iahcsr

Re: UA Rebrand: Will this happen anytime soon?

Wed May 31, 2017 7:19 am

I'd wager what will happen is an update of the current globe livery... along the lines of KLM and QANTAS. The globe is imprinted all over the new interiors so a modified version of that is likely what it will be.
Working Hard, Flying Right Friendly....

exunited

Wed May 31, 2017 12:24 pm

JFK31R wrote:
iahcsr wrote:
Meatball anyone? :stirthepot: :duck:

I know that you're joking, but I think that's actually a great idea Image

That is probably the most disgusting and offensive use of the word United ever.

CriticalPoint

Wed May 31, 2017 12:28 pm

exunited wrote:
JFK31R wrote:
iahcsr wrote:

Agreed....all that meatball says is Lorenzo. Nothing associated with that dirt bag ever needs to come back.

Bald1983

Wed May 31, 2017 2:04 pm

deltaflyertoo wrote:
Bald1983 wrote:
Someday, you people need to get over the loss of your beloved Tulip.

Its not that people have an emotional attachment to it...its just that from a branding/logo design perspective...its absolutely timeless. Why spend millions to design something from scratch and then hope the public recognizes it when you can put (what I think looks great) a revised-gold Tulip (the red/blue version from the 80s and 90s is well dated)...I mean come-on-you have to agree it would look rather good on the blue tails and everything else the same on the current scheme.

BTW-the meatball was also timeless and created by the same man as who did the Tulip....and yes I agree-the black meatball would be preferential if it ever came back (obviously not under United though).
I am sure Continental spent millions coming up with the globe to replace the red meatball. It was also timeless. If you want timeless, maybe go back to the UAL before the tulip. The fact of the matter is, by your own words you display your emotional attachment. What it really represents is the pre-merger UAL people believe UAL was made into Continental and pre-merger Continental people resent being United. Time for all to get over it and make an airline they can be proud to be part of. In the end, to quote S main in Roxanne, "Its not the size of the nose that matters; its what's in it!"

UA444

Wed May 31, 2017 3:29 pm

Bald1983 wrote:
deltaflyertoo wrote:
Bald1983 wrote:
Someday, you people need to get over the loss of your beloved Tulip.

Its not that people have an emotional attachment to it...its just that from a branding/logo design perspective...its absolutely timeless. Why spend millions to design something from scratch and then hope the public recognizes it when you can put (what I think looks great) a revised-gold Tulip (the red/blue version from the 80s and 90s is well dated)...I mean come-on-you have to agree it would look rather good on the blue tails and everything else the same on the current scheme.

BTW-the meatball was also timeless and created by the same man as who did the Tulip....and yes I agree-the black meatball would be preferential if it ever came back (obviously not under United though).
I am sure Continental spent millions coming up with the globe to replace the red meatball. It was also timeless. If you want timeless, maybe go back to the UAL before the tulip. The fact of the matter is, by your own words you display your emotional attachment. What it really represents is the pre-merger UAL people believe UAL was made into Continental and pre-merger Continental people resent being United. Time for all to get over it and make an airline they can be proud to be part of. In the end, to quote S main in Roxanne, "Its not the size of the nose that matters; its what's in it!"

The globe looks early 90s, because it is. That is. It timelsss.

Bald1983

Wed May 31, 2017 8:00 pm

UA444 wrote:
Bald1983 wrote:
deltaflyertoo wrote:

And the tulip is even older; way older.

Bald1983

Wed May 31, 2017 8:03 pm

exunited wrote:
JFK31R wrote:
iahcsr wrote:

The black meatball harkened to a time when Continental was successful. The red meatball was Lorenzo and represented a very bad time for Continental. I suspect the livery drastically changed because the Lorenzo era so tarnished Continental's brand, that drastic changes were needed, although the change pre-dates Mr. Bethune's arrival.

GSPSPOT

Wed May 31, 2017 8:03 pm

Why not just go with the updated livery from the 787s on all mainline a/c?
Great Lakes, great life.

flyguy84

Wed May 31, 2017 8:06 pm

No. They wont spend money on a re-brand... there have been plenty of changes but one thing that hasn't is that United is CHEAP.
SFO

ER757

Wed May 31, 2017 8:38 pm

RockIsland41 wrote:
Forget the tulip. Bring back the shield! :biggrin: :duck:

Yeah - Now we're talkin' :biggrin:

I loved the photoshopped A320 with the CO meatball livery and UA name. That was one of my all-time faves, first 747 and first DC-10 I ever flew on were CO in that paint scheme so I have fond memories.

But as for a UA re-brand, I have to agree with those who say the globe will be around for a while - they just rolled out Polaris and the globe is prominently featured

NeBaNi

Wed May 31, 2017 11:06 pm

JFK31R wrote:
iahcsr wrote:

That's not an A320, that's an A319! :duck:

OneSexyL1011

Wed May 31, 2017 11:37 pm

whooooooooooooooo
the hell
Caaaaaaaaaaaaaares?

Enough already. It doesn't really matter.

When is Delta going to rebrand?
When is AA going to rebrand?
When is who the hell cares anymore going to rebrand?

As a UA employee I am so sick and tired of hearing this over, and over and over again from whatever side you're on. We have a lot of problems but "rebranding" should be the absolute last thing we look at.

/rant

dennis2380

Thu Jun 01, 2017 12:34 am

if they got rid of the united name and paint it what ever color, the bad united name needs to die with the bad service it stands for

planespotter20

Thu Jun 01, 2017 12:39 am

I like the minimalistic look of the scheme. The white is perfectly fine by me, and, similar to the new air Canada livery, what looks good on a 787 probably won't look good on a 767-300 or a320. The 787 has the right shape and wing curvature for the golden stripe to accent the livery beautifully, but slap that thing on the 767s, a320s, or 737s, and I can guarantee you it will look as ugly as the AC a321 with the raccoon look.

DL has a minimalistic livery, which I think is beautiful. AA is also very simple. UA would make a wonderful plane if they left the fuselage a beautiful white, maybe some golden streaks on the sleeker aircraft (a350, 787), and leave all the color for the end of the fuselage and the tail.

11725Flyer

Thu Jun 01, 2017 12:39 am

khinstorff wrote:
http://themichaelist.blogspot.com/2016/06/a-new-united-brand.html?m=1

It's been almost a year since this blog article was posted. Will this become a reality in the next 12 months?

No. Time to move on.

khinstorff
Topic Author

Thu Jun 01, 2017 12:49 am

11725Flyer wrote:
khinstorff wrote:

It's been almost a year since this blog article was posted. Will this become a reality in the next 12 months?

No. Time to move on.

People can complain about the discussion, but it's safe to say that the majority of folks on here would love to see, at minimum, a livery change. Despite the issues over the last few months, the airline has done a good job of improving their ops and image since Oscar took over. Why not update the dates and ugly livery?

precure787

Thu Jun 01, 2017 1:01 am

They'll likely use the tulip livery again, like how JAL revived the tsurumaru logo on the fin.
Edward Zen/Precure 787

UA444

Thu Jun 01, 2017 1:11 am

Bald1983 wrote:
UA444 wrote:
Bald1983 wrote:

The Tulip is timeless and iconic. The clip art globe isn't.

11725Flyer

Thu Jun 01, 2017 1:19 am

khinstorff wrote:
11725Flyer wrote:
khinstorff wrote:

No. Time to move on.

People can complain about the discussion, but it's safe to say that the majority of folks on here would love to see, at minimum, a livery change. Despite the issues over the last few months, the airline has done a good job of improving their ops and image since Oscar took over. Why not update the dates and ugly livery?

Don't confuse reality with a.net opinions.

khinstorff
Topic Author

Thu Jun 01, 2017 1:22 am

11725Flyer wrote:
khinstorff wrote:
11725Flyer wrote:

No. Time to move on.

I've been flying United a lot longer than I've been reading this website. You're in the minority, friend.

11725Flyer

Thu Jun 01, 2017 1:29 am

khinstorff wrote:
11725Flyer wrote:
khinstorff wrote:

I've been flying United a lot longer than I've been reading this website. You're in the minority, friend.

Fair enough. Let's both take a screen shot of your post and see what happens. A friendly wager... ;)

CONTACREW

Thu Jun 01, 2017 1:39 am

precure787 wrote:
They'll likely use the tulip livery again, like how JAL revived the tsurumaru logo on the fin.

Nope the stupid tulip is never coming back so get used to it.
Flight Attendants prepare doors for departure, cross check verify straps standby for all call

slider

Thu Jun 01, 2017 1:40 am

Yawn.

Must have been five minutes since we had a globe vs tulip, UA sucks, UA needs to rebrand thread. Carry on...

CONTACREW

Thu Jun 01, 2017 1:42 am

khinstorff wrote:
11725Flyer wrote:
khinstorff wrote:

No. Time to move on.

The livery is fine and isn't ugly at all. Besides the company needs to worry about getting the FAs on one scheduling system and the polaris retrofits not worry about the livery.
Flight Attendants prepare doors for departure, cross check verify straps standby for all call

OSUk1d

Thu Jun 01, 2017 1:49 am

AA737-823 wrote:
smi0006 wrote:
I do think UA needs a rebrand after the last year or two, and the damage that has been done to the brand- however a rebrand is the icing on the cake once you've done all the heavy lifting otherwise it's a waste of $$s. UA need a significant transformation in customer service and continued product investment - then rebrand to polish that hard work.

I'd actually (being contrarian) argue that they're in the middle of a rebrand. They make it worse... and worse... and worse.

I'm so irritated at the Basic Economy "feature" and the way it was handled; price in my home market this week (now that basic economy has been introduced) are identical to what they were last week for "real" economy. So to NOW get "real" economy, premier qual miles, lifetime miles, carry on bags, etc, I must now spend $30 each way for a total of $60 round trip MORE, for the privilege of flying on their crappy airline.
In my mind, Basic Economy should LOWER the price. Not become the new normal. But that's obviously naive optimism, when it comes to this truly frustrating airline's attitude toward customers.

So between that and the woeful rollout of the Polaris thing, with pajamas for none and gel pillows for one or two, and STILL not loading the wines on the menu... I'm done.
They can rebrand all they want.
I'll do my domestic flying on Alaska, and my international flying on the really great Star Alliance partners.

It doesn't matter what object you paint on the tail. When you alienate your Premier members, you should expect to watch revenues deteriorate.
No paint job can fix that.

You must spend? who is forcing you?
I had a gel pillow both ways to NRT last month and both ways to TLV this month, there were plenty on board, not one or two. And pajamas to/from TLV. (NRT wasn't long enough) Don't really see what the big deal is about the gel pillow though. Certainly don't see why people steal them and put them on ebay. Maybe thats why you didn't get one.

Bald1983

Thu Jun 01, 2017 2:12 am

UA444 wrote:
Bald1983 wrote:
UA444 wrote:

The Tulip is timeless and iconic. The clip art globe isn't.
Why don't you present your proof that the giving up on the tulip has cost the carrier money. That is the stupidity of those who whine about the tulip. The "rebranding" United needs to do is put the best product out there it can and make people want to fly it. Just to be clear, when you are fling in a plane, you cannot see the tail. YOu need to give up your obsession. Plant tulips in the garden if that helps.

Bald1983

Thu Jun 01, 2017 2:14 am

CONTACREW wrote:
khinstorff wrote:
11725Flyer wrote:

No. Time to move on.

The livery is fine and isn't ugly at all. Besides the company needs to worry about getting the FAs on one scheduling system and the polaris retrofits not worry about the livery.
HOW DARE YOU MAKE SENSE?!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Bald1983

Thu Jun 01, 2017 2:19 am

OneSexyL1011 wrote:
whooooooooooooooo
the hell
Caaaaaaaaaaaaaares?

As a UA employee I am so sick and tired of hearing this over, and over and over again from whatever side you're on. We have a lot of problems but "rebranding" should be the absolute last thing we look at.

/rant
People are obsessed. The average joe passenger is not going to shun United because there is no tulip. However, besides griping about having to actually pay for the service you receive when flying, people are obsessed about the tulip. However, if it helps: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zcSlcNfThUA

kngkyle

Thu Jun 01, 2017 2:26 am

I think a refreshed livery is possible but not a complete re-brand. The globe is here to stay; whether you like it or not; it's timeless.

rta

Thu Jun 01, 2017 2:37 am

The UA stock is at an all time high right now. Rebranding is the least of their problems right now.

TigerFlyer

Thu Jun 01, 2017 12:28 pm

A new livery is not "rebranding". It is a new livery. United is not going to give up one of the best known and iconic brands because of a few recent stumbles and change its name to "Chicago Air".

Valujet rebranded by taking airtran's name during the merger, but their situation was much more extreme following the Everglades crash and a string of well publicized safety issues and close calls (like nearly running out of fuel).

United's current livery is perfectly fine. Classy, and a tip of the hat to both pre merger employee groups. It is also efficient to be able to spray almost entirely in white with a few accents. It is further much easier to keep the plane cool and passengers comfortable on the ramp in Huston in the summer if it is painted white rather than battleship grey.

blockski

Thu Jun 01, 2017 1:15 pm

kngkyle wrote:
I think a refreshed livery is possible but not a complete re-brand. The globe is here to stay; whether you like it or not; it's timeless.

I think this is the most likely outcome. That doesn't mean there won't be a big shift in how the brand is seen, however.

Looking at the Polaris visual identity, you can glean some hints at where a refreshed visual identity might go. There's more use of blue, including different shades of blue and brighter blues. There's little or no gold.

Note the use of the globe logo: on the wall panel, it's the square logo with the globe in the negative space. On the IFE screen, it's the blue background with the light blue globe as a motif.

Same thing in the design for the Polaris lounges:

Different shades of more vibrant blues, compared to the deeper Navy Blue background of the original Continental livery. And lots of contrast between those blues and the whites/grays and lighting used.

I'd imagine those are the kinds of elements you'd see in a new livery. More blue, less or no gold, stronger contrast between the grays and the whites. Lots of use of the globe motif in the background.

I do think the wavy 787 livery looks good, but my understanding is that they basically licensed that wave from Boeing for use on the 787 only. I gather that was why they didn't put it on the 777-300ERs. Anyway, I don't expect that would be the direction they'd go in the future.

OneSexyL1011

Fri Jun 02, 2017 7:24 am

Bald1983 wrote:
OneSexyL1011 wrote:
whooooooooooooooo
the hell
Caaaaaaaaaaaaaares?

/rant
People are obsessed. The average joe passenger is not going to shun United because there is no tulip. However, besides griping about having to actually pay for the service you receive when flying, people are obsessed about the tulip. However, if it helps: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zcSlcNfThUA

Ha! The only people that care are UA or CO loyalists on A.net or that "other" website. That and maybe long time employees who just cant take off their rose tinted Tulip/Globe glasses.

The people that really matter? They dont care one bit.

strfyr51

Fri Jun 02, 2017 9:49 am

As much as I enjoyed the Rhapsody in Blue Paint job? Rebranding ? Is a waste of time and money at this point to rebrand. In a few years maybe, but the interiors are not all complete from the LAST rebrand. So? Rebranding and "changing Horses in the middle of the stream" seems to be a waste of time and money! Finish what We're Doing first before heading off in another direction..

VC10er

Fri Jun 02, 2017 10:27 am

There is a VAST difference between a "brand" and "branding"-- Branding changes, even the most beautiful will do nothing but harm unless it reflects a great brand. United is on a journey to fix it's brand...so far it has been getting better...although very slowly. The airline is too big to create a sense of overnight change, but in a few years with a better than 50/50 chance of flying in a true Polaris seat and product, improved service etc...only then should they send a big message via a new livery. In the meantime they can bring nicer design to the consumer "touch-points", as they are doing now. As for a dated "symbol"...yes, the globe is by the opinion of many. But so is the SINGAPORE crane. But the way SINGAPORE has kept it alive and has shown its dedication to it: it is a global symbol of luxury. They know that which is why they look for creative ways of staging her, but have resisted any call for an update. Old and dated looking logos or symbols aren't always bad: Delta widget, GE meatball, DuPont oval or Coca-Cola script for example. Had United stuck with the tulip it too could be a "Forver Mark" - but as they walked away from it they basically killed it DEAD. It's resigned to history. And let's just blame Smisek.
To Most the Sky is The Limit, For me, the Sky is Home.

Bald1983

Fri Jun 02, 2017 8:38 pm

OneSexyL1011 wrote:
Bald1983 wrote:
OneSexyL1011 wrote:
whooooooooooooooo
the hell
Caaaaaaaaaaaaaares?

/rant

Ha! The only people that care are UA or CO loyalists on A.net or that "other" website. That and maybe long time employees who just cant take off their rose tinted Tulip/Globe glasses. I believe that is what I just said.

The people that really matter? They dont care one bit.

Bald1983

Fri Jun 02, 2017 8:41 pm

VC10er wrote:
There is a VAST difference between a "brand" and "branding"-- Branding changes, even the most beautiful will do nothing but harm unless it reflects a great brand. United is on a journey to fix it's brand...so far it has been getting better...although very slowly. The airline is too big to create a sense of overnight change, but in a few years with a better than 50/50 chance of flying in a true Polaris seat and product, improved service etc...only then should they send a big message via a new livery. In the meantime they can bring nicer design to the consumer "touch-points", as they are doing now. As for a dated "symbol"...yes, the globe is by the opinion of many. But so is the SINGAPORE crane. But the way SINGAPORE has kept it alive and has shown its dedication to it: it is a global symbol of luxury. They know that which is why they look for creative ways of staging her, but have resisted any call for an update. Old and dated looking logos or symbols aren't always bad: Delta widget, GE meatball, DuPont oval or Coca-Cola script for example. Had United stuck with the tulip it too could be a "Forver Mark" - but as they walked away from it they basically killed it DEAD. It's resigned to history. And let's just blame Smisek.
The agreement to keep United's name and keep Continental's livery was done prior to the merger. It was not a Jeff Smizek fiat. However, because you have affection for the tulip, let me help: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zcSlcNfThUA

VC10er

Mon Jun 05, 2017 9:22 pm

However, because you have affection for the tulip, let me help: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zcSlcNfThUA[/quote]

Thanks for that, I do try hard to forget about growing up seeing Tiny Tim growing up! Also, Saul Bass never had a "tulip" in mind, nor a "meatball" - it was a "flying U" only. The 3 colors of the cheat lines were inspired by the sunset colors from an aircraft windows, with the blue-grey clouds below.

When we (as in the identity design business) present our work we pre-name the symbol to help mitigate the often negatively named versions employees come up with. (the 4 M logo for Met Life is called the "cats ass") internally. So, actually, "tulip" isn't so bad a name.
To Most the Sky is The Limit, For me, the Sky is Home.

exunited

Mon Jun 05, 2017 9:42 pm

Bald1983 wrote:
VC10er wrote:
The agreement to keep United's name and keep Continental's livery was done prior to the merger. It was not a Jeff Smizek fiat. However, because you have affection for the tulip, let me help: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zcSlcNfThUA

Keeping the United name and HQ in Chicago WAS part of the pre merger agreement, the ugly, uninspired, and bland livery WAS Jeff's idea and he admitted as much.

Bald1983

Tue Jun 06, 2017 4:59 am

exunited wrote:
Bald1983 wrote:
VC10er wrote:

Keeping the United name and HQ in Chicago WAS part of the pre merger agreement, the ugly, uninspired, and bland livery WAS Jeff's idea and he admitted as much.

When the merger was announced, details were also announced that the United name would survive and that Continentals livery would be adopted. That was before the merger was completed. Then there was one change in that the fonts of the name would change to all caps. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zcSlcNfThUA if you still miss your tulip.

SXDFC

Tue Jun 06, 2017 6:43 am

When UA rebrands, it will be widely rejected by many on this site. This will have quite a few members missing and wish they kept the current livery they have now.

AA777223

Tue Jun 06, 2017 2:37 pm

xxcr wrote:
what would be the point of a rebrand? it would still be the same airline.....

What they really need is a new livery. the current one OLD and needs to be replaced with a new one. Perhaps something that mixes both Continental and United to show the 2 separate brands.
In my head, i would say bring back the old Tulip that mixes with the current globe with a new color. White and the beige is getting very boring.

This is the last thing they need to do. The two companies are GONE. There are no separate brands. There is ONE brand. What you just described is exactly what they have now, a blend of the two brands - United's name with Continental's livery.

What I predict will happen, is not really a rebrand (or perhaps a mild rebrand), involving a new livery with a logo that is based on the evolved negative space, silhouetted globe. As has already been stated, the negative space globe is integrating further and further into the UA ethos. It is subtly showing up in EVERYTHING - glasses, plates, fabrics, flatware, even the little salt and peppers shakers that look like little death stars. The globe, in some form of fashion is here to stay. It doesn't mean that the new take on it and a new livery using it couldn't represent a sort of rebrand. I think that is what the next significant public face change for UA will look like.
A318/19/20/21, A300, A332/3, A343/6, A388, L1011, DC-9, DC-10, MD-11, MD-80, B722, B732/3/4/5/7/8/9, B743/4/4M, B752/3, B762/3/4, B772/E/W, B788/9, F-100, CRJ-200/700/900, ERJ-135/145/175/190, DH-8, ATR-72, DO-328, BAE-146

xxcr

Tue Jun 06, 2017 9:52 pm

AA777223 wrote:
xxcr wrote:
what would be the point of a rebrand? it would still be the same airline.....

What they really need is a new livery. the current one OLD and needs to be replaced with a new one. Perhaps something that mixes both Continental and United to show the 2 separate brands.
In my head, i would say bring back the old Tulip that mixes with the current globe with a new color. White and the beige is getting very boring.

This is the last thing they need to do. The two companies are GONE. There are no separate brands. There is ONE brand. What you just described is exactly what they have now, a blend of the two brands - United's name with Continental's livery.

What I predict will happen, is not really a rebrand (or perhaps a mild rebrand), involving a new livery with a logo that is based on the evolved negative space, silhouetted globe. As has already been stated, the negative space globe is integrating further and further into the UA ethos. It is subtly showing up in EVERYTHING - glasses, plates, fabrics, flatware, even the little salt and peppers shakers that look like little death stars. The globe, in some form of fashion is here to stay. It doesn't mean that the new take on it and a new livery using it couldn't represent a sort of rebrand. I think that is what the next significant public face change for UA will look like.

i just feel they got lazy and stuck a UNITED sticker over the old Continental. they need a brand new livery, not one that is over 20 years old

TWA772LR

Fri Jun 09, 2017 1:58 am

Out of being bored at work, I Googled "new United livery" and found these. Not too shabby.
I personally like the second one.
When wasn't America great?

The thoughts and opinions shared under this username are mine and are not influenced by my employer.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos