Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
  • 8
 
User avatar
Irehdna
Posts: 413
Joined: Thu Dec 01, 2016 12:40 am

Re: AI to start DEL-LAX from 1 SEP

Tue May 09, 2017 6:25 pm

devmapper wrote:
I am pretty sure DEL-IAD will be on 77W. I think AI is using 2 77Ls for the 6 weekly DEL-SFO flights, that leaves 1 for the DEL-LAX flight. I think at some point AI will be moving DEL-SFO to 77W, possibly in the winter.


DEL-IAD is on the 77L. The route would already be the 2nd longest flight of AI after DEL-SFO, and it seems that DEL-IAD would be too long for a 77W. (I would imagine DEL-ORD is already pushing the 77W to the limits on a 15h45m flight)
Last edited by Irehdna on Tue May 09, 2017 6:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
 
winginit
Posts: 3049
Joined: Sat Feb 23, 2013 9:23 pm

Re: AI plans several new long hauls for 2017

Tue May 09, 2017 6:27 pm

blrsea wrote:
Does AI have interline ageement with AA? I remember someone posting earlier that AA had terminated the interline agreement with AI. Would be good for onward passengers if AI has interline agreement with AA


They do not, and it's for that reason that DFW surprises me. Yes, you've got the Indian population in DFW, but given the VFR nature of that traffic, the presence of all three of the ME3 in DFW, (two of which have interline agreements with AA) and the length of haul, I find it extremely difficult to believe that DFW could ever be profitable for AI without onward feed.
 
LAXdude1023
Posts: 6194
Joined: Thu Sep 07, 2006 3:16 pm

Re: AI plans several new long hauls for 2017

Tue May 09, 2017 6:31 pm

winginit wrote:
blrsea wrote:
Does AI have interline ageement with AA? I remember someone posting earlier that AA had terminated the interline agreement with AI. Would be good for onward passengers if AI has interline agreement with AA


They do not, and it's for that reason that DFW surprises me. Yes, you've got the Indian population in DFW, but given the VFR nature of that traffic, the presence of all three of the ME3 in DFW, (two of which have interline agreements with AA) and the length of haul, I find it extremely difficult to believe that DFW could ever be profitable for AI without onward feed.


I am surprised they didnt choose IAH for alliance ties. But at the same time, I dont find DFW completely out of the blue give the areas ties to India.
FOR THE LOVE OF GOD BRING BACK THE PAYWALL!!!!
 
lavalampluva
Posts: 1433
Joined: Tue Jun 24, 2014 7:33 pm

Re: AI plans several new long hauls for 2017

Tue May 09, 2017 6:33 pm

Not surprised about LAX. They are the JFK of the West Coast.
Remind me to send a thank you note to Mr. Boeing.
 
devmapper
Posts: 219
Joined: Mon Apr 03, 2017 10:15 pm

Re: AI plans several new long hauls for 2017

Tue May 09, 2017 6:34 pm

CaliguyNYC wrote:
American Fact Finder is not the easiest tool to use plus they define metro areas strangely - Example SF and San Jose are two metro statistical areas but for everyone else they are one big metro area. In the end, a DEL-IAH flight would also serve DFW, DAL, AUS, San Antonio etc because AI can put its code and interline with UA. That really makes it worth it. All those Indian professionals in DFW that are flying J are probably all OW and will not give up the EQMs to fly AI. UA's FF program is actually quite generous to AI. Let's see what AI really does. I still don't know what planes can handle these distances and where will AI get them.


A cursory glance indicates it groups areas by Combined Statistical Area, which does make sense to me. For example, San Francisco-Oakland is a different MSA from San Jose-Sunnyvale-Santa Clara MSA. However, the residents of the latter still use the primary gateway (SFO) of the former for international travel. Similarly, Los Angeles-Long Beach-San Bernadino is a different MSA to Anaheim-Santa Ana-Irvine MSA, but residents of the latter still use LAX as the primary international gateway. Due to increasing urbanization, I think CSAs are more representative of population centers.

I am not convinced that AI will actually end up on a DEL-Texas route. It makes more sense to have connections through IAD, ORD and SFO. If AI does get to codeshare with UA, I would think IAD would be the primary connection point for AUS, DFW, IAH, BNA, ATL, MIA and CLT, possibly even DEN and SLC.
 
winginit
Posts: 3049
Joined: Sat Feb 23, 2013 9:23 pm

Re: AI plans several new long hauls for 2017

Tue May 09, 2017 6:37 pm

devmapper wrote:
I am not convinced that AI will actually end up on a DEL-Texas route.


This. The economics simply don't work. I'll be truly stunned if an AI plane touches down in DFW or even IAH, and until that happens this is all just talk from AI.
 
User avatar
IrishAyes
Posts: 2435
Joined: Sat Jan 26, 2008 6:04 pm

Re: AI plans several new long hauls for 2017

Tue May 09, 2017 6:38 pm

winginit wrote:
blrsea wrote:
Does AI have interline ageement with AA? I remember someone posting earlier that AA had terminated the interline agreement with AI. Would be good for onward passengers if AI has interline agreement with AA


They do not, and it's for that reason that DFW surprises me. Yes, you've got the Indian population in DFW, but given the VFR nature of that traffic, the presence of all three of the ME3 in DFW, (two of which have interline agreements with AA) and the length of haul, I find it extremely difficult to believe that DFW could ever be profitable for AI without onward feed.


Since when does a route need to be profitable for Air India to want to start it?

If there's anyone that would be hurt by this route, it would be LH....
 
devmapper
Posts: 219
Joined: Mon Apr 03, 2017 10:15 pm

Re: AI to start DEL-LAX from 1 SEP

Tue May 09, 2017 6:44 pm

Irehdna wrote:
devmapper wrote:
I am pretty sure DEL-IAD will be on 77W. I think AI is using 2 77Ls for the 6 weekly DEL-SFO flights, that leaves 1 for the DEL-LAX flight. I think at some point AI will be moving DEL-SFO to 77W, possibly in the winter.


DEL-IAD is on the 77L. The route would already be the 2nd longest flight of AI after DEL-SFO, and it seems that DEL-IAD would be too long for a 77W. (I would imagine DEL-ORD is already pushing the 77W to the limits on a 15h45m flight)


Then what will AI use on the DFW flight? :) I think AI used the 77W on the SFO route very recently after they were approved on the Pacific route. I don't know however if it was weight restricted. See the flight on 5/5.
http://flightaware.com/live/flight/AIC174/history/20170508/1830Z/KSFO/VIDP
 
User avatar
Irehdna
Posts: 413
Joined: Thu Dec 01, 2016 12:40 am

Re: AI to start DEL-LAX from 1 SEP

Tue May 09, 2017 6:48 pm

devmapper wrote:
Then what will AI use on the DFW flight? :) I think AI used the 77W on the SFO route very recently after they were approved on the Pacific route. I don't know however if it was weight restricted. See the flight on 5/5.
http://flightaware.com/live/flight/AIC174/history/20170508/1830Z/KSFO/VIDP


I would imagine that was a 1-off substitution with only 77L-level of cargo and passengers. I suppose a heavily-weight restricted 77W could fly the 12402-km flight from DEL to SFO nonstop. Obviously, however, this is an extremely inefficient practice to embrace regularly.
 
voxkel
Posts: 164
Joined: Tue Nov 01, 2016 9:17 pm

Re: AI plans several new long hauls for 2017

Tue May 09, 2017 6:53 pm

At end of 2017, DEL will have nonstop to YYZ/YVR/JFK/EWR/IAD/ORD/LAX/SFO/DFW. That's nine NA destinations nonstop from India!

I find it amazing that nobody has even managed to get a BOM-JFK nonstop running, given the success of AI's DEL-NA nonstops. 9W doesn't have aircraft capable of BOM-JFK (they have consistenly delayed B789s) and it seems that AI would never start a long-haul route outside DEL these days.

Perhaps DL with the 77L could make BOM-NA (specifically BOM-JFK) work well, considering their own feed at JFK and 9W's (DL's partner's) feed at BOM.
 
devmapper
Posts: 219
Joined: Mon Apr 03, 2017 10:15 pm

Re: AI to start DEL-LAX from 1 SEP

Tue May 09, 2017 6:58 pm

Irehdna wrote:
devmapper wrote:
Then what will AI use on the DFW flight? :) I think AI used the 77W on the SFO route very recently after they were approved on the Pacific route. I don't know however if it was weight restricted. See the flight on 5/5.
http://flightaware.com/live/flight/AIC174/history/20170508/1830Z/KSFO/VIDP


I would imagine that was a 1-off substitution with only 77L-level of cargo and passengers. I suppose a heavily-weight restricted 77W could fly the 12402-km flight from DEL to SFO nonstop. Obviously, however, this is an extremely inefficient practice to embrace regularly.


EK flies DXB-IAH on 77Ws, which is longer GC route wise than DEL-LAX. I think the longest 77W route is JED-LAX on Saudia. So 77Ws certainly have the legs, I don't know if the AI 77Ws have the legs.
http://www.gcmap.com/mapui?P=del-iad/sfo/lax,+dxb-iah,+jed-lax&DU=nm
 
User avatar
Irehdna
Posts: 413
Joined: Thu Dec 01, 2016 12:40 am

Re: AI to start DEL-LAX from 1 SEP

Tue May 09, 2017 7:02 pm

devmapper wrote:
EK flies DXB-IAH on 77Ws, which is longer GC route wise than DEL-LAX. I think the longest 77W route is JED-LAX on Saudia. So 77Ws certainly have the legs, I don't know if the AI 77Ws have the legs.
http://www.gcmap.com/mapui?P=del-iad/sfo/lax,+dxb-iah,+jed-lax&DU=nm


If I recalled correctly AI has ordered the highest engine option on 77Ls, but not 77Ws. I do know that the most powerful option of 77L GE90-115Bs are slightly less rated than the most powerful option of 77W GE90-115Bs, so it is possible that AI ordered the same exact engines to be transplanted both on 77L and 77W. (I believe for a while a 77L VT-ALH served as the engine supplier for AI's 777 fleet, including 77L and 77W.)
 
dmstorm22
Posts: 623
Joined: Wed Jun 15, 2016 1:49 pm

Re: AI plans several new long hauls for 2017

Tue May 09, 2017 7:05 pm

voxkel wrote:
At end of 2017, DEL will have nonstop to YYZ/YVR/JFK/EWR/IAD/ORD/LAX/SFO/DFW. That's nine NA destinations nonstop from India!

I find it amazing that nobody has even managed to get a BOM-JFK nonstop running, given the success of AI's DEL-NA nonstops. 9W doesn't have aircraft capable of BOM-JFK (they have consistenly delayed B789s) and it seems that AI would never start a long-haul route outside DEL these days.

Perhaps DL with the 77L could make BOM-NA (specifically BOM-JFK) work well, considering their own feed at JFK and 9W's (DL's partner's) feed at BOM.


Of course, EWR supporst two daily NYC-BOM flights. Always wondered why the split by AI to have the flight to EWR be from BOM and JFK from DEL? Would have thought it would be based on spread of Indian connecting traffic (ex-BOM/ex-DEL) where more people ex-DEL are closer to JFK (Queens, Long Island) with more ex-BOM (South India) in NJ?
 
User avatar
Slash787
Posts: 951
Joined: Sat Jul 23, 2016 9:37 pm

Re: AI plans several new long hauls for 2017

Tue May 09, 2017 7:16 pm

I wish Jet Airways had taken their deliveries of 787-9, they could have provided more destinations with a better service.

I am happy AI is expanding, but man they delay flights, the service is bad.
 
devmapper
Posts: 219
Joined: Mon Apr 03, 2017 10:15 pm

Re: AI plans several new long hauls for 2017

Tue May 09, 2017 7:25 pm

Slash787 wrote:
I wish Jet Airways had taken their deliveries of 787-9, they could have provided more destinations with a better service.

I am happy AI is expanding, but man they delay flights, the service is bad.


I cannot speak for AI domestic, or even AI Europe flights, but generally the NA flights have enough slack built in for AI to reach DEL on time, and often ahead of time (thanks to tailwinds). The NA bound flights are generally on time too, considering they are often the first international flights into the airport, and especially the DEL-SFO flight has to delay taking off by nearly 2 hours in order to not reach SFO before FIS opens at 7 AM.
 
CaliguyNYC
Posts: 1247
Joined: Tue Sep 27, 2016 7:27 pm

Re: AI plans several new long hauls for 2017

Tue May 09, 2017 7:28 pm

dmstorm22 wrote:
voxkel wrote:
At end of 2017, DEL will have nonstop to YYZ/YVR/JFK/EWR/IAD/ORD/LAX/SFO/DFW. That's nine NA destinations nonstop from India!

I find it amazing that nobody has even managed to get a BOM-JFK nonstop running, given the success of AI's DEL-NA nonstops. 9W doesn't have aircraft capable of BOM-JFK (they have consistenly delayed B789s) and it seems that AI would never start a long-haul route outside DEL these days.

Perhaps DL with the 77L could make BOM-NA (specifically BOM-JFK) work well, considering their own feed at JFK and 9W's (DL's partner's) feed at BOM.


Of course, EWR supporst two daily NYC-BOM flights. Always wondered why the split by AI to have the flight to EWR be from BOM and JFK from DEL? Would have thought it would be based on spread of Indian connecting traffic (ex-BOM/ex-DEL) where more people ex-DEL are closer to JFK (Queens, Long Island) with more ex-BOM (South India) in NJ?


Yes JFK mostly has Indians from the North while EWR has much more BOM & Gujarat origin. That said, EWR just has much more Indians from everywhere while JFK has old time immigrants and Indians from the Caribbean. JFK-Inida needs a flight (JFk, LHR just have a ton of history and people view them as the airport to use), which is why AI kept it (plus their staff is very Quenns focused). While I really want 9W or DL to start BOM-JFK, I think 9W/DL are committed to making US-EU-India work by allocating cheap seats to the transatlantic portion of the US-EU-India journey. So they will provide one-stop service to India from many cities. After BOM, DEL, MAA and BLR; I can see HYD launched. This would basically allow them to grab a big chunk of the premium traffic from US-India. Add AI, UA/LH and BA/AA and you start to really put pressure on the ME3.
 
ryder1650
Posts: 22
Joined: Tue Oct 18, 2016 8:50 pm

Re: AI plans several new long hauls for 2017

Tue May 09, 2017 8:00 pm

devmapper wrote:

I cannot speak for AI domestic, or even AI Europe flights, but generally the NA flights have enough slack built in for AI to reach DEL on time, and often ahead of time (thanks to tailwinds). The NA bound flights are generally on time too, considering they are often the first international flights into the airport, and especially the DEL-SFO flight has to delay taking off by nearly 2 hours in order to not reach SFO before FIS opens at 7 AM.


SFO FIS opens at 6AM.
 
User avatar
Slash787
Posts: 951
Joined: Sat Jul 23, 2016 9:37 pm

Re: AI plans several new long hauls for 2017

Tue May 09, 2017 8:20 pm

devmapper wrote:
Slash787 wrote:
I wish Jet Airways had taken their deliveries of 787-9, they could have provided more destinations with a better service.

I am happy AI is expanding, but man they delay flights, the service is bad.


I cannot speak for AI domestic, or even AI Europe flights, but generally the NA flights have enough slack built in for AI to reach DEL on time, and often ahead of time (thanks to tailwinds). The NA bound flights are generally on time too, considering they are often the first international flights into the airport, and especially the DEL-SFO flight has to delay taking off by nearly 2 hours in order to not reach SFO before FIS opens at 7 AM.


Well I have flown on AI on quite a few Domestic and International flights and they have always been delayed, my only reason to book them was the price offers which were going on that time, they were really amazing deals in terms on price.

I had a flight from DEL to HKG and it was delayed for 5 hours, many people had onward connections and they missed it.

My flight from DEL to SIG was also delayed by 3 hours

I have flown on the BOM/DEL sector like 4 times with AI and they have always been delayed by 3 to 4 hours. Once we had to wait for 2 hours to get our bags.

I have flown on other airlines too and its not absurd like this thats why I wish Jet Airways had taken their deliveries of 787-9
 
subramak1
Posts: 196
Joined: Tue Aug 09, 2016 10:21 pm

Re: AI plans several new long hauls for 2017

Tue May 09, 2017 8:23 pm

Are they far along their plans to get B789. If yes, then DEl DFW and DEL LAX can be done using 789. In a likely AI config, they will have 24 business class seats and may be 270-280 economy seats

Would be a winner. I would like for AI to increase their business class seats if they operate B788s to NA.

Subu
 
TC957
Posts: 3870
Joined: Wed May 23, 2012 1:12 pm

Re: AI plans several new long hauls for 2017

Tue May 09, 2017 8:26 pm

When are AI due to take their 3 extra 77's that seem to have been on order for many many years now ?
 
devmapper
Posts: 219
Joined: Mon Apr 03, 2017 10:15 pm

Re: AI plans several new long hauls for 2017

Tue May 09, 2017 8:28 pm

ryder1650 wrote:
SFO FIS opens at 6AM.


I stand corrected.
 
yycdel
Posts: 145
Joined: Sun Nov 23, 2014 11:14 pm

Re: AI plans several new long hauls for 2017

Tue May 09, 2017 8:36 pm

Are they still looking at YYZ?
 
devmapper
Posts: 219
Joined: Mon Apr 03, 2017 10:15 pm

Re: AI plans several new long hauls for 2017

Tue May 09, 2017 8:41 pm

subramak1 wrote:
Are they far along their plans to get B789. If yes, then DEl DFW and DEL LAX can be done using 789. In a likely AI config, they will have 24 business class seats and may be 270-280 economy seats

Would be a winner. I would like for AI to increase their business class seats if they operate B788s to NA.

Subu


Irehdna wrote:
DEL-IAD is on the 77L. The route would already be the 2nd longest flight of AI after DEL-SFO, and it seems that DEL-IAD would be too long for a 77W. (I would imagine DEL-ORD is already pushing the 77W to the limits on a 15h45m flight)


The 789 has a published range of 7635nm and the 77W has a range of 7370nm. Even if AI manages to avoid headwinds, it has to take a detour towards KBL to avoid the Himalayas. GCMap shows a DEL-KBL-DFW routing at 7225nm, which is uncomfortably close to the maximum range possible for both aircraft. IAH is further still. Any possible AI DEL-Texas flight has to be on the 77L.
 
devmapper
Posts: 219
Joined: Mon Apr 03, 2017 10:15 pm

Re: AI plans several new long hauls for 2017

Tue May 09, 2017 8:54 pm

yycdel wrote:
Are they still looking at YYZ?


Ashwin Lohani has talked quite often about both YYZ and YVR, but any talk of Canadian destinations has died down. I think AI will continue to codeshare (interline?) on the AC flight from YYZ. YVR has a sizable Indian diaspora, but I am not convinced that many would fly AI, since the diaspora has been historically distrustful of India (see AI 182).
 
globalcabotage
Posts: 534
Joined: Wed Nov 25, 2009 10:42 pm

Re: AI plans several new long hauls for 2017

Tue May 09, 2017 10:20 pm

LAXdude1023 wrote:
wilcal wrote:
LAXdude1023 wrote:

Ill be honest, I would have expected IAH first simply because of the Star Hub and nothing else.

DFW has a larger and much faster growing Indian community and the business ties that DFW has with India are growing exponentially. If you spend time in a place like Irving or Plano, its pretty overwhelming. Its not New Jersey or the Silicon Valley, but its about on par with places in the Chicago area.

Houston has Sugar Land, Missouri City, and Stafford which have very large Indian communities and the Westchase area has a ton of Indian businesses, but its got nothing on the suburbs north of Dallas.


I completely agree because of the Star Hub connectivity.

I'm intrigued about Dallas having that many more Indians than Houston. It's hard to find numbers on this. This article from 2015 pegs the Houston number at 150,000. http://blogs.economictimes.indiatimes.c ... -in-texas/

2010 Census had the DFW metro at 107,000. Surely they're more comparable than Houston not being close to Dallas?


The Census numbers from 2015 tell a different story (source American Factfinder (an arm of the census):

DFW number of Indians: 162,098
Houston number of Indians: 124,259

Also, per numbers from DHS, Dallas is gaining quite a few more Indian immigrants.


I will be pleasantly surprised if AA comes to DFW. The Indian population in Frisco, Plano, Irving, and southern Denton County is booming (along with 1,000s of other people). Service would have to start late in the year as all of my Indian friends and co-workers already purchased tickets on the ME3 for summer and early fall travel.

Surprised AI is not looking at ORD-BOM given where the Chicago population is from. Although, DFW is tilted towards BOM as well.
 
User avatar
Irehdna
Posts: 413
Joined: Thu Dec 01, 2016 12:40 am

Re: AI plans several new long hauls for 2017

Tue May 09, 2017 10:51 pm

globalcabotage wrote:
I will be pleasantly surprised if AA comes to DFW.


I think you mean AI, AA already has a large hub there ;)

globalcabotage wrote:
Surprised AI is not looking at ORD-BOM given where the Chicago population is from. Although, DFW is tilted towards BOM as well.


Yeah, DFW does seem to be a stretch for AI. FWIK it is a lower-yielding, VFR market right now, and true business ties with India are not fully developed.

Though to be fair, the fact that AI can still flies nonstop to EWR is surprising, considering that they are competing with UA, and Newark/NJ has far less business traffic & yield than Chicago, San Francisco, and especially New York. Newark is probably an even lower-yielding market than Dallas, but Dallas is farther from India than Newark.

I don't see AI starting ORD-BOM or DFW-BOM. I do know EWR-BOM has high VFR traffic, but very few business passengers compared to AI's other long-haul routes. (Perhaps the lack of ME3 at EWR has kept the route alive?) The fact of the matter is that AI essentially de-hubbed BOM in 2010, and their network at BOM is nothing like what they have in DEL. What needs to be realised is that many people take AI to DEL and then transfer to a flight to a smaller city (PNQ, ATQ, and the like), since AI is their only 1-stop option.

Additionally, ORD-BOM and DFW-BOM are both longer than any of the DEL-USA flights AI is proposing. Combine that with the fact that BOM overflies 2/3 of India and their DEL hub, and any hope of a new BOM-USA flight by AI is highly unlikely.
 
globalcabotage
Posts: 534
Joined: Wed Nov 25, 2009 10:42 pm

Re: AI plans several new long hauls for 2017

Tue May 09, 2017 10:58 pm

Irehdna wrote:
globalcabotage wrote:
I will be pleasantly surprised if AA comes to DFW.


I think you mean AI, AA already has a large hub there ;)

globalcabotage wrote:
Surprised AI is not looking at ORD-BOM given where the Chicago population is from. Although, DFW is tilted towards BOM as well.


Yeah, DFW does seem to be a stretch for AI. FWIK it is a lower-yielding, VFR market right now, and true business ties with India are not fully developed.

Though to be fair, the fact that AI can still flies nonstop to EWR is surprising, considering that they are competing with UA, and Newark/NJ has far less business traffic & yield than Chicago, San Francisco, and especially New York. Newark is probably an even lower-yielding market than Dallas, but Dallas is farther from India than Newark.

I don't see AI starting ORD-BOM or DFW-BOM. I do know EWR-BOM has high VFR traffic, but very few business passengers compared to AI's other long-haul routes. (Perhaps the lack of ME3 at EWR has kept the route alive?) The fact of the matter is that AI essentially de-hubbed BOM in 2010, and their network at BOM is nothing like what they have in DEL. What needs to be realised is that many people take AI to DEL and then transfer to a flight to a smaller city (PNQ, ATQ, and the like), since AI is their only 1-stop option.

Additionally, ORD-BOM and DFW-BOM are both longer than any of the DEL-USA flights AI is proposing. Combine that with the fact that BOM overflies 2/3 of India and their DEL hub, and any hope of a new BOM-USA flight by AI is highly unlikely.


You are correct, I meant AI. Living in Dallas and being platinum on AA, I usually type AA.

Good point about traffic patterns and going via DEL.
 
TigerFlyer
Posts: 217
Joined: Tue Apr 25, 2017 7:51 pm

Re: AI plans several new long hauls for 2017

Tue May 09, 2017 11:14 pm

The backstory on this is that Air India is one of the worst run airlines in the world. In a competitive marketplace they would long since have ceased flying. They remain alive because of massive government subsidies. And they are able to acquire new aircraft because of ExIm financing at below market rates. No private lender would consider them period. Consequently AI is adding new flights and US carriers have withdrawn from the market.
 
anshabhi
Posts: 2258
Joined: Thu Oct 20, 2016 10:40 am

Re: AI plans several new long hauls for 2017

Tue May 09, 2017 11:57 pm

TigerFlyer wrote:
The backstory on this is that Air India is one of the worst run airlines in the world. In a competitive marketplace they would long since have ceased flying. They remain alive because of massive government subsidies. And they are able to acquire new aircraft because of ExIm financing at below market rates. No private lender would consider them period. Consequently AI is adding new flights and US carriers have withdrawn from the market.


LOL! Be content with whatever our national carrier is doing.

You know, US3 never intent to serve any ME destinations. That's not the case with India however.
 
dtw2hyd
Posts: 8465
Joined: Wed Jan 09, 2013 12:11 pm

Re: AI plans several new long hauls for 2017

Wed May 10, 2017 12:07 am

devmapper wrote:
dtw2hyd wrote:
If you read between lines by UA apologists, AI is always welcome to place its codes on UA operated flights, but UA will never have a broad code share agreement with AI.

LH and unions are two major culprits.

What do the UA unions have against AI?


As a policy US/EU unions don't want their airlines to partner with any airline with low labor cost base.

One day TATL JVs will be useless because other LCCs like DY will capture that market, Chinese would have well settled with non-stops, then American Inc realizes they have to capture Indian market. Too little too late. This is not just aviation, every sector we are repeating same pattern expecting different results.
All posts are just opinions.
 
devmapper
Posts: 219
Joined: Mon Apr 03, 2017 10:15 pm

Re: AI plans several new long hauls for 2017

Wed May 10, 2017 12:31 am

TC957 wrote:
When are AI due to take their 3 extra 77's that seem to have been on order for many many years now ?

I think they were supposed to take delivery of all 7 remaining Boeing widebodies this year.
 
dtw2hyd
Posts: 8465
Joined: Wed Jan 09, 2013 12:11 pm

Re: AI plans several new long hauls for 2017

Wed May 10, 2017 12:42 am

TigerFlyer wrote:
The backstory on this is that Air India is one of the worst run airlines in the world. In a competitive marketplace they would long since have ceased flying. They remain alive because of massive government subsidies. And they are able to acquire new aircraft because of ExIm financing at below market rates. No private lender would consider them period. Consequently AI is adding new flights and US carriers have withdrawn from the market.



Not one sentence you wrote is true.

Delta sued Air India/EXIM in federal district court, lost it, lost on appeal as well. They are not even sovereign guaranteed by Indian government.

Close to 60 AI narrow bodies and 15xB777s are financed from global financiers, because India has no aviation financier or leasing company. First few were EXIM guaranteed, but AI has to get a bridge loans while EXIM approves the finance. EXIM was in shambles later, and AI continued bridge loans and SLB cycle.

AI's 23xB787s/2xB744s are leased from Investec of UK and DVB of Germany.
There were fourteen responses to 14xA320NEO lease RFP, AFALCO won the contract,
Bank of China is the lessor for 5xA320SLs.
Avation PLC is the lessor for first batch of 8xATR72s
Dubai Aviation is lessor for next batch of 10 x ATR72s

There is not a shred of evidence to prove your statement, but this is a.net, you have enough support.
All posts are just opinions.
 
User avatar
BawliBooch
Posts: 1514
Joined: Mon Nov 28, 2016 4:24 am

Re: AI plans several new long hauls for 2017

Wed May 10, 2017 1:30 am

A self-promoting Facebook post is becoming the basis for a whole thread on ANET?

How the standards are falling!
Mr.Kapoor's favorite poodle!
 
devmapper
Posts: 219
Joined: Mon Apr 03, 2017 10:15 pm

Re: AI plans several new long hauls for 2017

Wed May 10, 2017 1:59 am

BawliBooch wrote:
A self-promoting Facebook post is becoming the basis for a whole thread on ANET?

How the standards are falling!

Which has been subsequently taken down!!! :shock: :o

Is it possible Ashwin Lohani was on a bender before going and posting something on Facebook?? Not that I am implying anything... :oops: :crazy:
 
User avatar
KTPAFlyer
Posts: 764
Joined: Sat Oct 10, 2015 8:08 pm

Re: AI plans several new long hauls for 2017

Wed May 10, 2017 2:02 am

It's not out of the realm of possibility to see AI at IAH, the fact that Etihad doesn't fly there leaves just enough room for AI to squeeze into the market and make something work with the UA hub on top of a decent sized Indian community. But DFW? Are you kidding me? DFW is the mother of all AA hubs and two of the ME3 are already eating EK alive, let alone AI! You can't just fly into a fortress hub like that even if a large community is there, that's just not enough, and DFW is one of the few airports with all the ME3 carriers and QR and EY's stranglehold combined with AA's monopoly is ridiculous to even think about competing against. Yeah, maybe AI's bookings have doubled after the laptop ban, but keep in mind that EK was forced to downgauge DFW way before that was ever a thing. The competitive pressure in this market is extremely difficult if you're not on AA's side and like others have said, I would be amazed to see AI actually touch down in DFW and I suspect this will turn out like the QR LAS situation, I think AAB has been spending too much time in India and it has started to rub off on AI management. :D
 
blrsea
Posts: 1950
Joined: Fri May 20, 2005 2:22 am

Re: AI plans several new long hauls for 2017

Wed May 10, 2017 2:08 am

devmapper wrote:
BawliBooch wrote:
A self-promoting Facebook post is becoming the basis for a whole thread on ANET?

How the standards are falling!

Which has been subsequently taken down!!! :shock: :o

Is it possible Ashwin Lohani was on a bender before going and posting something on Facebook?? Not that I am implying anything... :oops: :crazy:


The story has been picked up by PTI and is in other newspapers like Financial Express etc.
 
anshabhi
Posts: 2258
Joined: Thu Oct 20, 2016 10:40 am

Re: AI plans several new long hauls for 2017

Wed May 10, 2017 2:21 am

devmapper wrote:
Which has been subsequently taken down!!! :shock: :o

Is it possible Ashwin Lohani was on a bender before going and posting something on Facebook?? Not that I am implying anything... :oops: :crazy:

It is still there.

https://facebook.com/story.php?story_fb ... =517210282
 
User avatar
unrave
Posts: 2682
Joined: Tue Jan 06, 2015 6:37 am

Re: AI plans several new long hauls for 2017

Wed May 10, 2017 5:57 am

That link never worked for me.
17April2019: RIP Jet Airways
 
TheAirbusBoy
Posts: 6
Joined: Fri Jun 20, 2014 2:12 pm

Re: AI plans several new long hauls for 2017

Wed May 10, 2017 7:50 am

Would love to see AI here in Kenya! Any thoughts on the aircraft AI could possibly use for NBO considering KQ using their 738s?
 
anshabhi
Posts: 2258
Joined: Thu Oct 20, 2016 10:40 am

Re: AI plans several new long hauls for 2017

Wed May 10, 2017 7:52 am

oh alright!
that one's working on mobile devices only. try this:
https://www.facebook.com/ashwani.lohani ... 8820660283
 
devmapper
Posts: 219
Joined: Mon Apr 03, 2017 10:15 pm

Re: AI plans several new long hauls for 2017

Wed May 10, 2017 8:29 am

blrsea wrote:
devmapper wrote:
BawliBooch wrote:
A self-promoting Facebook post is becoming the basis for a whole thread on ANET?

How the standards are falling!

Which has been subsequently taken down!!! :shock: :o

Is it possible Ashwin Lohani was on a bender before going and posting something on Facebook?? Not that I am implying anything... :oops: :crazy:


The story has been picked up by PTI and is in other newspapers like Financial Express etc.

Yes, but as anshabhi pointed out, the original posted link doesn't work except on mobile devices. So there was no way of determining the veracity of the articles, which themselves pointed towards the statements of Mr. Lohani.
 
VTORD
Posts: 748
Joined: Sat Dec 22, 2012 9:45 pm

Re: AI plans several new long hauls for 2017

Wed May 10, 2017 1:20 pm

blrsea wrote:

The story has been picked up by PTI and is in other newspapers like Financial Express etc.


Remember the time when PTI also photoshopped Narendra Modi reviewing the floods from an aircraft (in TN I think....)?
 
blrsea
Posts: 1950
Joined: Fri May 20, 2005 2:22 am

Re: AI plans several new long hauls for 2017

Wed May 10, 2017 1:54 pm

Well, the AI CEO has also replied to some of the comments in his facebook page. Would have been good if he had used AI page to announce the details instead of his personal page. Anyway, it could either be based on current plans at AI or maybe he is just floating a balloon for some other reason!
 
YouGeeElWhy
Posts: 491
Joined: Sat Feb 01, 2014 3:42 pm

Re: AI plans several new long hauls for 2017

Wed May 10, 2017 2:18 pm

KTPAFlyer wrote:
make something work with the UA hub on top of a decent sized Indian community. But DFW? Are you kidding me? DFW is the mother of all AA hubs and two of the ME3 are already eating EK alive, let alone AI!
You cannot think about AI's plan in terms of an American, but rather an Indian. No Visa issues when IIROPS happen in other transiting countries. No laptop ban, so an Indian needing to work before a meeting or whatever in the US can do so. As someone above pointed out people are more comfortable sending their parents on AI to the US.

With that said AI needs only fly to where Indians are flying to, connections in the US do not matter for AI. If the 787-9 is as dense as their 787-8 then they will have a huge CASM advantage over everyone else at DFW providing connections to India. A price war is coming.

Also, UA is doing the bare minimum for getting AI connections, which are uncompetitive for AI price wise to secondary US markets like DEL-DSM/SMF/CLE/RDU. Going further south to IAH for connections is going to get AI much more that they could not already get from SFO/ORD/EWR.

Personally, I'd avoid AI due to their underwhelming J and connecting to a narrowbody to other cities in India is a nonstarter for me too, but I get the appeal of AI to Indians. I wish them luck.
 
CaliguyNYC
Posts: 1247
Joined: Tue Sep 27, 2016 7:27 pm

Re: AI plans several new long hauls for 2017

Wed May 10, 2017 4:18 pm

YouGeeElWhy wrote:
KTPAFlyer wrote:
make something work with the UA hub on top of a decent sized Indian community. But DFW? Are you kidding me? DFW is the mother of all AA hubs and two of the ME3 are already eating EK alive, let alone AI!
You cannot think about AI's plan in terms of an American, but rather an Indian. No Visa issues when IIROPS happen in other transiting countries. No laptop ban, so an Indian needing to work before a meeting or whatever in the US can do so. As someone above pointed out people are more comfortable sending their parents on AI to the US.

With that said AI needs only fly to where Indians are flying to, connections in the US do not matter for AI. If the 787-9 is as dense as their 787-8 then they will have a huge CASM advantage over everyone else at DFW providing connections to India. A price war is coming.

Also, UA is doing the bare minimum for getting AI connections, which are uncompetitive for AI price wise to secondary US markets like DEL-DSM/SMF/CLE/RDU. Going further south to IAH for connections is going to get AI much more that they could not already get from SFO/ORD/EWR.

Personally, I'd avoid AI due to their underwhelming J and connecting to a narrowbody to other cities in India is a nonstarter for me too, but I get the appeal of AI to Indians. I wish them luck.


Well its also big pool of Star FF in IAH even with no connections. I just feel AI needs pax on both ends to make a ULH route work. But I hear your point. KE flies into many non sky team cities in the US. So why can't Ai if the DFW-DEL traffic is just that much more (and they probably have numbers of current connecting pax to DFW). As far as AI J, I am fine traveling in it for $2500-$2750 NYC-BOM when the next cheapest is $4k. I've flown worse airlines in Long Haul J like Air Europa, China Eastern, Aeroflot.
 
dtw2hyd
Posts: 8465
Joined: Wed Jan 09, 2013 12:11 pm

Re: AI plans several new long hauls for 2017

Wed May 10, 2017 4:27 pm

YouGeeElWhy wrote:
Personally, I'd avoid AI due to their underwhelming J and connecting to a narrowbody to other cities in India is a nonstarter for me too, but I get the appeal of AI to Indians. I wish them luck.


For passengers between secondary cities both in US and India, you have two choices, US regional and Indian domestic.NBs. Indian domestic NBs are far superior. I avoid US regional, particularly to connect outbound international travel. You don't want to waste 2-3 days out of your 3 week vacation, just because Jungle Jet decided not to fly and nothing is available to next two days.
All posts are just opinions.
 
YouGeeElWhy
Posts: 491
Joined: Sat Feb 01, 2014 3:42 pm

Re: AI plans several new long hauls for 2017

Wed May 10, 2017 4:51 pm

dtw2hyd wrote:
YouGeeElWhy wrote:
Personally, as an American flying from a major US city to cities in India that are not Mumbai or Delhi, I'd avoid AI due to their underwhelming J and connecting to a narrowbody to other cities in India is a nonstarter for me too, but I get the appeal of AI to Indians. I wish them luck.


For passengers between secondary cities both in US and India, you have two choices, US regional and Indian domestic.NBs. Indian domestic NBs are far superior. I avoid US regional, particularly to connect outbound international travel. You don't want to waste 2-3 days out of your 3 week vacation, just because Jungle Jet decided not to fly and nothing is available to next two days.
Lol, qualified my comment.

I'd argue, as per most Americans with our hard-drinking Irish/English DNA, that the front of the plane on US domestic narrowbodies is better than AI since they do not serve booze on domestic flights. Meals I've had on domestic Indian flights in the front of the plane have been pretty bad too. Not that US3 are doing any better excluding Delta which does a pretty good job with their domestic first meals. AI has no wifi on domestic flights, which I understand might change this year, but I will believe it when I see it.
 
CaliguyNYC
Posts: 1247
Joined: Tue Sep 27, 2016 7:27 pm

Re: AI plans several new long hauls for 2017

Wed May 10, 2017 5:08 pm

I think after a 16 hour flight form the US the 2 hour domestic Indian flight on a 737 or A320 doesn't bother most people especially since food is served. Also AI offers wide body international connectors to BOM & HYD at a min. I think the main advantage is the AI flights arrive the US early than the EU flights (7am vs 10:30am) and when going to India you can usually arrive at the secondary town by 7/8pm which is a pleasure to 11pm or overnight at DEL and then 8am the next morning.
 
hayzel777
Posts: 638
Joined: Wed Mar 16, 2016 3:18 am

Re: AI plans several new long hauls for 2017

Wed May 10, 2017 5:32 pm

Why would this "Ashwani Lobani" use his personal page instead of the official Air India page to announce this? Very unprofessional.

VTORD wrote:
blrsea wrote:

The story has been picked up by PTI and is in other newspapers like Financial Express etc.


Remember the time when PTI also photoshopped Narendra Modi reviewing the floods from an aircraft (in TN I think....)?

I think that was PIB, not PTI.

http://blogs.timesofindia.indiatimes.co ... d-chennai/
 
YouGeeElWhy
Posts: 491
Joined: Sat Feb 01, 2014 3:42 pm

Re: AI plans several new long hauls for 2017

Wed May 10, 2017 6:12 pm

CaliguyNYC wrote:
I think after a 16 hour flight form the US the 2 hour domestic Indian flight on a 737 or A320 doesn't bother most people especially since food is served. Also AI offers wide body international connectors to BOM & HYD at a min. I think the main advantage is the AI flights arrive the US early than the EU flights (7am vs 10:30am) and when going to India you can usually arrive at the secondary town by 7/8pm which is a pleasure to 11pm or overnight at DEL and then 8am the next morning.
Agian good for Indians traveling to the US, not great for people in the US traveling to India.
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
  • 8

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos