2017 2:39 pm

FSDan wrote:
747d10 wrote:

Actually, the aircraft in the background is a DC-9, which DL has not flown for years.

<gasp!> You're right! I just looked at the current livery and didn't pay attention to the plane. Go Fox! And New York Post as well!
E145 E190 F100 L10/15 DC8 D8S D10 M11 D91/S/5 M80 M90 717 727/S 732/3/4/5/G/8/9 741/42/43/44 752 762/3/4 77E/L 788 A300 310 319 320 321 333 Concorde
AA AC AF AL AQ AS BN CI CO CX DL EA FL HA HU HY KL MC MU MX NA NC NW OZ PA PI QH RC SQ TI TW UA US WA 9K

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos