Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

username21
Topic Author

New Alaska Airlines Flying from Paine Field

Wed May 17, 2017 5:05 pm

https://blog.alaskaair.com/alaska-airlines/news/paine-field-flying/

“We’re not quite ready to share details of the routes,” says John Kirby, Alaska’s vice president of capacity planning. “But I can tell you they won’t be limited to short, regional flights. We’re talking daily, nonstop flights to some of our most popular destinations.”

BoeingGuy

Re: New Alaska Airlines Flying from Paine Field

Wed May 17, 2017 5:13 pm

Let's hope they include SJC. I live in Mukilteo, so I personally have mixed feelings about airline service at PAE. If it's limited to 16 flights a day, as the Seattle Times indicates, I'm sure we can live with that little additional noise. The convenience will be great though.

SeaDoo

Wed May 17, 2017 5:20 pm

So I just woke up and saw this: http://www.heraldnet.com/news/alaska-ai ... t-in-2018/

Went to airliners and see this is already being discussed.

I could see flights to PDX which would then allow onward connections. I have heard GEG, repeatedly, but don't know if there would be much demand.

Not as all inclusive list, I would like to also see KOA. However, I would expect OGG to beat out KOA. LAS wouldn't suprise me. I could also see SFO, and LAX. Obviously ANC is a big destination from SEA. I wonder if AS would try ANC from PAE, at least in the busy summer season.

flyoregon

Wed May 17, 2017 5:25 pm

SeaDoo wrote:
So I just woke up and saw this: http://www.heraldnet.com/news/alaska-ai ... t-in-2018/

Went to airliners and see this is already being discussed.

I could see flights to PDX which would then allow onward connections. I have heard GEG, repeatedly, but don't know if there would be much demand.

Not as all inclusive list, I would like to also see KOA. However, I would expect OGG to beat out KOA. LAS wouldn't suprise me. I could also see SFO, and LAX. Obviously ANC is a big destination from SEA. I wonder if AS would try ANC from PAE, at least in the busy summer season.

PDX seems obvious to me allowing for further connection opportunities, ANC, GEG, SFO, LAX, SAN, LAS, and even DAL make sense.

WaywardMemphian

Wed May 17, 2017 5:32 pm

Wonder how Southwest feels about this considering their past dream of service at Paine?

32andBelow

Wed May 17, 2017 5:42 pm

I'd guess LAX, PDX, ANC, SAN, SFO

cosyr

Wed May 17, 2017 5:44 pm

I wonder if they would also consider PAE-SEA? CO used to fly HOU-IAH several flights a day. It could be a great way to tailor to local loyalists.

TWFlyGuy

Wed May 17, 2017 5:48 pm

I'm not as familiar with the city, but would it not be more wise to build a rail line to allow those commuters to avoid the traffic?

username21
Topic Author

Wed May 17, 2017 5:48 pm

The Seattle Times says a max of 16 flights a day from PAE.

Noise

Wed May 17, 2017 5:49 pm

cosyr wrote:
I wonder if they would also consider PAE-SEA? CO used to fly HOU-IAH several flights a day. It could be a great way to tailor to local loyalists.

Funny...that would be even more ridiculous than the San Francisco-Sonoma route UA flies.

berari

Wed May 17, 2017 5:52 pm

ORD to connect Boeing to its headquarters.

Fiedman

Wed May 17, 2017 5:56 pm

Is there even a Terminal Building at PAE right now or would one have to be built?
Westjet - Canada's National Low-fare Airline

HPRamper

Wed May 17, 2017 6:01 pm

Fiedman wrote:
Is there even a Terminal Building at PAE right now or would one have to be built?

One is being built.

With only nine daily flights at first I find it hard to believe we will see anything surprising.
I'm predicting something like:
3x PDX
2x GEG
1x SFO/LAX/LAS
1x ANC or BOI
Further down the list in likelihood, imo, are PHX and HNL.

teriyaki

Wed May 17, 2017 6:01 pm

One is being built. Coming in for a landing would be great fun at PAE as you overfly the delivery line-up outside the boeing factory.

32andBelow

Wed May 17, 2017 6:04 pm

teriyaki wrote:
One is being built. Coming in for a landing would be great fun at PAE as you overfly the delivery line-up outside the boeing factory.

You already overfly the great scene at Boeing Field into SEA!

ScottB

Wed May 17, 2017 6:09 pm

WaywardMemphian wrote:
Wonder how Southwest feels about this considering their past dream of service at Paine?

Southwest wanted to serve BFI, not PAE.

username21 wrote:
“We’re not quite ready to share details of the routes,” says John Kirby, Alaska’s vice president of capacity planning. “But I can tell you they won’t be limited to short, regional flights. We’re talking daily, nonstop flights to some of our most popular destinations.”

"short, regional flights" = PDX and maybe, possibly SEA (but I doubt SEA). "daily, nonstop flights to some of our most popular destinations" I take to mean SFO, LAX, and LAS -- the latter two as a way to keep G4 out of those markets, IMO

ooslc

Wed May 17, 2017 6:10 pm

My guess would be 4x PDX, 3x LAX, 2x SFO
    Ironically, I don't work for OO anymore, and I'm not in SLC anymore. PDX based, aviation enthusiast, non-aviation worker.

WaywardMemphian

Wed May 17, 2017 6:18 pm

ScottB wrote:
WaywardMemphian wrote:

Southwest wanted to

Sorry, got the two mixed up.

TheZ

Wed May 17, 2017 6:21 pm

The way things have been going, I'll believe it when they break ground on the terminal.
If you have to say "pun intended," it's not a good enough pun.

rgreenftm

Wed May 17, 2017 6:26 pm

As long as we are making predictions-

2x PDX, 2x LAX, 2x SFO, 1x LAS, 1x PHX and 1x SAN

HPRamper

Wed May 17, 2017 6:27 pm

TheZ wrote:
The way things have been going, I'll believe it when they break ground on the terminal.

The grading permit was already granted a couple of months ago and every appeal has been shut down by Snohomish County judges. I think even the NIMBYs have accepted it at this juncture.

WaywardMemphian

Wed May 17, 2017 6:28 pm

Alaska saying they would follow Southwest to Boeing Field killed that idea right? What if Southwest revisits this idea if Alaska flights at Payne come to pass. Will other airlines demand access to Paine Field just as Alaska did to kill the Southwest idea at BFI. I get that this is a private money funded terminal but so was Southwest's at Boeing.

oosnowrat

Wed May 17, 2017 6:28 pm

TWFlyGuy wrote:
I'm not as familiar with the city, but would it not be more wise to build a rail line to allow those commuters to avoid the traffic?

No.

HPRamper

Wed May 17, 2017 6:31 pm

TWFlyGuy wrote:

They are building light rail that will connect SEA to a large chunk of the metro, but there will be nowhere near enough parking as the designers plan to only supply enough for work commuters into the city and expect leisure users of the rail to take buses or Uber to the train stations. Uh huh, yep.

Also the cost to build an entire terminal at PAE is dwarfed by the costs of the light rail line.

Tailwinds

Wed May 17, 2017 6:56 pm

HPRamper wrote:
TWFlyGuy wrote:

They are building light rail that will connect SEA to a large chunk of the metro, but there will be nowhere near enough parking as the designers plan to only supply enough for work commuters into the city and expect leisure users of the rail to take buses or Uber to the train stations.

The planned time for Everett to SeaTac is something like 95 minutes by light rail. It's competitive against buses, against driving during peak rush hour, and will only get more competitive as traffic worsens before the 2036 EIS date, but there's no way around the fact that it's a long ride to a big airport that itself has long lines. I'm guessing the Snohomish County residents are leaving home about 3 hours prior to departure. For that kind of time they could probably already be landing at their destination if they went to PAE instead.

I'm wondering what the options for growth in PAE are. They're building two gates, a private company is building and funding them, the county is leasing them, and presumably Alaska is leasing them from the county. But what happens when WN wants in, or AS wants to grow?

rwsea

Wed May 17, 2017 6:59 pm

TWFlyGuy wrote:

They actually are already. But it's still a distance of 30-40 miles between the two airports. The rail line (which won't be complete for 15+ years, btw) is actually planned to have a stop at PAE, but the ride to SEA will be well over an hour.

gsg013

Why no trans-con's such as EWR or JFK?

username21
Topic Author

No mention of any Q400 flying to PAE--interesting that PDX would be e175/mainline.

dc10lover

Wed May 17, 2017 7:22 pm

Immediately they will need a larger terminal with more than 2 gates. You know it will be full very fast.
Why endure the nightmare and congestion of LAX when BUR, LGB, ONT & SNA is so much easier to fly in and out of. Same with OAK & SJC when it comes to SFO.

SANFan

Wed May 17, 2017 7:23 pm

From a CNBC article on Feb 7, 2013, entitled "AS Takes Next Step in FAA Authorization for Payne Field Flights":
Paine Field currently has no adequate passenger terminal, which would need to be built before operations by any airline could begin.

Summary of proposed service for the first year — 35 round-trip flights a week:

City Pair...............Weekly Frequency... Aircraft
Everett-Honolulu.........4......................... 737-800
Everett -Las Vegas.... 7......................... 737-800
Everett -Maui..............3......................... 737-800
Everett -Portland........21....................... Q400

Summary of proposed service by the fifth year — 49 round-trip flights a week:
City Pair............. Weekly Frequency....Aircraft
Everett -Honolulu.........4....................737-800
Everett -Las Vegas ..... 7.................. 737-800
Everett -Los Angeles ...7...................737-800
Everett -Maui .............. 3.................. 737-800
Everett -Phoenix ......... 4.................. 737-800
Everett -Portland ........ 21................. Q400
Everett -San Diego ..... 3.................. 737-800

Obviously this was several years ago but it might give some guidance as to what AAG might be thinking about.

This will be interesting to see develop.

bb

dc10lover

Wed May 17, 2017 7:25 pm

WaywardMemphian wrote:

Definitely look for Southwest to add flights. Las Vegas & Phoenix.
Why endure the nightmare and congestion of LAX when BUR, LGB, ONT & SNA is so much easier to fly in and out of. Same with OAK & SJC when it comes to SFO.

HPRamper

Wed May 17, 2017 7:33 pm

dc10lover wrote:
WaywardMemphian wrote:

Definitely look for Southwest to add flights. Las Vegas & Phoenix.

Maybe, maybe not. Depending on the metro, in many cases WN prefers to consolidate at one airport in a two-airport market.

PlanesNTrains

Wed May 17, 2017 7:36 pm

ScottB wrote:
WaywardMemphian wrote:

Southwest wanted to serve BFI, not PAE.

username21 wrote:

"short, regional flights" = PDX and maybe, possibly SEA (but I doubt SEA). "daily, nonstop flights to some of our most popular destinations" I take to mean SFO, LAX, and LAS -- the latter two as a way to keep G4 out of those markets, IMO

I agree. Anywhere that G4 might go is worth them sticking a flight on. With no Q's, the sky's the limit.
-Dave

MAX’d out on MAX threads. If you are starting a thread, and it’s about the MAX - stop. There’s already a thread that covers it.

PlanesNTrains

Wed May 17, 2017 7:40 pm

TWFlyGuy wrote:

You could have a child tomorrow and they'd be in college before it reaches Everett, and that's on the revised "five years sooner" plan. Hard to imagine that from passage of Sound Move to completion to Everett will have taken FORTY YEARS.
-Dave

MAX’d out on MAX threads. If you are starting a thread, and it’s about the MAX - stop. There’s already a thread that covers it.

SANFan

Wed May 17, 2017 7:55 pm

I remember the article that I referenced above was in response to, I believe, Allegiant who wanted to start service at Payne. The NIMBYs went wild and nothing came out of any of that. (I wouldn't be surprised if Spirit were also interested in Payne, even though they finally did enter the SEA-market last year via SEA/TAC.)

My personal picks, as of now, assuming 9 is the number of daily departures that AS will be allowed, would be:
>PDX 3x dly w EMJs;
>GEG 1x dly w EMJ;
>SFO 1x dly w 737;
>SJC 1x dly w EMJ;
>LAX 1x dly w 737;
>LAS 1x dly w EMJ;
>SAN 1x dly w EMJ.

There would be plenty of online connections possible, including Hawaii, via these hubs and focus cities; I would also expect there would be a good amount of local traffic in each of these markets. Any of these EMJ-routes would see 737s at any point when the traffic would support it. If more flights are later permitted, then I could see nonstops to HNL & OGG and ???

bb

BoeingGuy

Wed May 17, 2017 8:02 pm

SANFan wrote:
I remember the article that I referenced above was in response to, I believe, Allegiant who wanted to start service at Payne. The NIMBYs went wild and nothing came out of any of that. (I wouldn't be surprised if Spirit were also interested in Payne, even though they finally did enter the SEA-market last year via SEA/TAC.)

My personal picks, as of now, assuming 9 is the number of daily departures that AS will be allowed, would be:
>PDX 3x dly w EMJs;
>GEG 1x dly w EMJ;
>SFO 1x dly w 737;
>SJC 1x dly w EMJ;
>LAX 1x dly w 737;
>LAS 1x dly w EMJ;
>SAN 1x dly w EMJ.

There would be plenty of online connections possible, including Hawaii, via these hubs and focus cities; I would also expect there would be a good amount of local traffic in each of these markets. Any of these EMJ-routes would see 737s at any point when the traffic would support it. If more flights are later permitted, then I could see nonstops to HNL & OGG and ???

bb

Good predictions. It's Paine, not Payne. ;)

Bald1983

Wed May 17, 2017 8:06 pm

BoeingGuy wrote:
Let's hope they include SJC. I live in Mukilteo, so I personally have mixed feelings about airline service at PAE. If it's limited to 16 flights a day, as the Seattle Times indicates, I'm sure we can live with that little additional noise. The convenience will be great though.

I would like to see Paine Field become a regular airport. I seriously doubt that the quality of life in Snohomish County will become unbearable. If we had the same culture in 1803 as we do now, Lewis and Clark would still be waiting to launch their expedition.

SANFan

Wed May 17, 2017 8:08 pm

Pardon me for this off-topic detour: any AS insiders have any news about when AAG might be announcing the 3 new MEX-routes? I believe other cx (e.g. B6?) have announced details of their new Mexico City routes so I assume the required government approvals have been issued.

Now back to the Paine Field discussion...

Ooooops.... thanx for the correction BoeingGuy! Paine, Paine, Paine, Paine, Paine, Paine.

bb

wnflyguy

Wed May 17, 2017 9:30 pm

Alaska assumes nobody else is going to request any of the first 9 available flights.
With the new battle between AS and WN.
And the fact WN jumped on the small number of flights available at LGB I'm sure it's only a matter of time before a WN proposal is Released for PAE service.
Heck I wouldn't even put it past DL to put out a proposal for PAE service.
DL could easily propose service to PDX,SLC,MSP and new powerhouse LAX.

Frontier,Spirit or Allegiant still all could put in service requests also.

I will be surprised if Alaskaair ends up being the lone airline at PAE.

Flyguy
My Wings are clipped just another Retired Airline person. The Ultimate Armchair out of the loop airline industry geek. Aloha Mr Hand!

HPRamper

Wed May 17, 2017 10:01 pm

wnflyguy wrote:
Alaska assumes nobody else is going to request any of the first 9 available flights.
And the fact WN jumped on the small number of flights available at LGB I'm sure it's only a matter of time before a WN proposal is Released for PAE service.

Flyguy

Most airlines won't want to invest in infrastructure at PAE just to have a flight or even two, unless they feel like contracting with AS to do handling above and below wing. That's sure not going to be DL, for one. Allegiant is a weird one because they usually don't do daily flights, more like a couple per week.

frmrCapCadet

Wed May 17, 2017 10:21 pm

WN to Oakland and Denver would connect to most of their network.
Buffet: the airline business...has eaten up capital...like..no other (business)

flybynight

Wed May 17, 2017 10:44 pm

You'd think DL would want to jump in. If for no other reason to p!ss off AS :)
Heia Norge!

flybynight

Wed May 17, 2017 10:45 pm

But great news for me who happens to live in Snohomish. Wouldn't a quick flight back to SEA be part of it?
Heia Norge!

32andBelow

Wed May 17, 2017 10:52 pm

HPRamper wrote:
wnflyguy wrote:

Flyguy

Most airlines won't want to invest in infrastructure at PAE just to have a flight or even two, unless they feel like contracting with AS to do handling above and below wing. That's sure not going to be DL, for one. Allegiant is a weird one because they usually don't do daily flights, more like a couple per week.

Im sure AS will just open it a as a McGee station.

Midwestindy

Wed May 17, 2017 11:46 pm

Why is AS so willing to invest so quickly in this market but not others?
Status for 2019/2020: AAdvantage Platinum, Delta Gold, Southwest A-List

SLCUT2777

Thu May 18, 2017 12:01 am

32andBelow wrote:
teriyaki wrote:

You already overfly the great scene at Boeing Field into SEA!

If this is allowed, why not now allow WN to have a similar exclusive deal at BFI as they proposed 12 years ago and were promptly shot down by King County and the Port Authority?
DELTA Air Lines; The Only Way To Fly from Salt Lake City; Let the Western Heritage always be with Delta!

TWA772LR

Thu May 18, 2017 12:32 am

flybynight wrote:
You'd think DL would want to jump in. If for no other reason to p!ss off AS :)

I smell a new Pacific gateway! :biggrin: :biggrin: :stirthepot:
When wasn't America great?

The thoughts and opinions shared under this username are mine and are not influenced by my employer.

RWA380

Thu May 18, 2017 12:52 am

Midwestindy wrote:
Why is AS so willing to invest so quickly in this market but not others?

Brand recognition, AAG's largest base of frequent flyers, loyal customers galore. It could only be AAG to PAE, if other carriers wish to build their own terminal to service a flight or two, then maybe they can join, but there is no reason to believe any other carrier would have a chance up at PAE.
707 717 720 727-1/2 737-1/2/3/4/5/6/7/8/9 747-1/2/3/4 757-2/3 767-2/3/4 777-2/3 DC8 DC9 MD80/2/7/8 D10-1/3/4 M11 L10-1/2/5 A300/310/320
AA AC AQ AS BA BD BN CO CS DL EA EZ HA HG HP KL KN MP MW NK NW OZ PA PS QX RC RH RW SA TG TW UA US VS WA WC WN WP YS 8M

seat1a

Thu May 18, 2017 1:18 am

Why not ORD, JFK, in addition to LAX and SFO? Presume Alaska has the data, though, on where their Snohomish/Everett customers will be traveling to.

grbauc

Thu May 18, 2017 1:21 am

Noise wrote:
cosyr wrote:

Funny...that would be even more ridiculous than the San Francisco-Sonoma route UA flies.

Ridiculous really I miss the old UA SNA LAX flights.... :biggrin:

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos