Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

 
TerminalD
Topic Author
Posts: 451
Joined: Wed Apr 26, 2017 7:32 pm

POLITICO: Laptop Ban "Imminent". Asia Too?

Thu May 25, 2017 10:20 pm

If this isn't click-bait, it sounds like Trump was partially in Europe to make the case for this being announced by Monday. Also says, possibly other regions. That would have to be Asia I'd think, although I guess it could be the few flights from Africa.

This will demolish air travel demand if this actually happens. Imagine the further impact if a plane goes down from a lithium battery fire.

U.S. airlines and some related businesses are making preparations for an imminent decision by the Trump administration to expand the airborne laptop ban to flights from Europe and possibly other regions, maybe as soon as Thursday, several sources told POLITICO.

One U.S. airline source said his company is "preparing like they're about to" roll it out. "We haven't gotten firm confirmation but by all accounts. It looks like we think they’re going to do it" within the next week — but probably sooner rather than later, he said.

"I just know that based on our assessment of what [DHS] told us, we're preparing for it to happen," he said.

Another airline industry source said an announcement probably won't come Thursday, as DHS is "still doing stakeholder meetings today. FAA is still engaging in the process as well. Expectation is that nothing would go into effect until" President Donald Trump returns from his overseas trip this weekend.


http://www.politico.com/story/2017/05/2 ... hts-238835
 
32andBelow
Posts: 6318
Joined: Mon Sep 03, 2012 2:54 am

Re: POLITICO: Laptop Ban "Imminent". Asia Too?

Thu May 25, 2017 10:55 pm

TerminalD wrote:
If this isn't click-bait, it sounds like Trump was partially in Europe to make the case for this being announced by Monday. Also says, possibly other regions. That would have to be Asia I'd think, although I guess it could be the few flights from Africa.

This will demolish air travel demand if this actually happens. Imagine the further impact if a plane goes down from a lithium battery fire.

U.S. airlines and some related businesses are making preparations for an imminent decision by the Trump administration to expand the airborne laptop ban to flights from Europe and possibly other regions, maybe as soon as Thursday, several sources told POLITICO.

One U.S. airline source said his company is "preparing like they're about to" roll it out. "We haven't gotten firm confirmation but by all accounts. It looks like we think they’re going to do it" within the next week — but probably sooner rather than later, he said.

"I just know that based on our assessment of what [DHS] told us, we're preparing for it to happen," he said.

Another airline industry source said an announcement probably won't come Thursday, as DHS is "still doing stakeholder meetings today. FAA is still engaging in the process as well. Expectation is that nothing would go into effect until" President Donald Trump returns from his overseas trip this weekend.


http://www.politico.com/story/2017/05/2 ... hts-238835

This will demolish air demand? What? I don't even see many people in a flight on laptops anymore. Everyone is on their phone or ipad.
 
winginit
Posts: 3073
Joined: Sat Feb 23, 2013 9:23 pm

Re: POLITICO: Laptop Ban "Imminent". Asia Too?

Thu May 25, 2017 10:58 pm

TerminalD wrote:
This will demolish air travel demand if this actually happens. Imagine the further impact if a plane goes down from a lithium battery fire.


What a truly ridiculous statement. If air travel can succeed and indeed thrive under the introduction of post-9/11 TSA measures than a laptop ban will be a drop in the bucket.
 
User avatar
enilria
Posts: 10410
Joined: Fri Feb 22, 2008 7:15 pm

Re: POLITICO: Laptop Ban "Imminent". Asia Too?

Thu May 25, 2017 11:03 pm

winginit wrote:
TerminalD wrote:
This will demolish air travel demand if this actually happens. Imagine the further impact if a plane goes down from a lithium battery fire.


What a truly ridiculous statement. If air travel can succeed and indeed thrive under the introduction of post-9/11 TSA measures than a laptop ban will be a drop in the bucket.

There will always be air service, but this will negatively impact business travel.
 
frmrCapCadet
Posts: 5542
Joined: Thu May 29, 2008 8:24 pm

Re: POLITICO: Laptop Ban "Imminent". Asia Too?

Thu May 25, 2017 11:14 pm

Inconvenience can have a serious price. Many of my friends went from a few or several trips a year to less than one because in inconvenience and hassle.
 
ikramerica
Posts: 15241
Joined: Mon May 23, 2005 9:33 am

Re: POLITICO: Laptop Ban "Imminent". Asia Too?

Fri May 26, 2017 12:05 am

airlines will have to offer insurance for laptops placed in the hold that is equal to the actual value of the laptop, not some arbitrary number. Also maybe they can do a fire resistant check-in box that then gets loaded into a fireproof multi-unit box for shipping. Who knows.

But the way things are today, in most cases there is not a reason to be bringing a business laptop with you for security reasons. You can bring an encrypted USB stick for data, and remote login for access otherwise. I know that a friend who's a VP at Goldman hasn't been bringing his laptop for years. He remotes in on a tablet, because it's far more secure that way.

This really would impact architects and film people and jobs where you need a powerful machine with the software on it, but again, that can be checked below just like you check film equipment. When I was working on documentaries, we would ship expensive equipment in the hold all around the world. Never lost or damaged, ever. All kinds of airlines. Even to Africa and China.
 
downdata
Posts: 590
Joined: Wed Feb 17, 2016 2:38 am

Re: POLITICO: Laptop Ban "Imminent". Asia Too?

Fri May 26, 2017 12:14 am

32andBelow wrote:
TerminalD wrote:
If this isn't click-bait, it sounds like Trump was partially in Europe to make the case for this being announced by Monday. Also says, possibly other regions. That would have to be Asia I'd think, although I guess it could be the few flights from Africa.

This will demolish air travel demand if this actually happens. Imagine the further impact if a plane goes down from a lithium battery fire.

U.S. airlines and some related businesses are making preparations for an imminent decision by the Trump administration to expand the airborne laptop ban to flights from Europe and possibly other regions, maybe as soon as Thursday, several sources told POLITICO.

One U.S. airline source said his company is "preparing like they're about to" roll it out. "We haven't gotten firm confirmation but by all accounts. It looks like we think they’re going to do it" within the next week — but probably sooner rather than later, he said.

"I just know that based on our assessment of what [DHS] told us, we're preparing for it to happen," he said.

Another airline industry source said an announcement probably won't come Thursday, as DHS is "still doing stakeholder meetings today. FAA is still engaging in the process as well. Expectation is that nothing would go into effect until" President Donald Trump returns from his overseas trip this weekend.


http://www.politico.com/story/2017/05/2 ... hts-238835

This will demolish air demand? What? I don't even see many people in a flight on laptops anymore. Everyone is on their phone or ipad.


It will destroy premium demand. If you don't need to work on a plane, there is much less need to travel in international J than say, Y or W.
 
ikramerica
Posts: 15241
Joined: Mon May 23, 2005 9:33 am

Re: POLITICO: Laptop Ban "Imminent". Asia Too?

Fri May 26, 2017 4:37 am

downdata wrote:
32andBelow wrote:
TerminalD wrote:
If this isn't click-bait, it sounds like Trump was partially in Europe to make the case for this being announced by Monday. Also says, possibly other regions. That would have to be Asia I'd think, although I guess it could be the few flights from Africa.

This will demolish air travel demand if this actually happens. Imagine the further impact if a plane goes down from a lithium battery fire.

U.S. airlines and some related businesses are making preparations for an imminent decision by the Trump administration to expand the airborne laptop ban to flights from Europe and possibly other regions, maybe as soon as Thursday, several sources told POLITICO.

One U.S. airline source said his company is "preparing like they're about to" roll it out. "We haven't gotten firm confirmation but by all accounts. It looks like we think they’re going to do it" within the next week — but probably sooner rather than later, he said.

"I just know that based on our assessment of what [DHS] told us, we're preparing for it to happen," he said.

Another airline industry source said an announcement probably won't come Thursday, as DHS is "still doing stakeholder meetings today. FAA is still engaging in the process as well. Expectation is that nothing would go into effect until" President Donald Trump returns from his overseas trip this weekend.


http://www.politico.com/story/2017/05/2 ... hts-238835

This will demolish air demand? What? I don't even see many people in a flight on laptops anymore. Everyone is on their phone or ipad.


It will destroy premium demand. If you don't need to work on a plane, there is much less need to travel in international J than say, Y or W.

Not true. It's being ready when you arrive, not working aboard. I have been in a few F and J cabins in my day, and I didn't see a lot of work being done by my cabin mates. Domestic flights in the USA yes, but internationally, it was mostly eat, read, watch and sleep by everyone. Maybe a little work for people wanting to be prepared for a meeting.
 
rj777
Posts: 1959
Joined: Sat Dec 02, 2000 1:47 am

Re: POLITICO: Laptop Ban "Imminent". Asia Too?

Fri May 26, 2017 4:52 am

or some airlines (like UA) who don't have PTV's might have to get them.
 
ASQ400
Posts: 342
Joined: Sat Apr 22, 2017 12:21 am

Re: POLITICO: Laptop Ban "Imminent". Asia Too?

Fri May 26, 2017 5:41 am

After only a week ago Trump dumped the idea, I doubt it'll come back quite so soon.
 
Flighty
Posts: 9963
Joined: Thu Apr 05, 2007 3:07 am

Re: POLITICO: Laptop Ban "Imminent". Asia Too?

Fri May 26, 2017 5:49 am

The laptop PC is really the equivalent of yesterday's desktop computer.

Yes, we need them for work, but they will probably vanish in favor of cell phone based keyboarded tablets like Surface. These will be small enough they may not be a real security concern. I expect this to happen within 5-7 years. Mobile now has enough computing power even if you are a lead engineer in IT. It's plenty. The PC will go away.
 
ACDC8
Posts: 8792
Joined: Thu Mar 10, 2005 6:56 pm

Re: POLITICO: Laptop Ban "Imminent". Asia Too?

Fri May 26, 2017 5:55 am

I always travel with my laptop, many people do - just because they aren't using them on board doesn't mean they don't have them with it. I always keep mine on my carry-on. The risk of my checked luggage going missing or possibly even having items removed from is enough deterrent for me to always have it with me in the cabin at all times.
 
Andy33
Posts: 2570
Joined: Tue Sep 15, 2009 9:30 am

Re: POLITICO: Laptop Ban "Imminent". Asia Too?

Fri May 26, 2017 6:04 am

Flighty wrote:
The laptop PC is really the equivalent of yesterday's desktop computer.

Yes, we need them for work, but they will probably vanish in favor of cell phone based keyboarded tablets like Surface. These will be small enough they may not be a real security concern. I expect this to happen within 5-7 years. Mobile now has enough computing power even if you are a lead engineer in IT. It's plenty. The PC will go away.


At the moment the US bans not just laptops but also tablets, ipads, and digital cameras, on the Middle East-USA routes.
It would be remarkable if they backtracked on the tablets and ipads for any new ban, tantamount to an admission that the original ban was an over reaction.
Given how slim some tablets are already I struggle to see how a worthwhile amount of explosive could be concealed and still make them capable of being switched on, but"security sources" have suggested that perhaps several such devices belonging to different passengers might be set off at once. Seems a bit of a stretch to me.
 
wolflair
Posts: 58
Joined: Mon Sep 10, 2007 8:26 pm

Re: POLITICO: Laptop Ban "Imminent". Asia Too?

Fri May 26, 2017 6:22 am

ikramerica wrote:
But the way things are today, in most cases there is not a reason to be bringing a business laptop with you for security reasons. You can bring an encrypted USB stick for data, and remote login for access otherwise. I know that a friend who's a VP at Goldman hasn't been bringing his laptop for years. He remotes in on a tablet, because it's far more secure that way.

This really would impact architects and film people and jobs where you need a powerful machine with the software on it, but again, that can be checked below just like you check film equipment. When I was working on documentaries, we would ship expensive equipment in the hold all around the world. Never lost or damaged, ever. All kinds of airlines. Even to Africa and China.


I would disagree with there being no reason to bring a laptop. Many companies have decided (for many technical, legal or even operational reasons) not to invest is virtualisation environments that would allow their staff to work using remote desktops (so the laptop would become unnecessary). Goldman and many companies have a mixed environment: some staff can work off an ipad, some staff cannot. Some staff can use a virtual desktop (so connecting from almost any PC/laptop would allow them to work as if they were at their own desk), but some staff cannot (some applications do not support virtual environments).

More importantly, the way the data privacy laws are interpreted in many places could mean people cannot just access their data from any terminal overseas (but they can access it from their own laptops if this is the same device they use at their home country).

Encrypted USBs are not an answer. Many companies ban the use of USB sticks (encrypted or not) because, for the company's compliance department, the risks they represent (data leakage, data theft, viruses, etc) outweigh the convenience of not moving around a laptop.

I spend 2+ months travelling for business per year (cumulatively). A laptop ban in my on-board luggage is just too much of a hassle: the 5-6 hrs I could work in a trasatlantic flight are gone, so I would need to spend that time working on a weekend before the trip (or travel over the weekend).

And no matter how many promises you get regarding your device being "safe", some places are just too unsafe for the laptop to be carried on the hold. Laptops will be stolen, and I don't want to be the one losing critical information just the day before a very important presentation.
 
AngMoh
Posts: 1229
Joined: Fri Nov 04, 2011 5:03 am

Re: POLITICO: Laptop Ban "Imminent". Asia Too?

Fri May 26, 2017 6:25 am

Andy33 wrote:
Flighty wrote:
The laptop PC is really the equivalent of yesterday's desktop computer.

Yes, we need them for work, but they will probably vanish in favor of cell phone based keyboarded tablets like Surface. These will be small enough they may not be a real security concern. I expect this to happen within 5-7 years. Mobile now has enough computing power even if you are a lead engineer in IT. It's plenty. The PC will go away.


At the moment the US bans not just laptops but also tablets, ipads, and digital cameras, on the Middle East-USA routes.
It would be remarkable if they backtracked on the tablets and ipads for any new ban, tantamount to an admission that the original ban was an over reaction.
Given how slim some tablets are already I struggle to see how a worthwhile amount of explosive could be concealed and still make them capable of being switched on, but"security sources" have suggested that perhaps several such devices belonging to different passengers might be set off at once. Seems a bit of a stretch to me.


There was another article in CNN stating it is also being considered for US domestic flights. How that is going to work combined with the "no checked bad included" policies is a mystery to me.

http://edition.cnn.com/2017/05/19/polit ... ohn-kelly/
 
User avatar
seahawk
Posts: 10417
Joined: Fri May 27, 2005 1:29 am

Re: POLITICO: Laptop Ban "Imminent". Asia Too?

Fri May 26, 2017 6:41 am

Easy, if you want to bring a laptop, you need to buy a checked bag and an optional insurance for electronic devices. Win-Win for the airline industry.
 
bgm
Posts: 2547
Joined: Fri Sep 11, 2009 9:37 am

Re: POLITICO: Laptop Ban "Imminent". Asia Too?

Fri May 26, 2017 7:54 am

seahawk wrote:
Easy, if you want to bring a laptop, you need to buy a checked bag and an optional insurance for electronic devices. Win-Win for the airline industry.


Good luck finding an insurance policy that covers electronics checked in luggage.

Lose-lose for everyone.
 
Theseus
Posts: 325
Joined: Thu Oct 01, 2009 8:35 pm

Re: POLITICO: Laptop Ban "Imminent". Asia Too?

Fri May 26, 2017 8:17 am

bgm wrote:
seahawk wrote:
Good luck finding an insurance policy that covers electronics checked in luggage.

Lose-lose for everyone.


Anything that has less than 100% probability of happening can be insured. At a (well calculated) price.

Lose-lose for passengers for sure.
 
MartijnNL
Posts: 1192
Joined: Sun Jan 01, 2017 11:44 am

Re: POLITICO: Laptop Ban "Imminent". Asia Too?

Fri May 26, 2017 8:30 am

ikramerica wrote:
airlines will have to offer insurance for laptops placed in the hold that is equal to the actual value of the laptop, not some arbitrary number.

Why? It's not the airlines who placed this ban into effect.

ikramerica wrote:
But the way things are today, in most cases there is not a reason to be bringing a business laptop with you for security reasons.

That's not the point. There is also not a reason to bring a jacket with you on the plane.

ikramerica wrote:
I know that a friend who's a VP at Goldman hasn't been bringing his laptop for years.

I know people who always bring their laptops.
 
Virtual737
Posts: 1471
Joined: Tue Jul 19, 2016 6:16 am

Re: POLITICO: Laptop Ban "Imminent". Asia Too?

Fri May 26, 2017 9:31 am

Flighty wrote:
The laptop PC is really the equivalent of yesterday's desktop computer.

Yes, we need them for work, but they will probably vanish in favor of cell phone based keyboarded tablets like Surface. These will be small enough they may not be a real security concern. I expect this to happen within 5-7 years. Mobile now has enough computing power even if you are a lead engineer in IT. It's plenty. The PC will go away.


I (almost) wish. You've almost summed up my role, but my laptop IS my business. No mobile tech can yet handle the drivers, APIs, virtual machines, storage, speed or sheer convenience of my laptop by a LONG way. In fact I'm mulling going back to a desktop (after 25+ years of laptop) because it offers me even more. Laptop ban or laptop in hold means that I will 100% not fly unless I absolutely have to. Etihad Platinum member or not. They have already lost many $000s of dollars of my business.

The laptop is self contained. With eyesight starting to fail I can still use it with 100% productivity and I cannot do this on mobile devices without the need to plug it into something at least as big as a laptop. When at home or in the office it plugs into desktop space of 6440 x 1440 pixels with display power to spare.

Also don't forget the laptop's advantage of being very unlikely to be dropped in the toilet...
 
AA747123
Posts: 287
Joined: Wed Dec 14, 2016 5:15 pm

Re: POLITICO: Laptop Ban "Imminent". Asia Too?

Fri May 26, 2017 9:45 am

32andBelow wrote:
TerminalD wrote:
If this isn't click-bait, it sounds like Trump was partially in Europe to make the case for this being announced by Monday. Also says, possibly other regions. That would have to be Asia I'd think, although I guess it could be the few flights from Africa.

This will demolish air travel demand if this actually happens. Imagine the further impact if a plane goes down from a lithium battery fire.

U.S. airlines and some related businesses are making preparations for an imminent decision by the Trump administration to expand the airborne laptop ban to flights from Europe and possibly other regions, maybe as soon as Thursday, several sources told POLITICO.

One U.S. airline source said his company is "preparing like they're about to" roll it out. "We haven't gotten firm confirmation but by all accounts. It looks like we think they’re going to do it" within the next week — but probably sooner rather than later, he said.

"I just know that based on our assessment of what [DHS] told us, we're preparing for it to happen," he said.

Another airline industry source said an announcement probably won't come Thursday, as DHS is "still doing stakeholder meetings today. FAA is still engaging in the process as well. Expectation is that nothing would go into effect until" President Donald Trump returns from his overseas trip this weekend.


http://www.politico.com/story/2017/05/2 ... hts-238835

This will demolish air demand? What? I don't even see many people in a flight on laptops anymore. Everyone is on their phone or ipad.

It would ban iPads too
 
Virtual737
Posts: 1471
Joined: Tue Jul 19, 2016 6:16 am

Re: POLITICO: Laptop Ban "Imminent". Asia Too?

Fri May 26, 2017 9:51 am

TerminalD wrote:
Expectation is that nothing would go into effect until" President Donald Trump returns from his overseas trip this weekend.[/i]


...because he took his laptop with him.
 
User avatar
Blimpie
Posts: 319
Joined: Fri Mar 21, 2014 3:48 pm

Re: POLITICO: Laptop Ban "Imminent". Asia Too?

Fri May 26, 2017 12:46 pm

This shouldn't have come as a surprise to anyone. The biggest surprise here is that just last week everyone on here was outrage and was in full surport of pax being able to work on their laptops or watch movies on tablets; today it seems like everyone has just rolled over and accepted the fact that the ban is happening and have thrown I. The "meh apathy" towel. Not even so much a peep from the anti-America refusing to ever step foot in the US crowd or the blame the stupid red headed furball choir either.

Amazing how popular opinion shifts on here.
 
skipness1E
Posts: 5227
Joined: Sun Aug 19, 2007 9:18 am

Re: POLITICO: Laptop Ban "Imminent". Asia Too?

Fri May 26, 2017 1:01 pm

Flighty wrote:
The laptop PC is really the equivalent of yesterday's desktop computer.

Yes, we need them for work, but they will probably vanish in favor of cell phone based keyboarded tablets like Surface. These will be small enough they may not be a real security concern. I expect this to happen within 5-7 years. Mobile now has enough computing power even if you are a lead engineer in IT. It's plenty. The PC will go away.


You can't work as effectively on a tablet keyboard, not by a long shot.
 
Balaguru
Posts: 50
Joined: Wed May 31, 2006 11:09 am

Re: POLITICO: Laptop Ban "Imminent". Asia Too?

Fri May 26, 2017 2:36 pm

People travel with or without laptops for any number of reasons. I personally like to have my laptop with me in my cabin, to get some work done. Nevertheless, I do buy the argument that if there is malicious intent to use a lithium battery of a laptop as an explosive device, it would be better controlled in the cabin, where there are 100s of eyes and noses, rather than in the hold.
https://www.flightglobal.com/news/articles/opinion-cabin-laptop-ban-is-selective-ineffective-435510/
Besides, if the lithium battery is the problem, what about the 787? :duck: BTW, I do love the 787, just trying to make a point about the lithium batteries.
 
PlanesNTrains
Posts: 9524
Joined: Tue Feb 01, 2005 4:19 pm

Re: POLITICO: Laptop Ban "Imminent". Asia Too?

Fri May 26, 2017 3:11 pm

Sounds like the right time to start up an tablet/Laptop rental business via kiosk at airports. Check them in and out like movies, just sign up, swipe your credit card, and you're on your way. Daily rental fee with a minimum perhaps, and an involuntary "Buy It Now" option if you don't return it. :-) Probably already exists - I've never needed such a service.
 
Cubsrule
Posts: 15755
Joined: Sat May 15, 2004 12:13 pm

Re: POLITICO: Laptop Ban "Imminent". Asia Too?

Fri May 26, 2017 3:12 pm

skipness1E wrote:
Flighty wrote:
The laptop PC is really the equivalent of yesterday's desktop computer.

Yes, we need them for work, but they will probably vanish in favor of cell phone based keyboarded tablets like Surface. These will be small enough they may not be a real security concern. I expect this to happen within 5-7 years. Mobile now has enough computing power even if you are a lead engineer in IT. It's plenty. The PC will go away.


You can't work as effectively on a tablet keyboard, not by a long shot.


I have a Surface Pro. The keyboard is every bit as good as a laptop keyboard. Neither is as good as a desktop keyboard.
 
PlanesNTrains
Posts: 9524
Joined: Tue Feb 01, 2005 4:19 pm

Re: POLITICO: Laptop Ban "Imminent". Asia Too?

Fri May 26, 2017 3:14 pm

Balaguru wrote:
People travel with or without laptops for any number of reasons. I personally like to have my laptop with me in my cabin, to get some work done. Nevertheless, I do buy the argument that if there is malicious intent to use a lithium battery of a laptop as an explosive device, it would be better controlled in the cabin, where there are 100s of eyes and noses, rather than in the hold.
https://www.flightglobal.com/news/articles/opinion-cabin-laptop-ban-is-selective-ineffective-435510/
Besides, if the lithium battery is the problem, what about the 787? :duck: BTW, I do love the 787, just trying to make a point about the lithium batteries.


My wife brought her laptop onboard recently to try to do some work en route. In Y, the pitch was so horrible that she couldn't even fully open it. lol It was painful to watch. Having said that, if some jerk can steal all the CD's out of my suitcase, he sure as heck can steal my laptop, so it won't be coming in the future.
 
User avatar
readytotaxi
Posts: 8900
Joined: Mon Dec 11, 2006 2:09 am

Re: POLITICO: Laptop Ban "Imminent". Asia Too?

Fri May 26, 2017 3:17 pm

PlanesNTrains wrote:
Sounds like the right time to start up an tablet/Laptop rental business via kiosk at airports. Check them in and out like movies, just sign up, swipe your credit card, and you're on your way. Daily rental fee with a minimum perhaps, and an involuntary "Buy It Now" option if you don't return it. :-) Probably already exists - I've never needed such a service.

Remember renting a USA phone at LHR years ago. :old:
 
b747400erf
Posts: 3177
Joined: Wed Jun 19, 2013 4:33 am

Re: POLITICO: Laptop Ban "Imminent". Asia Too?

Fri May 26, 2017 3:36 pm

I always use my laptop in the lounge before a flight, sometimes on the plane but not often. This hurts premium and business travel. If someone is arguing otherwise they are just doing it to support Trump and are going to say anything no matter how illogical.
 
pabloeing
Posts: 594
Joined: Wed Dec 10, 2014 3:00 pm

Re: POLITICO: Laptop Ban "Imminent". Asia Too?

Fri May 26, 2017 3:57 pm

Europe reject the electronic ban days ago.......
 
Flighty
Posts: 9963
Joined: Thu Apr 05, 2007 3:07 am

Re: POLITICO: Laptop Ban "Imminent". Asia Too?

Fri May 26, 2017 4:04 pm

PlanesNTrains wrote:
Balaguru wrote:
People travel with or without laptops for any number of reasons. I personally like to have my laptop with me in my cabin, to get some work done. Nevertheless, I do buy the argument that if there is malicious intent to use a lithium battery of a laptop as an explosive device, it would be better controlled in the cabin, where there are 100s of eyes and noses, rather than in the hold.
https://www.flightglobal.com/news/articles/opinion-cabin-laptop-ban-is-selective-ineffective-435510/
Besides, if the lithium battery is the problem, what about the 787? :duck: BTW, I do love the 787, just trying to make a point about the lithium batteries.


My wife brought her laptop onboard recently to try to do some work en route. In Y, the pitch was so horrible that she couldn't even fully open it. lol It was painful to watch. Having said that, if some jerk can steal all the CD's out of my suitcase, he sure as heck can steal my laptop, so it won't be coming in the future.


Yeah, almost without fail some devil-incarnate fully reclines on me, basically assaulting me and nearly cracking my screen. It's happened oh, 96 times. It is basically like punching someone in the face. A 13 inch laptop is too big for economy-minus these days. 11 inch screen still works. I am intrigued that maybe a tablet computer can replace that one.
 
32andBelow
Posts: 6318
Joined: Mon Sep 03, 2012 2:54 am

Re: POLITICO: Laptop Ban "Imminent". Asia Too?

Fri May 26, 2017 4:10 pm

You guys should be thrilled. Sorry boss, they banned laptops. can't work. Not just get hammered with the rest of us and enjoy the flight.
 
b747400erf
Posts: 3177
Joined: Wed Jun 19, 2013 4:33 am

Re: POLITICO: Laptop Ban "Imminent". Asia Too?

Fri May 26, 2017 5:17 pm

pabloeing wrote:
Europe reject the electronic ban days ago.......

The American government is angry. An appeals court, known as one of the most conservative in the country, struck down Trump's travel ban and in such a wide reaching opinion told him he does not have this power to pick and choose certain nations. The laptop ban looks more and more to me like a way to hurt travel to America within their power since each travel ban attempt is denied. To do this a day after the appeals court decision and after Europe told America they are against it, in my opinion shows this to be the true reason.
 
32andBelow
Posts: 6318
Joined: Mon Sep 03, 2012 2:54 am

Re: POLITICO: Laptop Ban "Imminent". Asia Too?

Fri May 26, 2017 5:27 pm

b747400erf wrote:
pabloeing wrote:
Europe reject the electronic ban days ago.......

The American government is angry. An appeals court, known as one of the most conservative in the country, struck down Trump's travel ban and in such a wide reaching opinion told him he does not have this power to pick and choose certain nations. The laptop ban looks more and more to me like a way to hurt travel to America within their power since each travel ban attempt is denied. To do this a day after the appeals court decision and after Europe told America they are against it, in my opinion shows this to be the true reason.
Because syrian refugees have lots of laptops.
 
ZincSaucier
Posts: 42
Joined: Fri Oct 02, 2015 3:28 pm

Re: POLITICO: Laptop Ban "Imminent". Asia Too?

Fri May 26, 2017 5:57 pm

Balaguru wrote:
Besides, if the lithium battery is the problem, what about the 787? :duck: BTW, I do love the 787, just trying to make a point about the lithium batteries.


You mean the issue that grounded the fleet worldwide until Boeing could put in a fix that isolates the batteries in a fire-proof box? Lithium batteries in a cargo hold are dangerous stuff if not treated with care (remember all the hoverboards catching on fire? Or the Samsung phones? Li batteries have brought planes down before
 
b747400erf
Posts: 3177
Joined: Wed Jun 19, 2013 4:33 am

Re: POLITICO: Laptop Ban "Imminent". Asia Too?

Fri May 26, 2017 6:37 pm

32andBelow wrote:
b747400erf wrote:
pabloeing wrote:
Europe reject the electronic ban days ago.......

The American government is angry. An appeals court, known as one of the most conservative in the country, struck down Trump's travel ban and in such a wide reaching opinion told him he does not have this power to pick and choose certain nations. The laptop ban looks more and more to me like a way to hurt travel to America within their power since each travel ban attempt is denied. To do this a day after the appeals court decision and after Europe told America they are against it, in my opinion shows this to be the true reason.
Because syrian refugees have lots of laptops.

That is a bizarre comment, Trump's failed Travel Ban did not single out Syrian refugees. Ironically he could have done that and it would have been legal.
 
User avatar
Blimpie
Posts: 319
Joined: Fri Mar 21, 2014 3:48 pm

Re: POLITICO: Laptop Ban "Imminent". Asia Too?

Fri May 26, 2017 6:38 pm

Cubsrule wrote:
skipness1E wrote:
Flighty wrote:
The laptop PC is really the equivalent of yesterday's desktop computer.

Yes, we need them for work, but they will probably vanish in favor of cell phone based keyboarded tablets like Surface. These will be small enough they may not be a real security concern. I expect this to happen within 5-7 years. Mobile now has enough computing power even if you are a lead engineer in IT. It's plenty. The PC will go away.


You can't work as effectively on a tablet keyboard, not by a long shot.


I have a Surface Pro. The keyboard is every bit as good as a laptop keyboard. Neither is as good as a desktop keyboard.


And just as equally banned under the upcoming restriction so it's a moot point whether a surface is as good as a laptop.
 
ASQ400
Posts: 342
Joined: Sat Apr 22, 2017 12:21 am

Re: POLITICO: Laptop Ban "Imminent". Asia Too?

Fri May 26, 2017 6:43 pm

b747400erf wrote:
32andBelow wrote:
b747400erf wrote:
The American government is angry. An appeals court, known as one of the most conservative in the country, struck down Trump's travel ban and in such a wide reaching opinion told him he does not have this power to pick and choose certain nations. The laptop ban looks more and more to me like a way to hurt travel to America within their power since each travel ban attempt is denied. To do this a day after the appeals court decision and after Europe told America they are against it, in my opinion shows this to be the true reason.
Because syrian refugees have lots of laptops.

That is a bizarre comment, Trump's failed Travel Ban did not single out Syrian refugees. Ironically he could have done that and it would have been legal.

The ban said:
No people from (insert list of countries) for 90 days, and no Syrian refugees indefinitely. Was struck down in its entirety
 
jomur
Posts: 471
Joined: Sun Jun 19, 2016 6:36 pm

Re: POLITICO: Laptop Ban "Imminent". Asia Too?

Fri May 26, 2017 6:58 pm

If the US implements this then I hope its reciprocal and flights from the US to Europe or elsewhere also have the ban.
 
b747400erf
Posts: 3177
Joined: Wed Jun 19, 2013 4:33 am

Re: POLITICO: Laptop Ban "Imminent". Asia Too?

Fri May 26, 2017 7:00 pm

ASQ400 wrote:
b747400erf wrote:
32andBelow wrote:
Because syrian refugees have lots of laptops.

That is a bizarre comment, Trump's failed Travel Ban did not single out Syrian refugees. Ironically he could have done that and it would have been legal.

The ban said:
No people from (insert list of countries) for 90 days, and no Syrian refugees indefinitely. Was struck down in its entirety


That proves my point, the ban did not single out people from Syria.
 
ASQ400
Posts: 342
Joined: Sat Apr 22, 2017 12:21 am

Re: POLITICO: Laptop Ban "Imminent". Asia Too?

Fri May 26, 2017 7:04 pm

b747400erf wrote:
ASQ400 wrote:
b747400erf wrote:
That is a bizarre comment, Trump's failed Travel Ban did not single out Syrian refugees. Ironically he could have done that and it would have been legal.

The ban said:
No people from (insert list of countries) for 90 days, and no Syrian refugees indefinitely. Was struck down in its entirety


That proves my point, the ban did not single out people from Syria.

It singled out people from 7 countries, including Syria, with the obvious reason that they were Muslim
 
b747400erf
Posts: 3177
Joined: Wed Jun 19, 2013 4:33 am

Re: POLITICO: Laptop Ban "Imminent". Asia Too?

Fri May 26, 2017 7:28 pm

ASQ400 wrote:
b747400erf wrote:
ASQ400 wrote:
The ban said:
No people from (insert list of countries) for 90 days, and no Syrian refugees indefinitely. Was struck down in its entirety


That proves my point, the ban did not single out people from Syria.

It singled out people from 7 countries, including Syria, with the obvious reason that they were Muslim

You are not making a point or debating the comment I made.
 
Cubsrule
Posts: 15755
Joined: Sat May 15, 2004 12:13 pm

Re: POLITICO: Laptop Ban "Imminent". Asia Too?

Fri May 26, 2017 7:39 pm

Blimpie wrote:
Cubsrule wrote:
skipness1E wrote:

You can't work as effectively on a tablet keyboard, not by a long shot.


I have a Surface Pro. The keyboard is every bit as good as a laptop keyboard. Neither is as good as a desktop keyboard.


And just as equally banned under the upcoming restriction so it's a moot point whether a surface is as good as a laptop.


Since you've apparently seen the forthcoming ban, why don't you let us all know what it says?
 
ASQ400
Posts: 342
Joined: Sat Apr 22, 2017 12:21 am

Re: POLITICO: Laptop Ban "Imminent". Asia Too?

Fri May 26, 2017 7:40 pm

b747400erf wrote:
ASQ400 wrote:
b747400erf wrote:

That proves my point, the ban did not single out people from Syria.

It singled out people from 7 countries, including Syria, with the obvious reason that they were Muslim

You are not making a point or debating the comment I made.

I'm directly pointing out a logical fallacy in your comment
 
bennett123
Posts: 11320
Joined: Sun Aug 15, 2004 12:49 am

Re: POLITICO: Laptop Ban "Imminent". Asia Too?

Fri May 26, 2017 11:07 pm

Even if other countries do not retaliate, US visitors will need. To put. Laptops in. The hold going home.
 
Chemist
Posts: 1094
Joined: Tue Oct 20, 2015 4:46 am

Re: POLITICO: Laptop Ban "Imminent". Asia Too?

Sat May 27, 2017 5:18 am

I am about to buy tickets from USA to Europe for late summer. Due to the uncertainty over this, and the fact that a major purpose of the trip is photography, I'm going to have to book my wife and myself via Canada stopover in the hope that I can then fly with my equipment. I can't buy now and assume nothing will change over the next few months.

The idiots in Washington are costing me money, and giving Canada some extra business.
 
b747400erf
Posts: 3177
Joined: Wed Jun 19, 2013 4:33 am

Re: POLITICO: Laptop Ban "Imminent". Asia Too?

Sat May 27, 2017 11:08 am

ASQ400 wrote:
b747400erf wrote:
ASQ400 wrote:
It singled out people from 7 countries, including Syria, with the obvious reason that they were Muslim

You are not making a point or debating the comment I made.

I'm directly pointing out a logical fallacy in your comment

English not you first language? The travel ban had been denied by the courts due to picking other countries for no apparent reason except the underlying racism in Trump's language. You need to look up the meaning of "fallacy" because it does not apply.
 
trex8
Posts: 5860
Joined: Sat Nov 02, 2002 9:04 am

Re: POLITICO: Laptop Ban "Imminent". Asia Too?

Sat May 27, 2017 3:21 pm

Balaguru wrote:
People travel with or without laptops for any number of reasons. I personally like to have my laptop with me in my cabin, to get some work done. Nevertheless, I do buy the argument that if there is malicious intent to use a lithium battery of a laptop as an explosive device, it would be better controlled in the cabin, where there are 100s of eyes and noses, rather than in the hold.
https://www.flightglobal.com/news/articles/opinion-cabin-laptop-ban-is-selective-ineffective-435510/
Besides, if the lithium battery is the problem, what about the 787? :duck: BTW, I do love the 787, just trying to make a point about the lithium batteries.

Its not the battery they are using as the explosive source, they are supposedly trying to put actual explosives in functioning laptops
 
holzmann
Posts: 599
Joined: Mon Jan 17, 2011 3:43 pm

Re: POLITICO: Laptop Ban "Imminent". Asia Too?

Sat May 27, 2017 6:19 pm

The day my phone can offer the power and flexibility to run Adobe Photoshop, Premier, InDesign, etc. is the day I can leave my laptop at home.

I also know a lot of people who only have permission to book business class if the flight is over 5 hours AND they agree to use the time to work (or sleep) depending on direction over the Atlantic.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos