pabloeing
Topic Author
Posts: 592
Joined: Wed Dec 10, 2014 3:00 pm

British Airways B787-10 Routes

Mon May 15, 2017 4:01 pm

¿Some idea of BA B787-10 routes?.....¿only USA?
Last edited by atcsundevil on Mon May 15, 2017 5:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Removed all caps from title
 
TC957
Posts: 3533
Joined: Wed May 23, 2012 1:12 pm

Re: BRITISH AIRWAYS B787-10 ROUTES

Mon May 15, 2017 4:18 pm

As these aren't due for another two years, I doubt BA have given it too much thought yet.
But yes, replacing 744's on East Coast US would be a logical option.
 
aviationjunky
Posts: 391
Joined: Fri Mar 25, 2016 10:27 pm

Re: BRITISH AIRWAYS B787-10 ROUTES

Mon May 15, 2017 4:29 pm

I wouldn't be surprised to see them start swapping the 747s with 78X or A35K. Not all flights, but I could see them using 78X on LHR-JFK, MIA, LAS, PHX, YYZ. But again, it would all be about demand, so maybe seasonal flights with 747s still?
LAS is Life
 
33lspotter
Posts: 545
Joined: Tue Jul 22, 2014 2:37 pm

Re: British Airways B787-10 Routes

Mon May 15, 2017 6:24 pm

Although East Coast US seems like a logical fit, I would imagine that BA would still keep 744s on shorter, high-demand routes like LHR-JFK and LHR-BOS. Obviously the former is much busier than the latter, but – even with DY starting service to LGW as well as MT and VS to MAN – BA still does pretty well in BOS.
 
drdisque
Posts: 1137
Joined: Mon Mar 26, 2007 9:57 am

Re: British Airways B787-10 Routes

Mon May 15, 2017 6:38 pm

I can see them doing ORD, PHX, DFW, EWR, MIA, YYZ over the Atlantic
 
Arion640
Posts: 2458
Joined: Fri Mar 31, 2017 5:15 pm

Re: British Airways B787-10 Routes

Mon May 15, 2017 7:41 pm

I think they'll see a few -10's and A35K at YYZ and the likes. Maybe one or two at JFK. EWR too perhaps? More 744's like the remaining BNL's are due to go next, but saying that BNLY just came from a C check.

We can speculate but we won't know until BA announce it.
No bumps. No bangs - Concorde
 
EK006
Posts: 80
Joined: Sat Aug 23, 2014 8:34 am

Re: British Airways B787-10 Routes

Mon May 15, 2017 9:52 pm

Tel Aviv and Cairo pop in mind as these will free the B789 and 772 that can be used to expand. I can also see DXB and RUH. They will mostly replace current medium haul 772 and 747 routes
 
Arion640
Posts: 2458
Joined: Fri Mar 31, 2017 5:15 pm

Re: British Airways B787-10 Routes

Mon May 15, 2017 10:10 pm

EK006 wrote:
Tel Aviv and Cairo pop in mind as these will free the B789 and 772 that can be used to expand. I can also see DXB and RUH. They will mostly replace current medium haul 772 and 747 routes


Wouldn't they just send the 787-10's to expand? Although I didn't expect them to send the -9's to Cairo.

They have a lot of 747 capacity to replace if many are due to leave the fleet. So it would seem natural that these new aircraft coming in will replace some of these.
No bumps. No bangs - Concorde
 
pablo359
Posts: 15
Joined: Fri Jan 27, 2017 11:47 pm

Re: British Airways B787-10 Routes

Mon May 15, 2017 11:04 pm

Arion640 wrote:

Wouldn't they just send the 787-10's to expand? Although I didn't expect them to send the -9's to Cairo.

They have a lot of 747 capacity to replace if many are due to leave the fleet. So it would seem natural that these new aircraft coming in will replace some of these.


They will upgauge B787-9 routes that are performing well to the 787-10, and use those to try new markets. Too risky to jump on a new route with a 300+ seat aircraft. However, they will mostly be replacing the B744 except for those 18 that are being refurbished to the Super High J standards.
 
kaitak744
Posts: 2209
Joined: Fri Jul 22, 2005 1:32 pm

Re: British Airways B787-10 Routes

Mon May 15, 2017 11:11 pm

The longest route BA flies is LHR-SCL, which is 6,281nm. Well within the range of the 787-10. They can / will fly the 787-10 to pretty much any route in their network that they see fit. Unlike the A380, I don't see it relegating to a select few.
 
User avatar
flee
Posts: 1005
Joined: Mon Oct 12, 2009 8:14 am

Re: British Airways B787-10 Routes

Tue May 16, 2017 12:11 am

It might make sense to deploy these on longer routes where the fuel efficiency gains will be at their maximum. That way, previous generation aircraft can be deployed on shorter routes to mitigate their fuel thirst.
 
Gemuser
Posts: 5008
Joined: Mon Nov 24, 2003 12:07 pm

Re: British Airways B787-10 Routes

Tue May 16, 2017 12:59 am

kaitak744 wrote:
The longest route BA flies is LHR-SCL, which is 6,281nm. Well within the range of the 787-10. They can / will fly the 787-10 to pretty much any route in their network that they see fit. Unlike the A380, I don't see it relegating to a select few.

LHR-SCL is BA's longest sector, its longest current route is LHR-SIN-SYD. Somehow I doubt we will see it in SYD but you never know!

Gemuser
 
User avatar
zeke
Posts: 14056
Joined: Thu Dec 14, 2006 1:42 pm

Re: British Airways B787-10 Routes

Tue May 16, 2017 1:13 am

kaitak744 wrote:
The longest route BA flies is LHR-SCL, which is 6,281nm. Well within the range of the 787-10. They can / will fly the 787-10 to pretty much any route in their network that they see fit. Unlike the A380, I don't see it relegating to a select few.


I think LHR-SCL is a little far for the -10, given they are planning to install first class on them I think they will remove some destinations from the list.
Human rights lawyers are "ambulance chasers of the very worst kind.'" - Sky News
 
EK006
Posts: 80
Joined: Sat Aug 23, 2014 8:34 am

Re: British Airways B787-10 Routes

Tue May 16, 2017 5:42 am

Arion640 wrote:
EK006 wrote:
Tel Aviv and Cairo pop in mind as these will free the B789 and 772 that can be used to expand. I can also see DXB and RUH. They will mostly replace current medium haul 772 and 747 routes


Wouldn't they just send the 787-10's to expand? Although I didn't expect them to send the -9's to Cairo.

They have a lot of 747 capacity to replace if many are due to leave the fleet. So it would seem natural that these new aircraft coming in will replace some of these.

The 787-10 have more capacity than that 787-9 and less range, so BA Will likely send smaller aircraft if they were to open more long haul routes in the future.
 
TheGeordielad
Posts: 905
Joined: Fri Jan 13, 2017 5:08 pm

Re: British Airways B787-10 Routes

Tue May 16, 2017 6:57 am

Places that are served by the 747 like DEN,LAS&PHX for example will probably get them.
 
Arion640
Posts: 2458
Joined: Fri Mar 31, 2017 5:15 pm

Re: British Airways B787-10 Routes

Tue May 16, 2017 9:27 am

pablo359 wrote:
Arion640 wrote:

Wouldn't they just send the 787-10's to expand? Although I didn't expect them to send the -9's to Cairo.

They have a lot of 747 capacity to replace if many are due to leave the fleet. So it would seem natural that these new aircraft coming in will replace some of these.


They will upgauge B787-9 routes that are performing well to the 787-10, and use those to try new markets. Too risky to jump on a new route with a 300+ seat aircraft. However, they will mostly be replacing the B744 except for those 18 that are being refurbished to the Super High J standards.


Yes you are right, but they probably would of upgaged Cairo to 777 only by now, if it was peforming that well. They have sent 747's there in the past.

How is SCL peforming, does anyone know?
No bumps. No bangs - Concorde
 
parapente
Posts: 3061
Joined: Tue Mar 28, 2006 10:42 pm

Re: British Airways B787-10 Routes

Tue May 16, 2017 9:29 am

Replacing 744's with 7810's is quite a drop in capacity.Can it be inferred that the 744's to these 'secondary'(if that's a fair word) routes are running at lower than desirable load factors? If load factors were forecast to be higher I imagine they would have gone for more 351's.

How long are BA intending to run their 744's? Clearly 2 -3 more years if they are waiting for these -10's esp if they have just done a c check.
But I don't think they have ordered enough a/c to replace all of the remaining 744 fleet have they?
 
lhrsfosyd
Posts: 209
Joined: Wed Oct 26, 2016 4:57 pm

Re: British Airways B787-10 Routes

Tue May 16, 2017 10:48 am

18 A350s are meant to replace 18 mid-J B747 so it's fair to say that B787-10 won't be flying on trunk routes currently operated by mid-J B747s simply because they don't provide necessary capacity. My bet is that B787-10s will start replacing oldest B772s and perhaps allow to upgauge large volume B789 routes (NRT, PVG, DXB, EWR, DEL, BOM, BOS).
 
waoz1
Posts: 535
Joined: Fri Oct 28, 2016 7:31 am

Re: British Airways B787-10 Routes

Tue May 16, 2017 11:18 am

Should of pipped Qantas at the post on the Perth-London direct flights
 
Arion640
Posts: 2458
Joined: Fri Mar 31, 2017 5:15 pm

Re: British Airways B787-10 Routes

Tue May 16, 2017 12:12 pm

lhrsfosyd wrote:
18 A350s are meant to replace 18 mid-J B747 so it's fair to say that B787-10 won't be flying on trunk routes currently operated by mid-J B747s simply because they don't provide necessary capacity. My bet is that B787-10s will start replacing oldest B772s and perhaps allow to upgauge large volume B789 routes (NRT, PVG, DXB, EWR, DEL, BOM, BOS).



BA have said the 772's will get a 30 year lifespan. However more 772's are planning to go 10 abreast Y than what's currently at gatwick. Its possible that they will replace some LHR based 777's with 7810's and then send more aircraft over to Gatwick.
No bumps. No bangs - Concorde
 
pabloeing
Topic Author
Posts: 592
Joined: Wed Dec 10, 2014 3:00 pm

Re: British Airways B787-10 Routes

Tue May 16, 2017 3:55 pm

lhrsfosyd wrote:
18 A350s are meant to replace 18 mid-J B747 so it's fair to say that B787-10 won't be flying on trunk routes currently operated by mid-J B747s simply because they don't provide necessary capacity. My bet is that B787-10s will start replacing oldest B772s and perhaps allow to upgauge large volume B789 routes (NRT, PVG, DXB, EWR, DEL, BOM, BOS).


¿Is possible LHR-NRT with a B787-10?
 
VC10er
Posts: 4131
Joined: Tue Feb 20, 2007 6:25 am

Re: British Airways B787-10 Routes

Tue May 16, 2017 4:16 pm

Can the 787-10 do LHR to South America, GRU/GIG/EZE? (sorry, I know that's not North America and a bit off topic, but I am curious re: range)
To Most the Sky is The Limit, For me, the Sky is Home.
 
Arion640
Posts: 2458
Joined: Fri Mar 31, 2017 5:15 pm

Re: British Airways B787-10 Routes

Tue May 16, 2017 5:25 pm

VC10er wrote:
Can the 787-10 do LHR to South America, GRU/GIG/EZE? (sorry, I know that's not North America and a bit off topic, but I am curious re: range)


I'd of thought so. If the 77E can do it then the 7810 should be able too as well.
No bumps. No bangs - Concorde
 
User avatar
TedToToe
Posts: 626
Joined: Mon Dec 08, 2014 11:43 pm

Re: British Airways B787-10 Routes

Tue May 16, 2017 6:49 pm

As has already been stated, the 18 mid-J 744's in the fleet are being replaced by a similar number of A35K's. Of course, that doesn't mean that those routes currently operated by mid-J 744's will automatically get A35K's in the future. We know that the A35K will feature a new business class product, so I would expect to see them used on routes where BA has more completion. So, for example, routes like SIN-SYD, HKG and HND could see their 77W's displaced by A35K's. The 77W's could then move across to the likes of PHX and CPT to replace the 744's. The 78X's are more difficult to predict, but I really don't think that BA bought them with the likes of GIG, GRU and EZE in mind. Much will depend on the configuration, but I see US/Canada East Coast and Middle East/India as more probable.
 
Motorhussy
Posts: 3614
Joined: Thu Mar 30, 2000 7:49 am

Re: British Airways B787-10 Routes

Tue May 16, 2017 10:55 pm

Arion640 wrote:
If the 77E can do it then the 7810 should be able too as well.


The 787-10's range is a couple of hundred kilometres less than that of the 777-200ER.
come visit the south pacific
 
Arion640
Posts: 2458
Joined: Fri Mar 31, 2017 5:15 pm

Re: British Airways B787-10 Routes

Tue May 16, 2017 11:01 pm

Motorhussy wrote:
Arion640 wrote:
If the 77E can do it then the 7810 should be able too as well.


The 787-10's range is a couple of hundred kilometres less than that of the 777-200ER.


You are correct, but London to Argentina is 7291 miles, 787-10 range is 9438.6 miles. Should be able to do it full no problem.
No bumps. No bangs - Concorde
 
User avatar
Irehdna
Posts: 388
Joined: Thu Dec 01, 2016 12:40 am

Re: British Airways B787-10 Routes

Tue May 16, 2017 11:09 pm

My guess is the 772ER routes without a first class. EZE, BLR, MAA, BOM, EWR, PHL, and some Caribbean routes come into mind.
 
User avatar
MrHMSH
Posts: 2465
Joined: Sat Oct 12, 2013 7:32 pm

Re: British Airways B787-10 Routes

Wed May 17, 2017 11:19 am

Arion640 wrote:
Motorhussy wrote:
Arion640 wrote:
If the 77E can do it then the 7810 should be able too as well.


The 787-10's range is a couple of hundred kilometres less than that of the 777-200ER.


You are correct, but London to Argentina is 7291 miles, 787-10 range is 9438.6 miles. Should be able to do it full no problem.


You sure? Boeing's website gives a range of 7400 miles/6430nm/11910km. But in practice I'm not sure the 78X can make anywhere near that, its performance is better than the A333 but not by much more. EZE is one of BA's longest routes, exceeded only by SCL.
 
Arion640
Posts: 2458
Joined: Fri Mar 31, 2017 5:15 pm

Re: British Airways B787-10 Routes

Wed May 17, 2017 12:08 pm

MrHMSH wrote:
Arion640 wrote:
Motorhussy wrote:

The 787-10's range is a couple of hundred kilometres less than that of the 777-200ER.


You are correct, but London to Argentina is 7291 miles, 787-10 range is 9438.6 miles. Should be able to do it full no problem.


You sure? Boeing's website gives a range of 7400 miles/6430nm/11910km. But in practice I'm not sure the 78X can make anywhere near that, its performance is better than the A333 but not by much more. EZE is one of BA's longest routes, exceeded only by SCL.


A quick google says 15,190km and Wikipedia is the source. Now of course wikipedia is wikipedia but I wouldn't of thought they would be that far wrong but It looks like they are way out in accordance with Boeings Website.
No bumps. No bangs - Concorde
 
User avatar
MrHMSH
Posts: 2465
Joined: Sat Oct 12, 2013 7:32 pm

Re: British Airways B787-10 Routes

Wed May 17, 2017 12:53 pm

Arion640 wrote:
MrHMSH wrote:
Arion640 wrote:

You are correct, but London to Argentina is 7291 miles, 787-10 range is 9438.6 miles. Should be able to do it full no problem.


You sure? Boeing's website gives a range of 7400 miles/6430nm/11910km. But in practice I'm not sure the 78X can make anywhere near that, its performance is better than the A333 but not by much more. EZE is one of BA's longest routes, exceeded only by SCL.


A quick google says 15,190km and Wikipedia is the source. Now of course wikipedia is wikipedia but I wouldn't of thought they would be that far wrong but It looks like they are way out in accordance with Boeings Website.


I am almost certain that those figures are for the 787-9, which we already know has the range to make any current BA route (it flies to SCL which is the longest). But the 787-10 is not a true long hauler. Wikipedia gives a range of 6430nm/1108km, which is virtually the same as the ones I've given. You can use it on longer routes, but there's little point when the A350 and 787-9 will be on hand.
 
MileHFL400
Posts: 658
Joined: Sat Dec 05, 2015 11:42 am

Re: British Airways B787-10 Routes

Wed May 17, 2017 1:16 pm

Interesting that no one has mentioned NBO?
Thanks and best Regards
AA
 
Beatyair
Posts: 856
Joined: Mon Feb 10, 2014 9:09 pm

Re: British Airways B787-10 Routes

Thu May 18, 2017 1:30 am

The east coast of North America, Caribbean islands, and the north
Mediterranean

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos