User avatar
SuperSix2
Posts: 110
Joined: Tue Jun 17, 2014 11:24 am

Re: Irish 6/17: Sciathain an tSamhradh

Thu Jun 15, 2017 10:42 am

shamrock350 wrote:
Aer Lingus has used a 757 on DUB-LGW today, it's currently climbing out of LGW as EI233 on its return to DUB. I thought it was a Flightradar24 mistake but a passenger on board has tweeted their surprise at the upgraded equipment. Slightly less seats than an A320 overall so not exactly a capacity upgrade.

Anyone know why it's happened? I know Titan have been used a bit recently but the second A320 from Aeroflot arrived yesterday, maybe not in service yet.


The 757 has been used a few times this week on that route. From what ive been told, that second Aeroflot A320 had/has serious corrosion issues and would/will take longer than originally planned to repair.
Last edited by SuperSix2 on Thu Jun 15, 2017 11:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
 
User avatar
shamrock350
Posts: 5265
Joined: Mon Mar 28, 2005 12:38 am

Re: Irish 6/17: Sciathain an tSamhradh

Thu Jun 15, 2017 11:08 am

SuperSix2 wrote:
shamrock350 wrote:
Aer Lingus has used a 757 on DUB-LGW today, it's currently climbing out of LGW as EI233 on its return to DUB. I thought it was a Flightradar24 mistake but a passenger on board has tweeted their surprise at the upgraded equipment. Slightly less seats than an A320 overall so not exactly a capacity upgrade.

Anyone know why it's happened? I know Titan have been used a bit recently but the second A320 from Aeroflot arrived yesterday, maybe not in service yet.


The 757 has been used a few times this week on that route. From what ive been told, that second Aeroflot A320 has serious corrosion issues and will take longer than originally planned to repair.

I had a feeling those ex-Aeroflot birds would be troublesome.

I think it's time Aer Lingus (IAG?) ordered some actual new A320s, the last new build delivery was in 2011 I believe. This strategy of replacing leases as they expire with second hand aircraft on a one for one basis is proving unreliable with late deliveries and poorly maintained aircraft in the build up to peak summer. Aer Lingus have been using Titan for weeks and now their own 757 which should be dedicated to transatlantic flying, it must be costing them more in the long term than savings a slightly cheaper lease can provide.
 
BrianDromey
Posts: 2412
Joined: Sun Dec 10, 2006 2:23 am

Re: Irish 6/17: Sciathain an tSamhradh

Thu Jun 15, 2017 12:09 pm

I would have thought that the leasing company would be liable for at least some of the costs of the late delivery.

IAG want to run their airlines on a low capital basis. A lot like DL have been doing for years. Taking lightly used, current generation aircraft and giving them a full overhaul makes sense. Delivery times for CEOs could be a problem too - although Vueling have NTU 3 IAE powered A320s, so EI must be keen to avoid introducing another engine type.

As mentioned above a smaller jet would seem to make sense. If IAG orders C-Series at anytime, is expect to see at least a dozen with a Shamrock on the tail. It would be a fabulous aircraft for growing thin routes to Scandinavia, high frequency routes and regional bases like SNN, BHD, ORK and NOC.
 
dstc47
Posts: 1410
Joined: Thu Sep 16, 1999 3:53 am

Re: Irish 6/17: Sciathain an tSamhradh

Thu Jun 15, 2017 2:47 pm

Oxford Economics and Cambridge Economics Policy Associates have been selected to undertake a review of the capacity needs for Ireland’s state airports. In addition to identifying capacity requirements, the review will identify priorities for infrastructure provision (but probably not the Metro link?).

The review announced last year concerns the long-term development of Ireland’s state airports through to 2050, by which time Berlin should have a new airport.
 
User avatar
OA260
Posts: 23425
Joined: Thu Nov 30, 2006 8:50 pm

Re: Irish 6/17: Sciathain an tSamhradh

Thu Jun 15, 2017 4:44 pm

dstc47 wrote:
Oxford Economics and Cambridge Economics Policy Associates have been selected to undertake a review of the capacity needs for Ireland’s state airports. In addition to identifying capacity requirements, the review will identify priorities for infrastructure provision (but probably not the Metro link?).

The review announced last year concerns the long-term development of Ireland’s state airports through to 2050, by which time Berlin should have a new airport.


I doubt we will be seeing any kind of rail link at DUB for at least another 20-25 years . Such a shame really as the traffic it could take off the roads between Airport and city is substantial.
 
cc47
Posts: 122
Joined: Wed Dec 31, 2014 3:02 pm

Re: Irish 6/17: Sciathain an tSamhradh

Fri Jun 16, 2017 7:34 am

Shame to see today's WOW Air ORK-KEF service cancelled. Anyone know the reason why?
 
JAmie2k9
Posts: 1862
Joined: Mon Jan 09, 2012 5:15 pm

Re: Irish 6/17: Sciathain an tSamhradh

Fri Jun 16, 2017 1:09 pm

Dublin to Southend will return for the third time. Flybe/Stobart will operate 18 weekly flights commencing 29 October using E Jets (based on 1h20m flying time.
 
EI321
Posts: 4948
Joined: Tue Jul 07, 2009 4:43 pm

Re: Irish 6/17: Sciathain an tSamhradh

Fri Jun 16, 2017 1:10 pm

OA260 wrote:
dstc47 wrote:
Oxford Economics and Cambridge Economics Policy Associates have been selected to undertake a review of the capacity needs for Ireland’s state airports. In addition to identifying capacity requirements, the review will identify priorities for infrastructure provision (but probably not the Metro link?).

The review announced last year concerns the long-term development of Ireland’s state airports through to 2050, by which time Berlin should have a new airport.


I doubt we will be seeing any kind of rail link at DUB for at least another 20-25 years . Such a shame really as the traffic it could take off the roads between Airport and city is substantial.



The preparatory work that started around 2008/09 appears to have recommenced. The project was given full planning permission back then afaik.

https://www.cisireland.com/projectdescr ... spx?id=629
 
JAmie2k9
Posts: 1862
Joined: Mon Jan 09, 2012 5:15 pm

Re: Irish 6/17: Sciathain an tSamhradh

Fri Jun 16, 2017 3:48 pm

AF will drop CDG to 4 daily from 29 October. Mainline will operate 2 daily incl night stop, Cityjet one daily, HOP one daily.

7am ex CDG and 9am return dropped while AF reinstate the late night CDG-DUB service for the night stop which was stopped a few years ago when they dropped from 6 to 5 daily.

WX announced a while ago they were keeping CDG contract but per latest schedule update only 1 daily but guess a lot of time for it to change.

With KLM now keeping x4 daily over winter, guess not a complete surprise.
 
User avatar
aerdingus
Posts: 2709
Joined: Tue Dec 05, 2006 8:58 pm

Re: Irish 6/17: Sciathain an tSamhradh

Fri Jun 16, 2017 4:00 pm

KIRFlyer wrote:

Has this occurred to anyone else? Or does anyone know of others who this occurred to? I read up about this type of situation afterwards and it seems that it does occur: AA being the guilty party. Do other airlines operate this policy? AF did mention when we contacted them, that it is in their terms and conditions and it is in the contract or carriage. They also mentioned that this policy is by "all legacy carriers" That is fair enough, we agreed to those when we booked the flights, but is it not a bit sneaky? Why do it? Why not contact us and be somewhat helpful and say the return sector has been cancelled for such and such a passenger.

I should add that EI did not cancel his return flight, and he was able to travel LHR-ORK with no issues! :)


I booked an AF flight to CDG a few years ago on edreams. As far as I knew it was a one way, as I was continuing onto BCN, but I noticed it was a return fare! I obviously didn't fly it...and my flight to BCN wasn't compromised...maybe they have changed their policy considering the latest terrorism risks.
A306 A313 A319 A320 A321 A333 A346 A359 ATR42 ATR72 B734 B737 B738 B744 B772 B789 C152 MD80 RJ85 S340
 
User avatar
aerdingus
Posts: 2709
Joined: Tue Dec 05, 2006 8:58 pm

Re: Irish 6/17: Sciathain an tSamhradh

Fri Jun 16, 2017 4:03 pm

ClassicLover wrote:
dstc47 wrote:
Has anyone been to the Foynes Flying Boat Museum or the Foynes Air Show? I decided to book a hotel in Limerick on the air show weekend (this year Saturday 22 July). Is anyone going? Just wondering what it is like. I've been meaning to go to the Flying Boat Museum forever so I'm finally doing it.


The museum is great, just get there in time to enjoy everything!
A306 A313 A319 A320 A321 A333 A346 A359 ATR42 ATR72 B734 B737 B738 B744 B772 B789 C152 MD80 RJ85 S340
 
User avatar
OA260
Posts: 23425
Joined: Thu Nov 30, 2006 8:50 pm

Re: Irish 6/17: Sciathain an tSamhradh

Fri Jun 16, 2017 4:09 pm

EI321 wrote:
OA260 wrote:
dstc47 wrote:
Oxford Economics and Cambridge Economics Policy Associates have been selected to undertake a review of the capacity needs for Ireland’s state airports. In addition to identifying capacity requirements, the review will identify priorities for infrastructure provision (but probably not the Metro link?).

The review announced last year concerns the long-term development of Ireland’s state airports through to 2050, by which time Berlin should have a new airport.


I doubt we will be seeing any kind of rail link at DUB for at least another 20-25 years . Such a shame really as the traffic it could take off the roads between Airport and city is substantial.



The preparatory work that started around 2008/09 appears to have recommenced. The project was given full planning permission back then afaik.

https://www.cisireland.com/projectdescr ... spx?id=629


I will believe it when I see it opened.

---


Cork Airport scoops big prize in Europe

Cork Airport’s continues to rise skyward with its official recognition as the best in Europe in its category at the 27th Airports Council International (ACI) Europe General Assembly in Paris last night.

Cork was named as Best Airport in Europe under 5 million passengers at the awards, which was attended by over 400 aviation chief executives and industry leaders.

http://www.breakingnews.ie/business/cor ... 93510.html
 
User avatar
OA260
Posts: 23425
Joined: Thu Nov 30, 2006 8:50 pm

Re: Irish 6/17: Sciathain an tSamhradh

Sat Jun 17, 2017 2:32 pm

On 1st July TK will bring in their 332 for the 2nd DUB-IST flight.
 
Eirules
Posts: 1851
Joined: Sat Aug 04, 2007 5:17 am

Re: Irish 6/17: Sciathain an tSamhradh

Sat Jun 17, 2017 3:35 pm

OA260 wrote:
On 1st July TK will bring in their 332 for the 2nd DUB-IST flight.


For just the one day or for good? I have to be honest, the fact they fly a 738 to IST puts me off especially in Business. A 4hour + flight is just too much for me if you're paying for business
The way you cut your meat reflects the way you live....
 
User avatar
OA260
Posts: 23425
Joined: Thu Nov 30, 2006 8:50 pm

Re: Irish 6/17: Sciathain an tSamhradh

Sat Jun 17, 2017 4:57 pm

Eirules wrote:
OA260 wrote:
On 1st July TK will bring in their 332 for the 2nd DUB-IST flight.


For just the one day or for good? I have to be honest, the fact they fly a 738 to IST puts me off especially in Business. A 4hour + flight is just too much for me if you're paying for business


For one day . To be honest I have been lucky and got the midhaul 2-2 proper J seats when I have flown DUB-IST-DUB.
 
User avatar
AmricanShamrok
Posts: 2074
Joined: Fri May 09, 2008 2:03 pm

Re: Irish 6/17: Sciathain an tSamhradh

Sun Jun 18, 2017 1:01 pm

Are all the EI 757 flights still staffed with SNN-based cabin crew?
 
JAmie2k9
Posts: 1862
Joined: Mon Jan 09, 2012 5:15 pm

Re: Irish 6/17: Sciathain an tSamhradh

Sun Jun 18, 2017 1:29 pm

AmricanShamrok wrote:
Are all the EI 757 flights still staffed with SNN-based cabin crew?


Not sure but think since DUB got second B752 it may have changed. Almost certain some A330 crew have trained for B752 based at DUB.
 
BrianDromey
Posts: 2412
Joined: Sun Dec 10, 2006 2:23 am

Re: Irish 6/17: Sciathain an tSamhradh

Sun Jun 18, 2017 1:42 pm

AmricanShamrok wrote:
Are all the EI 757 flights still staffed with SNN-based cabin crew?


Hasn't been that way for a few years. There are DUB abased 757 crew. What I'm not sure of is weither there are 4 or 5 crew on them. As I recall crewing of the 757 was a source of IR dispute at one point. (Aren't most things at EI!)
 
rineanna
Posts: 767
Joined: Fri Jan 05, 2007 6:33 am

Re: Irish 6/17: Sciathain an tSamhradh

Mon Jun 19, 2017 12:18 pm

Post on Waterford Airport's facebook page suggests a new airline, Aer Southeast, will be formed to operate services from Waterford Airport to London, Manchester and Birmingham:

https://www.facebook.com/WaterfordAirpo ... ED&fref=nf

Branding makes it look like an Aer Arann reboot. The airline's website isn't quite operational - I probably would have waited to announce it until after the website was live!

€79 seems steep and uncompetitive with Dublin and Cork down the road, but I wish them luck and hope they can carve out a sustainable operation.
 
EI321
Posts: 4948
Joined: Tue Jul 07, 2009 4:43 pm

Re: Irish 6/17: Sciathain an tSamhradh

Mon Jun 19, 2017 4:20 pm

rineanna wrote:
Post on Waterford Airport's facebook page suggests a new airline, Aer Southeast, will be formed to operate services from Waterford Airport to London, Manchester and Birmingham:

https://www.facebook.com/WaterfordAirpo ... ED&fref=nf

Branding makes it look like an Aer Arann reboot. The airline's website isn't quite operational - I probably would have waited to announce it until after the website was live!

€79 seems steep and uncompetitive with Dublin and Cork down the road, but I wish them luck and hope they can carve out a sustainable operation.


Nice to see someone making the effort to launch a new regional Irish airline but sadly there have been numerous attempts to fly from Waterford over the years and they have all had the same fate. I would prefer to see Aer Lingus regional giving it another shot as it would likely last longer.
 
Ticketyboo
Posts: 66
Joined: Tue Jun 14, 2016 10:04 pm

Re: Irish 6/17: Sciathain an tSamhradh

Mon Jun 19, 2017 5:41 pm

JAmie2k9 wrote:
LH will increase FRA from 3 to 4 daily from 29 October:

DUB-FRA
05.05 - Moved from 05.45
08.55 - New Daily
12.10
18.00

FRA-DUB
07.10 - New Daily
10.10
16.20
21.20

Good to see this along with extra daily MUC in winter.

KLM could be part of the reason along with FR expanding in FRA.



This is indeed good news - I travel to MUC every other week and with a LH Business Class ticket being cheaper than EI Plus ticket and way less expensive than the EI Advantage ticket it's a no-brainer (and that's before you factor things like Fast-Track, reasonable food & drink offering and great customer service when they aren't on strike), added to that you don't have to use the toilet of a terminal that EI use in MUC. AerClub just isn't anything close enough as incentive to fly EI on routes such as this.
 
User avatar
OA260
Posts: 23425
Joined: Thu Nov 30, 2006 8:50 pm

Re: Irish 6/17: Sciathain an tSamhradh

Mon Jun 19, 2017 6:26 pm

rineanna wrote:
Post on Waterford Airport's facebook page suggests a new airline, Aer Southeast, will be formed to operate services from Waterford Airport to London, Manchester and Birmingham:

https://www.facebook.com/WaterfordAirpo ... ED&fref=nf

Branding makes it look like an Aer Arann reboot. The airline's website isn't quite operational - I probably would have waited to announce it until after the website was live!

€79 seems steep and uncompetitive with Dublin and Cork down the road, but I wish them luck and hope they can carve out a sustainable operation.


Wish them luck but with a broken website and fares like that it will be a tough task to make the numbers work.
 
JAmie2k9
Posts: 1862
Joined: Mon Jan 09, 2012 5:15 pm

Re: Irish 6/17: Sciathain an tSamhradh

Tue Jun 20, 2017 12:26 am

Hope it goes well for WAT this time but fares are a concern and will have a very narrow target market. LTN schedule not great either.
 
EI321
Posts: 4948
Joined: Tue Jul 07, 2009 4:43 pm

Re: Irish 6/17: Sciathain an tSamhradh

Tue Jun 20, 2017 1:11 am

New Waterford airline will use a 34-seater Saab 340


https://www.irishtimes.com/business/tra ... 1?mode=amp
 
Eirules
Posts: 1851
Joined: Sat Aug 04, 2007 5:17 am

Re: Irish 6/17: Sciathain an tSamhradh

Tue Jun 20, 2017 7:07 am

A lot of transatlantic delays into DUB this morning due to poor weather in US Northeast. EI to JFK & IAD and UA to IAD were amongst the diversions yesterday so seeing delays of 3+ hours on a number of inbounds this morning
The way you cut your meat reflects the way you live....
 
User avatar
OA260
Posts: 23425
Joined: Thu Nov 30, 2006 8:50 pm

Re: Irish 6/17: Sciathain an tSamhradh

Tue Jun 20, 2017 8:58 am

SuperJet maker hoping that CityJet's use of aircraft will boost new jet's profile

Russian aircraft maker Sukhoi is hoping that CityJet's use of the SuperJet aircraft in the Irish airline's wet-lease contract with Lufthansa-owned Brussels Airlines will boost the profile of the new jet among western European airlines.
Earlier this month CityJet took delivery of its sixth SuperJet. The Irish carrier placed an initial order for 15 of the SuperJets, with an option to acquire a further 16, in what would be a $1bn-plus outlay.

CityJet took delivery of its first SuperJet last year. It now has three of the aircraft in use at Brussels Airlines. CityJet operates the jets in Brussels Airlines livery under a so-called wet-lease contract with the carrier inked earlier this year, where CityJet provides the aircraft and crew.
CityJet, which is headed by executive chairman Pat Byrne, was the first European customer for the SuperJet-100.
The Dublin-based airline is also in the process of securing necessary permits for using the aircraft at London City Airport, but it will be 2018 at the earliest before they'll be used on routes from the facility.

http://www.independent.ie/business/iris ... 44482.html

---

Passengers stranded for three days after Cityjet flight suffers technical glitch

“If the bus that took us to Munich had carried on we would have been home by now” — so said one of more than 80 holidaymakers as they began a third day of attempting to return to Birmingham after their holiday in Austria.

Viv Spencer was one of 84 passengers who were due to fly from Innsbruck to Birmingham at 11am on Saturday 17 June. They had been on holiday in Austria with Inghams.

The CityJet aircraft taxied to the runway, but the captain identified a technical issue with an engine and returned to the terminal.

“We spent about an hour on board, but they couldn’t fix it,” Ms Spencer said. “At 2.30pm we were sent to a hotel to return the following morning.”

The party were taken to Innsbruck airport at 6am, but the flight re-scheduled for 8.30am stayed grounded. Ms Spencer said: “They thought they had fixed it, but noise regulations meant they couldn’t test it until we were on board and ready to go.”

http://www.independent.co.uk/travel/new ... 96726.html
 
User avatar
OA260
Posts: 23425
Joined: Thu Nov 30, 2006 8:50 pm

Re: Irish 6/17: Sciathain an tSamhradh

Tue Jun 20, 2017 11:16 am

FR offering this for the Summer :

Check-in hand luggage is a temporary service allowing you to check your hand luggage (1 cabin bag up to 10kg) into the hold. Add now when you check in online for just €5. Can only be added at time of check-in on the website (not available on the app or at the airport). Consequently, only 1 small (underseat) bag (35 x 20 x 20cm) will be permitted on board.
 
cc47
Posts: 122
Joined: Wed Dec 31, 2014 3:02 pm

Re: Irish 6/17: Sciathain an tSamhradh

Tue Jun 20, 2017 11:25 am

Interesting to see S5-AAP, an Adria A319 currently climbing out of Kerry Airport operating a charter to Linz. I know charters were meant to be operated this Summer but does anyone know if the Adria A319 will operate these every time or will different airlines operate it.
 
TheGeordielad
Posts: 905
Joined: Fri Jan 13, 2017 5:08 pm

Re: Irish 6/17: Sciathain an tSamhradh

Tue Jun 20, 2017 3:12 pm

 
stratocruiser
Posts: 300
Joined: Thu Feb 10, 2005 3:41 am

Re: Irish 6/17: Sciathain an tSamhradh

Thu Jun 22, 2017 9:22 am

OA260 wrote:
FR offering this for the Summer :

Check-in hand luggage is a temporary service allowing you to check your hand luggage (1 cabin bag up to 10kg) into the hold. Add now when you check in online for just €5. Can only be added at time of check-in on the website (not available on the app or at the airport). Consequently, only 1 small (underseat) bag (35 x 20 x 20cm) will be permitted on board.


Not quite sure why you would want to do this as the advantage of having your hand luggage in the cabin is not having to wait for luggage to be unloaded. I wonder how many takers there will be for this?
 
User avatar
alancostello
Posts: 226
Joined: Tue Mar 07, 2017 4:31 pm

Re: Irish 6/17: Sciathain an tSamhradh

Thu Jun 22, 2017 10:02 am

stratocruiser wrote:
OA260 wrote:
FR offering this for the Summer :

Check-in hand luggage is a temporary service allowing you to check your hand luggage (1 cabin bag up to 10kg) into the hold. Add now when you check in online for just €5. Can only be added at time of check-in on the website (not available on the app or at the airport). Consequently, only 1 small (underseat) bag (35 x 20 x 20cm) will be permitted on board.


Not quite sure why you would want to do this as the advantage of having your hand luggage in the cabin is not having to wait for luggage to be unloaded. I wonder how many takers there will be for this?


I would imagine there'll be quite a few takers, my parents, for example, would happily pay a fiver not to have to worry about getting their bag on the plane and carrying it through, and not to have to worry about toiletries and security.
 
BrianDromey
Posts: 2412
Joined: Sun Dec 10, 2006 2:23 am

Re: Irish 6/17: Sciathain an tSamhradh

Thu Jun 22, 2017 10:16 am

alancostello wrote:
I would imagine there'll be quite a few takers, my parents, for example, would happily pay a fiver not to have to worry about getting their bag on the plane and carrying it through, and not to have to worry about toiletries and security.


The toiletries would be the main reason I think. Also, FR have probably realised that a lot of large, heavy bags are having to be gate checked anyway, so they might as well make a few bob out of it. Even if they get 2 on every flight they would have up to €18,000 in incremental revenue!
 
User avatar
OA260
Posts: 23425
Joined: Thu Nov 30, 2006 8:50 pm

Re: Irish 6/17: Sciathain an tSamhradh

Thu Jun 22, 2017 9:48 pm

alancostello wrote:
stratocruiser wrote:
OA260 wrote:
FR offering this for the Summer :

Check-in hand luggage is a temporary service allowing you to check your hand luggage (1 cabin bag up to 10kg) into the hold. Add now when you check in online for just €5. Can only be added at time of check-in on the website (not available on the app or at the airport). Consequently, only 1 small (underseat) bag (35 x 20 x 20cm) will be permitted on board.


Not quite sure why you would want to do this as the advantage of having your hand luggage in the cabin is not having to wait for luggage to be unloaded. I wonder how many takers there will be for this?


I would imagine there'll be quite a few takers, my parents, for example, would happily pay a fiver not to have to worry about getting their bag on the plane and carrying it through, and not to have to worry about toiletries and security.


For me it would depend on the situation. I can think of many times Id gladly check it as I hate carrying a case on and off aircraft. Id rather just check it.
 
SURFER
Posts: 159
Joined: Fri May 02, 2008 6:08 pm

Re: Irish 6/17: Sciathain an tSamhradh

Thu Jun 22, 2017 10:21 pm

The B787-10 made its debut on Irish soil for the first time when it performed a fuel stop in SNN on its way back to Seattle from the Paris Air show on Tuesday.
Great looking aircraft would look even better in EI colours :D
 
Dardania
Posts: 110
Joined: Tue Jun 07, 2016 11:05 am

Re: Irish 6/17: Sciathain an tSamhradh

Fri Jun 23, 2017 4:06 am

[url][/url]
SURFER wrote:
The B787-10 made its debut on Irish soil for the first time when it performed a fuel stop in SNN on its way back to Seattle from the Paris Air show on Tuesday.
Great looking aircraft would look even better in EI colours :D


Indeed, but from looking at gcmap, if it can't make CDG-SEA in a presumably light config, it would be limited to east coast ops for EI (as no way to achieve DUB-LAX)
 
User avatar
OA260
Posts: 23425
Joined: Thu Nov 30, 2006 8:50 pm

Re: Irish 6/17: Sciathain an tSamhradh

Fri Jun 23, 2017 9:23 am

Musician thrown off Aer Lingus flight for attempting to stow her violin in the cabin

Freelance musician and Alexander Technique tutor Aingeala De Búrca claims that she was removed from the flight from Bristol to Dublin this week when she attempted to stow her instrument in the overhead locker

A violinist has alleged that she was removed from an Aer Lingus flight from Bristol to Dublin on Sunday when she attempted to stow her instrument in the overhead locker.

Freelance musician and Alexander Technique tutor Aingeala De Búrca, who is based in Stockholm and Sweden, says the issue arose when an employee of Menzies Aviation, which is contracted by Aer Lingus/Stobart Air to provide ground staff at Bristol Airport, informed her that she would have to check her instrument into the hold. The man identified himself as ‘Nick’ the flight dispatcher, but would not provide a surname:

‘No amount of pleading or explaining that [my violin] was too fragile and would be almost certain to be damaged in the hold had any impact on him,’ said De Búrca. ‘He seemed deaf to anything I had to say and continued to talk over me, treating me with disdain and disrespect.’

She continued: ‘When Nick turned away from me to someone else, I moved away and joined the queue for the plane. I fully intended to speak to the crew to ask for help. I talked to others in the queue who let me go ahead. When I boarded the plane, I spoke to the first cabin crew person and she asked me to sit to one side for a while. As I sat in the last row, I watched others board: some with really big bags, some with more than one. I was furious. All I had was one violin and a small cloth bag with some small essentials in it such as my phone, purse and passport.’

De Búrca then took the decision to move to her assigned seat, stowing the violin in the overhead compartment above her. However Nick entered the cabin once the plane was fully boarded and informed the musician ‘that he had the power to ban me from flying with the airline again and threatened me with arrest by the police.’

http://www.thestrad.com/violinist-throw ... ent-cabin/
 
User avatar
RRTrent
Posts: 459
Joined: Sat Aug 29, 2015 8:12 am

Re: Irish 6/17: Sciathain an tSamhradh

Fri Jun 23, 2017 12:25 pm

Dardania wrote:
[url][/url]
SURFER wrote:
The B787-10 made its debut on Irish soil for the first time when it performed a fuel stop in SNN on its way back to Seattle from the Paris Air show on Tuesday.
Great looking aircraft would look even better in EI colours :D


Indeed, but from looking at gcmap, if it can't make CDG-SEA in a presumably light config, it would be limited to east coast ops for EI (as no way to achieve DUB-LAX)


Purely guesswork, but I would imagine this has something to do with fueling the aircraft at an airshow with 1000's of people strolling around. I'd guess it arrived with enough fuel on board to do its display's & get to SNN for top it up and head back to PAE.
 
JAmie2k9
Posts: 1862
Joined: Mon Jan 09, 2012 5:15 pm

Re: Irish 6/17: Sciathain an tSamhradh

Fri Jun 23, 2017 1:05 pm

Japan Airlines to operate a direct charter to DUB in August. Most likely a B767.

"Club Tourism Inc, one of the leading travel agencies in Japan, will bring the first ever direct flight from Asia to Ireland, this August – with some 240 Japanese flying to Dublin on a charter flight operated by Japan Airlines. Senior representatives of Club Tourism Inc and Tourism Ireland attended an event in Tokyo today (Friday, 23 June), hosted by the Irish Ambassador to Japan, Anne Barrington. "
https://www.tourismireland.com/Press-Re ... d-in-Tokyo
 
tonystan
Posts: 1656
Joined: Sat Jan 07, 2006 7:39 am

Re: Irish 6/17: Sciathain an tSamhradh

Fri Jun 23, 2017 2:19 pm

JAmie2k9 wrote:
Japan Airlines to operate a direct charter to DUB in August. Most likely a B767.

"Club Tourism Inc, one of the leading travel agencies in Japan, will bring the first ever direct flight from Asia to Ireland, this August – with some 240 Japanese flying to Dublin on a charter flight operated by Japan Airlines. Senior representatives of Club Tourism Inc and Tourism Ireland attended an event in Tokyo today (Friday, 23 June), hosted by the Irish Ambassador to Japan, Anne Barrington. "
https://www.tourismireland.com/Press-Re ... d-in-Tokyo


I'm sure that a 767 would require a costly refuelling stop enroute. Would it not be more efficient to use one of their 787s?
My views are my own and do not reflect any other person or organisation.
 
JAmie2k9
Posts: 1862
Joined: Mon Jan 09, 2012 5:15 pm

Re: Irish 6/17: Sciathain an tSamhradh

Fri Jun 23, 2017 2:30 pm

tonystan wrote:
JAmie2k9 wrote:
Japan Airlines to operate a direct charter to DUB in August. Most likely a B767.

"Club Tourism Inc, one of the leading travel agencies in Japan, will bring the first ever direct flight from Asia to Ireland, this August – with some 240 Japanese flying to Dublin on a charter flight operated by Japan Airlines. Senior representatives of Club Tourism Inc and Tourism Ireland attended an event in Tokyo today (Friday, 23 June), hosted by the Irish Ambassador to Japan, Anne Barrington. "
https://www.tourismireland.com/Press-Re ... d-in-Tokyo


I'm sure that a 767 would require a costly refuelling stop enroute. Would it not be more efficient to use one of their 787s?


The numbers coming are 240 and the B787 fleet have capacity for less than 200. If not a B767 then B773ER
 
User avatar
alancostello
Posts: 226
Joined: Tue Mar 07, 2017 4:31 pm

Re: Irish 6/17: Sciathain an tSamhradh

Fri Jun 23, 2017 3:14 pm

JAmie2k9 wrote:
tonystan wrote:
JAmie2k9 wrote:
Japan Airlines to operate a direct charter to DUB in August. Most likely a B767.

"Club Tourism Inc, one of the leading travel agencies in Japan, will bring the first ever direct flight from Asia to Ireland, this August – with some 240 Japanese flying to Dublin on a charter flight operated by Japan Airlines. Senior representatives of Club Tourism Inc and Tourism Ireland attended an event in Tokyo today (Friday, 23 June), hosted by the Irish Ambassador to Japan, Anne Barrington. "
https://www.tourismireland.com/Press-Re ... d-in-Tokyo


I'm sure that a 767 would require a costly refuelling stop enroute. Would it not be more efficient to use one of their 787s?


The numbers coming are 240 and the B787 fleet have capacity for less than 200. If not a B767 then B773ER


JAL's domestic 767s have a capacity of around 230-250, but international config are less than 200, it could be either the international config 772ER(245 pax in J and Y which seems perfect) or 77W(244 though this has First Class which seems unlikely).
 
JAmie2k9
Posts: 1862
Joined: Mon Jan 09, 2012 5:15 pm

Re: Irish 6/17: Sciathain an tSamhradh

Fri Jun 23, 2017 8:53 pm

KLM to keep the fifth daily over winter (x2 last winter) and mainline KLM will operate 2 or 5 daily including night stopping in DUB. Includes latest AMS departure ex DUB at 19.45.

They have not even operated the route for 12 months yet, really surprising to see how they kept EI as the feed for so long.
 
Eirules
Posts: 1851
Joined: Sat Aug 04, 2007 5:17 am

Re: Irish 6/17: Sciathain an tSamhradh

Fri Jun 23, 2017 9:15 pm

JAmie2k9 wrote:
KLM to keep the fifth daily over winter (x2 last winter) and mainline KLM will operate 2 or 5 daily including night stopping in DUB. Includes latest AMS departure ex DUB at 19.45.

They have not even operated the route for 12 months yet, really surprising to see how they kept EI as the feed for so long.


KL/AF (and DL) are offering very cheap fares in both economy and business ex DUB at the moment, for travel this summer and as far out as Easter 2018. Business tickets for €1300 to USA and Y fares under €350. The likes of BA/AA and EI are matching in some cases but often dearer
The way you cut your meat reflects the way you live....
 
User avatar
OA260
Posts: 23425
Joined: Thu Nov 30, 2006 8:50 pm

Re: Irish 6/17: Sciathain an tSamhradh

Fri Jun 23, 2017 9:18 pm

Eirules wrote:
Business tickets for €1300 to USA


Been as low as EUR950 if you know when and where to look . Expect more flash sales over the next 3 months.
 
JAmie2k9
Posts: 1862
Joined: Mon Jan 09, 2012 5:15 pm

Re: Irish 6/17: Sciathain an tSamhradh

Fri Jun 23, 2017 9:24 pm

Eirules wrote:
JAmie2k9 wrote:
KLM to keep the fifth daily over winter (x2 last winter) and mainline KLM will operate 2 or 5 daily including night stopping in DUB. Includes latest AMS departure ex DUB at 19.45.

They have not even operated the route for 12 months yet, really surprising to see how they kept EI as the feed for so long.


KL/AF (and DL) are offering very cheap fares in both economy and business ex DUB at the moment, for travel this summer and as far out as Easter 2018. Business tickets for €1300 to USA and Y fares under €350. The likes of BA/AA and EI are matching in some cases but often dearer


Not a surprise, partly because of DY.

I'm told 60-70% of KLM traffic was short haul connections via AMS. They were actually surprised a few months ago when they say the trends.
 
Eirules
Posts: 1851
Joined: Sat Aug 04, 2007 5:17 am

Re: Irish 6/17: Sciathain an tSamhradh

Fri Jun 23, 2017 10:42 pm

[threeid][/threeid]
OA260 wrote:
Eirules wrote:
Business tickets for €1300 to USA


Been as low as EUR950 if you know when and where to look . Expect more flash sales over the next 3 months.


Feel free to send me a PM with the details Philip ;)
The way you cut your meat reflects the way you live....
 
BestWestern
Posts: 8297
Joined: Fri Sep 08, 2000 8:46 pm

Re: Irish 6/17: Sciathain an tSamhradh

Sat Jun 24, 2017 5:59 am

How long have SK flown the 320neo on ARN DUB?
Greetings from Hong Kong.... a subsidiary of China Inc.
 
User avatar
OA260
Posts: 23425
Joined: Thu Nov 30, 2006 8:50 pm

Re: Irish 6/17: Sciathain an tSamhradh

Sat Jun 24, 2017 8:35 am

I flew the seasonal charter route BOJ-BFS which is running from June to September with FB. Never flown with them before but have to say the flight was great and on board service pretty decent with friendly crew. This service seems to be doing very well. Passport control and baggage reclaim all were pretty quick in BFS too.


Image
.
Image
.
Image
.
Image
.
Image
.
Image


Was great to see the mini aviation park at BOJ. I remember these flying into Dublin and Belfast in the 90's.


Image
 
User avatar
AirbusA343
Posts: 269
Joined: Sat Sep 24, 2016 8:38 am

Re: Irish 6/17: Sciathain an tSamhradh

Sat Jun 24, 2017 3:43 pm

TK is sending an A330-200 on the 1st of July on the TK1977 slot :D . Very rare, happened only twice(?) last year. The next day they are sending out an A321 which is pretty rare but nowhere as rare as the A332. I really hope that the route becomes A330 operates but I doubt it. Even regular A321s would be nice but I don't think that's gonna happen.
 
User avatar
OA260
Posts: 23425
Joined: Thu Nov 30, 2006 8:50 pm

Re: Irish 6/17: Sciathain an tSamhradh

Sat Jun 24, 2017 4:39 pm

AirbusA343 wrote:
TK is sending an A330-200 on the 1st of July on the TK1977 slot :D . Very rare, happened only twice(?) last year. The next day they are sending out an A321 which is pretty rare but nowhere as rare as the A332. I really hope that the route becomes A330 operates but I doubt it. Even regular A321s would be nice but I don't think that's gonna happen.


Yeah I posted it above I have friends booked on it in J so they are very happy :) Sadly it wont become a regular A330 route.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos