gabo787
Topic Author

Plane crash near Yeager Airport in West Virginia

Fri May 05, 2017 11:57 am

A plane carrying 30 pax has "rolled"of the runway and crashed at Yeager airport in Virginia

Details still sketchy, hopefully no as bad as it seems

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/world-news ... a-10360955
Last edited by atcsundevil on Fri May 05, 2017 4:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Corrected title to West Virginia

BatonOps

Re: Plane crash near Yeager airport Virginia

Fri May 05, 2017 12:07 pm

The article says FOUR people. Why are you saying 30 pax???

catdaddy63

Fri May 05, 2017 12:08 pm

gabo787
Topic Author

Fri May 05, 2017 12:09 pm

BatonOps wrote:
The article says FOUR people. Why are you saying 30 pax???

It has been updated it said 30 people on board first time I saw it...

Airontario

Fri May 05, 2017 12:15 pm

West Virginia and Virginia are two different places.

Spacepope

Fri May 05, 2017 1:00 pm

ASN is reporting it as a crash, 2 fatalities. Shorts 330 from SDF (UPS feeder flight).
The last of the famous international playboys

blackbox67

Fri May 05, 2017 2:21 pm

Spokesperson told reporters weather was fine and aircraft made a wing-first runway contact before control was finally lost.
The approach end of runway 05 looks pretty disturbing on GoogleEarth.

http://www.jacdec.de/2017/05/05/2017-05 ... r-airport/

http://avherald.com/h?article=4a88f341

Cubsrule

Fri May 05, 2017 2:58 pm

blackbox67 wrote:
Spokesperson told reporters weather was fine and aircraft made a wing-first runway contact before control was finally lost.
The approach end of runway 05 looks pretty disturbing on GoogleEarth.

As I mentioned in the other, now-locked thread, CRW is on top of a large hill. The approach to 23 (which is more common during the day) isn't any better.
I can't decide whether I miss the tulip or the bowling shoe more

sagechan

Fri May 05, 2017 3:00 pm

Work at CRW but off today, per news reports sounds like went off at an angle at end of runway 5 after approaching on 23. The airport is built on fill and is ~300' above the valley surrounding. Plane stopped in wooded area below airport grade per below news article.

http://www.wsaz.com/content/news/Cargo- ... 27433.html
717, 733, 734, 738, 744, 752, 763, 772, 77W, 789, A319, A320, A321, A332, A333, A359, MD88, CRJ, CR7, CR9, DH1, DH2, DH3, S340, ER4, E170, E175, E190/CO, NW, US, AC, NH, AA, UA, DL, WN, WS, SK, VY, LA, QF, AR, AV, MH, KA

MainRunway

fatal crash today at charleston WV, (CRW)

Fri May 05, 2017 5:12 pm

A Shorts 330 under contract to UPS crashed this morning after a hard landing to Runway 5 at Yeager Regional Airport in Charleston WV. The pilot and co-pilot were killed in the crash. The airport is closed.

http://wvmetronews.com/2017/05/05/plane ... r-airport/

FlyHossD

Re: fatal crash today at charleston WV, (CRW)

Fri May 05, 2017 5:18 pm

My condolences to the families, friends and co-workers of those involved. I did much the same flying - including for UPS - early in my career, so this tragic accident hits close to home.
My statements do not represent my former employer or my current employer and are my opinions only.

FlyHossD

Fri May 05, 2017 5:23 pm

A link to a photo of the aircraft apparently involved:

https://www.planespotters.net/photo/431 ... rt-330-200

ACC is the only operator of Shorts 330s that I've seen in recent years.

AvHerald link:

http://avherald.com/h?article=4a88f341&opt=0
My statements do not represent my former employer or my current employer and are my opinions only.

kbmiflyer

Re: Plane crash near Yeager Airport in West Virginia

Fri May 05, 2017 6:14 pm

I know it is early, but did the landslide from last year at the end of runway 23 (approach to 5) have any impact on this crash? I believe the landslide took out a safety zone at the end of the runway. From the articles, is sounds like the plane maybe went of the side of the runway so the runoff material may not have helped.

sagechan

Fri May 05, 2017 6:18 pm

kbmiflyer wrote:
I know it is early, but did the landslide from last year at the end of runway 23 (approach to 5) have any impact on this crash? I believe the landslide took out a safety zone at the end of the runway. From the articles, is sounds like the plane maybe went of the side of the runway so the runoff material may not have helped.

The answer appears to be no. The landslide took out about 250' of a 500' EMAS bed at the end of Runway 05. Here it appears the were landing on 05 (I previously stated 23 based on how I read news article), and struck the runway past the slide area before going over the side of the hill.
717, 733, 734, 738, 744, 752, 763, 772, 77W, 789, A319, A320, A321, A332, A333, A359, MD88, CRJ, CR7, CR9, DH1, DH2, DH3, S340, ER4, E170, E175, E190/CO, NW, US, AC, NH, AA, UA, DL, WN, WS, SK, VY, LA, QF, AR, AV, MH, KA

kbmiflyer

Fri May 05, 2017 6:27 pm

Thanks,

the articles seem to be conflicting on which runway was used. Here it the flight track, it isn't complete but the last few points appear to make it look like the plane was heading to runway 5.

http://flightaware.com/live/flight/SNC1260

TVNWZ

Fri May 05, 2017 6:47 pm

Company had a questionable accident several years ago near their headquarters in MKE. Photo shoot and two of their planes collided. Three dead then.

viewtopic.php?t=378911

Cubsrule

Fri May 05, 2017 7:20 pm

What are folks hearing about when the airport might reopen? Everyone looks to have cancelled all flights for today. CRW is pretty quiet on Saturday mornings, but AA has cancelled the 0830ish CLT-CRW; both AA and DL currently plan to operate flights that land at CRW around noon.

UPS Pilot

Fri May 05, 2017 7:37 pm

I wasn't going to post since the last time I posted about UPS buying 3 used 767 and got scolded for it being a rumour even though it was true.

2 fatalities one male one female. Know names but not releasing them in respect for the families. Approx 654 packages on board.

I have no idea how some of you got 30 fatalities or 4 fatalities.

I'm very familiar with this airport. Had nothing to do with landslide and not going to speculate. I will say I had some strong weather in the Gulf of Mexico last night on a flight. Not going to speculate on that either except for facts.

UPS Pilot

Fri May 05, 2017 7:39 pm

It was on approach to 5

b747400erf

Sat May 06, 2017 4:11 am

FlyHossD wrote:
A link to a photo of the aircraft apparently involved:

https://www.planespotters.net/photo/431 ... rt-330-200

ACC is the only operator of Shorts 330s that I've seen in recent years.

AvHerald link:

http://avherald.com/h?article=4a88f341&opt=0

Nightexpress in Germany. Benair may have retired theirs.

MN Aviation used to fly them in the Caribbean they might have retired them.

Transair in Hawaii operates them.

Blankbarcode

Sat May 06, 2017 4:12 pm

Looks like the NTSB has obtained a video of the accident. Gouge marks and debris on/around the runway seem to indicate the aircraft was in a left bank. It always sounds morbid to say, but I'm curious to see the video. An absolute shame the crew was killed, especially with no fire; seems like an extra kick in the face.

DiamondFlyer

Sat May 06, 2017 4:20 pm

Blankbarcode wrote:
Looks like the NTSB has obtained a video of the accident. Gouge marks and debris on/around the runway seem to indicate the aircraft was in a left bank. It always sounds morbid to say, but I'm curious to see the video. An absolute shame the crew was killed, especially with no fire; seems like an extra kick in the face.

I've said it to myself, but if there was no fire, the only real reason this crash ended up being fatal is probably the terrain around the airport and how it was constructed.
From my cold, dead hands

Cubsrule

Sat May 06, 2017 5:22 pm

DiamondFlyer wrote:
Blankbarcode wrote:

I've said it to myself, but if there was no fire, the only real reason this crash ended up being fatal is probably the terrain around the airport and how it was constructed.

And you would propose that Charleston relocate its airport to where? CMH?

sagechan

Sat May 06, 2017 5:30 pm

Cubsrule wrote:
DiamondFlyer wrote:
Blankbarcode wrote:

Although any reasonable ROI on the project is atrocious, there were plans to build a new airport between CRW and HTS, closing both of those facilities. Since Southern WV is losing population there is absolutely no reason to dump a billion+ on a facility that's not actually needed. As unfortunate as this crash is, CRW is not so inherently unsafe to justify that cost on saftey grounds either.

Cubsrule

Sat May 06, 2017 11:29 pm

sagechan wrote:
Cubsrule wrote:
DiamondFlyer wrote:

Although any reasonable ROI on the project is atrocious, there were plans to build a new airport between CRW and HTS, closing both of those facilities. Since Southern WV is losing population there is absolutely no reason to dump a billion+ on a facility that's not actually needed. As unfortunate as this crash is, CRW is not so inherently unsafe to justify that cost on saftey grounds either.

HTS really is not much better terrain-wise, and I'm not sure there's a big flat spot in between the two. Putting aside ROI, it makes some sense to have one airport but I don't know that we would get a nice flat 10,000 foot runway or anything similar.

DiamondFlyer

Sat May 06, 2017 11:41 pm

Cubsrule wrote:
sagechan wrote:
Cubsrule wrote:

HTS really is not much better terrain-wise, and I'm not sure there's a big flat spot in between the two. Putting aside ROI, it makes some sense to have one airport but I don't know that we would get a nice flat 10,000 foot runway or anything similar.

It's not so much the length of the runway, it's the terrain immediately surrounding it. Maybe they need some EMAS on the sides of the runway there, if it comes out that the fatal injuries were caused by the tumble down the hill
From my cold, dead hands

Cubsrule

Sat May 06, 2017 11:42 pm

DiamondFlyer wrote:
Cubsrule wrote:
sagechan wrote:

It's not so much the length of the runway, it's the terrain immediately surrounding it. Maybe they need some EMAS on the sides of the runway there, if it comes out that the fatal injuries were caused by the tumble down the hill

Unless you want to ban air service to central West Virginia, terrain is going to be an issue. It's not a flat place.

sagechan

Sun May 07, 2017 2:09 am

Cubsrule wrote:
DiamondFlyer wrote:
Cubsrule wrote:

Unless you want to ban air service to central West Virginia, terrain is going to be an issue. It's not a flat place.

Cubsrule - i live here, there are areas between Charleston and Huntington that can be levelled enough for a reasonable size regional airport without the cliffs at Yeager (if you added CRW and HTS's peak years i think you get about 600,000 enplanements.) but any large scale project like that is going to require significant site work to level, but there are a couple locations it could be done. But you are correct that there really isnt any viable curretly exisiting flat land in a location that makes sense. (only places that have the flat land would be old mountaintop removal mines, but even the few with the acreage are both on mountains like Yeager and poorly located to be an inconvenient drive from both Charleston and Huntington.

The tl;dr = it could be built but its stupid to do so.

Cubsrule

Sun May 07, 2017 2:25 am

sagechan wrote:
Cubsrule wrote:
DiamondFlyer wrote:

Cubsrule - i live here, there are areas between Charleston and Huntington that can be levelled enough for a reasonable size regional airport without the cliffs at Yeager (if you added CRW and HTS's peak years i think you get about 600,000 enplanements.) but any large scale project like that is going to require significant site work to level, but there are a couple locations it could be done. But you are correct that there really isnt any viable curretly exisiting flat land in a location that makes sense. (only places that have the flat land would be old mountaintop removal mines, but even the few with the acreage are both on mountains like Yeager and poorly located to be an inconvenient drive from both Charleston and Huntington.

I think we are basically in agreement. Notwithstanding this accident and the plane that PSA put in the EMAS 5 years ago or whenever it was, CRW is not a dangerous airport. Does it require more attention than, say, ONT (2 10,000 foot plus runways with 3 ILS approaches between them)? Of course. Does it have foul weather from time to time? Of course. But it's nothing beyond the capabilities of a sensible professional pilot.

My comments on HTS were more directed to the point that it is a pointless airport, as its service levels reflect. When I was commuting to Huntington, I probably used it a third of the time, and we were not at all price sensitive for that project. Ashland/Huntington/Portsmouth are not that big to start with, and are also not all that affluent.

sagechan

Sun May 07, 2017 2:32 am

Cubsrule wrote:
sagechan wrote:
Cubsrule wrote:

I think we are basically in agreement. Notwithstanding this accident and the plane that PSA put in the EMAS 5 years ago or whenever it was, CRW is not a dangerous airport. Does it require more attention than, say, ONT (2 10,000 foot plus runways with 3 ILS approaches between them)? Of course. Does it have foul weather from time to time? Of course. But it's nothing beyond the capabilities of a sensible professional pilot.

My comments on HTS were more directed to the point that it is a pointless airport, as its service levels reflect. When I was commuting to Huntington, I probably used it a third of the time, and we were not at all price sensitive for that project. Ashland/Huntington/Portsmouth are not that big to start with, and are also not all that affluent.

Agreed, though as a nonrev on AA ive found HTS to be a useful alternative. Im curious to see if it gets RJs when thr Dash-8-300s finally retire in a few years. Biggest issue for both cities is the decline in population in the area, cant grow when you are actually getting smaller.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos