Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

 
ZK-NBT
Posts: 7591
Joined: Mon Oct 16, 2000 5:42 pm

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - June 2017

Sat Jun 10, 2017 4:43 am

DavidByrne wrote:
ZK-NBT wrote:
NZ have said repeatedly they have a 'pacific rim' focus meaning no more one stop flights.

Yes, but a Pacific rim "focus" doesn't mean that they won't look elsewhere if the opportunities present themselves. In the past, A-Netters have tended to take these statements much more literally than the airline intended, some arguing that IAH and EZE were not Pacific Rim, therefore implying that the strategy was dead or that the airline was being deceptive in its public statements. I think we need to take the airline's statements as a reflection of current general thinking and capable of shades of interpretation, rather than a hard and fast rule that is to be interpreted literally and applied rigidly.


Of course. While I agree with you on IAH/EZE these are served non stop from AKL and I personally think that is what NZ are about expanding the AKL hub.

Where do you think NZ could profitably serve outside of this pacific rim thinking? Remembering one stop flights are expensive to operate and NZ only have LAX-LHR now, SYD/BNE-NLK and RAR-LAX/SYD I believe are all somewhat subsidised, although not 100% sure on NLK.
 
User avatar
EK413
Posts: 5591
Joined: Sat Nov 29, 2003 3:11 pm

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - June 2017

Sat Jun 10, 2017 5:52 am

zkncj wrote:
ZK-NBT wrote:
Remember it's not really about PER-FRA as such and there will be connecting flights from the East coast, its a way of opening more destinations for QF from PER rather than going via DXB.

QF had very good loads reportedly on the daily 744 to FRA via SIN but it was an expensive operation which didn't make money, I'm not sure if it ever made money or not.

NZ won't go back to FRA and if they ever did I'm not sure they would go through PER, more likely LAX again imo, but I don't no.


Other wise maybe LH could operate the PER-FRA sector?


I remember LH have openly stated in the past they'd like return to Australia during introduction of the A380 but a lot has changed the past 10 years. Probably now with the A350 reintroducing services is possible.

EK413
Last edited by EK413 on Sat Jun 10, 2017 5:57 am, edited 2 times in total.
Good evening, ladies and gentlemen. We are tonight’s entertainment!
 
Qantas16
Posts: 781
Joined: Tue Jul 19, 2016 3:51 am

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - June 2017

Sat Jun 10, 2017 5:54 am

ZK-NBT wrote:
DavidByrne wrote:
ZK-NBT wrote:
NZ have said repeatedly they have a 'pacific rim' focus meaning no more one stop flights.

Yes, but a Pacific rim "focus" doesn't mean that they won't look elsewhere if the opportunities present themselves. In the past, A-Netters have tended to take these statements much more literally than the airline intended, some arguing that IAH and EZE were not Pacific Rim, therefore implying that the strategy was dead or that the airline was being deceptive in its public statements. I think we need to take the airline's statements as a reflection of current general thinking and capable of shades of interpretation, rather than a hard and fast rule that is to be interpreted literally and applied rigidly.


Of course. While I agree with you on IAH/EZE these are served non stop from AKL and I personally think that is what NZ are about expanding the AKL hub.

Where do you think NZ could profitably serve outside of this pacific rim thinking? Remembering one stop flights are expensive to operate and NZ only have LAX-LHR now, SYD/BNE-NLK and RAR-LAX/SYD I believe are all somewhat subsidised, although not 100% sure on NLK.


NLK is definitely subsidised. Speaking of, Norfolk Airlines first flight BNE-NLK-AKL-NLK-BNE starts on Thursday (17/6)... operated by ON.
 
zkncj
Posts: 3974
Joined: Wed Nov 09, 2005 4:57 pm

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - June 2017

Sat Jun 10, 2017 6:36 am

Qantas16 wrote:
NLK is definitely subsidised. Speaking of, Norfolk Airlines first flight BNE-NLK-AKL-NLK-BNE starts on Thursday (17/6)... operated by ON.


How many months do we give it?
 
Obzerva
Posts: 503
Joined: Wed Jan 11, 2017 3:48 am

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - June 2017

Sat Jun 10, 2017 6:42 am

EK413 wrote:
zkncj wrote:
ZK-NBT wrote:
Remember it's not really about PER-FRA as such and there will be connecting flights from the East coast, its a way of opening more destinations for QF from PER rather than going via DXB.

QF had very good loads reportedly on the daily 744 to FRA via SIN but it was an expensive operation which didn't make money, I'm not sure if it ever made money or not.

NZ won't go back to FRA and if they ever did I'm not sure they would go through PER, more likely LAX again imo, but I don't no.


Other wise maybe LH could operate the PER-FRA sector?


I remember LH have openly stated in the past they'd like return to Australia during introduction of the A380 but a lot has changed the past 10 years. Probably now with the A350 reintroducing services is possible.

EK413


Given the new codeshare agreement between CX and LH Group airlines, and the expansion of the one with SQ, I can't see LH/LX/OS back in Australia any time soon.
 
ZK-NBT
Posts: 7591
Joined: Mon Oct 16, 2000 5:42 pm

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - June 2017

Sat Jun 10, 2017 7:14 am

EK413 wrote:
zkncj wrote:
ZK-NBT wrote:
Remember it's not really about PER-FRA as such and there will be connecting flights from the East coast, its a way of opening more destinations for QF from PER rather than going via DXB.

QF had very good loads reportedly on the daily 744 to FRA via SIN but it was an expensive operation which didn't make money, I'm not sure if it ever made money or not.

NZ won't go back to FRA and if they ever did I'm not sure they would go through PER, more likely LAX again imo, but I don't no.


Other wise maybe LH could operate the PER-FRA sector?


I remember LH have openly stated in the past they'd like return to Australia during introduction of the A380 but a lot has changed the past 10 years. Probably now with the A350 reintroducing services is possible.

EK413


I remember that they mentioned via GRU I think. As above though with all the codeshares they have the market is well covered. The only thing would be a FRA-PER non stop which QF are likely to try at some point aswell.
 
User avatar
mariner
Posts: 19473
Joined: Fri Nov 23, 2001 7:29 am

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - June 2017

Sat Jun 10, 2017 8:32 am

DavidByrne wrote:
ZK-NBT wrote:
NZ have said repeatedly they have a 'pacific rim' focus meaning no more one stop flights.

Yes, but a Pacific rim "focus" doesn't mean that they won't look elsewhere if the opportunities present themselves. In the past, A-Netters have tended to take these statements much more literally than the airline intended, some arguing that IAH and EZE were not Pacific Rim, therefore implying that the strategy was dead or that the airline was being deceptive in its public statements. I think we need to take the airline's statements as a reflection of current general thinking and capable of shades of interpretation, rather than a hard and fast rule that is to be interpreted literally and applied rigidly.


Sure, and since like Qantas, they are looking at longer ranger aircraft I think we can assume that while Pacific Rim may be a metaphor, no more one-stops is still very much on the table - why else the longer range aircraft?

But I don't see non-stops from PER - leave that to Qantas - especially when all the talk is about deeper into the Americas, north and south.

mariner
aeternum nauta
 
User avatar
qf789
Moderator
Topic Author
Posts: 11370
Joined: Thu Feb 05, 2015 3:42 pm

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - June 2017

Sat Jun 10, 2017 12:43 pm

Due to ongoing crisis in ME QR has retimed some of its flights

QR904 DOH-MEL will depart 20 minutes earlier from DOH
QR914 DOH-ADL will depart 10 minutes earlier from DOH

Outbound from both MEL & ADL no change and SYD flights are still on normal schedule

PER flights
QR900 DOH-PER has been rescheduled to depart 25 minutes earlier from DOH
QR901 PER-DOH has been rescheduled to depart 45 minutes earlier from PER
Forum Moderator
 
User avatar
EK413
Posts: 5591
Joined: Sat Nov 29, 2003 3:11 pm

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - June 2017

Sun Jun 11, 2017 2:45 pm

BREAKING China Eastern #MU736 suffered serious engine failure after takeoff from Sydney

China Eastern flight #MU736 to Shanghai returned to Sydney today after engine suffered serious damage.

The Airbus A330-200 (reg. B-6099) was climbing to 5,000ft at 10:30 UTC when the engine #1 suffered cowling damage.

The failure was not inclusive and the debris badly damaged the engine cowling.

The Airbus A330-200 (reg. B-6099) landed safely at Sydney one hour later.

The engine already had several similar failures.

http://www.airlive.net/breaking-china-e ... om-sydney/

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1365487

That's serious damage glad the aircraft safely returned to SYD.

EK413
Good evening, ladies and gentlemen. We are tonight’s entertainment!
 
User avatar
mariner
Posts: 19473
Joined: Fri Nov 23, 2001 7:29 am

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - June 2017

Sun Jun 11, 2017 8:43 pm

Whatever anyone's opinion of the Queen's Birthday Honours, I think this one is very well deserved:

http://www.outinperth.com/qantas-ceo-al ... australia/

"QANTAS CEO Alan Joyce given Australia’s highest civilian honour

In the citation for the award Joyce was recognised for his service to gender equity, inclusion and diversity, the aviation and tourism industries, alongside his support of Indigenous education.

Joyce’s recognition comes just a few months after Immigration Minister Peter Dutton advised business leaders to “stick to their knitting” and not become involved in social issues."


I had not realised he is so heavily involved in Indigenous affairs, for example, as well as running n airline and a few other things. Good on ya', AJ Image

mariner
aeternum nauta
 
User avatar
EK413
Posts: 5591
Joined: Sat Nov 29, 2003 3:11 pm

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - June 2017

Sun Jun 11, 2017 9:19 pm

mariner wrote:
Whatever anyone's opinion of the Queen's Birthday Honours, I think this one is very well deserved:

http://www.outinperth.com/qantas-ceo-al ... australia/

"QANTAS CEO Alan Joyce given Australia’s highest civilian honour

In the citation for the award Joyce was recognised for his service to gender equity, inclusion and diversity, the aviation and tourism industries, alongside his support of Indigenous education.

Joyce’s recognition comes just a few months after Immigration Minister Peter Dutton advised business leaders to “stick to their knitting” and not become involved in social issues."


I had not realised he is so heavily involved in Indigenous affairs, for example, as well as running n airline and a few other things. Good on ya', AJ Image

mariner


I've said it once before & will say it once again he was the right man for the top job at QF. Well done AJ.

Where's JB these days?

EK413
Good evening, ladies and gentlemen. We are tonight’s entertainment!
 
User avatar
RyanairGuru
Posts: 8503
Joined: Wed Nov 01, 2006 3:59 am

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - June 2017

Sun Jun 11, 2017 10:53 pm

When I first saw that he was included my first thought was "that's controversial", but given that services to gender equity and indigenous education I think it is very fitting.
Worked Hard, Flew Right
 
VapourTrails
Posts: 3939
Joined: Fri Aug 17, 2001 9:30 pm

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - June 2017

Sun Jun 11, 2017 11:16 pm

EK413 wrote:
mariner wrote:
In the citation for the award Joyce was recognised for his service to gender equity, inclusion and diversity, the aviation and tourism industries, alongside his support of Indigenous education.

mariner


I've said it once before & will say it once again he was the right man for the top job at QF. Well done AJ.

EK413


:thumbsup: Congratulations to Alan Joyce on this award and recognition. I too did not realise his support of indigenous education was something else he was involved in. :thumbsup:
 
User avatar
qf2220
Posts: 1994
Joined: Fri Aug 16, 2013 9:16 pm

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - June 2017

Mon Jun 12, 2017 1:10 am

mariner wrote:
Whatever anyone's opinion of the Queen's Birthday Honours, I think this one is very well deserved:

http://www.outinperth.com/qantas-ceo-al ... australia/

"QANTAS CEO Alan Joyce given Australia’s highest civilian honour

In the citation for the award Joyce was recognised for his service to gender equity, inclusion and diversity, the aviation and tourism industries, alongside his support of Indigenous education.

Joyce’s recognition comes just a few months after Immigration Minister Peter Dutton advised business leaders to “stick to their knitting” and not become involved in social issues."


I had not realised he is so heavily involved in Indigenous affairs, for example, as well as running n airline and a few other things. Good on ya', AJ Image

mariner


Totally agree. Well done AJ.
 
TN486
Posts: 556
Joined: Mon Jul 28, 2008 11:08 am

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - June 2017

Mon Jun 12, 2017 12:15 pm

Congrats AJ. I have been on the record as a supporter of you from the Get Go, and I am so thrilled for you. Well done
remember the t shirt "I own an airline"on the front - "qantas" on the back
 
DeltaB717
Posts: 1726
Joined: Thu Jun 07, 2012 3:49 am

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - June 2017

Tue Jun 13, 2017 12:05 am

ben175 wrote:
VH-OEF is doing a few SYD-MEL-SYD runs today, anyone know why?


Bit late to the party on this one. The services in question were scheduled to operate on A333, however with QPH undergoing checks at PVG following suspected lightning strikes (and therefore an almost 24hr delay to Wednesday's QF130) it fell to OEF to operate given the upcoming long weekend.
 
F100Flyer
Posts: 90
Joined: Thu Oct 13, 2016 5:50 am

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - June 2017

Tue Jun 13, 2017 12:09 am

Around 40 passengers were removed from a SYD-PER flight as it was apparently "too heavy" and that the aircraft had a faulty fuel pump.

https://thewest.com.au/news/perth/passe ... b88505272z
 
DeltaB717
Posts: 1726
Joined: Thu Jun 07, 2012 3:49 am

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - June 2017

Tue Jun 13, 2017 2:35 am

smi0006 wrote:
Qantas16 wrote:
qf789 wrote:
QF to fly 717 between MEL, SYD and BNE on weekends from early August

https://www.ausbt.com.au/qantas-to-fly- ... e-brisbane


Makes sense to use smaller aircraft at times of weaker demand but maintain frequency... my question is where does the 717 capacity come from? We have seen quite an explosion of 717 routes in the last 18months but how many aircraft have QF added? Or are these mainly coming across from WA with weaker demand there?


I wonder if we will see these transfer from WA and be reconfigured to two class? Even increase the weekday services out of ADL/CBR could be good. LST and MQL could do with a small capacity increase. Certainly gives QF some cheap flexibility compared to VA. Maintaining semi constant frequency.

Not many operators left, wouldn't surprise me if they snap up a few more, for parts even?


It wouldn't surprise me to see a couple move over from WA, especially as one PER-ADL rotation was moved from B738 to B717 earlier this year (albeit the 125Y variant), and I can see them being useful for increasing frequency on CBR-ADL without too much additional capacity.

Incidentally, does anyone have any clue whether the B717s will operate on the BNE/MEL/SYD triangle routes with QF1xxx flight numbers as the B717s currently do, or whether for those routes QF might decide keeping the existing flight numbers is warranted? My guess is the former, but the latter has crossed my mind.
 
a320fan
Posts: 863
Joined: Fri May 01, 2009 5:04 am

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - June 2017

Tue Jun 13, 2017 8:11 am

F100Flyer wrote:
Around 40 passengers were removed from a SYD-PER flight as it was apparently "too heavy" and that the aircraft had a faulty fuel pump.

https://thewest.com.au/news/perth/passe ... b88505272z

I'm hearing that it was Overfueled, I guess QF thought it would cause the minimal amount of disruption by moving PAX to the next flight, which apparently wasn't much of a wait at all, rather than go through the hassle of de-fuelling. Non story the media has latched onto.
A319, A320, A321, A330-200, A350-900, A380, 737-700, 737-800, 777-200ER, 777-300, 777-300ER, 787-8, Q300, Q400
 
User avatar
EK413
Posts: 5591
Joined: Sat Nov 29, 2003 3:11 pm

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - June 2017

Tue Jun 13, 2017 9:13 am

a320fan wrote:
F100Flyer wrote:
Around 40 passengers were removed from a SYD-PER flight as it was apparently "too heavy" and that the aircraft had a faulty fuel pump.

https://thewest.com.au/news/perth/passe ... b88505272z

I'm hearing that it was Overfueled, I guess QF thought it would cause the minimal amount of disruption by moving PAX to the next flight, which apparently wasn't much of a wait at all, rather than go through the hassle of de-fuelling. Non story the media has latched onto.


This ran through my mind the moment I read the article. Not even news considering pax had been reaccomdated.

EK413
Good evening, ladies and gentlemen. We are tonight’s entertainment!
 
TN486
Posts: 556
Joined: Mon Jul 28, 2008 11:08 am

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - June 2017

Tue Jun 13, 2017 12:17 pm

Must be a slow news day in the west!!!!!
remember the t shirt "I own an airline"on the front - "qantas" on the back
 
User avatar
vhqpa
Posts: 1722
Joined: Mon Jul 04, 2005 8:21 pm

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - June 2017

Tue Jun 13, 2017 1:23 pm

Re: 40 pax "kicked off" QF flight SYD-PER

a320fan wrote:
F100Flyer wrote:
Non story the media has latched onto.


TN486 wrote:
Must be a slow news day in the west!!!!!


Agreed. According to flightaware the later flight (QF571) actually left the gate 3 minutes before the delayed QF569. And similarly arrived in PER a few minutes beforehand.

http://flightaware.com/live/flight/QFA569/history/20170612/0635Z/YSSY/YPPH
http://flightaware.com/live/flight/QFA571/history/20170612/0735Z/YSSY/YPPH
"There you go ladies and gentleman we're through Mach 1 the speed of sound no bumps no bangs... CONCORDE"
 
Dafydd
Posts: 18
Joined: Tue May 31, 2016 9:41 am

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - June 2017

Wed Jun 14, 2017 1:24 pm

Jetgo to fly Hervey Bay to both Brisbane and Melbourne from July 21st.

https://m.frasercoastchronicle.com.au/n ... n/3189091/
 
BenWilliam
Posts: 1
Joined: Mon Apr 26, 2010 5:39 am

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - June 2017

Wed Jun 14, 2017 8:33 pm

QF2 diverted to MEL this morning, and QF8 diverted to BNE this morning. These seem to be the only diversions, so can't be weather in Sydney. Anyone have any further information?
 
User avatar
EK413
Posts: 5591
Joined: Sat Nov 29, 2003 3:11 pm

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - June 2017

Wed Jun 14, 2017 9:58 pm

BenWilliam wrote:
QF2 diverted to MEL this morning, and QF8 diverted to BNE this morning. These seem to be the only diversions, so can't be weather in Sydney. Anyone have any further information?


More than likely the QF8 flight was payload restricted, I'm not sure as to the QF2?

EK413
Good evening, ladies and gentlemen. We are tonight’s entertainment!
 
Thai77w
Posts: 371
Joined: Sun Mar 30, 2014 10:56 am

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - June 2017

Thu Jun 15, 2017 12:35 am

Fog was forecast in SYD so BNE/MEL was planned before departure.
Aircraft types I've been on: PA31,Q300,AT75,AT76,717,733,738,739ER,763,772,77E,773,77W,788,789,744,319,320,332,333,346,359,380
 
User avatar
qf789
Moderator
Topic Author
Posts: 11370
Joined: Thu Feb 05, 2015 3:42 pm

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - June 2017

Thu Jun 15, 2017 8:38 am

China Airlines has moved forward cancellation of SYD-AKL route from 1 Dec 17 to 13 July 17

http://www.routesonline.com/news/38/air ... july-2017/
Forum Moderator
 
DobboDobbo
Posts: 1158
Joined: Thu Mar 03, 2016 1:02 am

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - June 2017

Thu Jun 15, 2017 9:13 am

qf789 wrote:
QF plans to keep DXB hub even with non-stop SYD-LHR

Article also mentions QF have not ruled out operating SYD-LHR via PER at some stage

Mentions the usual non-stops to FRA & FCO with 787's and JFK and ORD with 778's or A359ULR's, also mentions BOS as a non-stop which I find a bit odd

https://www.ausbt.com.au/qantas-to-keep ... ney-london


I wonder where in the pecking order a QF return to MAN would be as a non stop. I read that (excluding LHR) MAN is QF's largest European market via the EK JV, so it is probably in their thoughts. Issue as I perceive will be that the demand is spread over all main Australian cities and not focused on Sydney for example.
 
User avatar
sunrisevalley
Posts: 5392
Joined: Tue Jul 06, 2004 3:26 am

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - June 2017

Thu Jun 15, 2017 2:32 pm

DobboDobbo wrote:
I wonder where in the pecking order a QF return to MAN would be as a non stop. I read that (excluding LHR) MAN is QF's largest European market via the EK JV, so it is probably in their thoughts. Issue as I perceive will be that the demand is spread over all main Australian cities and not focused on Sydney for example.

This raises the question of the viability of any of BNE/SYD/MEL/ADL/PER to CMB to any of MAN/LHR/AMS/CDG/FCO/FRA or MUC using 789's either mainline or JQ. The northbound tranche would transit CMB between 2100 and 2359hrs and the southbound 23.59 to 0200 hrs.
 
qf002
Posts: 3684
Joined: Tue Jul 05, 2011 11:14 am

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - June 2017

Thu Jun 15, 2017 5:45 pm

DobboDobbo wrote:
I read that (excluding LHR) MAN is QF's largest European market via the EK JV, so it is probably in their thoughts.


My recollection is that MAN was the destination where they saw the largest growth in bookings after the JV started, not that it was the largest codeshare destination overall.

In any case, Manchester has a very domestic economy compared to London, Paris, Frankfurt etc. I doubt QF would find much of a corporate market there to support a nonstop to Australia, it's all VFR traffic and not at all suited to a low-density ULH operation.
 
DobboDobbo
Posts: 1158
Joined: Thu Mar 03, 2016 1:02 am

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - June 2017

Thu Jun 15, 2017 7:06 pm

For sure the aviation market at Manchester is less premium than London, Paris and Frankfurt, each of which is a centre of financial services.

However, Manchester is an emerging commercial centre, and MAN is the go to airport for the cities of Leeds, Liverpool and Sheffield - and to a lesser extent Newcastle and Birmingham. Whether that is enough to justify a point to point rather than a transfer via SIN, HKG, DXB, AUH, DOH is up for debate.

Do QF plan to get direct services from each of SYD, MEL, BNE, PER to a small number of European destinations (e.g. LHR, CDG, FRA) or from SYD, MEL to a wider range of European and North American destinations?
 
DeltaB717
Posts: 1726
Joined: Thu Jun 07, 2012 3:49 am

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - June 2017

Fri Jun 16, 2017 1:20 am

Re: Tigerair B738s:

* VH-VUB returned to revenue service today, Friday 16/6;
* VH-VUD returned to revenue service on Tuesday 6/6;
* VH-VOR remains operating for VA; and
* VH-VOY appears to remain in storage at this point.
 
Qantas59
Posts: 188
Joined: Sat May 04, 2013 4:51 pm

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - June 2017

Fri Jun 16, 2017 1:54 am

Does anyone know what the respective two letter airline codes for Ansett Airways and Australian National Airways were prior to the 1957 merge?
Cheers.
[photoid][photoid][/photoid][/photoid]/Users/jaytanguay/Desktop/Screen Shot 2016-10-27 at 9.30.09 AM.png
 
User avatar
qf789
Moderator
Topic Author
Posts: 11370
Joined: Thu Feb 05, 2015 3:42 pm

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - June 2017

Fri Jun 16, 2017 3:03 am

CI to go operate daily TPE-BNE-AKL from December

https://www.ausbt.com.au/china-airlines ... nd-flights
Forum Moderator
 
Qantas16
Posts: 781
Joined: Tue Jul 19, 2016 3:51 am

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - June 2017

Fri Jun 16, 2017 5:19 am

qf789 wrote:
CI to go operate daily TPE-BNE-AKL from December

https://www.ausbt.com.au/china-airlines ... nd-flights


Hopefully this becomes year round. Massive growth for CI in the Australian market coming up... I miss the CI 744's at BNE though, they were great!
 
ZK-NBT
Posts: 7591
Joined: Mon Oct 16, 2000 5:42 pm

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - June 2017

Fri Jun 16, 2017 6:31 am

Qantas16 wrote:
qf789 wrote:
CI to go operate daily TPE-BNE-AKL from December

https://www.ausbt.com.au/china-airlines ... nd-flights


Hopefully this becomes year round. Massive growth for CI in the Australian market coming up... I miss the CI 744's at BNE though, they were great!


Daily yearround you mean? CI are year round on BNE-AKL. Agree was great seeing CI 744's.
 
tigerair737
Posts: 14
Joined: Sun Feb 21, 2016 5:55 am

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - June 2017

Fri Jun 16, 2017 9:19 am

[photoid][/photoid]
qf789 wrote:
CI to go operate daily TPE-BNE-AKL from December

https://www.ausbt.com.au/china-airlines ... nd-flights


Congrats to CI on this :bouncy: . Their Brisbane flights I hear are quite popular, so a much needed increase! Sadly, one less 744 carrier at my home airport :( . The increase on BNE-AKL would also be needed considering they axed SYD-AKL flights recently.
 
Qantas16
Posts: 781
Joined: Tue Jul 19, 2016 3:51 am

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - June 2017

Fri Jun 16, 2017 11:50 am

ZK-NBT wrote:
Qantas16 wrote:
qf789 wrote:
CI to go operate daily TPE-BNE-AKL from December

https://www.ausbt.com.au/china-airlines ... nd-flights


Hopefully this becomes year round. Massive growth for CI in the Australian market coming up... I miss the CI 744's at BNE though, they were great!


Daily yearround you mean? CI are year round on BNE-AKL. Agree was great seeing CI 744's.


Yes, sorry, I meant daily year round. I realise they are 4x weekly at the moment
 
User avatar
qf789
Moderator
Topic Author
Posts: 11370
Joined: Thu Feb 05, 2015 3:42 pm

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - June 2017

Sat Jun 17, 2017 9:53 am

Comedian WIl Anderson has been arrested after being disrupted on a QF flight from SYD to WGA

http://www.news.com.au/entertainment/ce ... 6c5bfe06c6
Forum Moderator
 
User avatar
qf789
Moderator
Topic Author
Posts: 11370
Joined: Thu Feb 05, 2015 3:42 pm

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - June 2017

Sat Jun 17, 2017 9:55 am

Forum Moderator
 
qf2048
Posts: 126
Joined: Sat Apr 09, 2016 3:16 am

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - June 2017

Sat Jun 17, 2017 10:57 pm

I've just returned from a week away in HKG. Found it interesting that on the outbound QF127 passengers were connecting in HKG onto QR flight to DOH. We were around 40 mins late into HKG due to congestion in Sydney at take off. They made an announcement that QR was waiting for them. Also some CX passengers were re booked onto there next flight. Good to see Oneworld airlines co operating.
ZL,QF,KE,BA,AS,CX,FR,U2,W6,EI,IB,JL,AY,LH,AA,AC,FQ,DJ,JQ,LA,FJ,QS,NZ,NF,SB,PG,EK,AB,VA,MH,KA,VN
 
smi0006
Posts: 2590
Joined: Wed Jan 16, 2008 7:45 am

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - June 2017

Sat Jun 17, 2017 11:18 pm

[*]
qf789 wrote:


I'm not sure when/If MH reputation will recover in AU, but I've always felt a JV with MH would perfectly cover South East Asia and India not cover by 3K. I confess (thank god they didn't) in the days of Red-Q and MH were struggling QF but into MH. MH could certainly have used QFs experience in turn around a.

Be interesting to see if anything beyond codeshares actually comes of this.
 
User avatar
qf2220
Posts: 1994
Joined: Fri Aug 16, 2013 9:16 pm

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - June 2017

Sun Jun 18, 2017 7:45 am

smi0006 wrote:
[*]
qf789 wrote:


I'm not sure when/If MH reputation will recover in AU, but I've always felt a JV with MH would perfectly cover South East Asia and India not cover by 3K. I confess (thank god they didn't) in the days of Red-Q and MH were struggling QF but into MH. MH could certainly have used QFs experience in turn around a.

Be interesting to see if anything beyond codeshares actually comes of this.


Agreed. There is substantial fleet commonality which might be useful too (e.g. MX costs) and KUL would be a great place to use to compete against SIN and SQ for South East Asian/Indian/Southern China traffic.
 
log0008
Posts: 486
Joined: Fri Aug 05, 2016 12:17 pm

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - June 2017

Sun Jun 18, 2017 10:08 am

Thought this may interest some
https://www.oag.com/blog/topic/asias-hub

Recent reporting by OAG shows that Australia-India is the largest connection through SIN with 1.13 million bookings in 2016 and the 3rd largest through KUL with 450,000 bookings connecting via KUL for Australia-India.

Considering that BKK is yet to come and that some would connect through HKG (Not top 20) you could say almost 2 million passengers are connecting through the SE Asian hubs between Australia and India. Surely there must be a need for more direct services?
 
smi0006
Posts: 2590
Joined: Wed Jan 16, 2008 7:45 am

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - June 2017

Sun Jun 18, 2017 10:33 am

log0008 wrote:
Thought this may interest some
https://www.oag.com/blog/topic/asias-hub

Recent reporting by OAG shows that Australia-India is the largest connection through SIN with 1.13 million bookings in 2016 and the 3rd largest through KUL with 450,000 bookings connecting via KUL for Australia-India.

Considering that BKK is yet to come and that some would connect through HKG (Not top 20) you could say almost 2 million passengers are connecting through the SE Asian hubs between Australia and India. Surely there must be a need for more direct services?


Be interesting to see if 9W would start AU? Mumbai or better yet Hyderabad would seem better connecting points than AI and DEL which over fly much of the country. Maybe starting SYD? UL ex-MEL will be able to capture some of the market for India if they time their connections right. Although the Sri lank market itself will be significant ex-MEL.
 
log0008
Posts: 486
Joined: Fri Aug 05, 2016 12:17 pm

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - June 2017

Sun Jun 18, 2017 10:52 am

smi0006 wrote:
log0008 wrote:
Thought this may interest some
https://www.oag.com/blog/topic/asias-hub

Recent reporting by OAG shows that Australia-India is the largest connection through SIN with 1.13 million bookings in 2016 and the 3rd largest through KUL with 450,000 bookings connecting via KUL for Australia-India.

Considering that BKK is yet to come and that some would connect through HKG (Not top 20) you could say almost 2 million passengers are connecting through the SE Asian hubs between Australia and India. Surely there must be a need for more direct services?


Be interesting to see if 9W would start AU? Mumbai or better yet Hyderabad would seem better connecting points than AI and DEL which over fly much of the country. Maybe starting SYD? UL ex-MEL will be able to capture some of the market for India if they time their connections right. Although the Sri lank market itself will be significant ex-MEL.


Personally, I would love to see 9W launch MEL & SYD from BOM - split into maybe 3x weekly each. If you look at the India side (http://www.tourism.australia.com/docume ... ull-V5.pdf) the southern half of India dominate tourist flows. With the state of Maharashtra (Mumbai) being the number one source. Currently, 87% of Indian-Australia traffic fly's indirect (not including those connecting via Delhi) and is growing at 15% YOY, that has to be a massive opportunity. To put it into perspective on an average day 3000 people connect through Singapore to India each day (1.1 Million/365), enough for 5 77W flights each way!
 
aldrigsomandre
Posts: 346
Joined: Mon Nov 23, 2015 2:30 am

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - June 2017

Sun Jun 18, 2017 11:38 am

log0008 wrote:
smi0006 wrote:
log0008 wrote:
Thought this may interest some
https://www.oag.com/blog/topic/asias-hub

Recent reporting by OAG shows that Australia-India is the largest connection through SIN with 1.13 million bookings in 2016 and the 3rd largest through KUL with 450,000 bookings connecting via KUL for Australia-India.

Considering that BKK is yet to come and that some would connect through HKG (Not top 20) you could say almost 2 million passengers are connecting through the SE Asian hubs between Australia and India. Surely there must be a need for more direct services?


Be interesting to see if 9W would start AU? Mumbai or better yet Hyderabad would seem better connecting points than AI and DEL which over fly much of the country. Maybe starting SYD? UL ex-MEL will be able to capture some of the market for India if they time their connections right. Although the Sri lank market itself will be significant ex-MEL.


Personally, I would love to see 9W launch MEL & SYD from BOM - split into maybe 3x weekly each. If you look at the India side (http://www.tourism.australia.com/docume ... ull-V5.pdf) the southern half of India dominate tourist flows. With the state of Maharashtra (Mumbai) being the number one source. Currently, 87% of Indian-Australia traffic fly's indirect (not including those connecting via Delhi) and is growing at 15% YOY, that has to be a massive opportunity. To put it into perspective on an average day 3000 people connect through Singapore to India each day (1.1 Million/365), enough for 5 77W flights each way!


Purely speculating, but I have a feeling that Vistara will be the next Indian airline to launch routes to Australia.
 
a320fan
Posts: 863
Joined: Fri May 01, 2009 5:04 am

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - June 2017

Sun Jun 18, 2017 12:29 pm

aldrigsomandre wrote:
log0008 wrote:
smi0006 wrote:

Be interesting to see if 9W would start AU? Mumbai or better yet Hyderabad would seem better connecting points than AI and DEL which over fly much of the country. Maybe starting SYD? UL ex-MEL will be able to capture some of the market for India if they time their connections right. Although the Sri lank market itself will be significant ex-MEL.


Personally, I would love to see 9W launch MEL & SYD from BOM - split into maybe 3x weekly each. If you look at the India side (http://www.tourism.australia.com/docume ... ull-V5.pdf) the southern half of India dominate tourist flows. With the state of Maharashtra (Mumbai) being the number one source. Currently, 87% of Indian-Australia traffic fly's indirect (not including those connecting via Delhi) and is growing at 15% YOY, that has to be a massive opportunity. To put it into perspective on an average day 3000 people connect through Singapore to India each day (1.1 Million/365), enough for 5 77W flights each way!


Purely speculating, but I have a feeling that Vistara will be the next Indian airline to launch routes to Australia.

Nah, UK just has A320s and is purely domestic. SQ will want to protect its traffic flows of AU-India through its SIN hub.
A319, A320, A321, A330-200, A350-900, A380, 737-700, 737-800, 777-200ER, 777-300, 777-300ER, 787-8, Q300, Q400
 
aldrigsomandre
Posts: 346
Joined: Mon Nov 23, 2015 2:30 am

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - June 2017

Sun Jun 18, 2017 12:34 pm

a320fan wrote:
aldrigsomandre wrote:
log0008 wrote:

Personally, I would love to see 9W launch MEL & SYD from BOM - split into maybe 3x weekly each. If you look at the India side (http://www.tourism.australia.com/docume ... ull-V5.pdf) the southern half of India dominate tourist flows. With the state of Maharashtra (Mumbai) being the number one source. Currently, 87% of Indian-Australia traffic fly's indirect (not including those connecting via Delhi) and is growing at 15% YOY, that has to be a massive opportunity. To put it into perspective on an average day 3000 people connect through Singapore to India each day (1.1 Million/365), enough for 5 77W flights each way!


Purely speculating, but I have a feeling that Vistara will be the next Indian airline to launch routes to Australia.

Nah, UK just has A320s and is purely domestic. SQ will want to protect its traffic flows of AU-India through its SIN hub.


It was announced that they have widebody and longhaul ambitions, which is what I had based my assumption on.
 
IndianicWorld
Posts: 3404
Joined: Mon Jun 04, 2001 11:32 am

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - June 2017

Sun Jun 18, 2017 12:48 pm

UK are very unlikely to start India-Australia flights.

SQ's market strength is its SIN hub, giving it many connection options for pax to their broader network.

The only way that UK starting flights to Australia would make sense is a defensive move against increased non-stop conpetition if that eventuates. Only then do I see them considering non-stop flights but it's unlikely.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos