kaitak
Topic Author

Irish 6/17: Sciathain an tSamhradh

Wed May 31, 2017 6:20 pm

That should, if my cupla focal of Gaeilge holds up, say "Wings of Summer" ...

As we're heading into June, it's time to start our new thread. Here's the link to the old one: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1361887

Some highlights:
- Less than two weeks to QR's first DUB route (and the first scheduled A350 flight into DUB).
- A3 extending its DUB route; AC to return to DUB, operating A330s; Stobart Air to fly to SEN ... and look out for a nice treat on the 21st June ... a Swiss CS300 flying GVA-DUB (and back)
- FR's splurge of new aircraft deliveries has a brief stop - but only until Sept; 'FZX is the last - so far. However, from Sept until Jan, anther 21 are to be delivered: 4 in Sept, 5 each in Oct and Nov and SEVEN in January!
- EI receives latest A330 (and the two latest A320s enter service)
- Kevin Toland, CEO of the DAA, is to step down
- Pax numbers are DUB rise by 12% in June.
- Norwegian shuffles schedules to accommodate late 737 Max deliveries; first t/a service is actually next week, but from EDI. Irish services begin in July, with ORK to PVD, SNN-SWF (Newburgh/Stewart), DUB-SWF; DUB-PVD follows next day. Initial services will be on 738s, until more 7M8s are delivered.

OK, folks, dive in and enjoy!

OA260

Re: Irish 6/17: Sciathain an tSamhradh

Wed May 31, 2017 6:35 pm

Thanks for a new thread.

- WX is looking at acquiring another European carrier according to Pat Byrne

---

Sean Mulryan joins Knock Airport board

Developer Sean Mulryan is joining the board of Knock Airport along with two county council chief executives from the west of Ireland.

Mr Mulryan is founder and chairman of Ballymore Group, one of the Republic’s highest profile property development businesses.

Knock, now known as Ireland West Airport, confirmed on Wednesday that it is appointing him, Leitrim County Council chief executive, Frank Curran and Galway County Council chief executive, Kevin Kelly to its board.

http://www.irishtimes.com/business/tran ... -1.3103015

---

Taoiseach confirms SDZ status for Knock Airport

In one of his final acts as Taoiseach, Enda Kenny has confirmed that Ireland West Airport Knock (IWAK) will be designated as a Strategic Development Zone.
The proposal to make an order for the Ireland West Airport Knock Strategic Development Zone was agreed at the cabinet’s weekly meeting this morning, Tuesday, May 30.
“I am delighted to confirm that a Strategic Development Zone for Knock Airport has been approved by cabinet this morning,” stated Mr Kenny following this morning’s cabinet meeting.
“Today’s decision will secure the long-term development of Ireland West Airport Knock as well as attracting enterprise to the area and the provision of further employment possibilities for the people of Mayo.”

http://www.mayonews.ie/news/30121-taois ... ck-airport

neutral

Thu Jun 01, 2017 5:41 am

How are the new boarding gates in the 100 gates (Pier 1) working out I think there was a gain of 4 gates? also is the extension to the 200 gates (Pier 2) complete yet? both queries at Dublin

OA260

Thu Jun 01, 2017 8:53 am

VIDEO: Dublin Airport Central is Ireland’s next generation business destination located directly opposite Terminal 2

Dublin Airport Central is Ireland’s next generation business destination, offering unrivalled international and national connectivity, directly opposite Terminal 2.

Boasting a unique mix of business and social amenities, Dublin Airport Central is the ideal location for businesses to thrive and grow. Redefining expectations with enticing offerings, Dublin Airport Central brings the best Dublin Airport has to offer to growing national and international businesses

http://www.independent.ie/storyplus/vid ... 74132.html

---

Drop In Shannon Airport Passenger Numbers

The CSO is reporting a 4% drop in the number of passengers at Shannon Airport at the beginning of this year.

272,000 people flew through the Airport between January and March, down from 283,000 last year.
The 2017 figure is higher than in 2015, however, and traffic is expected to pick up greatly into the summer when holiday routes come on board, and when new routes from the likes of Lufthansa, SAS and Norwegian Air International get up and running.

http://www.clare.fm/news/drop-shannon-a ... r-numbers/

KIRFlyer

Thu Jun 01, 2017 1:23 pm

Cheers for the new thread Kaitak.

I was hoping to gather peoples thoughts on the following senario:

I was part of a group flying ORK-LHR-CDG-FLR with EI and AF. Tickets with each airline was booked separately. One of our group was unable to make the outbound flights, and flew DUB-PSA the following day with EI. When the remainder of our party was checking in for the original flights, we all checked in as normal, just not the person who flew to Pisa the next day (thinking that by checking him in could confuse the airline that he was going to travel, when he in fact wasn't. I thought i was being helpful, clearly not ;)).

Anyhow, we had a lovely break in Florence, and when we went to check in for the return flights, we encountered an issue with checking in online, and we were advised to check in at the airport. AF emailed us to let us know that we should check in. I was going to just wait til we got to the airport to check in, but my wife (thankfully) investigated the issue further with AF via social media. We soon discovered that because the member of our group who flew to PSA, did not use his original outbound flights, AF cancelled his whole ticket! We were dumbfounded that this occurred. This was completely new to me, never heard of it before. He had to book a whole new ticket (FLR-BRU-LHR) to get back to Heathrow in time for the Cork flight.

Has this occurred to anyone else? Or does anyone know of others who this occurred to? I read up about this type of situation afterwards and it seems that it does occur: AA being the guilty party. Do other airlines operate this policy? AF did mention when we contacted them, that it is in their terms and conditions and it is in the contract or carriage. They also mentioned that this policy is by "all legacy carriers" That is fair enough, we agreed to those when we booked the flights, but is it not a bit sneaky? Why do it? Why not contact us and be somewhat helpful and say the return sector has been cancelled for such and such a passenger.

I should add that EI did not cancel his return flight, and he was able to travel LHR-ORK with no issues! :)

OA260

Thu Jun 01, 2017 1:37 pm

KIRFlyer wrote:
I was hoping to gather peoples thoughts on the following senario:

In a case like this it is the duty of the passenger to contact the airline and advise if they are not traveling and ask if they will protect the return which they may or may not do. As you found out AF are one of those that will not and are indeed legacy in terms of their T&C's. Obviously the person traveling with you and indeed yourself did not realise this and have learned the hard way.

Do I agree with that policy... No and I think LCC and some other airlines are way ahead in terms of these policies. It is designed to stop what some airlines call abuse to get cheap one ways but plenty get caught out by it even when it is not their intention to trick the system.

dstc47

Fri Jun 02, 2017 7:58 am

Do other airlines operate this policy?

This has been the usual practice for at least the last forty years, perhaps longer and I am amazed that it should come as a shock.
Has its basis in the era when return fares, or fares over two sectors were frequently cheaper than a one way fare, which may still be true.

JAmie2k9

Sat Jun 03, 2017 1:10 am

Aer Lingus looks set to offer some new winter routes during full/part of the winter 2017/18:

Bordeux - x 4 weekly (prev only x2 around Xmas)
Bilbao - x 3 weekly
__
Venice, Lyon, Rome & Canary Islands get some extra frequency
Hamburg - x 10 weekly (x5 weekly)
Zurich - x 10 weekly (x7 weekly)

FR cut DUB-HAM from 5 to 4 weekly over winter and note the EI spoke for years about growing capacity on routes like HAM/ZUR notably based on those A319's. Good to see it finally happen but hopefully it continues into 2018 if they get extra frames.

ClassicLover

Mon Jun 05, 2017 4:01 pm

dstc47 wrote:
This has been the usual practice for at least the last forty years, perhaps longer and I am amazed that it should come as a shock.
Has its basis in the era when return fares, or fares over two sectors were frequently cheaper than a one way fare, which may still be true.

It's definitely still true and any PA worth their salt will book a return flight and no show for the return sector in order to save a company cash. Check out a one way in J on BA from Dublin to London and then check out a return flight. If you extend the return so it passes a Saturday night the fare is cheaper.

Has anyone been to the Foynes Flying Boat Museum or the Foynes Air Show? I decided to book a hotel in Limerick on the air show weekend (this year Saturday 22 July). Is anyone going? Just wondering what it is like. I've been meaning to go to the Flying Boat Museum forever so I'm finally doing it.
I do enjoy a spot of flying, especially when it's not in economy!

Joelatbsl

Mon Jun 05, 2017 9:04 pm

The Uruguay national football team flew out of Dublin today, using an Adria Airways CRJ-700 for their journey to Nice for the friendly against Italy:

http://footballcharters.blogspot.com/20 ... -2017.html

KIRFlyer

Tue Jun 06, 2017 1:51 pm

OA260, dstc47 & ClassicLover cheers for yere thoughts. I/we shall not be making the mistake twice.

abc9

Tue Jun 06, 2017 4:01 pm

Has anyone been to the Foynes Flying Boat Museum or the Foynes Air Show? I decided to book a hotel in Limerick on the air show weekend (this year Saturday 22 July). Is anyone going? Just wondering what it is like. I've been meaning to go to the Flying Boat Museum forever so I'm finally doing it.[/quote]

I've been to the museum alright, it's definitely worth doing if you're in the area, which you will be as the show will be on. It's not exactly the Museum of Flight in Seattle but it's quite quirky - the wife and kids wouldn't be be geeks about it like most of us on here but they even enjoyed it

And while you're at it, the following is worth a look too, it's quite close by
http://atlanticairventure.com/

OA260

Tue Jun 06, 2017 6:07 pm

Aer Lingus traffic growth outpaces other airlines within IAG

Aer Lingus has been the best performing unit within the International Consolidated Airlines Group (IAG) so far this year according to traffic figures published by its parent company.

IAG measures its performance using revenue passenger kilometres, a metric combining revenue with distance flown by passengers. By that measure Aer Lingus traffic is ahead 13.7% over the first five months of the year.

That's well ahead of the other brands - BA, Iberia and Vueling - within IAG. The next best performer was Spanish airline Vueling where traffic rose 8.4%.

https://www.rte.ie/news/business/2017/0 ... r-to-date/

BrianDromey

Tue Jun 06, 2017 9:26 pm

The figures are good, but as I have said before the short-haul network is being under-invested in. The network has grown by the 4 VS frames, since March 2015. I suppose the ATRs have allowed more aircraft to be transferred from UK flying to European flights, but it seems that the growth has not been as ambitious as the North America routes.
There are A321LR's on order, of course, but these are unlikely to see regular short-haul service. Maybe the occasional early morning turn on UK routes, but thats probably going to be about it.

Taity

Tue Jun 06, 2017 9:40 pm

Hi everyone, I'm looking for a recommendation.

I'm flying out of Dublin in July to Boston with Aer Lingus and for once I'm on my own. I'd like to use one of the lounges, I'm hoping to write up a full trip report as well. However I'm split between using the Aer Lingus Lounge in the terminal and the pre-clearance 51st&Green Lounge.

I don't want to rush the end so I'm tempted to get through everything early and use 51st&Green, however the Aer Lingus Lounge looks better overall. Any reccomendations?
Aer Arann • Aer Lingus • Air Canada • Air France • BMI • BMI Baby • British Airways • CityJet • Delta • EasyJet • Etihad • FlyBe • Go • Jet Blue • KLM • Lufthansa • Nok Air • Ryanair • Thai AirAsia • United • US Airways • Virgin Atlantic (Little Red)

OA260

Tue Jun 06, 2017 9:57 pm

Taity wrote:

I don't want to rush the end so I'm tempted to get through everything early and use 51st&Green, however the Aer Lingus Lounge looks better overall. Any reccomendations?

51st & Green is the one to go to .

EI321

Tue Jun 06, 2017 10:44 pm

duplicate post
Last edited by EI321 on Tue Jun 06, 2017 10:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

EI321

Tue Jun 06, 2017 10:46 pm

ClassicLover wrote:
Has anyone been to the Foynes Flying Boat Museum or the Foynes Air Show?

I visited the museum about 2 years ago. An interesting place and worth a visit if your in the area but its not spectacular. There's a full scale mock up of a flying boat fuselage and interior at the end of it.

EIDL

Tue Jun 06, 2017 10:48 pm

AF are insisting absolutely 100% that I'll make a 45 minute connection in CDG and are also saying the earlier flights DUB-CDG are fully booked. They aren't.

Anyone any experience of dealing with AF in CDG for a rebooking? There are no further flights to my final destination on AF for two days - there is one on Easyjet but its uselessly late.

If I turn up stupidly early at DUB and throw myself on the Sky Handling staff there to get the earlier flight is there any chance?

OA260

Wed Jun 07, 2017 8:20 am

EIDL wrote:

If I turn up stupidly early at DUB and throw myself on the Sky Handling staff there to get the earlier flight is there any chance?

I doubt it they are tied by the rules of AF and only in IRROPS would they rebook you. They usually refer you to AF call center. Who gave you the 45mins connecting time in the first instance? I would always advise min 90 mins having been caught out myself a few times at CDG which I hate as an airport anyway and thats before the latest security situation and extra checks. Im sure plenty make the min connection times but plenty dont.
---

Stobart Air to invest €25m as part of growth plan

Stobart Air is to invest €25m in its business as part of a three-year growth plan announced this morning.

The airline - which was formed following a change in ownership at Aer Arann - said it would also add 60 staff to its workforce, made up of 24 pilots and 36 cabin crew.

Stobart Air currently operates 43 regional routes as part of franchise agreements with Aer Lingus and Flybe, and carried almost 1.5m passengers last year.

The carrier will have a workforce of 570 after the latest expansion, with all roles expected to be filled in the coming weeks.

https://www.rte.ie/news/business/2017/0 ... owth-plan/

---

Qatar Airways to go ahead with Irish route plan

Qatar Airways’ plan to launch its first Irish route will go ahead on schedule and will be unaffected by four of Qatar’s Arab neighbours cutting diplomatic ties with the country.

Saudi Arabia — the only country to share a land border with Qatar — has closed the border, cut off trade and revoked Qatar Airways’ Saudi operating licence over allegations of Qatari support for extremist groups.

The United Arab Emirates (UAE), Bahrain, and Egypt have also cut ties with Qatar and have suspended all flights to and from the country.

In April, Qatar Airways announced its debut Irish route — marking Ireland’s first ever link with the Gulf state. The daily Dublin-Doha service will launch, as planned, next Monday and will provide Irish passengers with connection opportunities to more than 150 destinations including to the Far East and Australia.

http://www.irishexaminer.com/business/q ... 51864.html

It certainly is an unwelcome situation for the launch of the route. Even if the DUB-DOH is not affected the onward connections to various destinations are and will put people off booking.

dstc47

Wed Jun 07, 2017 8:39 am

EIDL wrote:
AF are insisting absolutely 100% that I'll make a 45 minute connection in CDG and are also saying the earlier flights DUB-CDG are fully booked. They aren't.

Well it could happen but then you might win the lottery and meet Elvis on the same day. Umpteen posts on the web of the pleasures of CDG connections suggest reasons to be cautious.

Far too tight a connection, only a source of worry before and during your first flight.

EIDL

Wed Jun 07, 2017 9:46 am

They're showing seats available on a (much, admittedly) earlier flight to CDG for 200 quid cheaper and all - going to try my luck with the Twitter staff again. Not going to go to the airport 5 hours earlier to try my luck at the ticket desk though; and the flight between that and my one seems to be full.

Eirules

Wed Jun 07, 2017 6:56 pm

I need some advice...

I booked tickets to Prague with EI in February for travel in November. Separately I booked hotels. It was for 6 people. This evening I got an email notifying me that the outbound flight on Thursday was no longer in the schedule and they'd moved me to Wednesday. I rang EI and was told my options are;
Accept the change
Move to alternative dates
Get a full refund

Alternative dates don't suit and if I was to get a refund and book with Ryanair, the tickets are now €602 more expensive than those I booked with EI.

Can I force EI to book me with FR? Do I have any other options?

Thanks
The way you cut your meat reflects the way you live....

BrianDromey

Wed Jun 07, 2017 7:46 pm

Eirules wrote:

Thanks

I don't think you can force EI to rebook you on FR. EU261 doesn't apply this far out. I've been stung like this a few times - when flights are less than daily its a disaster.
Im guessing its the 2nd or 9th as there seem to be direct EI flights on the other Thursdays in November. I can see FR flights DUB-PRG on the days for €59.99 or €69.99 My suggestion would be to get EI to refund the outbound, keep the inbound on EI and book a one-way on FR.
How many are travelling, I can't see how the flights would work out €600 more!

Eirules

Wed Jun 07, 2017 8:01 pm

BrianDromey wrote:
Eirules wrote:

Thanks

I don't think you can force EI to rebook you on FR. EU261 doesn't apply this far out. I've been stung like this a few times - when flights are less than daily its a disaster.
Im guessing its the 2nd or 9th as there seem to be direct EI flights on the other Thursdays in November. I can see FR flights DUB-PRG on the days for €59.99 or €69.99 My suggestion would be to get EI to refund the outbound, keep the inbound on EI and book a one-way on FR.
How many are travelling, I can't see how the flights would work out €600 more!

Yeah it's 9th. Our flights with EI worked out at €588 for the 6 of us. If I was to book with FR for the same dates it's €204 each, the PRG-DUB leg is what's driving up the price, so €1224 for the 6 of us!! Can I get EI to just cancel and refund the outbound but keep the inbound? In that case we're only looking at an extra €15 each

pompos

Wed Jun 07, 2017 8:21 pm

delete

JAmie2k9

Wed Jun 07, 2017 9:33 pm

Eirules

Try KLM via AMS, they can have good deals.

JAmie2k9

Wed Jun 07, 2017 10:27 pm

LH will increase FRA from 3 to 4 daily from 29 October:

DUB-FRA
05.05 - Moved from 05.45
08.55 - New Daily

FRA-DUB
07.10 - New Daily

Good to see this along with extra daily MUC in winter.

KLM could be part of the reason along with FR expanding in FRA.

OA260

Thu Jun 08, 2017 6:47 am

Dublin airport passenger numbers jump but domestic traffic dips
Over 10.9 million passengers travelled through the airport in first five months of 2017

Dublin airport passenger numbers jumped 5 per cent in May compared to the same month in 2016.

In total, 2.6 million passengers travelled through Ireland’s largest airport with transatlantic traffic witnessing the largest percentage increase. Almost 321,000 passengers travelled to and from North America in May, an increase of 18 per cent.

Domestic traveller numbers dropped by 9 per cent in the period as only 8,000 passengers flew on domestic flights in May.

Amid ongoing Brexit fears, UKtraffic increased marginally – by 1 per cent – in the period with more than 843,000 passengers travelling to UK destinations in May. Meanwhile, passenger volumes to continental Europe rose by 4 per cent with almost 1.4 million passengers travelling to European destinations.

http://www.irishtimes.com/business/tran ... -1.3110544

---

Belfast International Airport ready for 2.3 million summer rush passengers

Belfast International Airport is expected to deal with a record 2.3 million passengers between now and the end of September. According to a statement released by the airport the peak months of July and August will see more than 1.2 million passengers pass through its doors en route to and from a wide range of UK and international points. In May alone, 523,000 passengers used Northern Ireland’s principal airport - another record month. The airport, however, expects to manage 30,000 air transport movements during the period.

http://www.newsletter.co.uk/news/busine ... -1-7996970

---

CityJet to recruit ten extra trainee pilots

Irish regional airline CityJet is to recruit an extra ten trainee pilots to fill demand on existing and new routes.

The airline operates crew bases in Dublin, Brussels, London, Paris, Stockholm, Helsinki, Amsterdam, Copenhagen and a new base to open shortly in Tallinn in Estonia.

General manager of flight operations, Robert Campbell Smith, said: “Our pilot mentored cadet programme provides the starting point for an exciting career path for the successful applicants with us. CityJet continues to see significant expansion with further Bombardier CRJ-900 passenger aircraft arriving both this year and into next and additional Superjet SSJ100 to our existing fleet.

http://www.travelweekly.co.uk/articles/ ... nee-pilots

p201055r

Thu Jun 08, 2017 7:30 am

EIDL wrote:
Anyone any experience of dealing with AF in CDG for a rebooking? There are no further flights to my final destination on AF for two days - there is one on Easyjet but its uselessly late.

In my experience of CDG, 45 minutes simply isn't enough for anything!
By the time the bus driver turns up, loads the vehicle, drives around and seems to pass the same point from different directions three or four times, pulls up at one entry door, is dispatched to another door in a different building, the Gendarmerie conduct a random passport/ID check and you join an endless queue to go through yet another check, your 45 mins will be well and truly gone, your blood pressure soaring.........
In many trips to and through CDG, I can't recall any which landed "on time" or departed roughly as scheduled. There's always some inexplicable delay.
Is your onward flight departing from the same Terminal? Are you checking-in baggage?
I've found inter-terminal transfer to be a nightmare, indifferent ground staff send you this way and that and the bus drivers are just that. If you're bringing checked bags, your bags may not make the transfer between flights, even if you do.

However, you can start preparing your claim file right now. Ask AF to confirm what they say about the connection in writing or if needs be, tape a conversation (I think you're obliged to tell them you're taping).

You could try throwing yourself on the mercy of AF's handling agents in Dublin to get a cancellation on an earlier flight (if there's such a thing), but they're handling agents, after all.
How have you come to know that earlier flights aren't fully booked?

EIDL

Thu Jun 08, 2017 7:38 am

p201055r wrote:
EIDL wrote:

In my experience of CDG, 45 minutes simply isn't enough for anything!
By the time the bus driver turns up, loads the vehicle, drives around and seems to pass the same point from different directions three or four times, pulls up at one entry door, is dispatched to another door in a different building, the Gendarmerie conduct a random passport/ID check and you join an endless queue to go through yet another check, your 45 mins will be well and truly gone, your blood pressure soaring.........
In many trips to and through CDG, I can't recall any which landed "on time" or departed roughly as scheduled. There's always some inexplicable delay.
Is your onward flight departing from the same Terminal? Are you checking-in baggage?
I've found inter-terminal transfer to be a nightmare, indifferent ground staff send you this way and that and the bus drivers are just that. If you're bringing checked bags, your bags may not make the transfer between flights, even if you do.

However, you can start preparing your claim file right now. Ask AF to confirm what they say about the connection in writing or if needs be, tape a conversation (I think you're obliged to tell them you're taping).

You could try throwing yourself on the mercy of AF's handling agents in Dublin to get a cancellation on an earlier flight (if there's such a thing), but they're handling agents, after all.
How have you come to know that earlier flights aren't fully booked?

They're selling seats on them!

Everything is written, so they've no wiggle room

p201055r

Thu Jun 08, 2017 11:37 am

EIDL wrote:

======================
They're selling seats on them!

Everything is written, so they've no wiggle room

Apologies, I think I misunderstood you, and presumed you had been unable to book a seat on an earlier flight because they were sold out or that you were refused a flight change to an earlier flight, even at some greater cost to yourself.

If it all goes pear-shaped - and one hopes it won't - their line of "defence" will be that when booking your ticket DUB/CDG and knowing the timings of your CDG/final destination you should have allowed for flight delays, transit time, gate-closing time, immigration, security etc by booking an earlier flight into CDG. And there'll be babble about all of your responsibilities and less on them etc etc. :banghead:

Best of.....

EIDL

Thu Jun 08, 2017 12:47 pm

I was refused a change at any cost and a nw rt was a grand.

I've made it. I totally doubt my case has!

EIDL

Thu Jun 08, 2017 4:24 pm

And it hasn't - its now on approach to Lisbon as they managed to realise quick enough to get it on that flight that didn't leave much later; and it'll be brought up on one of the TAP/Portugalia commuter flights this evening and to my hotel tomorrow. Now to see if I can justify buying designer jocks as the 'essentials'!

AmricanShamrok

Thu Jun 08, 2017 5:21 pm

I know people in the Middle East that have had their travel plans affected by the current diplomatic situation affecting Qatar. They booked flights DXB-DOH-LHR-SNN with QR and obviously had to get on to their travel provider to rebook. The new flight itinerary they've been given is DXB-KWI-SNN with KU. As far as I'm aware, up to now it hasn't been possible to make bookings on the KU117 KWI-SNN sector (this is a security stopover on the KWI-JFK route). Could someone in the travel industry confirm that this is now possible to make bookings on it? I'm in disbelief that they'll actually be able to fly KWI-SNN and will probably end up flying a different route.

dergay

Thu Jun 08, 2017 9:12 pm

Looks like City Jet have had an incident this evening:

http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/du ... 04513.html

Despite the picture of the SSJ, it was an ARJ EI-RJY, and thankfully has landed safely at STN.
Flown on A300,A310,A318,A319,A320,A321,A330,B707,B720,B727,B737,B747,B757,B767,L382,L1011,C5,DC-3,DC8,

SuperSix2

Thu Jun 08, 2017 10:59 pm

dergay wrote:
Looks like City Jet have had an incident this evening:

http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/du ... 04513.html

Despite the picture of the SSJ, it was an ARJ EI-RJY, and thankfully has landed safely at STN.

Decompression problem apparently.

Dublinspotter

Mon Jun 12, 2017 1:04 pm

Hi all,

had a query, will EI ever consider bringing EIR to BHD and attempt to compete with BE on UK routes?

Dublinspotter
Dublinspotter

AirbusA343

Mon Jun 12, 2017 1:13 pm

The QR A350, QR17 has arrived in Dublin with a 25 minute delay. I assume the delay was due to the restrictions.

eicvd

Mon Jun 12, 2017 1:35 pm

AirbusA343 wrote:
The QR A350, QR17 has arrived in Dublin with a 25 minute delay. I assume the delay was due to the restrictions.

I know it did a go-around anyway, was a planned flyby. Was certainly nice to catch an unexpected glimpse of it.
COYBIB

AirbusA343

Mon Jun 12, 2017 4:44 pm

eicvd wrote:
AirbusA343 wrote:

I know it did a go-around anyway, was a planned flyby. Was certainly nice to catch an unexpected glimpse of it.

Yes I heard of the flyby my friend showed me pictures. I was extremely disappointed that I missed it. Then when it took off it was too far to the north to be seen. I guess I'll have to wait either till I go to London sometime next year or when Aer Lingus take delivery of their A350s for me to see it.

JAmie2k9

Mon Jun 12, 2017 5:07 pm

Dublinspotter wrote:
Hi all,

had a query, will EI ever consider bringing EIR to BHD and attempt to compete with BE on UK routes?

Dublinspotter

Unlikely, it would be up to Stobart to make such a decision and suspect the market isnt really high yielding.

EI321

Tue Jun 13, 2017 5:53 pm

Qatar Airways boss shrugs off crisis as Dublin route launched

http://www.independent.ie/business/iris ... 18126.html

OA260

Tue Jun 13, 2017 8:06 pm

Belfast Airport aims ‘Bexit’ campaign at travellers from Republic
Ads urge those in Border counties to ‘Vote to Leave’ via Belfast

Belfast International Airport is launching a “Bexit” style campaign aimed at potential passengers from the Republic, particularly those living in Border counties, encouraging them to “Vote to Leave” via Belfast.

The airport wants to use the Brexit-themed ads to highlight the advantages of flying from Belfast because of sterling weakness against the euro.

Graham Keddie, Belfast International Airport’s (BIA) managing director, said the airport intends to run a major advertising campaign specifically aimed at southern residents. It has already tweeted about its plans, initially attracting some criticism.

http://www.irishtimes.com/business/tran ... -1.3116613

--

International flight bound for New York makes emergency diversion to Shannon Airport
An international flight bound for New York was forced to divert to Shannon Airport due to an in flight emergency.

The Boeing 787-8 Dreamliner left Paris at 6.30pm local time and was scheduled to reach New York (JFK) at 8.30pm local time.
However, flight DY7019 was forced to make an emergency landing and asked for permission to land at Shannon Airport due to technical issues.

Early reports suggested that this was due to a pregnant passenger giving birth on board - but these reports were not confirmed.

The pilot then changed the plane's direction over the Atlantic Ocean and headed for Shannon.

A Norwegian spokesperson said: "We can confirm that Norwegian flight DY7019 from Paris to New York diverted to Shannon this evening as a precaution due to a technical issue.

http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/ne ... 14512.html

---

Dublin Airport enters top 20 for airport connectivity - ACI

Dublin Airport has been named one of Europe’s leading airports in direct connectivity and hub connectivity, according to a new major aviation report.

The ACI Europe Airport Industry Connectivity Report 2017 ranked European airports based on how many direct services an airport has.

It also considered the frequency of those services and the quality of the connections that are available.

Dublin Airport entered the top 20 for both direct and hub connectivity, coming in at 20th and 18th respectively.

"Air connectivity is essential for the Irish economy, which is one of the most open economies in the world", said Dublin Airport Managing Director Vincent Harrison.

https://www.rte.ie/news/business/2017/0 ... nectivity/

kaitak
Topic Author

Wed Jun 14, 2017 4:20 pm

FR is said to be close to an order (probably the launch order) for the 737-Max10, which would seat around 230-240 seats. With U2 ordering the 321 Neo (and today indicating an intention to increase its order), and Wizz doing the same, it doesn't really have a choice. Unit cost is everything in the low cost market.

The question is, how will legacy carriers, e.g. EI, respond? The Max200 (seating 196) and the Max-10 will extend FR's seat mile cost advantage over them; how will they react? Could we see EI ordering more 321 Neos, but configured short-medium haul?

Eirules

Wed Jun 14, 2017 4:57 pm

kaitak wrote:
FR is said to be close to an order (probably the launch order) for the 737-Max10, which would seat around 230-240 seats. With U2 ordering the 321 Neo (and today indicating an intention to increase its order), and Wizz doing the same, it doesn't really have a choice. Unit cost is everything in the low cost market.

The question is, how will legacy carriers, e.g. EI, respond? The Max200 (seating 196) and the Max-10 will extend FR's seat mile cost advantage over them; how will they react? Could we see EI ordering more 321 Neos, but configured short-medium haul?

Personally for EI I see it as being a number of steps. Despite the announcement, AerSpace never came to pass. There is still a demand (albeit perhaps small) for European business class. The likes of BA, LH, LX, KL etc all offer it from Dublin and while much of it may be feeding their premium long haul cabins, I have seen a number of trip reports complaining of buying transatlantic business tickets with connections through DUB and the European leg doesn't even offer a glass of water. For me, there's an opportunity for a higher ticket price that EI are missing.

In addition, I think EI (perhaps via Stobart and/or others) need to be looking at aircraft between the A320 and ATRs. We see LX with the Cseries for longer thinner routes which would open up further European markets and allow them to put bigger aircraft onto heavy European routes. Further, they need to work better with their partners in this regard. Between 6.30 & 7.30am there are 3 EI / BA flights from DUB-LHR. Could this not be consolidated to an A333 saving money for both EI and BA. We already see BA & IB wide bodies flying LHR-MAD

Just my thoughts

CanadaFair

Thu Jun 15, 2017 7:11 am

Did QR start DUB or postponed it?

OA260

Thu Jun 15, 2017 7:40 am

Jonathan Swift and Tom Crean named as low-cost airline's 'tail fin heroes'

Norwegian continues to love-bomb potential Irish customers, adding Jonathan Swift as the latest "tail fin hero" to its fleet.

http://www.independent.ie/life/travel/t ... 26405.html

pompos

Thu Jun 15, 2017 8:02 am

CanadaFair wrote:
Did QR start DUB or postponed it?

A7-BCH arrived in Dublin 100mins ago.

shamrock350

Thu Jun 15, 2017 10:27 am

Aer Lingus has used a 757 on DUB-LGW today, it's currently climbing out of LGW as EI233 on its return to DUB. I thought it was a Flightradar24 mistake but a passenger on board has tweeted their surprise at the upgraded equipment. Slightly less seats than an A320 overall so not exactly a capacity upgrade.

Anyone know why it's happened? I know Titan have been used a bit recently but the second A320 from Aeroflot arrived yesterday, maybe not in service yet.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos