Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

stl07
Topic Author

Why do airlines fly routes at the same time?

Wed May 24, 2017 7:28 pm

I have always wondered why the same airline will fly routes at the same time (besides hub to hub for more frequency). It seems it just gives other airlines more business.
Ex.
WN STL-Bay Area(SFO,OAK) 2x daily both flights leave at 1:50
as opposed to UA also 2x daily but morning and evening

Madrid-Barcelona shuttle 2x on the hour instead of every 30 minutes
Last edited by stl07 on Wed May 24, 2017 7:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Instead of typing in "mods", consider using the report function.
Love how every "travel blogger" says they will never fly AA/Ethihad again and then says it again and again on subsequent flights.

32andBelow

Re: Why do airlines fly routes at the same time?

Wed May 24, 2017 7:30 pm

Many reasons.
1. Getting people where they want to go at a popular time. Early morning out, late evening back.
2. To connect at their hubs
3. They are separate companies and one company may start at time 1 and company b starts at time 2 but then company b switches for whatever reason, company 1 has no reason to change their flight cus it works for them.
4. If it's the same airline it could be because some times of year they need more capacity and in the case of WN it is the only type of aircraft available.

Jshank83

Wed May 24, 2017 7:42 pm

stl07 wrote:
I have always wondered why airlines fly routes at the same time (besides hub to hub for more frequency). It seems it just gives other airlines more business.
Ex.
UA also 2x daily but morning and evening

As someone who has STL as his home airport and travels to the bay area frequently (and can use either airport), this is super annoying. I have had days where they are even at the gates next to each other. I don't get why they don't do a morning and an evening or at least keep one at 1:50 and move the other one to 5 pm or later. UA does have a morning and evening flight but I like WN better. Like others mentioned I am sure there is a good reason for it (connections) but it still annoys me. Coming back it is the same way. One leaves at 7 am and one at 9 am. They finally are spreading the return flights out a little in their newest couple schedules. I would like to be able to leave STL after work and come home on Sunday/Monday without getting up super early and still flying them nonstop. My next couple trips out there I am doing layovers because of the timing.

airbazar

Wed May 24, 2017 7:46 pm

Although this may not a factor in your examples, there is also the issue of slots and night curfews.

Flighty

Wed May 24, 2017 7:59 pm

Interesting question. A number of reasons. One, both airlines may be jockeying to be before, or after each other. Planners are at times keenly aware of their competitor. An airline with a superior schedule (whatever that is) will often win the business. Another thing is, if I don't like that you are flying to my hub at 10AM, maybe I will schedule a bigger plane than yours at 10AM too, just to "compete with you" and perhaps convince you to leave.

aklrno

Wed May 24, 2017 10:31 pm

NZ run their North American west coasts flight to Auckland all in the evening around the same time. That gives plenty of time for inbound connects from elsewhere in North America to get to the coast, and arrives in NZ in the early morning for connections in the Australasian area. The planes can make a round trip to Australia if needed, and be back for a late night departure back to North America. Eastbound the same reasoning, leave late in the evening for inbound connections and arrive in time for onward connections.

No other times make any sense at all. Good use of the aircraft and best options for passengers.

MaxTrimm

Wed May 24, 2017 10:36 pm

BA flies two HKG-LHR's 20 minutes apart around midnight.

ojjunior

Wed May 24, 2017 11:09 pm

Copa has 2 of its frequencies PTY-GRU departing exactly at the same time. Daily.

ASQ400

Wed May 24, 2017 11:12 pm

aklrno wrote:
NZ run their North American west coasts flight to Auckland all in the evening around the same time. That gives plenty of time for inbound connects from elsewhere in North America to get to the coast, and arrives in NZ in the early morning for connections in the Australasian area. The planes can make a round trip to Australia if needed, and be back for a late night departure back to North America. Eastbound the same reasoning, leave late in the evening for inbound connections and arrive in time for onward connections.

No other times make any sense at all. Good use of the aircraft and best options for passengers.

There's a difference. They aren't flying 2 planes out of the same North American airport at the same time.
TLV, BRU, ZRH, CDG, FRA, EWR, JFK, DEN, SFO, AUS, RNO, SEA, YYC, YYZ, IAH, ATL, IAD, DCA, ORD, SJC, SNA

drgmobile

Wed May 24, 2017 11:47 pm

32andBelow wrote:
Many reasons.
1. Getting people where they want to go at a popular time. Early morning out, late evening back.
2. To connect at their hubs
3. They are separate companies and one company may start at time 1 and company b starts at time 2 but then company b switches for whatever reason, company 1 has no reason to change their flight cus it works for them.
4. If it's the same airline it could be because some times of year they need more capacity and in the case of WN it is the only type of aircraft available.

5. Spite (the competitive kind)

As Flighty mentioned, sometimes it's about one-upping a competitor. When you see an airline introduce a flight to a completely new, unserved route and then a larger or more dominant carrier comes in and slaps a flight right on top on the same schedule, it's not reasons 1-4. I seem to recall Northwest did this a lot to protect "it's turf" in the U.S. Midwest, but there are plenty of examples with other big carriers, in the U.S. and elsewhere.

berari

Wed May 24, 2017 11:53 pm

Jshank83 wrote:
stl07 wrote:
I have always wondered why airlines fly routes at the same time (besides hub to hub for more frequency). It seems it just gives other airlines more business.
Ex.

As someone who has STL as his home airport and travels to the bay area frequently (and can use either airport), this is super annoying. I have had days where they are even at the gates next to each other. I don't get why they don't do a morning and an evening or at least keep one at 1:50 and move the other one to 5 pm or later. UA does have a morning and evening flight but I like WN better. Like others mentioned I am sure there is a good reason for it (connections) but it still annoys me. Coming back it is the same way. One leaves at 7 am and one at 9 am. They finally are spreading the return flights out a little in their newest couple schedules. I would like to be able to leave STL after work and come home on Sunday/Monday without getting up super early and still flying them nonstop. My next couple trips out there I am doing layovers because of the timing.

Likely that SFO and OAK flights by WN cater to specific markets that both require that departure time, and not for the traveler that wants to fly out of either airport to meet his/her travel flexibilty.

berari

Wed May 24, 2017 11:54 pm

Timing, among many other things, is everything. You may recall the case with Westjet spying on Air Canada through backdoor systems to determine flights with highest yields and/or loads and adjusting their departure times accordingly. Over time, airlines adjust their schedules to meet optimal timings that are based on connections, travel patterns, aircraft availability etc.

Jshank83

Thu May 25, 2017 1:04 am

berari wrote:
Jshank83 wrote:
stl07 wrote:
Ex.

Likely that SFO and OAK flights by WN cater to specific markets that both require that departure time, and not for the traveler that wants to fly out of either airport to meet his/her travel flexibilty.

To be fair to WN it seems like a lot of the 2 oclockish departures are for markets they only serve once a day from STL. So it makes sense in that capacity. I just count the bay area as one big market (right or wrong) so I feel like they should schedule it like they do their other 2 flights/day per market schedules and not have it at the same time. All that said I am sure there is a reason for it or they wouldn't do it that way. My hope is that in the future one of those airports goes to 2x daily and it then is forces to be spread out (like it does around Christmas).

Nami

Thu May 25, 2017 1:31 am

There will be 3 daily flights between HEL-NRT (2x AY, 1x JL) this summer that are scheduled to depart within just 35 minutes. Given it's NRT we're talking about I think the additional frequency by AY was mandated by available slots more than anything else but achieving the most effective rotation plays a role as well.

pa747sp

Thu May 25, 2017 2:53 am

Time zones affect the flights as well. Take NYC - LON route. Most airlines do the eastbound overnight and the westbound before lunchtime. If they did eastbound in the morning the flight would arrive late at night in LON, with few onward flights because of curfew, and also less inbound connection at NYC. By all leaving in the evening they attract the most inbound and outbound connections. This then means that the a/c is in LON the next morning, and to optimise utilisation it needs to be turned around and sent back to NYC. Hence most NYC LON traffic tends to be around the same time.
Nothing seems as good since the VC10.

ahj2000

Thu May 25, 2017 3:02 am

ojjunior wrote:
Copa has 2 of its frequencies PTY-GRU departing exactly at the same time. Daily.

I see a 15:24 and a 15:42..maybe you got them confused for the same?
-Andrés Juánez

wjcandee

Thu May 25, 2017 4:22 am

Because that's when they think that their customers want to fly?

ZKOXA

Thu May 25, 2017 4:23 am

The strangest I have come across is the route between Da Nang to Hanoi. Between 8:10pm and 9:10pm departure, at least 3 flights on Vietnam Airlines operate with the most 4 on Tuesdays and Wednesdays. For example on Wednesday, flights leave at 8:30pm, 8:50pm, 8:55pm and 9:10pm. I would really like to know why? The route is busy but why are there so many flights leaving in this window?

Also involving Da Nang, daily on Vietjet Air, flights from Da Nang to Ho Chi Minh City between 11:40pm and 11:50pm, there are 4 flights daily.

ZKOXA

directorguy

Thu May 25, 2017 6:40 am

Some airlines schedule their domestic routes very early in the morning or very late at night, in order to free up the middle of the day for international flying. Egyptair until a decade ago scheduled the majority of its domestic routes that way until they invested in a dozen Embraer jets mainly for domestic flying. Perhaps VN is doing a similar thing?

hongkongflyer

Thu May 25, 2017 6:46 am

ojjunior wrote:

If the loading is really low, they can always merge them into 1 easily

LupineChemist

Thu May 25, 2017 7:27 am

Nami wrote:
There will be 3 daily flights between HEL-NRT (2x AY, 1x JL) this summer that are scheduled to depart within just 35 minutes. Given it's NRT we're talking about I think the additional frequency by AY was mandated by available slots more than anything else but achieving the most effective rotation plays a role as well.

And remember, JL and AY are part of the same JV to make it even more incredible that there is no competition.

zkncj

Thu May 25, 2017 7:28 am

ASQ400 wrote:
aklrno wrote:

There's a difference. They aren't flying 2 planes out of the same North American airport at the same time.

Very close to though, for an long haul route.

LAX-AKL NZ1 9.30pm 77W Daily
LAX-AKL NZ5 10:30pm 77W Daily

Bongodog1964

Thu May 25, 2017 7:52 am

MaxTrimm wrote:

These flights arrive at LHR at the earliest possible time after the night curfew, so they cannot depart HKG any earlier, to depart later would make them more inconvenient as they would be leaving in the iddle of the night.

jamesontheroad

Thu May 25, 2017 8:18 am

Away from aviation, one of the most unusual scheduling quirks I've seen in railways is in Russia, where two (semi) high speed 'Sapsan' trains on the Moscow - St. Petersburg depart every two to three hours, but within ten minutes of each other.

It allows the two departures to call at alternate immediate cities, and therefore shorten the overall end to end journey time for the majority of intercity passengers.

I'm not aware of this happening on any other high speed rail corridor.

shantahan

Thu May 25, 2017 8:23 am

EVA Airways runs LAX-TPE daily at 1205am and 1230am. My guess there is demand.

unrave

Thu May 25, 2017 9:50 am

One of the more extreme examples of this phenomenon can be seen on the LAX-SYD route where five airlines (QF, VA, AA, DL, UA) operate around the same time with less than an hour separating the first arrival from the last.
17April2019: RIP Jet Airways

mwhcvt

Thu May 25, 2017 10:17 am

MaxTrimm wrote:

This is one that's always stood out to me as if you look at that route you find actually you've got the following all touching down within about 45 minute window in the morning rush and there is usually a 3rd CX77W not all that far behind wave of flights it's just amazing

BA380
BA77W
CX77W
CX77W
VS789
Must think up a new one soon, slow moving brain trying to get into gear ;)

ojjunior

Thu May 25, 2017 11:24 am

ahj2000 wrote:
ojjunior wrote:

Yeah you're right... but still pretty much same time, isn't it?

jco613

Thu May 25, 2017 12:23 pm

Wn does this on a few routes, I'll see flights leaving within an hour of another. For example I am flipping fll-TPA next week. There is a 6:30am, 2:15pm, 4:25pm, 5:30pm, 6:25pm, and 8:15pm. They will do fll-Dca and fll-iad at roughly the same time starting next month.

estorilm

Thu May 25, 2017 12:45 pm

Interesting subject - I've always wondered this (I work basically directly under the 3 parallel runway approaches/departures at IAD).

I've often noted that you can have 2, sometimes even 3 aircraft operated by different airlines (almost always the same type as well) lined up back-to-back going to the same destination! Many of the European and Middle Eastern destinations seem to fall into this category. Generally I can recall them arriving at similar times, though it seems that by the end of a long flight they're usually ~20 min apart.

Do these flights ring a bell? I'm not nearly as well-versed on scheduling as most of a.net'ers

par13del

Thu May 25, 2017 12:55 pm

Based on the OP's WN examples, it can also be an operational need where the a/c and crew leaving STL are needed at the destination airports for ongoing flights and the pax convenience on leaving STL is less important than the ongoing operations.
Now I am not saying that the STL pax are not important, just that there may be other concerns, they could have just one flight, as it stands, it is probably more convenient for the operation as a whole to have two flights.
Just an alternative theory.........]

par13del

Thu May 25, 2017 12:56 pm

Deleted duplicate post

yowza

Thu May 25, 2017 1:08 pm

Some of this is down to vacation seasonality. For example in the northern winter, flights are often turned into double departures for the purposes of adding lift with whatever frames are available rather than up-gauging. Routes like YYZ-PUJ by TS will have departures leaving within a few minutes of each other.

YOWza

SRT75

Thu May 25, 2017 1:35 pm

Some "duplicate" flights may be due to the fact that the airline doesn't have a "right sized" aircraft. If you've got about 200 pax per day between markets at a particular time your options may be 2x (mostly full) 737-X or one pretty much empty 777-200 (especially with the phase-out of 757-200s from fleets). It's probably more economical and a better fit to simply run two close together 737-X flights because: cheaper; you can always cancel one flight on a light day; and you need your larger aircraft for other routes.

BN727227Ultra

Thu May 25, 2017 1:48 pm

Last year, I flew the middle of three SLC-ATL red-eyes leaving within ninety minutes of each other (and they were all full!) Repositioning. Too bad one wasn't a 330, since I had sprung for F :-)

tonystan

Thu May 25, 2017 2:02 pm

You must remember that airlines generally operate in competition with each other. They don't share a route, they compete on it and therefore will aim to operate the most competitive schedules for a given city pair hence why so many end up with similar flight times.

What does annoy me a little is when certain airline groups who do in fact share a route end up with similar pairings. Aer Lingus and BA on the LHR - DUB/BHD routes for example. Both of flights at very similar times despite all flights being code shared. It gets a bit annoying that it's not spaced out a bit more.
My views are my own and do not reflect any other person or organisation.

sfjeff

Thu May 25, 2017 2:30 pm

Northwest Airlink used to fly 6 SF340 flights a day to XNA in three groups, with each group being two flights 20 minutes apart, to connect to their three banks in MEM. Later they used BAe 146s (I think) and mainline NW DC9s but only had three flights.
Jeff in Málaga

nighthawk

Thu May 25, 2017 2:34 pm

While there can be a number of operational reasons for this, many of which have been mentioned, there is another factor that no-one has mentioned. There's a term for it in economics, which I cant remember right now, but basically its to avoid splitting the market.

Take for example two flights, one operating in the morning, and one operating in the evening.

The morning flight appeals more to those who would prefer to fly in the morning, and the evening flight appeals more to those that prefer to fly in the evening. You've split the market in half, so your possible catchment has decreased.

If, however, you schedule both flights for the same time, people have no choice but to fly when you say, and so timing ceases to become a decisive factor and instead you can target the entire market. You can then compete with the other airline on other means, such as price, service etc, rather than just on time.

Rdh3e

Thu May 25, 2017 2:51 pm

This would indicate that WN has decided that travellers for whom the airports are interchangeable are a small portion of the total. WN has chosen what they view as the most optimal once-per-day pattern in each market with the knowledge it's the best for each individual group of travellers.

airzona11

Thu May 25, 2017 6:57 pm

At SFO, WN only has so much gate space. For the STL - OAK the that plane and crew might be needed else where. WN is the dominant carrier in the STL and OAK markets.

nighthawk wrote:
While there can be a number of operational reasons for this, many of which have been mentioned, there is another factor that no-one has mentioned. There's a term for it in economics, which I cant remember right now, but basically its to avoid splitting the market.

Take for example two flights, one operating in the morning, and one operating in the evening.

The morning flight appeals more to those who would prefer to fly in the morning, and the evening flight appeals more to those that prefer to fly in the evening. You've split the market in half, so your possible catchment has decreased.

If, however, you schedule both flights for the same time, people have no choice but to fly when you say, and so timing ceases to become a decisive factor and instead you can target the entire market. You can then compete with the other airline on other means, such as price, service etc, rather than just on time.

Good point. And in the thread topic as it relates to UA, they are not the dominant player in STL and dont have service to OAK, so they compete on timing for those who have to get their early and leave later.

simairlinenet

Thu May 25, 2017 8:52 pm

The classic economic example is called Hotelling's Game. Game theory explains that it's optimal for companies to locate at the center of demand, but not for society as a whole.

More details here: https://mindyourdecisions.com/blog/2008 ... -hotelling’s-game-or-why-gas-stations-have-competitors-nearby/

aklrno

Fri May 26, 2017 1:13 am

ASQ400 wrote:
aklrno wrote:

Yes they are. LAX-AKL NZ1 and NZ5 about 1 hour apart. Close enough to the same time for me.

brentclark2003

Tue May 30, 2017 10:06 am

Hello, I don't know where I can create a suitable topic, or this is suitable thread to ask or not. But last night is my first time to fly as customer by Vietjet air. I was so scared of accident or everything else. In the end of flight. I can feel the middle part of the plane shaking and suddenly all the light of 8 exit doors turn on. But there'se nothing after that, the plane landed quite ok. I want to ask it is a sign of any mistake or that is completly normal?

tonystan

Tue May 30, 2017 11:16 am

brentclark2003 wrote:
Hello, I don't know where I can create a suitable topic, or this is suitable thread to ask or not. But last night is my first time to fly as customer by Vietjet air. I was so scared of accident or everything else. In the end of flight. I can feel the middle part of the plane shaking and suddenly all the light of 8 exit doors turn on. But there'se nothing after that, the plane landed quite ok. I want to ask it is a sign of any mistake or that is completly normal?

All Airbus do it. The shudder is the landing gear going down and the emergency lights illuminate once they are fully engaged.
My views are my own and do not reflect any other person or organisation.

knope2001

Tue May 30, 2017 1:53 pm

Specific to the OP’s question, Southwest runs hub banks in St Louis, and both flights are part of a (primarily) westbound bank.

Around 1:00pm there are arrivals from places such as BOS, DCA, ECP, MCO, PIT, ATL, CLE, MKE, BWI
Around 1:45pm there are departures to places such as OAK, SFO, SAN, SEA, AUS, LAX, MCI, OMA, PDX

Southwest runs six pretty well-defined banks through the day at STL

Early morning
Arrivals from places like OKC, TUL, DSM, ICT, MCI, OMA with departures to places like BOS, PHL, LGA, CMH, DTW, DCA
Mid-morning
Reverse of early morning
Early afternoon
Arrivals from places like BOS, BWI, PIT, MKE, CLE, DCA with departures to places like LAX, SFO, MCI, SAN, PDX, SEA
Mid afternoon
Reverse of early afternoon
Early evening
Arrivals from places like OKC, TUL, DSM, ICT, MCI, OMA with departures to places like BOS, PHL, LGA, CMH, DTW, DCA
Late evening
Reverse of early evening

There are various flights at other times of the day, though mostly to other Southwest de facto hubs like MDW, DAL, DEN, etc. But for most other St Louis destinations odds are high the flight times are coordinated to hit a bank.

Jshank83

Tue May 30, 2017 2:07 pm

knope2001 wrote:
Specific to the OP’s question, Southwest runs hub banks in St Louis, and both flights are part of a (primarily) westbound bank.

Around 1:00pm there are arrivals from places such as BOS, DCA, ECP, MCO, PIT, ATL, CLE, MKE, BWI
Around 1:45pm there are departures to places such as OAK, SFO, SAN, SEA, AUS, LAX, MCI, OMA, PDX

Southwest runs six pretty well-defined banks through the day at STL

Early morning
Mid-morning
Reverse of early morning
Early afternoon
Arrivals from places like BOS, BWI, PIT, MKE, CLE, DCA with departures to places like LAX, SFO, MCI, SAN, PDX, SEA
Mid afternoon
Reverse of early afternoon
Early evening
Late evening
Reverse of early evening

There are various flights at other times of the day, though mostly to other Southwest de facto hubs like MDW, DAL, DEN, etc. But for most other St Louis destinations odds are high the flight times are coordinated to hit a bank.

Good info. I did know most of the flights were in banks. I didn't realize a lot of the west coast outbounds were at the same time. I still wish they would put one of the OAK/SFO in a later bank (early evening if I can be picky) but I am sure they have their reasons.

Kikko19

Tue May 30, 2017 2:13 pm

other examples when i went to bkk often both AY flights arrived within 2 hours, and so they departed...

IADCA

Tue May 30, 2017 3:11 pm

ojjunior wrote:
ahj2000 wrote:
ojjunior wrote:

They do that on a few routes - SCL being another example, where two of the flights are 15 minutes apart (leave PTY at 1544 and 1600 on current schedule I think). I assume with CM it's just a consequence of not having aircraft larger than 738s and operating a hub that relies heavily on timing connections. I think FI has a few of these same-carrier "wingtip" flights for similar reasons - more demand than a 757 can take and limited availability of the 753 and 767s.

ahj2000

Tue May 30, 2017 3:19 pm

IADCA wrote:
ojjunior wrote:
ahj2000 wrote:

They do that on a few routes - SCL being another example, where two of the flights are 15 minutes apart (leave PTY at 1544 and 1600 on current schedule I thidnk). I assume with CM it's just a consequence of not having aircraft larger than 738s and operating a hub that relies heavily on timing connections. I think FI has a few of these same-carrier "wingtip" flights for similar reasons - more demand than a 757 can take and limited availability of the 753 and 767s.

Mildly off topic but could Copa be interested in either the 739ER or the MOM? Seems like they could use it...
-Andrés Juánez

ojjunior

Tue May 30, 2017 3:21 pm

IADCA wrote:
ojjunior wrote:
ahj2000 wrote:

They do that on a few routes - SCL being another example, where two of the flights are 15 minutes apart (leave PTY at 1544 and 1600 on current schedule I think). I assume with CM it's just a consequence of not having aircraft larger than 738s and operating a hub that relies heavily on timing connections. I think FI has a few of these same-carrier "wingtip" flights for similar reasons - more demand than a 757 can take and limited availability of the 753 and 767s.

You're abosolutely right. lack of a bigger plane.
In fact the Boeing 767 Sales Area should stop by in Panama City sometime...

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos