Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

MrNiceguy
Topic Author

Cathay Pacific

Fri Aug 20, 1999 8:58 am

Cathay Pacific is back to profit again. They have managed to make profit even though there were flight disruptions. Good work, CX!!

If you want to know more about their financial performance for the first half year of this year, go to their website.

One of thing, the new design for the SOHK is quite good. I agree that some other schemes are better. But that girl has really put it some efforts.

kaitak

RE: Cathay Pacific

Fri Aug 20, 1999 3:04 pm

I agree; it's great to see airlines making an effort with liveries and being a bit adventurous.

It's great to see Cathay bounce back and hopefully Cathay's recovery will pave the way for a new order. A340-600s or B777s, who knows.
As far as quality of service is concerned, I divide airlines into two categories: Cathay and everyone else.

And no, my alias has nothing to do with my bias towards Cathay !

Fri Aug 20, 1999 5:35 pm

I agree 100%. Cathay Pacific is service standard setter. It is great to see the airline back in action and make a profit. As a leading airline of the world, it certainly has made a huge impact on service delivery area.

Well, the final word is "Keep up the GREAT work Cathay".

pandora

Fri Aug 20, 1999 8:09 pm

Personally, I think CX's service is not bad however I hope they will order 777-300X to replace the 744s.

This profit however, is very small and believe it will be a long time till the airline fully recover from the eco crisis. Believe me, I've just been to Hong Kong and Taipei flying CX, and the payload of the flights were less than 3/4.

One strange thing-I visited the cockpit but the pilots won't let me take pix. WHY??!!!

F-WWKH

Fri Aug 20, 1999 8:33 pm

Why should they replace the B744s. Makes absolutely no sense. The service ist above average, but not outstanding. And they have flights HKG-TPE v.v. nearly every hour and the competition is quite high, thats why they are not flying full.

CX747

Sat Aug 21, 1999 12:05 am

There has been a small rumor floating around that CX is looking at the 777-300X, 747-400 and A340-600 as a replacement for the 747-400. I talked to another forum member on this subject and it seems that Cathay is pushing Boeing to introduce FBW flight controls into a 747. They really want the 747 just updated though.

kaitak

Sat Aug 21, 1999 12:59 am

An interesting site to read for the latest on Cathay "rumours" is the Professional Pilots Rumour Network, "Fragrant Harbour" . . .
Just a few points.
- There's been a long debate there about the 777-v- 346 (340-600) and Cathay appears to feel that the ETOPs on the Pacific might be a little dodgy; if something happens, the whole network could be affected and they're painfully aware of their A330 experience. More 777s can be expected, of course, but long haul will be a 340/744 domain.
- No word on a 744 replacement; they are however concerned about adding more 747s, feeling the design is a little old; don't be surprised to see them as a 3XX/350 customer, although maybe not one of the first.
- Oddly enough, an A321 order is being rumoured. Chew on that!
- As for low load factors, I have had quite a few with Cathay. Flew HKG-TPE-KIX on a 773 last year: about 120 pax (out of 367)
- Yes, I had the photo thing as well; apparently s.o. took a photo and misused it in a magazine or something. I don't know how, but they're still very decent with the jump seat. That should answer a few questions!

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos