TerminalD
Topic Author

WN Cutover to ALTEA Tomorrow

Mon May 08, 2017 11:17 pm

I thought this was much further away? It will be interesting to see how the operation goes tomorrow.

Southwest Airlines Co. on Tuesday will convert its domestic reservations systems to a new platform in a complex, $500 million move that will let the carrier launch red-eye flights and make other schedule changes.

In shifting to the Amadeus reservations systems for its domestic passengers, Dallas-based Southwest (NYSE: LUV) is attempting to avoid problems experienced by other airlines that have merged systems.

http://www.bizjournals.com/dallas/news/ ... yptr=yahoo

winginit

Re: WN Cutover to ALTEA Tomorrow

Mon May 08, 2017 11:19 pm

From what I understand Southwest has been using the same 'drain-down' approach that AA/US successfully utilized with the Shares to Sabre migration. Will be interesting to see although I don't anticipate any issues.

ahj2000

Mon May 08, 2017 11:31 pm

Will this allow better utilization? Seems like having all flights land by midnight might waste money
-Andrés Juánez

TWA772LR

Mon May 08, 2017 11:49 pm

Half a billion is chump change compared to what they will rake in after Altea rolls out. When I went through my first pas service agent, the trainer told us Altea is the Cadillac of DCS's, but then I got stuck with the airline utilizing Troya (good ol' command line). Then I moved to an airline that used an overlay for a Unisys system that eventually moved to Altea. Having used command line, overlay, and GUI systems, I know for a fact Southwest is making the right investment in the right software. This will allow for redeyes, interlining, and many more international opportunities. Southwest will effectively become a new airline overnight.
ahj2000 wrote:
Will this allow better utilization? Seems like having all flights land by midnight might waste money

That's the point.
When wasn't America great?

The thoughts and opinions shared under this username are mine and are not influenced by my employer.

tomaheath

Tue May 09, 2017 12:23 am

Any ideas when we'll start seeing changes?

x1234

Tue May 09, 2017 12:45 am

Probably in the next 1-3 months. Amadeus Altea is the worlds most advanced passenger CRS system and allows WN gate agents to automate A-LOT of tasks that used to be done by CLI. It also allows WN to do dynamic pricing, increased fleet utilization, code-shares and international expansion... Be prepared for WN flight prices to go up though (Altea allows real-time pricing updates to external sites like Google flights based on IP address location, etc, etc. to maximize revenue...)

Cubsrule

Tue May 09, 2017 1:00 am

winginit wrote:
From what I understand Southwest has been using the same 'drain-down' approach that AA/US successfully utilized with the Shares to Sabre migration. Will be interesting to see although I don't anticipate any issues.

They've also been working really hard on customer expectations. I'm flying tomorrow and have received a number of emails begging me to check in online, arrive early, etc. The app has apparently taken the cutover well; OLCI for tomorrow worked just like normal for me.
I can't decide whether I miss the tulip or the bowling shoe more

TerminalD
Topic Author

Tue May 09, 2017 1:18 am

ahj2000 wrote:

I believe that the RES system is only one of the obstacles to WN having red-eyes. On another thread it was said that the operations software also needs to be replaced to do them and that is not ready now. Maybe a year? Also, the pilot contract has fairly bad terms for red-eyes.

Jshank83

Tue May 09, 2017 2:38 am

ahj2000 wrote:

They don't land by midnight now. Some flights are scheduled to land at 1 or later. I've seems some flights scheduled to land at 2 am when booking flights recently, but those are for after the crossover. That said, like others have said now they can do redeyes once it is up and running. I'll be curious to see if/where they start them.

ikolkyo

Tue May 09, 2017 2:53 am

Can't believe it took until 2017 for them to have the ability to do red eyes and other limiting factors! Can't wait to see what comes in the future for WN.

flyguy84

Tue May 09, 2017 6:14 am

h
ikolkyo wrote:
Can't believe it took until 2017 for them to have the ability to do red eyes and other limiting factors! Can't wait to see what comes in the future for WN.

They'll just be like any other network carrier. Sooner or later they're going to have to go full hub and spoke. Their perfoamce is in the toilet month after month.
SFO

n471wn

ERe: WN Cutover to ALTEA Tomorrow

Tue May 09, 2017 6:39 am

flyguy84 wrote:
h
ikolkyo wrote:

They'll just be like any other network carrier. Sooner or later they're going to have to go full hub and spoke. Their perfoamce is in the toilet month after month.

Not even close---they just announced their April traffic and RPM's were up 8.4% which humiliates the legacy carriers and their on time is middle of the pack so your statement is nonsensisical

RWA380

Tue May 09, 2017 6:49 am

Very good luck to each & every CSR at WN & to those passengers whose itinerary involves travel on WN. I hope all goes smoothly.
707 717 720 727-1/2 737-1/2/3/4/5/6/7/8/9 747-1/2/3/4 757-2/3 767-2/3/4 777-2/3 DC8 DC9 MD80/2/7/8 D10-1/3/4 M11 L10-1/2/5 A300/310/320
AA AC AQ AS BA BD BN CO CS DL EA EZ HA HG HP KL KN MP MW NK NW OZ PA PS QX RC RH RW SA TG TW UA US VS WA WC WN WP YS 8M

masseybrown

Tue May 09, 2017 2:12 pm

How soon will they start charging for baggage?

DfwRevolution

Tue May 09, 2017 2:15 pm

flyguy84 wrote:
Their perfoamce is in the toilet month after month.

By which metrics?
I have a three post per topic limit. You're welcome to have the last word.

flyingcat

Tue May 09, 2017 2:17 pm

masseybrown wrote:
How soon will they start charging for baggage?

It is now insanely easy to charge for bags in Altea. My hunch is that Southwest will start by charging for the second bag, that way they can still claim bags fly free.

x1234

Tue May 09, 2017 2:41 pm

With this successful launch Southwest I feel has some things they can do to increase revenue next quarter:

Enter high yield trans-con markets: LAX-DCA; LAX-EWR; LAX-FLL; LAX-MCO

Enter high yield Latin American markets: PTY, BOG, MTY, GDL, US Virgin Islands, SXM, LIM

Enter high yield Canadian markets: YYZ, YUL, YVR, YYC

Enter Alaska (ANC and FAI; it's incredibly high yielding$

Enter Hawaii if possible...

ericm2031

Tue May 09, 2017 3:06 pm

I'm assuming no news is good news regarding the cutover.

And their performance is not "in the toilet month after month". They just announced a big traffic jump which was higher than capacity, so higher load factor. And they are still forecasting 1-2% increase in RASM. Not many can match that right now. Not to mention they pretty much outperformed everyone last quarter.

wnflyguy

Tue May 09, 2017 3:12 pm

Well the system up and running. Only hiccups have been user error getting use to a actual live event.
Same hiccups happen when CS2 the old system update rolled out 10yr ago.

Fingers crossed!

Flyguy
my post are my opinion only and not those of southwest airlines and or airtran airlines.

bgm

Tue May 09, 2017 3:18 pm

Good luck, WN! Altea is a great system.

Hopefully they won't end up like UA did when they regressed back to SHARES. The US/AA method seems to be a much better approach.
████ ███ █ ███████ ██ █ █████ ██ ████ [redacted]

mikelive

Tue May 09, 2017 3:20 pm

:bouncy: I'm about to head in for my shift at one of their reservation centers. I'm so excited for today!

winginit

Tue May 09, 2017 3:35 pm

bgm wrote:
Good luck, WN! Altea is a great system.

Hopefully they won't end up like UA did when they regressed back to SHARES. The US/AA method seems to be a much better approach.

Not only that, but WN have it even easier as they don't have any bookings to migrate over given they only take bookings a few months in advance.

AA/US: Used a ~6 month drain down period where all new bookings were taken in Sabre and then migrated the remaining SHARES bookings into Sabre during the PSS cutover
WN: Used a ~6 month drain down period which cleared all bookings out of the old system, so no migration required and thus no issues

EA CO AS

Tue May 09, 2017 3:58 pm

mikelive wrote:
:bouncy: I'm about to head in for my shift at one of their reservation centers. I'm so excited for today!

Best of luck! Hopefully it goes smoothly, and your call center teams have offered plenty of OT just in case!
"In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem - government IS the problem." - Ronald Reagan

Comments made here are my own and are not intended to represent the official position of Alaska Air Group

jbflyguy84

Tue May 09, 2017 4:10 pm

I know this has been discussed in the past, but I can't find any previous references at the moment - but what was the system limitation that prevents red eye flights and the ability to do all this extra stuff people are discussing.

I've worked for 4 or 5 different GDS/CRS/DCS and I've never came across such limitations.

What were the limitations and what was the cause? Truly interested to know!

cledaybuck

Tue May 09, 2017 4:37 pm

x1234 wrote:
With this successful launch Southwest I feel has some things they can do to increase revenue next quarter:

They can't do LAX-DCA. Are LAX-FLL/MCO really high yield?
As we celebrate mediocrity, all the boys upstairs want to see, how much you'll pay for what you used to get for free.

MIflyer12

Tue May 09, 2017 5:45 pm

cledaybuck wrote:
x1234 wrote:

They can't do LAX-DCA. Are LAX-FLL/MCO really high yield?

LAX-FLL has Spirit on it. One can be certain it isn't high yield. The route also sees AS(VX) and B6. Plus AA on LAX-MIA, of course.

737max8

Tue May 09, 2017 7:41 pm

Other than a few long lines at the check in counters on Twitter, seems like today is going very very well. Congrats WN!
The thoughts and opinions expressed in my comments do not represent that of any airline or affiliate.
Flown on: 717 733 734 735 736 737 738 739 7M8 744 744ER 752 753 762 763 772 773ER 788 789 A319/20/21 A332 A333 A343 A359 A388

drdisque

Tue May 09, 2017 8:04 pm

WN could have flown to STT or STX at any time. They're domestic flights. They simply aren't very lucrative markets.

mnevans

Tue May 09, 2017 8:24 pm

jbflyguy84 wrote:
I know this has been discussed in the past, but I can't find any previous references at the moment - but what was the system limitation that prevents red eye flights and the ability to do all this extra stuff people are discussing.

I've worked for 4 or 5 different GDS/CRS/DCS and I've never came across such limitations.

What were the limitations and what was the cause? Truly interested to know!

Only a pure guess...but I'd imagine it's something to do with the departure and arrival dates being on different dates and the system couldn't handle that (for whatever reason).

glbltrvlr

Tue May 09, 2017 8:47 pm

I don't know how closely couple their public web interface is, but I just tried asking for a random route price in June and it just snaps back back the result.

LAX772LR

Tue May 09, 2017 9:36 pm

This airline is so strange to me. Can't believe that it's taken them until 2017 to do this.
I myself, suspect a more prosaic motive... ~Thranduil

backseatdriver

Tue May 09, 2017 9:46 pm

Call me naive, but there are two things I learned on this thread that I find incredible: (1) an airline with a net worth in the tens of billions of dollars literally couldn't fly overnight flights until now due to software limitations, and (2) the new software has the intelligence to target people like me who live in downtown metropolitan areas with higher fares using my IP address. Good times. :roll:

Cubsrule

Tue May 09, 2017 10:03 pm

drdisque wrote:
WN could have flown to STT or STX at any time. They're domestic flights. They simply aren't very lucrative markets.

Like Puerto Rico, STT and STX require a flag certificate.

wnflyguy

Tue May 09, 2017 10:10 pm

So a family friend was at MDW today from 2AM until 13:30. Nothing happened at all. The only hiccups we're user error for frontline employees getting the rhythm down using the new system.
It was otherwise a normal Tuesday morning in Chicago!

Good job to everyone at Southwest!

Flyguy
my post are my opinion only and not those of southwest airlines and or airtran airlines.

antoniemey

Tue May 09, 2017 10:14 pm

backseatdriver wrote:
(1) an airline with a net worth in the tens of billions of dollars literally couldn't fly overnight flights until now due to software limitations

Another major airline of high net worth can't put two paying passengers in the same record on standby without splitting them into separate records. Computer systems have funny quirks based on what their original creators intended them to do and what they could conceive of at the time.
Make something Idiot-proof, and the Universe will make a more inept idiot.

drdisque

Tue May 09, 2017 11:03 pm

Cubsrule wrote:
drdisque wrote:

Like Puerto Rico, STT and STX require a flag certificate.

Which WN has had for several years.

Cubsrule

Tue May 09, 2017 11:59 pm

wnflyguy wrote:
So a family friend was at MDW today from 2AM until 13:30. Nothing happened at all. The only hiccups we're user error for frontline employees getting the rhythm down using the new system.

Flyguy

I'm in HOU now on my way back from ELP. There have been lots of management types prowling about but smooth sailing so far. An agent in ELP mentioned that they had a m/x cancellation that they had trouble working, but it sounded like a familiarity issue more so than anything intrinsically wrong with the system.

wntex

Wed May 10, 2017 2:27 pm

Cubsrule wrote:
wnflyguy wrote:

Flyguy

I'm in HOU now on my way back from ELP. There have been lots of management types prowling about but smooth sailing so far. An agent in ELP mentioned that they had a m/x cancellation that they had trouble working, but it sounded like a familiarity issue more so than anything intrinsically wrong with the system.

I flew DAL-LAS-DAL yesterday and had no issues, though you could definitely tell there were lots of eyes on how things were going. Several comments were made by gate agents, FAs that today was the first day of the new system. Overall though, didn't appear that anything major came up. Good for WN!
"The chief cause of failure and unhappiness is trading what you want most for what you want now." -Zig Ziglar

spartanmjf

Wed May 10, 2017 5:06 pm

Kudos to the team at Southwest for what was, from my own experience as a passenger today, a seamless cutover. But then, it is what I expect from a company with a Frequent Flier Program that just, ahem, swept the Freddies with best overall program, best redemption ability, best customer service, and best rewards credit card.

Ding!
"Nuts to the man in 21D!"

ScottB

Wed May 10, 2017 5:25 pm

backseatdriver wrote:
Call me naive, but there are two things I learned on this thread that I find incredible: (1) an airline with a net worth in the tens of billions of dollars literally couldn't fly overnight flights until now due to software limitations

I don't find that incredible at all, to be honest. It all comes down to cost-benefit analysis: How much revenue (or more importantly, profit) are they leaving on the table weighed against the operational complexity and/or increased cost of a more modern IT platform. At some point the company had to migrate away from its existing patchwork of systems, some dating to the 1960s, but Altea is almost certainly more expensive on a per-passenger basis and they obviously incurred significant expense in training all relevant employees on the new system. On the flip side, they'll have better tools to reduce costs by optimizing schedules and better tools to generate incremental revenue. And I suspect that Amadeus gave WN an attractive deal to score a big customer win in North America.

Also, for the most part, domestic red-eye flights really aren't all that lucrative. An economy class airline seat just isn't all that comfortable a place to spend a shortened night sleeping. Red-eyes do help utilization, but they also tend to have lower yields.

winginit wrote:

I expect it helped a lot that the international itineraries were already being booked in Altea, so most of the problems had already been ironed out. I think it was slightly different from AA/US in that WN's shorter booking window meant they had zero reservations in the old system past the cutover date -- so there was limited/no need to migrate records between the systems (although I can imagine some weirdness for an itinerary outbound before May 8 and returning on or after May 8).

winginit

Wed May 10, 2017 5:41 pm

ScottB wrote:
I expect it helped a lot that the international itineraries were already being booked in Altea, so most of the problems had already been ironed out. I think it was slightly different from AA/US in that WN's shorter booking window meant they had zero reservations in the old system past the cutover date -- so there was limited/no need to migrate records between the systems (although I can imagine some weirdness for an itinerary outbound before May 8 and returning on or after May 8).

Indeed. As stated:

winginit wrote:

Not only that, but WN have it even easier as they don't have any bookings to migrate over given they only take bookings a few months in advance.

AA/US: Used a ~6 month drain down period where all new bookings were taken in Sabre and then migrated the remaining SHARES bookings into Sabre during the PSS cutover
WN: Used a ~6 month drain down period which cleared all bookings out of the old system, so no migration required and thus no issues

Cubsrule

Wed May 10, 2017 5:53 pm

ScottB wrote:
winginit wrote:

It wasn't too bad. Since WN's pricing is all one-way, they simply split the itineraries that "split" the cutover into two separate one-way itineraries with separate records. So, a roundtrip with the outbound Monday and the return tomorrow had separate locators and records for each half of it.

alggag

Wed May 10, 2017 5:55 pm

ScottB wrote:

I might be misremembering but I want to say that they were blocking you from making round trips that left on the old system and came home on the new system. I seem to recall that it was forcing you to book two one ways in that scenario to avoid any issues.

zeke

Wed May 10, 2017 6:13 pm

backseatdriver wrote:
(2) the new software has the intelligence to target people like me who live in downtown metropolitan areas with higher fares using my IP address. Good times. :roll:

ALTEA is the Facebook of CRS, it can be fully intergrated throughout the whole organization to learn customers patterns from the time they search, book, pay, loyalty programs, airport spending, lounge use, inflight catering, inflight sales, and post flight.
Human rights lawyers are "ambulance chasers of the very worst kind.'" - Sky News

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos