KTPAFlyer
Topic Author

MIA CEO: Asian airline to serve MIA within next 24 months

Tue May 09, 2017 4:29 am

Emilio Gonzalez spoke at IATA last week, hinting that the first East Asian airline is likely to be Japanese, not Chinese (shocker) and that they will make a small bundle.

My only question: What the heck is a "small bundle!?!"

http://www.thenextmiami.com/asian-passe ... ke-bundle/

anshabhi

Re: MIA CEO: Asian airline to serve MIA within next 24 months

Tue May 09, 2017 4:33 am

Maybe less parking charges or something..

upwardfacing

Tue May 09, 2017 6:06 am

JAL?

thomasphoto60

Tue May 09, 2017 6:10 am

upwardfacing wrote:
JAL?

Pretty safe bet.
"Show me the Braniffs"

chrisnh

Tue May 09, 2017 10:24 am

:lol: 'Within the next 24 months' :lol:

A timeframe clearly chosen so people will conveniently forget he even said it.

keesje

Tue May 09, 2017 11:23 am

"Never mistake motion for action." Ernest Hemingway

adamh8297

Tue May 09, 2017 11:50 am

NH is in a better position to start TYO-MIA financially
Airlines flown: A3, AA, AC, AF, AM, BA, B6, CA, CO, CX, DL, EA, EL, IB, LH, MI, MQ, NH, NW, NZ, OU, PE, QF, S4, SQ, TP, UA, US, VS, WE, WN

2019: CX BOS-HKG, WE HKG-HKT, CA HKT-PEK-EWR, B6 EWR-BOS

LAXdude1023

Tue May 09, 2017 1:04 pm

It won't be JAL. Their financials are terrible right now. They are a conservative company and won't expand until they get things in order.
FOR THE LOVE OF GOD BRING BACK THE PAYWALL!!!!

airbazar

Tue May 09, 2017 1:26 pm

I fully expect a Chinese carrier to be serving MIA in way less than 2 years. I wonder why he thinks it won't be a Chinese carrier.
CX doesn't have the plane for the route IMO. So that leaves JL as the obvious candidate since MIA is a AA hub. JL has both 789's and A359's arriving.

DaufuskieGuy

Tue May 09, 2017 2:16 pm

Amazing that BOS can support 4 East Asia destinations while PHL/CLT/MIA are at zero

787fan8

Tue May 09, 2017 2:18 pm

It could be ANA, you never know.
Atlanta is an incredibly cool city - Andrew Lincoln

Future Auburn graduate

LAXdude1023

Tue May 09, 2017 2:21 pm

DaufuskieGuy wrote:
Amazing that BOS can support 4 East Asia destinations while PHL/CLT/MIA are at zero

Its not a mystery why CLT has none. Almost no market.

As for MIA, its a victim of geography. I stand by my claim that this wont be JL, but an airline like HU could make this one work.

As for PHL, Im surprised AA doesnt run a daily to NRT from there.
FOR THE LOVE OF GOD BRING BACK THE PAYWALL!!!!

gatibosgru

Tue May 09, 2017 2:22 pm

I feel like we're always getting these kind of news from MIA and they never happen. I also don't think it is too far fetched to assume an asian carrier would fly to MIA in the next 2 years, which is quite a bit of time.
@DadCelo

EddieDude

Tue May 09, 2017 4:50 pm

So Bloomberg reported it was CX. Well, that was last year hehe. I am quite curious.
Upcoming flights:
April/May: AM MEX-SCL 788 (J), AM EZE-MEX 789 (J).

MAH4546

Tue May 09, 2017 5:04 pm

It won't be a Chinese carrier until the U.S.-China bilateral is expanded. No room to add new markets without discontinuing/reducing current ones, unless a Chinese carrier wants to fly from Miami to a secondary Chinese city, which is never going to happen.

Cathay has made it very clear it wants to fly to Miami when it has the appropriate planes to fly it non-stop. That's still many years off.
a.

B752OS

Tue May 09, 2017 5:14 pm

MAH4546 wrote:
It won't be a Chinese carrier until the U.S.-China bilateral is expanded. No room to add new markets without discontinuing/reducing current ones, unless a Chinese carrier wants to fly from Miami to a secondary Chinese city, which is never going to happen.

Cathay has made it very clear it wants to fly to Miami when it has the appropriate planes to fly it non-stop. That's still many years off.

Is it CX doesn't have a plane on their current fleet with enough range? Or is it they don't possess a plane in their current fleet that is the right size for the market?

MAH4546

Tue May 09, 2017 5:48 pm

B752OS wrote:
MAH4546 wrote:

Is it CX doesn't have a plane on their current fleet with enough range? Or is it they don't possess a plane in their current fleet that is the right size for the market?

No plane in the fleet can do MIA-HKG non-stop. It's at the edge of the A350-1000s range, and I doubt an A350-1000 can do it profitably. MIA-HKG is not a polar route, unlike NYC/BOS-HKG, so it faces a lot of problems. The 777-8 is probably what will make it possible, but Cathay does not have any on order (only the 777-9).

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles ... i-non-stop
a.

RetiredWeasel

Tue May 09, 2017 6:01 pm

MAH4546 wrote:

..... MIA-HKG is not a polar route, unlike NYC/BOS-HKG, so it faces a lot of problems....

I have no idea the ranges of the aircraft you're referencing, but how is MIA-HKG NOT a polar route or shortest route? See post #6 in this thread.

Spiderguy252

Tue May 09, 2017 6:03 pm

Air India, anybody?

Them launching new routes seems to be all the rage at the moment.
Vahroone

LAX772LR

Tue May 09, 2017 6:10 pm

B752OS wrote:
Is it CX doesn't have a plane on their current fleet with enough range?

Nope.

There's only four planes on the market (or being offered) that can realistically make the distance:
A345 - is an absolute joke that nobody wants, plus would likely be difficult to source and expensive to support
772LR - could easily do the route, but is comparatively small and might be considered "last decades's technology"
A359ULR - could do it, if CX wanted a very lite premium-heavy payload; anything heavier might limit its options
778 - seems like it could be the optimum mix of capacity, payload, and range... but won't be available in 2yrs

DaufuskieGuy wrote:

There's certainly no surprise that CLT doesn't have any.
I myself, suspect a more prosaic motive... ~Thranduil

Skyguy

Tue May 09, 2017 6:28 pm

Korean Airlines? They have a cargo flight there currently.
"Those who talk, do not know, and those who know, do not talk."

eal

Tue May 09, 2017 6:39 pm

The airport has been pushing an airline from Taiwan for awhile, my bets are on EVA from PEK. I also wouldn't be surprised by Hainan from PEK. Possibly ANA as MIA has a strong * pressence although it is a OW hub. Dark horse, JAL to codeshare with AA. AA really shouldve started MIA-NRT with its own metal but is more focused on feeding flights through DFW, ORD, LAX and SFO.

Either way this is prolly MIA's CEO blowing smoke up our collective asses.

Here's some other info about possible service from Asia:
Israel is already down on that one
http://www.thenextmiami.com/mia-set-bre ... rael-2017/
ANA has prolly expressed the most interest other than CX
http://www.thenextmiami.com/mia-still-t ... ght-tokyo/
http://www.thenextmiami.com/japans-larg ... yo-flight/
Personal anecdote-I worked with the Taiwanese E&C office due to a study abroad program and they where talking about the possibility on nonstop flights. President Tsai Ing-wen visited last year.
http://www.thenextmiami.com/heres-mia-t ... ight-asia/
http://www.thenextmiami.com/first-nonst ... ia-taiwan/
CX has been most vocal, but no plane
http://www.thenextmiami.com/cathay-paci ... ami-route/
AA won't do it
http://www.thenextmiami.com/mias-first- ... -airlines/
Last edited by eal on Tue May 09, 2017 6:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

klm617

Tue May 09, 2017 6:39 pm

gatibosgru wrote:
I feel like we're always getting these kind of news from MIA and they never happen. I also don't think it is too far fetched to assume an asian carrier would fly to MIA in the next 2 years, which is quite a bit of time.

I disagree actually Miami has a pretty good record at attracting new service. of e rumored routes have come to fruitation including a few surprises inbetween
the truth does matter, guys. too bad it's often quite subjective. the truth is beyond the mere facts and figures. it's beyond good and bad, right and wrong...

bzcat

Tue May 09, 2017 7:12 pm

eal wrote:
The airport has been pushing an airline from Taiwan for awhile, my bets are on EVA from PEK. I also wouldn't be surprised by Hainan from PEK. Possibly ANA as MIA has a strong * pressence although it is a OW hub. Dark horse, JAL to codeshare with AA. AA really shouldve started MIA-NRT with its own metal but is more focused on feeding flights through DFW, ORD, LAX and SFO.

Either way this is prolly MIA's CEO blowing smoke up our collective asses.

It certainly won't be EVA from PEK!

EVA from TPE is possible but it will require an intermediate stop. I think what's holding up either BR or CI from doing this from TPE is the fact that Taiwan-Canada air service agreement is very restrictive on frequency and no 5th freedom.

The ideal route is probably TPE-YVR-MIA but no chance in hell if there is no traffic rights on YVR-MIA.

alfa164

Tue May 09, 2017 7:27 pm

B752OS wrote:
MAH4546 wrote:

Nobody said "non-stop" did they? Maybe HKG-YVR-MIA?
I'm going to have a smokin' hot body again!
I have decided to be cremated....

MAH4546

Tue May 09, 2017 7:35 pm

alfa164 wrote:

Requires an expanded Hong Kong-Canada bilateral or CX exiting/reducing JFK-YVR. CX is only allowed to fly seven weekly U.S.-Canada flights.
a.

eal

Tue May 09, 2017 8:36 pm

[/quote]

It certainly won't be EVA from PEK!
[/quote]

*TPE, my bad

alfa164

Tue May 09, 2017 8:52 pm

MAH4546 wrote:
alfa164 wrote:

Requires an expanded Hong Kong-Canada bilateral or CX exiting/reducing JFK-YVR. CX is only allowed to fly seven weekly U.S.-Canada flights.

Do you think HKG-JFK might be mature enough for a non-stop now, allowing HKG-YVR-MIA?

And you are in MIA... what rumors do you hear?

B752OS

Tue May 09, 2017 9:10 pm

alfa164 wrote:
MAH4546 wrote:
alfa164 wrote:

Do you think HKG-JFK might be mature enough for a non-stop now, allowing HKG-YVR-MIA?

And you are in MIA... what rumors do you hear?

CX already flies HKG-JFK non-stop. I could be wrong but I believe CX has 3 daily flights into JFK - 2 are HKG-JFK non-stop and the third is HKG-YVR-JFK.

airbazar

Tue May 09, 2017 9:25 pm

LAX772LR wrote:
There's only four planes on the market (or being offered) that can realistically make the distance:
A345 - is an absolute joke that nobody wants, plus would likely be difficult to source and expensive to support
772LR - could easily do the route, but is comparatively small and might be considered "last decades's technology"
A359ULR - could do it, if CX wanted a very lite premium-heavy payload; anything heavier might limit its options
778 - seems like it could be the optimum mix of capacity, payload, and range... but won't be available in 2yrs

MIA-HKG is almost 500nm longer than SFO-SIN however it's a polar route so without the strong headwinds it should be about the same time in the air. If the 789 and A359 can do SFO-SIN albeit with a penalty in Winter, then it might be able to do MIA-HKG. There is however the problem of Chinese airspace and its unpredictable restrictions. A route like this would have to have a very strong O&D base to make up for any blocked seats or payload restriction. I don't know if that exists. I think MIA-TYO with JL or MIA-PEK with HU would do better.

Adipocere

Tue May 09, 2017 9:28 pm

EK is technically based on the continent of Asia...

LAX772LR

Tue May 09, 2017 9:40 pm

airbazar wrote:
MIA-HKG is almost 500nm longer than SFO-SIN however it's a polar route so without the strong headwinds it should be about the same time in the air. If the 789 and A359 can do SFO-SIN albeit with a penalty in Winter, then it might be able to do MIA-HKG.

UA's already blocking 2rows+ at certain days in winter, and that's without wtx closures up north.

I'm sure they could find a way to make the aircraft cover the route, but at profit-potential payload? Very doubtful.

manny

Tue May 09, 2017 10:19 pm

Air India.

FSDan

Tue May 09, 2017 11:04 pm

B752OS wrote:
I could be wrong but I believe CX has 3 daily flights into JFK - 2 are HKG-JFK non-stop and the third is HKG-YVR-JFK.

CX has 4 daily flights from JFK - 3 nonstop and 1 via YVR.

A Japanese carrier does seem to make the most sense. If my memory servers me correctly, the biggest East Asian markets from MIA are TPE, HKG, and MNL (not necessarily in that order), and all three of those would be connected easily over NRT, plus whatever demand exists for MIA-NRT and (depending on the airline and their codeshares) connections to MCO.
This is my signature until I think of a better one.

dfwjim1

Tue May 09, 2017 11:30 pm

Besides the flying time and distance what also works against MIA having direct nonstop flights to Asia is that passengers from South Florida and the Caribbean can fly from MIA to LAX, SFO, DFW, IAH...etc and easily connect to nonstop flights to Asia. Last April I was going to go to Tokyo (trip did not happen) via One World and AA's website offered me several different connecting options from MIA going through DFW, LAX, JFK and even BOS.

globalcabotage

Tue May 09, 2017 11:57 pm

As mentioned above, geography is holding MIA-Asia nonstop service.

MIA is located perfectly for LatAm and has all the Euro beach traffic supporting U.K./EU airlines.

jfk777

Wed May 10, 2017 1:59 am

Tokyo and Seoul for obvious reasons would be the first Miami to Asia flights. Which airline is the 64K question. JAL should go outside its comfort zone and discover Miami. Asiana and their new A350 could do it if they were looking for a new US city. AA sadly doesn't seem to want MIA to NRT what a shame.

commavia

Wed May 10, 2017 2:14 am

alfa164 wrote:

MAH4546 wrote:

I have absolutely no idea whether or not this would or will ever happen, nor do I have much personal stake in it anyway, but I must admit it would be very cool to see Cathay switch some or all of the existing YVR-JFK frequencies to YVR-MIA. Not only would it be great to see Cathay Pacific passenger service to Florida, but it would also be great to see nonstop capacity restored to the YVR-MIA market after such a long absence.

DaufuskieGuy

Wed May 10, 2017 11:30 am

YVR MIA on CX would IMO discourage a non stop so I would not want it were I MIA. AA or AC can fly that at any time.

airbazar

Wed May 10, 2017 1:16 pm

jfk777 wrote:
Tokyo and Seoul for obvious reasons would be the first Miami to Asia flights. Which airline is the 64K question. JAL should go outside its comfort zone and discover Miami. Asiana and their new A350 could do it if they were looking for a new US city. AA sadly doesn't seem to want MIA to NRT what a shame.

I think JL will do it. They started BOS and SAN and I think that's pretty far outside of their comfort zone. Hell, BOS was a shocker if we take into consideration that there was absolutely no service to Asia at that time. They were the "first".

BuildingMyBento

Wed May 10, 2017 1:23 pm

airbazar wrote:
I think JL will do it. They started BOS and SAN and I think that's pretty far outside of their comfort zone. Hell, BOS was a shocker if we take into consideration that there was absolutely no service to Asia at that time. They were the "first".

Even though they were the first of the most recent wave, before them I believe KE flew to BOS.

Thenoflyzone

Wed May 10, 2017 7:04 pm

alfa164 wrote:

Actually the OP's link does mention the words "non stop".

So we know it wont be a Chinese carrier (bliateral maxed out from PEK and PVG), and it won't be JL (financial issues) or CX (range).

So that leaves us with NH, KE, OZ and BR (the latter via Japan or S. Korea, as non stop TPE-MIA is also too long).
Last edited by Thenoflyzone on Wed May 10, 2017 7:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
us Air Traffic Controllers have a good record, we haven't left one up there yet !!

alfa164

Wed May 10, 2017 7:13 pm

Thenoflyzone wrote:
So we know it wont be a Chinese carrier (bliateral maxed out from PEK and PVG), and it won't be JL (financial issues) or CX (range). So that leaves us with NH, KE, OZ and BR (the latter via Japan, S. Korea, as non stop TPE-MIA is also too long).

None of which are OW members... that doesn't make much sense.

I wouldn't discount JL so fast...

Thenoflyzone

Wed May 10, 2017 7:20 pm

alfa164 wrote:
Thenoflyzone wrote:
So we know it wont be a Chinese carrier (bliateral maxed out from PEK and PVG), and it won't be JL (financial issues) or CX (range). So that leaves us with NH, KE, OZ and BR (the latter via Japan, S. Korea, as non stop TPE-MIA is also too long).

None of which are OW members... that doesn't make much sense.

Of course it does. Alliances aren't everything. These airlines can always establish key codeshare routes with AA if need be.
us Air Traffic Controllers have a good record, we haven't left one up there yet !!

LAX772LR

Wed May 10, 2017 7:35 pm

DaufuskieGuy wrote:
YVR MIA on CX would IMO discourage a non stop

How?

How would that then be different than any of the numerous other 1stop options between MIA and HKG?

DaufuskieGuy

Thu May 11, 2017 2:21 am

LAX772LR wrote:
DaufuskieGuy wrote:

How?

How would that then be different than any of the numerous other 1stop options between MIA and HKG?

it would be marketed as "direct" service, and the only by an east asian carrier, whereas the other 1 stops are not. does AA use same equipment Asia LAX/ORD/DFW MIA routings?

zeke

Thu May 11, 2017 3:39 am

airbazar wrote:
CX doesn't have the plane for the route IMO. So that leaves JL as the obvious candidate since MIA is a AA hub. JL has both 789's and A359's arriving.

The standard A350-900 will comfortably do HKG-MIA, take around 17 hrs and 100 tonnes of fuel, not even full tanks. More of an issue with crew duty limits than the aircraft.
Human rights lawyers are "ambulance chasers of the very worst kind.'" - Sky News

LAX772LR

Thu May 11, 2017 6:49 am

DaufuskieGuy wrote:
LAX772LR wrote:
DaufuskieGuy wrote:

How?

it would be marketed as "direct" service, and the only by an east asian carrier, whereas the other 1 stops are not. does AA use same equipment Asia LAX/ORD/DFW MIA routings?

Perhaps better question might be: why do you believe a "direct" marketed flight encourages 1) higher patronage than any other nonstop or 2) greater relative yield (which actually would affect the competitive landscape)?

zeke wrote:
The standard A350-900 will comfortably do HKG-MIA

It's 200mi longer than SIN-LAX, which SQ seems hesitant to use one on.
Tough envisioning it not having to take hefty hits in winter.

What flight does CX operate that it routinely has to block seats for?
I'm hard pressed to really think of any.

zeke

Thu May 11, 2017 7:39 am

LAX772LR wrote:
It's 200mi longer than SIN-LAX, which SQ seems hesitant to use one on.
Tough envisioning it not having to take hefty hits in winter.

What flight does CX operate that it routinely has to block seats for?
I'm hard pressed to really think of any.

A hypothetical return leg from MIA-HKG would be shorter flight time than SFO-SIN. No seats would need to be blocked.

Flights from west coast to SIN would be over the Pacific subject to strong headwinds, east coast to HKG are more polar.
Human rights lawyers are "ambulance chasers of the very worst kind.'" - Sky News

thekorean

Thu May 11, 2017 7:47 am

Don't get why KE doesn't try MIA. They were bold enough to try NBO.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos