Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

FTMCPIUS
Topic Author

Here we go again -- B6's turn in the barrel

Sun May 14, 2017 7:29 pm

JetBlue kicks family off plane in confrontation over their mom's birthday cake after it is 'deemed a SECURITY RISK' on flight to Las Vegas to celebrate her 40th

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4503800/

ChristopherS

Re: Here we go again -- B6's turn in the barrel

Sun May 14, 2017 7:45 pm

Not even the angel airlines seems to be safe from publicity scandals this year... I'll bet money Alaska is next

LMFNINJA

Sun May 14, 2017 7:58 pm

It seems that common sense and honesty are in short supply at many of the U.S. airlines.

zionite

Sun May 14, 2017 8:07 pm

Why is dailymail.co.uk reporting such incidents?

Its good that B6 refunded their tickets. They wasted time of the other pax for a silly cake. Was it so special? Did the mom bake it herself? Probably not. They could buy a similar cake in Las Vegas.

There's a higher risk of hiding an explosive in a cake than in shoes or even laptops. Also in case of turbulence it can mess up the other luggage in the bin.

Would you choose your holiday or a cake and 30 seconds of publicity?

I would say B6 handled the incident perfectly.

steex

Sun May 14, 2017 8:13 pm

Allow me to provide the cliff's notes version of this thread in advance:

Point: The passengers were reasonable, they did no wrong, a cake won't hurt anybody, the customer is always right.
Counterpoint: The passengers were entitled, nobody cares about your birthday, they brought this on themselves.

Point: The airlines are evil, the crews hate passengers, their only concern is churning profit and being mean to people.
Counterpoint: The crew is infallible, all instructions regardless of merit are to be followed, passengers should ask "how high?" when ordered to jump.

Point: Why would people from New Jersey fly out of JFK? That's crazy.
Counterpoint: How is that relevant?

Point: Yuck, buttercream cake is gross.
Counterpoint: I love buttercream cake!

Point: Who would ever want to eat a cake which has been stored on the floor of a commercial aircraft, even if sealed in a container?
Counterpoint: Fair point.

phatfarmlines

Sun May 14, 2017 8:47 pm

zionite wrote:
They could buy a similar cake in Las Vegas.

The furthest I'd go to bringing food on the plane is to consume it in-flight. A cake in an overhead bin is not 100% secure. It will slide on takeoff/landing and bounce during turbulence, resulting in a smashed mess upon arrival. Best thing would have been to phone-in an order ahead from a bakery on the Strip so they can pick it up at their destination.

N5814D

Steex, I like your style.

INFINITI329

zionite wrote:
Why is dailymail.co.uk reporting such incidents?

Its good that B6 refunded their tickets. They wasted time of the other pax for a silly cake. Was it so special? Did the mom bake it herself? Probably not. They could buy a similar cake in Las Vegas.

There's a higher risk of hiding an explosive in a cake than in shoes or even laptops. Also in case of turbulence it can mess up the other luggage in the bin.

Would you choose your holiday or a cake and 30 seconds of publicity?

I would say B6 handled the incident perfectly.

I'm curious to know if really read the garbage you wrote.They cake was on the plane.. meaning it went thru TSA screening. As long as it packaged with some sort of retention (ie rope) the cake will not separate from its box. The cake is not a security risk lets be real. Common sense wasn't used by a particular f/a end of story.

Mogrcat

Sun May 14, 2017 9:06 pm

....and get this. They rebooked on UA and arrived without incident!!! The flying world is stunned.

When I talk with airline employees, most think that these incidents are no more now than in the past. Instant "reporting" has killed any resemblance to real news.

ty97

Sun May 14, 2017 9:12 pm

Mogrcat wrote:
When I talk with airline employees, most think that these incidents are no more now than in the past. Instant "reporting" has killed any resemblance to real news.

Certainly wouldn't surprise me if there's been no increase in these number of events and we're just hearing about them because these stories are 'in' right now.

AEROFAN

Sun May 14, 2017 9:14 pm

phatfarmlines wrote:
zionite wrote:

The furthest I'd go to bringing food on the plane is to consume it in-flight. A cake in an overhead bin is not 100% secure. It will slide on takeoff/landing and bounce during turbulence, resulting in a smashed mess upon arrival. Best thing would have been to phone-in an order ahead from a bakery on the Strip so they can pick it up at their destination.

Right,because the cake will fly out of the overhead bin, brain someone and kill them... talk about ways to die...

KLDC10

Sun May 14, 2017 9:20 pm

AEROFAN wrote:
Right,because the cake will fly out of the overhead bin, brain someone and kill them... talk about ways to die...

Quite a mess if turbulence hit though, right? Imagine the horror of opening the overhead bin after landing and discovering the cake covering not only the inside of the bin, but the leather briefcase of the large, angry looking man seated in the row behind you ;)

I'm being facetious of course!

phatfarmlines

Sun May 14, 2017 9:22 pm

AEROFAN wrote:

Tongue-in-cheek, but I'd be more worried about a ruined cake.

SPREE34

Sun May 14, 2017 10:14 pm

LMFNINJA wrote:
It seems that common sense and honesty are in short supply at many of the U.S. airlines.

THAT! Don't lie to PAX, such as blaming weather 4 days ago for your IT problems today. (Yes, you Delta) Don't make up rules on the fly.

Seriously? A cake that cleared TSA is a security risk?

AAlaxfan

Sun May 14, 2017 10:32 pm

I think what got them kicked of the flight is when they accused the FA of being drunk. From the article:
"According to Cameron, another flight attendant appeared and confronted her colleague and then Cameron.

'You know, you could see the gestures - then she was pointing to her, did you tell him he couldn't put anything in the overhead compartment?

'I had approached them, and I said everything was fine, and she said, 'sir, this does not involve you. When she told me I had been non-compliant, then I said 'ma'am, had you been drinking?' because her behavior was not normal''

If the father had not been confrontational with the FA it is quite possible they would've remained on board, but asking if the FA had been drinking crossed the line.

jasdiaz

Sun May 14, 2017 10:42 pm

Okay so since it's en vogue to pile on the airlines lately let's provide the actual facts on the incident and not the click bait news headline.

Customers boarded the aircraft and stowed the cake in a bin marked expressively for emergency equipment which housed a life raft and POB. Customer was asked to remove cake from that bin as per FAA NOTHING can go in that bin except emergency equipment. There are zero exemptions to this rule and the FAA fine for violating this rule is hefty.

Customers refused THREE times to comply with Crewmember request. Customers then questioned Crewmembers fitness to fly and began cursing and arguing with crew.

At that point captain and law enforcement became involved and ALL customers were deplaned since they refused to deplane.

Airline crew absolutely made the right call and JetBlue is 100% supporting their crew and calling out the customers grotesque behavior. Enough is enough with customers looking for trouble.

ASQ400

Sun May 14, 2017 10:43 pm

In the beginning, they were reporting stories about the airlines actually beating up pax (David Dao).
Now it's about pax abusing FAs

lat41

Sun May 14, 2017 10:44 pm

Please, lets get back to aircraft, aeronautics and airports and stop these sensational posts and their over the top replies. I, for one have had it with "the airport police spoke harshly to me", The TSA agent felt me up improperly", "The flight attendant slapped my kid" and "The Pilots were drunk". We do have professional and perpetual victims out there but this has gotten out of control.

SFOATLFlyer

Sun May 14, 2017 10:51 pm

All these incidents are part of a bigger picture of our society. People want cheap fares and first class service. Airline employees are often stressed for various reasons. Many people feel they are entitled, and to hell with everyone else. There is a widening gap in our country between beliefs, be them political, economical, social. There is way too much "I am right, you are f***ng wrong". It's interesting that we learn of these incident by the very conveniences we covet. Separating a human from their phone, tablet, PC is impossible. We both profit and suffer loss due to living in such an advanced era. It will only get worse.

Keith2004

Sun May 14, 2017 11:02 pm

steex wrote:

Point: The passengers were reasonable, they did no wrong, a cake won't hurt anybody, the customer is always right.
Counterpoint: The passengers were entitled, nobody cares about your birthday, they brought this on themselves.

Point: The airlines are evil, the crews hate passengers, their only concern is churning profit and being mean to people.
Counterpoint: The crew is infallible, all instructions regardless of merit are to be followed, passengers should ask "how high?" when ordered to jump.

Point: Who would ever want to eat a cake which has been stored on the floor of a commercial aircraft, even if sealed in a container?

:checkmark:
:lol:

Blueballs

Sun May 14, 2017 11:11 pm

Typical, everyone thinks they can cause trouble on an aircraft and they will Get a big payday when they are inconvenienced. Time for people to grow up. Sit in your seat and act like a human, get to your destination and get off the airplane.... simple

dfwjim1

Sun May 14, 2017 11:33 pm

So I am guessing that all of the passengers had to leave the plane because the two flight attendants were taken off duty? Or was there some other reason?

jasdiaz

Sun May 14, 2017 11:56 pm

dfwjim1 wrote:
So I am guessing that all of the passengers had to leave the plane because the two flight attendants were taken off duty? Or was there some other reason?

No one was taken off duty. The customers in question refused to deplane so rather than allowing them to make a bigger scene and garner their 15 minutes everyone was removed from the aircraft.

Whalejet

Mon May 15, 2017 12:21 am

SFOATLFlyer wrote:
All these incidents are part of a bigger picture of our society. People want cheap fares and first class service. Airline employees are often stressed for various reasons. Many people feel they are entitled, and to hell with everyone else. There is a widening gap in our country between beliefs, be them political, economical, social. There is way too much "I am right, you are f***ng wrong". It's interesting that we learn of these incident by the very conveniences we covet. Separating a human from their phone, tablet, PC is impossible. We both profit and suffer loss due to living in such an advanced era. It will only get worse.

THIS X 1000.

I get mad in regards to air travel sometimes. I really do. For example, I was passing through Abu Dhabi to get back the US, and they made me do pre-clearance in Abu Dhabi...at 3 AM, with 450 other people, all of whom are flying on an A380 to JFK with me. On the same trip, the tray table was the two part style, and the bottom part was inclined slightly downward when I had a tray on it, forcing me to have my knees, a blanket, and a pillow jamming up the tray table for the entire meal service. Then I take a step back and realize that I'm getting across the world in 15 hours, something it took our ancestors hundreds of thousands of years.

Air travel is unpleasant, but for the love of god, have some perspective.

polywad6963

Mon May 15, 2017 12:29 am

Sorry for this being my first post..but how in the world did the cake make it past TSA anyway? You cant take anything "spreadable" through the checkpoint and is there anyone that sells whole cakes past security?

mm320cap

Mon May 15, 2017 1:18 am

jasdiaz wrote:
dfwjim1 wrote:

No one was taken off duty. The customers in question refused to deplane so rather than allowing them to make a bigger scene and garner their 15 minutes everyone was removed from the aircraft.

This is the new reality in air travel. Passengers now feel emboldened to say "I'm not leaving". So now EVERYONE else has to get off the jet, causing a 30-60 minute delay for the flight. Airlines now are terrified to ferry crew at the last minute, so expect more cancellations as a result. The Law of Unintended Consequences is alive and well.

vrbarreto

Mon May 15, 2017 7:09 pm

AEROFAN wrote:
phatfarmlines wrote:
zionite wrote:

It's worse.. Far far worse than that. The split cake will attract the snakes and you will have a global disaster of 'Snakes and Cake on a Plane'. Of course had Samuel L Jackson been also on this plane it may have end up ok. For him it would have been a cake walk.. A piece of cake in fact. He would have been caked in glory. Cake......

CriticalPoint

Mon May 15, 2017 9:55 pm

jasdiaz wrote:
dfwjim1 wrote:

as of a month ago if someone I want off my aircraft refuses to get off then everyone will get off.......welcome to the post Dao world.

birdbrainz

Mon May 15, 2017 10:25 pm

Maybe the crew was concerned that the cake's owners weren't following proper de-icing procedures.

atcsundevil

Mon May 15, 2017 11:47 pm

steex wrote:

Bingo. Not only that, but who would go through the hassle of trying to travel with a cake in the first place? They would have been better off literally bringing the kitchen sink so they could make a cake WHEN THEY GOT THERE like a normal person.

On a side note, I'm very much in favor of you posting your point/counterpoint on every thread we've got. It would be a nice summary for the 90% of people who comment without actually reading the article. This one, like many, could even be followed up with a Dan Aykroyd, "Jane, you ignorant slut!"

shintaenam

Mon May 15, 2017 11:52 pm

These people should be prosecuted and banned from flying anywhere and on any carrier for the rest of their lives. By refusing to follow commands from the flight attendants. They are serious threat to aviation security and the safety of fellow passengers. The US government should make flight attendant a law enforcement department, just like any police department, and empower all flight attendants with the power to arrest and prosecute uncooperative passengers to prevent similar incidence from happening repeatedly. All foods and drinks not provided by the airlines should be banned from the aircraft cabin as well, this would also boost the airlines' financial performance.

EA CO AS

Tue May 16, 2017 12:14 am

birdbrainz wrote:
Maybe the crew was concerned that the cake's owners weren't following proper de-icing procedures.

Virtual737

Tue May 16, 2017 8:33 am

Sounds like somebody wanted to have their cake and seat it.

jumbojet

Tue May 16, 2017 1:43 pm

JetBlue is not the darling airline everyone thinks they are. Shame on the flight attendants for having an ego the size of a United 747. This should not have happened and is clearly the fault of JetBlue. Its a real piss poor attitude, the reply they give to the media. Comes across as our way or the highway. I mean, is it really JetBlue corporate policy to just blindly take the side of the employee? Shame on JetBlue. Another reason to avoid flying them.

EWRkid1990

Tue May 16, 2017 2:04 pm

steex wrote:

lol, I live 15 minutes from EWR, and often find JFK to be cheaper (bonus of having 3 hubs at one airport, WAY more competition) and it gives me more options than United. A quick PATH ride to 33rd Street and then 2 stops on LIRR and I'm there. Not much trouble at all.

EWRkid1990

Tue May 16, 2017 2:05 pm

shintaenam wrote:
These people should be prosecuted and banned from flying anywhere and on any carrier for the rest of their lives. By refusing to follow commands from the flight attendants. They are serious threat to aviation security and the safety of fellow passengers. The US government should make flight attendant a law enforcement department, just like any police department, and empower all flight attendants with the power to arrest and prosecute uncooperative passengers to prevent similar incidence from happening repeatedly. All foods and drinks not provided by the airlines should be banned from the aircraft cabin as well, this would also boost the airlines' financial performance.

...No. Just...no.

fastmover

Tue May 16, 2017 2:23 pm

jumbojet wrote:
JetBlue is not the darling airline everyone thinks they are. Shame on the flight attendants for having an ego the size of a United 747. This should not have happened and is clearly the fault of JetBlue. Its a real piss poor attitude, the reply they give to the media. Comes across as our way or the highway. I mean, is it really JetBlue corporate policy to just blindly take the side of the employee? Shame on JetBlue. Another reason to avoid flying them.

Oh look who it is. I guess you know the real story right?
You never cease to amaze me with your hate of JetBlue.
How dare the company stand by its employees yes shame shame shame.
Look buddy if a passanger questions my crew about their ability to do their job and won't listen to instructions it is my way or the highway. That is how it works. Don't like it go fly Delta it's not like they won't drag you off the plane or anything.

Oh wait
http://www.freep.com/story/news/2017/04 ... 100353032/

I guess it's Deltas way or the highway but in your world that is just fine.

Wow

CobaltScar

Tue May 16, 2017 2:25 pm

Hopefully they are added to the JetBlue not welcome to fly list.

flymia

Tue May 16, 2017 3:16 pm

Looks like a disagreement that could have happened anywhere at any time. The only difference it was on an airplane. No one knows all the facts, but given what was said in the article both sides were wrong. One the women should not have accused a flight attendant of being drunk. That right there could cause the flight to be delayed and the flight attendant to go off duty and take a test. At the same time the crew should not have acted in such a defensive way so quickly. But its somewhat understanding given the women accused the FA of being drunk on the job, which is certainly a fireable offense.

What should have happened is that after the cake was put away, everyone should have said sorry and we move on our way. IMO this is when the captain of the flight should take over and be the leader of the team. But at the same time the captain needs to stand up for his crew. I assume they did not want any issues to happen during the flight, so they asked the passengers to get off.

Its not cut and dry here. But things like this happen all the time in so many other places.

lostsound

Tue May 16, 2017 3:32 pm

I'm sorry but that family is just plain stupid. A man on UA gets physically bashed for not giving up a seat he paid for vs a daft family who refuses to give up a cake they could buy for 10 bucks at their destination. These should not get equal media treatment.