YoungDon

Re: Whats next at IAH?

Thu Sep 13, 2018 8:02 pm

It's going to be interesting to watch international traffic at IAH going forward for a variety of reasons. YOY total international traffic is up 0.6% this year over 2017. However, international traffic at HOU is up about 17% and shows no signs of slowing. I think WN only has around 5 international gates at HOU, but I'm sure they will continue to grow capacity if they're making money. These are primarily leisure markets that WN is serving, but it does seem to have an effect on HOU traffic. IIRC UA's Latin/Caribbean capacity has stagnated.

Long term, I don't think that any actual service or destinations at IAH are threatened by the HOU offerings, but I have no doubt that WN is affecting international growth at IAH on some level, at least to certain markets.

TWA772LR

Thu Sep 13, 2018 8:05 pm

Does anyone think theres a chance WN could return to IAH?
When wasn't America great?

The thoughts and opinions shared under this username are mine and are not influenced by my employer.

IAHWorldflyer

Thu Sep 13, 2018 8:14 pm

tkoenig95 wrote:
KLM pulled the plug ont he AMS-IAH 747M route in S18, but do we know if the cargo sector of that flight is ever going to be brought back to normal combi levels? Though seat numbers went up by 26, the cargo volume dropped considerably by 28%.

I'm pretty certain that Air France still operates a freighter into IAH several times a week. I'm not sure if AF/KL have a joint venture on cargo as they do passengers, but if they do, this probably brings the required revenue into the partnership.

NYKiwi

Fri Sep 14, 2018 1:26 am

Having connected from.UA to NZ I do agree something needs to.happen to.D. seems very sparse for shops food etc. I know it's not a long walk but maybe the whole area needs to be reconfigured or decent food hall put in and somehow linking to domestic side that way vendors will have all day traffic. Parts of C and E are decent but also went through B and wow what a time warp

LH658

Fri Sep 14, 2018 4:32 am

NYKiwi wrote:
Having connected from.UA to NZ I do agree something needs to.happen to.D. seems very sparse for shops food etc. I know it's not a long walk but maybe the whole area needs to be reconfigured or decent food hall put in and somehow linking to domestic side that way vendors will have all day traffic. Parts of C and E are decent but also went through B and wow what a time warp

There is a new B and C, and Terminal E is still fairly new, and they added more restaurants. Most needed overhaul is terminal A and D. Though terminal A, has new restaurants, and a AA lounge. Though the whole terminal can use a revamp. Don't know when they will move forward with Terminal D plans.

LH658

Fri Sep 14, 2018 4:39 am

IAHWorldflyer wrote:
tkoenig95 wrote:
KLM pulled the plug ont he AMS-IAH 747M route in S18, but do we know if the cargo sector of that flight is ever going to be brought back to normal combi levels? Though seat numbers went up by 26, the cargo volume dropped considerably by 28%.

I'm pretty certain that Air France still operates a freighter into IAH several times a week. I'm not sure if AF/KL have a joint venture on cargo as they do passengers, but if they do, this probably brings the required revenue into the partnership.

Yup AF cargo is 2 times a week, though i am not sure if it has increased ever since, KLM went to 787.

Terminal D has new security set up that has improved traveler experience in away, and new washrooms, American Express Lounge, new duty free shops, and few new eating joints.

Terminal B suppose to have it own FIS, though I am not sure when that will happen.

These are all part of the plans that HAS has announced.

I wonder if EK still wants to open there own lounge at IAH? As they planned around 4 years ago, though not enough space, so it went on hold.

AVENSAB727

Fri Sep 14, 2018 4:42 am

Always look on the bright side of Life!

TWA772LR

Fri Sep 14, 2018 5:00 am

AVENSAB727 wrote:

The thing i find funny in the article is there is no bag claim in D. Yeah theres a carousel, but it only gets used when flights get cancelled and pax recollect their bags. All international arrivals claim their bags in the FIS building, which is considered as part of terminal E.

The thoughts and opinions shared under this username are mine and are not influenced by my employer.

neomax

Fri Sep 14, 2018 6:32 am

TWA772LR wrote:

No. HOU has been a home run for WN and they would be the biggest fools in the industry to give it up.

TWA772LR

Fri Sep 14, 2018 6:42 am

neomax wrote:
TWA772LR wrote:

No. HOU has been a home run for WN and they would be the biggest fools in the industry to give it up.

I wasnt talking about giving it up. I was talking about resuming DAL service or even flights to their top largest hubs.

Airlines0613

Fri Sep 14, 2018 8:28 am

Great to hear the new Terminal D is moving forward. I’m really excited and I would like to see the new design and concept. I wonder how UA would react on behalf of Terminal D and E becoming one.

FlyingSicilian

Fri Sep 14, 2018 12:57 pm

KLM did not "pull the plug" on the 74M, they are retiring the planes. A change had to be made.

The more annoying part of IAH bag claims is that there is no domestic claim for E and all domestic ops have to over to C. Terminal D does not need a claim as 98% of those flights are international so they are going through the FIS. The bag claim for FIS is not in "E" but between the two.

I just wish UA would bring back some of the smaller Texas cities. I know AA has a better lock on the domestic traffic for many but a few would be welcome if the economics ever improve.
“Without seeing Sicily it is impossible to understand Italy.Sicily is the key of everything.”-Goethe "Journey to Italy"

GreenCountry

Wed Sep 19, 2018 5:52 pm

Planes4you wrote:
Whoops my bad Air France is seasonal

Cayman is seasonal. So you're up to three seasonals

GreenCountry

Wed Sep 19, 2018 6:27 pm

Airlines0613 wrote:
Great to hear the new Terminal D is moving forward. I’m really excited and I would like to see the new design and concept. I wonder how UA would react on behalf of Terminal D and E becoming one.

Trust me, United is heavily involved in the planning. If it's happening, United must be okay with it.

One of the more interesting aspects of the revised plans for Terminal D is the timing regarding the replacement of old C-North. In the prior plan, step one was to demolish old C-North and build the new D west pier in its place. Under the new plan, they will refresh and update old C North and add a sterile corridor on the east side, providing three additional wide-body international arrival gates and (here's the really interesting part) reopen 5 domestic gates on the west side of D-West (old C-North). Presumably, United has expressed a need for those 5 additional domestic gates in the fairly near-term.
Last edited by GreenCountry on Wed Sep 19, 2018 6:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

alggag

Wed Sep 19, 2018 6:50 pm

TWA772LR wrote:
neomax wrote:
TWA772LR wrote:

I wasnt talking about giving it up. I was talking about resuming DAL service or even flights to their top largest hubs.

I would say that there's now zero chance given the international wing at HOU along with all the refurbishment work in general at HOU that upgraded it from slightly better than a bus station to a rather pleasant to use secondary airport.

Also, regarding D at IAH I don't think it's that bad. Simple and basic yes, but not the worst terminal I've been to.

4engines4lnghll

Wed Sep 19, 2018 8:30 pm

TWA772LR wrote:
neomax wrote:
TWA772LR wrote:

The whole point of why SWA dominates airports like HOU DAL FLL is because theres a secondary airport market that they fill and they're known for it. AA operates DFW-IAH/HOU and UA IAH-DFW/DAL but only because its a hub for business/downtown pax kind of route. Hardly anyone would get on SWA jet out of IAH or DFW if it existed.
4engines4lnghll

slider

Wed Sep 19, 2018 8:45 pm

FlyingSicilian wrote:
I just wish UA would bring back some of the smaller Texas cities. I know AA has a better lock on the domestic traffic for many but a few would be welcome if the economics ever improve.

Kirby's talked about it, but so far damn near little movement on that front. UA (old CO, really) ceded a lot of that to AA (and WN in some select instances) and recently announced stupid crap like IAH-CAK and DAY instead of taking back Texas.

FlyingSicilian

Wed Sep 19, 2018 8:46 pm

Sadly UA stopped IAH-DAL (which I took often and miss)

WN gets "control" four of the five int'l gates at HOU if I recall correctly. I do not remember if they use the fifth or not, but one is supposed to be around for other players (Copa to PTy one day? Long shot I know, or a Mexican low cost maybe.)
“Without seeing Sicily it is impossible to understand Italy.Sicily is the key of everything.”-Goethe "Journey to Italy"

FlyingSicilian

Wed Sep 19, 2018 8:48 pm

slider wrote:
FlyingSicilian wrote:

Kirby's talked about it, but so far damn near little movement on that front. UA (old CO, really) ceded a lot of that to AA (and WN in some select instances) and recently announced stupid crap like IAH-CAK and DAY instead of taking back Texas.

Well, IAH-SJT would make my life easier LOL. I know several AF Reserve pilots at UA not happy when the Del Rio flight left. It was a common non-rev for them since they did their duty at Laughlin AFB. I even miss EFD; Did it often.

TWA772LR

Wed Sep 19, 2018 9:20 pm

4engines4lnghll wrote:
TWA772LR wrote:
neomax wrote:

The whole point of why SWA dominates airports like HOU DAL FLL is because theres a secondary airport market that they fill and they're known for it. AA operates DFW-IAH/HOU and UA IAH-DFW/DAL but only because its a hub for business/downtown pax kind of route. Hardly anyone would get on SWA jet out of IAH or DFW if it existed.

So LAX, SFO, LGA, EWR, MCO, IAD, DCA, and BWI are flukes?

tbboko802

Wed Sep 19, 2018 9:45 pm

Cayman no longer flies to DFW,
Be Open to Change

jetero

Wed Sep 19, 2018 9:53 pm

FlyingSicilian wrote:

WN gets "control" four of the five int'l gates at HOU if I recall correctly. I do not remember if they use the fifth or not, but one is supposed to be around for other players (Copa to PTy one day? Long shot I know, or a Mexican low cost maybe.)

Four are preferential use (de facto Southwest exclusive but City can schedule other airlines if WN isn’t using), and 1 is common use, open to Southwest or anyone else.

4engines4lnghll

Thu Sep 20, 2018 1:21 am

TWA772LR wrote:
4engines4lnghll wrote:
TWA772LR wrote:

My whole reply was to point out southwest only flying to some secondary city airports. I’m fully aware they fly to those places, but thanks anyway!
4engines4lnghll

TWA772LR

Thu Sep 20, 2018 3:29 am

4engines4lnghll wrote:
TWA772LR wrote:
4engines4lnghll wrote:

My whole reply was to point out southwest only flying to some secondary city airports. I’m fully aware they fly to those places, but thanks anyway!

I get your point but Southwest doesnt solely fly in to secondary airports anymore. My point is Houston is big enough to warrant token WN service at IAH. In fact WN flew into IAH first and continued to do so for over 30 years.

AVENSAB727

Fri Nov 02, 2018 12:09 am

https://www.chron.com/g00/business/bizf ... i10c.dv=14
Terminal D expansion FINALLY moves forward.

drerx7

Fri Nov 02, 2018 12:14 am

I'm looking at the 2 renderings... I'm unclear on if this expands gates...
HOUSTON, TEXAS

AVENSAB727

Fri Nov 02, 2018 12:22 am

drerx7 wrote:

We will find out as the project progresses.

TWA772LR

Fri Nov 02, 2018 1:19 am

drerx7 wrote:

This does leave a lot of questions.
Will they integrate old C North to D?
Why just 2 A380 gates?
Where in E will the counters for other airlines be?
Will UA fork over said counters for the other airlines?
Are they adding more pre-security space for these counters?
Will they make the E TSA checkpoint bigger to accommodate the extra traffic?
What will happen to the D check-in area? New domestic baggage claim for E?
Is this reflected in the master plan?
Will there be the fabled Terminal F where the UA hangars are now?
Will this be made into a bunker for POTUS like DEN?
Will Boeing make a 757neo?
Will this make United finally get a new livery?
Is this all a plot by Delta to flip the bird to DTW?

JK on the last 4. ;)

flyingclrs727

Fri Nov 02, 2018 4:26 am

TWA772LR wrote:
4engines4lnghll wrote:
TWA772LR wrote:

I get your point but Southwest doesnt solely fly in to secondary airports anymore. My point is Houston is big enough to warrant token WN service at IAH. In fact WN flew into IAH first and continued to do so for over 30 years.

Also, there are lots of businesses associated with the oil and gas industry that are located near IAH. There is also the Woodlands which is located even further north that has lots of high income residents. A small focus city type station would be useful. When WN shut down its IAH station, it only had service to DAL. Since then WN bought Airtran and has an Atlanta hub. They have also opened a hub at DEN. Flights to DAL, DEN, ATL, MDW, and BWI would be quite useful. This would allow people living in northern parts of Houston to connect to WN's network without having to drive all the way across Houston. Even Beltway 8 gets pretty heavy traffic.

TWA772LR

Fri Nov 02, 2018 4:55 am

flyingclrs727 wrote:
TWA772LR wrote:
4engines4lnghll wrote:

Also, there are lots of businesses associated with the oil and gas industry that are located near IAH. There is also the Woodlands which is located even further north that has lots of high income residents. A small focus city type station would be useful. When WN shut down its IAH station, it only had service to DAL. Since then WN bought Airtran and has an Atlanta hub. They have also opened a hub at DEN. Flights to DAL, DEN, ATL, MDW, and BWI would be quite useful. This would allow people living in northern parts of Houston to connect to WN's network without having to drive all the way across Houston. Even Beltway 8 gets pretty heavy traffic.

DEN/DAL-IAH is my wet dream, as well as IAH-DAL on UA.

Yonderlust

Fri Nov 02, 2018 5:06 am

FlyingSicilian wrote:

I flew that IAH-DAL monthly for about 3 years for business and loved it since I'm 15 minutes from Love and my client was 15 minutes from Bush. It's loads seemed decent but I suspect the yields were low. I was sad to see it stop.

flyingclrs727

Fri Nov 02, 2018 5:09 am

TWA772LR wrote:
drerx7 wrote:

Why just 2 A380 gates?

JK on the last 4. ;)

How many A380's do you envision being simultaneously parked at IAH. LH and EK have their A380's at IAH at different times. BA used to fly a high J 744 to IAH, but now they fly 2 77E's that are timed to within minutes of UA's 2 77E's. I don't see BA giving up the frequency to replace those flights with an A380. EK and BA seem to be the only airlines wanting to add A380's to thier fleets, so what other airline would want to take an A380 off a route to move it to IAH?

iahcsr

Fri Nov 02, 2018 5:27 am

TWA772LR wrote:
drerx7 wrote:

Why just 2 A380 gates?

JK on the last 4. ;)

As I understand this the current E check in area will be expanded west and new counter space will be added for the current D airlines. Old C north will be demolished to build the additional D gates which will include two new A380 sized. This will give D four 380 gates.
Working Hard, Flying Right Friendly....

propero

Fri Nov 02, 2018 5:50 am

iahcsr wrote:
TWA772LR wrote:
drerx7 wrote:

Why just 2 A380 gates?

JK on the last 4. ;)

As I understand this the current E check in area will be expanded west and new counter space will be added for the current D airlines. Old C north will be demolished to build the additional D gates which will include two new A380 sized. This will give D four 380 gates.

That’s mostly correct from my understanding, but unless things have changed, C-North will not be demolished, but it’ll be retrofitted with sterile corridors so that it can accommodate international arrivals.

This is not what was discussed 5 years ago.

propero

Fri Nov 02, 2018 6:05 am

AVENSAB727 wrote:
https://www.chron.com/g00/business/bizfeed/article/City-Council-amends-two-contracts-appropriates-13351292.php?i10c.encReferrer=aHR0cHM6Ly9uZXdzLmdvb2dsZS5jb20v&i10c.ua=1&i10c.dv=14
Terminal D expansion FINALLY moves forward.

You don’t build a terminal for $24.5 million.

propero

Fri Nov 02, 2018 6:06 am

AVENSAB727 wrote:
drerx7 wrote:

We will find out as the project progresses.

Like, engineers will plant a column and see if it springs 1 gate or 2? Like an in vitro type thing? “We’re hoping for 1 but if we get 2 what a blessing! If we get 3? Wow! What a bargain!”

The number of gates is determined by the site area. I think the original concept was to have 24 widebody gates on the old C-North/D site. There were never to be incremental gates in number ... only more capable gates.

Unless there’s more pavement to the east you can’t do much better than that.

jplatts

Fri Nov 02, 2018 11:52 am

flyingclrs727 wrote:

I think that WN would likely serve more than just DAL nonstop from IAH if WN ever re-entered IAH, and WN would probably serve at least ATL, BWI, MDW, DAL, DEN, LAS, BNA, MSY, PHX, and STL nonstop from IAH if WN ever reentered IAH.

msp747

Fri Nov 02, 2018 2:57 pm

flyingclrs727 wrote:
TWA772LR wrote:
4engines4lnghll wrote:

WN offers service out of all three DC area airports, even though their 'hub' is at BWI. It's also about the same distance between IAD and DCA as it is IAH and HOU. I see no reason why they can't return to IAH with service to some key markets.

flyingclrs727

Fri Nov 02, 2018 8:02 pm

msp747 wrote:
flyingclrs727 wrote:
TWA772LR wrote:

WN offers service out of all three DC area airports, even though their 'hub' is at BWI. It's also about the same distance between IAD and DCA as it is IAH and HOU. I see no reason why they can't return to IAH with service to some key markets.

Slots at DCA are pretty limited. Service from IAH to DCA would probably have to be connecting service through other WN hubs like MDW, ATL, or BNA. It could even be same plane service to decrease connection times.

LAXdude1023

Fri Nov 02, 2018 8:08 pm

I was disappointed IAH didnt get any new domestic destinations in the last round of announcements. In a renewed push at IAH, I still think some holes exist. GSO and CID leap to mind.
"I dance and laugh among the rotten"

msp747

Fri Nov 02, 2018 9:13 pm

flyingclrs727 wrote:
msp747 wrote:
flyingclrs727 wrote:

Slots at DCA are pretty limited. Service from IAH to DCA would probably have to be connecting service through other WN hubs like MDW, ATL, or BNA. It could even be same plane service to decrease connection times.

I was just making an argument for why WN could serve both IAH and HOU, using their service in the DC area as an example. I don't think DCA would have to be one of the destinations if they ever start flying out of IAH. In fact, I doubt it would be.

lat41

Fri Nov 02, 2018 11:28 pm

LAXdude1023 wrote:
I was disappointed IAH didnt get any new domestic destinations in the last round of announcements. In a renewed push at IAH, I still think some holes exist. GSO and CID leap to mind.

As well as PVD for the pool of population and business in Southern New England that doesn't need or want to reach Houston and points West on UA via BOS.

CIDFlyer

Fri Nov 02, 2018 11:46 pm

LAXdude1023 wrote:
. I would like to see a return of CID also. Economy much better and CID is putting out record numbers. Would be good to maybe start with a daily ERJ175

alggag

Sat Nov 03, 2018 12:04 am

I just don't see WN returning to IAH now that HOU is a whatever term they use to avoid saying "hub" airport for international flying. It probably could support DEN/DAL/MDW/MSY/ATL service but I think that ship has sailed.

IAHWorldflyer

Tue Nov 06, 2018 10:08 pm

https://www.aviationpros.com/news/12435 ... ving-again

This is mainly a rehash of the Chronicle article, but what I'm reading is that the old Terminal C North will be demolished as part of this plan, and a new pier connected to the current D will take it's place.
I've also read that the plan is to demo the Terminal E parking garage just to the West of the E ticketing lobby and use that room to put in ticket counters for the Terminal D carriers. Then a new garage will be built over the new lobby.

Fargo

Tue Nov 06, 2018 10:10 pm

When is UA going to relaunch IAH-CDG?

iahcsr

Wed Nov 07, 2018 12:02 am

Fargo wrote:
When is UA going to relaunch IAH-CDG?

First you need to answer the question of why should they?
Working Hard, Flying Right Friendly....

GreenCountry

Mon Nov 12, 2018 5:47 pm

TWA772LR wrote:
drerx7 wrote:

Why just 2 A380 gates?

1. Sort of. The old C North structure will be torn down and a new structure built in its place. The new structure will be part of the International/Terminal D Complex
2. Probably because they don't anticipate ever needing any more than 2 A380 gates.
3. As others have mentioned, all of the ticket counters will be in the central building, between the roadways, as in Terminal C. I suspect they may eventually relater Terminals D & E to be "Terminal D".
4. No. The building will be expanded.
5. Yes.
6. Yes.
7. (a) The D check-in area will be demolished and replaced by north concourse structure for retail, airline clubs and gates (b) Yes, there will be domestic baggage claim in Terminal E.
8. Yes. sort of. The master plan adopted the previous International terminal plan. But of course it's been modified.
9. Not any time soon.

GreenCountry

Mon Nov 12, 2018 6:19 pm

drerx7 wrote:

Yes. I'm not sure of the total number of gates, but at the end of the project, I believe they will be able to have 16 wide-bodies simultaneously parked at gates. (Of course, that allows for a significantly higher number of narrow bodies and commuter jets.

LAXdude1023

Mon Nov 12, 2018 6:25 pm

There just doesnt seem to be much going on at IAH these days. Were being reduced to talking about which terminal is due for a paint job...
"I dance and laugh among the rotten"

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos