Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

AirbusMDCFAN
Topic Author

MDW bars, restaurants, and other venues to close as part of $75 million renovation package

Thu May 11, 2017 5:52 pm

Link/Source: http://www.chicagotribune.com/business/ ... story.html

Starting tomorrow (Friday) and over the next 9 days if you flying out of MDW, there are changes coming to some of the food, bar and café concessions and will be replaced with new venues as part of a $75 million renovation plan.

sw733

Re: MDW bars, restaurants, and other venues to close as part of $75 million renovation package

Thu May 11, 2017 6:16 pm

I used to be on a first name basis with the guys as Reilly's Daughter and they still remember me when I stop in once or twice a year. Glad to see they're sticking around.

tjwgrr

Re: MDW bars, restaurants, and other venues to close as part of $75 million renovation package

Thu May 11, 2017 6:31 pm

Tossing out the top performing Potbelly makes no sense, but reading the comments from that article indicate Chicago politics may be involved. Surprise, surprise.
------
"Midway hurts," Potbelly President and CEO Aylwin B. Lewis said, after announcing that the city had declined to renew its lease. "The 16 years we have had that site, we felt it was a privilege. It was a brand-builder." The store reported a profit of $2 million last year with $8 million in revenue. The Midway location was the chain's busiest location.
Direct KNOBS, maintain 2700' until established on the localizer, cleared ILS runway 26 left approach.

DCA-ROCguy

Thu May 11, 2017 6:40 pm

"The 19 new restaurants slated to open at Midway will collectively usher in more upscale food service. Among the new eateries slated to open at Midway are True Burger, Windy City Tap, Pizza Vino, Tabo Sushi and Home Run Inn."

So, more reasonably-priced food is being tossed out and replaced with more expensive stuff, at yet another airport. More reason to eat *before* I go to the airport. Get the hint, Chicago Dept. of Aviation?

And what did Harry Caray's do to get thrown out? Isn't that the kind of local thing that these expensive upgrades are supposed to be about?

Airports need to keep things like McDonald's there for those of us who just want to eat for minimal cost and keep moving.

Jim
Need a new airline paint scheme? Better call Saul! (Bass that is)

FlyUSAir

Thu May 11, 2017 6:48 pm

DCA-ROCguy wrote:
"The 19 new restaurants slated to open at Midway will collectively usher in more upscale food service. Among the new eateries slated to open at Midway are True Burger, Windy City Tap, Pizza Vino, Tabo Sushi and Home Run Inn."

So, more reasonably-priced food is being tossed out and replaced with more expensive stuff, at yet another airport. More reason to eat *before* I go to the airport. Get the hint, Chicago Dept. of Aviation?

And what did Harry Caray's do to get thrown out? Isn't that the kind of local thing that these expensive upgrades are supposed to be about?

Airports need to keep things like McDonald's there for those of us who just want to eat for minimal cost and keep moving.

Jim

Agreed. I am seeing more and more upscale restaurants open up. While sometimes it's a good thing if I have a long layover and extra money, sometimes I am on a tight budget and need something quick. Having nothing of the sort will not only make me not spend money there, but will influence my connecting options in the future.
A319/A320/A321/A333 712/732/733/734/735/737/738/752/753/762/763 C172 CR2/CR7/CR9 E145/E170/E175/E190
MD82/MD83/MD88/MD90 Q100/Q400

CIDFlyer

Thu May 11, 2017 11:04 pm

maybe they should ask MSP. MSP/Delta did a major revamp with more upscale fare and got rid of McDonalds....lots of people complained and it was eventually brought back. And I still cant understand why MDW and ORD dont have a Portillos and either Giordannos or Ginos East.

irelayer

Thu May 11, 2017 11:24 pm

CIDFlyer wrote:
maybe they should ask MSP. MSP/Delta did a major revamp with more upscale fare and got rid of McDonalds....lots of people complained and it was eventually brought back. And I still cant understand why MDW and ORD dont have a Portillos and either Giordannos or Ginos East.

The funny thing is, "Chicago Food" (hot dogs, beef, thin-crust pizza, deep-dish pizza, Polish sausage, Italian sausage) is the WORST food you can get at ORD and MDW. It's atrocious. It's usually a stand or some no-name airport concession that serves a subpar product that sits there for hours and usually doesn't taste very good. Man I would eat the crap out of some Portillo's if they had an airport location.

The best thing @ ORD Terminal 1 is without a doubt Frontera.

The best thing @ MDW is without a doubt Potbelly (and they are getting rid of it?).

Seriously look at the target market of MDW which is almost entirely a domestic airport and almost entirely consists of WN service. Then tell me if more "upscale" dining is appropriate.

-IR

mtnwest1979

Thu May 11, 2017 11:47 pm

I have been through Midway many, many times and almost always stop by either Potbelly (my first experience with them) and McDonald's or both.
Seems that they want to upgouge, I mean upgrade, choices by adding more time-consuming choices. If it isn't quick or familiar, many will pass and not bother.
But it would seem to come down to squeezing business for more money for the local cronies.
As the shirts say, 'Chuck Ficago' lol I agree.
Riddle: Which lasts longer, a start-up airline or a start-up football league?

ikramerica

Thu May 11, 2017 11:49 pm

DCA-ROCguy wrote:

Jim

It's ridiculous. Sit down with "express" versions only in some cases, where the express is salad, salad, and something cold.

There is a race to see who can be the snottiest and trendiest. Earth the Brent! The airport is a transit hub, not a dining destination...
Of all the things to worry about... the Wookie has no pants.

MIflyer12

Thu May 11, 2017 11:54 pm

DCA-ROCguy wrote:

Jim

The move of U.S. airports to providing for-profit services is decades-old. Toilets, water fountains, and seats at the gates will be free but everything else will have a cost. Airports are generally run as not-for-profit, but if traveler revenues are greater (parking, retail, dining) then they can lower fees to carriers. It's repeated over and over.

Cubsrule

Fri May 12, 2017 3:35 am

mtnwest1979 wrote:
I have been through Midway many, many times and almost always stop by either Potbelly (my first experience with them) and McDonald's or both.
Seems that they want to upgouge, I mean upgrade, choices by adding more time-consuming choices. If it isn't quick or familiar, many will pass and not bother.
But it would seem to come down to squeezing business for more money for the local cronies.
As the shirts say, 'Chuck Ficago' lol I agree.

It is/was hard to get a decent sit-down meal at MDW. There's a market for it, and judging from the perpetual lines at Harry Caray's it's a decently large market. That doesn't mean MDW needs no quick service, but I'm not sure the balance was right.
I can't decide whether I miss the tulip or the bowling shoe more

elbandgeek

Fri May 12, 2017 3:43 am

I've been wanting a real coffee shop besides McDonalds for years so the Dunkin is welcome but getting rid of Potbelly hurts. Almost anytime I've had an afternoon flight I'd grab a sandwich to take onboard and now I don't know what I'll do. With them expanding the bridge and moving security they'll have more space in a triangle down the road so maybe if demand is sufficient they'll bring some of these places back.

and Portillos. and Big Star. Please.

dsuairptman

Fri May 12, 2017 3:57 am

Is the Home Run Inn the same as the pizza in the frozen food aisle? If so, steer clear of that. It's surprising that McD's is getting the ax as it is a long time Chicagoland outfit. Doesn't mean it is good, just surprising. Nuts on Clark stays but it wasn't the best the last time I went through MDW.
GEAUX SAINTS!

bpat777

Fri May 12, 2017 5:26 am

FlyUSAir wrote:
DCA-ROCguy wrote:

Jim

Agreed. I am seeing more and more upscale restaurants open up. While sometimes it's a good thing if I have a long layover and extra money, sometimes I am on a tight budget and need something quick. Having nothing of the sort will not only make me not spend money there, but will influence my connecting options in the future.

I feel the same as you guys. If my connection is under an hour, a sit down restaurant isn't an option for me. ATL has the best mixture of both grab and go and nice sit down places to eat. This trend will simply make me eat before getting to the airport too.

dc10lover

Fri May 12, 2017 6:03 am

Is this going to hurt Midway Airport / Southwest Airlines business wise?
Why endure the nightmare and congestion of LAX when BUR, LGB, ONT & SNA is so much easier to fly in and out of. Same with OAK & SJC when it comes to SFO.

usflyguy

Fri May 12, 2017 6:57 am

dc10lover wrote:
Is this going to hurt Midway Airport / Southwest Airlines business wise?

Do people pick the airline based upon the restaurants in the airport? No.
My post is my ideas and my opinions only, I do not represent the ideas or opinions of anyone else or company.

LoftleidirDC8

Fri May 12, 2017 7:11 am

For fast food you still have Gold Coast Dogs. But where is a Starbucks or Peets? For such a constraind site where is the additional square footage being added? Midway is efficient for O&D as well as connections but lacks any architectural style.

Mexicana757

Sat May 13, 2017 3:16 pm

Mcdonalds is usually the only place that is open around 5am to get anything to eat. They should have left at least one location open. Wish they had some renderings of the new restaurants in the article. A Frontera grill location at MDW would have been great. Giordano's would have been better than Home Run Inn. Looking forward to seeing what final result will look like.

Now if they could also invest in expanding the FIS area under concourse A. With one flight it feels crowded. Wouldn't want to be in there when they have to process three flights. :crowded: :crowded: :crowded: :faint:

Cubsrule

Sat May 13, 2017 3:54 pm

Mexicana757 wrote:
Mcdonalds is usually the only place that is open around 5am to get anything to eat. They should have left at least one location open. Wish they had some renderings of the new restaurants in the article. A Frontera grill location at MDW would have been great. Giordano's would have been better than Home Run Inn. Looking forward to seeing what final result will look like.

Now if they could also invest in expanding the FIS area under concourse A. With one flight it feels crowded. Wouldn't want to be in there when they have to process three flights. :crowded: :crowded: :crowded: :faint:

Between the preparation time and the fact that it's somewhat customary to take a lot of leftovers home, deep dish - Giordano's or anyone else - would be tricky in an airport.
I can't decide whether I miss the tulip or the bowling shoe more

mtnwest1979

Sat May 13, 2017 4:35 pm

So I hope they will finally add concessions where walkway to A4, A4A and A intersect. Have had a 'coming soon' sign there for years lol.
Riddle: Which lasts longer, a start-up airline or a start-up football league?

AirFiero

Sun May 14, 2017 12:26 am

Yet another reason I bought my own plane, and park at places like Signature at MDW. Rental car is either at the plane or 5 feet out the front door. Short drive to Chicago pizza place dinner with family.

wnflyguy

Sun May 14, 2017 3:54 am

Potbelly's will be missed by everyone! So will the moving walkways those are also getting torn up. Then be replace with planters and benches. So if your connection is something like B24 to A19 on WN your in for one Hell of a hike! Hope WN better coordinates it's connecting BANKS with gate locations. As it is now it's a Box of chocolates on a daily basis.
Flyguy
My Wings are clipped just another Retired Airline person. The Ultimate Armchair out of the loop airline industry geek. Aloha Mr Hand!

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos