Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

 
User avatar
eisenbach
Topic Author
Posts: 202
Joined: Mon Mar 05, 2001 12:57 am

ANA 787 engine troubles - emergency landing in Siberia

Fri May 12, 2017 11:31 am

Engine failure on ANA flight NH206 from Narita to Dusseldorf. The B787 landet in Bratsk (Siberia).

As soon as I have more news, I will post it

Source: http://www.aero.de/news-26661/ANA-Dream ... irien.html
DC-6, DC9, Do228, Saab340, Twin-Otter, C212, Fokker50, AN24, MD90, MD83, EMB120, A380, A300, A343, A346, B721, B742, B744, B748...
 
User avatar
eisenbach
Topic Author
Posts: 202
Joined: Mon Mar 05, 2001 12:57 am

Re: ANA 787 engine troubles - emergency landing in Siberia

Fri May 12, 2017 11:41 am

On ANA website:

Image
DC-6, DC9, Do228, Saab340, Twin-Otter, C212, Fokker50, AN24, MD90, MD83, EMB120, A380, A300, A343, A346, B721, B742, B744, B748...
 
User avatar
eisenbach
Topic Author
Posts: 202
Joined: Mon Mar 05, 2001 12:57 am

Re: ANA 787 engine troubles - emergency landing in Siberia

Fri May 12, 2017 11:48 am

Flightradar24 link: http://www.flightradar24.com/data/fligh ... 9/#d5d06f0

Image
Image

PLANE:

Type: B789
Registration: JA871A
Serial Number: 34534
Delivered: Jul 2015
DC-6, DC9, Do228, Saab340, Twin-Otter, C212, Fokker50, AN24, MD90, MD83, EMB120, A380, A300, A343, A346, B721, B742, B744, B748...
 
StephenPHL
Posts: 2
Joined: Fri May 12, 2017 12:00 pm

Re: ANA 787 engine troubles - emergency landing in Siberia

Fri May 12, 2017 12:11 pm

Yomiuri and Sankei news is reporting that that instrumentation indicated a drop in oil level in the #1 engine. It was flight NH209, the German news site incorrectly noted NH206.
 
downdata
Posts: 589
Joined: Wed Feb 17, 2016 2:38 am

Re: ANA 787 engine troubles - emergency landing in Siberia

Fri May 12, 2017 12:11 pm

probably nothing serious but its going to be a cold night for crew and pax if they can't clear immigration?
 
 
User avatar
eisenbach
Topic Author
Posts: 202
Joined: Mon Mar 05, 2001 12:57 am

Re: ANA 787 engine troubles - emergency landing in Siberia

Fri May 12, 2017 12:16 pm

I am sure they will get through immigration. Usually all PAX and crew are escorted to hotels.

I don't think that a Japanese legacy carriers don't take care of the passengers and are able to handle these IRREGs :-)
DC-6, DC9, Do228, Saab340, Twin-Otter, C212, Fokker50, AN24, MD90, MD83, EMB120, A380, A300, A343, A346, B721, B742, B744, B748...
 
downdata
Posts: 589
Joined: Wed Feb 17, 2016 2:38 am

Re: ANA 787 engine troubles - emergency landing in Siberia

Fri May 12, 2017 12:19 pm

StephenPHL wrote:


133 crew and pax? Thats some pretty light load for a 789...
 
User avatar
eisenbach
Topic Author
Posts: 202
Joined: Mon Mar 05, 2001 12:57 am

Re: ANA 787 engine troubles - emergency landing in Siberia

Fri May 12, 2017 12:21 pm

StephenPHL wrote:
Yomiuri and Sankei news is reporting that that instrumentation indicated a drop in oil level in the #1 engine.


This does not sound very serious. I am wondering if they are somehow able to fix the problem remote and continue to Dusseldorf?
DC-6, DC9, Do228, Saab340, Twin-Otter, C212, Fokker50, AN24, MD90, MD83, EMB120, A380, A300, A343, A346, B721, B742, B744, B748...
 
gloom
Posts: 494
Joined: Thu Jun 30, 2016 4:24 pm

Re: ANA 787 engine troubles - emergency landing in Siberia

Fri May 12, 2017 12:31 pm

StephenPHL wrote:
Yomiuri and Sankei news is reporting that that instrumentation indicated a drop in oil level in the #1 engine.


Hmm,

Similar to what happened to LOTs departure from ORD (LOT4) back two, or three days ago. Oil level as well.

Only two reports so far, but both on T1000 powered 787 (if I'm correct, ANA is also using T1000). Something to keep an eye on.

Cheers,
Adam
 
Newbiepilot
Posts: 3642
Joined: Tue Aug 30, 2016 10:18 pm

Re: ANA 787 engine troubles - emergency landing in Siberia

Fri May 12, 2017 4:08 pm

eisenbach wrote:
StephenPHL wrote:
Yomiuri and Sankei news is reporting that that instrumentation indicated a drop in oil level in the #1 engine.


This does not sound very serious. I am wondering if they are somehow able to fix the problem remote and continue to Dusseldorf?


It depends on how low it went. If there was an oil leak and the engine oil dropped to zero, an engine change most likely would be required. Just low oil quantity won't cause an engine change if they were able to shut down the engine in time and stop the leak. If it is a sensor problem then that can be fixed quickly if they have parts.
 
User avatar
sunrisevalley
Posts: 5392
Joined: Tue Jul 06, 2004 3:26 am

Re: ANA 787 engine troubles - emergency landing in Siberia

Fri May 12, 2017 4:12 pm

The crew got it on the ground pretty quickly.
 
Kilopond
Posts: 563
Joined: Wed Jun 15, 2016 10:08 am

Re: ANA 787 engine troubles - emergency landing in Siberia

Fri May 12, 2017 4:27 pm

According to Russian reports ANA will send a replacement plane tomorrow morning so that passengers will be able to continue to Dusseldorf.

In Russian: https://news.yandex.ru/yandsearch?text= ... how=clutop
 
ILUVDC10S
Posts: 259
Joined: Mon Apr 24, 2017 3:56 am

Re: ANA 787 engine troubles - emergency landing in Siberia

Fri May 12, 2017 5:38 pm

with it being over land should they not be able to continue flight to DUS with the one engine? would that prove the viability for the 2 engine craft to fly on one engine ? should be within the parameters for a ETOPS yet overland , of course my math calculation may have it off by a few hairs. lets see what that 787 can do ..

Of course safety is #1 would be interesting to see it prove itself though. Lets see if I am wrong.

Noticed how they did not fly over N Korea or China they danced around Chinese airspace and went directly into Russian airspace speaks volumes eh?
 
B777LRF
Posts: 2738
Joined: Sun Nov 02, 2008 4:23 am

Re: ANA 787 engine troubles - emergency landing in Siberia

Fri May 12, 2017 6:13 pm

ILUVDC10S wrote:
with it being over land should they not be able to continue flight to DUS with the one engine? would that prove the viability for the 2 engine craft to fly on one engine ? should be within the parameters for a ETOPS yet overland , of course my math calculation may have it off by a few hairs. lets see what that 787 can do ..

Of course safety is #1 would be interesting to see it prove itself though. Lets see if I am wrong.?


You couldn't be more wrong. First of all, you don't go about carrying out experimental flights on a scheduled commercial service. Never. Secondly, whilst twin engine aircraft are wonderfully economic to operate, they do come with the inherent that a loss of one is an emergency. Not an inconvenience, not an operational challenge, not a mildly distressing event, it's an emergency. Thirdly, whilst the routing was over land, suitable diversion airfields are few and far apart in that part of the world. It's not like the US or Europe, where you overfly a suitable runway every 15 minutes. In Siberia, it could be hours. Last, but not least, you might have noticed the aircraft dropped around 10.000ft and lost a bit of airspeed. That increases both time to destination and fuel burn; the one engine carrying the whole load will be working much harder; the aircraft will be yawing and therefore suffer from increased drag; it's flying through 'thicker' air in the lower altitudes, meaning more drag and higher fuel burn. They most certainly wouldn't have fuel for DUS from the point the lost an engine, not by a long shot.

Your idea may just take the biscuit as the most stupid one this site.
Signature. You just read one.
 
ILUVDC10S
Posts: 259
Joined: Mon Apr 24, 2017 3:56 am

Re: ANA 787 engine troubles - emergency landing in Siberia

Fri May 12, 2017 6:23 pm

B777LRF wrote:
ILUVDC10S wrote:
with it being over land should they not be able to continue flight to DUS with the one engine? would that prove the viability for the 2 engine craft to fly on one engine ? should be within the parameters for a ETOPS yet overland , of course my math calculation may have it off by a few hairs. lets see what that 787 can do ..

Of course safety is #1 would be interesting to see it prove itself though. Lets see if I am wrong.?


You couldn't be more wrong. First of all, you don't go about carrying out experimental flights on a scheduled commercial service. Never. Secondly, whilst twin engine aircraft are wonderfully economic to operate, they do come with the inherent that a loss of one is an emergency. Not an inconvenience, not an operational challenge, not a mildly distressing event, it's an emergency. Thirdly, whilst the routing was over land, suitable diversion airfields are few and far apart in that part of the world. It's not like the US or Europe, where you overfly a suitable runway every 15 minutes. In Siberia, it could be hours. Last, but not least, you might have noticed the aircraft dropped around 10.000ft and lost a bit of airspeed. That increases both time to destination and fuel burn; the one engine carrying the whole load will be working much harder; the aircraft will be yawing and therefore suffer from increased drag; it's flying through 'thicker' air in the lower altitudes, meaning more drag and higher fuel burn. They most certainly wouldn't have fuel for DUS from the point the lost an engine, not by a long shot.

Your idea may just take the biscuit as the most stupid one this site.


Gotcha. Thank you for the explanation on that. I did learn something from that post FYI . Just was thinking how one would perform said experiment without doing it in actual operations ? could this situation be replicated in testing in Washington State or South Carolina ? with exact passenger load and cargo onboard and full fuel load or at the engine manufacturer ? I am asking a serious question here ..
 
TC957
Posts: 3876
Joined: Wed May 23, 2012 1:12 pm

Re: ANA 787 engine troubles - emergency landing in Siberia

Fri May 12, 2017 6:23 pm

Not to mention the Russian authorities would never permit an overfly in it's airspace with any inop engine.
 
izbtmnhd
Posts: 945
Joined: Tue Aug 17, 2010 7:06 pm

Re: ANA 787 engine troubles - emergency landing in Siberia

Fri May 12, 2017 6:26 pm

downdata wrote:
probably nothing serious but its going to be a cold night for crew and pax if they can't clear immigration?


Currently 2AM there and it's 8C. Not that cold.
 
TC957
Posts: 3876
Joined: Wed May 23, 2012 1:12 pm

Re: ANA 787 engine troubles - emergency landing in Siberia

Fri May 12, 2017 6:29 pm

eisenbach wrote:
I am sure they will get through immigration. Usually all PAX and crew are escorted to hotels.

I don't think that a Japanese legacy carriers don't take care of the passengers and are able to handle these IRREGs :-)

Bratsk doesn't have any international flights so doubt they will have immigration facilities there.
 
Newbiepilot
Posts: 3642
Joined: Tue Aug 30, 2016 10:18 pm

Re: ANA 787 engine troubles - emergency landing in Siberia

Fri May 12, 2017 6:39 pm

ILUVDC10S wrote:
B777LRF wrote:
ILUVDC10S wrote:
with it being over land should they not be able to continue flight to DUS with the one engine? would that prove the viability for the 2 engine craft to fly on one engine ? should be within the parameters for a ETOPS yet overland , of course my math calculation may have it off by a few hairs. lets see what that 787 can do ..

Of course safety is #1 would be interesting to see it prove itself though. Lets see if I am wrong.?


You couldn't be more wrong. First of all, you don't go about carrying out experimental flights on a scheduled commercial service. Never. Secondly, whilst twin engine aircraft are wonderfully economic to operate, they do come with the inherent that a loss of one is an emergency. Not an inconvenience, not an operational challenge, not a mildly distressing event, it's an emergency. Thirdly, whilst the routing was over land, suitable diversion airfields are few and far apart in that part of the world. It's not like the US or Europe, where you overfly a suitable runway every 15 minutes. In Siberia, it could be hours. Last, but not least, you might have noticed the aircraft dropped around 10.000ft and lost a bit of airspeed. That increases both time to destination and fuel burn; the one engine carrying the whole load will be working much harder; the aircraft will be yawing and therefore suffer from increased drag; it's flying through 'thicker' air in the lower altitudes, meaning more drag and higher fuel burn. They most certainly wouldn't have fuel for DUS from the point the lost an engine, not by a long shot.

Your idea may just take the biscuit as the most stupid one this site.


Gotcha. Thank you for the explanation on that. I did learn something from that post FYI . Just was thinking how one would perform said experiment without doing it in actual operations ? could this situation be replicated in testing in Washington State or South Carolina ? with exact passenger load and cargo onboard and full fuel load or at the engine manufacturer ? I am asking a serious question here ..


The 787 is capable of flying for 330 minutes on a single engine. The plane could have continued flying. However, there is too much risk if another failure happens.

The pilots must follow the Flight Crew Operations Manual / Quick Referece Handbook. It is going to tell the pilots to land at the nearest suitable alternate airport. There is no question there. The airplane is designed to be able to be flown for 330 minutes (given sufficient fuel), but the pilots must find the nearest suitable airport. The FAA or in this case JCAB establishes definitions of suitable alternate with the airline. It usually means an airport with a sufficiently long runway, acceptable weather and basic accommodations. As we have seen from some diversions in Alaska accommodations might be a warehouse, forklift and fire truck, but in any case the plane must get on the ground as quick as reasonably possible.
 
User avatar
7BOEING7
Posts: 3039
Joined: Fri Oct 12, 2012 5:28 pm

Re: ANA 787 engine troubles - emergency landing in Siberia

Fri May 12, 2017 7:33 pm

ILUVDC10S wrote:

Gotcha. Thank you for the explanation on that. I did learn something from that post FYI . Just was thinking how one would perform said experiment without doing it in actual operations ? could this situation be replicated in testing in Washington State or South Carolina ? with exact passenger load and cargo onboard and full fuel load or at the engine manufacturer ? I am asking a serious question here ..


During certification there are several flights that demonstrate the ETOPS capability of the airplane which include shutting an engine down and flying for 5-6 hours to an alternate airfield. Although there are no passengers/cargo on board (the FAA would never allow that for obvious reasons) the airplane drifts down to the appropriate altitude for its lower weight (slightly higher than what would occur with a fully loaded airplane to assure the engine is working as hard as it would under normal conditions) and flies on to a landing. These flights take place out in the real world not doing circles over WA or SC.
 
Kilopond
Posts: 563
Joined: Wed Jun 15, 2016 10:08 am

Re: ANA 787 engine troubles - emergency landing in Siberia

Fri May 12, 2017 7:35 pm

Newbiepilot wrote:
[...] but in any case the plane must get on the ground as quick as reasonably possible.


:thumbsup: Obviously the ANA crew weighted safety over passenger comfort and didn't divert to a more international airport with better infrastructure like the neaby IKT. At the end, a somewhat unpleasent night at a remote Siberian apron is not going to harm anyone seriously.

If local Russian reports may be believed, passengers have to spend the night aboard the plane but catering is being provided. The replacement aircraft from Tokyo is scheduled to arrive at 0830H/0030Z.
 
ILUVDC10S
Posts: 259
Joined: Mon Apr 24, 2017 3:56 am

Re: ANA 787 engine troubles - emergency landing in Siberia

Fri May 12, 2017 11:24 pm

Newbiepilot wrote:
ILUVDC10S wrote:
B777LRF wrote:

You couldn't be more wrong. First of all, you don't go about carrying out experimental flights on a scheduled commercial service. Never. Secondly, whilst twin engine aircraft are wonderfully economic to operate, they do come with the inherent that a loss of one is an emergency. Not an inconvenience, not an operational challenge, not a mildly distressing event, it's an emergency. Thirdly, whilst the routing was over land, suitable diversion airfields are few and far apart in that part of the world. It's not like the US or Europe, where you overfly a suitable runway every 15 minutes. In Siberia, it could be hours. Last, but not least, you might have noticed the aircraft dropped around 10.000ft and lost a bit of airspeed. That increases both time to destination and fuel burn; the one engine carrying the whole load will be working much harder; the aircraft will be yawing and therefore suffer from increased drag; it's flying through 'thicker' air in the lower altitudes, meaning more drag and higher fuel burn. They most certainly wouldn't have fuel for DUS from the point the lost an engine, not by a long shot.

Your idea may just take the biscuit as the most stupid one this site.


Gotcha. Thank you for the explanation on that. I did learn something from that post FYI . Just was thinking how one would perform said experiment without doing it in actual operations ? could this situation be replicated in testing in Washington State or South Carolina ? with exact passenger load and cargo onboard and full fuel load or at the engine manufacturer ? I am asking a serious question here ..


The 787 is capable of flying for 330 minutes on a single engine. The plane could have continued flying. However, there is too much risk if another failure happens.

The pilots must follow the Flight Crew Operations Manual / Quick Referece Handbook. It is going to tell the pilots to land at the nearest suitable alternate airport. There is no question there. The airplane is designed to be able to be flown for 330 minutes (given sufficient fuel), but the pilots must find the nearest suitable airport. The FAA or in this case JCAB establishes definitions of suitable alternate with the airline. It usually means an airport with a sufficiently long runway, acceptable weather and basic accommodations. As we have seen from some diversions in Alaska accommodations might be a warehouse, forklift and fire truck, but in any case the plane must get on the ground as quick as reasonably possible.


Okay. Now for a calculated risk to have a actual live occurrence such as this, someone someday needs to experiment to know what that plane will do during actual operations Of course no single incident is like the other however you would have the knowledge to do improvements to the equipment and to federal regs and company manuals and procedures. I know I would not like to be the guinea pig for such a thing ,, however to improve aviation construction and flight training etc etc you can test limits or go to that red line as long as its not crossed .
 
Newbiepilot
Posts: 3642
Joined: Tue Aug 30, 2016 10:18 pm

Re: ANA 787 engine troubles - emergency landing in Siberia

Fri May 12, 2017 11:32 pm

ILIVDC10S, I suggest you read FAR 25.1309 for how a system safety analysis is done before suggesting that airplanes should be flying test beds in commercial operation. The Boeing engineers have already done a thorough safety analysis for every single function in the entire airplane and have documented every conceivable failure mode and designed in redundancy and maintenance inspections to ensure the airplane is safe.

https://www.faa.gov/documentLibrary/med ... 309-1A.pdf

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/AC_25.1309-1
 
Dalmd88
Posts: 3157
Joined: Fri Jul 28, 2000 3:19 am

Re: ANA 787 engine troubles - emergency landing in Siberia

Sat May 13, 2017 1:59 am

When you lose an engine you are to land at the nearest capable airport. ETOPS just allows you to be farther from the nearest airport. It does not mean keep flying on one engine for the full ETOPS range.
 
ILUVDC10S
Posts: 259
Joined: Mon Apr 24, 2017 3:56 am

Re: ANA 787 engine troubles - emergency landing in Siberia

Sat May 13, 2017 2:15 am

Newbiepilot wrote:
ILIVDC10S, I suggest you read FAR 25.1309 for how a system safety analysis is done before suggesting that airplanes should be flying test beds in commercial operation. The Boeing engineers have already done a thorough safety analysis for every single function in the entire airplane and have documented every conceivable failure mode and designed in redundancy and maintenance inspections to ensure the airplane is safe.

https://www.faa.gov/documentLibrary/med ... 309-1A.pdf

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/AC_25.1309-1


Okay thank you for that
 
User avatar
BobPatterson
Posts: 3416
Joined: Thu Nov 26, 2015 7:18 am

Re: ANA 787 engine troubles - emergency landing in Siberia

Sat May 13, 2017 2:55 am

B777LRF wrote:
Your idea may just take the biscuit as the most stupid one this site.


No need to cap your teaching seminar with insult.
Facts are fragile things. Treat them with care. Sources are important. Alternative facts do not exist.
 
klkla
Posts: 851
Joined: Fri Jul 16, 2004 8:51 am

Re: ANA 787 engine troubles - emergency landing in Siberia

Sat May 13, 2017 3:07 am

B777LRF wrote:
Your idea may just take the biscuit as the most stupid one this site.


Is that really necessary?
 
ILUVDC10S
Posts: 259
Joined: Mon Apr 24, 2017 3:56 am

Re: ANA 787 engine troubles - emergency landing in Siberia

Sat May 13, 2017 3:10 am

BobPatterson wrote:
B777LRF wrote:
Your idea may just take the biscuit as the most stupid one this site.


No need to cap your teaching seminar with insult.

It is okay Been called worse in life Its been addressed .
 
User avatar
eisenbach
Topic Author
Posts: 202
Joined: Mon Mar 05, 2001 12:57 am

Re: ANA 787 engine troubles - emergency landing in Siberia

Sat May 13, 2017 5:38 am

According to ANA website:

The flight NH209 left Bratsk Airport at 10:30 a.m., May 13, Bratsk local time by changing the aircraft, and is estimated to arrive at 11:40 a.m., May 13, Dusseldorf local time.
DC-6, DC9, Do228, Saab340, Twin-Otter, C212, Fokker50, AN24, MD90, MD83, EMB120, A380, A300, A343, A346, B721, B742, B744, B748...
 
Adipocere
Posts: 323
Joined: Sat Jun 27, 2015 9:35 am

Re: ANA 787 engine troubles - emergency landing in Siberia

Sat May 13, 2017 5:49 am

That would have been an interesting experience for the Japanese on board considering that Russia and Japan still haven't signed a peace treaty since WW2 and there have been wars between the two countries earlier than that..
 
MartijnNL
Posts: 999
Joined: Sun Jan 01, 2017 11:44 am

Re: ANA 787 engine troubles - emergency landing in Siberia

Sat May 13, 2017 6:22 am

Adipocere wrote:
That would have been an interesting experience for the Japanese on board considering that Russia and Japan still haven't signed a peace treaty since WW2 and there have been wars between the two countries earlier than that..

I think all the passengers were happy to be on the ground. Is a missing peace treaty really of interest to the average Japanese passenger? Probably not.
 
LJ
Posts: 5384
Joined: Wed Nov 17, 1999 8:28 pm

Re: ANA 787 engine troubles - emergency landing in Siberia

Sat May 13, 2017 6:31 am

ILUVDC10S wrote:
Noticed how they did not fly over N Korea or China they danced around Chinese airspace and went directly into Russian airspace speaks volumes eh?


Not really, it's quite normal to save overflight costs by reducing the number of countries which one overflies. Nothing political intended but probably purely commercially motivated.
 
User avatar
eisenbach
Topic Author
Posts: 202
Joined: Mon Mar 05, 2001 12:57 am

Re: ANA 787 engine troubles - emergency landing in Siberia

Sat May 13, 2017 6:31 am

Substitute aircraft on it's way to DUS:

Image
DC-6, DC9, Do228, Saab340, Twin-Otter, C212, Fokker50, AN24, MD90, MD83, EMB120, A380, A300, A343, A346, B721, B742, B744, B748...
 
User avatar
eisenbach
Topic Author
Posts: 202
Joined: Mon Mar 05, 2001 12:57 am

Re: ANA 787 engine troubles - emergency landing in Siberia

Sat May 13, 2017 6:35 am

LJ wrote:
ILUVDC10S wrote:
Noticed how they did not fly over N Korea or China they danced around Chinese airspace and went directly into Russian airspace speaks volumes eh?


Not really, it's quite normal to save overflight costs by reducing the number of countries which one overflies. Nothing political intended but probably purely commercially motivated.


Further than that - North Korea is not really much on the route and the Chinese airspace is always a pain, thus avoided by airlines (not many air routes and very frequent short term closures due to military reasons).
DC-6, DC9, Do228, Saab340, Twin-Otter, C212, Fokker50, AN24, MD90, MD83, EMB120, A380, A300, A343, A346, B721, B742, B744, B748...
 
TC957
Posts: 3876
Joined: Wed May 23, 2012 1:12 pm

Re: ANA 787 engine troubles - emergency landing in Siberia

Sat May 13, 2017 7:08 am

All Japan - Europe and most Korea & Taiwan - Europe flights skip round that far NE corner of China.
 
davescj
Posts: 1288
Joined: Wed Jun 13, 2007 1:46 am

Re: ANA 787 engine troubles - emergency landing in Siberia

Sat May 13, 2017 11:54 am

Adipocere wrote:
That would have been an interesting experience for the Japanese on board considering that Russia and Japan still haven't signed a peace treaty since WW2 and there have been wars between the two countries earlier than that..


The USSR and Japan signed a joint declaration on Oct. 19, 1956 (USSR refused the 1951 Peace Treaty with Japan). This ended the war and allowed for diplomatic relations to restart.

As to awkward - Aeroflot has non stop service to NRT, so the relationship can't be too terrible. As others have said, the situation with NK and China is probably more tense.
Can I have a mojito on this flight?
 
RickNRoll
Posts: 1869
Joined: Fri Jan 06, 2012 9:30 am

Re: ANA 787 engine troubles - emergency landing in Siberia

Sat May 13, 2017 12:03 pm

Dalmd88 wrote:
When you lose an engine you are to land at the nearest capable airport. ETOPS just allows you to be farther from the nearest airport. It does not mean keep flying on one engine for the full ETOPS range.


Unless you are Singapore Airlines and you want to get the 777 to Singapore for repairs instead of landing in Malaysia.
 
ILUVDC10S
Posts: 259
Joined: Mon Apr 24, 2017 3:56 am

Re: ANA 787 engine troubles - emergency landing in Siberia

Sat May 13, 2017 3:00 pm

eisenbach wrote:
LJ wrote:
ILUVDC10S wrote:
Noticed how they did not fly over N Korea or China they danced around Chinese airspace and went directly into Russian airspace speaks volumes eh?


Not really, it's quite normal to save overflight costs by reducing the number of countries which one overflies. Nothing political intended but probably purely commercially motivated.


Further than that - North Korea is not really much on the route and the Chinese airspace is always a pain, thus avoided by airlines (not many air routes and very frequent short term closures due to military reasons).


Ah so that makes sense thank you. I always wondered why In SYD & NRT the ovrehead announcements said KLM Flight 847( for example) with service to Amsterdam via the Siberian Route .
And British Airways Flight 103 (for example )With service to London Heathrow via the Siberian Route that makes perfect sense to me now.
 
User avatar
eisenbach
Topic Author
Posts: 202
Joined: Mon Mar 05, 2001 12:57 am

Re: ANA 787 engine troubles - emergency landing in Siberia

Sat May 13, 2017 6:11 pm

gloom wrote:
Similar to what happened to LOTs departure from ORD (LOT4) back two, or three days ago. Oil level as well.

Only two reports so far, but both on T1000 powered 787 (if I'm correct, ANA is also using T1000). Something to keep an eye on.

Cheers,
Adam


Thanks for the interesting information.

JA871A seems to be still in Bratsk. At the LOT incident they were able to repair in less than 24 hours.

eisenbach
DC-6, DC9, Do228, Saab340, Twin-Otter, C212, Fokker50, AN24, MD90, MD83, EMB120, A380, A300, A343, A346, B721, B742, B744, B748...
 
ikramerica
Posts: 15100
Joined: Mon May 23, 2005 9:33 am

Re: ANA 787 engine troubles - emergency landing in Siberia

Sat May 13, 2017 6:26 pm

You will see many routes avoid Mexican airspace if they can because it's cheaper to pay the fuel vender than to pay Mexico. But if winds aren't favorable they will fly over Mexico. I assume that can be true all around the world.
Of all the things to worry about... the Wookie has no pants.
 
JA786A
Posts: 111
Joined: Fri Aug 26, 2016 11:11 pm

Re: ANA 787 engine troubles - emergency landing in Siberia

Sat May 13, 2017 8:04 pm

JA871A seems to be still in Bratsk. At the LOT incident they were able to repair in less than 24 hours.

Well that's because the LOT was able to return to Chicago and the ANA had to land in the middle of nowhere.
 
User avatar
DLHAM
Posts: 552
Joined: Sat Dec 31, 2016 1:10 am

Re: ANA 787 engine troubles - emergency landing in Siberia

Sat May 13, 2017 8:35 pm

downdata wrote:
StephenPHL wrote:


133 crew and pax? Thats some pretty light load for a 789...


Assuming a crew of 10, this is a 57% passenger load. They have 215 seats in the 787-9 operated to DUS, premium heavy. If Business Class is booked good the load factor can be low and the flight still be profitable. (After that diversion THIS flight is definitely not anymore ;-) ).

At least they upgraded DUS from 787-8 to -9. In a few years we will know for sure if the flight works. It will be still around or not ;-) .
My Instagram Account: Instagram
 
Apprentice
Posts: 778
Joined: Sat Jan 19, 2013 12:51 pm

Re: ANA 787 engine troubles - emergency landing in Siberia

Sun May 14, 2017 1:26 am

Hello:
I am not certified in this a/c.
From others Engines experience, when oil quantity start to drop, You should observe Oil Pressure. If no changes, no actions.
If Oil Pressure start to drop, Engine should be shutdown
A/c may be even dispatched w/ One Engine's Oil Qty Indication inop, as per MEL 79-31-01.
Question: Any reports about Engine Oil Pressure before shutdown?
Rgds.
“An4; IL18; IL6; Tu5; D10; MD11; MD83; B32; B34: B37; B744; B748; B752; B763; B772; B773; B77W; A320; A332; A333; A342; A343.
"A NO" is a positive answer., "DON'T KNOW" is not. My Tutor (a wise man)
“CUBANA” 90 years Flying”
 
9w748capt
Posts: 1759
Joined: Sat Feb 02, 2008 10:27 am

Re: ANA 787 engine troubles - emergency landing in Siberia

Sun May 14, 2017 2:18 am

Wow that is nuts - given this is Russia, I'm sure the pax were kept aboard the plane. In any case I wonder how many hotel rooms of reasonable quality there are in a place like Bratsk, even if they were let off the plane. For J class pax it would be ok - but omg I cannot fathom being stuck in economy class on a diversion like this - yikes!
 
MalevTU134
Posts: 2188
Joined: Tue Oct 11, 2016 8:04 pm

Re: ANA 787 engine troubles - emergency landing in Siberia

Sun May 14, 2017 2:38 am

9w748capt wrote:
Wow that is nuts - given this is Russia, I'm sure the pax were kept aboard the plane. In any case I wonder how many hotel rooms of reasonable quality there are in a place like Bratsk, even if they were let off the plane. For J class pax it would be ok - but omg I cannot fathom being stuck in economy class on a diversion like this - yikes!

Luckily there were only 125 or so pax on a 789. Shouldn't be too cramped even in economy... But I see what you mean....
 
B777LRF
Posts: 2738
Joined: Sun Nov 02, 2008 4:23 am

Re: ANA 787 engine troubles - emergency landing in Siberia

Sun May 14, 2017 6:53 am

BobPatterson wrote:
No need to cap your teaching seminar with insult.


klkla wrote:
Is that really necessary?


Perhaps not, but sprouting exceedingly ill-founded theories in the area of flight safety, does tend to get my knickers in a wad.
Signature. You just read one.
 
AVFCdownunder
Posts: 89
Joined: Thu Nov 05, 2015 11:12 am

Re: ANA 787 engine troubles - emergency landing in Siberia

Sun May 14, 2017 7:59 am

MartijnNL wrote:
Adipocere wrote:
That would have been an interesting experience for the Japanese on board considering that Russia and Japan still haven't signed a peace treaty since WW2 and there have been wars between the two countries earlier than that..

I think all the passengers were happy to be on the ground. Is a missing peace treaty really of interest to the average Japanese passenger? Probably not.



Yes, I don't think that was the first the first thing that came into mind as they made a sharp left turn and started descending.
 
lt1yj
Posts: 10
Joined: Tue Jan 05, 2016 7:57 am

Re: ANA 787 engine troubles - emergency landing in Siberia

Sun May 14, 2017 8:37 am

The 787 QRH has several options for a failed engine. For a single engine shutdown with no other effects the crew is led to land at nearest suitable airport. However, if the engine is shutdown and there is airframe vibration or engine separation (bad day) they are to reduce airspeed and immediately descend to a 'safe altitude which results in an acceptable vibration level'....followed by landing at nearest suitable airport.
 
paul101
Posts: 2
Joined: Sun May 14, 2017 9:00 am

Re: ANA 787 engine troubles - emergency landing in Siberia

Sun May 14, 2017 11:35 am

Good Forum guys very informative,

I was on ANA 787, landing was a bit harsh but nothing particularly out of the ordinary.

Engine is leaking oil onto the runway, pic attached

Image

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos