AMERICAN757
Topic Author
Posts: 484
Joined: Sat Mar 24, 2001 12:31 pm

Whats next at IAH?

Fri May 05, 2017 3:09 am

Now that the new C North has been opened fully what is next at IAH? Has United vacated old C North? With all the money being invested in IAH I am curious to see how it could grow in the future. As my home airport for the past 3 years now I hope to see it continue to thrive and eventually grow again.
 
User avatar
iahcsr
Posts: 4631
Joined: Fri Jun 04, 1999 2:59 pm

Re: Whats next at IAH?

Fri May 05, 2017 3:17 am

AMERICAN757 wrote:
Now that the new C North has been opened fully what is next at IAH? Has United vacated old C North? With all the money being invested in IAH I am curious to see how it could grow in the future. As my home airport for the past 3 years now I hope to see it continue to thrive and eventually grow again.

Old C North will make way for an expanded D Terminal.... Whenever the HAS sorts out what to do. There was a plan in place until the new mayor decided he didn't like it. Last I know the project is in the rebidding process ATM.
UA still has control of old north for now. But don't have need or the staffing for both old and new unless bad weather forces the need for extra gate space.
Working Hard, Flying Right Friendly....
 
GamingPolaris
Posts: 100
Joined: Mon Aug 01, 2016 12:20 am

Re: Whats next at IAH?

Fri May 05, 2017 3:35 am

At the moment, the MLIT is still postponed at the moment. Still waiting on the new bidding to commence and later for construction to start.
 
jetero
Posts: 4168
Joined: Sat Oct 11, 2014 3:45 am

Re: Whats next at IAH?

Fri May 05, 2017 3:52 am

Design contract was issued in December.
 
User avatar
AVENSAB727
Posts: 1305
Joined: Sun Jul 01, 2012 4:02 am

Re: Whats next at IAH?

Fri May 05, 2017 4:29 am

According to their 1st quarter 17 earnings conference call, United plans to re-bank IAH by the end of this year, in order to give them the platform to grow IAH further. Regarding the rumor about China Eastern starting IAH-PVG in June or July this summer seems to be nothing more than hot air, since there has been no DOT application nor any announcement from HAS, which is a bummer because it would be cool to add another foreign flag to IAH's already impressive lineup.
Always look on the bright side of Life!
 
GamingPolaris
Posts: 100
Joined: Mon Aug 01, 2016 12:20 am

Re: Whats next at IAH?

Fri May 05, 2017 4:39 am

AVENSAB727 wrote:
According to their 1st quarter 17 earnings conference call, United plans to re-bank IAH by the end of this year, in order to give them the platform to grow IAH further. Regarding the rumor about China Eastern starting IAH-PVG in June or July this summer seems to be nothing more than hot air, since there has been no DOT application nor any announcement from HAS, which is a bummer because it would be cool to add another foreign flag to IAH's already impressive lineup.


MLIT construction is supposed to start during Fall/Winter 2017. Fingers crossed that construction will start in order to get a massive facility that significantly improves the first impression that IAH needs to further attract airlines.

With the old Terminal C North now empty, some Terminal D flights can now shift to the abandoned terminal, meaning more aircraft can arrive at the same time. With this in mind, there's a bigger possibility of China Eastern launching IAH-PVG, but only time will tell.

Would love to see CX launch IAH-HKG with Airbus A350 equipment though.
 
GamingPolaris
Posts: 100
Joined: Mon Aug 01, 2016 12:20 am

Re: Whats next at IAH?

Fri May 05, 2017 4:42 am

jetero wrote:
Design contract was issued in December.


Some contracts have yet to be released for bidding, which further delays the project.
 
jetero
Posts: 4168
Joined: Sat Oct 11, 2014 3:45 am

Re: Whats next at IAH?

Fri May 05, 2017 5:01 am

GamingPolaris wrote:
jetero wrote:
Design contract was issued in December.


Some contracts have yet to be released for bidding, which further delays the project.


Actually, it doesn't have to--pretty typical to issue the design contract before the construction contract. Certainly not according to plan, but if United wants it, it will be built. if it doesn't, well, Terminal D will just be fine. It's about 10, if not 15, years away from being an LAX disaster. Not quite sure I understand why people perceive Terminal D to be so bad. Not nice by any stretch of the imagination, but I've seen way, way worse.
 
FlyingSicilian
Posts: 1570
Joined: Mon Mar 02, 2009 7:53 pm

Re: Whats next at IAH?

Fri May 05, 2017 5:50 am

Yeah, terminal D is a bit bland, as it was cut down a bit during design and during construction due to the oil bust, but it is usable. I do find it a bit annoying when they board two large aircraft flights departing within ten minutes of each other right at D4 and 5 as it gets crowded, but the terminal "works".

American Airlines should be reopening its lounge soon in terminal A, and United should be starting the Polaris lounge at the top in E also.

Would be nice to see a few small domestic city flights return eventually, but I am not holding my breath. I know a large number of pilots at UA who are reserve pilots in the AF down at Laughlin and they really miss the Del Rio flight from IAH.
“Without seeing Sicily it is impossible to understand Italy.Sicily is the key of everything.”-Goethe "Journey to Italy"
 
thomasphoto60
Posts: 3881
Joined: Thu Jan 27, 2000 1:04 pm

Re: Whats next at IAH?

Fri May 05, 2017 7:42 am

AVENSAB727 wrote:
Regarding the rumor about China Eastern starting IAH-PVG in June or July this summer seems to be nothing more than hot air, since there has been no DOT application nor any announcement from HAS, which is a bummer because it would be cool to add another foreign flag to IAH's already impressive lineup.


Yeah, I suspected as much. Given the time that the rumors broke to the start up date (no actual date) seemed a little short, never mind the silence from MU and HAS and no DOT filings as mentioned above, huge red flags, then again, how knows?
"Show me the Braniffs"
 
jplatts
Posts: 1848
Joined: Sat Mar 18, 2017 6:42 pm

Re: Whats next at IAH?

Fri May 05, 2017 1:10 pm

Southwest Airlines actually has room to expand domestically at Houston Hobby, including opportunities to add new nonstop service to domestic destinations that are not currently served nonstop from Houston Hobby. If Southwest adds nonstops to additional destinations out of HOU, would some of the demand for Houston air travel shift to HOU, or will there be a significant increase in demand for air travel out of both IAH and HOU?
 
User avatar
TWA772LR
Posts: 6088
Joined: Thu Nov 17, 2011 6:12 am

Re: Whats next at IAH?

Fri May 05, 2017 2:56 pm

jplatts wrote:
Southwest Airlines actually has room to expand domestically at Houston Hobby, including opportunities to add new nonstop service to domestic destinations that are not currently served nonstop from Houston Hobby. If Southwest adds nonstops to additional destinations out of HOU, would some of the demand for Houston air travel shift to HOU, or will there be a significant increase in demand for air travel out of both IAH and HOU?

HOU and IAH will continue to coexist just fine. Any increase in demand for Houston will effect both airports, but the question is what area of Houston will have the bigger draw.

Terminal D is the next big project at IAH. I'd love to know what happened to the B North renovation plans as well as the B FIS. Slow down in travel or not, another FIS is needed at IAH. Although most of the congestion in the current one is due to CBP staffing (80 positions and only ~15 are filled on a good day in immigration), but the big nightmare is international baggage claim and customs. It is a very unpleasant experience and that whole floor needs to be revamped with more lighting or a whole reconfiguration of the area, or a new FIS ;)

The master plan calls for an eventual 8C/26C and 27L/9R, with the 8/26 to be built first. The MP also includes landside retail areas (not in the terminal), improved water drainage, a perimeter taxiway, and other things like a whole new giant terminal F over where the United 787 hangar is, but who knows if that will happen, IAH is underutilized as it is. Let's hope the rebanking makes room for more flying.

Terminal A is getting crowded however. With UAs gate squatting and Spirit growing like wildfire, the MP calls for a connection between the north and south concourses of A that will allow about (rough guestimate) 7-8 more gates. It would be cool if they incorporate the old control tower with that link as some kind of observation deck.
You know all is right is the world when the only thing people worry about is if the president had sex with a pornstar.


The thoughts and opinions shared under this username are mine and are not influenced by my employer.
 
Rdh3e
Posts: 3362
Joined: Wed Mar 30, 2011 2:09 pm

Re: Whats next at IAH?

Fri May 05, 2017 3:12 pm

GamingPolaris wrote:
AVENSAB727 wrote:
Fingers crossed that construction will start in order to get a massive facility that significantly improves the first impression that IAH needs to further attract airlines.

Airlines don't care that much about facilities at a spoke airport. It's certainly not going to impact the business case unless the facility is total garbage and unsafe which is not the case at IAH. It's also not airlines first impression, the first impression is usually the data on passenger demand, not some facility concern.
 
LAXdude1023
Posts: 5374
Joined: Thu Sep 07, 2006 3:16 pm

Re: Whats next at IAH?

Fri May 05, 2017 3:30 pm

thomasphoto60 wrote:
AVENSAB727 wrote:
Regarding the rumor about China Eastern starting IAH-PVG in June or July this summer seems to be nothing more than hot air, since there has been no DOT application nor any announcement from HAS, which is a bummer because it would be cool to add another foreign flag to IAH's already impressive lineup.


Yeah, I suspected as much. Given the time that the rumors broke to the start up date (no actual date) seemed a little short, never mind the silence from MU and HAS and no DOT filings as mentioned above, huge red flags, then again, how knows?


Being realistic is important on a.net since threads like these tend to get carried away and before the end of it were talking about how South African and Qantas will be serving IAH before too long.

Since MU has stated it is interested in Houston, I would imagine we will see them at some point here. I dont know when.

CX is a non-starter. UA on IAH-China is a nonstarter.
Next flight: IAH-UIO-IAH on UA in Y
 
AMERICAN757
Topic Author
Posts: 484
Joined: Sat Mar 24, 2001 12:31 pm

Re: Whats next at IAH?

Sat May 27, 2017 1:32 pm

Flying through IAH this morning and I am sitting in the newly renovated United Club at C north and I am surprised to see the OLD C North has some planes parked at the gates. Is this concourse still used as needed? This place is packed today.

What do we think Scott Kirby's plans for IAH are going to be?
 
jetero
Posts: 4168
Joined: Sat Oct 11, 2014 3:45 am

Re: Whats next at IAH?

Sat May 27, 2017 4:45 pm

AMERICAN757 wrote:
Flying through IAH this morning and I am sitting in the newly renovated United Club at C north and I am surprised to see the OLD C North has some planes parked at the gates. Is this concourse still used as needed? This place is packed today.

What do we think Scott Kirby's plans for IAH are going to be?


Why tear it down before the expanded Terminal D has even been designed?
 
AMERICAN757
Topic Author
Posts: 484
Joined: Sat Mar 24, 2001 12:31 pm

Re: Whats next at IAH?

Sat May 27, 2017 5:14 pm

Well I didn't say anything about tearing it down..but I was surprised to see a terminal full of planes but when I left to head to the gate I noticed a blue curtain blocking it off. It's not like United needs all that space at present.
 
jetero
Posts: 4168
Joined: Sat Oct 11, 2014 3:45 am

Re: Whats next at IAH?

Sat May 27, 2017 5:32 pm

AMERICAN757 wrote:
Well I didn't say anything about tearing it down..but I was surprised to see a terminal full of planes but when I left to head to the gate I noticed a blue curtain blocking it off. It's not like United needs all that space at present.


The corridor leading to the original C-North gates was blocked by a curtain?
 
AMERICAN757
Topic Author
Posts: 484
Joined: Sat Mar 24, 2001 12:31 pm

Re: Whats next at IAH?

Sun May 28, 2017 1:49 am

jetero wrote:
AMERICAN757 wrote:
Well I didn't say anything about tearing it down..but I was surprised to see a terminal full of planes but when I left to head to the gate I noticed a blue curtain blocking it off. It's not like United needs all that space at present.


The corridor leading to the original C-North gates was blocked by a curtain?


Yes..
 
jetero
Posts: 4168
Joined: Sat Oct 11, 2014 3:45 am

Re: Whats next at IAH?

Sun May 28, 2017 2:22 am

AMERICAN757 wrote:
jetero wrote:
AMERICAN757 wrote:
Well I didn't say anything about tearing it down..but I was surprised to see a terminal full of planes but when I left to head to the gate I noticed a blue curtain blocking it off. It's not like United needs all that space at present.


The corridor leading to the original C-North gates was blocked by a curtain?


Yes..


Interesting--if I had to guess it was probably a United corporate event. When it's walled off as the C-Northwest gates are then I'd think there is something up.

Gate requirements are going to increase with the rebanking of the schedules so I doubt they'd leave them now.
 
AMERICAN757
Topic Author
Posts: 484
Joined: Sat Mar 24, 2001 12:31 pm

Re: Whats next at IAH?

Sun May 28, 2017 3:44 am

jetero wrote:
AMERICAN757 wrote:
jetero wrote:

The corridor leading to the original C-North gates was blocked by a curtain?


Yes..


Interesting--if I had to guess it was probably a United corporate event. When it's walled off as the C-Northwest gates are then I'd think there is something up.

Gate requirements are going to increase with the rebanking of the schedules so I doubt they'd leave them now.


It was interesting. As I sat in the club I noticed two aircraft that they pushed away from Old C North and tugged over to New C North
 
COflyerBOS
Posts: 161
Joined: Wed Jun 06, 2007 7:04 am

Re: Whats next at IAH?

Sun May 28, 2017 4:27 am

China Eastern's service to Houston is now rumored to start in the third quarter. We'll see but it's still a solid rumor.
 
User avatar
TWA772LR
Posts: 6088
Joined: Thu Nov 17, 2011 6:12 am

Re: Whats next at IAH?

Sun May 28, 2017 7:20 am

AMERICAN757 wrote:
What do we think Scott Kirby's plans for IAH are going to be?

I'm hoping for more regional and Texas cities to be added. Those 50 seaters still have a purpose somewhere. It's sad as a Houstonian to see the reduction in intra-Texas flying post merger, especially when DFW was gaining them through AA. Petty rivalry, I know. Tyler, Del Rio, and air service to Beaumont would be great to be returned, and adding on San Angelo and Love Field. Please bring back the Love UA!!!
You know all is right is the world when the only thing people worry about is if the president had sex with a pornstar.


The thoughts and opinions shared under this username are mine and are not influenced by my employer.
 
thomasphoto60
Posts: 3881
Joined: Thu Jan 27, 2000 1:04 pm

Re: Whats next at IAH?

Sun May 28, 2017 9:26 am

COflyerBOS wrote:
China Eastern's service to Houston is now rumored to start in the third quarter. We'll see but it's still a solid rumor.

Interesting considering that we are close to ether end of the 2nd quarter.
"Show me the Braniffs"
 
B737900ER
Posts: 928
Joined: Thu Aug 31, 2006 10:26 am

Re: Whats next at IAH?

Sun May 28, 2017 11:55 am

jetero wrote:
AMERICAN757 wrote:
jetero wrote:

The corridor leading to the original C-North gates was blocked by a curtain?


Yes..


Interesting--if I had to guess it was probably a United corporate event. When it's walled off as the C-Northwest gates are then I'd think there is something up.

Gate requirements are going to increase with the rebanking of the schedules so I doubt they'd leave them now.

The old C north is empty. All the seats and gate equipment have been removed. It's just used for overflow parking.
 
User avatar
iahcsr
Posts: 4631
Joined: Fri Jun 04, 1999 2:59 pm

Re: Whats next at IAH?

Sun May 28, 2017 1:48 pm

AMERICAN757 wrote:
jetero wrote:
AMERICAN757 wrote:

Yes..


Interesting--if I had to guess it was probably a United corporate event. When it's walled off as the C-Northwest gates are then I'd think there is something up.

Gate requirements are going to increase with the rebanking of the schedules so I doubt they'd leave them now.


It was interesting. As I sat in the club I noticed two aircraft that they pushed away from Old C North and tugged over to New C North

Old north is being used as a aircraft parking area, no active flight activities. The curtain is there to keep people from wondering around in the unused space.
Working Hard, Flying Right Friendly....
 
AMERICAN757
Topic Author
Posts: 484
Joined: Sat Mar 24, 2001 12:31 pm

Re: Whats next at IAH?

Sun May 28, 2017 2:53 pm

Got it. That makes sense. With such nice facilities being built it would be great to see UA utilized IAH to its fullest potential.
 
jetero
Posts: 4168
Joined: Sat Oct 11, 2014 3:45 am

Re: Whats next at IAH?

Sun May 28, 2017 3:21 pm

iahcsr wrote:
Old north is being used as a aircraft parking area, no active flight activities. The curtain is there to keep people from wondering around in the unused space.


Seems like a waste of perfectly convenient gates until construction starts. Walking distances at IAH are only getting worse with the moving sidewalks being taken out and no train station at the new C-North.

In any case, UA seats at IAH are up 2.8% 3Q and flat for the 4Q--flights are slightly down so increase in seats is from upgauging, but the 4Q schedules haven't been fleeted yet. Rebanking should also raise load factors, so UA should start growing again, absent need to shift capacity for some market share battle at DEN, EWR, or SFO. They pulled down too much to begin with, as IAH bore the brunt of 50-seat retirements.

COflyerBOS wrote:
China Eastern's service to Houston is now rumored to start in the third quarter. We'll see but it's still a solid rumor.


If true, they would certainly be shooting themselves in the foot re advance ticket sales.
 
NichCage
Posts: 916
Joined: Wed Jun 22, 2016 6:43 pm

Re: Whats next at IAH?

Sun May 28, 2017 3:27 pm

I think Air India has also expressed interested in flying to IAH. Otherwise, Cathay Pacific, China Airlines, and China Eastern are the airlines that have also expressed interest into flying to IAH.

Why doesn't Etihad Airways serve IAH?
 
COflyerBOS
Posts: 161
Joined: Wed Jun 06, 2007 7:04 am

Re: Whats next at IAH?

Sun May 28, 2017 3:28 pm

Sorry, I typed that wrong. Is supposed to read "sometime after the third quarter."

Orient Aviation says sometime after September for China Eastern to enter the market.
 
LAXdude1023
Posts: 5374
Joined: Thu Sep 07, 2006 3:16 pm

Re: Whats next at IAH?

Sun May 28, 2017 4:07 pm

NichCage wrote:
I think Air India has also expressed interested in flying to IAH. Otherwise, Cathay Pacific, China Airlines, and China Eastern are the airlines that have also expressed interest into flying to IAH.

Why doesn't Etihad Airways serve IAH?


Because they fly to Dallas and can feed AA connections there. By that same token AI appears to be choosing DFW over IAH (though it's my opinion either city will be a disaster for them).

To my knowledge CX has no interest in Houston. Neither does CI. MU on the other hand does.
Next flight: IAH-UIO-IAH on UA in Y
 
GamingPolaris
Posts: 100
Joined: Mon Aug 01, 2016 12:20 am

Re: Whats next at IAH?

Sun May 28, 2017 4:41 pm

UA has been operating the Boeing 777-300ER on the IAH-LHR route for the past week. Hopefully it lasts longer.
 
User avatar
AVENSAB727
Posts: 1305
Joined: Sun Jul 01, 2012 4:02 am

Re: Whats next at IAH?

Sun May 28, 2017 4:47 pm

GamingPolaris wrote:
UA has been operating the Boeing 777-300ER on the IAH-LHR route for the past week. Hopefully it lasts longer.

I have noticed that too in the past days of that week, hopefully it stays, and maybe NRT/AMS go to the 77W as well.
Always look on the bright side of Life!
 
User avatar
iahcsr
Posts: 4631
Joined: Fri Jun 04, 1999 2:59 pm

Re: Whats next at IAH?

Mon May 29, 2017 5:28 am

jetero wrote:
iahcsr wrote:
Old north is being used as a aircraft parking area, no active flight activities. The curtain is there to keep people from wondering around in the unused space.


Seems like a waste of perfectly convenient gates until construction starts. Walking distances at IAH are only getting worse with the moving sidewalks being taken out and no train station at the new C-North.

In any case, UA seats at IAH are up 2.8% 3Q and flat for the 4Q--flights are slightly down so increase in seats is from upgauging, but the 4Q schedules haven't been fleeted yet. Rebanking should also raise load factors, so UA should start growing again, absent need to shift capacity for some market share battle at DEN, EWR, or SFO. They pulled down too much to begin with, as IAH bore the brunt of 50-seat retirements.

COflyerBOS wrote:
China Eastern's service to Houston is now rumored to start in the third quarter. We'll see but it's still a solid rumor.


If true, they would certainly be shooting themselves in the foot re advance ticket sales.

UA doesn't have the staffing above or below the wing to operate both old and new C north at the same time.
Working Hard, Flying Right Friendly....
 
jetero
Posts: 4168
Joined: Sat Oct 11, 2014 3:45 am

Re: Whats next at IAH?

Mon May 29, 2017 6:04 am

iahcsr wrote:
jetero wrote:
iahcsr wrote:
Old north is being used as a aircraft parking area, no active flight activities. The curtain is there to keep people from wondering around in the unused space.


Seems like a waste of perfectly convenient gates until construction starts. Walking distances at IAH are only getting worse with the moving sidewalks being taken out and no train station at the new C-North.

In any case, UA seats at IAH are up 2.8% 3Q and flat for the 4Q--flights are slightly down so increase in seats is from upgauging, but the 4Q schedules haven't been fleeted yet. Rebanking should also raise load factors, so UA should start growing again, absent need to shift capacity for some market share battle at DEN, EWR, or SFO. They pulled down too much to begin with, as IAH bore the brunt of 50-seat retirements.

COflyerBOS wrote:
China Eastern's service to Houston is now rumored to start in the third quarter. We'll see but it's still a solid rumor.


If true, they would certainly be shooting themselves in the foot re advance ticket sales.

UA doesn't have the staffing above or below the wing to operate both old and new C north at the same time.


Thanks. In this age of conspiracy theories, it's very comforting to have such a rational explanation!
 
AMERICAN757
Topic Author
Posts: 484
Joined: Sat Mar 24, 2001 12:31 pm

Re: Whats next at IAH?

Mon May 29, 2017 6:51 pm

I am excited to see how the rebanking of the hub will play out.
 
GamingPolaris
Posts: 100
Joined: Mon Aug 01, 2016 12:20 am

Re: Whats next at IAH?

Tue May 30, 2017 3:02 am

I wonder what date will China Eastern commence flights to IAH. It's been rumored for quite a while and it's getting old.
 
LAXdude1023
Posts: 5374
Joined: Thu Sep 07, 2006 3:16 pm

Re: Whats next at IAH?

Tue May 30, 2017 1:32 pm

GamingPolaris wrote:
I wonder what date will China Eastern commence flights to IAH. It's been rumored for quite a while and it's getting old.


Thats why its called a rumor. MU has expressed interest, but until they apply to move slots around with the DOT, it means nothing.
Next flight: IAH-UIO-IAH on UA in Y
 
GamingPolaris
Posts: 100
Joined: Mon Aug 01, 2016 12:20 am

Re: Whats next at IAH?

Tue May 30, 2017 1:58 pm

LAXdude1023 wrote:
GamingPolaris wrote:
I wonder what date will China Eastern commence flights to IAH. It's been rumored for quite a while and it's getting old.


Thats why its called a rumor. MU has expressed interest, but until they apply to move slots around with the DOT, it means nothing.


There are no slots to move around. IAH has no slots, with the exception of PVG, but they obviously are not controlled by the US DOT.
 
IAHWorldflyer
Posts: 680
Joined: Mon Feb 06, 2012 7:22 pm

Re: Whats next at IAH?

Tue May 30, 2017 2:22 pm

I flew into IAH last week and for the first time arrived at the new C North. Very nice facility, but the walk down to the center of C is really long. As a person with a slight mobility impairment, it is upsetting to me that they have also removed the moving walkways in E, in favor of more retail. IAH is my home airport, but the number 1 complaint I hear from traveler's not based here is the long walks between connections. Second complaint is a lack of clear signage, which, in some cases is valid.
 
LAXdude1023
Posts: 5374
Joined: Thu Sep 07, 2006 3:16 pm

Re: Whats next at IAH?

Tue May 30, 2017 2:22 pm

GamingPolaris wrote:
LAXdude1023 wrote:
GamingPolaris wrote:
I wonder what date will China Eastern commence flights to IAH. It's been rumored for quite a while and it's getting old.


Thats why its called a rumor. MU has expressed interest, but until they apply to move slots around with the DOT, it means nothing.


There are no slots to move around. IAH has no slots, with the exception of PVG, but they obviously are not controlled by the US DOT.


Not slots, I meant frequencies. There are no China-US frequencies left.
Next flight: IAH-UIO-IAH on UA in Y
 
slider
Posts: 7058
Joined: Wed Feb 25, 2004 11:42 pm

Re: Whats next at IAH?

Tue May 30, 2017 3:01 pm

TWA772LR wrote:
Terminal D is the next big project at IAH. I'd love to know what happened to the B North renovation plans as well as the B FIS. Slow down in travel or not, another FIS is needed at IAH. Although most of the congestion in the current one is due to CBP staffing (80 positions and only ~15 are filled on a good day in immigration), but the big nightmare is international baggage claim and customs. It is a very unpleasant experience and that whole floor needs to be revamped with more lighting or a whole reconfiguration of the area, or a new FIS ;)


So on that topic, and perhaps someone can clarify because I don't know--is UA beholden to the Terminal D completion before the next phase of B North??

Also, TWA, I'd add that whilst you say HOU and IAH will coexist just fine, your own comment betrays that when you mention CBP staffing---it's a finite pool and now that HOU has FIS and international service, some of that resource was diverted from IAH and the Port of Houston.

As for international bag claim and customs, I don't agree with you there. I've had nothing but great experiences arriving into Houston. Now, if you're at the back of the bus and have a lot of activity coming in, congestion is a major issue, I get that. But the flow is generally OK!!
 
User avatar
TWA772LR
Posts: 6088
Joined: Thu Nov 17, 2011 6:12 am

Re: Whats next at IAH?

Tue May 30, 2017 3:06 pm

slider wrote:
TWA772LR wrote:
Terminal D is the next big project at IAH. I'd love to know what happened to the B North renovation plans as well as the B FIS. Slow down in travel or not, another FIS is needed at IAH. Although most of the congestion in the current one is due to CBP staffing (80 positions and only ~15 are filled on a good day in immigration), but the big nightmare is international baggage claim and customs. It is a very unpleasant experience and that whole floor needs to be revamped with more lighting or a whole reconfiguration of the area, or a new FIS ;)


So on that topic, and perhaps someone can clarify because I don't know--is UA beholden to the Terminal D completion before the next phase of B North??

Also, TWA, I'd add that whilst you say HOU and IAH will coexist just fine, your own comment betrays that when you mention CBP staffing---it's a finite pool and now that HOU has FIS and international service, some of that resource was diverted from IAH and the Port of Houston.

As for international bag claim and customs, I don't agree with you there. I've had nothing but great experiences arriving into Houston. Now, if you're at the back of the bus and have a lot of activity coming in, congestion is a major issue, I get that. But the flow is generally OK!!

I've worked as an employee in FIS for various airlines in IAH and I've seen the Customs line go all the way back to the last carousels, and arc back around toward the front. I don't even like being in there as an employee, much less as a pax after a 15 hour flight from DXB.

As far as CBP staffing goes, hire more agents. I'd love to get into that topic, but that's a political issue and this isn't the thread for that.

D is not UAs project, it's the City of Houston's.
You know all is right is the world when the only thing people worry about is if the president had sex with a pornstar.


The thoughts and opinions shared under this username are mine and are not influenced by my employer.
 
AMERICAN757
Topic Author
Posts: 484
Joined: Sat Mar 24, 2001 12:31 pm

Re: Whats next at IAH?

Tue May 30, 2017 4:00 pm

I hope perhaps B renovation could be moved up and those banjos removed to create a nicer space to mimic new C North.
 
User avatar
iahcsr
Posts: 4631
Joined: Fri Jun 04, 1999 2:59 pm

Re: Whats next at IAH?

Tue May 30, 2017 4:11 pm

AMERICAN757 wrote:
I hope perhaps B renovation could be moved up and those banjos removed to create a nicer space to mimic new C North.

I believe that's on the back burner for now unfortunately. On an ever so slight plus side I'm informed (correctly I hope) there is now a walkway open between C north and B north which is quite beneficial if one has the right connecting gates.
Working Hard, Flying Right Friendly....
 
jplatts
Posts: 1848
Joined: Sat Mar 18, 2017 6:42 pm

Re: Whats next at IAH?

Tue May 30, 2017 5:20 pm

Delta might possibly add IAH to LAX nonstop service since IAH is a major Texas market and since Delta already does nonstop flights from LAX to 3 other Texas markets (DFW, AUS, and SAT).
 
jplatts
Posts: 1848
Joined: Sat Mar 18, 2017 6:42 pm

Re: Whats next at IAH?

Tue May 30, 2017 5:26 pm

Virgin America had previously announced plans to do nonstops to Houston from SFO and LAX, but has not yet added service to Houston from SFO and LAX. Alaska might end up adding nonstop service from IAH to both SFO to LAX, but might operate the IAH-SFO and IAH-LAX nonstop service under the Alaska brand.
 
AMERICAN757
Topic Author
Posts: 484
Joined: Sat Mar 24, 2001 12:31 pm

Re: Whats next at IAH?

Tue May 30, 2017 6:51 pm

iahcsr wrote:
AMERICAN757 wrote:
I hope perhaps B renovation could be moved up and those banjos removed to create a nicer space to mimic new C North.

I believe that's on the back burner for now unfortunately. On an ever so slight plus side I'm informed (correctly I hope) there is now a walkway open between C north and B north which is quite beneficial if one has the right connecting gates.


I wish I would've saw that before I took the airport train over from C to B to catch my connection to DTW the other day. I've only checked out the new C one time but have yet to arrive or depart from it.
 
jetero
Posts: 4168
Joined: Sat Oct 11, 2014 3:45 am

Re: Whats next at IAH?

Tue May 30, 2017 8:07 pm

slider wrote:
So on that topic, and perhaps someone can clarify because I don't know--is UA beholden to the Terminal D completion before the next phase of B North


No, they're separate agreements.
 
User avatar
KTPAFlyer
Posts: 764
Joined: Sat Oct 10, 2015 8:08 pm

Re: Whats next at IAH?

Tue May 30, 2017 8:52 pm

IAHWorldflyer wrote:
I flew into IAH last week and for the first time arrived at the new C North. Very nice facility, but the walk down to the center of C is really long. As a person with a slight mobility impairment, it is upsetting to me that they have also removed the moving walkways in E, in favor of more retail. IAH is my home airport, but the number 1 complaint I hear from traveler's not based here is the long walks between connections. Second complaint is a lack of clear signage, which, in some cases is valid.


They removed the moving walkways is E?! I was there two months ago and only made my connection because I was running like crazy from E East to C South on those walkways. It really is a shame if they did, because otherwise it is indeed a very long walk.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos