Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

jetero

Re: Whats next at IAH?

Tue May 30, 2017 9:27 pm

KTPAFlyer wrote:
IAHWorldflyer wrote:
I flew into IAH last week and for the first time arrived at the new C North. Very nice facility, but the walk down to the center of C is really long. As a person with a slight mobility impairment, it is upsetting to me that they have also removed the moving walkways in E, in favor of more retail. IAH is my home airport, but the number 1 complaint I hear from traveler's not based here is the long walks between connections. Second complaint is a lack of clear signage, which, in some cases is valid.

They removed the moving walkways is E?! I was there two months ago and only made my connection because I was running like crazy from E East to C South on those walkways. It really is a shame if they did, because otherwise it is indeed a very long walk.

And in C. For "island" concessions.

iahcsr

Tue May 30, 2017 10:51 pm

jetero wrote:
KTPAFlyer wrote:
IAHWorldflyer wrote:
I flew into IAH last week and for the first time arrived at the new C North. Very nice facility, but the walk down to the center of C is really long. As a person with a slight mobility impairment, it is upsetting to me that they have also removed the moving walkways in E, in favor of more retail. IAH is my home airport, but the number 1 complaint I hear from traveler's not based here is the long walks between connections. Second complaint is a lack of clear signage, which, in some cases is valid.

They removed the moving walkways is E?! I was there two months ago and only made my connection because I was running like crazy from E East to C South on those walkways. It really is a shame if they did, because otherwise it is indeed a very long walk.

Some beancounter, either with HAS or UA (or both) decided maintaining cost for the slidewalks wasn't worth the benefit of their continued use. Plus the additional retail income and employment always makes beancounters happy. :ashamed: :banghead:
Working Hard, Flying Right Friendly....

jetero

Tue May 30, 2017 10:59 pm

iahcsr wrote:
jetero wrote:
KTPAFlyer wrote:

Some beancounter, either with HAS or UA (or both) decided maintaining cost for the slidewalks wasn't worth the benefit of their continued use. Plus the additional retail income and employment always makes beancounters happy. :ashamed: :banghead:

The moving walkways are all in terminal and concourse areas fully leased and operated by United, so it wasn't HAS. UA switched over the concession contract from Westfield to OTG not too long ago, and OTG is a big proponent of the island concessions, both in the corridors and holdrooms. I'm sure the financial consideration for the transaction was some upfront payment from OTG to United followed by payments of percentage of sales. The more square footage they were able to add, the bigger upfront payment. (That's a guess, though.) Not sure how it will work out--OTG has higher prices, but supposedly better quality. Also, not as many branded outlets.

AMERICAN757
Topic Author

Wed May 31, 2017 1:46 am

Will there be a new pickup/dropoff area I front of the New C North? The walk is awful.

iahcsr

Wed May 31, 2017 1:58 am

AMERICAN757 wrote:
Will there be a new pickup/dropoff area I front of the New C North? The walk is awful.

Unfortunately not. What you see now is what it will be. I consider it unwanted, but needed, exercise program.

jetero

Wed May 31, 2017 2:20 am

iahcsr wrote:
AMERICAN757 wrote:

Unfortunately not. What you see now is what it will be. I consider it unwanted, but needed, exercise program.

I predict they'll eventually put an APM station there.

AMERICAN757
Topic Author

Wed May 31, 2017 2:23 am

iahcsr wrote:
AMERICAN757 wrote:

Yikes that is not going to be fun on a regular basis! As we all know people already complain.

Okcflyer

Wed May 31, 2017 2:47 am

AMERICAN757 wrote:
iahcsr wrote:
AMERICAN757 wrote:
I hope perhaps B renovation could be moved up and those banjos removed to create a nicer space to mimic new C North.

I believe that's on the back burner for now unfortunately. On an ever so slight plus side I'm informed (correctly I hope) there is now a walkway open between C north and B north which is quite beneficial if one has the right connecting gates.

I wish I would've saw that before I took the airport train over from C to B to catch my connection to DTW the other day. I've only checked out the new C one time but have yet to arrive or depart from it.

Yes the walkway is open to the higher B gates. It's a long walk from the new C north to the Skyway or even security for that matter. The short walk down the steps and across the old holding room for the temporary gates during B south is pretty quick. I suspect is faster than the Skyway for any of the B gates.

Customs procedures have changed and lines shouldn't be an issue now. It's basically a series of officers who randomly ask questions or pick random pax for "inspection". Otherwise, unless you have previously declared at immigration, you walk right out.

Although the lighting is a bit ... ugly ... in the baggage claim area and the blinking lights on top of the carrousels ghetto, it's decent. IAD's immigration and custom area is far worse (anyway was the last time I was there a couple years ago).

Either way, the FIS is about to undergo an expansion and reconfiguration. The parking garage outside of the escalator area from immigration to customs level is going away and the building is expanding in that direction. Bidding is complete ... you can check out RFP drawings on the airport website.

iahcsr

Wed May 31, 2017 7:03 am

jetero wrote:
iahcsr wrote:
AMERICAN757 wrote:

I'd not hold my breath on that...at best it would happen after the D and B projects. But :crossfingers:

KTPAFlyer

Wed May 31, 2017 7:31 am

Okcflyer wrote:
Customs procedures have changed and lines shouldn't be an issue now. It's basically a series of officers who randomly ask questions or pick random pax for "inspection". Otherwise, unless you have previously declared at immigration, you walk right out.

I'm surprised this isn't a bigger deal. How does this work exactly? Have they physically changed anything setup wise and are the booths even staffed? If customs is actually this easy, I'll be choosing IAH a lot more in the future.

AMERICAN757
Topic Author

Wed Sep 20, 2017 7:55 pm

Has anybody heard where HAS is at with the planning of the new International Terminal or the B-North complex?

GamingPolaris

Wed Sep 20, 2017 8:47 pm

AMERICAN757 wrote:
Has anybody heard where HAS is at with the planning of the new International Terminal or the B-North complex?

All I know is that bidding was completed and construction of MLIT is slated to start late 2017 or early 2018. I'm more inclined to early 2018.

TWA772LR

Thu Sep 21, 2017 12:56 am

iahcsr wrote:
jetero wrote:
iahcsr wrote:

I'd not hold my breath on that...at best it would happen after the D and B projects. But :crossfingers:

A whole new station is excessive. All they really need are escalators going the other direction.
When wasn't America great?

The thoughts and opinions shared under this username are mine and are not influenced by my employer.

jetero

Thu Sep 21, 2017 1:48 am

TWA772LR wrote:
iahcsr wrote:
jetero wrote:

A whole new station is excessive. All they really need are escalators going the other direction.

There's no structure to the west of the C APM station though!

TWA772LR

Thu Sep 21, 2017 2:04 am

jetero wrote:
TWA772LR wrote:
iahcsr wrote:

There's no structure to the west of the C APM station though!

Less expensive than building a whole new station 10 feet from the current one lol.
When wasn't America great?

The thoughts and opinions shared under this username are mine and are not influenced by my employer.

jetero

Thu Sep 21, 2017 2:53 am

Much more than 10 feet. More like 1000.

AMERICAN757
Topic Author

Sat Jan 20, 2018 5:41 pm

So now that we are in 2018 has anyone seen/heard any information about Terminal D remodel and when that may begin? What about HAS plans for B-North? Flew out of there the other day and I really wish it was the same treatment as the new C North.

DSS787

Tue Jan 23, 2018 9:37 pm

TWA772LR wrote:
slider wrote:
TWA772LR wrote:
Terminal D is the next big project at IAH. I'd love to know what happened to the B North renovation plans as well as the B FIS. Slow down in travel or not, another FIS is needed at IAH. Although most of the congestion in the current one is due to CBP staffing (80 positions and only ~15 are filled on a good day in immigration), but the big nightmare is international baggage claim and customs. It is a very unpleasant experience and that whole floor needs to be revamped with more lighting or a whole reconfiguration of the area, or a new FIS ;)

As far as CBP staffing goes, hire more agents. I'd love to get into that topic, but that's a political issue and this isn't the thread for that.

Not so much a political issue, but more an issue of having enough qualified people to fill the officer position and people interested in this type of law enforcement, as its not exactly the same as a street cop... Also with retirements and people leaving to other local, state, federal law enforcement agencies, and just finding a qualified applicant pool, its pretty difficult to actually grow the number of officers. To hire 5,000 officers, they probably need at least 60,000-100,000 applicants. no joke... Almost every port nationwide is short staffed, whether its land border, airport, or seaport. And another poster was right, with HOU, they had to take officers from IAH to fill the needs at HOU. IAH was already short staffed to begin with, though it is an airport that gets a good amount of new officers.

AMERICAN757
Topic Author

Thu Apr 19, 2018 2:08 pm

So it's been awhile..has anyone heard updates about the new terminal D or the new B-North? HAS seems awfully silent and so does United about their plans at IAH. Would love to see more action to improve the terminals. I've been departing out of the New C North a lot lately and love the experience of it. For those arriving to Houston it makes a great first impression.

Also, I read in the United Network thread that this summer were up to around 520 peak departures. Can we expect anymore growth this year?

Airlines0613

Thu Apr 19, 2018 2:38 pm

I haven’t heard any news nor rumors, which is really weird and concerning. Construction on MLIT was supposed to start in the first months of this year. It’s now April and no news of it commencing.

AMERICAN757
Topic Author

Sat Apr 21, 2018 1:23 am

Somebody, anybody!? Theres got to be someone who knows or has heard something!

thomasphoto60

Sat Apr 21, 2018 1:57 am

AMERICAN757 wrote:
Somebody, anybody!? There's got to be someone who knows or has heard something!

Aside from EK restarting A380 ops in June, CA starting Panama ops earlier this month, it has been a fairly quiet 2018 so far. I am sure something is happening, but it's is likely not too exciting and not newsworthy (at least not for those who hang around here). If something does break, it will no doubt be posted here.
"Show me the Braniffs"

Okcflyer

Sat Apr 21, 2018 11:51 pm

I imagine the general construction industry is a bit oversold / overloaded with all of the Harvey rework. Hopefully we hear something new soon! The $2M Polaris Club opens in a couple weeks.

GreenCountry

Thu Apr 26, 2018 7:31 pm

Okcflyer wrote:
I imagine the general construction industry is a bit oversold / overloaded with all of the Harvey rework. Hopefully we hear something new soon! The $2M Polaris Club opens in a couple weeks.

Source? It was recently in the news that the IAH Polaris Club will open by the end of the year.

AMERICAN757
Topic Author

Fri Apr 27, 2018 4:17 pm

GreenCountry wrote:
Okcflyer wrote:

Source? It was recently in the news that the IAH Polaris Club will open by the end of the year.

I read this morning in the q1 earnings call transcript. An executive mentioned Houstons new Polaris lounge would be opening next month.

ckfred

Fri Apr 27, 2018 4:22 pm

What would be nice is a TSA Pre line for the A-South checkpoint. If you are TSA Pre on AA, your choice is to deal with normal security A-South or go through the Pre line at A-North and walk around to the AA gates.

jetero

Fri Apr 27, 2018 4:58 pm

Airlines0613 wrote:
I haven’t heard any news nor rumors, which is really weird and concerning. Construction on MLIT was supposed to start in the first months of this year. It’s now April and no news of it commencing.

Silence on issues like this typically implies cost increases and problems getting the airlines to accept them.

Or the design work simply hasn't finished.

AVENSAB727

Fri Apr 27, 2018 5:18 pm

jetero wrote:
Airlines0613 wrote:

Silence on issues like this typically implies cost increases and problems getting the airlines to accept them.

I would hope it has to do with the design not be finished, Maybe they are prolly upgrading the terminal to include more gates perhaps?
Always look on the bright side of Life!

jetero

Fri Apr 27, 2018 5:41 pm

AVENSAB727 wrote:
jetero wrote:
Airlines0613 wrote:

I would hope it has to do with the design not be finished, Maybe they are prolly upgrading the terminal to include more gates perhaps?

The site only has so much space. Not much room to add anything.

And, were that the case, how long do you think it would take?

Okcflyer

Fri Apr 27, 2018 6:00 pm

Okcflyer wrote:

Per the construction permit taped to the construction entrance door. Didn’t take a photo.

ual763

Fri Apr 27, 2018 6:39 pm

I’ve noticed that the flagship United Club in IAH no longer has it’s third level. Is that where the new Polaris lounge is going to be located?
From flying to the NOTAM office

jetero

Fri Apr 27, 2018 6:57 pm

ual763 wrote:
I’ve noticed that the flagship United Club in IAH no longer has it’s third level. Is that where the new Polaris lounge is going to be located?

Yes

The second floor has thus been reconfigured to accommodate as many seats as possible—looks like a movie theater

greg787

Fri Aug 31, 2018 4:54 pm

All still is quiet on the construction front. I know there's now no longer a demand for increased gates in D but I would expect at least some work to slowly start.

greg787

Wed Sep 05, 2018 9:10 pm

Took a stroll through Terminal D the other day. Only activity I saw was renovations on the bathrooms.
Looks like they're just stalling for time at this point.

IAHWorldflyer

Thu Sep 06, 2018 1:37 pm

greg787 wrote:
Took a stroll through Terminal D the other day. Only activity I saw was renovations on the bathrooms.

Yeah, and when I taxied by the old C North last week, it doesn't look like any demo work has been done, in fact UA seems to be storing some planes there between runs. Mayor Turner has been in office how long now? 3 years? I know he put a stop to the plans and contracts the Parker administration had put in place, but it's ridiculous nothing has happened since.

iahcsr

Thu Sep 06, 2018 2:11 pm

jetero wrote:
KTPAFlyer wrote:
IAHWorldflyer wrote:

C never had slide walks in the gate areas (too narrow), just relatively short ones over the N and S bridges to/from the C checkin/baggage claim. These have been replaced with nothing.. just wider corridor space. To be honest at least one of these always seems to be busted at any given time and usually took days to repair; no great loss there. The longer ones in E were more useful, although also busted often. Some bean counter did a time study on all the slide walks and determined the time savings using them was only an average of 15 seconds. 15 Sec Vs the :dollarsign: constantly spend to maintain them... Vs the :dollarsign: from additional (mostly food) retail.. well.... The terminals look like shopping malls now with every empty space filled with new money spending establishments.

AVENSAB727

Thu Sep 06, 2018 2:16 pm

IAHWorldflyer wrote:
greg787 wrote:

Yeah, and when I taxied by the old C North last week, it doesn't look like any demo work has been done, in fact UA seems to be storing some planes there between runs. Mayor Turner has been in office how long now? 3 years? I know he put a stop to the plans and contracts the Parker administration had put in place, but it's ridiculous nothing has happened since.

Last that I heard they are in the design phase, and reworking the contracts. Let’ not forget Harvey, that too likely delayed things as well.
Always look on the bright side of Life!

greg787

Wed Sep 12, 2018 8:37 pm

AVENSAB727 wrote:
Last that I heard they are in the design phase, and reworking the contracts. Let’ not forget Harvey, that too likely delayed things as well.

I thought the new admin just had everyone rebid on the project. Wonder if the contractors are busy with Harvey rebuilds, but I had thought all that stuff was done now. Maybe that re-prioritized the spending of these funds.
Keep in mind this is all just conjecture.

LH658

Wed Sep 12, 2018 9:07 pm

waiting on that african route so i IAH can regain it status lol. Though whole new terminal D would be nice. I remember back around 2012 EK was in talks to build a lounge, I wonder if they still want too.

tkoenig95

Thu Sep 13, 2018 2:27 pm

With AF adding DFW in S19, can we expect anymore int'l tails in IAH soon?

jetero

Thu Sep 13, 2018 2:50 pm

greg787 wrote:
AVENSAB727 wrote:

I thought the new admin just had everyone rebid on the project. Wonder if the contractors are busy with Harvey rebuilds, but I had thought all that stuff was done now. Maybe that re-prioritized the spending of these funds.
Keep in mind this is all just conjecture.

Wrong.

The outgoing Controller, Ron Green, raised issues with how the contracts were awarded.

The incoming Controller had the same issues and wouldn't sign the contracts, which is required for City Council action.

The incoming mayoral administration was therefore forced to rebid the contracts, delaying everything by a year.

The above said, those contracts were awarded in December 2016. Fentress, the architect for DEN, ICN, and LAX TBIT was selected. If they haven't produced a design at this point, it's certainly not for lack of time. The project is obviously stalled.

thomasphoto60

Thu Sep 13, 2018 3:14 pm

tkoenig95 wrote:

Not looking good right now. Though earlier in the year, ET was the latest buzz, now they seem to have gone silent, as has MU from last year’s “pending” service. Well, at least we have our EK whale back.
"Show me the Braniffs"

DFWAviator76

Thu Sep 13, 2018 3:53 pm

thomasphoto60 wrote:
tkoenig95 wrote:

Not looking good right now. Though earlier in the year, ET was the latest buzz, now they seem to have gone silent, as has MU from last year’s “pending” service. Well, at least we have our EK whale back.

What are you complaining about? ;) I was looking at the data, and noted that IAH has 20 - yes, that's twenty - non-US carriers: Aeromexico, Air Canada, Air China, AF, Air New Zealand, ANA, Avianca, Bahamasair, BA, EK, EVA, Interjet, KLM, LH, QR, SQ, TK, VivaAerobus, Volaris, and WestJet. By my reckoning, none of those are purely seasonal carriers (although some are less than daily)

Including the recent AF addition, DFW has a mere 15 (2 of which are seasonal only).

I wonder what US airports have service from more than 20 non-US carriers. JFK is a given, and probably LAX. MIA? ORD?

BenflysDTW

Thu Sep 13, 2018 4:16 pm

BOS, IAD, MCO, SFO?

MAH4546

Thu Sep 13, 2018 4:39 pm

DFWAviator76 wrote:
thomasphoto60 wrote:
tkoenig95 wrote:

What are you complaining about? ;) I was looking at the data, and noted that IAH has 20 - yes, that's twenty - non-US carriers: Aeromexico, Air Canada, Air China, AF, Air New Zealand, ANA, Avianca, Bahamasair, BA, EK, EVA, Interjet, KLM, LH, QR, SQ, TK, VivaAerobus, Volaris, and WestJet. By my reckoning, none of those are purely seasonal carriers (although some are less than daily)

Including the recent AF addition, DFW has a mere 15 (2 of which are seasonal only).

I wonder what US airports have service from more than 20 non-US carriers. JFK is a given, and probably LAX. MIA? ORD?

MIA has 50+ foreign carriers. Two dozen from Europe alone. ORD, MCO, SFO, BOS, IAD, FLL all probably too.
a.

STT757

Thu Sep 13, 2018 6:52 pm

DFWAviator76 wrote:
thomasphoto60 wrote:
tkoenig95 wrote:

EWR has 26.
Eastern Air lines flt # 701, EWR-MCO Boeing 757

Planes4you

Thu Sep 13, 2018 7:00 pm

DFWAviator76 wrote:
thomasphoto60 wrote:
tkoenig95 wrote:

We only have 1 seasonal which is wow air

Planes4you

Thu Sep 13, 2018 7:05 pm

Whoops my bad Air France is seasonal

thomasphoto60

Thu Sep 13, 2018 7:37 pm

DFWAviator76 wrote:
thomasphoto60 wrote:
tkoenig95 wrote:

Not complaining in the least, I am quite happy and thankful for what we have. If we see a new carrier or two in the coming year, fantastic, if not, well, so be it.
"Show me the Braniffs"

tkoenig95

Thu Sep 13, 2018 7:43 pm

KLM pulled the plug ont he AMS-IAH 747M route in S18, but do we know if the cargo sector of that flight is ever going to be brought back to normal combi levels? Though seat numbers went up by 26, the cargo volume dropped considerably by 28%.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos