Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

AirbusMDCFAN
Topic Author

Spicejet mulls possible widebody aircraft order

Wed May 10, 2017 10:54 pm

Partial free/Partial subscription required Link/Source: http://atwonline.com/airframes/spicejet ... 95c404dab0

"India’s SpiceJet is still weighing whether to become the latest low-cost carrier to enter the long-haul market with widebody aircraft, an airline executive said".

Wasn't Spicejet grounded at 1 time for unpaid fuel bills, and had aircraft repossessed?

Aside from Jet Airways, Air India is there enough room for Spice jet to grab a slice on the long haul pie and , how profitable is long haul flying from India

anshabhi

Re: Spicejet mulls possible widebody aircraft order

Thu May 11, 2017 12:10 am

they have already signed options for 50 B787.
50% of entire ME business is the potential in India's long haul market.

ikolkyo

Thu May 11, 2017 12:15 am

Man what a turn around. at one point we were questioning if this airline would be around for much longer. I could see Spicejet being similar to WestJet here and going the 787 route.

BawliBooch

Thu May 11, 2017 1:08 am

AirbusMDCFAN wrote:
Wasn't Spicejet grounded at 1 time for unpaid fuel bills, and had aircraft repossessed?

Aside from Jet Airways, Air India is there enough room for Spice jet to grab a slice on the long haul pie and , how profitable is long haul flying from India

Spicejet wasnt doing all that bad. No worse than any of the other Indian carriers at the time struggling with enormous fuel bills. For some reason State Owned Fuel companies put them on cash-and-carry basis for fuel, even though the line of credit allowed them upto 6 months, and they were not really behind on any payments. Why the state-owned companies only chose SpiceJet for this treatment and not other carriers remains a mystery. The hold was withdrawn once the original owners, the Maran's, sold their stake to Ajai Singh.

AirbusMDCFAN wrote:

The Indian market is growing rapidly. There is enough traffic for a new player. Is the infrastructure enough? Now that is another story.
Mr.Kapoor's favorite poodle!

lightsaber

Thu May 11, 2017 1:19 am

BawliBooch wrote:
AirbusMDCFAN wrote:

Spicejet wasnt doing all that bad. No worse than any of the other Indian carriers at the time struggling with enormous fuel bills. For some reason State Owned Fuel companies put them on cash-and-carry basis for fuel, even though the line of credit allowed them upto 6 months, and they were not really behind on any payments. Why the state-owned companies only chose SpiceJet for this treatment and not other carriers remains a mystery. The hold was withdrawn once the original owners, the Maran's, sold their stake to Ajai Singh.

AirbusMDCFAN wrote:

The Indian market is growing rapidly. There is enough traffic for a new player. Is the infrastructure enough? Now that is another story.

The ME3 are ripe for bypass. In particular if a new entrant is wise enough to use international to international connections.

Lightsaber
IM messages to mods on warnings and bans will be ignored and nasty ones will result in a ban.

anshabhi

Thu May 11, 2017 3:18 am

BawliBooch wrote:
AirbusMDCFAN wrote:

Lol!! I heard that for the first time.

This is a detailed article about what all changed at SG with new CEO. And no, your allegations don't find any place there.
http://www.forbesindia.com/article/boar ... ff/41329/1

More details about SG's low cost long haul plans: http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/busi ... 588493.cms

anshabhi

Thu May 11, 2017 5:48 am

ME3 and others have a real reason to worry here as SG is planning ₹25000 ($390)return fare to western Europe. On normal days, the lowest fares are above ₹35000 ($550).

wolfsburg

Thu May 11, 2017 5:48 am

Somehow I feel that AirAsiaX India will probably has higher chance to success than them as AAX has the recipe.

chiki

Thu May 11, 2017 6:10 am

anshabhi wrote:
ME3 and others have a real reason to worry here as SG is planning ₹25000 ($390)return fare to western Europe. On normal days, the lowest fares are above ₹35000 ($550).

I think we are seeing the longhaul LCC taking over from the ME3 which means they will have to change their models to keep up.

BawliBooch

Thu May 11, 2017 8:23 am

anshabhi wrote:
Lol!! I heard that for the first time.

There are lot of things you will hear for the first time as you grow older.

Google to see Ajai Singh's past history as well as news articles in the transition phase when SpiceJet was being denied fuel by state owned oil-cos. The same companies agreed to supply fuel once mr.Singh took over Maran's shares.

Anyways, wrt SpiceJet's international plans, lets wait to see how many of the 787's they "ordered" come on property. Their Q400 ops are a mess as of now. They need to sort that out first.

Spiderguy252

Thu May 11, 2017 8:28 am

BawliBooch wrote:
Anyways, wrt SpiceJet's international plans, lets wait to see how many of the 787's they "ordered" come on property. Their Q400 ops are a mess as of now. They need to sort that out first.

Elaborate? They seem rather stable in the South at least.
Vahroone

blrsea

Thu May 11, 2017 8:34 am

There is no denying that the Marans messed up the airline. Spicejet also was facing lots of heat from their aircraft lessors and few of them were also taken over by lessors. 6E had lots of debt and even their employees weren't paid for few months. To blame everything on state run fuel companies is not right. And also, it happened during end of the previous govt rule, not after NDA-II took over, else that too would have been blamed on them.

Of course, all the allegations started surfacing once the airlines was starting to get back on its legs. At one time, it looked like 6E would be the next Kingfisher, thankfully it didn't come to that. One should remember that by that time the govt had already allowed 49% foreign ownership in the airlines industry (to save 9W at that time), but not many evinced interest in 6E. Tells a lot about the state of it at that time.

BawliBooch

Thu May 11, 2017 8:44 am

blrsea wrote:
To blame everything on state run fuel companies is not right. And also, it happened during end of the previous govt rule, not after NDA-II took over, else that too would have been blamed on them.

Incorrect. SpiceJet groundings happened in Dec 2014 - few months after NDA-II took over.
url=http://www.financialexpress.com/industry/more-trouble-for-spicejet-flights-delayed-after-being-denied-fuel-at-several-stations-on-tuesday-morning/19622/]Most Spicejet flights cancelled till late afternoon on Tuesday; Airline denied fuel uplift[/url]

Spiderguy252 wrote:

Unusual number of incidents affecting their Dash8 fleet. They also seem to be sending their Q400 aircraft to some East European country for months on end at regular intervals.

unrave

Thu May 11, 2017 9:10 am

blrsea wrote:
6E had lots of debt and even their employees weren't paid for few months.

I am pretty sure this wasn't true. Have you used 6E in place of SG everywhere in that comment?
17April2019: RIP Jet Airways

blrsea

Thu May 11, 2017 9:10 am

You are right, groundings started happening from Dec 2014, but at that time, 6E had more than Rs 200 crore unpaid bills with AAI, and it had not paid its staff salaries for 2-3 months prior that.

Also, article from June 2014 stating how 6E is floundering, with more than Rs 1000 crore losses and having been forced to cannibalize aircraft parts as it had no money to pay for spares!

Not to mention its own auditor doubted 6E's ability to continue as a viable entity in its 2014 annual report, one of the very few times that auditors have mentioned that for company of that size!

In 2014, 6E was almost on the verge of collapse. Multiple lessors had filed cases asking for aircraft to be taken back. It had not paid salaries, not paid AAI for airside fee or for fuel. In fact, if I remember right, the govt extended credit 2-3 times for 6E.

parapente

Thu May 11, 2017 9:13 am

If Indian LCC's take on ME3's with direct flights you will see the mother of all price wars!
How the legacy airline will survive God only knows!

anshabhi

Thu May 11, 2017 10:04 am

fact-
SpiceJet resumes flights after fuel supplies restored
(18 December 2014)
http://www.livemint.com/Companies/ppT6A ... upply.html

Ajay Singh re-boards SpiceJet with Rs 1,500-cr deal; Marans out
(January 15, 2015)
http://www.financialexpress.com/industr ... ngh/30401/

There was a 1 month gap between both the events and in December it was not even known that Ajay Singh would be coming back.

blrsea wrote:
Of course, all the allegations started surfacing once the airlines was starting to get back on its legs.

:checkmark:

unrave

Thu May 11, 2017 10:11 am

@anshabhi: No, that's not how the events transpired. SG had almost reached a point of no return and only when Ajai Singh worked behind the scenes did the oil companies agree to start supplying fuel again.

anshabhi

Thu May 11, 2017 10:56 am

even if he used his BJP contacts, I don't think anyone should feel sad about SG's revival.

Anyways, let's talk about the possible routes for SG. BOM-MAN would be the perfect inaugural route for me.

CaliguyNYC

Thu May 11, 2017 1:47 pm

Look I think under the old government many airlines felt the way to success was lobbying the government to somehow favor them and hurt other airlines or AI. Under the current government, it seems like the prime focus is on operating a good airline (I am not naive to the way India functions hence the word "prime" and not "total"). Anyway, with lower prices and the government meddling less, Indian aviation seems to be on the right track. If only the stupid ATF taxes would be reduced, India could see even more connectivity. Low Cost LCCs are tough in markets that don't have high fare airlines. Do we really think SG can "discount" AI and still make a profit? Even Jet is pretty cheap in Y. Also routes like DEL-China failed with a 737, how will a 787 help? I think Indian carriers can only fly long haul to areas with J demand as Y is always cheap

vadodara

Thu May 11, 2017 5:04 pm

AirbusMDCFAN wrote:

Plenty of point to point options.

Norwegian's success hasn't gone unnoticed. If they don't over-expand, they have good potential to succeed. In addition, ME3 are being hit by protectionism in N. America/W. Europe. SG won't have that issue since the growth is being driven from the Indian market.

In fact, Indigo and its A321's NEO will be the game changer here. Let them shake-out the operational hiccup's. They will be ready with a slate of flights to Europe/S.E. Asia.

Mumrik

Thu May 25, 2017 4:02 pm

Seems as things are moving forward with SG starting long haul flights to Europe. According to this ch-aviation article they will lease two 787-8 for flights to the UK with service start as soon as this winter.

Wonder where these frames will come from?

https://www.ch-aviation.com/portal/news ... haul-debut
Aircraft enthusiast and model custom maker

devmapper

Thu May 25, 2017 4:17 pm

Quick question, does anyone know what the slot situation is at BOM and LHR? I'd have thought BOM was pretty bad w.r.t. slots. Also, I don't really think SG would be able to afford cheap fares after paying for a slot in LHR. Perhaps LGW or STN?

9W is starting 3rd daily BOM-LHR, which I think is a possible hedge against SG starting BOM-LHR flights.

unrave

Thu May 25, 2017 4:22 pm

BOM: Slots are extremely constrained and the airport operator has not offered any new slot for domestic narrow body flights in the last 2-3 seasons. They might look at a widebody international connection more favourably though. Personally I don't think it makes much sense for SG to pay for a LHR slot. They will be better off serving LGW.

TC957

Thu May 25, 2017 5:44 pm

Who said SC will operate into LHR ? I think it'll either be LGW or MAN.

flybhx764

Thu May 25, 2017 6:03 pm

787 all economy seats. 300 to 350 pax layout. Uk airport are heathrow and Birmingham. Indian airports to be confirmed

dtw2hyd

Thu May 25, 2017 6:15 pm

LHR and BHX, very unlikely.

Just for comparison DEL airport charges for a WB are 230% of DXB. BOM slightly lower.

SG doesn't have money to buy slots at LHR and BHX is also very expensive airport.

There is no clear information on ATF surcharge on international flights from India, some say there is no surcharge on int. flights others say it depends on payment type, ie., if you pay in local currency you pay 40% surcharge??? Why can't they buy Dollars and pay.
All posts are just opinions.

vadodara

Thu May 25, 2017 7:37 pm

SG might want to do its home-work before throwing its hat in the ring. Assuming they are targeting the VFR market, nothing to sneeze at.

LHR:
Con's: Slots/Price
Pro's: Very favorable demography in Hounslow and surrounding cities.

LGW:
Pro's: Easier slot availability; OK for India -> Europe VFR traffic
Con's: Quiet far from the VFR ethnic demography

SG might want to play safe by starting from midland's cities to DEL and perhaps Amritsar to Birmingham

Either way, the Indian market will have lots of choices and about time!

devmapper

Thu May 25, 2017 7:44 pm

flybhx764 wrote:
787 all economy seats. 300 to 350 pax layout. Uk airport are heathrow and Birmingham. Indian airports to be confirmed

Funny, all the people on A.net have been clamoring for non-stop Manchester-India flight, and yet a capable airline owner chooses to fly on routes originally opened by AI.

With all the complaints about AI on A.net, it seems to be able to do pretty well when left alone by GOI.

vadodara

Fri May 26, 2017 5:26 pm

Not sure if this was posted, but some analysis on Bombay - Manchester:
http://www.anna.aero/2017/04/12/manchester-mumbai-is-skyscanner-unserved-route-of-the-week/

Summary:
With over 725,000 searches in the last year – that’s over 60,000 searches per month! – a potential city pair from Manchester to Mumbai has been identified as this week’s “Skyscanner-anna.aero Unserved Route of Week” – a powerful analysis based on aspirational data captured from the Skyscanner.net flight comparison site used by +60 million unique visitors per month.

They assume about 10% conversion rate, hence it makes an estimated market of 72,000 per year.

devmapper

Fri May 26, 2017 7:29 pm

vadodara wrote:
Not sure if this was posted, but some analysis on Bombay - Manchester:
http://www.anna.aero/2017/04/12/manchester-mumbai-is-skyscanner-unserved-route-of-the-week/

Summary:
With over 725,000 searches in the last year – that’s over 60,000 searches per month! – a potential city pair from Manchester to Mumbai has been identified as this week’s “Skyscanner-anna.aero Unserved Route of Week” – a powerful analysis based on aspirational data captured from the Skyscanner.net flight comparison site used by +60 million unique visitors per month.

They assume about 10% conversion rate, hence it makes an estimated market of 72,000 per year.

I am a little confused, 10% conversion rate implies that an average person searches for prices on MAN-BOM route 9 times before booking a ticket. Isn't that high? I would expect people to make up their mind after the first 4-5 times. How are the searches distributed throughout the year, does it stay fairly constant or does it have distinct periods of peaks and troughs?

The 72k estimated passengers per year number (assuming an even distribution throughout the year) essentially translates to 100 PDEW (200 pax/day). Without significant feeds from other cities, even AI would not be able to fill a 788.

vadodara

Fri May 26, 2017 10:02 pm

So these are just averages and this is a very VFR market.

Regardless, it does suggest that a frequency of 3-4 flights per week is certainly doable. As the service matures, my guess would be that people in other midland cities may find this more convinient than travelling to LHR. Keep in mind that ME3 will still have an advantage in traffic that is heading away from Bombay.

Harshil9

Fri May 26, 2017 10:16 pm

9W just announced a third daily BOM-LHR so there is strong demand for long haul out of India particularly to the UK. Maybe they can do lower frequency flights from secondary Indian Airports to differentiate themselves. E.g. Ahmedabad Hyderabad Amritsar direct 2-3x a week

RL777

Fri May 26, 2017 10:20 pm

vadodara wrote:
So these are just averages and this is a very VFR market.

Regardless, it does suggest that a frequency of 3-4 flights per week is certainly doable. As the service matures, my guess would be that people in other midland cities may find this more convinient than travelling to LHR. Keep in mind that ME3 will still have an advantage in traffic that is heading away from Bombay.

Currently India is majority VFR traffic, and that should likely only increase as the middle class grows steadily. I definitely think there's room for Spicejet if they play their cards right.

PEK777

Fri May 26, 2017 10:56 pm

Any airline can make MASSIVE money off baggage fees from Indian passengers. Have you seen all the suitcases they haul around filled with spices?

Rajahdhani

Fri May 26, 2017 11:05 pm

PEK777 wrote:
Have you seen all the suitcases they haul around filled with spices?

We're much more likely to take electronics, clothing, general shopping items, liquor, and even jewelry than we are to transport spices. With all due respect, where are you from? Not that I wish to challenge you, but I wish to correct this notion that we are all hauling copious amounts of saffron, cardamon, and tea leaves - than the average passenger (from say, China, Thailand, Bangladesh, Pakistan, Burma, Kenya, South Africa, or even South Hampton...).

devmapper

Fri May 26, 2017 11:43 pm

Harshil9 wrote:
9W just announced a third daily BOM-LHR so there is strong demand for long haul out of India particularly to the UK. Maybe they can do lower frequency flights from secondary Indian Airports to differentiate themselves. E.g. Ahmedabad Hyderabad Amritsar direct 2-3x a week

See, the 2-3 times every week is only going to be attractive the days are Fri-Sat-Sun. Essentially, you'd have 3 aircraft flying every weekend, but sitting at the airport costing money for the rest of the week.

Would you fly a direct LHR-AMD/ATQ or return on a Tuesday?

atal17

Sat May 27, 2017 5:19 am

Spiderguy252 wrote:
BawliBooch wrote:

I have yet to see him elaborate some of his claims....

Regardless, SG will do fine. I'm betting atleast initially they may test out their widebodies in the KSA-India market or the India-Thailand market, before eventually moving westward or eastward to more volume-heavy routes.

atal17

Sat May 27, 2017 5:20 am

Spiderguy252 wrote:
BawliBooch wrote:

I have yet to see him elaborate some of his claims....

Regardless, SG will do fine. I'm betting atleast initially they may test out their widebodies in the KSA-India market or the India-Thailand market, before eventually moving westward or eastward to more volume-heavy routes.

BawliBooch

Sat May 27, 2017 8:38 am

atal17 wrote:
I'm betting atleast initially they may test out their widebodies in the KSA-India market or the India-Thailand market, before eventually moving westward or eastward to more volume-heavy routes.

I am yet to see any basis for any of this speculation.

Widebodies in winter? Let's see an lease/order first before beginning mindless speculation.

flybhx764

Sat May 27, 2017 8:59 am

https://www.ch-aviation.com/portal/news ... haul-debut

Its Birmingham or london but beyond london heathrow. Cant see gatwick. Wasnt there an an airline pop who claimed they were starting flights from stn to Amritsar and Ahmedabad. All will be announced very shortly

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/desti ... abad-and-/

Harshil9

Sat May 27, 2017 9:19 am

devmapper wrote:
Harshil9 wrote:

See, the 2-3 times every week is only going to be attractive the days are Fri-Sat-Sun. Essentially, you'd have 3 aircraft flying every weekend, but sitting at the airport costing money for the rest of the week.

Would you fly a direct LHR-AMD/ATQ or return on a Tuesday?

Yes I would fly on a tuesday. Especially as they are a LCC and are likely to be a few hundred pounds below competitors. Most indian pax go to visit family or go on holiday and it doesnt really matter what day of the week they fly.
I dont see how they can not operate AMD and ATQ on alternate days in a W pattern switching between routes at LGW/MAN/STN

BestWestern

Sat May 27, 2017 10:29 am

The Skyscanner data is totally useless. The more VFR the route, the more searches are done as days and months are very flexible.

Ultra High density non stop point to point UK- India would be very successful. London, Birmingham, Manchester, Glasgow

This market segment is highly price sensitive, so lowest cost is essential, especially considering the non commercial attitudes of the flag carrier.
Greetings from Hong Kong.... a subsidiary of China Inc.

vadodara

Sat May 27, 2017 2:32 pm

PEK777 wrote:
Any airline can make MASSIVE money off baggage fees from Indian passengers. Have you seen all the suitcases they haul around filled with spices?

Electronics! But these days with Chinese made stuff, one needs to buy 3 to ensure atleast 1 works!

TheGeordielad

Sat May 27, 2017 5:51 pm

flybhx764 wrote:
https://www.ch-aviation.com/portal/news/56235-indias-spicejet-to-lease-in-b787s-for-longhaul-debut

Its Birmingham or london but beyond london heathrow. Cant see gatwick. Wasnt there an an airline pop who claimed they were starting flights from stn to Amritsar and Ahmedabad. All will be announced very shortly

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/desti ... abad-and-/

Yes there was and so was another called Firnas flying to India or nearby countries
but I haven't heard anything for a while.
I remember reading something on POP(people over profit) that they are crowd funding and had 3.5million out of 5milliom pounds to start.Dont know anything since.

TheGeordielad

Sat May 27, 2017 5:54 pm

Which Indian airports would they fly out of?

Cunard

Sat May 27, 2017 5:59 pm

vadodara wrote:
PEK777 wrote:

Electronics! But these days with Chinese made stuff, one needs to buy 3 to ensure atleast 1 works!

What are you actually adding to the already naive statement made by the ill informed PEK777.
94 Countries, 327 Destinations Worldwide, 32 Airlines, 29 Aircraft Types, 182 Airports, 335 Flights.

BOMRPR

Sat May 27, 2017 6:14 pm

Cunard wrote:
vadodara wrote:
PEK777 wrote:

What are you actually adding to the already naive statement made by the ill informed PEK777.

:rotfl: Irrespective to the stuff carried, it would be well within the baggage allowance more than one could imagine, to the last kilo!

Scales back home are used to weight bags more often than people

NeBaNi

Sat May 27, 2017 10:56 pm

PEK777 wrote:

Well, then they have the perfect airline to travel on, don't they? SPICE-Jet :praise: :duck:

KarelXWB

Mon Oct 02, 2017 1:10 pm

Here's what SpiceJet has to say on the 787:

Fast-expanding SpiceJet has issued a stark warning to Boeing about the 787 Dreamliner, insisting that the next-generation plane is too expensive to catalyze demand in the low-cost long-haul (LCLH) market.

Chairman Ajay Singh says he sees merit in the LCLH business model pioneered by Norwegian Air Shuttle, but only if ownership costs come down for airlines.

“It’s a pricing issue,” Singh tells me. “As a concept I think there is potential in this low-cost long-haul business. But to make the fares lower and to offer it profitably, you need to ensure that your costs are significantly lower. And, at the price points at which these aircraft are today, we find that’s a bit of a challenge.”

https://www.forbes.com/sites/martinrive ... l-success/
What we leave behind is not as important as how we've lived.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos