pzurita1
Topic Author

30 busiest airports in Latin America 2016

Fri May 26, 2017 4:46 pm

It seems we can finally have a thorough list on Latin America busiest airports.

http://www.viaxico.com/latin-america-bu ... orts-2016/

Interesting facts:

1. GRU lost ground and now MEX is on top of the list. I seem to remember that up to 2010 MEX was on top. Last year they were just about the same (difference of less than 500K pax). Now MEX handled over 5M more. Anyway, in 2008, GRU had only 20M pax... So, still, a quite fast growth in the last 9 years.

2. If we add Campinas as an airport to Sao Paulo, the city has over 66 million pax. Not bad

3. Despite the Olympic Games, it seem that Rio de Janeiro also saw their numbers shrink. In 2015 both airports (GIG and SDU) handled over 26,5M pax. In 2016 the figure reduced to 25,2M pax.

4. CCS figures are shady to me. What do you think?

5. MDE is just about to become on the the 20 largest airports. I am sure we will see that in 2017.

6. LIM and SCL are just about to hit 20M pax.

7. CUN is handling now over 21M pax. I wonder if they still lack of airbridges in T1.

8. SJO is no longer in the ranking. Though to see AV un-hubbing it.

9. PTY is already among the top 10.
Next flight: IAH-DBX-MRU-ANT

ojjunior

Re: 30 busiest airports in Latin America 2016

Fri May 26, 2017 5:13 pm

I'd prefer to drive around an hour or more to fly from VCP which is 150km from SP downtown if there were more airlines/flight options from there, which is faster than reach GRU even if you're in Sao Paulo downtown due the traffic nightmare.
I would do anything to avoid that pig farm which is GRU.

MalevTU134

Fri May 26, 2017 5:37 pm

pzurita1 wrote:

Interesting facts:

1. GRU lost ground and now MEX is on top of the list. I seem to remember that up to 2010 MEX was on top. Last year they were just about the same (difference of less than 500K pax). Now MEX handled over 5M more. Anyway, in 2008, GRU had only 20M pax... So, still, a quite fast growth in the last 9 years.

2. If we add Campinas as an airport to Sao Paulo, the city has over 66 million pax. Not bad

3. Despite the Olympic Games, it seem that Rio de Janeiro also saw their numbers shrink. In 2015 both airports (GIG and SDU) handled over 26,5M pax. In 2016 the figure reduced to 25,2M pax.

5. MDE is just about to become on the the 20 largest airports. I am sure we will see that in 2017.

7. CUN is handling now over 21M pax. I wonder if they still lack of airbridges in T1.

Why would CCS figures be shady?

pzurita1
Topic Author

Fri May 26, 2017 6:40 pm

MalevTU134 wrote:
pzurita1 wrote:

Interesting facts:

Because of what the note says: Official figures not published for the last 5 years, and just based in gossip and chit chat. I really have no idea how busy or empty CCS is by now. Would really appreciate to read from our fellow Venezuelan friends here.

bsbisland

Sat May 27, 2017 3:41 pm

Amazing how Argentinian aviation sector is underdeveloped... AEP with 11.6 milllion and EZE 9.8... the only 2 in the 30 in Latin America...

I wonder why... Protecting some shitty government airline as Aerolineas Argentinas = making Argentina some 20 years behind the rest of the region...

2fly2furious

Sat May 27, 2017 8:21 pm

bsbisland wrote:
Amazing how Argentinian aviation sector is underdeveloped... AEP with 11.6 milllion and EZE 9.8... the only 2 in the 30 in Latin America...

I wonder why... Protecting some shitty government airline as Aerolineas Argentinas = making Argentina some 20 years behind the rest of the region...

Yeah, it's pretty embarrassing for sure. Looks like things are improving though. Norwegian Argentina and Flybondi should be launching domestic ops very soon. Argentina has seen a big shift in aviation policy towards liberalization since the current government came into power.

pzurita1
Topic Author

Sun May 28, 2017 2:18 am

bsbisland wrote:

I agree with you that previous government did little to develop a stronger air market. However, even COR is a "small". Most airports in the 30 list belong to hubs, major resorts or much larger cities than COR, ROS or MDZ. Cordoba, the largest metro area in Argentina after BsAs is, about 1,5million. So, probably, despite very bad development policies in the last 10 years, there is not a very big market outside BAires, which by the way represent almost 1/3 of total population.

lightsaber

Sun May 28, 2017 2:22 am

pzurita1 wrote:
MalevTU134 wrote:
pzurita1 wrote:

Interesting facts:

Because of what the note says: Official figures not published for the last 5 years, and just based in gossip and chit chat. I really have no idea how busy or empty CCS is by now. Would really appreciate to read from our fellow Venezuelan friends here.

No information =really bad news. Seriously, if an airport doesn't know within 10% how many people went through, they aren't doing there job.
IM messages to mods on warnings and bans will be ignored and nasty ones will result in a ban.

bsbisland

Mon May 29, 2017 4:00 pm

2fly2furious wrote:
bsbisland wrote:

Yeah, it's pretty embarrassing for sure. Looks like things are improving though. Norwegian Argentina and Flybondi should be launching domestic ops very soon. Argentina has seen a big shift in aviation policy towards liberalization since the current government came into power.

We hope they can truly liberalize the aviation market in the country, something that happened years ago in other countries in the region. But I wonder how such an inefficient airline such as Aerolineas Argetinas can survive in such a market.

winGl3t

Mon May 29, 2017 4:18 pm

ojjunior wrote:
I'd prefer to drive around an hour or more to fly from VCP which is 150km from SP downtown if there were more airlines/flight options from there, which is faster than reach GRU even if you're in Sao Paulo downtown due the traffic nightmare.
I would do anything to avoid that pig farm which is GRU.

Funny how perception is really a personal thing.
I'll do everything I can to avoid using VCP. Living in central São Paulo (Pacaembu) is really nice to have CGH and GRU non-stop to every corner of the world, while I consider using VCP trully lack of option for me. It is a excellent option for people in countryside Sao Paulo, though.

ojjunior

Mon May 29, 2017 4:56 pm

winGl3t wrote:
Funny how perception is really a personal thing.
I'll do everything I can to avoid using VCP. Living in central São Paulo (Pacaembu) is really nice to have CGH and GRU non-stop to every corner of the world, while I consider using VCP trully lack of option for me. It is a excellent option for people in countryside Sao Paulo, though.

We are together...
I agree that I had the same perception a few years ago but recently I was in VCP after a long hiatus and I came across an amazingly improved airport, in all aspects. Really the lack of flight options since there prevents VCP from growing, that was my starting point but, when I have to fly, if I have the option via VCP, this is my first choice.
Nowadays, if you don't mind connections you may fly from VCP to US and Europe, which are the main destinations for Brazilians traveling overseas.
Domestically, it is the opposite, there are flights to anywhere in BRAZIL as much as there are from CGH or GRU, without all the annoying access to these 2 downtown airports.
Also have in mind that there are some free shuttle services from several convenient spots in Sao Paulo to VCP from some airlines so, sometimes, I don't even need to drive there!
I don't know when it was your last VCP experience but if you can, try a flight there, see the difference from the old to the current VCP, give yourself a chance.

Superunkown

Tue May 30, 2017 1:32 am

bsbisland wrote:
2fly2furious wrote:
bsbisland wrote:

We hope they can truly liberalize the aviation market in the country, something that happened years ago in other countries in the region. But I wonder how such an inefficient airline such as Aerolineas Argetinas can survive in such a market.

With all due respect, do you live in Argentina? do you fly AR? your opinions on AR seem a bit extreme. Customer satisfaction and overall operations are not bad at all. Pax, flights, fleet and income are going up, without skyrocketting the debt/subsidies/number of employees.

Also don't forget, Argentinian citizens (like me!) get the service they deserve, in worst case, in every aspect of life. We can't expect an airline with Japanese standards.

bsbisland

Tue May 30, 2017 2:37 pm

Superunkown wrote:
bsbisland wrote:
2fly2furious wrote:

With all due respect, do you live in Argentina? do you fly AR? your opinions on AR seem a bit extreme. Customer satisfaction and overall operations are not bad at all. Pax, flights, fleet and income are going up, without skyrocketting the debt/subsidies/number of employees.

Also don't forget, Argentinian citizens (like me!) get the service they deserve, in worst case, in every aspect of life. We can't expect an airline with Japanese standards.

If you are na Argentinan aviation enthusiast and defends that backwards aviation policy, things are even worse. Yes, I know Argentina and Aerolineas Argentinas. Argentina doesn´t even have an open skies agreement with neighbour countries because of AR, resulting in high fares. Lots of Argentinians still travel by bus on long distances because of this policy, traveling by plane is still a luxury and the pathetic numbers show that.

We can only hope this is ending soon with the success of new airlines in the country and a more liberalized aviation sector.

PDPsol

Tue May 30, 2017 3:15 pm

bsbisland wrote:
2fly2furious wrote:
bsbisland wrote:

If the Macri administration can maintain its reform policy agenda, the Argentine commercial aviation sector will look completely different in 5 years. As mentioned,several new LCC initiatives are in development, involving some of the most important aviation entrepreneurs from Europe and North America. Get ready for LOTS of new competition, and new infrastructure development. This airport activity list will likely see EZE and AEP increasing their rankings over the next years, as traffic increases significantly.

- Azul Uruguay - will start MVD operations competing with Puente Aereo traffic to AEP/EZE, along with key routes to COR, ROS, etc.
- FlyBondi - starting operations by September from El Palomar with the B737NG and B737-200 MAX, apparently
- Avianca Argentina - started by Synergy SA, operating lots of new domestic flights, will totally shake up the cabotaje market. Will be even more interesting if AV can acquire AV Brasil and this operation
- Norweigan Argentina - launching both long-haul and cabotaje operations, major investment by foreign party
- LEVEL - This long-haul LCC IAG carrier will shake up the European market significantly
- OTHERS, including Amaszonas partnering with others, apparently, and even regional carriers like SKY deciding to increase their Argentine offer

Cubsrule

Tue May 30, 2017 3:43 pm

bsbisland wrote:
Lots of Argentinians still travel by bus on long distances because of this policy, traveling by plane is still a luxury and the pathetic numbers show that.

Chile has a healthy (booming?) long-distance bus sector despite a liberalized and relatively healthy air market. There is a cultural element to the buses too, so we need to be careful with cause and effect.
I can't decide whether I miss the tulip or the bowling shoe more

Superunkown

Tue May 30, 2017 9:54 pm

bsbisland wrote:
Superunkown wrote:
bsbisland wrote:

If you are na Argentinan aviation enthusiast and defends that backwards aviation policy, things are even worse. Yes, I know Argentina and Aerolineas Argentinas. Argentina doesn´t even have an open skies agreement with neighbour countries because of AR, resulting in high fares. Lots of Argentinians still travel by bus on long distances because of this policy, traveling by plane is still a luxury and the pathetic numbers show that.

We can only hope this is ending soon with the success of new airlines in the country and a more liberalized aviation sector.

So you are just freely bashing AR because of what? your views on the previous government? you should know that the "new" president is much more liberal and is authorizing new routes and new operators. It is true that there is a majority of people who travel by bus, but pax numbers in the airline sector are increasing, as well as prices are decreasing (it is not unusual to get an airfare priced as a premium bus ticket). Flybondi is approaching take off (both metaphorically as well as literally) and they say they'd be the first tru LCC in the country.

Open skies policies will achieve nothing (all you'll get is union's resistance), but at the same time several airlines are increasing routes and frequencies. As well as a major overhaul in airport infrastructure.

I am sure however you haven't flown AR in a long time (knowing the country and the airline is not the same as living here and flying them). You should give it a try. Service is not much different than on any other legacy carrier.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos