Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

KTPAFlyer
Topic Author

New Virgin Australia safety video

Thu Jun 01, 2017 2:57 pm

Quite clever actually, this is definitely one of the better ones I've seen lately.

https://youtu.be/hG0x0BLA3uM

jeffh747

Re: New Virgin Australia safety video

Thu Jun 01, 2017 4:26 pm

It is very different than any of the recent new safety videos. I actually like it a lot, the way they communicate the required safety information, especially when explaining the location of the emergency exits and the illuminated path lighting.
Well done to the Velocity team!

Jeff
ATR-72-600, A318 A319 A320 A320neo A321 A321neo A332 A333 B717 B727 B734 B73G B738 B739 B752 B762 B763 B772 B788 CRJ2 DHC6 DHC8-300 E145 E190 MD82 MD83 MD90 SF340B

smi0006

Thu Jun 01, 2017 11:22 pm

I've got to disagree it's aweful. It's awkwardly silent onboard the aircraft when it plays. Need some decent background music.

Something in the tone of the language is a bit smarmy for me - 'this is Jamie, he's a good driver'

Hard to understand certain parts when's Jamie has helmet on, hard to hear his voice and you can't see his face. Not very clever for those hard of hearing, or when English isn't the first language.

Sums Virgin up for me; trying to be cool, but fails awkwardly. They should stick to the classy branding 'bringing the romance back' when they first changed from DJ to VA that was a winner.

https://youtu.be/tGnSgmbJ-pg

FirstBizFlyer

Fri Jun 02, 2017 12:16 am

This one is pretty bad. Who wants to hear all of that car noise for 5 minutes? I'm all for innovative safety videos, but I don't get this one at all. Too bad cuz Virgin is a great brand and this doesn't capture any of that essence at all.

tullamarine

Fri Jun 02, 2017 12:50 am

I quite like it. It's good that airlines are trying to be a bit more imaginative in their safety videos these days. NZ is probably the leader in this. Of course, there have been some shockers!!! Qantas'cricket video from a couple of years ago has "Hall of Fame"status for how not to do these videos but its newer efforts are also much improved.
717, 721/2, 732/3/4/5/7/8/9, 742/3/4, 752/3, 762/3, 772/E/W, 788/9, 300,310, 319,320/1, 332/3, 359, 388, DC9, DC10, F28, F100, 142,143, E75/90, CR2, D82/3/4, SF3, ATR

RoySFlying

Fri Jun 02, 2017 2:01 am

This is the version that was played on my flight from SYD to PER last December (2016). I did find parts of it amusing but I'm not all that keen on these sorts of videos.

I can see that airlines are trying to be innovative and trying to get passengers to pay attention, but when you see some videos you wonder what on earth have they to do with safety in the air. The other thing is that some of these videos become much longer than they need be to convey the message. That can lose passengers' attention.

What next? At Christmas, special videos showing Santa stowing the presents in the overhead locker on the sleigh while the reindeer don their life vests?

N415XJ

Fri Jun 02, 2017 3:01 am

I kind of like it. It's way more interesting than the two extremes: monotonous ones that don't make any effort to be interesting, or ones that try too hard to be interesting and just end up being embarrassing. To people that have flown Virgin, do they put subtitles on the videos? I feel like this would be a sensible thing to do because it was a bit hard to understand the driver when he had the helmet on.

Also, I'd love to see (or maybe even conduct) a scientific study that examines whether or not these over-engineered "interesting" videos have any impact on passenger safety during an emergency.

jnev3289

Fri Jun 02, 2017 4:00 am

I think it's fairly clear these are marketing videos that also act as safety videos. They're not doing all these fancy things so that passengers figure out how to buckle their seat belts and put their phone on airplane mode. They're made so people see them in their home and get reminded to book their holiday flight or get encouraged to buy a weekend flight since they have a long weekend coming up.

TigerFlyer

Fri Jun 02, 2017 5:32 am

It struck me as long, boring, and irrelevant. The briefing requirements were buried in there somewhere, but you had to hunt for them. I couldn't care less about race cars, so I would have immediately tuned it out. In my opinion safety videos should be filmed onboard the aircraft, and if they can be delivered with wit and humor to keep people's attention, so much the better.

And well I'm at it, in the 21st century, can we PLEASE eliminate the requirement to show people how to buckle a seatbelt and devote that time to relevant information for aircraft: how to open the exit doors and use the slides in an emergency.

LoganTheBogan

Fri Jun 02, 2017 10:06 am

When I flew from Sydney to Perth in December 2016 I was quite disappointed. There's an awkward silence in the cabin along with an awkward cabin crew demonstration while the video is playing.
In reality, unless you're into cars, it's a pretty boring video to watch for 5 minutes. As much as I hate doing this, I ended up just staring out the window when they were demonstrating safety measures.
Even in general, Virgin Australia's experience has gone down quite a lot since I last flew with them. Sure the A330 is a lot more comfortable than their 737's but just the overall mood in the cabin is disappointing. I guess I'll stick with Qantas for future domestic flights.
Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new.

N415XJ

Sun Jun 04, 2017 2:00 am

TigerFlyer wrote:
And well I'm at it, in the 21st century, can we PLEASE eliminate the requirement to show people how to buckle a seatbelt and devote that time to relevant information for aircraft: how to open the exit doors and use the slides in an emergency.

It's actually extremely important to remind people of this. In a stressful situation like a plane crash, passengers will revert to trying to open seatbelt buckles as if they were car-style buckles, the type of buckle the average person is very familiar with so operating it is implanted in their muscle memory. IIRC there have been actual crashes where people were delayed in exiting the plane because they couldn't remember how to open the seatbelt due to high stress and fear. While putting this in the safety video (which most people tune out anyway) obviously won't cure this problem, including it in the tired, almost universally identical safety video 'script' many travelers are familiar with can help put the operation of the unique airline-style buckle into the passengers' subconscious. I'm a private pilot and make a point during safety briefings to have my passengers practice opening their seat belts to put operating them into their muscle memory.

Here is an article about this:
https://www.usatoday.com/story/travel/c ... /86951436/

Also, several airlines used to include door/slide instructions in their videos, but the fact of the matter is that the crew will be able to help with this in 99% of cases. Plus, this info is in the safety cards and all doors have instructions painted on them in huge red letters explaining how to open them.

andrefranca

Sun Jun 04, 2017 2:16 am

as it's said in brazil: "for the straight people to see" lol

Nabz82

Sun Jun 04, 2017 3:10 am

one of the worst videos I've seen.. it's a Safety Video.. no need for humor or sports cars.. keep it simple, professional, and easy to understand.. preferably not talking behind a helmet.. People are not only not paying more attention, but may probably laugh it off as a gimmick.. We have Pay Tv, and other means to keep us entertained.. a Safety Video is not a platform for Entertainment.. its for serious Safety instructions for serious situations.. get serious and soften the annoying accent.

jnev3289

Sun Jun 04, 2017 3:26 am

Nabz82 wrote:
one of the worst videos I've seen.. it's a Safety Video.. no need for humor or sports cars.. keep it simple, professional, and easy to understand.. preferably not talking behind a helmet.. People are not only not paying more attention, but may probably laugh it off as a gimmick.. We have Pay Tv, and other means to keep us entertained.. a Safety Video is not a platform for Entertainment.. its for serious Safety instructions for serious situations.. get serious and soften the annoying accent.

You must be a blast at parties

tullamarine

Sun Jun 04, 2017 3:36 am

get serious and soften the annoying accent.

So you suggest Australians shouldn't have an Australian accent :banghead:
717, 721/2, 732/3/4/5/7/8/9, 742/3/4, 752/3, 762/3, 772/E/W, 788/9, 300,310, 319,320/1, 332/3, 359, 388, DC9, DC10, F28, F100, 142,143, E75/90, CR2, D82/3/4, SF3, ATR

TN486

Sun Jun 04, 2017 7:58 am

in 3 words "absolutely bleeding terrible"
remember the t shirt "I own an airline"on the front - "qantas" on the back

gatibosgru

Sun Jun 04, 2017 9:45 am

It's cute, but the car noises would annoy me.
@DadCelo

TigerFlyer

Sun Jun 04, 2017 10:15 am

N415XJ wrote:
TigerFlyer wrote:

It's actually extremely important to remind people of this. In a stressful situation like a plane crash, passengers will revert to trying to open seatbelt buckles as if they were car-style buckles, the type of buckle the average person is very familiar with so operating it is implanted in their muscle memory. IIRC there have been actual crashes where people were delayed in exiting the plane because they couldn't remember how to open the seatbelt due to high stress and fear. While putting this in the safety video (which most people tune out anyway) obviously won't cure this problem, including it in the tired, almost universally identical safety video 'script' many travelers are familiar with can help put the operation of the unique airline-style buckle into the passengers' subconscious. I'm a private pilot and make a point during safety briefings to have my passengers practice opening their seat belts to put operating them into their muscle memory.

Here is an article about this:
https://www.usatoday.com/story/travel/c ... /86951436/

Also, several airlines used to include door/slide instructions in their videos, but the fact of the matter is that the crew will be able to help with this in 99% of cases. Plus, this info is in the safety cards and all doors have instructions painted on them in huge red letters explaining how to open them.

Seriously, how many times have you seen panic break out amount the thousands of passengers you've seen deplane because they couldn't operate the seatbelt? As an ATP and flight instructor, I brief my passengers on how to operate the sliding top canopy and how to kick out a window in case we wind upside down in an emergency. The seatbelt is pretty self explanatory.

LoganTheBogan

Sun Jun 04, 2017 10:38 am

Just another note, the terrible sounding cars and the person talking in the helmet is just about impossible to understand through the bad quality headsets and intercoms on an aircraft.
Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new.

danair380

Sun Jun 04, 2017 10:54 am

The Qantas safety vid is soo much better. It's entertaining, theres no awkward silences and it promotes Australian and not just supercar races.

RyanairGuru

Sun Jun 04, 2017 12:18 pm

I had low expectations, and this was even worse than in my nightmares.

Terrible. Terrible. Terrible.

I'm not adverse to amusing videos, I think that Virgin America, United and the current Qantas videos hit the mark, as do some of the Air New Zealand and Delta videos (although others from both are admittedly awful). This, though, is dispicable. I would rather watch either the Qantas Summer of Safety or Air New Zealand Fit to Fly, which I thought (until today) were the lowest of the lows in the history of airline safety videos.

While the video in its entirety is appalling, there is one thing that confused me specifically. Notwithstanding the content, which is perplexing in itself, I can not understand why at least 2 of the speakers (I think it's actually four but I lost count) have British accents and are clearly not Australian.
Worked Hard, Flew Right

N415XJ

Sun Jun 04, 2017 2:23 pm

TigerFlyer wrote:
Seriously, how many times have you seen panic break out amount the thousands of passengers you've seen deplane because they couldn't operate the seatbelt? As an ATP and flight instructor, I brief my passengers on how to operate the sliding top canopy and how to kick out a window in case we wind upside down in an emergency. The seatbelt is pretty self explanatory.

People can revert to familiar behaviors in times of high stress. Reminding people how to use their seatbelts is not only an FAA requirement, which as an instructor and ATP I hope you know, but it makes sense and can help correct for a known psychological phenomenon. Plus, it takes like 5 extra seconds. Unless your passenger is an experienced pilot or instructor, I don't see why you'd leave this info out.

14 CFR 91.107(a)(1)

Here's a scientific publication describing this phenomenon:

https://books.google.com/books?id=bEBi_ ... ss&f=false

DocLightning

Sun Jun 04, 2017 6:20 pm

The thing about safety videos is that it's better to be blandly inoffensive then to be hot/cold. This is one of those videos that's hot/cold, meaning that you either love it or hate it. I'm in the "hate it" camp. Some of you are in the "love it" camp. We can agree to disagree. (You're still wrong, though. ;) )
-Doc Lightning-

"The sky calls to us. If we do not destroy ourselves, we will one day venture to the stars."
-Carl Sagan

redroo

Sun Jun 04, 2017 10:19 pm

Its hard to hear the voices and the noise of the cars is annoying.
A fail.

tjcab

Sun Jun 04, 2017 11:26 pm

jnev3289 wrote:
Nabz82 wrote:

You must be a blast at parties

The thing is, we are not at a party. I agree with Nabz82 for the most part. Then think of the diversity of the passengers. Some things are best left to a format that most people can digest and expect. Someone with limited language/hearing abilities may not make the connection between overhead lockers and a tool shelf - under seat and under a tool cabinet. Some may think it's a promotional clip.To each is own I guess, for me this is no good.

Galaxy1530

Mon Jun 05, 2017 12:59 am

Hello all...
Nice to know that VA has done a new safety video. Can't wait to watch it!!!
People who dream of flying will always dream of flying until it comes true, like me!
-Galaxy1530